User Reviews for Bactrim DS

Learn more about Bactrim DS.

Infection Prophylaxis 2 reviews 24 medications

4.5
Prevention of Bladder infection 1 reviews 29 medications

Summary of Bactrim DS reviews 181 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Bactrim DS

For Urinary Tract Infection "I strongly advise against taking this drug. Many people do not know that this drug has been banned in the UK due to the amount of people that died from it or contracted Steven Johnson Syndrome, which is characterized by your skin falling off. I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI. Clearly, there were a lot of other options to prescribe a small, 100 pound girl with a minor infection. However, the doctor chose this drug. I took 3 pills out of the 14 that I was given and I had such a severe migraine that I could not open my eyes or chew food. The pain eventually went into my neck and that is when I stated to panic - called doc and was told I had an allergic reaction and stopped taking it immediately."

DaniM October 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis "This worked fine. I have no side effects. The people above seem to have an allergic reaction to this medication. Obviously stop taking it. You don't need a Dr to tell you that."

Paulnuts (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection "Prescribed Bactrim after I got bit by a black widow spider. 36 hrs after the bite, my skin was red, swollen and a red streak was tracking up my arm towards my armpit. Given bactrim to prevent worsening cellulitis (further infection). No issues until I took a morning dose, 4th day, after only having coffee. Felt queasy and an hour later , had cramps, bowel motion. Thought I needed to eat. Ate half avocado and 15 mins later, vomited till stomach felt empty. Only took about 8 heaves but rested my gut for a few hours and kept down fish, egg and avocado. Next dose about 10:30pm and I'm eating first!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was scared to death to take this medication. I got the Bactrim on a Friday night and didn't have the courage to take it until Sunday night. The horror stories I read about it almost gave me panic attack just thinking about the what if's. Luckily I haven't had any side effects other than my lips burned a bit after the first dose and I was jittery. I am sure to eat a full meal before taking the dose."

Sarahearn22 (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I had a bad UTI and I have taken this in the past and I am now taking it again. I get 4-7 days depending on doctor. It almost always clears it up. If you don't eat like I do then you can get nauseated if you take it on an empty stomach. The pill is huge so I chew it and use a spoon of yogurt and eat it down like that. I wish they made chewable versions or coated versions as it's hard to take but I do take it! The pill is a miracle worker and helps me greatly."

Misslilliana (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Was prescribed two pills per day for seven days. I could already tell about 5 hours after I took my first dose that my UTI symptoms had improved. Not miraculously, but enough to give me some relief. I went and got some Azo too, but ended up not needing to take it because the Bactrim started to help pretty quickly. I've taken three doses now, and my symptoms are MUCH improved. I will of course continue the full course to make sure the infection is knocked out completely. I haven't really experienced any side effects at all. I think if you follow the instructions to a "T" you will have much fewer, if any, side effects. Take the pill with a meal and at least one full glass of water, then water all day long. It works!"

Pamela789 September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "No health insurance. Went to the ER for UTI and was prescribed Bactrim. UTI symptoms quickly subsided (didn't disappear completely but like 90% better) so that was nice. Then the Bactrim symptoms started. Oh man. I had a different set of symptoms every day. First it was tingly hands and severe fatigue. Then I had a full blown panic attack (depression and anxiety can be made worse by Bactrim apparently so I tried to keep reminding myself of that). Last couple of days I've had headaches and bad nausea. I'm on day 6 of my 7 day course now-- gonna try my best to make it through the whole course but wowww it's tough. I just hope these symptoms clear up once my pills are gone. It got its job done but made me miserable in the process!"

Mega530 September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Kidney Infections "The first two days were fine... I was diagnosed with a kidney infection and it seemed to work pretty well, despite a little nausea... Day 3 is when all hell broke loose. I started a new job and was running errands. I had left the house, took my medicine, grabbed a water bottle but didn't have time to eat what a mistake. 2 hours after taking Bactrim my head felt like it was going to implode. While I was driving on interstate 95 through northern VA I had a quick onset of nausea. There was no where for me to pull off. I ended up vomiting all over myself. By all over myself I mean all over myself and my car. It continued and has now been 24 hours. Went to ER for severe dehydration and am now spending the night at the hospital. Yay!"

Martha1992 August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I'm on my 4th day of the dosage. Since day one of taking it I started vomiting a couple hours of the dose. Been like that ever since, vomiting and diarrhea all day. Today I started eating yogurt after taking it on recommendation of the pharmacist. It has helped some and cut down the severely and frequency of the vomiting and diarrhea but hasn't eliminated it. Can't wait to reach day 7 to be done.. I called the doctor, only thing he said was I had to keep taking it or I'd be admitted to hospital. Screw that I'll deal with the stomach issues. Good luck to you if prescribed it and try the yogurt it helps. BTW, pepto will make you immediately puke if you try to take some while on bactrim. I dunno why, but from my personal experience it does, beware!"

Sick dude August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Got a pretty nasty UTI ... I've had them before so I knew the drill. Went to the Dr. The infection was confirmed. He prescribed Bactrim DS, twice a day for 7 days. I read the information provided by the pharmacist so I knew what to look for in case of a problem & took the first dose. I did have a few side effects, dizziness, mild nausea, and my blood sugar was off, but the infection felt better by the end of day 1. I can deal with mild side effects if it means fixing a larger problem. Pros & cons to everything! I would take it again if needed."

