User Reviews for Vortioxetine

Also known as: Trintellix

Learn more about Vortioxetine.

Major Depressive Disorder 151 reviews 46 medications

6.6
Depression 363 reviews 80 medications

Summary of Vortioxetine reviews 514 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Vortioxetine

For Major Depressive Disorder: "MDD for over 25 years and little to no positive response to 15 or so SSRIs and SNRIs aside from a slight improvement with Escitalopram which gave me utterly vile nightmares and sexual issues so it had to go. Started on 5mg first month, 10mg second month and been on 20mg for the last 3 weeks. Genuine improvement in mood over the last 6 weeks or so without feeling cloudy or out of it. Zero adverse sexual side effects. Slight stomach problems this past week but it may be unrelated as also on diclofenac for a herniated disc so it may be that. Time will tell. For someone who has been largely considered treatment resistant, this drug has been in a different league for me and with the fewest side effects of anything taken to date."

Cheesemeister (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2017

Trintellix (vortioxetine) for Depression: "Been on trintellix for bout three months. Last month sobbing has stopped but I'm having vision disturbances. I started at 5 mg then went to ten. From ten to twenty and my head hurt so bad backed down to ten again. The vision issue is still there along with profuse sweating and breakthrough anxiety. Been through so many different antidepressants I'm afraid of what will happen if I hafta go through another drug change. It's been a nightmare."

#56 January 11, 2017

Trintellix (vortioxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I had been on Emsam from July to November 2016. My insurance went away so I could not afford the $1000 a month, $70 a month with insurance. Today is January 10, 2017. For two months I have not been on anything. I have not felt suicidal at all. I have no motivation and I get the anxiety but the suicidal tendency is GONE! Yay! Emsam is the bomb! I love it. Today I went to the DR. he gave me some trials for Trintellix. I have not tried them yet but I will follow up with a weekly update. My DR seems pretty excited to get me on these pills. Not sure why. I have not read very many good reviews of it today. We will see how it goes."

For Eva January 10, 2017

Trintellix (vortioxetine) for Depression: "Update: I have been on this for a little over a month, 10mg for the past 3 weeks, 5mg 2 weeks before that. I am still getting extremely nauseous when I take it, burping and stomach upset/pain as well. Taking it at night did help with these symptoms but then I noticed I couldn't sleep so I try to take it before lunch. I haven't noticed much of a difference in my symptoms. I still feel down and have a hard time getting excited about anything. I really just want to stay in bed. I've recently started noticing I'm hungry all the time."

unicornsoul January 9, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I really wanted this to work. I have MDD, OCD, and panic disorder. I took cellexa, Zoloft, then Paxil. Cellexa worked at first. Both the others did nothing to control my anxiety and contributed to weight gain. My doctor suggested this. I started at 10mg. I threw up multiple times a day for a week. Then I upped it to 15mg. I threw up even more. I was throwing up just brushing my teeth in the morning. I couldn't eat or drink anything because it would make me sick. I lost the ability to taste (everything had a metallic taste to it). Finally, I ended up in the ER. I ended up with my first kidney stone. Doctor felt it was caused by dehydration from constant vomiting and lack of eating and drinking."

Polly123 January 9, 2017

For Depression: "Been on this for about six months or so 10mg works great but I'm constantly plagued with nasuea everyday. Some days I dread taking it but understand its my mental well being. Some days I'll take a day off and unlike other meds like effexor there are no withdrawal symptoms which is great if you happen to go away for a weekend and forget your meds. All in all I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't have stomach issues cause the nausea can be crippling. Works faster then other meds as well"

jesse179 January 8, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been on Vortioxetine for three months and it has been the only antidepressant that has ever worked for me. I have tried most of the alternatives meds and have years of taking therapy none of which worked. Although there are some initial side effects, mainly nausea and constipation for me, is worth persevering, as these wear off. Although, I do feel slightly 'dumbed down' I don't see this as a particularly bad thing as I often used to over think everything and I now feel content for the first time in my life. I know 'one shoe doesn't fit all' but for my particular 'chemical imbalance' this drug has been life saving."

The invisible writer (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2017

Trintellix (vortioxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "My husband had been on every drug and drug combo available- nothing worked for his anger, depression and crippling anxiety. This has been a GOD-SEND! After 24 years of marriage, I finally feel like I found the loving, kind man I fell in love with. No side effects at all, much more stable moods, and soundly sleeping at night. He also takes Seroquel at bedtime."

