User Reviews for Micardis to treat High Blood Pressure

Micardis has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 34 ratings for the treatment of High Blood Pressure. 41% of those users who reviewed Micardis reported a positive effect, while 35% reported a negative effect.

Micardis Rating Summary

5.6/10 average rating

Compare all 286 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Micardis

Aporo · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2021

“I have been on Cozaar 50 mg (brand name for Lozartan) for 15 years. Apart for stuffy nose, it worked well. However, in 2020 it started to wear off as I waked up with high BP and shortness of breath. 3 months ago, my Dr changed to Micardis 40 MG, then increased to 60 mg. Since then on Micardis, I developed anxiety and very awful insomnia in spite that I swim regularly. I am planning to quit this awful medicine, and see a cardiologist.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 18, 2020

“Took Micardis 80mg once a day for 3 weeks. It didn't lower my BP at all. You would think a pill that costs $233.00 per month would do something to lower your BP.”

Deebles62 · Taken for 10 years or more November 9, 2020

“I have been on 40mg Micardis 1 time per day for over 12 years and it always controlled my blood pressure. I had a minimal side effect of nasal congestion. Recently, my insurance decided that they would no longer cover Micardis and switch me to generic telmisartan. The pills no longer control my BP and my doctor has increased me to 80mg and it is still not working. Additionally, I have been dizzy and just have a general feeling of ill health. I want to make it clear that the GENERIC is NOT the same as the name brand and I resent my insurance company for forcing me to take a product that does not work!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

EastIndianfromToronto · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 20, 2019

“I was diagnosed at age 47 with BP 140/90 and am a south asian. I am 56 years now and a type 1 diabetic since last 35 years. I have had no side effects and started on Micardis 40 mg by my endo and then he upped it to 80 mg to be safe. My BP is well under control and it hovers around 125-134/65-75 I check my BP everyday and keep a log by taking pics on my iphone of what it is and what food I eat. I avoid frozen food and pizzas and climb 10 floors everyday which helps it reduce by 10 points on the systolic number and bout 7-8 points on the diastolic number. I tried the generic and had muscle pain as well as shoulder pain on my right at night time ”

wontdie · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 17, 2020

“MICARDIS SHOULD BE BANNED ...I HAVE BEEN TOLD I MUST TAKE IT NOW FOR SEVERAL YEARS , BUT MY REACTIONS ARE GETTING MUCH WORSE BEING 10 of the 12 side effects that they warn about. I went off for a while felt fabulous then BP spiked doctor made me go back on the Miocardis now feel as I would be better not on this earth. Anyway I have terrible sinusitis all the time, dry mouth, headaches, permanently exhausted , sore throat ,awful back pains , and now my kidneys are packing up. I gave up and stopped taking them 2 days ago and BP spiked again. There has to be something better ?? I have just heard that NHS in UK are starting a trial of a new med which is two injections a year. Wondering where you sign up as an act of final desperation. ”

Justphua · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2019

“I was prescribed 20 mg of Micardis and like many experienced the lightheadedness, dizziness, and back pain. It also caused my throat to swell, mild nausea, vision problems, chest tightness, heartburn, the feeling I was going to faint, flushing and pressure in my head. Basically my blood pressure medication made me feel like I was going to have a heart attack and stroke. I stopped taking it 4 days ago and still have these symptoms. Time will tell if this stuff has done permanent damage.”

Kat · Taken for 10 years or more July 4, 2019

“Took Micardis for about 15 years. Did great for my blood pressure. I also had sinus problems off and on and every time I went to Dr. they put me on antibiotics for sinus infection. Got to where I didn't got to the Dr. and just "bit the bullet" on the sinus problems. One day I decided to look up all my medications and found that sinus problems were a side effect of Micardis. I quit taking the Micardis and what do you know, my sinus problems are gone. I've taken Micardis 80 mg/w hctz; 80 mg without hctz and 40 mg without hctz. It works great for blood pressure, but the side effects don't warrant taking it for me.”

