User Reviews for Senokot

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Senokot.

Senokot Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 199 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Senokot to treat Constipation

"Omg awful tablets! made me cramp at 2am which woke me up and then the drama started. Drink water and try a more natural approach! ..No way I could take this daily! its not a nice feeling! and tad nauseated."

ConniePated (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Senokot is an unpredictable laxative. I take pain pills for chronic pain. For years I took Magnesium Oxide which worked like a charm. However, I had to keep adjusting the dose & it finally stopped working altogether. After trying other laxatives unsuccessfully, I tried Senokot. Began with 2 pills: nothing. 3 pills: nothing. I finally took 4 pills & next day excruciating cramps & went 4 times. Stools were not soft &I had to strain despite taking stool softness (these have never worked alone but read that taken with Senokot helped). At my wits end because nothing aside from enemas work. I eat prunes, plenty of fruit, dried figs & tons of vegetables. I can't take the cramping side effect which I never had with Magnesium Oxide."

Chronica (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ok, I'm gonna give you advise if you have never taken this medicine before, make sure you have the next day off. Don't try to take this med before bed, thinking you'll have one go at the toilet and your ready to go. Second I would try changing your diet, an enema or even miralax before considering this med. I was having stomach pain and had an xray of my stomach and my Dr showed me how stopped up I was, it's amazing how much the body can hold. Anyway I say all this because it does clean u out but yes your cramps are close to something like food poisoning cramps, because it's forcing ur body to do something it can't effectively do on its own. I hope this helps."

Needs to poop October 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have constipation regularly. Milk of magnesia give me terrible cramps and makes me have nausea. Usually no BM. Miralax takes 3 days to work on me. Biscodyl tablets react the same as Milk of magnesia except with horrible gas. Senna, I have normal cramping before a BM, usually takes 8 hours to work. Very pleased."

Caroli..562 October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After spending 2 hrs reading the reviews for Senokot.... I was deathly afraid to take them. I finally caved and I took 2 at 12:30 am. I felt nothing except a few minor rumbles the next afternoon. Finally about 6:30 pm I started getting cramps. Yes they hurt a little. But when you spend half your life constipated, a little pain is nothing if a good BM follows.... and it did. By 7pm I was in the bathroom. Took a few minutes but it worked well and felt about 5lbs lighter. Went once again about 15 minutes later. Loose stool. And that was it!! So, while for some this med obviously causes them great pain or just doesn't work at all - I was all for it. Chronic constipation is awful so it was worth it to me. Don't let the reviews scare you. "

MsHenson September 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took 2 tabs in AM and 2 in pm for a bowel motion in the AM, horrible stomach cramps, not worth it just use milk of Magnesia no cramps and with right dose bowel movement in 2-3 hours and no cramps just drink hot liquids for a couple of hours !"

Burris1 (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had leg surgery last week and the morphine from the pain relief gave me rather severe constipation - it was the worst feeling, I was sore sitting down that I was crying and depressed. I tried prunes and fybogel - but no movement. I couldn't bear it. I took 2 senokot 2 nights ago before bed - nothing. I took another 2 after 12 hours. About 2 hours later. I had a rather painful hard bowel movement, a couple of hours later I had crippling stomach cramps - which led to a further 2 bowel movements, each getting softer (but no diarrhoea). I had another before bed that night - back to my normal consistency, then another on waking this morning. I am delighted. Was it a pleasant experience? No. Would I do it again? Albsolutely!"

Susie36 September 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Please do not take this medicine. Oh my goodness I can't express enough what this put me through past 2 days. I took yesterday at 7am was fine all day till after dinner at 6:30. Then I felt major gas like pains that took me to my knees. The pain had me sounding like a dying moose. Then came the nausea and vomiting felt like the worst food poisoning ever. I was so hot and sweating like crazy then literally freezing. The urgency to vomit and poo made me loose total control of my bladder . I was so weak from the torturing pain I could hardly speak or move. I wanted to lay down in fetal position not moving to prevent the pain to come back. During all this I felt delirious & my heart was pounding the whole time through out the night. DONT USE!"

MadeABadChoice (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have IBS & on strong meds for ongoing pains elsewhere. I get bunged up quite a lot & have been again more so than usual for a few days. I took my pain relief meds as usual all day Monday, tried to go to the loo again on Monday night but couldn't & I was doubled over in constipation pain, so I took 2 Senokot. All day Tuesday I was asleep on & off. Couldn't eat or drink a thing and felt very sick with stomach pains, couldn't even talk properly. In the evening I drank some water but each sip went through me, it was like a laxative! Today (Wednesday),I still feel very sick and every little thing I've tried to eat or drink goes through me. I'm also getting a migraine and although I feel better than yesterday, I still feel ill.Rather be bunged up!"

