User Reviews for Seroquel to treat Schizoaffective Disorder

Seroquel Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder.

Reviews for Seroquel

Sam April 28, 2020

“10 years ago, while in college, I had a marijuana induced psychosis (didn't know this was possible) & wound up in the ER. Don't remember 95% of events but apparently I thought the hospital staff was trying to kill me, was uncooperative & pulling IVs out of my arm. They had an officer restrain me & he decided it was a good idea to tase me in the head. I fell down and suffered a fractured skull, concussion & the next day my nightmare began. I developed PTSD, couldn't sleep, panic attacks, hyper-vigilance etc. I was close to ending my life when I found a $300/hr Psych. who started me on Seroquel immediately. Within 24hrs I felt almost as good as before the incident happened. I was on it for a year and stopped as the doc told me I could stop if I didn't have any psychoses in that time. Very grateful for that doc and Seroquel. Everyone should have medical care like I found regardless of their ability to pay $300/hr; fortunately my parents could afford it.”

Druger February 15, 2020

“Seroquel knocked me out so bad that I slept 18 hours... the heavy sedation effect does go away though. It did not help at all with my schizophrenia. But it did make me put on a lot of weight. Altogether, antipsychotics have made me put on a ton of weight. I've tried many of them. And I used to weigh 160 pounds and now am 220... so far that's all these drugs have done to me, they should be called fat pills.”

Jacob S. · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 15, 2019

“I take 400mg fast acting seroquel for bed and it knocks me out in about forty-five minutes. Sure beats laying awake all night overthinking things. I don't know what I'd do without it, probably stay up for several days and have another manic episode. The regular seroquel works better for me as the extended release just turned me into a brainless zombie.”

storm0224 November 20, 2019

“I have schizoaffective disorder and manic episodes and seroquel has helped me soo much. I'm more calm I eat better sleep better the only downside is when I do have episodes they are full blown but its better than the everyday I was experiencing”

K1998 · Taken for less than 1 month October 17, 2018

“I was on a number of medications. For hallucination (both tactile and visual as well as auditory) I’m dealing with more of the schizophrenia part. I been diagnosed a year now. I been on ability, respridal, zyprexa. And nothing until seroquel. I am completely calmed down and feel much better. Really sleep and very hungry. Restless legs and arms but all around a good medication.”

Neuromancer · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 12, 2018

“All began well and I was on a small dose for a while. Then I had a relapse and we upped the dosage. Then I started awful side effects every night after taking it! Then my Mum came to stay and said "It's the medication." So I called my shrink and asked to go off it and he said OK- no more side effects!”

dynamiterocket · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2017

“Seroquel did not work for me (this is NOT to say it may work for you, because everyone's biochemistry is different). It caused me to sleep 16 hours a day or more on a extremely low dose (75 mg), and over 2 weeks caused me to auditory hallucinate and creepy or hellish nightmares (worse than my normal ones). Over time it actually caused anxiety instead of reducing it. Hope you have a better time with Seroquel than me!”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more August 28, 2017

“If you have a mixed diagnostic, bipolar I or II, with traces of schizophrenia, seroquel acts as a good 'sidekick' to medications such as risperdal and zyprexa and abilify.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more August 27, 2017

“I was prescribed 800 seroquel for my therapeutic dosage. Many years later, I decided with my pdoc to try 600. I felt more balanced, more centered and attuned - with the same effectiveness of the med. Later, while in a combination of other meds, I took the courage to play around with 300/400 mgs. of XR, and, to my surprise, I still got a precise dosage - no racing thoughts, sound sleep, no anxiety, much attenuated paranoia, and an awesome anti-depressant effect with half of the original 800.”

BrockyBear · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 18, 2016

“I've been on this medication for 5-6 years now on a large dose of 800mh a night! It's the only medication that has worked for me. Sleep slot but my big main problem is weight gain! I went from 65kg up to 122kg in the years of taking it! I keep active and have a terrific diet I just can't seem to loose any weight so for me I'm at a place of wondering if I should swap for something else and risk it. Fat and happy or thin and crazy?”

Anonj26 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 11, 2016

“This drug worked perfectly. It controlled all my symptoms, paranoia, visual and auditory hallucinations, tactile hallucinations and anxiety. Absolutely no weight gain. I lost 30 pounds on this medication and could not be happier that I tried the drug. It also works excellently for people with eating disorders, controlling their cravings and regulating their eating patterns. There were no sexual side effects. I never relapsed when I went off the medication with the help of my psychiatrist. Thank you makers of seroquel!”

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 21, 2016

“Works kinda well but you will sleep like nonstop and you will gain weight. I gained at least 30 pounds on this med and was sleeping like 14 hours a day.”

