User Reviews for Senna to treat Constipation

Also known as: Senokot, Senna Lax, Ex-Lax, Agoral, Correctol Herbal Tea Laxative, Fletchers Castoria, Swiss Kriss, Gentlax, Ex-Lax Gentle Nature Dosaflex Dr Caldwell Laxative Innerclean Ex-Lax Chocolated Black Draught SenoSol SenoSol-X …show all brand names

Senna has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 198 ratings for the treatment of Constipation. 39% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 40% reported a negative effect.

Senna Rating Summary

5.5/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Senna

DayleA July 19, 2021

Senokot (senna): “I actually would recommend this product when you feel uncomfortably bloated. I took/take one tablet at night if I feel the need with a mixed herbal tea. The next morning you do need a bowel movement and you do get some cramping but if you don’t take more than you need it’s bearable and relieving. Heed the warnings though if you think you might not tolerate this or you’re tempted to take more than you should - DON’T. You will be on the loo on and off with severe stomach cramping for hours and hours. I took 2 one night and I could barely walk around town the next day I was in so much pain with my stomach and feeling sick. Can have really horrible side effects but if it’s needed it’s needed.”

Nobody234 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 4, 2021

“Some of the experiences on here must be the extreme. I have used senna throughout the years and don't always find it does anything let alone make me sick/dizzy/crampy. I purchased max strength (max one tab in 24hrs) yesterday and took some last night. Nothing really happened at all until 11pm this evening. I passed a bit but no where near the 5 days I haven't been able to go. I did have some cramps when actually going but that's fairly normal for me with my IBS.”

Nick_Marx · Taken for less than 1 month June 26, 2021

“This drug worked *incredibly* well for my constipation. Within 24 hours of taking it I had basically cleared out my whole digestive system. The problem is it works *too well*. I had bad diarrhea and severe cramps for hours once it kicked in. 1 pill (half a dose) of Senna had me doubled over in pain and sprinting for the toilet for the better part of an afternoon. I'd much rather wait a bit longer for something like MiraLax to work, since that is always gentle and never causes any issues for me. Do not recommend.”

Bunny October 2, 2020

Senokot (senna): “DO NOT TAKE Senokot!! I took two pills last night at around 11pm. This morning I woke up and had a decent bowel movement, but around 11am I was struck with EXTREME abdominal cramps. They were/are so bad that I couldn’t breathe or talk, I could barely even scream (I have a very good pain tolerance when it comes to things like this). Please for the love of god use some miralax, Dulcolax, magnesium citrate, any thing but this. I will never take Senokot ever again, the only redeeming factor was I was able to go to the bathroom but I’d 100% rather be constipated. It’s currently 3pm and the extreme pain is still on and off.”

User October 18, 2019

Senokot (senna): “The amount of negative reviews on senokot on here is shocking. I had constipation for the 1st time. 5 days, nothing helped. So I got Senokot, I read the reviews and it scared me, but I needed to get some relief, so I took 1 pill. I felt a bit funny that night and I woke up several times at but nothing bad. I think it was just the paranoia. I woke up in the morning and nothing, no pain but also no poo. Finally, after breakfast, a big poo came (12h after taking the pill). And another one. I felt a bit weird and a bit uncomfortable in my stomach for about 2 hours, but nothing terrible, no cramps, no diarrhoea. For the rest of the day I felt okay, ate normally, had coffee, no problems. Luckily I did not need to take it again. Overall, the drug worked well for me (I also ate a lot of high fibre foods that day, so maybe that helped) Everyone is different but please don't get scared off by the terrible reviews, I think those are extreme cases.”