Saved marriage January 7, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder: "This drug has changed my life. First anti-depressant I've ever taken and it was the best decision I've ever made. The day after taking for the first time, my anxiety was gone - I felt like I could breathe again - and I woke up with purpose and optimism. Nausea, intense thirst, dry nose and throat the first couple of weeks, along with night terrors. Taking doses with food and TONS of water helped my nausea bearable. Slowly worked my way up doses every 2 weeks: 5mg, 10mg, then 15mg. About three weeks after starting 15mg all of the side effects were gone. If you're experiencing these side effects, keep at it and give it a chance! I'm so glad I pushed through the nausea, etc. because this drug has helped me immensely!"

HappyGirl1234 January 6, 2017

For Depression: "Ok so I cant really rate it yet based on how well its working because its really only my 4th day, (technically 2nd, because I cut in half 5mg the past 2 days and have been taking 2.5 till I was confident enough to take the full 5) I was extremely scared of side effects especially the nausea and vomiting that I read so much about because I have a very sensitive stomach and most medicines make me sick, so far I have not had ANY nausea with this medicine - although I'm only on 5mg. I have taken it with a meal every time! I am optimistic that this will help my anxiety, I may increase to 10mg in a few weeks if I feel no difference with the 5. However do not let these reviews scare you! Every person is different!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2017

Trintellix (vortioxetine) for Depression: "I had such high hopes for this medication for my severe depression and anxiety. I was committed to try it for a full 4 weeks. I started on 10 mg and then went up to 15 mg. I never managed to get to the 20 mg due to overwhelming nausea, belching, excessive salivating, unbearable constipation and then the vomiting started. I didn't gain weight but that is because I couldn't eat. It did help with the depression but not the anxiety. Definitely not for me!"

PHNurse January 3, 2017

Trintellix (vortioxetine) for Depression: "It's known within the pharmaceutical industry that 5% of patients will suffer 90% of side effects from any given drug. That's me, and an MTBI bumped me up to the elite 2.5% who get side effects never heard of. But Trintellix was supposed to be good for depression from brain injury, so I gave it a try. No gastric symptoms, but on day 2, I woke up not knowing what day it was. 7 hours after second dose, heightened anxiety and a sense of "speeding", without the edge, took hold. Then, I found myself annoyed that Shaw's was out of everything I usually bought there - until the egg case in the wrong place alerted me I was in Stop & Shop. No memory of deciding to go there. Bu-bye Trintellix. Just glad I only paid $3.10 for it."

Forlorn Hope (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Have been on several antidepressants and this one seemed to be the first to work well. Only side effect was nausea but only lasted a week or two."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2016

Trintellix (vortioxetine) for Depression: "Awful, severe, intolerable constipation! Almost complete blockage on my same high fiber, vegetables, fruit, & low fat protein diet. Took for two weeks and it never got better. Going back to my Lexapro generic."

Mary F. December 31, 2016

For Depression: "I've had zero nausea, but zero sex drive and I have a hard time concentrating at work. I've been taking 20 mg for about 6 weeks. I take it at bedtime. I have been very sluggish and have gained about 10 pounds. I also have terrible gas so I have to take gas pills daily. It has helped with my depression, but my job is suffering because I cannot concentrate at all. I'm thinking of asking my doctor to change my med because I will get fired soon if I keep this up! I no longer want to kill myself, but soon I will be obese, unemployed and sleepy. Then I will be more depressed..."

SuzyQ72 December 29, 2016

Trintellix (vortioxetine) for Depression: "I have been on 10mg for 6 weeks. Very little nausea at first and some headaches but nothing ibuprofen did not take away. I did not notice much at first, then maybe 3-4 weeks I noticed a little relief from frustration and sad feelings. I can't find a job and have gained a good amount of weight over the past year so I am having self esteem issues anyway but over the past week I am a mess. I am sad and cry a lot. I cannot focus and feel cloudy in my thoughts. I am very irritable and short tempered. I will try to see about increasing the dose. It seems like a slow progression but I am hopeful a higher dose may help."

Momandwife December 23, 2016

For Depression: "I was started on Brintellix (now Trintellix) in the hospital for suicidal ideation. I have struggled with it si since the 80s. When my dose was increased I had these muscle spasms over my chest. I went to the ER they could not find anything cardio. When I reduced the dose it went away. My mood did improve and I have been back to my old self. No problem since Aug, now it's Dec and I had had 3 more spells. ER again found nothing. Dr thinks It's my anxiety. I feel unheard. I don't want to give up being stable. I hate having my illness. I have to be my own advocate.... (I too had rough gastro side effects but slowly they leveled out with over the counter meds.)"

