User Reviews for Bactrim DS

Bactrim DS has an average rating of 4.9 out of 10 from a total of 350 ratings on Drugs.com. 32% of those users who reviewed Bactrim DS reported a positive effect, while 44% reported a negative effect.

Urinary Tract Infection
Nocardiosis
Summary of Bactrim DS reviews 4.9 350 reviews

Reviews for Bactrim DS

E.N. · Taken for less than 1 month April 10, 2021

For Bacterial Infection: “I started Bactrim DS 3 days ago for an infection in my jaw. Everything seemed to be ok but I began feeling extremely weak and achy. By the second dose on day 3 I began running a fever of 101.7. I thought maybe it was the infection. My glands in my neck were swelling and my eyes were burning. My head felt like my brain was literally swelling. I read all of these could be a potentially serious side affect of Bactrim, so I didn't take the second dose like I was supposed to. After a couple of hours my fever started to break without me taking anything for it. My head started feeling better. I began to drink even more water than before to flush it out and the dangerous side effects began to go away. I know it was the Bactrim because had it been the infection, the fever wouldn't have gone down on its own without medication.”

Rosy · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 9, 2021

For Acne: “Doctor took me off minocycline due to pigmentation issues. Minocycline was a total solution to my skin problems except for the pigmentation (the skin under my fingernails was turning ever so slightly blue). Substituted with bactrim. What a total waste bactrim is. Within a month breakouts occurred at a moderate rate. It continued to worsen into the 2nd month. I have stopped taking it now.”

Liv · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 30, 2021

For Acne: “I started taking this medicine about 3 months ago once a day. I’ve always taken it after food and with a full cup of water. It started to make me nauseous until I got so sick I was puking and on the toilet for two days (I haven’t ever been so sick for so long). My stomach is still messed up and I haven’t taken it for about of week. And it didn’t get rid of my acne.”

Cwalk · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 29, 2020

For Prostatitis: “I’ve been on bactrim for almost three months for Prostatitis which is getting better slowly. Having some lower back pain. Has anyone else had to be on a bactrim for this long to cure this problem. During all this the pain started in my testicles and went up into pain behind my penis. So tired of this pain. Anyone else have the same issues?”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I promised that if I had a decent experience with this antibiotic I would write about it. You will not have any of these scary reactions if you are not allergic or are taking a medication that will interact with this. I have anxiety so I know how it feels to read horrible reviews about meds, but the bactrim worked great for my UTI.”

TJ · Taken for less than 1 month January 21, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Found this site as I was taking my first Bactrim dose and was concerned about side affects. The first day didn't feel great but I didn't attribute that to the medication. I took med with food, before and after and felt key was to drink a lot of water to flush system. I cut back on coffee intake as well. Completed all meds with no side effects. It cleared the UTI up quickly.”

ParanoidForNothing · Taken for less than 1 month January 1, 2019

For Sinusitis: “Like many others, I read review after review on here of negative experiences, making myself terrified of taking this drug. As someone who is so worried about throwing up that I carry anti-nausea medication with me everywhere I go, I was very reluctant to begin 6 weeks of Bactrim after reading all of these reviews. Fortunately, I experienced no major side effects and it seems to be helping with the infection. Some very mild nausea at first that was likely anxiety-induced, and acid reflux which is common with all antibiotics. Yogurt and a probiotic daily helps with this. Anyway, I promised myself that I would write a positive review if I ended up having a positive experience, so here it is. If you're worried like I was, remember that people are way more inclined to post drug reviews online when they have negative experiences, than normal or positive ones. The vast majority of people taking Bactrim feel absolutely fine, and keeping this in mind may help ease your fears as well.”

Cam September 6, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Took sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim for a minor testicular infection. I got very sick. It caused chest pain, shortness of breath, severe headache and sharp pains all over my body. The doctor told me it was in my head and I kept taking it. I eventually ended up in hospital and was so sick I could barely sleep. It’s been a month since I took this drug and while some of the problems are gone, I still have very bad muscle weakness, cramping in my legs, and sharp pains that feel like nerve damage, I’ve seen many doctors all agree that bactrim did something to my system. I urge you do not take this drug, I haven’t had any response from my doctor since I called with all my symptoms. It has gotten so severe I’m starting to think my life might never be the same and I was completely health, 21 year old before this. DO NOT TAKE THIS.”