Nama · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2019

Senokot (senna): “I am so shocked by the bad reviews of Senokot. I am not constipated often but it is the best thing I have ever tried when I am. My doctor recommended Dulcolax when I had a problem once and never again. The pain I had was like having another baby. I use Senekot because it is so gentle with no side effects or cramping. Just a gentle normal bowel movement the next day. I even brought it to my mom in the Nursing home after she had a hysterectomy and was in awful pain mostly from constipation. Nothing they did for her helped. Just caused more cramping. Several hours after the Senekot she was able to have a normal bowl movement and no more pain or constipation. This was a God sent for her.”

Blonde · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2020

Senokot (senna): “Due to other medical issues, I have been dealing with long term constipation and can sometimes go a week without a bowel movement. I have tried several medications and have sound senokot to be the most gentle. My experience is fairly care free. I take the maximum dose and have not experienced any nausea. I have had some random pains but they never last long, and find myself passing gas after taking a dosage. The end product is successful. Make sure to drink lots of fluids with and after your dose. It makes a huge difference! Also, for comparison, a while ago I tried dulcolax and it was a nightmare. I felt so nauseated and actually vomited. Groaned and convulsed in pain for hours. Senokot, did not give me any problems! This just proves everyone’s body reacts differently to products.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2021

Senokot (senna): “I used this one time in February following a bout of awful constipation that came out of nowhere. I took the recommended dosage and waited. However over night I started to feel nauseous, this feeling intensified as the night went on until I was actually being sick. Everything and anything I ate or drank (including water) came back up. I had to go to hospital and I was given morphine and cyclizine (anti sickness) to help with the projectile vomiting and nausea. I had to stay in hospital for a month after using this. Horrible experience and it didn’t relieve my constipation at all. The minute I was discharged I threw the whole packet in the bin! If I could give 0 stars I would.”

Berylstafford · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2021

Senokot (senna): “I had a terrible experience with this drug. The worst stomach cramps I’ve ever had. Chills and nausea too. 15 hours later I feel wiped out and doubled over in pain still. My legs and calves cramped also all night and are still cramping. I would never take this again and I urge caution before taking this.”

Cheychey February 16, 2021

Senokot (senna): “I was a bit hesitant to use this product after seeing some of the reviews but I went ahead and I have to say this product is for me. I’ve always had an issue with bowel movement and have, for years, taken a more natural product. That product, unfortunately, is no longer available. I panicked and tried several other methods and nothing worked. Then I tried Senokot. I took 2 tablets and within 6 hours I had a gentle bowel movement. It actually keeps me going for 2 days so I take it every other day. I was so pleased since my intestines are sensitive to everything! I will discuss this with my doctor, and see what they have to say, since this is for occasional constipation and I would like to take it long term.”

R · Taken for less than 1 month August 28, 2020

Senokot (senna): “I was having constipation problems for a week and my doctor told me to get Senekot-S. I took 2 before bedtime around 11pm and then at 8am when I woke up I had diarrhea. He told me it would be normal, but for the next 3 hours I kept going back to the bathroom with diarrhea. I write this with severe cramping, nausea and dizziness still. I’ve never taken a laxative in my life so maybe my stomach can’t handle them. I feel so nauseous and weak I’m never taking this again. I will say that it worked as the whole week I couldn’t go to the bathroom and I felt full, but today it felt clear although I’m not sure how worth it it was with these side effects.”

Anonymous April 25, 2020

Senokot (senna): “I have IBS and sometimes take usually only half a tablet before before to sleep. I have mixed results generally but last night I had a similar experience to some others I’ve seen on here, in that I woke up a couple of hours after taking the tablet, feeling unwell with cramps, then I got the cold sweats and dizziness and I crawled to the bathroom and retched and vomited. No bowel movement just cramps. I went back to bed and still felt pretty sick and was shivering. I even dozed off fitfully a few times but when I woke up properly, the nausea and cramps had passed and I had a very volumous bowel movement an hour after getting up. The medicine generally works for me but you have to be prepared for very unpleasant side effects in getting there.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2021

Senokot (senna): “I took this once awhile ago and it was great, no pain and relief. Because I had a good experience the next time I was constipated I was relieved to know I could take one...VERY different expertise second time around. The extreme pain and cramping started about 16 hours after taking, I've had 4 children and the cramps felt like labor pains, I has nausea and weakness. Almost 24 hours later my stomach is bloated, I'm exhausted and while I've gone to the bathroom I have not had a good bowel movement yet. I will never take again.”

