User Reviews for Triamcinolone to treat Osteoarthritis

Also known as: Kenalog-40, Zilretta, Kenalog-10, Aristospan Intra-Articular Aristospan Clinacort Aristospan Intralesional

Triamcinolone has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 55 ratings for the treatment of Osteoarthritis. 49% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 42% reported a negative effect.

Triamcinolone Rating Summary

6.1/10 average rating

Compare all 180 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Triamcinolone

Swampbabe November 10, 2020

Zilretta (triamcinolone): “I am in the last stages of osteoarthritis in both knees. I pretty young to have knees as bad as I do (so my doctor says) I’m 52 and have been fighting osteoarthritis for 12 years now. I had Zilretta injections in Jan 2020 and it was amazing for the pain. I was pain free for 3 months. My range of motion stayed the same but I had no pain! The only negative thing is when the injections wore off I had no warning of the pain coming back, it came back with a vengeance. I scheduled knee surgery for August and cancelled because of the corona virus. So today I had zilretta injections again to buy time until I feel safe to have surgery! These injections have been the only thing that works for me and I’m so grateful to be pain free even if it is only for 3 months!”

AT · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 14, 2021

Zilretta (triamcinolone): “For years my pain management doctor tried different medicines, but all worked about 1 to 2 weeks. When a new pain management doctor entered the practice, she suggested that we try Zilretta. Pain was almost immediately gone and it lasts for 2 months. Then I can manage the pain with Aleve for the next month. Zilretta has changed my life. I have been having the injections in my right knee for almost 2 years now. Have noticed no side effects.”

DJA · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 3, 2019

Zilretta (triamcinolone): “I have tried all available types of injections for my right knee and I have had less and less effectiveness with each injection. Zilretta has been a miracle drug as it has given me pain and swelling relief for two months. I am very active. I jog about 15-20 miles a week and walk about another 5 miles per week. Before Zilretta I did it with pain and a limp - not now!”

Katy · Taken for less than 1 month October 27, 2020

Kenalog-40 (triamcinolone): “This is the first and last time using this injection, I'm 8 weeks in and still having panic attacks, insomnia, increased hunger, anxiety, How long does this last Please avoid at all costs you will regret it”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2019

Zilretta (triamcinolone): “Since getting injection of zilretta after years of cortisone injections for bone on bone in my knees, my worse knee has gotten unbearable. I now not only have knee pain but it feels like a rubber band breaking behind my kneecap and excruciating nerve pain down my whole left leg, even while sleeping. I don't recommend getting this shot. Because of it, I now will have to have my knee replaced sooner rather than later.”

Kat · Taken for less than 1 month October 6, 2018

Zilretta (triamcinolone): “One day I was hobbling at work , walking with a cane. I was done! Some days I couldn’t get up out of a chair. My Dr told me about Zilretta injections for both my knees . I was shock my insurance covered it! Only $50 for both knees. Had both knees drained and injections with Zilretta. WOW! After 2 days of ice I stood up and walked normal for the first time in 12 years I had no knee pain at all. I had little to no swelling from the knees down. I have told everyone I know about Zilretta! So happy to be pain free! Thank you!”

Anonymous March 26, 2019

Zilretta (triamcinolone): “I have bone on bone in both needs and have been in horrible pain for about a year. I have have cortizone injections in the past, with last one only getting relief for a week. I was completely at my wits end . I am only 58 years old and am trying to hold off on knee replacement surgery for as long as possible. My prayers have been answered with Zilretta, I had an injection in both knees 8 days ago and I feel like a new person. I pray the relief continues. I would recommend this to everyone suffering with knee pain.”

nuke · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2019

Zilretta (triamcinolone): “I've had medial left knee pain for awhile and tried different avenues of pain management, including hyaluronic acid injections. Zilretta is awesome! It took a good week for it to kick in, but I am now at one month and the pain has subsided immensely. No side effects at all. I'm very active and play a lot of pickleball, so I'm a true test to the effectiveness of this drug.”

