User Reviews for Tiotropium to treat COPD, Maintenance

Also known as: Spiriva, Spiriva Respimat

Tiotropium has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 103 ratings for the treatment of COPD, Maintenance. 47% of those users who reviewed Tiotropium reported a positive effect, while 30% reported a negative effect.

Tiotropium Rating Summary

6.0/10 average rating

Compare all 60 medications used in the treatment of COPD, Maintenance.

Reviews for Tiotropium

Kiteflyer.uk · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2021

Spiriva Respimat (tiotropium): “I have only been using this inhaler for over a week. I can't believe the difference. I can walk up a slope and not be panting for breath. It is so easy to take as the mist comes out slowly its easier to breathe it in. It is better than other inhalers to take. I was shown how to take it by my respiratory nurse.”

Brose · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2021

Spiriva (tiotropium): “For years, I wake up, immediately need 2 puffs of albuterol to clear my chest and relieve the tightness. Typically takes an hour before I can breathe freely. Spiriva Respimat was prescribed, and the 1st dose taken yesterday. I woke up this morning with greatly reduced tightness, able to breathe well. I am a true believer in this med!”

Anonymous March 25, 2021

Spiriva Respimat (tiotropium): “Since my insurance would not cover my Anoro, my doctor put me on this Respimat covered by my insurance. This was the worse contraption I had ever seen in an inhaler -- imossible to use. My son had to put it together as I couldn't figure it out, and it took him a couple of minutes to do it! I have not been able to use it because I am wasting the medication! I am 73 and still have my wits about me but not able to use this inhaler! I feel very sorry for those seniors who have mental problems trying to use this inhaler! I don't know who invented something like this, but they need t go back to the drawing board! I am now without an inhaler!”

cat5400 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 19, 2013

Spiriva (tiotropium): “I was prescribed Spiriva about a year ago. At first it was easier breathing with it. I developed, over time, issues. Ocular Migraines, severe dry mouth, muscle pain, coughing that I didn't put together with the Spiriva. A few weeks ago I began having badly blurred vision and did notice that it was happening about an hour after using Spiriva. I looked up the side effects online and found that this was a bad side effect of the drug. I stopped taking it and called my doctor. He simply told me to stop using it, but he did not tell me that some people get severe withdrawal symptoms. After three days I had severe panic/anxiety attacks, lighheadedness and felt like I was losing my mind. I was taking Xanax twice a day. All is gone now.”

sceptic of everything · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2014

Spiriva (tiotropium): “My COPD was not getting any easier to live with. I stopped taking one medicine because it seemed to just make things worse. The Dr was not very helpful. But she did say well you can try Spiriva. I waited almost a week to try it. But when I had some time off from work, I decided it was time to give it a shot. I felt better quickly, but only for a few hours. I continued using it, and I must say that after 3 weeks, I am feeling much better. I got up this morning and did not even reach for the Albuterol. I am hopeful now and I do recommend this medication. Side effects have been minor. Dry mouth is the only thing I can link to the medicine. I have started taking Potassium supplements again to overcome the leg cramps which may be a side effect.”

Steve2 January 4, 2014

Spiriva (tiotropium): “I started using Spiriva a month ago. The breathing was easier but after one month of taking it every morning I started having chest pains starting about 10 minutes after the treatment and lasting for an hour or so. Then I began having crushing tightness in my chest. I have completely quit the Spiriva.”

Gumby cat March 31, 2013

Spiriva (tiotropium): “I've been on Spiriva for 6 months now with only dry mouth as an issue, so I keep hard candy around to suck on, I was at the point where I could not walk up a few steps without losing my breath, but now I can breath again!”

vickyandjake · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 2, 2020

Spiriva (tiotropium): “I took Spiriva for one month. I stopped taking it when I realized I was severely agitated at everything, my heart would not stop racing, I had insomnia and I was developing urinary retention. I have been off this drug now for 2 and 1/2 Weeks. I was hospitalized for 3 days for the racing heart and chest pain. I'm still having problems with urinary retention. I am truly scared that this drug has done permanent damage to my heart that hasn't been found yet. I was referred yesterday to a cardiologist, but I will have to wait almost 4 weeks for the appointment. I have only slept two nights in the last 3 weeks. I have never had such a horrible reaction to any medication ever. I am wondering if anyone else has had these type of symptoms? I spoke to a pharmacist at the FDA who told me it takes an entire month for this medicine to clear your system.”

CarolinaRN · Taken for less than 1 month January 21, 2013

Spiriva (tiotropium): “I'm 48 and have the capacity of an 81 year old woman due to years of smoking. I have smoked very few cigarettes since last week when I found out how bad my lungs are and thanks to hardly smoking and the Spiriva I am doing MUCH better! Only side effect is a REALLY itchy nose/dry sinuses/stuffy (really stuffy) nose...but it's much better to be able to take a deep breath and function again! Side effects are nothing compared to gasping for air! Love Spiriva!”

