User Reviews for Theophylline to treat Asthma, Maintenance

Also known as: Theo-24 Elixophyllin

Theophylline has an average rating of 9.4 out of 10 from a total of 9 ratings for the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance. 89% of those users who reviewed Theophylline reported a positive effect, while 0% reported a negative effect.

Theophylline Rating Summary

9.4/10 average rating

Compare all 71 medications used in the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance.

Cheen September 2, 2020

Quibron-T (theophylline): “Quibron-T is the worst tasting medicine ever. ”

Kathleen March 24, 2020

“I was prescribed theophylline in September 1979...I have taken it ever since. I am sure that it has saved my life because when I started it, I could hardly breathe. The only problem I have with the drug is I have to be careful with drug interactions as it doesn't play nicely with a LOT of other drugs. I am 77 years old now and it is the only prescription drug that I have to take...I think that's a pretty good track record for the drug.”

Old guy · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2020

“Mild asthma returned when we got our puppy. Difficulty breathing requiring albuterol inhaler 2-3 times daily. Inhaler is a "rescue" and not to be for routine use. I returned to 150mg theophylline daily (evening - 2 hours before bed) and 1 tablet loratadine in the morning. The combination works superbly well. No heart issues, no sleep interruption or difficulty. I am within my optimum BMI range, generally good health, treated for mild hypertension, and age 70. I selected these two products because they are generics (therefore FDA finds them rather safe on their record) and I have no adverse events from them.”

Ms Val April 24, 2009

Theo-24 (theophylline): “I am 53 years old. In the past I have accepted the fact that I will always have shortness of breath. However, it became worse. I was referred to a Pulmonolgist and he started me on Theo-24. This medication is the best thing that could have happened to me. I can breath again. May 1st I will be able to resume my exercise at the gym. The next thing I want to do is be able to run. I have not done that in such a long time. I am happy with the results. And now I feel like I can live a normal life without experiencing SOB with every step I take. A wonderful product. Thanks.”

Lady FA July 27, 2008

Uniphyl (theophylline): “This is the only medication I take for acute asthma. I have been on this medication for 19 years and have only been to the emergency room twice in 19 years. So what do you think. I am also a professional nurse. Uniphyl 400mg twice a day. It's the best.”

Anonymous June 28, 2009

Theo-24 (theophylline): “I've been taking Theo 24 300mg for about 24 years now for my asthma. I haven't had any problems with side effects and rarely use my rescue inhaler. It has really helped my asthma and I would recommend it to others to try.”

Anonymous July 12, 2010

Uniphyl (theophylline): “I have used theophylline for many years. This medicine gives me an excellent quality of life, with near perfect control of my chronic asthma (along with the use of an albuterol and steroid inhaler, as needed). I tried switching to Singulair several years ago. Within a month, my asthma was really bad.”

amelia May 2, 2013

“My experience theophylline is great. I only used theophylline as needed when I have a asthma attack, I used for 1-2 weeks with my rescue inhaler and in 1-2 week my asthma goes away for a long time. I only get asthma when I get a cold so for me this works, recently my PCP told me they do not recommended theophylline but I told her this its the only medication that works for me. ”

Jimbo September 22, 2019

“I have had borderline COPD commingled with asthma. 16 months ago I had my first flare-up that required prednisone to deal with it. While pred. knocked it down, it came back regularly until within 4 months I needed 25mg pred. about twice a week just to be able to breathe. Over this time I was worked through the full COPD treatment decision tree (Lama/laba/ICS in various combos), all to no long term effect. Seven months ago I finally got my doctor to prescribe theophylline. The only reason I knew about it is that my 83 year old mother also has COPD/Asthma, and theo. works for her (again, after all inhalers failed). It took a month before it really cut in, but I have my life back. Note I am also using spiolto plus alvesco. Before the theophylline, the alvesco worked effect for a few months, then zilch, while the spiolto never worked. After three weeks on theo. (1.5 x 250 mg Nuellin daily), they both seemed to start working, especially the spiolto.”

remindjess · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 23, 2016

“I took theophylline as a child for 5 years, and it's hard for me to give it a rating. It saved my life. I had asthma so bad that nothing else could control it, and there were no alternatives available then. However, it has damaged my heart, and I now must take a Beta-Blocker daily to control my chronic tachycardia. Someday, my heart may wear out sooner than it should have. But I guess if I hadn't been on theophylline, I wouldn't have made it to age 11. If there is any alternative that can work for you, please try it first. If this is literally your lifesaver, then the long term heart effects are worth the trade off. Not everyone who takes this long term gets heart damage, but it's very likely. It's rarely prescribed due to this.”