SusieQ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 13, 2018

Zilretta (triamcinolone): “I have had Zilretta injections in both of my knees. It is absolutely FANTASTIC ! I was pain free the 1st day after my injection. I did not have any side effects. I can do things I haven't been able to do for years. Going up and down stairs is so much easier now. I can stand in one place for and extended period of time. I can kneel on the floor and play with my Grand kids. I feel like a new person being pain free. I would recommend anyone with Osteoarthritis to try Zilretta.”

Marty · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2019

Zilretta (triamcinolone): “I've had every knee shot for knee osteoarthritis with no results. I've had moderate to severe knee pain for five years. I had my left knee injected two weeks ago and got immediate results. Pain free! Yesterday I had my right knee injected with the same results. Zilretta is amazing! Curious to see how long the shots will last.”

NeNe · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 3, 2019

Zilretta (triamcinolone): “MAN!!! Where do I start? Both knees are shot but I’m unable to do surgery at this time because of mother-in-law broken hip and recent major surgery on son so we’re taking care of them. ZILRETTA is fantastic for my osteoarthritis it works and it lasts for about 3 months I have been taking the injections about 9 months. Before that Dr was doing steroid injections that last almost 2-3 weeks. Greatest product.”

Scared · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 9, 2018

Kenalog-40 (triamcinolone): “Do not get this injection!!!! I got mine about 6 1/2 weeks ago. The first week was ok no side effects but no pain relief either. Side effects for me started at week 2 and still going. Burning mouth/throat. Worse anxiety then I already had. Extreme nausea, no appetite, I’ve lost 8 lbs and I can not afford to lose weight. I’m terrified how long this will go on.”

Tag · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2019

Zilretta (triamcinolone): “I also have bone on bone in my knee. I was using cortisone injections and then doctor told me about Zilretta. I got the injection in May and by August it was wearing off. I am in more pain now than ever before. It felt great at first but WOW. I do not recommend this.”

Haven · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 26, 2019

Zilretta (triamcinolone): “The first set of injections kept me in pain and off of my feet for over a week. I've had to get the injections every 3 months instead of every 6 like my last medication. Every time it is the same thing, both knees end up swollen and painful for a week or longer. The effects of Zilretta are semi-beneficial for about 8 weeks. I've had a lot more pain, stiffness and swelling in my knees since taking Zilretta. There are days that I can't fully straighten or bend my legs. The inflammation is bad and my symptoms are becoming worse then they were before I started Zilretta. This is a serious concern. I'm glad that it is helping some people, but for me the short 8 weeks of slight relief is not worth the pain and worsening of symptoms that I have for the rest of the time between injections.”

Jillyn31 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 12, 2018

Zilretta (triamcinolone): “I got an injection in my right knee a month ago today (Dr had sample). I was a little worried about it containing steroids, because I've previously had them worsen my mental health symptoms, but I didn't have too many problems with that this time. Of course, after the injection, my knee was sore & swollen, making it difficult to walk right for a few days. I noticed nasal congestion, which is one of the side effects. Since it's extended release, I expected the osteoarthritis pain & swelling in my knee to go down, at least a little bit over time. To date, it hasn't & has actually gotten worse. I've also noticed increased knee stiffness & leg spasms (feels like they're behind the knee cap), that I didn't have before. I was looking forward to this med providing much needed relief, not causing issues. At this point, I'm not planning to get my left knee done. Just not the results I expected. Although I don't believe it's at all related, I will be fair & mention I also have fibromyalgia.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 6, 2019

Zilretta (triamcinolone): “Some mild pain and inflammation relief but that lasted just a little while. It's supposed to last a long time but my knee is pretty much worse than before I started the Zirletta injection. I can't say if that's the natural progression or the cortisone sped it up. But I can say that the regular cortisone shot I got before Zirletta was way more effective. I would not recommend Zirletta.”

M monroe · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 10, 2020

Zilretta (triamcinolone): “I have had two shots of zilretta in my right knee.The shot lasts exactly 90 days. About 48 hours after receiving this shot all pain is gone and I feel like I have a brand new knee. But I have to fight with my Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield to pay for this shot. It is a great shot if you can schedule the shot exactly every 90 days. The company that manufactures this drug offers no discounts and no coupons or financial help. Even with insurance this shot costs 240 dollars.”

anonymous1234 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 2, 2019

Zilretta (triamcinolone): “I had high hopes for this injection after failed cortisone, and other injections. I iced my knee several times a day. I have a bit of relief in my knee but by the end of the day I'm "toast". It has been one week since my injection. I'm glad others had success, however, it is not working for me.”

