User Reviews for Tetracycline to treat Acne

Also known as: Actisite, Achromycin V, Brodspec, Ala-Tet Emtet-500 Sumycin 250

Tetracycline Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 321 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Tetracycline

Anna · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 26, 2020

“I started to get acne when I turned 19 and started using tetracycline HCL, 2 pills in the morning and 2 at night. I also used the topical steiva Retin A cream and my acne dramatically went away from the acne and the scarring. I used it for about 3 months, although the acne went away before that. Unfortunately I am 22 going to be 23 this year and I still struggle with acne. I am back on the tetracycline to clear up my acne again and deciding if I should take Accutane because it’s been years and it just won’t go away.”

Ol · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 24, 2020

“I had acne on my scalp for many years, I've been prescribed to use Tetralysal for 3 months twice a day. After the first pill I got success! New pimples stopped popping up at all, I was extremely happy, also I got any side effects. BUT. After approximately 8 weeks since I started to take Tetralysal acne returned back to me (I still had 4 weeks left until course complete). Now I'm waiting for a new doctor's appointment and extremely disappointed. I don't really know what to think. Did I become resistant to Tetralysal?”

Jesse · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2020

“I used tetracycline for about 1 month. For 3 weeks I took 500mg a day (one capsule at morning and another at night) and on the last week, just 250mg (on the morning), besides I took then with probiotics (2 hours at least after the evening antibiotic dosage to not kill the probiotics). So my antibiotics are over but I'm still taking the probiotics. After 2 days, I've realized that I've broken out a bit but my face is still red.”

Aw February 16, 2020

“This medication tetracycline has been amazing 8 days in and skin totally clear!! Never had spots until my forties and made me so depressed... big cystic lumps that hurt and I tried everything to the point that I tried a cream that made my eyes and skin swell... was horrific... I can now finally smile again :)”

Shasha · Taken for less than 1 month January 13, 2020

“I've been using tetracycline for few weeks now, the difference is huge and It works wonders I didn't experience any side effect . My doctor prescribed 3 months of oxytetracycline and hope these results will last after I finish the treatment.”

User · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2020

“Tetracycline had the same effect as doxy, complete waste of money and time for me. Have been on two courses of this drug and all it did was make my mild acne worse and did nothing to help what so ever. Antibiotics don’t help acne, if you’re lucky enough to get improvement from them don’t expect it to be permanent..I have now been on 4 courses of antibiotics and after coming off my last course of doxy I’m now on probiotics to fix issues caused by doctors giving me antibiotics for acne - it has left me with even more problems than before I started.”

Long term acne · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 24, 2019

“I was prescribed Lymecycline for 8 weeks, one per day on an empty stomach (no dairy for an hour before or hour after). I have suffered with acne for 4 years and I really did see a difference with this antibiotic. I ONLY saw a difference at the very end, it is very important you finish the whole antibiotic cycle to be able to see the result. Trust the process! My acne isn’t completely cleared but it is way less aggressive and I only have one or two spots now. Side affects were feeling very sick in the first few days, but eating made that go away.”

Lll October 12, 2019

“I have dealt with acne my whole life, however in my teens it was very moderate and mainly in my T zone (not hormonal) A few years later, I started to develop moderate to severe acne and cysts (my skin was in the worst condition it had ever been in). After half of a year of struggling, I went on tetracycline, and I started to notice a difference within just a few weeks. After 6 months on the medication my skin is now perfect; my acne is totally gone and my scarring is gone too because I am not consistently having breakouts. I still have minor breakouts from time to time, but nothing that is damaging to my skin. This medication 100% worked for me and I would recommend to anyone who is struggling with acne to try because it may work for you to! I am very strict at following the proper instructions for taking the medication. I always take it at the same times of day with an empty stomach.”

Alex October 2, 2019

“I'm an adolescent that have been taking tetracycline for nearly 4 weeks now but no remarkable results. No side effects except a little bit of stomach ache so I suggest to take it after lunch or dinner.”

Therese · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 27, 2019

“I used tetracycline for 3 months for acne on my cheeks, by the end of the treatment it had cleared all my acne out but now 6 months later I am getting it back on same area as before. It also gave me side affect with constant Candida problems / yeast infections that I been fighting since starting to take the antibiotics course. Problems I never had before. Still working on curing it. I would suggest not using it this.”

Mtcheww · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 11, 2019

“Tetracycline was the worst thing. It gave me acne that I never even had after I stopped it (1 month usage) My oh my do I regret using this. I'm regret taking this stuff and I want to tell everyone to try stay away from antibiotics. Over all it isn't healthy and it isn't a long term solution. While I was on it it gave me whiteheads and THE MOST OILIEST SKIN I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH. Almost two weeks into stopping it I am still very oily .. :( I'm so sad... I think I'll try use Retin-A. I now have terrible texture. Deep cystic acne and clogged pores EVERYWHERE please please please be careful guys... Antibiotics isn't something you should play with.”

AprilH July 28, 2019

“I've been on tetracycline for 5 months now and it works well for my acne. Suffered acne for a year after moving abroad, was really depressed and I tried so many products but they didn't work for my skin. Finally a doctor prescribed me tetracycline 300mg once/day and my skin started to clear up. Now I can say my face is 100% acne free. Now in the process of clearing up my acne marks. It's very effective for me and no side effects. I had my liver function and blood count checked and they're all normal. Wish it would do the same for you. Good luck.”