Stphy February 16, 2016

“I have been on a lot of them and I'm now on 300 mg Seroquel it is the best , I have not gained weight but I exercise I take it at night. I don't see things, I feel things touching me but I still have one voice and not 4 in my head .”

Rayacccc December 31, 2015

“I have a complicated relationship with this drug. On one hand, I've been on everything for depression (specifically), and nothing helped. I'm talking like 20 medications here, so it's been a rollercoaster. most antidepressants were useless for me and the time period for effectiveness is usually over 1 month. Seroquel usually takes 2 weeks to start having an effect. It works for my depression - but I'm sedated and have to sleep a lot. Being a student can make this challenging. shift work and the like would be hard too. It's my last bet for now because I literally start to crumble to psychosis without it. However it is debilitating and feels restrictive. Beats the psych ward I guess. good luck and keep trying, sometimes it takes a while.”

RowdyB88 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 27, 2015

“Seroquel has been ineffective for me at dosages below 600mg. Even at 600mg my symptoms are decreased slightly. I have been on lower dosages of other medications that have worked better.”

What's normal · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 23, 2015

“Seroquel is awesome. 300mg kicked my butt. It took a year to drop down to 100mg. No matter the dosage, I don't snap out of it until mid day. Best sleep ever. Gained a lot of weight. My worst side effect is tight muscles, in legs more than anywhere.”

headdy20 April 27, 2015

“I take seroquel and have taken higher doses when I was heavier at 300 lbs I was taking 900mg and my new doc cannot believe my psychiatrist was prescribing me that high of a dose just to help me sleep. Once I had weight loss surgery I could only handle about 150mg I am up to 300mg. The thing I like best about seroquel is it will knock you out and you will get good sleep. Now occasionally I have taken one and a half pills if I want to fall asleep quicker but you really have to be careful with this drug because many things can happen. The side effects I've experienced mainly is trouble swallowing which scares me to death when I'm trying to sleep and I'm panicking & my heartbeats racing yet I can't swallow. So be very careful with dosages.”

Krazi165 · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 21, 2014

“Don't worry about weight gain! I've taken Seroquel for two years, and let me tell you you can stay fit and or lose weight! The hardest is the munchies at night, but if you can control that and or snack healthy you will be FINE. You don't have to have a strict diet on this medication. Exercise and eat healthy as much as you can. You can still enjoy giving into cravings! You have to adjust to the major hunger especially at night. See what works for you. This medicine is amazing and works very well. Just give it a chance. After two years I have not gained any weight but have actually lost since I began taking it. It's a little hard at first but once you figure out what works for you you'll have a happy life emotionally and physically!”

Charlieaffective · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 8, 2014

“No problems, watch what you eat.”

lipo · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 18, 2014

“Feeling depressed, cried first thing I woke up.”

kmanza3 March 11, 2014

“Works for me.”

tiredoftablets · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 11, 2014

“Hi, Unfortunately this medication does not suit me as I get a lot of the undesirable side effects. Slurred speech, terrible confusion, drowsiness but not able to sleep, cravings for sugary foods, a sort of spaced out feeling, and restless leg. Apart from that it's great! :) Wish I could continue taking it, but it's not worth the side effects in my case.”

solitude solace · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 6, 2014

“For me personally, the weight gain WAS dose-related. I gained over 200 lbs. by the time I got up to 600mg a day. Even so, it does wonders for my schizo-affective and depression disorders.”

SeroquelBroughtMeBack · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 8, 2013

“I've suffered from bipolar and psychosis as early as 6th grade. It took about 15 years to get seen, by that time I was completely detached from reality. After trying expensive placebos with bad side effects and high hype, I tried Seroquel. It works on the psychosis, mania and depression I've experienced in trade for being a little sleepy. Seroquel is so far the only medication that works by itself & which I can function even after missing a dose (not recommended). It's all about risk versus controlling symptoms with these medications. If you've found something effective for treating the symptoms, the next step is finding the cause. This illness is like a sleeping dragon, you must keep it asleep or you'll get burned, Seroquel helps.”

Mom of 2 Schizoaffective September 16, 2013

“I have been on Seroquel for several years, mixed with other medicines. Recently tried reducing strength but couldn't sleep or concentrate due to racing thoughts. Keeps me normal (as "normal" as anyone else). Also take Lamictal for mood-stabilizer/anti-depressant and Citalopram for anxiety/depression. Does make me very sleepy so I must take it before 9 pm to feel awake enough to function at 6:30 am Life-saver for me and my family.”

Learn more about Schizoaffective Disorder

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)