User Reviews for Bactrim DS

3.9

Prevention of Bladder infection

Summary of Bactrim DS reviews 5.4 239 reviews

Reviews for Bactrim DS

For Acne "I have a weird form of cystic hormonal acne, it does't show up all over my face but when I get spots they are bigger than a quarter and deep. Only go away with multiple cortisone shots or lancing. They look more like boils. Anyway my doctor decided to try something new last time I got one of these. I had previously had a bad reaction to bactrim a decade ago but was on immunosuppressants at the time (I have Crohns) so we weren't sure if it was truly the bactrim. Well after taking 1/2 dose for only 4 days my skin was perfect, but I had landed in the hospital with low platelets, low hematocrit, brown urine and feeling pretty close to death. Scary, scary drug. Thanks bactrim!"

Raccoonmath (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection "Had a UTI last month and had 5 day treatment with Septra eased off the symptoms slightly but didn't clear the infection."

Ace0601 January 8, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection "Bactrim is the worst. Anytime I get on it, it makes me nauseous sick to my stomach, headache, trapped in the bed and regardless if i finish or not, it does not take the UTI away!"

Anonymous January 8, 2019

For Sinusitis "Like many others, I read review after review on here of negative experiences, making myself terrified of taking this drug. As someone who is so worried about throwing up that I carry anti-nausea medication with me everywhere I go, I was very reluctant to begin 6 weeks of Bactrim after reading all of these reviews. Fortunately, I experienced no major side effects and it seems to be helping with the infection. Some very mild nausea at first that was likely anxiety-induced, and acid reflux which is common with all antibiotics. Yogurt and a probiotic daily helps with this. Anyway, I promised myself that I would write a positive review if I ended up having a positive experience, so here it is. If you're worried like I was, remember that people are way more inclined to post drug reviews online when they have negative experiences, than normal or positive ones. The vast majority of people taking Bactrim feel absolutely fine, and keeping this in mind may help ease your fears as well."

ParanoidForNothing (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection "Took Bactrim DS for a UTI two doses daily for three days. Did the trick. No major side effects, maybe a slight headache and a little light headed a couple of times. However, not awful and most likely from my sinuses. I am normally sensitive to meds and was afraid after reviews, but no problems. I would take it again."

MDP (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2018

For Sinusitis "I literally took 3 pills and had to stop. I was worried it was a stomach virus but nope it was Bactrim. I’m not sensitive to antibiotics but this was horrible. I threw up and felt nauseous about 12 hours after the third pill."

MommyM (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Batrim did not work to cure my UTI. Two doctors visits (because he didn’t listen to me when I said Bactrim doesn’t work for me) and two rounds of antibiotics later it was fixed. Cipro. Cipro is the only thing that fixes mine. I don’t know why Batrim doesn’t work on me, but it doesn’t."

Beth K. (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 11, 2018

For Bacterial Skin Infection "Eczema on fingers of both hands became infected after several months of me failing to control the eczema on my own. Doc prescribed Bactrim DS twice a day for ten days. Worked very quickly and my fingers looked 90% healed after two days, but unfortunately I had to discontinue Bactrim after I had severe anxiety, insomnia, severe tension headaches, hand trembling, neck muscle soreness, and heart palpitations. I made it 4 days before I decided to switch to something else. Had side effects not been as severe, this would have been a 10/10 for me for how quickly it fixed my skin. No diarrhea, nausea or GI issues for me."

Smitty (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "NP prescribed bactrim bc I had back-to-back UTIs. Unfortunately, I have an extremely severe allergy to bactrim that I was not aware of. However this allergy DID NOT SHOW SYMPTOMS UNTIL I HAD BEEN TAKING IT FOR 6 DAYS. I went to the ER because I was developing a red rash and my throat and tongue were swelling up. THE ER DOCTOR TURNED ME AWAY BECAUSE HE THOUGHT I HAD A VIRAL INFECTION. He gave me a Tylenol and sent me home. I ended up going back later that night because I had developed a high fever, headache, and my WBC counts were VERY low. I saw 10+ different doctors before they could decide if it was actually an allergy. They had to keep me for observation because they were afraid the drug was affecting my internal organs. Did it clear up the UTI? Yes. But if you can avoid the drug, I would suggest you do. If you think you are having an allergic reaction to ANY drug please don't let the doctors dismiss you! I didn't trust my gut and I just got sicker because of it."

Pegs November 17, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "I’ve been taking this and am randomly getting anxiety & a jittery feeling. I also keep having weird dreams since I’ve been on it. I had a ear/near my tooth infection. I’m allergic to amoxicillin so I was prescribed Bactrim. I’m on the 8th day & I feel insomnia and anxiety. My feet are also really cold. It fluctuates but I’ll be quitting tomorrow since I don’t feel like myself"

Hhh November 15, 2018

For Prevention of Bladder infection "Second time on this drug. No issues the first time but this time it was horrible. Hives, chills muscle pain joint pain headaches"

Mo (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I had a mild UTI. I went to the urgent care and was given Bactrim. I took one evening dose around 6pm and one morning does around 6am. At around 10am, I developed a severe migraine. I left work around 12:30pm, got home from work around 1:00pm, and by 2:00 I was violently throwing up. I was in the bathroom for about 3 hours - I fell asleep slumped over the toilet. I felt queasy the rest of the day as well as the following two days. For the record, I have never thrown up from a migraine before and I am not someone who throws up a lot (last time I threw up was 4-5 years prior due to food poisoning, and I threw up just once that time. The time before that was about 10 years prior to the food poisoning due to stomach flu). Even though it seemed to work, I will never take Bactrim again unless it is the only antibiotic option for something that will kill me otherwise. I felt HORRIBLE."

