User Reviews for Bactrim DS

Learn more about Bactrim DS.

Bactrim DS Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 384 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Bactrim DS to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"This is an amazing drug, I've never had any side effects besides that one where my bladder infection went away, if your reading people's posts who have horrible side effects they probably have an easily upset stomach. Don't eat or drink water. In most people these don't cause side effects when properly taken. Or allergic! I wouldn't be too worried."

Mitsubishi22345667 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2016

"I was scared to take this because I read about people having horrifying side effects...I'm taking the generic form of Bactrim DS 2x a day for 7 days. On day 5 and the only side effects I've noticed are mild gas and a headache. If you're skimming these reviews looking for reasons to be scared, just remember that most of these bad reviews are from people who are probably: A) Allergic to the medicine. B) Not drinking enough water. C) Using alcohol and non-prescription drugs which you are NOT supposed to do while on Bactrim. D) Not taking it with food. Take the medicine with food and a good probiotic and it will help minimize your side effects. Drink LOTS of water and stay out of the sun while on this medicine! Not soda, not coffee, WATER."

A-Thorson June 6, 2016

"This is day 2 taking this med. It makes me very queasy and very tired. The nausea and tiredness start about 30 minutes after I take one, and seem to last for 6 or 7 hours. I try to take it with food, but I don't have much appetite (not gonna be mad about that tho). The uti seems pretty much gone, but I'm also taking Azo."

Anonymous May 26, 2016

"This was amazing! I had my first UTI this morning I had frequency and irritation after I urinated. I took Bactrum about an hour ago and I'm was in so much pain until a couple minutes age when the medicine kicked in! I feel so much relief and I have less urge to go! UTIs are terrible and I'm so sorry for everyone who has gotten one but I'm also glad that there is medication to treat it and that it works this fast!!!"

Lizzie12345 May 7, 2016

"Hey you, yeah, you reading this review. Take a breath. If you're speeding through all of these experiences, you're probably looking for potential side effects and reactions of other people. I know, because I'm just like you. I can tell you the first day I took Bactrim, I had a horrible migraine. The worst I've had in months. But guess what--I also didn't drink coffee that day after having a constant intake for weeks. I had other problems like chills, but wait, I got this medicine for an infection! So many symptoms people experience are likely a result of other things. My uti went away. I drank lots of water and milk with it. Other than experiencing a few more headaches, and a bit of tiredness, I was fine."

Liz.Pag (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

"Worked after three does, but that is when the headache started. No relief from headache with Tylenol or Motrin. I'm going to ask dr. For different drug. Also seemed to get chapped lips, dry hands, and did get low blood sugar accompanied by sweating on third day on this medicine. UTI seems to be cured though."

Where's the john March 20, 2016

"I have been on bactrim for the last 3 days and on the fourth pill and its done nothing for me"

Karen Willerbee February 3, 2016

"I went to the Dr and was prescribed Bactrim for a urinary tract infection. I initially took it on a empty stomach which was a mistake. Taking it with food, even crackers, prevents nausea, and most other side effects. I am on my 3rd full day of taking it and I have no relief from my symptoms. I'm waiting for my culture to come back and will call my Dr for something else if necessary."

MLongRN (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2016

"Knocked UTI symptoms out effectively after the first 24 hours. However, the side effects were not pleasant and were very noticeable: headache, nausea, dizziness, light-headed, weakness, sweating, dry mouth, excessive thirst, tiredness. I'm on day 3 and have asked the doc to switch me to something else so I can function better at home and work. Trying Cipro. Be sure to drink water constantly when on Bactrim DS."

sparriott (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2015

"Was on cipro for a week but no relief so my doctor switched me to this drug. Felt relief within 72 hours. I had extreme nausea and a headache the first day I took this drug but then I started to take it with meals and I haven't had those side effects."

Anon22222 December 27, 2015

"only took the medication for 5 days, had read about it online after being prescribed it and got really worried at all the awful side affects. I experienced nausea and headaches and slight itchiness while on it and was glad to finally get off of it. It is my 3rd day off of it and the itching has got worse and all over now. I only have a few tiny redish bumps though and I am experiencing anxiety on and off randomly and just feel weird and have also caught a cold (sore throat/cough). will never take this medication ever again and I severely advise against it."

e6 November 29, 2015

"Im currently taking bactrim for a UTI. It relieved my symptoms rather quickly however the side effects are really bothering me. I've had the most painful migraines since taking it yesterday. I also have the chills and slight nausea. I wont take this medicine ever again once I finish it. The constant painful headaches are not worth it."

