User Reviews for Bactrim DS

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Bactrim DS.

Bactrim DS Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 383 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Bactrim DS to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"I was having some pretty bad UTI symptoms, so I went to my local urgent care and they gave me Bactrim. Oh my goodness worst medication I’ve ever taken!! I took only one dose at the urgent care. Went home and later that night, I’d say maybe 3-4 hours in. I was so nauseous. I finally got myself to sleep, to only wake up and vomit my guts out many times. Then I wasn’t able to eat for hours. It’s been about 3 days now since I haven’t taken any medication. And my stomach is still in pain, having nausea, gagging, and not able to eat quite the same. Stay away from this drug. It’s not good. It’s very bad for your stomach. Save yourself."

Brittany18 (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2017

"Horrible! I will tell you it does work for a UTI. My UTI is almost gone, but the side effects are terrible. I was doing fine with the medication the first day and now today is my second day.Currently, I am at work jittery, having chills, I had two panic attacks and today I just started having migraines. I am only on this for three days. I have two more pills left. Tried to make it but I don't think I can handle this while working. Not so much dizziness for me just making me really tired. I will be staying on Cephalexin."

NubianQueens December 14, 2017

"Started on Bactrim for an UTI and after 4 doses, I ended up in the ER. The doctor had thought my appendix ruptured due to the extreme pain and projectile vomiting. It wasn't my appendix, it was the Bactrim. Now, I'm under the care of a gastroenterologist due to vomiting after eating, severe stomach pain, bloating and diarrhea....2 weeks later. She's afraid it's damaged my gallbladder, but I'm currently undergoing testing. I was not on any medication, and had no health problems previously. This whole situation is a nightmare. I don't understand how this medication is still on the market."

BCMS (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2017

"Loved it! It did its job. On it for 10 days. This drug has been around a long time - Nurses use it all the time for "older" patients. You MUST take it properly with a disciplined regimen. 1) Take some multi-strain probiotics to add back in more good fighter bacteria. 2) Strains should include yeast to prevent yeast infection. 3) Flush (drown) your system with water - shoot for 12 8oz glasses a day. Add lemon to some of the water for kidney health. 4) Take psylliym fiber, prune juice when necessary. Your gut will be very unbalanced while the army of good and army of bad are fighting and you won't know how many "soldiers" you have on each side at any given time."

Zoe1018 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

"I strongly advise against taking this drug. Many people do not know that this drug has been banned in the UK due to the amount of people that died from it or contracted Steven Johnson Syndrome, which is characterized by your skin falling off. I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI. Clearly, there were a lot of other options to prescribe a small, 100 pound girl with a minor infection. However, the doctor chose this drug. I took 3 pills out of the 14 that I was given and I had such a severe migraine that I could not open my eyes or chew food. The pain eventually went into my neck and that is when I stated to panic - called doc and was told I had an allergic reaction and stopped taking it immediately."

DaniM October 18, 2017

"I was scared to death to take this medication. I got the Bactrim on a Friday night and didn't have the courage to take it until Sunday night. The horror stories I read about it almost gave me panic attack just thinking about the what if's. Luckily I haven't had any side effects other than my lips burned a bit after the first dose and I was jittery. I am sure to eat a full meal before taking the dose."

Sarahearn22 (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

"I had a bad UTI and I have taken this in the past and I am now taking it again. I get 4-7 days depending on doctor. It almost always clears it up. If you don't eat like I do then you can get nauseated if you take it on an empty stomach. The pill is huge so I chew it and use a spoon of yogurt and eat it down like that. I wish they made chewable versions or coated versions as it's hard to take but I do take it! The pill is a miracle worker and helps me greatly."

Misslilliana (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2017

"Was prescribed two pills per day for seven days. I could already tell about 5 hours after I took my first dose that my UTI symptoms had improved. Not miraculously, but enough to give me some relief. I went and got some Azo too, but ended up not needing to take it because the Bactrim started to help pretty quickly. I've taken three doses now, and my symptoms are MUCH improved. I will of course continue the full course to make sure the infection is knocked out completely. I haven't really experienced any side effects at all. I think if you follow the instructions to a "T" you will have much fewer, if any, side effects. Take the pill with a meal and at least one full glass of water, then water all day long. It works!"