Bill · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 25, 2020

“I have been on Micardis 40mg for over 6 years now. I must be one of the lucky ones as I have had no side effects to speak of and my Doc has been happy with my BP readings. Also pleased to note that I have dropped about 4 kilos of visceral fat with no change to my diet.”

Marley farley November 26, 2015

“Ive been on this tablet for 3 years now and whilst it was an initial improvement to what I had been prescribed previously its side effects do build up over time. Joint and bone aches. Memory loss,fatigue, itchy tired dry eyes, weight gain, sugar cravings, raynauds syndrome , nails and hair very slow growing.Oh and yeah I looked up what it contains and im horrified to see sodium hydroxide =caustic soda (drain cleaner) .”

Anonymous October 8, 2010

“I started on Micardis 4 months ago, the first month it didn't seem to help, the second month it controlled my high blood pressure perfectly, then the third month I started getting horrible side effects. My left arm would go numb and tingly, I had horrible headaches, insomnia, diarrhea and chest pains. I was exhausted all the time yet I couldn't sleep, had terrible nightmares. The pills work great for controlling my blood pressure but the side effects are awful!”

The Highwayman June 17, 2008

“Fantastic. Suffered minor heart attack several years ago at 37 years old, am now 41 years old. Recently started having severe chest pain and was put on Micardis 80mg, after being admitted to hospital, suspected heart attack (pain was that bad), luckly , no heart attack this time and blood pressure dropped from 196 to 125 after a couple of weeks. Feel a lot better. Now on the 40mg dose.”

billgary March 18, 2009

“At one time I was taking as much as 5 different blood pressure medicines at a time trying to find something that would lower it from around 200/110. After a year of that I changed doctors and I was given Micardis HCT 80/12.5. That was four or five years ago and my BP is now averaging 128/74. If there are any side effects I sure haven't noticed.”

Lou22 January 5, 2017

“I have been on Micardis 40mg then 80mg for the last 10 years. My blood pressure hovers around 140-150/90-95. I am 5'11" and weigh 105kg. I've not had any major side effects that I can tell, but recently in the last 1 year when I turned 44, I started to experience insomnia. At first it was for a few days, then weeks. The longest bout of insomnia I had was 5 weeks where I couldn't sleep (tossing/turning) until 5-6am. Thereafter I could sleep for about 2 or 3 hours before I had to get up for work. I've checked some medical websites and apparently telemisartan drugs like Micardis may cause insomnia.”

Kath Wilson · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 7, 2015

“I have been taking this medication for about 3 months now and don't think I can stand the side effects any longer. I am constantly itchy -everywhere -new rashes appear constantly. My eyes are red, swollen and itchy to the point where it now looks like I have healing black eyes. Blood pressure down but side effects are too much.”

Anonomys July 24, 2009

“Soon after starting Micardis I suffered from dizziness, nausea, irritability and I had no energy. It continued, then I started shortness of breath. Was told by my doctor it was not the medication. I went to a cardiologist and she kept me on it and put me on Imdur. Then severe headaches occurred. I'm now going natural and taking my chances.”

Anonymous January 6, 2012

“I'm white male, 53 yrs old, 5'11" and 185 lbs. I just discovered that I had High Blood Pressure about a month ago during a wellness checkup. The nurse took my blood pressure 4 times on the right arm and 3 more on the left. I was running about 180 /120. After she told me that she'd seen 400 lb men with better numbers than that I decided to see my MD. I've been on Micardis almost 30 days and it seems to have lowered it to the 140/90 range. I also was put on Bystolic just 5 days ago due to a rapid pulse of 100 bpm. Now down to 75-80. The only side effects have been occasional dizziness and some sharp pain in my hip when I move just so. I did have a scary tightening of the chest and shortness of breath the other day. It seemed to pass in about 2 mins.”

Tenn. November 23, 2009

“I have tried: Toporol XL, Coreg & Diovan all of these controlled my Blood pressure. But all had more side effects than I thought was reasonable. When I started Micardis I had some dizziness the first week. I now feel the best I have felt since starting blood pressure medication. My pressure is now 125-130/70-80.”

cherdo · Taken for 10 years or more November 20, 2014

“I love it. No side effects. Tried others because of insurance. All had lots of side effects. I'm really upset because insurance companys are dropping it. I can't take the generic for it. Made me sick as a dog with severe muscle pain.”