Anonymous July 30, 2011

Spiriva (tiotropium): “I started taking Spiriva almost 3 weeks ago but have been advised to stop taking it as of today. I've had awful side effects that have built up.. dry mouth, sinus problems, blood in my mucus when I blow my nose, blurred vision, dizziness, palpitations. I do know of people it has helped but does anybody else have same problems as me?”

Anonymous October 12, 2011

Spiriva (tiotropium): “I have only been using Spiriva for two months and find it more convenient than other medicines but wonder why every time I purchase new prescription it includes a new hand held device, adding to the expense.”

Anonymous December 8, 2011

Spiriva (tiotropium): “My husband started using Spiriva last Wednesday. He was breathing easier but by Sunday, then he began having crushing tightness in his chest, difficulty breathing, pulse rates of 111, high blood pressure and chest pain. We took him to the ER because we thought he was having a heart attack. It turned out to be a severe allergic reaction to Spiriva. He won't be using it anymore. He also had dry mouth and difficulty urinating which are also side effects.”

Jenny IR March 5, 2013

Spiriva (tiotropium): “Spiriva works well for me. I have early stage Emphysema. No more breathlessness. I take it first thing in the morning. Rarely use my Ventolin inhaler now and other than an itchy nose, no side effects. I am a pensioner and the government pays almost all of the cost.”

tnlobo420 February 5, 2012

Spiriva (tiotropium): “Spiriva has been a miracle for me. Yes there is some hoarseness, sinus issues and difficulty urinating, but for me the benefits far outweigh the side-effects. The inhalers did nothing for my COPD - Spiriva made a HUGE difference in my ability to take in air. My illness is more emphysema type of COPD. I love it - 2 days without it and I can tell a huge difference. With Spiriva I can breathe again.”

siggyman · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 9, 2012

Spiriva (tiotropium): “I have been prescibed Spiriva for almost 7 years and have found a marked improvemment in my breathing and ability to carry on a normal active day. I have not experienced any adverse side effects the only effects have been totally positive. I don't think I can give it up now. As far as cost goes, my HMO covers it. I think its a great medicine. Thank you the inventor.”

64 yr old female · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 26, 2015

Spiriva (tiotropium): “Was prescribed Spiriva when ill with bronchitis (never prescribed a maintenance inhaler although have emphysema for 2 years-only used rescue inhaler). After 45 days of use experienced moderate to extreme coughing that did not produce mucus, dry mouth, cloudy urine, wheezing as though lungs were filled with cotton, heartburn, flushing, chills, shortness of breath. Still had to use rescue inhaler 3-4 times per day. Stopped use, all symptoms ceased. Will ask pulmonologist for another brand. Everyone's tolerance is different.”

Desperate Dan July 17, 2019

Spiriva (tiotropium): “Having read the comments on this forum I can't believe how many similarities there are with the symptoms I am experiencing. Hoarseness and phlegm are the most annoying closely followed by crackling in my ears, nose congestion and cramps. I have very recently taken myself off Spiriva to see whether my condition changes. I can't say Spiriva has been very beneficial on top of my mainstay medication Seretide and Uniphyllin. It seemed to help initially but I now think that was more to do with psychological factors. I recently went to see a throat specialist about the hoarseness/cough/phlegm issues only to be advised that my medication was not a cause but that I was experiencing reflux, something I have never experienced before I started taking the mediation. There was no acknowledgement from the medic that Spirva has all of these side effect as well as the sinusitis and cramp.”

River Jane · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 29, 2017

Spiriva (tiotropium): “I've recently stopped using Spiriva because I was worried about the side effects. The final deciding factor was my optometrist telling me that I had high eye pressure (possibly a precursor to glaucoma). I have also had red eyes ever since being on it. Other symptoms since being on it are trouble urinating with force (not able to pee fast when in a hurry), chest pains daily, muscle pains in front lower legs, constipation and losing my voice or hoarseness. I value my sight above all else so I will make do with salbutamol instead. Since quitting it two weeks ago my eye pressure is now normal again, my eyes are not red, the chest pains are gone, the hoarseness gone, and am gradually getting my bladder muscle control back.”

WT February 17, 2020

Spiriva (tiotropium): “I was taking Spiriva over a month it gave me hoarseness, swollen gums, sores in mouth the worse cough ever that's why I'm hoarse. I cough like I have TB and so much phlegm it feels like I'm drowning. I thought I had double pneumonia til I've read up on spiriva side effects. Mouth has sores hurts to eat and swallow. I'm taking rescue inhaler constantly cause I'm choking on thick phlegm. I stopped taking 4 days ago and I'm the same I may go to hospital in the morning. I'm miserable and so sick. Never again will I Take that stuff. My head hurts too and I get dizzy and feel like Im ALWAYS low on water.”