I feel so ill :-( (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Helps relieve constipation but gave me the worst stomach pains ever! to the point where I was bent over and couldn't stand back up. Wouldn't take them again"

Lzo (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took one the first night, got cramps and diarrhea, ate half the next night was ok, half the third and nothing. Took one the next got cramps and diarrhea. Took 3/4 th of a tab for two nights straight, nothing, nothing. Took 1 the next night STILL nothing."

Just to help (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Nothing ! Used for three days and took more than recommended two ! When u have constipation u want some immediate effect in at least in 8 hours - as this one suggests to work ! Rubbish !"

Nethtyuvh January 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Oh holy god, I have very mixed feelings about this senokot, it is effective at getting things moving, took it four days in a row and on the fourth day, I now have the most horrific stomach cramps ever, the worst I've ever had by far and I keep having to go over and over again, I've already gone three times today and as I write this, I feel the urgency again, I will not be taking these again that's for sure, they do work but these cramps (which I see others have reported too) are really really not worth the bother."

Anonymity32 January 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Constipated since Christmas day 2016 now Jan 10th 2017. Went a little every couple of days nothing to write home about. Took one senokot last night at 9pm. 7:30am next morning had some rumblings a little cramp then went as normal. Felt a little nausea and a bit of tummy ache for 30 mins then ok. Thank goodess."

Jorel January 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lose the commercial where the old guy mispronounces senokot and says senoKOOT..need a new advertising team!!! Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!!!"

Anonymous November 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took two at 8pm and then the next morning....nothing at all happened,just a few stomach grumbles. I think I may have to increase the dosage today as it didn't work. I've had laxatives that work in 8 hours,really quick and really affective with 1/2 pills. However this one you need to slowly build up intake of tablets everyday -.- which is a bother."

MilkDuds (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well. I took 4 tablets as directed before I went to bed. After around 12 hours, the tablets allowed me to use the bathroom as soon I awoke in the afternoon. Insane diarrhea though, but I'm glad that it helped my constipation."

Courtney3619460 August 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took two one day then 2 more 36 hours later. Did not help much with my constipation. Also very bad leg cramp during the night. Also cramp in my left arm which went down to my fingertips. I have not experienced such painful cramp before so will not take these tablets again."

littlepeaches (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took two before bed after being advised to by my doctor, woke up feeling the same. After a few hours needed to go but nothing came out, went to work and felt my stomach churning and groaning. Got home had my dinner and now diorhea. But not explosive or terrible ! A tiny belly ache but nothing bad. At least everything's moving !"

Hwkb (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Used twice so far had rather fast relieve within an hr or 2, was up and down the toilet a few time but would rather have it out than in."

emma p June 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Traveling abroad and had three days of constipation. Normally I'm a daily guy. Thought my system was holding onto something bad I ate so I decided it needed a little help expelling big bad toxins. Senokot did just that and more! I took one dose at 9pm. By 3am I was on the pot with explosive diarrhea. It's 630am and I'm back on the pot writing this warning for others to heed. I have to travel at 9am. I hope this ends soon as taking Imodium is not idea either. I probably should have drank prune juice instead."

Explosive Diarrhea (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First time it was smooth going.. second time, severe stomach cramps for 2 days, near tears, would run to bathroom and nothing..worse than the flu, lightheaded, pale face, coldsweat like I was going to pass out, and I'm home alone with a 2 yr old!!"

shellboo (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took only one tablet (directions said to take 2) at 9pm after being constipated and miserable for a week. Two hours later I was doubled over with the most agonizingly painful stomach cramps I have ever experienced. Was on the toilet for 3 hours without any bowel movement, literally screaming from the pain. I honestly thought I was going to have to call 911. Finally had explosive diarrhea for the next hour. Slept on the bathroom floor and had intermittent diarrhea all night. I would rather be constipated for a month than go through that again. Second worst pain I've ever experienced (first worst was a second degree sunburn on my feet and legs)."

NoNoNoNoNo September 21, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a bit of constipation and it was getting uncomfortable so I decided to take 2 senekot. I probably should not have taken 2 as the next day I couldn't keep off the toilet and by the second day I had to take imodium which is the opposite because I kept having diarrhoea and it seems to be making feel really light headed. I drank lots of water. It definitely relieves constipation but way too much!! So if you are severely constipated it's worth a go."

SarahMannion92 (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffered constipation for the past three days because of traveling. I tried a bunch of home remedies but nothing seemed to work, and I felt extremely uncomfortable with stomach pain as well. So, I went to the nearest pharmacist and they gave me Senokot. They told me to take two Senokot tablets straight away, so I took two at 3:00 P.M. As I waited I still felt very uncomfortable. At about 10:00 P.M my stomach started to make some noises, so I assumed that the laxatives were finally kicking in. At around 12 I went to the bathroom, and finally I was able to get some bowel movement! I still had to push and all, but it did come out eventually and I was extremely happy as I felt fresh afterwards. No pain at all!"

charlotte1234 (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2014