User Reviews for Polyethylene glycol 3350 to treat Bowel Preparation

Also known as: MiraLAX, GlycoLax, GaviLAX, ClearLax, PEG3350, Purelax, HealthyLax, Gialax, SunMark ClearLax

Polyethylene glycol 3350 has an average rating of 5.1 out of 10 from a total of 30 ratings for the treatment of Bowel Preparation. 43% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 50% reported a negative effect.

Polyethylene glycol 3350 Rating Summary

5.1/10 average rating

Compare all 48 medications used in the treatment of Bowel Preparation.

Reviews for Polyethylene glycol 3350

anonymous May 23, 2020

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “If you've got IBS-C and motility issues like me, this should be a good read. I was terrified, because I know how horrendous the cramping/abdominal pain can be when taking laxatives, even ones as "gentle" as Miralax. While the feelings of fullness and slight nausea persisted, this prep wasn't painful and I didn't experience cramping. I'm thin, small and VERY sensitive to even small doses of meds, so I thought this bowel prep was going to wreck me. But it absolutely didn't. Remember, people only post reviews when they've had an experience SO far out of the norm, they felt the urge to warn others. The grand majority of us -- even with IBS and motility issues - get through this with moderate discomfort, yes, but no vomiting, cramping, or spasming.”

LilB · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 17, 2021

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I'm about to have my 15th Colonoscopy. I'm only 53 but due to cancer I have 1 a year. I've tried every prep under the sun. The last Colonoscopy was January of 2020. I used the Dulcolax, Magnesium Citrate and MiraLax. Now I've learned from experience, I stop eating meats a week before the procedure. I only eat soft foods and 2 days before I go to just liquids. I did great with the cleansing. The only problem I had was the Magnesium Citrate, once I drank that bottle I vomited for almost an hour. Not nice it was coming out of both ends. Only drank half of the MiraLax and was clean. I mixed mine with Apple Juice I can't stand Gatorade. Wishing Everyone Luck with The Cleansing!”

Angie September 4, 2020

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I used thr MiraLAX in preparation for a colonoscopy. I'm 23 years old and a female. I was so scared that this was going to make me throw up as I have a severe fear of vomiting. This was a split dose mixed in with Gatorade and it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. No need to be anxious! Took my first dose at 5:30pm and was on the toilet at 7:30pm. No vomiting, just a lot out of the other end. Be prepared to run to the bathroom multiple times and have good soft toilet paper on hand. Other than that this was a good experience for a prep!”

Not Good · Taken for less than 1 month November 19, 2019

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I used this Miralax prep last week along with Dulcolax and I will NEVER use it again. After the third dose I still had not had a bowel movement. Then all at once I broke out into a profuse cold sweat and felt as though I would pass out. I headed for the bedroom to lay down then and after about 3 minutes a wave of nausea hit and I barely made it back to the bathroom before projectile vomit occurred. This was my 3rd colonoscopy/endoscopy and NEVER AGAIN WILL I USE THIS PREP. After I vomited the poison from my system, I felt better and continued with the process. I was able to have the procedure but I told my doctor the what happened and he said from now on he would use Moviprep or Suprep.”

nothappening · Taken for less than 1 month June 29, 2021

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “Was prescribed Miralax & Dolcolax combination for colonoscopy prep, I was in tears hyperventilating from the horror story reviews in this forum. I came here to say: IT IS NOT THAT BAD. I’m 23 years old and (still) have a horrible fear of vomiting. I was petrified to take the doses prescribed because of some of these reviews. I forced myself to do it for the sake of getting this thing over with. Took 4 dulcolax at 4pm along with an anti nausea medicine, followed by the miralax solution starting at 5 pm. A couple of normal bowel movements within the first hour, then water like bowel movements every 20-30 mins until about 11pm/midnight. No pain, no vomiting, no nausea. Just diarrhea as intended. You’ll be a little chilly but NOTHING unbearable. You got it”

A. March 1, 2019

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “Prep: From 5 pm until 7pm, it went down fine with the Gatorade. Around 7pm, I was doing a lot of tooting. At 7:30 pm, I started with three bouts of semi solid stools. At 8 pm, I had a few room cleaning toots and felt like I was going to throw up from all that liquid I had to drink alongside the prep (I ate Jello and drank a lot of clear broth to keep my strength up.) I completed the prep mixture as instructed. Then, nothing but watery, murky sludge from 8:30pm until 4am in 15 minute spurts. Your butt will start firing off some lava sludge after the first few bouts. It is a normal part of the prep, and it causes a definite rash where your external sphincter is. I slept from 4am until 9am and did one more sludge bout but the sludge was more yellow and only a few flecks were visible. I felt like I was going to go again on the ride up but no more sludge happened when I went to use the bathroom before my procedure. The doctor was satisfied with how clean my colon was for the procedure.”

