User Reviews for Bactrim DS

Learn more about Bactrim DS.

Infection Prophylaxis 2 reviews 24 medications

Prostatitis 5 reviews 46 medications

4.6
Summary of Bactrim DS reviews 126 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Bactrim DS

For Acne "As far as acne treatments go that are effective AND affordable Bactrim is a God send. Late 20's I started mildly breaking out. By age 30 I was getting deep painful cystic pimples. Running/ exercising especially made my condition worse. Bactrim DS improves acne within 24 hours.The redness and swelling is not near as noticeable. After about a week you will notice a close to clear complexion that almost glows...I had moderate acne, but I imagine that Bactrim will work for ppl who have severe acne as well. It does have serious internal esp on kidneys and liver bc it is a sulfa drug so you should drink a lot of water every day with this medicince. Do not drink alcohol while taking Bactrim, good luck!"

Anonymous July 22, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "This is an amazing drug, I've never had any side effects besides that one where my bladder infection went away, if your reading people's posts who have horrible side effects they probably have an easily upset stomach. Don't eat or drink water. In most people these don't cause side effects when properly taken. Or allergic! I wouldn't be too worried."

Mitsubishi22345667 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2016

For Acne "Dermatologist put me on Bactrim DS, to be taken twice a day with food. No side effects in the first few days and did a good job at clearing up my face. Currently I am on the 9th day and experiencing severe side effects. Fever, chills, extreme joint pain, muscle weakness and overall sluggishness. Also experiencing difficulty breathing, a tight chest, headache, and dizziness to the point of almost falling over, for no reason. The most severe of the side effects is the joint paint. Can hardly take a step on my right leg and cannot lift anything with my right arm. Bactrim does it's job however at the expense of your health. Please do your research before starting this drug!"

B.A June 8, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was scared to take this because I read about people having horrifying side effects...I'm taking the generic form of Bactrim DS 2x a day for 7 days. On day 5 and the only side effects I've noticed are mild gas and a headache. If you're skimming these reviews looking for reasons to be scared, just remember that most of these bad reviews are from people who are probably: A) Allergic to the medicine. B) Not drinking enough water. C) Using alcohol and non-prescription drugs which you are NOT supposed to do while on Bactrim. D) Not taking it with food. Take the medicine with food and a good probiotic and it will help minimize your side effects. Drink LOTS of water and stay out of the sun while on this medicine! Not soda, not coffee, WATER."

A-Thorson June 6, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "This is day 2 taking this med. It makes me very queasy and very tired. The nausea and tiredness start about 30 minutes after I take one, and seem to last for 6 or 7 hours. I try to take it with food, but I don't have much appetite (not gonna be mad about that tho). The uti seems pretty much gone, but I'm also taking Azo."

Anonymous May 26, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "This was amazing! I had my first UTI this morning I had frequency and irritation after I urinated. I took Bactrum about an hour ago and I'm was in so much pain until a couple minutes age when the medicine kicked in! I feel so much relief and I have less urge to go! UTIs are terrible and I'm so sorry for everyone who has gotten one but I'm also glad that there is medication to treat it and that it works this fast!!!"

Lizzie12345 May 7, 2016

For Bacterial Skin Infection "Super bad reaction. TERRIBLE! High fever, loss of appetite, lethargy, brown urine, LIVER INFLAMATION. NO RASH. After 7 days on Bactrim DS, feeling beyond terrible, I did some internet research and suspected drug fever. Ceased taking. Went to my doctor who ran blood tests which confirmed my suspicions. Liver enzymes: AST/SGOT 335 H (mine) 14-36 (unit/L) (normal range) ALT/SGPT 581 H 9-52 (unit/L) Alk Phos 307 H 38-126 (unit/L) Levels started to go down after I stopped taking it; it took 3 months for levels to return to normal. A lot of information says you have a rash with drug reactions. I did NOT. My skin infection did clear up. It wasn't that bad to start with. I asked him for something topical. Was not my regular Doc who prescribed it. My Doc said it was overkill. Just because the guy's a doctor doesn't mean he is a good doctor! Be your own advocate. Another round of this crap--who knows! Sulfonamides are one of the drugs that can cause a severe reaction"

Graygirl8 May 7, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "I'm on this medication after developing staph infection in my C-section incision. I began feeling dizzy on day one. I've had some itching on my stomach, but not too terribly. Yesterday (day 6 of 10) I developed a headache. I still have said headache. I feel blurry visioned & dizzy all day. Extreme hunger too. Idk. My staph is healing & incision looks great now... But after suffering a SEVERE spinal headache following my surgery... A headache is the last thing I want to experience. 3 more days... Ugh. Is it effective for infection? Yes. Is it pleasant to endure? Nope."

crissym April 30, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "Hey you, yeah, you reading this review. Take a breath. If you're speeding through all of these experiences, you're probably looking for potential side effects and reactions of other people. I know, because I'm just like you. I can tell you the first day I took Bactrim, I had a horrible migraine. The worst I've had in months. But guess what--I also didn't drink coffee that day after having a constant intake for weeks. I had other problems like chills, but wait, I got this medicine for an infection! So many symptoms people experience are likely a result of other things. My uti went away. I drank lots of water and milk with it. Other than experiencing a few more headaches, and a bit of tiredness, I was fine."