C (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2018

For Kidney Infections "making me sick to my stomach, which is causing me to miss classes"

horsecrazy (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Been on Bactrim before and it worked but had been on daily low dose antibiotic since Keflex 11/17. Then 3 weeks ago another UTI so was put on Cipro after culture last dose Friday. Urine still cloudy with a foul odor. Sick Sat yesterday went to ER as had a migraine, nausea and fever. They did Computed tomography of kidneys, ureters and bladder (CT KUB) scan and send me home on 3 weeks of this antibiotic. In pain today with fever so took Tylenol. I am alone and dunno what to do. My doc office may be closed as i can’t figure what’s going on with their phone lines."

Cockatoo October 8, 2018

For Sinusitis "I just wanted to pop in and say Bactrim is a Sulpha drug. A lot of people are allergic to Sulpha and some are allergic to the trimethoprim part as well. Those of you having a reaction, this is probably why. You also need to tell your Dr you're allergic to Sulpha drugs or trimethoprim so they don't prescribe you any! Be well!"

Vikingwarmaiden (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2018

For Sinusitis "Hope I'm not responding prematurely, but I feel improvement within 24 hours. Still have 12 days to go."

Elliemae (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "after completely the course of 14 tablets 800X160 DS. The symptoms did not go away."

Ziggy (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2018

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I had a very widespread bacterial infection all over my legs and it spread to my arms thanks to a misdiagnosis at the first clinic I went to, but I was prescribed Bactrim from the second clinic. My rash has cleared up a lot and I've noticed a big change, but the debilitating nausea, cold sweats, and stomach aches are the worst. It will come and go in waves and it will wake me up in the middle of the night. I have eaten a lot when taking this and I drink a lot of water, but every time I take this I have to take an Advil because the stomach pain is just unbearable. Every time the painkiller wears off I feel like I'm dying. The result of the rash going away is worth it, but the pain and nausea is NOT."

Cindy (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2018

For Sinusitis "Don’t believe everything you read here. I took this drug for a sinus infection I developed on a plane coming from overseas. Within four hours I started feeling better. Took about five days until I felt completely well. When I went to see the doctor, I had a temperature of 100.3 and felt bad. This drug may not be for everyone but it worked for me. No side effects."

Marylin (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Worst thing ever. I feel like I’m anchored to the floor, headache, feel as though my face is on fire, and it’s not helping the UTI. The kicker? Called the doctor and was told these are normal side effects and not an allergy. Never again."

Pissedmomma (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I've only been in it for 3 days, I could NOT finish the 3rd day, I now have to wait 2 days to get new antibiotics because bactrim is AWFUL. I felt like I was on my death bed ever since the 3rd pill. I couldn't take my second pill for the day. Stay AWAY from septra/bactrim. Praying the infection won't worsen. I'd rather have something completely safe and will cure my infection. By the way, it did NOTHING to the infection, in fact it's gotten worse ever since I started taking it. Please DENY any prescriptions for bactrim/septra."

NoU (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I have never had such a horrible experience with an antibiotic. I only took it for three days, twice a day and I was so nauseous I couldn’t eat anything, and I got so dizzy that I couldn’t even walk straight. I will never take this antibiotic again."

Help September 4, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed this for a rather mild UTI. I took it with a granola bar in the morning and was drinking tons of water. Within 2 hours the migraine set in, then the nausea and what felt like menstrual cramping then the body aches and chills and what I thought was a fever but was really just all my skin becoming very hot my face looked like it had a slight sun burn. I called the pharmacy and they said this was not the drug but rather symptoms of my UTI. I was so sick that I left work and went to urgent care, they re tested my urine witch now came back negative for everything and they told me to immediately discontinue taking it. The symptoms lasted well into the evening and the migraine followed me into the following day. I'm not sure if this was an allergic reaction or if I was just super sensitive to it, but it was one of the worst nights of my life. For reference I am 5"2 120lbs and was given 160mg twice daily for 3 days, and I do have a somewhat sensitive stomach."

jo August 31, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was given Bactrim DS twice a day for 5 days for what they thought was a UTI. I took it for 2.5 days, until they pulled me off of it because I ended up not having a UTI. I didn't have any side effects during the time I was on it. A slight dull head ache in the afternoon. I ate with it, and drank lots of water. I was warned by the pharmacist you can develop a rash; I don't believe this would have occurred for me."

April (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "Post c-section possible MRSA infection. Used medication 7 days prescribed for 10. Skin on face went bonkers. Chills and night sweats. Insomnia.then the itching started ..never again"

Britb (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2018