User Reviews for Bactrim DS

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Bactrim DS.

Infection Prophylaxis

Prevention of Bladder infection

1 review 29 medications
Summary of Bactrim DS reviews 5.9 194 reviews

Reviews for Bactrim DS

For Bacterial Skin Infection "Absolutely the worst medication I've ever been on, and I've been on a lot. If an alternative is offered, take the alternative. Intense thirst, super awful anxiety (borderline paranoia), stomachaches and heartburn out the wazoo, night sweats, rash, dizziness, joint pain, loss of appetite were my symptoms (amongst others). Doc switched me to clindamycin. Not a single side effect! Symptoms gradually got better after dropping Bactrim."

Alex1234872 February 15, 2018

For Bacterial Skin Infection "Never ever again will I take this medication. Ended up in ER with what they said was Cellulitis. Gave me Bactrim and Keflex to take. After taking the Bactrim just after one day headaches started. On day 4 I woke up and could not move any of my body as every muscle, joint, neck and head was so sore and aching. Went straight to urgent care and they took me off the antibiotics. Still having severe pains all over and I'm hoping it's just because the medication is still in my system. Seriously do not take this. There are plenty more antibiotics to take than this and going through this also."

Anonymous February 10, 2018

For Kidney Infections "First time I took it I got a fever, chills and body aches. I called my doctor and requested a different antibiotic. Will never take Bactrim again!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I don't understand the bad reviews. I have been taking Bactrim since I was a kid, NEVER had a side effect and I had relieve RIGHT AWAY. UTI can cause nausea. Just take it with a lot of food & water and you be FINE!"

Uti- spooky January 25, 2018

For Kidney Infections "I always get digestive issues (severe nausea, diarrhea, gas, upset stomach) from antibiotics. I hadn't taken Bactrim before. For me the side effects have been very minimal. I eat a serving of carbs about 10 minutes before taking it (bread or pasta or a banana) and then drink a large glass of water with it, and have made sure to drink a lot of water generally. I'm also taking a probiotic midday. The side effects I've had are being more tired than usual, low appetite and a bit of a dull headache for a couple days. After the initial dose I had intense nausea but I had not eaten. I have one day remaining of the 7 days course. After one day on Bactrim my infection symptoms went away. I'll need a follow-up but so far, yay Bactrim!!"

Raj_1 January 2, 2018

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I was prescribed Bactrim DS 800mg for 10 days after I had an infected abscess on my outer labia. I had incision/drainage and tested negative for herpes simplex, CT+NG DNA, MRSA, and staph. I went 8 days and noticed minor hand shakiness, a sunburn like itch/sting on my neck and collarbone and some right ab pain but didn’t think much of it. Day 9 happen and I wake up with a minor but expanding rash on my chest, neck, torso arms and legs. I went to ER and they said Bactrim allergic reaction, prescribed methylprenisolone steroid, and Hydroxyzine. 48 hrs since last dose of Bactrim lips are still dry, cracked and woke up with minor flat blood blister on inside of bottom lip. Is this still affecting me??"

Scared with symptoms (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2017

For Bacterial Infection "I've never experienced any side effects from antibiotics. But this stuff is scary. I took my second dose today and after 2 hrs I started to feel light headed, my heart started racing and a strong headache came on top of it. It is getting better now after 14 hrs. I refuse to take it any longer and let my body do the job."

vchri December 28, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was having some pretty bad UTI symptoms, so I went to my local urgent care and they gave me Bactrim. Oh my goodness worst medication I’ve ever taken!! I took only one dose at the urgent care. Went home and later that night, I’d say maybe 3-4 hours in. I was so nauseous. I finally got myself to sleep, to only wake up and vomit my guts out many times. Then I wasn’t able to eat for hours. It’s been about 3 days now since I haven’t taken any medication. And my stomach is still in pain, having nausea, gagging, and not able to eat quite the same. Stay away from this drug. It’s not good. It’s very bad for your stomach. Save yourself."

Brittany18 (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "Horrible! I will tell you it does work for a UTI. My UTI is almost gone, but the side effects are terrible. I was doing fine with the medication the first day and now today is my second day.Currently, I am at work jittery, having chills, I had two panic attacks and today I just started having migraines. I am only on this for three days. I have two more pills left. Tried to make it but I don't think I can handle this while working. Not so much dizziness for me just making me really tired. I will be staying on Cephalexin."

