User Reviews for Senokot to treat Constipation

Senokot has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 109 ratings for the treatment of Constipation. 39% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Senokot Rating Summary

5.6/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Senokot

Bunny October 2, 2020

“DO NOT TAKE Senokot!! I took two pills last night at around 11pm. This morning I woke up and had a decent bowel movement, but around 11am I was struck with EXTREME abdominal cramps. They were/are so bad that I couldn’t breathe or talk, I could barely even scream (I have a very good pain tolerance when it comes to things like this). Please for the love of god use some miralax, Dulcolax, magnesium citrate, any thing but this. I will never take Senokot ever again, the only redeeming factor was I was able to go to the bathroom but I’d 100% rather be constipated. It’s currently 3pm and the extreme pain is still on and off.”

User October 18, 2019

“The amount of negative reviews on senokot on here is shocking. I had constipation for the 1st time. 5 days, nothing helped. So I got Senokot, I read the reviews and it scared me, but I needed to get some relief, so I took 1 pill. I felt a bit funny that night and I woke up several times at but nothing bad. I think it was just the paranoia. I woke up in the morning and nothing, no pain but also no poo. Finally, after breakfast, a big poo came (12h after taking the pill). And another one. I felt a bit weird and a bit uncomfortable in my stomach for about 2 hours, but nothing terrible, no cramps, no diarrhoea. For the rest of the day I felt okay, ate normally, had coffee, no problems. Luckily I did not need to take it again. Overall, the drug worked well for me (I also ate a lot of high fibre foods that day, so maybe that helped) Everyone is different but please don't get scared off by the terrible reviews, I think those are extreme cases.”

Blonde · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2020

“Due to other medical issues, I have been dealing with long term constipation and can sometimes go a week without a bowel movement. I have tried several medications and have sound senokot to be the most gentle. My experience is fairly care free. I take the maximum dose and have not experienced any nausea. I have had some random pains but they never last long, and find myself passing gas after taking a dosage. The end product is successful. Make sure to drink lots of fluids with and after your dose. It makes a huge difference! Also, for comparison, a while ago I tried dulcolax and it was a nightmare. I felt so nauseated and actually vomited. Groaned and convulsed in pain for hours. Senokot, did not give me any problems! This just proves everyone’s body reacts differently to products.”

Berylstafford · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2021

“I had a terrible experience with this drug. The worst stomach cramps I’ve ever had. Chills and nausea too. 15 hours later I feel wiped out and doubled over in pain still. My legs and calves cramped also all night and are still cramping. I would never take this again and I urge caution before taking this.”

Nama · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2019

“I am so shocked by the bad reviews of Senokot. I am not constipated often but it is the best thing I have ever tried when I am. My doctor recommended Dulcolax when I had a problem once and never again. The pain I had was like having another baby. I use Senekot because it is so gentle with no side effects or cramping. Just a gentle normal bowel movement the next day. I even brought it to my mom in the Nursing home after she had a hysterectomy and was in awful pain mostly from constipation. Nothing they did for her helped. Just caused more cramping. Several hours after the Senekot she was able to have a normal bowl movement and no more pain or constipation. This was a God sent for her.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2021

“I used this one time in February following a bout of awful constipation that came out of nowhere. I took the recommended dosage and waited. However over night I started to feel nauseous, this feeling intensified as the night went on until I was actually being sick. Everything and anything I ate or drank (including water) came back up. I had to go to hospital and I was given morphine and cyclizine (anti sickness) to help with the projectile vomiting and nausea. I had to stay in hospital for a month after using this. Horrible experience and it didn’t relieve my constipation at all. The minute I was discharged I threw the whole packet in the bin! If I could give 0 stars I would.”

Cheychey February 16, 2021

“I was a bit hesitant to use this product after seeing some of the reviews but I went ahead and I have to say this product is for me. I’ve always had an issue with bowel movement and have, for years, taken a more natural product. That product, unfortunately, is no longer available. I panicked and tried several other methods and nothing worked. Then I tried Senokot. I took 2 tablets and within 6 hours I had a gentle bowel movement. It actually keeps me going for 2 days so I take it every other day. I was so pleased since my intestines are sensitive to everything! I will discuss this with my doctor, and see what they have to say, since this is for occasional constipation and I would like to take it long term.”

