User Reviews for Bactrim DS

Learn more about Bactrim DS.

Infection Prophylaxis 2 reviews 24 medications

4.5
Prevention of Bladder infection 1 reviews 29 medications

Summary of Bactrim DS reviews 166 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Bactrim DS

For Bacterial Infection "My 83-yr old father took only five (5) pills over the course of a few days and ended up in the hospital in acute renal failure and 103 degree fever. This man was not on any medications prior to taking Bactrim DS and was still working. His kidney functions have not returned to normal, his blood platelets are critically low, his blood pressure is now elevated, as well as his blood glucose. His whole life has changed for the worse all because of five (5) Bactrim pills. I just hope he's on the road to recovery."

Sherry L (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I was prescribed Bactrim twice a day for 10 days. The first day was ok by 2nd day I had a bad case of nausea and itchy. 3rd day nausea, fatigue, flu like symptoms and feeling cold along with insomnia. I stopped taking it and gradually I'm feeling myself. I continued keflex until the infection healed. I won't take it again. It's not worth the misery in my opinion."

Kaino (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "The first day, I experienced some nausea. Now? I have a sore in my mouth that popped up out of nowhere and one side of my bottom lip is swollen. I'm so sick that I can't eat anything and have zero appetite. I keep getting the shakes and chills that weren't there before starting it. I suffer from anxiety and anxiety is a common side effect with this medication - so now my anxiety is through the roof and it's also caused severe insomnia. I'm constipated, have terrible muscle spasms and cramps in my legs. I've never had an issue with a sulfa drug before but after this I will definitely not take one ever again. It's not worth the side effects/allergic reaction"

Lauren B., Georgia (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "I was prescribed this medicine for a upper respiratory infection and sinus infection. The first day it helped me sleep taking the two pills. My third day I was feeling a lot better able to get out of bed felt like everything was going away. Later in the night on my third day I started having chest pains, peeing a lot, and extremely tired. My forth day I was having more chest pain and my brain felt cloudy. I'm on my fifth day and I don't know if I'm going to continue it . Started getting short of breath , and light headed. Starting to feel how I was feeling before I started the medicine. I wouldn't recommend at all."

Annax June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis "this drug is EVIL!!!! stay away from it."

mar0721 (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis "I recently took Bactrim for a sinus infection. My first day of taking the bactrim. I got nervous and my hands started to itch I couldn't sit still. I broke out in a red rash on shoulder and left hand and my feet is red and both sides. But I had previously took bactrim before over the years with no problems. And this time I was shocked because I had taken it before. So I went to the Urgent Care and they told me not to take it any more. So I am throwing the cheap in the trash. And I just hope that my sinus will heal on its own."

Cine (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis "It did help the sinusitis. The side effects were awful. Yeast infection that took 6 pills of diflucan to get rid of. I had blisters.. most about 2" to 3" in circumference on my legs thighs and back. It took a while for them to heal too. My joints ached. Definitely on my never to take again list."

ZeeGee June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I had a UTI finished an entire prescription of macrobid. I noticed as soon as I finished the meds my UTI symptoms came back - so it didn't work for m. I then tried bactrim. The pain went away after 1.5 days of being on bactrim which was a huge relief but it is now day 4 and I am suffering from nausea, cold sweats, chills, insomnia and anxiety. It works for your UTI but the side effects are unbearable after a few days."

Lu1111 May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Had a severe UTI that wouldn't clear up on it's own so I had a doctor that called in Bactrim. Within 15 minutes of taking it I had severe flu-like symptoms. It is now 3 years later ... I can only eat about 10 different foods due to intolerances and severe allergies to most anything. I cannot tolerate chemicals or outside allergens either. I basically live in a bubble- of pain, fatigue and misery. When people ask what happened to me, all I can say is, I don't know, I took Bactrim and it ruined my immune system. Did the Bactrim clear up the infection? Yep... sure did."

VindictiveKes May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Bactrum did help my infection pretty quickly. HOWEVER, it is one month since I took the last dose and I still have major insomnia. Some nights I don't sleep at all others just a few hours . I would never take this drug again, ever!!!"

Sunset123 May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I was put on Bactrim DS twice a day for about 6 weeks. This was after being on doxycycline for about 4 months with disappointing results. My acne was cystic and mainly distributed across my back, neck, shoulders, and chest. This outbreak of acne started some time after I stopped hormonal oral BC and switched to Paragard. It also coincided with the start of treatment with lithium for bipolar disorder. The latter can exacerbate acne in those that are susceptible. Despite quitting it, the disaster continued. My derm put me on Bactrim DS twice a day for 6 weeks and to my amazement - this finally did the trick. My skin completely cleared! Highly recommended. No side effects but I took a probiotic with it. My skin has stayed mostly clear since."

sushi2701 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I was prescribed this for a Staph infection of the Skin. The first few days I was very fatigued and had mild neck pain then on Day 7 of 10 that it was prescribed for I started breaking out in a rash on one thigh and then it spread throughout the day and was on my chest and arms by the night. I was also freezing! I took 2 benadryl that night then woke up the next morning and the rash all over from my neck all the way down to my ankles, front and back and was cold all day! I went to urgent care and ended up getting a steroid injection at urgent care then had to take a high dose Prednisone for 3 days after that. After Steroids were started I noticed that the joint pain went away and I also was swelled from the rash."

HEE (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Prostate UTI asked not to be given Cipro as it can cause permanent tendon damage if you are doing repetitive movements. See CBC news article. They gave bactrim. It's a poor substitute. Dizzy, tired, dry eyes, damn slow working. On day 4 of 7 not much better. Cipro is the one of choice for prostate in my experience to work well but it has it's side effects too."