Hshhs November 24, 2015

"Having a horrible experience on Bactrim. This antibiotic should come with a warning label. Urinary symptoms have not been relieved yet (going on 3rd day). Experiencing severe nausea and diarrhea. Zofran helps somewhat. I don't know that I can continue this medication for 3 more days."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2015

"I have been taking bactrim now for about a week n a half for a uti, and mrsa. I am sure it's workin because the kidney pain has subsided however the nausea is so crucial it's like the worst nausea I've ever had in my life. Not to mention headache and chills. Ugh I don't know if it's worth it"

flores1413 (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

"So, I wanted to review this drug because I've been on five antibiotic treatments within the last month and a half for the craziest UTI I've ever experienced in my life. Landed in the ER for fevers and pain and worst was the mental confusion.... Anyways, during this time I've been on IV antibiotics, Z pak as well as Keflex, which gave me horrible anxiety and extreme photo sensitivity. When I tried levaquin, it sent me to the ER. Then finally bactrim DS was prescribed. After taking it the first night I did have some trouble sleeping but after two doses of the medication I did adjust. I have been taking probiotics with these meds. It's helped overall. Side effects I noted vivid dreams, fatigue, and constipation were the main three."

Leahjaybee123 October 30, 2015

"Had no negative side effects. Got rid of my UTI fast."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2015

"I have been suffering with a UTI for at least a month and a half, I have been prescribed nitrofurantonin and Cipro 2 times...with those drugs I had still had the urge to urinate and immediately when I stopped those two antibiotics the symptoms came right back. Doctors were getting ready to send me to a urologist until I mentioned bactrim. After one dose of the antibiotic I was feeling 80% better. I haven't had any side effects yet and its day 2...These drug is God sent!"

Reetee October 15, 2015

"I got my first UTI 5 days ago but thought it was just a yeast infection. So I used yeast infection medicine until my lower abdomin hurt so bad and it was impossible to urinate, even though I had the constant urge to go. I was miserable. Went to ER Sunday evening around 6 and was sent home with Bactrim DS and Pyridium. Within hours I could urinate better and within 12 hours I had no abdominal pain and could urinate just fine and completely empty my bladder. And that was after just 1 dose. I'm so grateful for this antibiotic and think it's wonderful. I did get a slight headache but it was definately worth it."

Birthdaygirl1978 (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2015

"I'm 21 years old with my first UTI. My symptoms started on Saturday (constant urge to go, lower abdominal pressure/cramps, and an extremely uncomfortable urge to continue voiding even after I was done, and dark yellow/brown urine) went to the doctor yesterday(Wednesday) and was prescribed a 7 day prescription to bactrim. My symptoms seemed to dissipate within hours (was still feeling them just not as severe) I've taken 3 doses and all my symptoms have stopped and I can have full voids. Not feeling any side effects From the medication, but glad to be feeling better. Urine was still sent in for a culture. Been drinking lots of cranberry juice and water at my doctors recommendation to "flush" everything out. Feel much better"

Apbeaeryl August 13, 2015

"Bactrim helped with my bladder infection symptoms, but I have had the worst headache for three days straight from it. It hurts so bad that I've been nauseous. I hope I never have to take this again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2015

"It's my 4th day on Bactrim and it has not been great. I feel better from the overall symptoms but I've been fatigued and super groggy and for the first day I had a horrible headache. I keep feeling my heart pounding in my head and ears, but I agree with pretty much everyone else on here, the symptoms from the cure are better than the symptoms of my bladder/kidney infection. I've got 6 more days... Is it effective? Yes. Is it an enjoyable experience? No."

y1223445 March 17, 2015

"I took a form of this medication a couple of years ago (Septra, which has the same ingredients) and it cleared up my UTI, although I thought it was a little slow to fully work. So when I got a UTI about a week ago suddenly, I asked my doc to prescribe it for me again, only this time it was Bactrim. I'm funny with antibiotics, I don't like taking them and I have a very sensitive stomach, so I like to stick with what works. Took it again this time, and noticed my symptoms improved, then got bad again. I had two side effects this time, loss of appetite and jittery feeling. I went back to my doc and my urine sample still showed white blood cells, so they sent my sample out to be cultured for a better prescription. It helped but didn't cure it."

DeeAW2010 (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2015

"It didn't work it gave me a cold and headaches and severe cough and a yeast infection, it's day 7 of 10 and I have NO RELEIF. I do not recommend this. Maybe it just doesn't work for me I don't know. I don't think I'd ever use it again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2015

"it is important to know medications affect everyone differently Your genetic chemical makeup is not the same as sue or bill. FYI you are encouraged to drink lots of water when taking Bactrim not everyone will have the same symptoms it is a sulfa drug so if you have an allergy to Sulfa drugs then you might want to tell your doctor let him know and they can prescribe you something else only thing I've had symptom wise with bactrim is a headache and ibuprofen will normally help with the body aches and headache but if you are having any adverse reaction it's a good idea to let your physician or pharmacy know. Zofran is good for nausea and benedryl may be effective with hives or rash but if you have any concerns please consult a medical profes"

kimberlyjaex (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2015

"I have had these urinary tract infections and the only thing that works quickly is the Bactrim DS. It works in a matter of days. Side effects are different for everyone but as mild as mine have been I would choose this over any other antibiotic. Very happy! Make sure that you always take the full dose and the whole bottle as prescribed even though it feels like it's going away. best wishes!"

Mustang girl (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2015