Pamela789 September 2, 2017

"No health insurance. Went to the ER for UTI and was prescribed Bactrim. UTI symptoms quickly subsided (didn't disappear completely but like 90% better) so that was nice. Then the Bactrim symptoms started. Oh man. I had a different set of symptoms every day. First it was tingly hands and severe fatigue. Then I had a full blown panic attack (depression and anxiety can be made worse by Bactrim apparently so I tried to keep reminding myself of that). Last couple of days I've had headaches and bad nausea. I'm on day 6 of my 7 day course now-- gonna try my best to make it through the whole course but wowww it's tough. I just hope these symptoms clear up once my pills are gone. It got its job done but made me miserable in the process!"

Mega530 September 2, 2017

"I'm on my 4th day of the dosage. Since day one of taking it I started vomiting a couple hours of the dose. Been like that ever since, vomiting and diarrhea all day. Today I started eating yogurt after taking it on recommendation of the pharmacist. It has helped some and cut down the severely and frequency of the vomiting and diarrhea but hasn't eliminated it. Can't wait to reach day 7 to be done.. I called the doctor, only thing he said was I had to keep taking it or I'd be admitted to hospital. Screw that I'll deal with the stomach issues. Good luck to you if prescribed it and try the yogurt it helps. BTW, pepto will make you immediately puke if you try to take some while on bactrim. I dunno why, but from my personal experience it does, beware!"

Sick dude August 26, 2017

"Got a pretty nasty UTI ... I've had them before so I knew the drill. Went to the Dr. The infection was confirmed. He prescribed Bactrim DS, twice a day for 7 days. I read the information provided by the pharmacist so I knew what to look for in case of a problem & took the first dose. I did have a few side effects, dizziness, mild nausea, and my blood sugar was off, but the infection felt better by the end of day 1. I can deal with mild side effects if it means fixing a larger problem. Pros & cons to everything! I would take it again if needed."

E.Oliver (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

"This is my first time commenting on any medicine. Anyways I almost didn't even take this medicine because all of the bad reviews but thank God I did!!! Please don't let these negative comments stop you from taking this medicine. The ONLY side effect I currently have is a bit of nausea and that's only because I do not eat much as I am on a calorie restricted diet. Maybe these people are having bad reactions because of an allergy to sulfa drugs or it is just the symptoms of the really bad UTI . IDK....I'm on these pills and have 1 more day left and it has brought my kidney pain down tremendously. I usually react badly to antibiotics but not these so thumbs up!"

Yoyo90 (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

"UTI turned into kidney infection then into severe sepsis which is infection of the blood. 4 Days in the hospital on continuous antibiotics. Went home with Bactrim for 7 days. No side effects at all."

Sipress (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

"Bactrim has always worked for my UTI. I do see a pattern in the complaints about. The bottle doesn't say not to consume. If you mix bactrim with the smallest sip of wine you will get those side effects that I see mentioned. If you take bactrim do not consume any wine, beer, or hard liquor."

Imacble July 9, 2017

"The first day, I experienced some nausea. Now? I have a sore in my mouth that popped up out of nowhere and one side of my bottom lip is swollen. I'm so sick that I can't eat anything and have zero appetite. I keep getting the shakes and chills that weren't there before starting it. I suffer from anxiety and anxiety is a common side effect with this medication - so now my anxiety is through the roof and it's also caused severe insomnia. I'm constipated, have terrible muscle spasms and cramps in my legs. I've never had an issue with a sulfa drug before but after this I will definitely not take one ever again. It's not worth the side effects/allergic reaction"

Lauren B., Georgia (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2017

"I had a UTI finished an entire prescription of macrobid. I noticed as soon as I finished the meds my UTI symptoms came back - so it didn't work for m. I then tried bactrim. The pain went away after 1.5 days of being on bactrim which was a huge relief but it is now day 4 and I am suffering from nausea, cold sweats, chills, insomnia and anxiety. It works for your UTI but the side effects are unbearable after a few days."

