Generic Name: amlodipine and celecoxib
Dosage Form: Tablets
Date of Approval: May 31, 2018
Company: Kitov Pharma Ltd.
Treatment for: Hypertension and Osteoarthritis Pain
FDA Approves Consensi
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved Consensi (amlodipine besylate and celecoxib), an antihypertensive calcium channel blocker and a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) combination for the treatment of hypertension and osteoarthritis pain.
Read this Patient Information carefully before you start treatment. This information does not take the place of talking with your doctor about your medical condition or your treatment.
Consensi contains celecoxib, a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), and amlodipine, a calcium channel blocker (CCB). NSAIDs can cause serious side effects, including:
- Increased risk of a heart attack or stroke that can lead to death. This risk may happen early in treatment and may increase:
- with increasing doses of NSAIDs
- with longer use of NSAIDs
Do not take Consensi right before or after a heart surgery called a “coronary artery bypass graft” (CABG).
Avoid taking Consensi after a recent heart attack, unless your healthcare provider tells you to. You may have an increased risk of another heart attack if you take NSAIDs after a recent heart attack.
- Increased risk of bleeding, ulcers, and tears (perforation) of the esophagus (tube leading from the mouth to the stomach), stomach, and intestines:
- anytime during use
- without warning symptoms
- that may cause death
- past history of stomach ulcers, or stomach or intestinal bleeding with use of NSAIDs
- taking medicines called “corticosteroids”, “anticoagulants”, “selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)”, or “serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs)”
- increasing doses of NSAIDs
- longer use of NSAIDs
- drinking alcohol
- older age
- poor health
- advanced liver disease
- bleeding problems
You should not take other medicines that contain NSAIDs or salicylates during treatment with Consensi because of increased risk of stomach problems. Taking other medicines that contain NSAIDs or salicylates during treatment with Consensi will not provide increased relief of symptoms of osteoarthritis.
Consensi should only be used:
- exactly as prescribed
- at the lowest dose possible for your treatment
- for the shortest time needed
What is Consensi?
Consensi is a prescription medicine used in adults who need treatment:
- with amlodipine for high blood pressure (hypertension), to lower blood pressure, and
- with celecoxib for the management of the signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis.
It is not known if this medicine is safe and effective in children.
Who should not take Consensi?
Do not take Consensi:
- if you are allergic to amlodipine, celecoxib or any of the inactive ingredients in Consensi. See the end of this Medication Guide for a complete list of ingredients.
- if you have had an asthma attack, hives, or other allergic reaction with aspirin or any other NSAIDs.
- right before or after heart bypass surgery
- if you have had an allergic reaction to sulfonamides.
Before taking Consensi
Before taking Consensi, tell your healthcare provider about all your medical conditions, including if you:
- have heart problems.
- have liver or kidney problems.
- have asthma.
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Talk to your healthcare provider if you are considering taking Consensi during pregnancy. You should not take Consensi after 29 weeks of pregnancy.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. Consensi can pass into your breast milk. It is not known if Consensi will harm your baby. Talk with your healthcare provider about the best way to feed your baby if you take Consensi.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, or herbal supplements. Consensi and some other medicines can interact with each other and cause serious side effects. Do not start taking any new medicine without talking to your healthcare provider first.
How should I take Consensi?
- Take Consensi exactly as your healthcare provider tells you to.
- Take one tablet orally each day.
- If your pain stops, do not stop taking Consensi until your healthcare provider prescribes a different medicine to treat your blood pressure. Your healthcare provider will monitor your blood pressure when changing to the new medicine.
- If you take too much or overdose, call your healthcare provider or get medical help right away.
Consensi side effects
Consensi can cause serious side effects, including:
- See Important information.
- liver problems, including liver failure
- worsening chest pain (angina) or heart attack, particularly in people with severe obstructive coronary artery disease
- heart failure
- swelling of your arms, legs, hands and feet (peripheral edema) is common with Consensi but can sometimes be serious.
- kidney problems, including kidney failure
- increased potassium levels (hyperkalemia)
- life-threatening allergic reactions
- life-threatening skin reactions
- low red blood cells (anemia)
Your healthcare provider will monitor your blood pressure and do blood tests to check you for side effects during treatment.
Consensi may cause fertility problems in females that is reversible when treatment is stopped. Talk to your healthcare provider if this is a concern for you.
The most common side effects include:
- swelling of the arms, legs, hands, and feet
- joint swelling
- stomach pain
- frequent urination
- hot or warm feeling in your face (flushing)
- extreme sleepiness
Get emergency help right away if you get any of the following symptoms:
- shortness of breath or trouble breathing
- chest pain
- weakness in one part or side of your body
- slurred speech
- swelling of the face or throat
Stop treatment and call your healthcare provider right away if you get any of the following symptoms:
- more tired or weaker than usual
- your skin or eyes look yellow
- indigestion or stomach pain
- flu-like symptoms
- vomit blood
- there is blood in your bowel movement or it is black and sticky like tar
- unusual weight gain
- skin rash or blisters with fever
- swelling of the arms, legs, hands and feet
These are not all the possible side effects. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
How should I store Consensi?
- Store the tablets at room temperature between 68° and 77°F (20°C to 25°C).
Keep all medicines out of the reach of children.
Other information about NSAIDs
- Aspirin is an NSAID but it does not increase the chance of a heart attack. Aspirin can cause bleeding in the brain, stomach, and intestines. Aspirin can also cause ulcers in the stomach and intestines.
- Some NSAIDs are sold in lower doses without a prescription (over-the- counter). Talk to your healthcare provider before using over-the-counter NSAIDs for more than 10 days.
General information about the safe and effective use of Consensi
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes other than those listed in a Medication Guide. Do not use this medicine for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give it to other people, even if they have the same symptoms that you have. It may harm them. If you would like more information, talk with your healthcare provider. You can ask your pharmacist or healthcare provider for information that is written for health professionals.
What are the ingredients in Consensi?
Active ingredients: amlodipine and celecoxib
Inactive ingredients: mannitol DC 200, croscarmellose sodium, povidone K-30, sodium lauryl sulfate, magnesium stearate, and colloidal silicon dioxide.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Frequently Asked Questions
More about Consensi (amlodipine / celecoxib)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- 3 Reviews
- Drug class: cox-2 inhibitors
- FDA Alerts (1)
- FDA Approval History