Misty · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 27, 2020

Senokot (senna): “I have chronic constipation due to daily medications. I use the senokot.-S. I take the higher dosage once a week and follow up the next day with 2 in the morning and 2 at night. It gently works for me, no cramps no pain, just relief. I may have additional bm for three days after the dosing but that is what I want. Check with your doctor about what is best for you.”

Bird · Taken for less than 1 month October 15, 2020

Senokot (senna): “I was constipated for 4 going on 5 days. I have never taken a laxative before and figured going herbal was the best way. I took two extra strength Senokot pills before bed, woke up around 6am with intense cramps. Had terrible cramps for hours until I finally made a BM around 11am. I realized taking two extra strength might of been too much - I just wanted it to get the job done. It did, but I still had stomach discomfort at 4:30pm. Somewhat annoyed at the side effects but it worked.”

Rosso252 · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 7, 2020

“The people complaining about Senna need to know how it works. It is a stimulant laxative, it will not soften your poo, to soften it you need an osmotic laxative, but you stimulate movement Senna is the absolute best! Incredible laxative I love the stuff. I use heavy pain meds so get constipation. I use macrogol (Aka Movicol) to soften my bowel motions and Senna to help push it along. Very predictable relief and works every time, thank God for Senna. If your poo is rock solid as your dehydrated taking Senna won’t help you and it might cause pain, you should only take Senna when you know your hydrated and your stools are soft. Most people can just take Senna without even thinking about this but people who are severely blocked up and their stool have become hardened then you need to soften the stoolo first with Movicol or any other osmotic laxative, there are a few different types, don’t use just one, use two and it will have a synergistic effect”

Sychrade · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2019

Senokot (senna): “Hello, I took Senokot at about 10:00pm at night and was fine, at about 12:00am holy crap all hell broke loose!! Tummy muscle spasms, painful stomach pains, gas pains, light headed, dizziness, extreme sweating, increased anxiety ,trouble breathing, chest tightness, chest pains...BUT NO BOWEL MOVEMENT!! it is now 1:15am and I am still having these side effects feeling like I'm going to die or something. I am literally staying up all night because of this poison! I'm so scared right now and no way am I going to the hospital because hospitals suck where I live. Can't tell if I'm dying or having a severe allergic reaction. Help! I'm never taking these again!!”

Kitty · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 28, 2020

Senokot (senna): “if you take Senokot make sure you DON'T have any plans the next day, about 12-24 hours after every time I take this I get major cramps which really sucks. I only use these if I haven't had a bowel motion for about a week because the cramps are just that bad. I'm currently hiding in the basement because there's guests over and it just kicked in after 19 h :(. it DOES relieve constipation though”

tb April 11, 2021

Senokot (senna): “I’m going to be as honest as possible here, yesterday I was extremely constipated and I couldn’t go to the washroom for the past few days, my brother has IBS and recommend senokot to me, he loves it. I took it at bedtime as recommended, took 2, and this morning I am suffering from extreme abdominal cramping, I’m nauseous and I have chills. I didn’t even get it all out! I literally feels like I have the flu after taking this, I cannot even get through my day. It worked for my brother, he likes it, but I will never take this again, I’ll stick to durolax or metamucil for now.”

