House dust mite allergen extract (Sublingual)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on May 29, 2022.
Dermatophagoides farinae and Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus extracts can cause life-threatening allergic reactions such as anaphylaxis and severe laryngopharyngeal restriction. Do not administer to patients with severe, unstable or uncontrolled asthma. Observe patients in the office for at least 30 minutes following the initial dose. Prescribe auto-injectable epinephrine, instruct and train patients on its appropriate use, and instruct patients to seek immediate medical care upon its use. Dermatophagoides farinae extract/Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus extract may not be suitable for patients with certain underlying medical conditions that may reduce their ability to survive a serious allergic reaction, as well as for those who may be unresponsive to epinephrine or inhaled bronchodilators, such as those taking beta-blockers .
Commonly used brand name(s)
In the U.S.
Available Dosage Forms:
Therapeutic Class: Immunological Agent
Uses for house dust mite allergen extract
Odactra™ is an allergen extract that is used to treat symptoms of allergic rhinitis, with or without conjunctivitis, caused by house dust mites. House dust mite allergen extract contains house dust mite allergen extract from Dermatophagoides farinae and Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus. It works by exposing the patient's immune system to house dust mite allergens to reduce the symptoms of hay fever.
House dust mite allergen extract is available only with your doctor's prescription.
Before using house dust mite allergen extract
In deciding to use a medicine, the risks of taking the medicine must be weighed against the good it will do. This is a decision you and your doctor will make. For house dust mite allergen extract, the following should be considered:
Tell your doctor if you have ever had any unusual or allergic reaction to house dust mite allergen extract or any other medicines. Also tell your health care professional if you have any other types of allergies, such as to foods, dyes, preservatives, or animals. For non-prescription products, read the label or package ingredients carefully.
Appropriate studies have not been performed on the relationship of age to the effects of Odactra™ in the pediatric population. Safety and efficacy have not been established.
Appropriate studies have not been performed on the relationship of age to the effects of Odactra™ in the geriatric population. Safety and efficacy have not been established.
There are no adequate studies in women for determining infant risk when using this medication during breastfeeding. Weigh the potential benefits against the potential risks before taking this medication while breastfeeding.
Interactions with medicines
Although certain medicines should not be used together at all, in other cases two different medicines may be used together even if an interaction might occur. In these cases, your doctor may want to change the dose, or other precautions may be necessary. Tell your healthcare professional if you are taking any other prescription or nonprescription (over-the-counter [OTC]) medicine.
Interactions with food/tobacco/alcohol
Certain medicines should not be used at or around the time of eating food or eating certain types of food since interactions may occur. Using alcohol or tobacco with certain medicines may also cause interactions to occur. Discuss with your healthcare professional the use of your medicine with food, alcohol, or tobacco.
Other medical problems
The presence of other medical problems may affect the use of house dust mite allergen extract. Make sure you tell your doctor if you have any other medical problems, especially:
- Allergic reaction after taking any sublingual allergen immunotherapy or
- Allergic reaction, systemic and severe, history of or
- Asthma, severe (unstable or poorly controlled) or
- Eosinophilic esophagitis, history of—Should not be used in patients with these conditions.
- Angina, unstable or
- Arrhythmia (heart rhythm problem) or
- Heart attack, recent or
- Hypertension (high blood pressure), uncontrolled or
- Lung disease—Use with caution. May increase risk for more serious side effects.
- Mouth ulcers or
- Oral thrush or
- Oral wounds after dental surgery or tooth extraction—These conditions should be healed first before using house dust mite allergen extract.
Proper use of house dust mite allergen extract
You must take your first dose of Odactra™ in a doctor's clinic or hospital. This is done to observe you for at least 30 minutes for possible allergic reactions. If the first dose is well tolerated, then you can take Odactra™ at home.
House dust mite allergen extract should come with a Medication Guide. Read and follow the instructions carefully. Ask your doctor if you have any questions.
Your doctor will give you a medicine called epinephrine. This is to be used to relieve a severe allergic reaction. Your doctor will give you instructions on how to use it properly.
- Take the tablet from the blister unit after carefully removing the foil with dry hands.
- Place the tablet under your tongue where it will dissolve within 10 seconds.
- Avoid swallowing for at least 1 minute.
- Wash your hands after handling the tablet.
- Do not eat or drink any liquid for 5 minutes after taking the medicine.
The dose of house dust mite allergen extract will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor's orders or the directions on the label. The following information includes only the average doses of house dust mite allergen extract. If your dose is different, do not change it unless your doctor tells you to do so.
The amount of medicine that you take depends on the strength of the medicine. Also, the number of doses you take each day, the time allowed between doses, and the length of time you take the medicine depend on the medical problem for which you are using the medicine.
- For oral dosage form (tablet):
- For allergic rhinitis caused by house dust mites:
- Adults—1 tablet once a day.
- Children—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.
- For allergic rhinitis caused by house dust mites:
If you miss a dose of house dust mite allergen extract, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double doses.
Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep from freezing.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Do not keep outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
Ask your healthcare professional how you should dispose of any medicine you do not use.
Keep the medicine in the original package until use to protect from moisture.
Precautions while using house dust mite allergen extract
It is very important that your doctor check your progress at regular visits. This will allow your doctor to see if the medicine is working properly and to decide if you should continue to take it.
House dust mite allergen extract may cause serious allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis can be life-threatening and requires immediate medical attention. Call your doctor right away if you have a rash, itching, chest pain, trouble breathing, trouble swallowing, or any swelling of your hands, face, or mouth while you are using house dust mite allergen extract.
House dust mite allergen extract may cause sores in the mouth or throat, which can lead to difficulty with breathing. Tell your doctor right away if you have trouble breathing or swallowing.
Do not take other medicines unless they have been discussed with your doctor. This includes prescription or nonprescription (over-the-counter [OTC]) medicines and herbal or vitamin supplements.
House dust mite allergen extract side effects
Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur:
Incidence not known
- difficulty with swallowing
- fast heartbeat
- hives, itching, or skin rash
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips or tongue
- sores or ulcers on the tongue
- tightness in the chest
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Get emergency help immediately if any of the following symptoms of overdose occur:
Symptoms of overdose
- Changes in voice
- large, hive-like swelling on the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs
Some side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Change in taste
- itching in the ear
- itching or swelling in the mouth
- stomach pain
Other side effects not listed may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your healthcare professional.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Frequently asked questions
More about house dust mite allergen extract
- Other brands
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.