Liz.Pag (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "Worked after three does, but that is when the headache started. No relief from headache with Tylenol or Motrin. I'm going to ask dr. For different drug. Also seemed to get chapped lips, dry hands, and did get low blood sugar accompanied by sweating on third day on this medicine. UTI seems to be cured though."

Where's the john March 20, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "I have been on bactrim for the last 3 days and on the fourth pill and its done nothing for me"

Karen Willerbee February 3, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "I went to the Dr and was prescribed Bactrim for a urinary tract infection. I initially took it on a empty stomach which was a mistake. Taking it with food, even crackers, prevents nausea, and most other side effects. I am on my 3rd full day of taking it and I have no relief from my symptoms. I'm waiting for my culture to come back and will call my Dr for something else if necessary."

MLongRN (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "Knocked UTI symptoms out effectively after the first 24 hours. However, the side effects were not pleasant and were very noticeable: headache, nausea, dizziness, light-headed, weakness, sweating, dry mouth, excessive thirst, tiredness. I'm on day 3 and have asked the doc to switch me to something else so I can function better at home and work. Trying Cipro. Be sure to drink water constantly when on Bactrim DS."

sparriott (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "Was on cipro for a week but no relief so my doctor switched me to this drug. Felt relief within 72 hours. I had extreme nausea and a headache the first day I took this drug but then I started to take it with meals and I haven't had those side effects."

Anon22222 December 27, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "I was prescribed Bactrim DS for folliculitis. It did nothing except make me tired and gave me a yeast infection. Trying Keflex now and hoping for better results."

Netsirk (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "only took the medication for 5 days, had read about it online after being prescribed it and got really worried at all the awful side affects. I experienced nausea and headaches and slight itchiness while on it and was glad to finally get off of it. It is my 3rd day off of it and the itching has got worse and all over now. I only have a few tiny redish bumps though and I am experiencing anxiety on and off randomly and just feel weird and have also caught a cold (sore throat/cough). will never take this medication ever again and I severely advise against it."

e6 November 29, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "Im currently taking bactrim for a UTI. It relieved my symptoms rather quickly however the side effects are really bothering me. I've had the most painful migraines since taking it yesterday. I also have the chills and slight nausea. I wont take this medicine ever again once I finish it. The constant painful headaches are not worth it."

Hshhs November 24, 2015

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I was diagnosed with a MRSA Impetigo skin infection and was prescribed the Bactrim DS as well as Bactroban ointment, therefore I cannot know which helped the most, but it did work 95%. I stll have a pink area and the original cut that started this all is still slightly visible. This oral med made me feel horrible. Everyday, after the third day, I was nauseous about an hour after taking it and several times had to take Zofran 8mg which did help. My stomach was a roller coaster and the headaches were really bad. I have Daily Chronic Headache which is daily migraines. But I get C spine nerve ablations which allows me to be 90% migraine free for about 1 year. During the 10 days the migraines came back and with a vengence. Glad to be done."

Adopt_a_pet November 13, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "Having a horrible experience on Bactrim. This antibiotic should come with a warning label. Urinary symptoms have not been relieved yet (going on 3rd day). Experiencing severe nausea and diarrhea. Zofran helps somewhat. I don't know that I can continue this medication for 3 more days."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "I have been taking bactrim now for about a week n a half for a uti, and mrsa. I am sure it's workin because the kidney pain has subsided however the nausea is so crucial it's like the worst nausea I've ever had in my life. Not to mention headache and chills. Ugh I don't know if it's worth it"

flores1413 (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

For Kidney Infections "I started taking Bactrim 2 days ago for bladder infection and it is terrible because I feel like I have the flu... body aches, headache, nausea. ..I just called the doctor to tell her I'm not taking any more.. the bladder infection is nothing compared to the way this med made me feel!!! It seems like it has been cut with some sort if poison before it gets to the US!!! I just hope I regain strength bc I feel so weak from the pain my body has been through!!!"

nick1975 October 31, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "So, I wanted to review this drug because I've been on five antibiotic treatments within the last month and a half for the craziest UTI I've ever experienced in my life. Landed in the ER for fevers and pain and worst was the mental confusion.... Anyways, during this time I've been on IV antibiotics, Z pak as well as Keflex, which gave me horrible anxiety and extreme photo sensitivity. When I tried levaquin, it sent me to the ER. Then finally bactrim DS was prescribed. After taking it the first night I did have some trouble sleeping but after two doses of the medication I did adjust. I have been taking probiotics with these meds. It's helped overall. Side effects I noted vivid dreams, fatigue, and constipation were the main three."

Leahjaybee123 October 30, 2015

For Kidney Infections "Extreme headaches, stomach issues. Bathroom issues also"

Ladywest October 25, 2015

For Acne "Have had severe acne for a long time and worked very well to clear up acne entirely with a few months. Unfortunately as soon as I go off of it, the acne slowly comes back. Still works amazing while on it though."

DJ234 October 19, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "Had no negative side effects. Got rid of my UTI fast."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2015