Merthi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 22, 2016

Trintellix (vortioxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been taking this med for about a month. I am taking it with Wellbutrin 300 mg. I am taking 5 mg. It has helped tremendously. The first day I took it, I was nauseous & had a headache. I have been taking it @ night, about an hour before bedtime, and have not had either symptom again. My energy level has increased, I have been able to do things I need to do, more importantly I have been able to do some of the things I want to do. The feeling that life was too overwhelming is gone. I have my sense of humor back and I am not on the roller coaster of crying @ the drop of a hat or being so angry I wanted to smack the skin off someone's face. I am very pleased with this medicine & hope it continues to do as well as it has been doing for me"

Glennaraye (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2016

For Depression: "I took this drug for about a year and then had to quit when I lost my job and my new job didn't have very good health coverage. After being off the drug for about a year, my depression was worsening (would start sobbing over the smallest things) and I decided to restart the medication despite the cost. Having been off the medication for a year now, I don't really remember if I initially had any side effects - though it's worth noting that I started at 5mg and worked my way up to 20mg, whereas this time I'm just restarting the 20mg. I'm almost a week into it and I'm experiencing constipation and itchy skin. It's not pleasant but I'm sure it'll go away soon. This med works really fast, I already feel my depression lifting."

EBinChicago December 15, 2016

Trintellix (vortioxetine) for Depression: "I've tried three different SSRIs and one SNRI and have the same side effect with them all.....I can't achieve an orgasm. My psychiatrist put me on Trintellix because it's not suppose to cause this problem....and it doesn't. On the other hand, I can't tell much difference in my depression, and I can't sleep, I'm back to having mild panic attacks, and I feel like I've had a breathing treatment with all the "wonderful", not, side effects. This isn't the medicine for me. I've only been taking it a little over three weeks, but my psychiatrist is getting a phone call tomorrow."

Heightened anxiety, insomnia (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2016

For Depression: "I have tried many other antidepressants before stating Trintellix. I could tell immediately that it was an improvement. I started on 10 mgs 2 months ago and increased to 20 last month. The depression and suicidal thoughts have diminished and the anxiety is well under control. The only side effects are some severe retching from time to time and had to be put on a med for that. However lately, I am sleeping all the time and my energy is all but gone. I still take it because the anxiety and depression are at kept at bay. I still would recommend this for others."

Des Y. December 8, 2016

Trintellix (vortioxetine) for Depression: "I'm only on day 3 but thought I would share since I was looking for first couple of day reviews and couldn't find very many. I read enough to know to take AFTER eating and I have experienced very little to no nausea. (THC may have helped this) I did have some burping on the 3rd night. The main thing I notice are my thoughts after taking and sleep. The first 2 nights, I feel I got a little paranoid and some increased anxiety and noticed it was taking me longer to fall asleep. Took my 3rd dose last night, and I have yet to go to sleep. Been up for 18 hours. I even took this dose a lot earlier than the other 2 because I noticed it was taking me longer to fall asleep. I usually took it between 9 and 10 but last night I took it between 7 and 8."

unicornsoul (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I've only been taking Trintellix (10 mg) for 6 days, but wanted to share my experience. First, though it may be due to the placebo affect or a culmination of events, but I feel much happier. As in - I've been laughing - a lot! And feel much less anxious. But I doubt seriously the drug working yet. So, here are my side effects so far: Day 1 - Took pill on an empty stomach at 1:00 p.m. Extreme nausea that lasted for about an hour. Bad headache. Some mild gas. Had mildly weird dreams - color /vivid. Day 2 - Took pill on a full stomach at 9:00 a.m. Mild headache. Stomach was a bit upset off and on. Slept fine. Day 3 - Same as day 2 Day 4 - no side effects Day 5 - no side effects Day 6 - mild headache Looking fwd to the next few wks!"

nastywoman007 (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

For Depression: "I've had a generally positive experience with Trintellix. The only negative side effect that I've noticed is some nausea. It was enough to make me sick on a couple occasions, but I continued to psh through because of how badly the depression was making me feel. I've now been on the medication for over 4 weeks and I'm feeling more positive, less depressed, and even the nausea is easing! This medication seems to have less side effects than other medications that I've tried, such as Prozac and Cipralex (Lexapro). Tip: If you experience the nausea, try eating a little bit of carbs to help settle your stomach."

mike845378 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2016

For Depression: "Began at 10 mg for 2 months with no improvement. Upped to 20mg for 1 month. No improvement. Episodes of retching x2 with no vomiting; nausea daily; affect seem to be flat; ED worsened to point of complete inability to maintain an erection or achieve ejaculation. Will discuss with Psychiatrist changing to something else. Expensive even with insurance - $60.00 monthly."

BDEye (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2016