How do you take Odactra?
- With dry hands, remove the Odactra tablet from the blister pouch after removing the foil. Place the tablet under your tongue. The tablet dissolves within 10 seconds. Do not swallow for at least 1 minute.
- Do not take Odactra with food or beverages, and avoid any food or beverages for at least 5 minutes after each dose.
- Your first dose is taken under the supervision of a health care provider due to the possibility of severe allergic reactions. Odactra is used in patients 18 to 65 years of age.
- Odactra (house dust mite allergen extract) tablet is normally taken once-a-day, year-round. Odactra does not work immediately, so may not see results right away. Follow your doctor's dosing instructions exactly.
What does Odactra treat?
Odactra (house dust mite allergen extract) is an immunotherapy that treats allergies to dust mites. House dust mite allergies are a reaction to very small bugs found in house dust. Often, dusts mites can be found in bedding, furniture and carpet.
Symptoms of a house dust mite allergy include a cough, runny nose, nasal itch and congestion, sneezing, and itchy, watery eyes.
How does Odactra work?
Odactra contains allergen extract from common household dust mites. Allergy immunotherapies help to build your resistance over the long term to the allergen that causes your symptoms.
Using Odactra may also reduce the need for other allergy medicines to reduce your symptoms. These may include over-the-counter (OTC) antihistamines and nasal corticosteroids.
What are the common side effects with Odactra?
In studies, the most common side effects (≥ 10%) with Odactra included: itching or tickle in the ear and mouth, swelling at the back of the mouth, swelling of the lips and tongue, throat swelling, throat irritation, nausea, tongue pain and tongue sore or ulcers, stomach pain, mouth sore or ulcers, food tasting different.
Odactra also carries a Boxed Warning about serious allergic reactions and you may not be able to use this medicine if you have asthma or other conditions. View this Boxed Warning here and discuss this information with your doctor before treatment.
This is not all the information you need to know about Odactra (house dust mite allergen extract) for safe and effective use and does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your treatment. Review the full product information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Odactra (house dust mite allergen extract). [Medication Guide]. Catalent Pharma Solutions. Revised 8/2019. Accessed March 18, 2021 at https://www.odactra.com/assets/pdf/odactra-medication-guide.pdf
- Odactra (House Dust Mite (Dermatophagoides farinae and Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus) Allergen Extract [product information]. Catalent Pharma Solutions. Revised 8/2019. Accessed March 18, 2021 at https://www.odactra.com/assets/pdf/odactra-full-pi.pdf