A-Thorson June 6, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I was scared to take this because I read about people having horrifying side effects...I'm taking the generic form of Bactrim DS 2x a day for 7 days. On day 5 and the only side effects I've noticed are mild gas and a headache. If you're skimming these reviews looking for reasons to be scared, just remember that most of these bad reviews are from people who are probably: A) Allergic to the medicine. B) Not drinking enough water. C) Using alcohol and non-prescription drugs which you are NOT supposed to do while on Bactrim. D) Not taking it with food. Take the medicine with food and a good probiotic and it will help minimize your side effects. Drink LOTS of water and stay out of the sun while on this medicine! Not soda, not coffee, WATER.”

Hilly July 1, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Have been struggling with UTIs despite my many and varied preventive measures. Had some back up Bactrim that I tried instead of the Augmentin I was prescribed. On both occasions within a half hour I was in MASSIVE EXTREME discomfort, my vagina was on fire. I assumed I had developed a curiously fast yeast infection and treated it that way but with little success. Having done some research I now see it’s a less common but real side effect, similar to a swollen tongue or hives the vagina is the area affected. Lesson learned but terrible that this side effect isn’t mentioned more commonly, a nightmare.”

Anonymous August 5, 2011

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I'm very obsessive. Somewhere around a few years ago I started obsessing and being paranoid about medications. So, as I'm sure you are all doing right now, you're looking up reviews on this medication to determine if you'll take it. Just like I did. I almost gave myself a panic attack thinking about possibly taking this medicine and then having a serious allergic reaction. Luckily though, while speaking with my pharmacist he let me know I took this medicine last year and I remembered I was fine. The point is, every medicine has adverse effects. Chances are, you won't have major side effects. ”

Lissy Lou · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: “This Bactrim stuff is awful!!! Taking for a UTI. I am used to taking cipro, but have stopped due to the nasty side effects of that one. Have been taking the Bactrim for the UTIs instead. Every time I take this stuff I feel weak and dizzy, my head hurts so bad, and I get antsy and stir crazy. I don't want to eat or sleep and the nausea can be overwhelming. This stuff makes me feel like I am going to fade away and die. Once the medication wears off I feel much better, but then its time to take another dose and it starts all over again. Ugh!!! It gets rid of the painful infection, but my I just feel so awful while I am on this stuff.”

Msalexababy · Taken for less than 1 month September 29, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I was authorized to take Bactrim 2 pills a day for 5 days, to cure my UTI . This by far has been the worst side effects I’ve ever experienced while taking antibiotics. I did eat right before taking the pills and I got terrible nausea, light headed spells and muscle cramps. I drank plenty of water to help dissolve the meds that was all that seemed to subside if for a little while.”

Anonymous May 11, 2010

For Diverticulitis: “I have frequent episodes of diverticulitis. My doctor prescribes a 10-day supply of Bactrim DS. Many times 10 days is not enough to completely clear up the problem so I wind up needing an additional 10 days worth of medicine. I have not had any bad side effects from this drug. I wish someone would create a drug to prevent diverticulitis.”

lollipop69 · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Bactrim did a great job! My whole lower part of the body hurt and burned, it was awful. I couldn't even walk for a while without feeling strong pain. Going to the toilet was a nightmare and it happened every five minutes. I took Bactrim and the symptoms got worse, but then in two days I was cured. no pain, no nothing. Bactrim is perfect.”

Anonymous September 29, 2012

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I asked my doctor for a different type of antibiotic to take for this urinary tract infection instead of Cipro. This is my second day taking Bactrim for my UTI and I can already see improvement! It feels like the infections almost gone. I do however get a little bit of an upset stomach so eat something substantial just before taking it and drink a few more bottles of water than normal and you will be golden!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 6, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I've had multiple UTI'S in my life so I know what it feels like when I'm getting one. Tuesday night I had symptoms so I went to the doctor the morning after. Got prescribed Bactrim DS. I did what everyone shouldn't do and googled reviews. I was sooo scared to take it but I felt 100% fine. I was a little dizzy when I first took it but I honestly think that it was all in my head. This is the only medicine I take for UTI'S. I suggest taking it with food to prevent nausea. But no dizziness. No nausea. No fever. And my infection feels better already.”

Celtic · Taken for less than 1 month November 2, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: “3 days into the course, and I am experiencing: 1. Very bad dizzy spells. 2. Feelings of great weakness. 3. Feelings of great anxiety. 4. Feelings like I am dying, 5. My head & stomach are aching up a storm. 6 I am nauseated & vomiting. 7. Vagina burning, that started on the second day. I HAVE had Bactrim before for UTI's but have NEVER experienced what I am with this darn one. My question is what have they put/added into the drug to make me react in such a horrid nasty way?”