Marduk (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I don't know what is it with all these users reporting ineffectiveness or side effects. Maybe mostly people who have complaints are the ones who take the trouble to write reviews. I had a UTI, and a few hours after taking the first pill of Bactrim my symptoms started to clear. On my third pill now and no side effects and starting to feel better than I have in weeks."

DABbio (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection "I have been taking Bactrim for a total of 3 days. I have awful headaches, the shakes, spiky fevers, tightness in my chest, and can barely keep my eyes open from exhaustion. I have 7 days left of treatment and I'm not sure I'm going to finish it. I feel worse with the medication than I did with the infection. Granted, it has reduced swelling and pain at infection site. So I guess it's doing one thing right."

S Smith April 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I'm on my fourth 800/160 pill of bactrim treating MRSA infection which has also caused my lymph nodes behind knee and groin to swell and hurt. I initially took doxycycline for about 4 days with worsening infection. Bactrim worked day 1. The infection started to clear and lymph swelling and pain is going away. Unfortunately I had severe anxiety including shaking tightness in chest very dizzy and feelings of doom. It's possible this was brought on by me overreacting to a slight side effect but this is a very strong antibiotic. It works but you might have to suffer through it. Not fun"

Mr. Dean (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis "I was recently prescribed Bactrim DS for my chronic sinusitis by my ENT. I informed her that I had been prescribed Bactrim in the past, although I did not inform her that it was lesser strength of the two and after eight and a half days of taking two a day I finally had to stop due to the side effects that were occurring. I took the first dosage and felt fatigued and slightly itchy. I reminded myself tho that when I am overtired and restless that I tend to feel itchy so I took a shower and and slept for a while and I was fine. The following few days I had no problems besides light bloating and fatigue. I kept taking my medication as prescribed and after the fifth day I was having radiating pain around the left and right side of my sternum"

jpxj86 (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Prescribed generic Bactrim DS, 2x/day for 3 days. Just took my last dose and minimal side effects. I always ate a big substantial meal before taking this medication even though I had loss of appetite (ate food that had tons of starch). Also, drank tons of water after and throughout the day. I was constantly peeing but at least I knew I was drinking enough. Had minor upset stomach and fatigue but still very functional esp when the pain from UTI was gone. Took a day and half to feel relief."

Urmoot (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was given Bactrim for a UTI in November 2016. On day 2 my entire lower half of my body became numb. And I mean all of it including the female parts. I was convinced I had MS, Lou Gehrig disease, or even piraformis nerve entrapment. I looked them all up and never in a million years thought it was related to the antibiotic, never even crossed my mind. Nothing made sense that was happening to me. I had to hold onto walls to walk and the nerve and numbness pain was unbelievable. I had no insurance so really never got checked out. When my mom randomly said her friend had a terrible reaction to this drug I started reading. I put it all together and all of my symptoms are because of this. It is now February and I have 80% of feeling back. But still not in female area or left foot but am hopeful I will continue to improve but takes a LONG time. This is the worst experience I have ever gone thru in my life. And, I HAD taken this drug before so you never know."

SusanBecameParalysis (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I would not recommend this to ANYONE. I have had bleeding in my urine for over two weeks and the doctors associated it with a UTI. After being given macrobid, and symptoms persisting they gave me septa. I took it for two days twice a day with food was fine, on the third day not so much. I began shaking uncontrollably, dry mouth, I was incoherent to the point I couldn't even understand what people were saying to me, heart was racing, I was dizzy, and extremely nauseous. It literally felt like I had been roofied (drugged up) . I don't even remember half the night and I had horrible insomnia. I don't even understand how this is on the market. Would never EVER take this again."

Confused and dazed February 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I have been taking Bactrim DS for an infection in my toe from a pedicure. It's been 4 days of not feeling human. I'm terribly exhausted. It feels like trying to stay awake after taking NyQuil. After day 2 I started getting bad headaches. I'm only on it for seven days so I'm going to suffer through it but the side effects are almost unbearable."

Terrible Side Effects (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Skin Infection "This is my second time taking this medication, both times it was prescribed for a alleged spider bite. The first time I took it I stopped before finishing because the side effects were terrible. I experienced headache, dizziness, flu symptoms and flushing. The second time I took it had the same experience so I drank 2 liters of water and symptoms subsided tremendously. This a double antibiotic so it is imperative that you drink a very large amount of water when taking it otherwise the medication is concentrated in your system and the side affects will be unbearable."

GeaneaNicole January 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Prevention of Bladder infection "I was having symptoms of a UTI for a few weeks, so I finally went to the ER when the pain got worse, they gave me Bactrim. 2 days after taking it (twice a day) I got flu symptoms/ a cold. Today is my 5th day on it and I feel awful, shortness of breath, so so tired and I feel so nauseous. And I'm still having pain when I use the bathroom so I don't even think Its working. Going to call the doctor tomorrow, I won't be continuing this medicine."

Anonymous December 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed Bactrim DS for a severe UTI and 7 day twice a day schedule. On the second day of dosage, I began having Flu-like symptoms such as dizzy spells, nausea, aches, weakness, and I felt so sick, I thought I was going to die. I felt worse each day and by the 6th day of dosage, I had to return to my doctor. He said I must have had a severe allergy to this medicine. He gave me a shot of antibiotics and prescription of 500 MG Amoxicillin. I am finally feeling better. The Bactrim did not work on me. They put a note in my chart to not prescribe Bactrim to me again. I think that some people have allergies to this, I know I do. Hope my story helps you."

Annie the techie December 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I have taken this medicine off and on many times, works wonders, I always have refills if it comes back! It's definitely my go to!"

Rigley December 15, 2016