Greenpolly · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2021

“Well, Senokot certainly work but I wouldn’t take again. The only advice in hindsight is that if you are small, I’m female and 8.5 stone/120 lbs take half a tablet as my husband is 12.5 stone / 175 lbs and it’s still one tablet for him on the directions. I hadn’t been for a couple of days, they were in the medicine cupboard so I took one tablet before bed on a Friday night having never taken a laxative before. At the witching hour of 3am I only just made it to the loo in time. I thought I I was hooked up to a hose. I don’t know about emptying your bowels....I thought my bowels would be following on out, closely followed by my intestines and any other vital organ that got in the way. And there I sat for 4 hours. When it felt safe to leave the bowl I lay on the bed like a shrivelled prune for another 4 hours, feeling dreadful and nauseous. Be warned! 100% effective but with side effects.”

Anonymous April 25, 2020

“I have IBS and sometimes take usually only half a tablet before before to sleep. I have mixed results generally but last night I had a similar experience to some others I’ve seen on here, in that I woke up a couple of hours after taking the tablet, feeling unwell with cramps, then I got the cold sweats and dizziness and I crawled to the bathroom and retched and vomited. No bowel movement just cramps. I went back to bed and still felt pretty sick and was shivering. I even dozed off fitfully a few times but when I woke up properly, the nausea and cramps had passed and I had a very volumous bowel movement an hour after getting up. The medicine generally works for me but you have to be prepared for very unpleasant side effects in getting there.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2021

“I took this once awhile ago and it was great, no pain and relief. Because I had a good experience the next time I was constipated I was relieved to know I could take one...VERY different expertise second time around. The extreme pain and cramping started about 16 hours after taking, I've had 4 children and the cramps felt like labor pains, I has nausea and weakness. Almost 24 hours later my stomach is bloated, I'm exhausted and while I've gone to the bathroom I have not had a good bowel movement yet. I will never take again.”

Sychrade · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2019

“Hello, I took Senokot at about 10:00pm at night and was fine, at about 12:00am holy crap all hell broke loose!! Tummy muscle spasms, painful stomach pains, gas pains, light headed, dizziness, extreme sweating, increased anxiety ,trouble breathing, chest tightness, chest pains...BUT NO BOWEL MOVEMENT!! it is now 1:15am and I am still having these side effects feeling like I'm going to die or something. I am literally staying up all night because of this poison! I'm so scared right now and no way am I going to the hospital because hospitals suck where I live. Can't tell if I'm dying or having a severe allergic reaction. Help! I'm never taking these again!!”

R · Taken for less than 1 month August 28, 2020

“I was having constipation problems for a week and my doctor told me to get Senekot-S. I took 2 before bedtime around 11pm and then at 8am when I woke up I had diarrhea. He told me it would be normal, but for the next 3 hours I kept going back to the bathroom with diarrhea. I write this with severe cramping, nausea and dizziness still. I’ve never taken a laxative in my life so maybe my stomach can’t handle them. I feel so nauseous and weak I’m never taking this again. I will say that it worked as the whole week I couldn’t go to the bathroom and I felt full, but today it felt clear although I’m not sure how worth it it was with these side effects.”

Bird · Taken for less than 1 month October 15, 2020

“I was constipated for 4 going on 5 days. I have never taken a laxative before and figured going herbal was the best way. I took two extra strength Senokot pills before bed, woke up around 6am with intense cramps. Had terrible cramps for hours until I finally made a BM around 11am. I realized taking two extra strength might of been too much - I just wanted it to get the job done. It did, but I still had stomach discomfort at 4:30pm. Somewhat annoyed at the side effects but it worked.”

Tan · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2019

“Oh my goodness took this medication thinking it would help me It worked the littlest bit still can’t really go But the side effects Cold , shivering, breaking out in sweats , severe stomach pain , dizzy, lightheaded, basically passed out thought I was going to die. It is 2 days since I took it and I still feel awful Will never ever take again”

Misty · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 27, 2020

“I have chronic constipation due to daily medications. I use the senokot.-S. I take the higher dosage once a week and follow up the next day with 2 in the morning and 2 at night. It gently works for me, no cramps no pain, just relief. I may have additional bm for three days after the dosing but that is what I want. Check with your doctor about what is best for you.”

tb April 11, 2021

“I’m going to be as honest as possible here, yesterday I was extremely constipated and I couldn’t go to the washroom for the past few days, my brother has IBS and recommend senokot to me, he loves it. I took it at bedtime as recommended, took 2, and this morning I am suffering from extreme abdominal cramping, I’m nauseous and I have chills. I didn’t even get it all out! I literally feels like I have the flu after taking this, I cannot even get through my day. It worked for my brother, he likes it, but I will never take this again, I’ll stick to durolax or metamucil for now.”

