User Reviews for Triazolam to treat Insomnia

Also known as: Halcion

Triazolam Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 97 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Triazolam

Halcion (triazolam): "Struggled with insomnia off and on for 25 years Personally I have found nothing that works better than triazolam I have tried everything for sleep Otc and prescriptions (and then some). For me benzodiazepines are definitely most effective, and triazolam is in my top 3, and probably my favorite. Works best of you don't take it every nite. If you have to take something every nite, switch to a non benzodiazepine, and cycle the benzos no more than every other night. Remeron is a decent drug for insomnia, but has a few side effects. Same with seroquel, trazodone, and most tricyclic antidepressants. Melatonin receptor agonists like ramelteon and tasimelteon have not shown much promise. Z drugs like ambien lunesta and sonata are effective for some people, but bind to same receptors as benzos, with lesser efficacy and pretty much the same side effects. Stick with benzos, just don't take them everyday."

Sqrl (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 1, 2019

"When I would travel more than 10 time zones from home for work I would take it to recover the jet lag. I would take the usual dose to go to sleep quickly. I would only use them for up to two days after trips to return home or when I went back to my country to work. I never noticed any I’ll effects from this product."

Cabin ken December 12, 2018

"Insomnia kept me awake for 36-48 hours at a time. I wouldn't average 2 hrs sleep a day for weeks. Triazolam is a sanity saver for me and I bless my doctor for prescribing it."

Dee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 24, 2018

Halcion (triazolam): "My dose of Halcion was not adequate for 6 to 8 hrs sleep.I would wake after 4hrs of sleep. The doctor added 10mg of olanzapine to be taken at 6pm daily.Now sleeping 8 plus hrs every day."

Karl (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2018

"Been dealing with severe insomnia (onset and waking up after 3 hrs) for 16 months, every day. Never had this problem or any other mental health issue in life. I'll be 33 soon. I have tried over 15 meds and nothing has gotten me more than 5 hours of straight sleep. Trazadone, remeron, Ambien, lunesta, sonata, restoril, halcion, doxepin, pamelor, sleep/behavior therapy(CBT) and others. This halcion was prescribed as a last hope & Did basically nothing. Took over an hour to "kick in" I fell asleep eventually but woke up after 3 hrs wide awake as usual. Gonna go the all natural route since I have to"

Mo March 13, 2018

"Like many others I suffer from constant insomnia. When the first warning came out about triazolam years ago my doctor switched me to Ambien...it gave me terrible nightmares. I had already tried a number of other medications before this. So she put me back on triazolam and it is the best. I go to sleep gradually and sleep about 6-7 hours, wake up refreshed with no drug hangover and I have had no side effects. This is with using it for about 30 years. I have the 0.25 dose which I almost always snap in half and it still works great (for me anyway). This year my insurance company has taken it off its formulary and it will be $300 instead of the $5 I used to pay. Every year the insurance companies take more and more tried and tested drugs off their lists and leave us without those we need that we know work for us. Triazelom does work."

Granny to Four January 30, 2018

Halcion (triazolam): "Hi everyone I've been on and off Triazolam for 30 years. Take 0.25mg tablets, one and a half each night I do the weird food thing that I don't remember in the morning. My biggest problem is not remembering things that happened the day before, like big chunks my kids are so annoyed with it that they won't remind me of stuff like I ask a question and they say we talked about all that last night if you don't remember to bad not going over it again. Anyone else had this happen? By the way I live in New Zealand and doctor costs $40 and prescription costs $5.00"

Jbkind (taken for 10 years or more) January 29, 2018

"Exceptional! For me, It takes between 1 and 2 hours to fall asleep. Therefore, take well before getting into bed. Once asleep I wake up in approximately 6 hours completely refreshed. I concur with the others: Do not let your prescriber talk you out of using this extremely effective medication. PS I only use this medication on an as need basis (2-3 times per month and do not have any underlying conditions)."

Bob Greenbaum Hollis Hills NY (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 19, 2017

"Amazing. I haven’t been to the dentist in 22 years and was super anxious for a deep cleaning. Was prescribed triazolam and it was a miracle for me. Made me feel sleepy and I didn’t have one care in the world what they did to my teeth. Afterwards came home and slept like a baby for an hour or so and woke up feeling totally normal. I was nervous to take the triazolam because I don’t like drugs but it truly was very gentle and effective. No weird side effects at all. 10 stars!"

LaraPK October 5, 2017

Halcion (triazolam): "Very expensive, 1 month supply is 200 dollars"

Lee groce (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2017

"I prefer Triazolam to any other pill for sleeping. I take only one half pill and only on occasion. I have never had ANY PROBLEM with this drug. My only problem is that no doctor will prescribe it for me!"