NubianQueens December 14, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "Started on Bactrim for an UTI and after 4 doses, I ended up in the ER. The doctor had thought my appendix ruptured due to the extreme pain and projectile vomiting. It wasn't my appendix, it was the Bactrim. Now, I'm under the care of a gastroenterologist due to vomiting after eating, severe stomach pain, bloating and diarrhea....2 weeks later. She's afraid it's damaged my gallbladder, but I'm currently undergoing testing. I was not on any medication, and had no health problems previously. This whole situation is a nightmare. I don't understand how this medication is still on the market."

BCMS (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "Loved it! It did its job. On it for 10 days. This drug has been around a long time - Nurses use it all the time for "older" patients. You MUST take it properly with a disciplined regimen. 1) Take some multi-strain probiotics to add back in more good fighter bacteria. 2) Strains should include yeast to prevent yeast infection. 3) Flush (drown) your system with water - shoot for 12 8oz glasses a day. Add lemon to some of the water for kidney health. 4) Take psylliym fiber, prune juice when necessary. Your gut will be very unbalanced while the army of good and army of bad are fighting and you won't know how many "soldiers" you have on each side at any given time."

Zoe1018 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

For Prostatitis "Prescibed Bactrim for prostatitis. Was showing good improvement after 5 days. Day 9, big full body hives develop and had to stop. Dr. thought I was allergic to the sulfa component of bactrim so he prescibed Trimethoprim(the other component in Bactrim) by itself a week later. After 1 pill the hives start again... Was switched to Cipro with slight improvement and then to Doxycycline which is significantly helping after 4 weeks. Going to continue it as long as I'm improving . 70% better now."

richard Manford November 8, 2017

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "When I was 15 I learned that I was allergic to Bactrim. 11 years later the Doctor prescribed me with this medication stating that our allergies change. I was nervous to take this medicine, but I was so sick with an ear infection that I decided to give it a try. The worst experience in my life. I only took two pills one in the morning and one before bed. I was up from 12 Am- 6 Am non-stop puking. I could not hold anything down. At first I thought I had the flu as every bone in my body was in pain... After a few hours of sleep and not taking this Rx I then realized I am still extremely allergic to this medication. I would never want someone to go through what I went through. I have not taken this medication since yesterday and I have not puked."

KirstiePaige November 4, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "I strongly advise against taking this drug. Many people do not know that this drug has been banned in the UK due to the amount of people that died from it or contracted Steven Johnson Syndrome, which is characterized by your skin falling off. I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI. Clearly, there were a lot of other options to prescribe a small, 100 pound girl with a minor infection. However, the doctor chose this drug. I took 3 pills out of the 14 that I was given and I had such a severe migraine that I could not open my eyes or chew food. The pain eventually went into my neck and that is when I stated to panic - called doc and was told I had an allergic reaction and stopped taking it immediately."

DaniM October 18, 2017

For Sinusitis "This worked fine. I have no side effects. The people above seem to have an allergic reaction to this medication. Obviously stop taking it. You don't need a Dr to tell you that."

Paulnuts (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

For Bacterial Infection "Prescribed Bactrim after I got bit by a black widow spider. 36 hrs after the bite, my skin was red, swollen and a red streak was tracking up my arm towards my armpit. Given bactrim to prevent worsening cellulitis (further infection). No issues until I took a morning dose, 4th day, after only having coffee. Felt queasy and an hour later , had cramps, bowel motion. Thought I needed to eat. Ate half avocado and 15 mins later, vomited till stomach felt empty. Only took about 8 heaves but rested my gut for a few hours and kept down fish, egg and avocado. Next dose about 10:30pm and I'm eating first!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was scared to death to take this medication. I got the Bactrim on a Friday night and didn't have the courage to take it until Sunday night. The horror stories I read about it almost gave me panic attack just thinking about the what if's. Luckily I haven't had any side effects other than my lips burned a bit after the first dose and I was jittery. I am sure to eat a full meal before taking the dose."