Mel · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 21, 2021

Spiriva (tiotropium): “I was fine on this drug for a while, after six months began to notice dry flakey skin, and eye hemorrhages, with migraine type headaches with flashing halos in colours. Then my blood pressure got dangerously high. I checked the side effects of this drug, high BP is rare, but it is one of them, as is eye problems, and headaches. Very bad for people with heart conditions, 52% mortality. Having to get used to living with out it. Bp is normal again, and I don't have red eye all the time. As is is skin getting back to normal, it was like cardboard dry, no matter what I did. Plus one big red hive on my cheek .”

Quit Smoking Joe · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 22, 2015

Spiriva (tiotropium): “Almost drowned sitting up. Diagnosed with COPD. Leg cramps and back pain. Taking Spiriva and Symbicort Will try potassium pills to see if tired legs go away. Been taking Spiriva since last October 28. Im breathing ok. Not normal but ok. Haven't used rescue inhaler yet. I give myself oxygen therapy at night and a few blasts in the am. Breathing in thru nose and out with pursed lips to help . If you care about someone who smokes tell them how bad it is. It really sucks. It beats you up.”

Anonymous October 21, 2012

Spiriva (tiotropium): “Hello everyone; Let me say that upon using Spiriva the first time I noticed that I no longer have severe breathlessness (which developed from Pneumonia July 2012 fro surgery complications). Let me also say IMPORTANTLY if anyone has bronchitis in the lungs to please do whatever necessary to clear it up, if anyone smokes QUIT! Don't wait like I did to have a dangerous bronchial attack, in my case I was at the E.R to get a jet-nab treatment when it hit, was told had I been away from the hospital I wouldn't have survived, since that night 10/19/2011 I haven't touched one cigarette, not even one drag. I also concur that I'm not having to use my albuterol like I was.”

dianew0228 March 28, 2008

Spiriva (tiotropium): “I have been using spiriva for about 2 months. I find my breathing has greatly improved. I'm not using my albuterol several times a day anymore, maybe a couple of times a week. The only thing I have noticed is that I am getting severe muscle cramps in the front of my lower legs. This happens mostly at night when I go to bed. Has anyone else noticed this problem?”

PMichaelA · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 28, 2019

Spiriva (tiotropium): “Spiriva didn't help. Way too expensive. No such thing as 'COPD maintenance. Bronchodilators intended for cases of acute respiratory distress only. I suspect 'placebo effect'. $425 every month! Big pharma wins again.”

Tinkerbell · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 2, 2020

Spiriva (tiotropium): “Been using Spiriva for a little over 7 years. Never could tell any difference. I used to have the problem with empty capsules, but when I started making sure that the larger half of the Capsule was inserted first (at the bottom) of the device they started working right every time. No more empty capsules.”

ttyme October 3, 2011

Spiriva (tiotropium): “I have taken this medicine on and off for 2 years and the side effects outweigh the benefits. Terrible night cramps, dry mouth, coldness down to the bone all the time which goes away when I stop taking it. I can breath better with it but it is not worth the other side effects. I have had Bronchitis and asthma since I was 8 yeas old and I am now 70.”

BG in so ca December 15, 2016

Spiriva (tiotropium): “Not so much of a comment about the effectiveness of Spiriva, but more about the company's "QUALITY CONTROL" which sucks! I've had a ongoing discussion with Boehringer Ingelheim, the company that makes Spiriva for the last year after receiving "blank capsules" in their packages. At a cost of over $12.00 (in my case) per capsule, this is unacceptable. I honestly expected that this was a isolated incident at first and reported it to the company (and pharmacy) immediately, and again, and again, and again! At first they stated it was a "isolated incident", then it was a "equipment malfunction". Seems like they have a endless supply of excuses, rather than fixing the problem!”

Don R · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 26, 2015

Spiriva (tiotropium): “Recently, I went to the emergency room with a blood pressure of 212 - 231 over 100 and pulse 68. Nothing was wrong physiologically, the ER doctor suggested reviewing my many medications with my primary doctor and cardiologist. I tend to be proactive and while doing this I dialed back my meds to the bare minimum which left blood pressure medication, aspirin and Asthma inhaler, thus eliminating my Spiriva despite not having any side effects. Today after a couple of days, off of Spiriva, I had real difficulty breathing and shall breathing, so much so that I cut my activities short to get home and rest. I reviewed the Spiriva side effects and applicable to me would be increased heart rate, and in my case a benefit. Can't live without Spiriva”