BAT · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2021

“Horrifying. Like another said, I'm a mom as well, and the pain from this drug was the worse than labor pain- couldn't agree more. I also had, the nausea, sweating then chills, and am suffering from PTSD from it. For 2 hours I was screaming the pain was so bad, the thought of riding in an ambulance with a morphine drip was what kept me alive. I'm considering a lawsuit. I did survive (obviously), but next day, I had pains all over my stomach area like I did 1000 crunches, and its mostly my stomach more then my intestines.”

DO NOT TAKE · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2018

“DO NOT USE. SEVERE stomach pain, cold sweats, light headedness. My stomach started gurgling about an hour after taking 2 tablets followed by bowel movements. But the INTENSE ABDOMINAL PAIN kept me awake all night. I thought something else might have been really wrong, but after reading many other Senokot reviews I realize I’m not the only one suffering from the consequences of putting this in my body. DO NOT TAKE!”

Kitty · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 28, 2020

“if you take Senokot make sure you DON'T have any plans the next day, about 12-24 hours after every time I take this I get major cramps which really sucks. I only use these if I haven't had a bowel motion for about a week because the cramps are just that bad. I'm currently hiding in the basement because there's guests over and it just kicked in after 19 h :(. it DOES relieve constipation though”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 24, 2020

“I tried Senokot for the first time (2 tablets), without knowing what the possible side effects were. I started experiencing some serious stomach pains, nausea and, dizziness, about 8 hours after taking it. I thought something was seriously wrong with me but, after finally going to the bathroom, the pain went away completely about an hour later. Although the side effects were really awful for me, it did work.”

Jen January 25, 2020

“Went to hospital for back pain where they gave me a ton of meds that binded me up and I was afraid to get fecal impaction so I took 2 tabs if Senna and holy moly I have been in severe pain for like 4 hrs......never again. I went poo and now have tremors in tummy and feeling sick to boot with pain.”

Amad · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 17, 2019

“I suffer from constipation due to medication I take. I am prone to getting hemorrhoids. So it hurts when I have a bowel movement. This helps soften and pass my stools and doesn't irritate my hemorrhoids.”

At first glance... April 10, 2010

“My doctor had prescribed Senokot 8.6mg tablets, 1x twice daily as needed to help compensate for my constipation that is commonly caused by narcotic pain relievers, such as Morphine, Methadone, oxycodone. At first it was great. I had no discoloration, no bloating, it was comfortable and gentle, almost as if it were natural. However, after about 3 months my bowels did start to become lazy and my Doctor had to give me something else in which to alternate off and on with. If while on this you notice the time between movements has increased to the point where you are "certain" it has, TELL YOUR DOCTOR! You'll just hurt yourself more the longer you wait.”

Hoorah August 27, 2019

“I took this medication for my first ever episode of prolonged constipation in my life, around 4 days. I am not a regular user of any drug like this, or in fact any medication. It was the only medication of this sort in our cabinet so I thought why not. I took one tablet at around 2145 and by 0945 the next day I was able to open my bowels successfully. I did experience some mild cramping and gas at first but it seems to have done its job. I would suggest, purely on the basis of my own experience, that you start with a low dosage and work upwards! In addition, drink plenty of water and eat lots of fibre! Don’t let the medication do all the work, give it some help by being hydrated and eating plenty of fibre.”

MadeABadChoice · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2017

“Please do not take this medicine. Oh my goodness I can't express enough what this put me through past 2 days. I took yesterday at 7am was fine all day till after dinner at 6:30. Then I felt major gas like pains that took me to my knees. The pain had me sounding like a dying moose. Then came the nausea and vomiting felt like the worst food poisoning ever. I was so hot and sweating like crazy then literally freezing. The urgency to vomit and poo made me loose total control of my bladder . I was so weak from the torturing pain I could hardly speak or move. I wanted to lay down in fetal position not moving to prevent the pain to come back. During all this I felt delirious & my heart was pounding the whole time through out the night. DONT USE!”