User Reviews for Vancomycin to treat Bacterial Infection

Also known as: Vancocin, Firvanq, Vancocin HCl, Vancocin HCl Pulvules

Vancomycin has an average rating of 7.6 out of 10 from a total of 8 ratings for the treatment of Bacterial Infection. 75% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Vancomycin Rating Summary

7.6/10 average rating

Compare all 1055 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Vancomycin

Anonymous October 11, 2011

“I have been battling a C diff infection for a couple months now. I tried a 10 day (500mg x3) course of Flagyl which didn't seem to help much. The Flagyl seemed to increase my nausea while only slightly reducing the waves of stomach pain and didn't seem to improve the diarrhea much at all. A couple days after ending the Flagyl, I was experiencing the worst symptoms of C diff. I immediately went on Vancomycin. I just finished a 14 day course (500mgx4) of Vancomycin yesterday, which seems to have cleared up the symptoms. Vancomycin is extremely expensive (my portion was nearly $2k after insurance picked up the bulk of the cost), but after Flagyl failed, I was glad the Vancomycin seems to have worked with no noticeable side effects.”

MarlaMoo April 2, 2015

“As a last resort I was placed on Vancomycin every 12 hrs for 7 wks to treat a post surgical MRSA staph infection. Thankfully with the help of a home health agency, I was able to administer it at home. Initially I didn't notice many side effects except feeling wore out. After 1 or 2 wks tho my chest felt very tight & taking breaths was painful. My Nurse recommended Zantac for heartburn. Honestly tho, a muscle relaxer worked better & took away those symptoms. Then a few wks into treatment I started getting bad dizzy spells. For that my nurse recommended regular V8 juice to increase my sodium. That worked great! Overall the side effects of the actual medicine wasn't too bad compared to the benefits. By wk 6/7 the staph wounds mostly cleared up.”

cellulitus patient September 20, 2008

“My doctors have used vancomycin successfully in two episodes of cellulitus. I was hospitalized both times one year apart and the first time many drugs were not helping the staph origin infection. I tested negative for MRSA, but the infection was ravenous. I did develop intense flushing when infusing over the 2 hour period. The last episode lasted 6 days the first episode lasted 11 days. I highly recommend involvement of a wound doctor and compression socks to heal.”

Sammy October 17, 2019

“I've just started taking this yesterday for C Diff . I hope it works , I am taking the liquid . I was getting it intravenous in the hospital for a couple of days, and they sent me home with the liquid . All I know right now is that it taste like burnt tires . (NASTY)”

Anonymous February 28, 2011

“I got this medication through my IV while in the hospital for an infection in my lymphnodes in my neck. My white count was down and I felt a lot better after about 3 days! The only side effects I got was nausea and HORRIBLE heartburn (pepto bismol cured this), but it was worth it!”

Jen · Taken for less than 1 month June 29, 2020

“Have been on Vancomycin (IV usage) for a few days now. Started treatment in hospital for a stubborn kidney infection after several other antibiotics didn’t work. Had fevers and chills for ten days prior to starting vancomycin. After just two days on it, the fever went away. I am on day four of treatment at home, but have diarrhea from it. Nurse told me to eat yogurt and so I’ve started. Will see how it goes. But definitely feeling better from the infection!”

Sunflower · Taken for less than 1 month April 17, 2021

“I received IV vancomycin during 2 separate inpatient hospital stays, first for a MRSA abscess, and once for severe post op infection. The second time I had it, I developed uncontrollable diarrhea, but I was also on Zosyn and Invanz. I consider it a necessary drug because it saved my life. Benefits outweigh the risks.”