Tan · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2019

Senokot (senna): “Oh my goodness took this medication thinking it would help me It worked the littlest bit still can’t really go But the side effects Cold , shivering, breaking out in sweats , severe stomach pain , dizzy, lightheaded, basically passed out thought I was going to die. It is 2 days since I took it and I still feel awful Will never ever take again”

Greenpolly · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2021

Senokot (senna): “Well, Senokot certainly work but I wouldn’t take again. The only advice in hindsight is that if you are small, I’m female and 8.5 stone/120 lbs take half a tablet as my husband is 12.5 stone / 175 lbs and it’s still one tablet for him on the directions. I hadn’t been for a couple of days, they were in the medicine cupboard so I took one tablet before bed on a Friday night having never taken a laxative before. At the witching hour of 3am I only just made it to the loo in time. I thought I I was hooked up to a hose. I don’t know about emptying your bowels....I thought my bowels would be following on out, closely followed by my intestines and any other vital organ that got in the way. And there I sat for 4 hours. When it felt safe to leave the bowl I lay on the bed like a shrivelled prune for another 4 hours, feeling dreadful and nauseous. Be warned! 100% effective but with side effects.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 24, 2020

Senokot (senna): “I tried Senokot for the first time (2 tablets), without knowing what the possible side effects were. I started experiencing some serious stomach pains, nausea and, dizziness, about 8 hours after taking it. I thought something was seriously wrong with me but, after finally going to the bathroom, the pain went away completely about an hour later. Although the side effects were really awful for me, it did work.”

DO NOT TAKE · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2018

Senokot (senna): “DO NOT USE. SEVERE stomach pain, cold sweats, light headedness. My stomach started gurgling about an hour after taking 2 tablets followed by bowel movements. But the INTENSE ABDOMINAL PAIN kept me awake all night. I thought something else might have been really wrong, but after reading many other Senokot reviews I realize I’m not the only one suffering from the consequences of putting this in my body. DO NOT TAKE!”

BAT · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2021

Senokot (senna): “Horrifying. Like another said, I'm a mom as well, and the pain from this drug was the worse than labor pain- couldn't agree more. I also had, the nausea, sweating then chills, and am suffering from PTSD from it. For 2 hours I was screaming the pain was so bad, the thought of riding in an ambulance with a morphine drip was what kept me alive. I'm considering a lawsuit. I did survive (obviously), but next day, I had pains all over my stomach area like I did 1000 crunches, and its mostly my stomach more then my intestines.”

Amad · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 17, 2019

Senokot (senna): “I suffer from constipation due to medication I take. I am prone to getting hemorrhoids. So it hurts when I have a bowel movement. This helps soften and pass my stools and doesn't irritate my hemorrhoids.”

Jen January 25, 2020

Senokot (senna): “Went to hospital for back pain where they gave me a ton of meds that binded me up and I was afraid to get fecal impaction so I took 2 tabs if Senna and holy moly I have been in severe pain for like 4 hrs......never again. I went poo and now have tremors in tummy and feeling sick to boot with pain.”

Bb · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 27, 2020

“If you are constipated from pain med this medication will work well. Just ensure you take it with a stool softener or else you will cramp (if you have been unable to go to the bathroom for a very long time). I'm on pain meds and put simply, pain meds block certain signals in your digestive system and therefore inhibit your intestines from pushing stool through regularly. Senna makes your intestines start moving again. If you’re constipated from being dehydrated do not take this. It will give you cramps. Take something like magnesium citrate or another stool softener like docusate sodium. Know what is causing your constipation and treat it accordingly.”

Hoorah August 27, 2019

Senokot (senna): “I took this medication for my first ever episode of prolonged constipation in my life, around 4 days. I am not a regular user of any drug like this, or in fact any medication. It was the only medication of this sort in our cabinet so I thought why not. I took one tablet at around 2145 and by 0945 the next day I was able to open my bowels successfully. I did experience some mild cramping and gas at first but it seems to have done its job. I would suggest, purely on the basis of my own experience, that you start with a low dosage and work upwards! In addition, drink plenty of water and eat lots of fibre! Don’t let the medication do all the work, give it some help by being hydrated and eating plenty of fibre.”