Lu1111 May 30, 2017

"Had a severe UTI that wouldn't clear up on it's own so I had a doctor that called in Bactrim. Within 15 minutes of taking it I had severe flu-like symptoms. It is now 3 years later ... I can only eat about 10 different foods due to intolerances and severe allergies to most anything. I cannot tolerate chemicals or outside allergens either. I basically live in a bubble- of pain, fatigue and misery. When people ask what happened to me, all I can say is, I don't know, I took Bactrim and it ruined my immune system. Did the Bactrim clear up the infection? Yep... sure did."

VindictiveKes May 28, 2017

"Bactrum did help my infection pretty quickly. HOWEVER, it is one month since I took the last dose and I still have major insomnia. Some nights I don't sleep at all others just a few hours . I would never take this drug again, ever!!!"

Sunset123 May 26, 2017

"Prostate UTI asked not to be given Cipro as it can cause permanent tendon damage if you are doing repetitive movements. See CBC news article. They gave bactrim. It's a poor substitute. Dizzy, tired, dry eyes, damn slow working. On day 4 of 7 not much better. Cipro is the one of choice for prostate in my experience to work well but it has it's side effects too."

Marduk (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2017

"I don't know what is it with all these users reporting ineffectiveness or side effects. Maybe mostly people who have complaints are the ones who take the trouble to write reviews. I had a UTI, and a few hours after taking the first pill of Bactrim my symptoms started to clear. On my third pill now and no side effects and starting to feel better than I have in weeks."

DABbio (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

"Prescribed generic Bactrim DS, 2x/day for 3 days. Just took my last dose and minimal side effects. I always ate a big substantial meal before taking this medication even though I had loss of appetite (ate food that had tons of starch). Also, drank tons of water after and throughout the day. I was constantly peeing but at least I knew I was drinking enough. Had minor upset stomach and fatigue but still very functional esp when the pain from UTI was gone. Took a day and half to feel relief."

Urmoot (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2017

"I was given Bactrim for a UTI in November 2016. On day 2 my entire lower half of my body became numb. And I mean all of it including the female parts. I was convinced I had MS, Lou Gehrig disease, or even piraformis nerve entrapment. I looked them all up and never in a million years thought it was related to the antibiotic, never even crossed my mind. Nothing made sense that was happening to me. I had to hold onto walls to walk and the nerve and numbness pain was unbelievable. I had no insurance so really never got checked out. When my mom randomly said her friend had a terrible reaction to this drug I started reading. I put it all together and all of my symptoms are because of this. It is now February and I have 80% of feeling back. But still not in female area or left foot but am hopeful I will continue to improve but takes a LONG time. This is the worst experience I have ever gone thru in my life. And, I HAD taken this drug before so you never know."

SusanBecameParalysis (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2017

"I would not recommend this to ANYONE. I have had bleeding in my urine for over two weeks and the doctors associated it with a UTI. After being given macrobid, and symptoms persisting they gave me septa. I took it for two days twice a day with food was fine, on the third day not so much. I began shaking uncontrollably, dry mouth, I was incoherent to the point I couldn't even understand what people were saying to me, heart was racing, I was dizzy, and extremely nauseous. It literally felt like I had been roofied (drugged up) . I don't even remember half the night and I had horrible insomnia. I don't even understand how this is on the market. Would never EVER take this again."

Confused and dazed February 3, 2017

"I was prescribed Bactrim DS for a severe UTI and 7 day twice a day schedule. On the second day of dosage, I began having Flu-like symptoms such as dizzy spells, nausea, aches, weakness, and I felt so sick, I thought I was going to die. I felt worse each day and by the 6th day of dosage, I had to return to my doctor. He said I must have had a severe allergy to this medicine. He gave me a shot of antibiotics and prescription of 500 MG Amoxicillin. I am finally feeling better. The Bactrim did not work on me. They put a note in my chart to not prescribe Bactrim to me again. I think that some people have allergies to this, I know I do. Hope my story helps you."

Annie the techie December 17, 2016

"I have taken this medicine off and on many times, works wonders, I always have refills if it comes back! It's definitely my go to!"

Rigley December 15, 2016