Sarahearn22 (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "I had a bad UTI and I have taken this in the past and I am now taking it again. I get 4-7 days depending on doctor. It almost always clears it up. If you don't eat like I do then you can get nauseated if you take it on an empty stomach. The pill is huge so I chew it and use a spoon of yogurt and eat it down like that. I wish they made chewable versions or coated versions as it's hard to take but I do take it! The pill is a miracle worker and helps me greatly."

Misslilliana (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "Was prescribed two pills per day for seven days. I could already tell about 5 hours after I took my first dose that my UTI symptoms had improved. Not miraculously, but enough to give me some relief. I went and got some Azo too, but ended up not needing to take it because the Bactrim started to help pretty quickly. I've taken three doses now, and my symptoms are MUCH improved. I will of course continue the full course to make sure the infection is knocked out completely. I haven't really experienced any side effects at all. I think if you follow the instructions to a "T" you will have much fewer, if any, side effects. Take the pill with a meal and at least one full glass of water, then water all day long. It works!"

Pamela789 September 2, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "No health insurance. Went to the ER for UTI and was prescribed Bactrim. UTI symptoms quickly subsided (didn't disappear completely but like 90% better) so that was nice. Then the Bactrim symptoms started. Oh man. I had a different set of symptoms every day. First it was tingly hands and severe fatigue. Then I had a full blown panic attack (depression and anxiety can be made worse by Bactrim apparently so I tried to keep reminding myself of that). Last couple of days I've had headaches and bad nausea. I'm on day 6 of my 7 day course now-- gonna try my best to make it through the whole course but wowww it's tough. I just hope these symptoms clear up once my pills are gone. It got its job done but made me miserable in the process!"

Mega530 September 2, 2017

For Kidney Infections "The first two days were fine... I was diagnosed with a kidney infection and it seemed to work pretty well, despite a little nausea... Day 3 is when all hell broke loose. I started a new job and was running errands. I had left the house, took my medicine, grabbed a water bottle but didn't have time to eat what a mistake. 2 hours after taking Bactrim my head felt like it was going to implode. While I was driving on interstate 95 through northern VA I had a quick onset of nausea. There was no where for me to pull off. I ended up vomiting all over myself. By all over myself I mean all over myself and my car. It continued and has now been 24 hours. Went to ER for severe dehydration and am now spending the night at the hospital. Yay!"

Martha1992 August 30, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "I'm on my 4th day of the dosage. Since day one of taking it I started vomiting a couple hours of the dose. Been like that ever since, vomiting and diarrhea all day. Today I started eating yogurt after taking it on recommendation of the pharmacist. It has helped some and cut down the severely and frequency of the vomiting and diarrhea but hasn't eliminated it. Can't wait to reach day 7 to be done.. I called the doctor, only thing he said was I had to keep taking it or I'd be admitted to hospital. Screw that I'll deal with the stomach issues. Good luck to you if prescribed it and try the yogurt it helps. BTW, pepto will make you immediately puke if you try to take some while on bactrim. I dunno why, but from my personal experience it does, beware!"

Sick dude August 26, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "Got a pretty nasty UTI ... I've had them before so I knew the drill. Went to the Dr. The infection was confirmed. He prescribed Bactrim DS, twice a day for 7 days. I read the information provided by the pharmacist so I knew what to look for in case of a problem & took the first dose. I did have a few side effects, dizziness, mild nausea, and my blood sugar was off, but the infection felt better by the end of day 1. I can deal with mild side effects if it means fixing a larger problem. Pros & cons to everything! I would take it again if needed."

E.Oliver (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "This is my first time commenting on any medicine. Anyways I almost didn't even take this medicine because all of the bad reviews but thank God I did!!! Please don't let these negative comments stop you from taking this medicine. The ONLY side effect I currently have is a bit of nausea and that's only because I do not eat much as I am on a calorie restricted diet. Maybe these people are having bad reactions because of an allergy to sulfa drugs or it is just the symptoms of the really bad UTI . IDK....I'm on these pills and have 1 more day left and it has brought my kidney pain down tremendously. I usually react badly to antibiotics but not these so thumbs up!"

Yoyo90 (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

For Bacterial Infection "I am taking this for cellulitis. I have been on it for 5 days, and the swelling has gone down significantly, but the side effects are really crappy. I feel achey, hot, and I have a headache, and my joints hurt, but I'm not sure if this is also from having Lyme Disease in the past."

Lysh Lysh July 20, 2017