E.Oliver (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "This is my first time commenting on any medicine. Anyways I almost didn't even take this medicine because all of the bad reviews but thank God I did!!! Please don't let these negative comments stop you from taking this medicine. The ONLY side effect I currently have is a bit of nausea and that's only because I do not eat much as I am on a calorie restricted diet. Maybe these people are having bad reactions because of an allergy to sulfa drugs or it is just the symptoms of the really bad UTI . IDK....I'm on these pills and have 1 more day left and it has brought my kidney pain down tremendously. I usually react badly to antibiotics but not these so thumbs up!"

Yoyo90 (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection "I am taking this for cellulitis. I have been on it for 5 days, and the swelling has gone down significantly, but the side effects are really crappy. I feel achey, hot, and I have a headache, and my joints hurt, but I'm not sure if this is also from having Lyme Disease in the past."

Lysh Lysh July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "Granddaughter in hospital thanks to this, everyone do the research"

Anonymous July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "UTI turned into kidney infection then into severe sepsis which is infection of the blood. 4 Days in the hospital on continuous antibiotics. Went home with Bactrim for 7 days. No side effects at all."

Sipress (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Bactrim has always worked for my UTI. I do see a pattern in the complaints about. The bottle doesn't say not to consume. If you mix bactrim with the smallest sip of wine you will get those side effects that I see mentioned. If you take bactrim do not consume any wine, beer, or hard liquor."

Imacble July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection "My 83-yr old father took only five (5) pills over the course of a few days and ended up in the hospital in acute renal failure and 103 degree fever. This man was not on any medications prior to taking Bactrim DS and was still working. His kidney functions have not returned to normal, his blood platelets are critically low, his blood pressure is now elevated, as well as his blood glucose. His whole life has changed for the worse all because of five (5) Bactrim pills. I just hope he's on the road to recovery."

Sherry L (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I was prescribed Bactrim twice a day for 10 days. The first day was ok by 2nd day I had a bad case of nausea and itchy. 3rd day nausea, fatigue, flu like symptoms and feeling cold along with insomnia. I stopped taking it and gradually I'm feeling myself. I continued keflex until the infection healed. I won't take it again. It's not worth the misery in my opinion."

Kaino (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "The first day, I experienced some nausea. Now? I have a sore in my mouth that popped up out of nowhere and one side of my bottom lip is swollen. I'm so sick that I can't eat anything and have zero appetite. I keep getting the shakes and chills that weren't there before starting it. I suffer from anxiety and anxiety is a common side effect with this medication - so now my anxiety is through the roof and it's also caused severe insomnia. I'm constipated, have terrible muscle spasms and cramps in my legs. I've never had an issue with a sulfa drug before but after this I will definitely not take one ever again. It's not worth the side effects/allergic reaction"

Lauren B., Georgia (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "I was prescribed this medicine for a upper respiratory infection and sinus infection. The first day it helped me sleep taking the two pills. My third day I was feeling a lot better able to get out of bed felt like everything was going away. Later in the night on my third day I started having chest pains, peeing a lot, and extremely tired. My forth day I was having more chest pain and my brain felt cloudy. I'm on my fifth day and I don't know if I'm going to continue it . Started getting short of breath , and light headed. Starting to feel how I was feeling before I started the medicine. I wouldn't recommend at all."

Annax June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis "this drug is EVIL!!!! stay away from it."

mar0721 (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis "I recently took Bactrim for a sinus infection. My first day of taking the bactrim. I got nervous and my hands started to itch I couldn't sit still. I broke out in a red rash on shoulder and left hand and my feet is red and both sides. But I had previously took bactrim before over the years with no problems. And this time I was shocked because I had taken it before. So I went to the Urgent Care and they told me not to take it any more. So I am throwing the cheap in the trash. And I just hope that my sinus will heal on its own."

Cine (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis "It did help the sinusitis. The side effects were awful. Yeast infection that took 6 pills of diflucan to get rid of. I had blisters.. most about 2" to 3" in circumference on my legs thighs and back. It took a while for them to heal too. My joints ached. Definitely on my never to take again list."

ZeeGee June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I had a UTI finished an entire prescription of macrobid. I noticed as soon as I finished the meds my UTI symptoms came back - so it didn't work for m. I then tried bactrim. The pain went away after 1.5 days of being on bactrim which was a huge relief but it is now day 4 and I am suffering from nausea, cold sweats, chills, insomnia and anxiety. It works for your UTI but the side effects are unbearable after a few days."

Lu1111 May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Had a severe UTI that wouldn't clear up on it's own so I had a doctor that called in Bactrim. Within 15 minutes of taking it I had severe flu-like symptoms. It is now 3 years later ... I can only eat about 10 different foods due to intolerances and severe allergies to most anything. I cannot tolerate chemicals or outside allergens either. I basically live in a bubble- of pain, fatigue and misery. When people ask what happened to me, all I can say is, I don't know, I took Bactrim and it ruined my immune system. Did the Bactrim clear up the infection? Yep... sure did."

VindictiveKes May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Bactrum did help my infection pretty quickly. HOWEVER, it is one month since I took the last dose and I still have major insomnia. Some nights I don't sleep at all others just a few hours . I would never take this drug again, ever!!!"

Sunset123 May 26, 2017