Daishaaaaa February 24, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “I read the reviews but I really wished I would’ve listened. It seems like it’s helping cure my staph infection but the side effects aren’t worth it. Maybe the medication was too strong of a dose but I had to take 800mg/160mg 2x a day for 10 days. I’m writing my review as I’m taking this medication, it’s making my heart race, it’s making me dizzy and lightheaded, jittery, messing with my stomach, confused, headaches are off the wall. I’m drinking plenty of water and eating plenty of food. I’m also breastfeeding and it seems like it’s making my son sick, he was fine until I started taking it and now he’s vomiting, very fussy, low fevers and sleeping on and off all day. We’re not around people too much so it’s highly unlikely he got sick from somewhere else. I stopped taking it after the third day. I had to call an ambulance because I was home alone with my baby and I felt so off and my heart was racing all day.”

Liz.Pag · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Hey you, yeah, you reading this review. Take a breath. If you're speeding through all of these experiences, you're probably looking for potential side effects and reactions of other people. I know, because I'm just like you. I can tell you the first day I took Bactrim, I had a horrible migraine. The worst I've had in months. But guess what--I also didn't drink coffee that day after having a constant intake for weeks. I had other problems like chills, but wait, I got this medicine for an infection! So many symptoms people experience are likely a result of other things. My uti went away. I drank lots of water and milk with it. Other than experiencing a few more headaches, and a bit of tiredness, I was fine.”

Mitsubishi22345667 · Taken for less than 1 month July 16, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: “This is an amazing drug, I've never had any side effects besides that one where my bladder infection went away, if your reading people's posts who have horrible side effects they probably have an easily upset stomach. Don't eat or drink water. In most people these don't cause side effects when properly taken. Or allergic! I wouldn't be too worried.”

Bj · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: “Worst medication ever. My anxiety is through the roof. I am freezing most of the time when I’m not drenched i sweat. Heart rate is racing. Can’t sleep due to the horrible feeling of not waking. It’s like the spins but different. I swear I was seeing the light! I would be listening to my husband tell me to drink the water next to me but I couldn’t respond or move. It was like I was paralyzed. Very terrifying. If at all costs please find an alternative antibiotic. I wouldn’t wish this on my worse enemy....pure torture. I am prescribed it for 14 days twice daily and I’m only on day 3.”

DABbio · Taken for less than 1 month April 22, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I don't know what is it with all these users reporting ineffectiveness or side effects. Maybe mostly people who have complaints are the ones who take the trouble to write reviews. I had a UTI, and a few hours after taking the first pill of Bactrim my symptoms started to clear. On my third pill now and no side effects and starting to feel better than I have in weeks.”

elletee November 11, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Make sure Bactrim is actually the correct medication for your UTI! I took Bactrim for 4 days with no relief before my doctor's office got the results back from my UA and realized that Bactrim is resistant to the bacteria causing my UTI. Now I am taking Cipro and it seems to be doing the trick. I did not have any side effects with Bactrim though, it just didn't work for me.”

Poodle · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Took Bactrim for UTI for 7 days. On 6th day had chills and body aches. Literally could not get off the couch. Went to dr and negative for flu and UTI was gone. Got worse (headache, severe body aches, nausea, diarrhea, no appetite--honestly the worst I've EVER felt) and ended up in the ER for fluids. Stopped taking it 2 days ago and still feeling effects. Be careful--wished I had stopped taking it at the first sign of stomach discomfort. Glad it's a reliable drug for some but for me it was horrid.”

Gidget · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Bactrim DS taken twice a day has been effective for each UTI I’ve had. It covers a resistant strain of E.Coli and has been effective all times I’ve taken it. I just make sure to eat a meal prior to taking it and I’m fine.”

Dani11 · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2014

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I used to get recurrent urinary tract infections but hadn't had one in 7 years. Just got one and they tried nitrofurantonin but it did nothing. I got Bactrim and the urgency and burning was gone within hours. I don't like taking antibiotics but UTIs are no joke. Bactrim worked for me and thank goodness. I get a little stomach ache but it beats the UTI symptoms!”

Anon · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Had what I suspected was a bladder infection that unfortunately I ignored and forgot about for 10 days, with symptoms that more closely lined up with a kidney infection. I've had many UTIs in the last year and one earlier this year. I've taken Bactrim for them before with no issue. Took a home UTI test to confirm suspicions of infection. Consulted a virtual doctor (can't get to an office because exposure to covid). And they prescribed Bactrim twice a day for 3 days. Took all the pills but symptoms came back at 5 am on the last day. (Took last dose of initial round at 11pm) Took another home test and showed trace of infection remained. Didn't know what to do, so I got ahold of the doctor again and requested an extension of the medication. 1 dose in and waiting to see if things improve.”