I have never had any problem (taken for 10 years or more) July 20, 2017

"Best sleep medication on the market! Don't understand why all the doctors are being told to get people off this medication. It is far better than anti depressant. The doctors are only pushing anti depressants because they are getting paybacks for prescribing zombie medication."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) June 16, 2017

"First time on this medication I don't see why it works for me everyone body is different I took it an hour before my dental appointment it relaxes your body , but I still felt everything dentist movement and plus there weren't any sleep for me I was wide awake it's ok but I prefer IV sedation thank you"

Char char March 1, 2017

Halcion (triazolam): "I had insomnia for over 72 hours. Halcion fixed it immediately. The bad news is they only gave a weeks worth and then the Dr. went on vacation and his stand-in refused to refill. I had 2 days of insomnia after that and then it passed."

manners (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017

Halcion (triazolam): "I started taking this for insomnia caused by PTSD. It has been incredibly helpful. It is literally the ONLY thing that can get me to sleep when I'm having problems. My doc has kept me on it despite the improvement in night time PTSD episodes because I still have unrelated insomnia, and still have occasional bouts that are related to PTSD. It's been a godsend."

Findagoodwaytoletpeopleusename (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 27, 2016

Halcion (triazolam): "Works well for sleep. However, I'm prescribed it for Nocturnal panic attacks (panic that wakes me up) & it definitely does the trick. I gave it 9/10 bc I will actually end up having an attack shortly after it kicks in. Usually lasts 5-10 mins before I fall asleep."

BabyGurl3171 December 26, 2016

"I have taken Triazolam 2 to 5 nights/week since early 80's. Works great every time!! I initially started Triazolam 0.5 mg because Quaalude 350 mg were being phased out. I bounced between Placidyl 750 mg, Seconal 100 mg, Chloral Hydrate 1000 mg and Triazolam 0.5 mg. Triazolam has stood the test of time while all the others have fallen out of favor."

HCKrod3 December 9, 2016

"only thing that ever helped me"

sleepingnow (taken for 10 years or more) November 25, 2016

Halcion (triazolam): "Keeps on working great after using for 2 years."

Frank lifty (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2016

Halcion (triazolam): "I was 28 when my doctor wrote my first script. I had just had to put my mother in a nursing home and that did not go well for her or for me. And I had just take a job 350 miles from home. I started with a white cap, a 1.0 mg. It worked great for me, but some people had problems with that dose of 1 mg and the FDA said doctors could not write anything above .50, or two white caps, .25. When I had to reduce my dose, it took me 6 months to get my body adjusted. So, 31 years later, I am 59 now and have to have the .50 to sleep. All my insurance companies thru the years would pay for the drug as a bandage for my problem, but would not pay a penny for drug treatment to get off the halcion. Yes,I know I am hooked on halcion for life."

D-Ray (taken for 10 years or more) July 29, 2016

"This is the only thing that has ever worked for me. I even woke up under anesthesia."

Bipolarxnoxdreams (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 23, 2016

"I have been taking halcion for about 30 yrs. I have been taking two pills every night. This is the only pill that has ever worked for me. The only thing that I have noticed is short term memory loss. If I don't take it I won't fall asleep. Halcion, is the best medication I have ever taken for my insomnia."

Smickaj (taken for 10 years or more) March 17, 2016

Halcion (triazolam): "I was on halcion for almost 5 years until I built a tolerance and it stopped working. Since then I have tried numerous medications of various types and none have worked as well as halcion. Most have not even been close or didn't work at all. With halcion, I fell asleep quickly and naturally, and stayed asleep at least 6 hours. It was a restful sleep with no side effects like dreams or strange behavior. I had no problems waking up or functioning the following day. It's only now that I can't find a substitute that I really appreciate the benefits of halcion."

lisaakjc (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 25, 2016

Halcion (triazolam): "The best sleep and no side effects"

keithieg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2015

"I probably hold the record for the longest regular use of this drug! Started taking Halcion .5 mg in 1982 (the year it came on the market, I think) and have taken it nearly every night for the past 33 years. In all that time, I have missed maybe 20-30 nights total. It is effective, staying in the bloodstream just six hours so you don't wake up groggy. It works fast and helps me GET to sleep, which is my main problem. I occasionally try going without it, but almost always get up around 1 a.m. if I haven't fallen asleep and take it. After a number of years (maybe 8-10) the .5 mg strength was no longer available so I have taken .25 since then. Frustrated that insurance will not cover it as it's been a great drug for me."

PriDee55 (taken for 10 years or more) August 20, 2015