Daniella · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 5, 2019

“Please be extra cautious about tetracycline as I took it for a month for my acne, which was prescribed by my dr. Never did he mention that I should protect myself from the winter/spring sun! Unfortunately I have suffered the tetracycline side effect of severe pigmentation from the sun which will never go away. I would avoid this meds if possible.”

Oi oi December 4, 2017

“I've been using tetracycline for around 5 weeks now and have gone from constant, incredibly painful, inflamed, angry acne covering my cheeks, jaw line and even cropping up on my forehead to acne free skin. It took around 3 weeks for me to see a noticeable difference but from then onwards the results have been consistent. I haven't had a new spot in 2 weeks now, so I can finally focus on treating the hyperpigmentation left from previous acne.”

Satoriii August 23, 2017

“I have taken pictures of my face before, after 3 months and now after 6 months. My face has cleared about 60% and I don't get those inflamed acne that can't be cleaned out either anymore. After 3 months I was given the topical cream that contains Adapalene supposedly found in Accutane and that helped with any breakout on the way but also made my face bit dry,(Avene is great mid-range cream for during the day, unless you're putting sunscreen like recommended). I haven't noticed much side effects but on one occasion I went out mid-day and haven't put the sun-screen on. I got light sunburn but the redness was present for unusually long time, about a month? GP has put me on for another 3 months so let's see.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 9, 2017

“I did not enjoy being on tetracycline. I got extremely nauseous and almost vomited several times. It was a lot to put up with for little results. It also took a while before seeing results. I also noticed I was bruising a lot easier. I switched to minocycline which I like A LOT better, I noticed better results and I have no side effects! If you're having the same problem as I did with the side effects, switching to minocycline (the sister of tetracycline) may be beneficial for you! Goodluck! I know acne can be super stressful but don't let it get you down, it never looks as bad as you think”

sakldjfo101 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 18, 2017

“Going on tetracycline was a failed attempt at curing my acne. I have mild acne with deep pimples sometimes. The antibiotic did not begin to work until after I was done taking it (I was on it for about 3 months), and it gave me bad stomach pains. After about 2 months of getting off of tetracycline all of my acne came back on my face, and it appeared to be worse on my back and chest. I do not recommend this as a remedy for acne. This was a big waste of time and I regret taking it.”

Mapots April 12, 2017

“Its an amazing antibiotic for acne and the nausea is all worth it”

mirk88 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 6, 2017

“Loved the results from tetracycline. Was on for 3 months and had the best skin I have ever had. Cleared up my chest and face within a week. Unfortunately within a month of being done the prescription I started to break out again. Going back to the dermatologist tomorrow to ask to go back on.”

Heo joon jae January 19, 2017

“I had severe acne. Since I started to use tetracycline, my acne was gone and I cleared up my skin unlike before.”

Hebeuaiqmwb December 22, 2016

“I've been on Tetracycline for about 10 months. I tried different face cleaners, than went on to topicals including TAC2O. But nothing worked. I started this and my acne did start to clear up, acne on my chest went away completely, back acne was almost gone and my face was 10x better than it was before. The only problem for me was, that even though my acne wasn't terrible around my period I would spike dramatically, and my entire face would break out. But for the most part my face did stay mediocre. Having between 4-7 spots rather than my 15-20”

Patrice Diaz August 12, 2016

“I'm 16 and it worked wonders! Treated my chest, back acne and especially the acne on my forehead! Still get one or two pimples on my face, but still looks just like it did when I was little kid. Didn't really treat it on my chin. All in all looks good. Although it delayed my period for a month and a half, and I've been on it for a month and a half, apparently a lot of antibiotics do that. Gonna go ask my doctor about that on my next appointment.”

Selinah · Taken for less than 1 month August 4, 2016

“I used tetracycline hydrochloride ointment together with betamethasone valerate for the terrible breakout I experienced last year (based on Doctor's prescription). I must say that the combination worked well for my acne except that my face became very fair, almost white ( I am black by the way) and the acne scars became very conspicuous. I was advised to stop the treatment by my Doctor. My face returned back to normal after a while and the scar disappeared almost completely. Unfortunately the breakout is back and I am planning to go back to this treatment as every other regime isn't giving the desired result.”

Graham K July 20, 2016

“I was on Tetracycline for my mild acne for 3 months and the results where absolutely amazing. I couldn't believe how good my face was getting. If i had a bad breakout it would only take 3 days for that breakout to leave because of Tetracycline. I've been off it for a month now and unfortunately my clear skin was as clear i started to breakout after i stopped but it was as bad as my acne was 4 months before treatment. At the moment i'm on Retin A but might be moving over to Accutane if topical does not succeed. For anyone who is scared for Tetracycline. Done be, the side effects are very mild and are nothing close to what they say the symptoms are. Best of luck too anyone trying this for the first time.”

ccgmw October 9, 2015

“I have been taking tetracyne for a month now, my face and upper back cleared up, but my lower back acne and side acne flared up. I'm not sure why that happened.”

Learn more about Acne

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)