TOPCAT LTKR · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 6, 2021

Zilretta (triamcinolone): “I had Zilretta injections several times in my left knee which was bone to bone from degenerative arthritis at age 73 and I am a big man of 200 pounds. First injection gave partial relief for about 9-10 weeks maximum and each consecutive dose less effective down to about 4 weeks of relief with last dose. A big problem is they would only give another injection after 90 days so waiting for the next dose meant a lot of pain between doses. I quickly realized it is pain management only and the degenerative condition gets worse as you do more activity on the knee with reduced pain. So surgery is inevitable. You might as well go ahead with TKR. Also, it is a steriod. Several of my injections were painful at injection time and fact was for me, the surgeon delayed my surgery by 120 days saying Zilretta, as a steriod, gave increased risk of infection if given close to surgery date. I would not do it again. I would opt for TKR as soon as pain of bone to bone appears. They do not tell all up front.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 24, 2016

Kenalog-40 (triamcinolone): “ i have fibro, chronic pain around neck ,relieved pain very fast.. side effects still here- into 2nd week. rapid heart rate, feels like can't catch my breath, sweats, coughing, bouncing off the walls..”

HelenBee · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2017

Kenalog-40 (triamcinolone): “Had an injection into my knee due to osteoarthritis. I am scheduled for knee replacement but there is 1 year wait for surgery. Before injection I could not sleep due to throbbing pain and after injection this is gone. My overall pain is significantly reduced. I had no adverse reaction to the drug.”

Lovey · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2019

Kenalog-40 (triamcinolone): “I am 74 years young, active person. Had pain in my jaw for about three weeks, could hardly talk or eat. Thinking it was something awful, I went to the E.R. and the MD there ordered a CAT Scan of the mandible, etc. Finally, the report came in as Osteo-Arthritis of the jaw area and inflammation, etc. Well, I was given 2 injections: one of Toradol for pain and Kenalog for the inflammation. Amazingly, after about one hour, I felt much better. Hardly any pain. The doctor told me to see my own MD for follow up and to take Aleve for pain until then. I will be making an appt. ASAP since I was good for three whole weeks but now the pain is starting again. I don't want to take Aleve too much as it irritates the stomach and could be harmful if taken consistently. No side effects from either drug.”

DJA · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 14, 2020

Zilretta (triamcinolone): “Second injection relieved knee pain but not as good as first. The good results were less pain, more flexibility, and less swelling. The noticed side effects after the second shot were like an allergic reaction with moderate congestion, slight cough. My reaction immediately after receiving the injection was more noticeable than the first with flu like feelings for a few days. All in all the pain relief has been good but I am not sure about a third injection. It may be time to fix the problem rather than treat the symptoms.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 10, 2021

Kenalog-40 (triamcinolone): “Works great for my arthritis pain BUT the side effects are not worth it. I've been getting injections for years for arthritis in various body parts. EVERY time I get the injection I don't have a period for 3 months and then BAM, I get hit with a period that is extremely heavy and lasts for 3 weeks. Also, I was not informed that this injection could make the skin at the injection site very thin after getting multiple shots. I covered a scratch in one such spot with a bandaid, when I removed it all of the skin under the bandaid came off with it. Huge scar, very painful, skin is still somewhat thin in that spot even years after stopping the injection.”

Styxgirl83 September 2, 2015

Kenalog-40 (triamcinolone): “No one warned me that there were ANY side effects to worry about. I was given 2 injections into my left hip of Kenalog 40. Later the first evening, my face was hot and turned scarlet red. The red swelling went into my right eye and felt like sand. Then I started getting dizzy. My blood pressure was off the charts and my blood sugar Doubled! I had to lay down and all I did was sweat. I thought I was having a heart attack!! The next day, the facial rash was better, but the dizziness turned into violent shaking! When sitting very still, it felt like my whole body was on top of a paint shaker. I got horrible diarrhea that lasted for days. My OLP flared into a bloody mess. It took 12 to 15 weeks to even feel kind of normal again”

Learn more about Osteoarthritis