User Reviews for Motegrity to treat Chronic Idiopathic Constipation

Motegrity has an average rating of 4.8 out of 10 from a total of 27 ratings for the treatment of Chronic Idiopathic Constipation. 41% of those users who reviewed Motegrity reported a positive effect, while 52% reported a negative effect.

Motegrity Rating Summary

4.8/10 average rating

Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Idiopathic Constipation.

Reviews for Motegrity

Justwannago · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2021

“I’ve been on Motegrity for 3 days and it’s been a miracle drug so far! Been on Linzess, Trulance, Miralax and EVERY OTC laxative on the market. Nothing worked until I used Motegrity. Yes, it causes severe nausea , but I just take it at night before I go to bed. The nausea wears off before I wake up. The first time I’ve had a proper BM in months!! Fingers crossed!!!”

HappyGuy · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 5, 2021

“I've been on a psychiatric med, bupropion, for many months, and although it gave me excellent mood benefits, it also caused severe constipation: zero peristalsis. I was doing everything else recommended, including fiber, lots of water, exercise, Power Pudding (look it up) with no benefits. I did some research and learned of Motegrity, told my shrink about it and asked her to prescribe it--or at least secure samples for me to try. First day I took 2mg, and the next day had pretty severe bowel movements, so cut the med in half the next day--and my GI movements stalled once again. Resumed 2mg, and .. . I got regular. It's not been a cure for me, but it actually does prompt peristalsis, so I can go, have a sense of "competeness," without using laxatives--which worked, but in a nasty way. It's been 7 weeks now, and I think it's been a quality-of-life saver.”

Fully Occupied April 16, 2021

“I have chronic constipation and it's absolutely a life of misery. My doctor prescribed Motegrity and it works. HOWEVER, the horrific cramps and headache I could do without. The warning sign that I need to stay put close to a bathroom are the camps and nausea. The headache starts about 30 minutes after taking it. When you live with idiopathic chronic constipation as severely as I do then you kind of have to go with what works. Nevertheless I could definitely live without the side effects.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 15, 2021

“Motegrity is the ONLY treatment that has worked for my chronic idiopathic constipation. Before Motegrity, I was on Amitiza, Linzess, Trulance (no response to any of them), plus every OTC option you could think of, every diet, test, etc. With Motegrity I have BMs 4/7 days a week which is a vast improvement from my previous quality of life. I will say the first week I had significant side effects. Expect the first 24-48 hours especially to be full of diarrhoea, abdominal cramping, sweats. But stick it out! After that first week I have not had a single side effect in over a year of taking 2mg per day.”

Sofi November 13, 2020

“2 years ago I suddenly started feeling discomfort and extreme bloating. I went to 3 GI doctors and all they would tell me is that I was healthy because nothing came up on any of my tests. This literally took over my life as I no longer had any energy and felt like I had to lay down after every meal because of the discomfort. I tried going gluten free, dairy free, no fructose and it would give me very little and temporary relief as I would for no reason be extremely bloated again. My third GI doctor subscribed me Linzess, I had complete bowel movements but it was too harsh on my stomach. My doctor then switched me to Motegrity, at first I had a continuos headache and I had bowel movement right away. It wasn’t diarrhea it was nice and smooth like before and my stomach was not upset. After 1-2 weeks I did not feel any headache and my bowel movements are almost daily which is a blessing. For some reason the 2nd month I felt even better almost like my old self.”

T · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 6, 2021

“The first time I took Motegrity I had a severe migraine and I completely gave up taking it. I was looking up reviews to see how everyone else responded to it and saw a girl posted that Prucalopride is a Vasodialator and in order to offset the headache you need a Vasoconstricter (coffee). So I tried her suggestion and took Motegrity before bed and drank 1 cup of coffee the next morning. It worked, I had no headache and no side effects. Anyone who had this side effect please try my suggestion before giving up. Back ground on me: I also split the pill in half and take 1mg every night before bed 4 hours after my last meal. I have a tortuous colon and chronic Methane Sibo. Ever since I started taking Motegrity like above all my symptoms have disappeared. I follow no diet but I only eat 3 Large meals a day and no snacking to keep my Migrating Motor Complex functioning properly to prevent Sibo relapse.”

Frosty · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 21, 2020

“I have had problems with constipation most of my adult life. I know I should drink more water, but live to drink diet coke! Gastro doctor put me on Linzess originally. Had really bad diarrhea and then stopped working. He then put me on Motegrity. My God, what a difference. I go almost every day, sometimes more than once. I added taking stool softner and now have no problems with pain or having complete BM. I do have occasional gas, but it passes easily. I finally feel normal again! At first my insurance company denied paying for Motegrity, but I appealed the decision and they give it to me for $155 for 90 day supply. I gladly pay this for not having the bloating and pain I would endure.”

