User Reviews for Ramelteon

Also known as: Rozerem

Learn more about Ramelteon.

Ramelteon Rating Summary

4.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 109 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ramelteon to treat Insomnia

"Single worst sleeping med I've ever taken. 'zombie' like, for most next day. also most expensive."

qwez44 August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been using this medication for over 10 years. It is horrible! I still got up at two or three in the morning with horrible stomach pains. The only way to get rid of it was to eat. I've gained tons of weight. Finally after researchIng Dr Ray Peat, I found out my insomnia was caused by a lack of sugar and salt and dairy. Nuts, avocados, beans, is what I added to my diet in 2004 when the insomnia started. According to that medical research, those food items really contribute to insomnia. By adding gelatin and dairy back in my diet I have not taking this medication for three months . And I got my sleep back after 13 years of insomnia.my weight is starting to come off. They need to warn people that this medication can cause weight gain"

Ilpmusic (taken for 10 years or more) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozerem (ramelteon): "I use Rozerem as a back up when my Halcion stops working due to overuse. I find that the Rozerem definitely knocks me out for a good number of hours. The only side effect is the feeling of a mild hangover in the morning. But overall, it is a good back up to have in your arsenal when you suffer from severe insomnia as I do."

N_B June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozerem (ramelteon): "I was prescribed this medication for my chronic insomnia. I took 8mg at bedtime without success. Never worked to allow me to go to sleep."

Dreamlove2901 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozerem (ramelteon): "It's very expensive for it NOT to be effective. My insurance paid $400 & my copay was $100. Pharmacy said it was effective which within 3 days nothing happen. It seems I stayed up longer. Took it at 9 pm. Supposedly you are to take it 30 minutes before bedtime. I stayed up till 4 am & 5 am. I took Advil PM since I had to get some sleep. It was more effective then this very expensive medication that I can't get a refund. Do not buy it unless your insurance covers it all. Maybe asked for a sample before buying a month supply."

Fossil1954 April 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozerem (ramelteon): "I have difficulty falling and staying alseep. Rozerem actually increased the time it takes me to fall asleep from about 3 hours to 6 hours."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor refused to support a prescription for low-dose (5 mg) zolpidem after my insurance company would not approve its filling. Instead he prescribed 20 mg rozerem. Now my problem is not insomnia, but rather an infrequent occasion where I have not fallen asleep. For that 2.5 mg zolpidem was the perfect answer. I have now tried rozerem 5 times for the past two plus months. 1.5 hours later I am mellow, but not asleep. Moreover, I do not feel that a good night's rest results. The worst was several weeks ago where asthmatic breathing was keeping me awake. Somewhere around 11:30 I took a pill. At 1:30, I was still wired. Finally in the 4 plus range I resorted to a benadryl and somehow got about 3 hours worth."

Dick.R January 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozerem (ramelteon): "My Doc recently refused to renew my Rx for Ristoril 30mg and switched me to Rozerem 8mg. I'm beginning to think she's playing me with a placebo. My problem has never been falling asleep; it is staying asleep that's problematic. With the Ristoril it was lights out for 6 - 8 hrs. Now I'm staring at the ceiling till sunrise after about 1.5 hrs. of light sleep. The spontaneous naps during daylight whenever I sit or recline exacerbate the problem at night. I'm getting ready to doctor shop."

Ridgetop 12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozerem (ramelteon): "Nothing worked on me ambien, sonatata, Valium , this WORKS"

Purrfect0ne (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozerem (ramelteon): "I have been taking it for four nights. I fall asleep for about an hour and go into a state of mind in which my mind is awake but my body is asleep. Then my body wakes up after one hour and I am awake for the rest of the night feeling extremely fidgety like I need to pace or jump out of my skin. The feeling continues for about 12 hours. I can't take it anymore. If it had no effect, I would keep taking it waiting for that magical night that many seem to express happens. This reaction frightens me. I don't want to chance rage like Wellbutrin causes in me."

Chooch_2016 (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking rozerem for a few years now, pretty consistently. I'm surprised by the low ratings. As one other reviewer stated, this won't knock you out cold. It's a helper. I take it 30 minutes before I go to bed. By the time that 30 minutes has passed, I'm drowsy and ready to sleep. I can, and have, pushed through the drowsiness if I wanted to stay awake longer for whatever reason, and of course then it doesn't work. But if you go to bed and let it work, it does the job beautifully. I have no side effects other than feeling well rested. No hallucinations like ambien. No next-day dizziness like Lunesta. Don't know what I'd do without it. The only downside: It is crazy expensive."

Sibyll1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozerem (ramelteon): "Drowsiness but no sleep, so much worse than the Ambien and Lunesta that at least work a little. Finally fell asleep at 6am, woke three hours later, felt like death all day. Dizzy, drowsy, poor appetite, felt like my body was made of lead. I'm often low energy but this was scary. Took for one night, would rather stay awake all night than do it againz"

Ophelia7221 September 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozerem (ramelteon): "my issues with sleep have always been getting to sleep ok but waking up 3am and difficulty getting back to sleep. to counter this i take 20mg of doxepin which works wonderfully and lessens my general anxiety and depression. However recently i had trouble falling asleep (work stresses) and the dox doesn't work like that. so my doc prescribed rozerem 8mg and in conjunction with the low dose dox it worked wonders. only had to take it a couple days to get my sleep cycle back on track. like melatonin it produces crazy weird dreams but no bad side effects. now i only take it occasionally when anxiety strikes causing bad sleep induction insomnia. Even with my copay it's expensive @ $5/dose (doxepin 5 cents/dose). Recc for occasional."