Anonymous June 26, 2009

“I started on Micardis 80mg, good for reducing my blood pressure, but I had bad vertigo, dizzy, had too lie down, felt sickly and had cold sweats. Did not agree with me. Reduced it to 1/2 a 40mg tablet. Felt okay for a day then had vertigo again. Stopped taking tablets.”

One who cares. March 29, 2016

“I am fifty-nine years old, I have been on 40mg of Micardis for over five years now, it does control my blood pressure, but the side effects include the following. When first subscribed Micardis, leg pains were like charlie horses, lasted about 7 months, mostly at night. For the last 2 years, my insomnia is getting worse, so I started taking 2000mg of vitamin D3 that helps with insomnia, now I'm dealing with the constant coughing mostly at night. I will meet with my cardiologist within the next week, will ask for another blood pressure med.”

Anonymous July 27, 2010

“On starting 40 mg Micardis experienced severe dizziness that lasted about a month, eventually subsiding. Okay for another 4 months then started to have burning and pain in feet and lower legs especially at bedtime. Had to stop even though was doing a good job with blood pressure. Now taking Diovan and doing well.”

just a person November 16, 2009

“I have done much better on Micardis than on the other one I used to take, Cozaar. Micardis lasts longer and seems to get my pressure way down. I'd say all in all I'm very pleased. My doctor said It's a great drug.”

Karherine · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 1, 2017

“My experience has been one of falling over if I get up too quickly. Bent down to clean the floor after had dropped some food. Fell and hurt my ribs. Stopped taking Micardis the falling stopped. Have recently gone back on it and have had two falls.”

joeyjojo · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 12, 2017

“I suspect causation between Micardis (40mg) and BPPV. I've missed my dose a couple of times, blood pressure rocked up to 140/90's and I felt great the following day. Normally BP is 120/80's on 40mg but I feel like crap with a general level of dizzyness through the day. Sparadoic episodes but this BPPV episode has lasted 6 months now. Worse in morning and means lying down/standing up takes special headmoves to minimise dizzy episode.”

Anonymous August 2, 2010

“I took this medicine 2 years ago for about a month because of my other hypertension medicines were causing rashes. After a couple of medicines were recommended, I took Micardis and although it lowered my pressure some, I was waking up every two hours at night. So I switched to several other medications that also did not work well. I told my MD I would try Micardis again because the side effects were less than all other medicines I had tried. So far (8 months) my pressure is better and the insomnia is workable and not so constant.”

Couch Potato April 26, 2010

“I had taken Micardis for about 3 years, starting from 40mg and recently 80mg. My doctor said the drug also helped prevent cardiovascular disease. The initial 40mg went well without any side effects. Blood pressure was consistently 130-140/80-90. A few months ago when I turned 38, during my routine blood pressure checks, I noticed that it was 140-150/90-100 even with the 40mg pill. Monitored this for about 2 weeks and it remained thereabouts. After consulting my doctor, he recommended a higher dosage of 80mg. It worked, and the pressure stabilized at 70-90/120-140. However, I did notice a slight discomfort in my respiratory tract or somewhat a mile heartburn (I think!).”

Anonymous October 21, 2009

“I've been on Micardis for about a year because I complained about the side effects of Accupril (dizziness). The Micardis is better but I stay around 140/90. I've noticed a reduction in sex drive since starting this drug, all else seems okay. I'm 35 years old.”

rolandcooke July 10, 2010

“Started using Micardis HCT 40mg only 3 days ago, as an initial treatment for high blood pressure. No drastic side effects yet, except for slight dizziness, and abdominal pain related to gas (once). I am worried about sexual issues, since there are lots of reports going around saying that Micardis may hamper erectile function. Other reports say exactly the opposite! Will have to test this on a long-time basis. All in all, seems pretty good.”