Hello · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2020

“I’ve been on Motegrity almost two weeks now, and it’s been the best medication I’ve taken so far for chronic idiopathic constipation. It’s great that I can take Motegrity with or without food, unlike Linzess, and the Motegrity hasn’t increased my stomach pain like Amitiza did. Again, unlike Linzess, Motegrity has NOT caused diarrhea for me, but it effectively helps me “go” without needing to drink coffee or take a laxative. Motegrity has caused excessive sweating, and at the very beginning, I had a minor headache. All in all, I consider Motegrity to be an excellent medication! I’ll try to update this review after a few months.”

Von · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2020

“Stuff is poweful ! I have taken trulance, linzess , nasty ol miralax, you name it ! None compare to motegrity. I took it before bed. Woke up in the morning and it was time to GO !! I didn't even know I had so much. Its been 2 days later and I still feel the effects of it. I've had IBS-C for 20 years. I'm hoping this is a long term bandaid for my problems.”

Shelly October 16, 2019

“Motegrity did work for the chronic idiopathic constipation. But I noticed increased feelings of depression, such that I had to evaluate whether the trade off was worth it. I have always preferred seeking out natural solutions anyway because pharmaceuticals always seem to come with such a high price. So I went to a doctor of osteopathy. On his recommendation, I have been working with Dr Schulze’s Intestinal (or Digestive) Formula 1 with great results (& no misery). I would seriously discourage anyone from taking Motegrity. I know our bodies are all different. But life is stressful enough generally. Combine that with the stress of your health challenge and you’re already half-depressed. You would think the effects of Motegrity on the digestion would bring lasting bliss. But it doesn’t. This is coming from a person who performs at high levels in her professional life and maintains a high level of fitness by training hard 4-6 days/week.”

Lexi · Taken for less than 1 month September 30, 2020

“I got put on Motegrity after being on Linzess for over a year with no change in my bowels. The first time I took Motegrity, it made me feel like I had a very bad stomach bug. My stomach ached, I was getting hot flashes, felt sick, had a bad headache. I decided I wouldn’t take it again. Then 2 weeks went by and I couldn’t have a bowel movement no matter what I did so I decided fine, I’ll give it another go. That was a huge mistake. Within 30 minutes I was sitting on the toilet and couldn’t get up. I was having the same symptoms as last time but worse. I had really sharp pains in my stomach, I couldn’t stand up straight without being in excruciating pain, my head was pounding, I was throwing up, couldn’t keep anything down. Then I started to poop nothing but blood. Went to the ER and I was severely dehydrated and ended up with colitis all due to Motegrity. My experience was horrible, so if you feel symptoms the first time you take it, please listen to your body.”

MB August 10, 2019

“I started out with a whole pill and immediately experienced nausea and a pounding headache. The next day I took a half a pill felt great, but little stool. That evening took the second half of the pill and depression started to settle in on me. By the 4th day just taking half a pill depression was heavy on me. I’ve decided to stop taking the medication after the 5th day of half a pill and go to a nutrition store to find something similar and try that also add more fiber to my diet. I’ve tried linzess severe weight gain I’ve tried Amitiza nauseated all the time.”

Highfive · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 30, 2019

“Overall, Motegrity is extremely effective. I’ve been on it for four and a half weeks and have had little to no intestinal side effects as experienced with Linzess (severe bloat, gas and incontinence) and have been able to feel pretty normal. The only issue I’ve experienced is pretty frequent headache (about every other day) and nausea (everyday). I take Excedrin Migraine for the headache and Ondansetron for the nausea and seem to do well. This drug has saved me from my many nights awake with severe pain from my CIC and gastroparesis, so the benefits outweigh the side effects.”

Yes! · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 17, 2020

“I started taking Motegrity right when it came out in 2019, before my insurance came up with a prior authorisation for it. My physician was working with me and giving my samples of practically everything while I waited to see a GI. Motegrity was the only one that actually worked and made me feel like myself again. I tried everything with my diet before having to start relying on a prescription. I did the whole 30 diet multiple times and would slowly add things in my diet 1 by 1 to see what was causing the problem and I was still having all my symptoms while on the whole 30 that I did for 60 days instead of just 30. I workout regularly and drink plenty of water. I have done everything in my power to self correct whatever is causing my symptoms but nothing would work. Now that my insurance has come up with a prior auth for motegrity I am working with my GI and physician to get it approved again. I have done a variety of imaging and functional testing and just want to be back on Motegrity!”

Deb September 7, 2020

“One Motegrity pill, and had side effect of horrible headache and it made my stomach so upset and 1 day out still feeling like I'm going to throw up and bloating. Never again. I will no longer be ever taking this pill. I'm so sick from just this one pill”

festusdog · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 30, 2019

“I tried this daily for 7 weeks -- almost at end of 2nd refill. Worked a little for the first 10 days or so, but NO results at all since, and unfortunately VERY unpleasant side effects of severe gas, severe bloating, abdominal pains. It was very expensive too. Not going to refill. No results and bad side effects.”

V · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 3, 2021

“My quality of life has improved drastically on this drug. I had some side effects in the first week (headache mostly), but those resolved. I've tried other drugs (Linzess, Amitiza, Trulane), and they did not help me. I have a tortuous colon. My insurance company recently stopped covering this drug, but the alternatives do not help me.”

Sable · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2019

“Tried Motegrity and got a horrible headache/migraine, major fatigue (had to take a nap to sleep off the pounding headache), and diarrhea. Not impressed whatsoever. Tired of GI drs handing out pills like candy, not once has my GI asked me about my diet, I’m switching drs, this one just doesn’t get it!”

Rozy · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2020

“I took this med for about 2 weeks for Gastroparesis then started to have psyche side effects. I stopped the drug for a few days then started up again as it worked so well. Lo & behold the same thing happened. Few more tries & this time the side effects out weighed the good. It took me a week to feel better mentally but I am still very anxious. Works well but not worth the cons.”

sofmelo · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2020

“oi! I have been constipated all my life, tried all the otc stuff. I tried trulance before this one, did not help at all. I was very hopeful for motegrity. It worked amazing the first two days, first times I have ever had a complete bowel movement. I had some bad gas and awful pain in my back and sides. I was also quite achy, almost like I was hungover. Unfortunately, when the pain stopped on the third day, so did the bowel movements. on to the next!”

Kay January 6, 2021

“I took motegrity one day and I barely made it through the day. Started with diarrhea and extreme bloating and stomach pains. Then started getting dizzy and head hurting. By that night I had a pounding headache, could barely stand, running to the bathroom, dizziness-it was awful. I felt so sick I almost went to the ER. Day two and I still have a lingering headache and diarrhea, stomach pains and extreme bloating. Never taking this pill again. I must mention I have also tried Linzess and also experienced extreme bloating and diarrhea but none of these other symptoms.”

Mom3 · Taken for less than 1 month February 5, 2021

“Horrific. I took 1 tablet before bedtime and woke up writhing in pain. Strange loud stomach noises followed by gas of epic proportions which smelled sickly. Pain all day the next day. I’d rather be constipated and that’s saying a lot.”

San Diego nurse · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2021

“After suddenly developing abdominal pain and infrequent BMs 4 years ago without consistent relief from diet changes, or OTC products, Or Amitiza and Linzess, Im trying this (and one other which is less effective). This “worked” initially with soft and loose stool, lots of gas, cramping. Added my OTC again but ineffective. Tried the other sample drug, even less effective Back on Motegrity, same experience and have concluded its exacerbating neck, & back pain to intolerable level, possible wrist and ankle pain, fatigue and the blues. Totally interfering with sleep. The only temporary relief I get is swimming or exercising.”

Koko Lynn · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2021

“I took just a 1/2 yesterday morning. Got a crazy pounding headache within 10 minutes, then was constantly going to the bathroom. Nauseated and pounding heart. I have Postural tachycardia syndrome and was flaring with adrenaline surges after taking this 1/2 once. It said it lasts 24 hours. Nope, it’s been 36 hours and I’m still feeling sick to my stomach and nauseated. I could just sip my water. I am trying to push Gatorade as I’m dehydrated. I’ve been massaging my stomach as it’s in pain and gurgling still! I guess I’ll stick to miralax in my water and stool softeners. This is not for me!”

Mitzi · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2021

“I don't really suffer from constipation, but I have trouble emptying my bowels completely. Dr. prescribed Motegrity. I took it 3 days in row. I didn't have the headache, vomiting or other severe side effects described by other people, but I'm not going to continue taking it. I'm glad I was home the whole time. There was no warning about when it would kick it and all of a sudden I had to rush into the bathroom. I didn't have a normal bowel movement. It gave me diarrhea, to the extent that I was just passing liquid at the end that I could not eliminate completely. So it seems that this medication is effective for some, but not everyone.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 6, 2021

“Have SIBO crohn's, gastroparesis and have been on Trulance for years with minimal help. My doctor put me on Motegrity. I took one pill last night within 2 hours I was in agony and then violently vomiting. It's the next day and I feel horrible. I am so upset because I was praying it would work..I am so bummed.”

Dot February 5, 2021

“I have been on Motegrity for over a year and it worked great for awhile and lately I have had problems with feeling jittery anxious and depressed. Feeling jittery and anxious is the worse. I have gastroparesis and also on Famotidine Promethazine Lansoprazole and Motillium so it may be a combination or the Motegrity”

AtillatheMom · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2020

“Worked for 3 days and then back to constipation. Also seemed to not mix well with my anti-seizure drugs. My previous seizure drug had caused a particular type of seizure and depression. I haven’t had those problems since I switched off that drug but experienced both in the past week so I am going to discontinue use.”