HistorianX September 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozerem (ramelteon): "Medication did not keep me asleep. No trouble falling asleep, but awoke only a few hours later. Extreme exacerbation of depression occurred. Loss of appetite, loss of taste, olfactory hallucinations ( the smell of burning cigars?), occurred no explanation given. Only used the drug 2 nights but these experiences frightened me I will not use again."

New Jersey Consumer September 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Did not work for me at all in fact I felt the it made the insomnia worse. I was shocked at how expensive this drug. The first night was horrible I even called the pharmacy to see if I could return it because my copay was $80.00, so quite expensive for something that didn't work for me. They couldn't take it back, so please check to see if they can give you a couple day sample from the pharmacy before you by a 30 day supply. So I gave it 2 more tries, so 3 nights total, and had to revert back to Xanax which knocks me out because 3 days straight without sleep I was getting so frustrated and irritable Oh well back to the drawing board. Hope it works for other people :)"

KSP123456 May 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozerem (ramelteon): "I love this medication. I had no luck with Ambien. Rozerem is PERFECT for what I need it for - it's not so much that I have insomnia, but a delayed sleep phase. Rozerem doesn't necessary PUT me to sleep, but HELPS me fall asleep if I'm willing, which can help me retain a diurnal rhythm without difficulty. I would not recommend this for someone who needs to be "knocked out" into sleep - it is not that strong. I also recommend taking it exactly as directed - 30 minutes before you plan to go to sleep, and then actually PLAN on sleeping. If you pop a pill then stare at the computer or read a book, it won't be able to do its job (speaking from experience). Like I said, it doesn't force you to sleep, it helps you to sleep."

Kmacca March 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozerem (ramelteon): "It works most of the time, but some nights I still only sleep about 5 hours."

Lcrow324 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozerem (ramelteon): "I only took it for three nights before I gave up. It seemed to keep me up longer than usual. The worst part was that I was dizzy the next day almost like vertigo, usually when I go from a laying down to standing position. The room just spins. It's been three nights since I've taken the medication and these side effects have not gotten any better."

Laurat67 December 18, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozerem (ramelteon): "The medication didn't help me fall asleep, nor stay asleep longer than four hours...NOT worth the money!!"

Butlermom (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozerem (ramelteon): "It replaces Ativan. No, it doesn't! It works, in combination with 10mg Melatonin, for a max four hours, four hours of seriously intense dreams! At 3:30a I'm wide awake, tossing and turning till daylight. Only thing left is good old Nyquill!"

Fordamist November 2, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozerem (ramelteon): "I just went to the doctor for insomnia treatment. I have tried some hypnotics before but it was a benzodiazimide drug and I had a terrible withdrawal from it. He suggested I try this drug since it is not known to be habit forming. At this point I'll try just about anything if it helps. The reviews here however are sort of discouraging and one pharmacy I went to didn't even carry it as he said there wasn't much of a demand for it. :( Hopefully it will work for me. I am running out of options. Have tried CBT-I with some success but am only able to sleep 4-5 hours with that and I get tired during the day. What's weird is I will fall asleep watching TV at night but when I go to bed I am awake all night it seems."

Mike0050 (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozerem (ramelteon): "I was using over the counter medicines to sleep. I wake up after 3-4 hours of sleeping. I took Rozerem when I woke up and was able to sleep for an additional six hours. I feel great the next morning. Not groggy. I have only used it for two nights so it remains to be seen how it will work long term but so far much better than Ambien in terms of quality of sleep."

Charlie in JP (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozerem (ramelteon): "Fell asleep fine but woke up after a few hours. Bad taste in mouth and nausea"

Jenn1fer120 (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozerem (ramelteon): "I have been diagnosed with Bipolar, anxiety disorder and a few others. Insomnia is included in the mix. If I do not have normal sleep patterns my mental and emotional health become at risk very quickly. For the first month Rozerem 8mg worked well. I fell asleep easily within 30 minutes. I could have chosen to fight the drowsiness, but why take a medication then deliberately work against it? I found I had no side effects. However now I am into my second month and I am finding I can only average 2 to 4 hours sleep again and during the day I suffer vertigo and tunnel vision. So I am not sure that I will continue this medication. My insurance covered the medication without any extra paperwork."

SNARI (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozerem (ramelteon): "Initially made me drowsily sleepy, but did not remain asleep. Got up after two hours to pee. Trouble after that falling asleep, slept two more hours. Got up again to use bathroom. Then fell asleep again and slept for approximately four hrs. Got up and was dizzy all day long and had stomach upset and diarrhea as well."

CV4Peace (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2014