DianeH · Taken for less than 1 month April 28, 2021

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I've used Miralax in the past for occasional constipation and it works well. For a recent colonoscopy, I had a problem with unusual constipation, so the doctor wanted me to do extra prep, so he had me drink seven glasses of Miralax the morning before the procedure. Later in the early evening, I had to start the regular foul-tasting prep drink. I can barely get that stuff down. Miralax has no taste. I was able to mix it with plain water and drink it with no problem. It's the easiest colonoscopy prep there is. The next time I have a colonoscopy, I'm going to insist that Miralax (along with Dulcolax tablets) is the only prep I have to drink.”

Amyliz November 29, 2018

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I drank the miralax in 64 oz Gatorade for colonoscopy. No other laxative used. Drank entire prep between 7 pm and 1130 pm. Nothing happened until 1230 am. Was up entire night on toilet until my colonoscopy at 630 am including at doctor office. However my prep was super clean and don’t need for another 10 years so it was worth staying up all night for. I recommend - it wasn't that hard to drink no cramping or pain just bloating feeling. Tasted fine.”

There she goes · Taken for 10 years or more September 16, 2020

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I have always used miralax, plain with water, I just drink and get it over with. The dulcolax tabs work too so I don't ever have problems, but the magnesium citrate 6 hours before procedure, for me, is the worst. That 10 ounces of bitter salt water taste takes forever to finish - I'm already clean and still have to drink it. I tried Moviprep and pain, stomach cramps were awful. But with colon cancer years ago, I'm grateful each time colonoscopy is fine and a little nite of miralax is nothing.”

Dr. Toot · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2019

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “This is the second time I took Miralax and had an allergic reaction to it. I was on steroids before my last colonoscopy so it did not bother me. The last time I took Miralax the Dr. could barely see, almost like a poop storm without wipers. Not good prep for me. So I have to reschedule to get another polyp out. And don't ever use the word constipation or they will place you on a 3 day no food regiment. Then Draino.”

Anonymous November 2, 2011

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “With my family history of colon cancer and my bout with colon cancer, I've been getting a colonoscopy every 3 years. This past April I was told to use Miralax. It was the first time my prep was not sufficient to proceed with the procedure even though I followed the instructions exactly.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2020

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I tried the Miralax colonoscopy prep about 3 weeks ago because I didn't want to have to drink the traditional prep and it sounded less awful. BIG mistake. I did exactly as I was supposed to, liquid diet, etc., and this made me so sick, I was up with diarrhea and vomiting all night. Not only that, my 8:30am colonoscopy had to be canceled because I was nowhere near clear, even though I had taken all of it per instructions. It has taken me 3 weeks for my bowels to become normal again and I'm getting ready to do a "make-up" colonoscopy using the traditional yucky drink. At least the yuck will work. Miralax as an occasional laxative is fine, but never for colonoscopy prep, at least not for me.”

aspiesmom60 · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2013

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “My son's gastroenterologist prescribed Miralax for him stating that it would help with the discomfort caused by his extreme gasiness caused by his Aspergers syndrome, it however about a half hour after taking it caused him to have SEVERE gas pains and he "Tooted" about 60 times before his belly felt better.”

rene · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2020

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “Started this on the evening before the test After the first litre heart started racing, vision was affected migraine eye disturbances followed by migraine type headache then uncontrollable dithering / shaking. Hospital tests rule out stroke etc. Decided this prep didn't suit me. A frightening experience I didn't repeat it and my Dr switched me to a MRI.”

Joe October 3, 2020

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I am a 190 lb man and took the Miralax/Gatorade bowel prep (Dulcolax and Gas-X, then 8 oz Miralax in 64 oz Gatorade, drink for 2 hours) starting at 6:00 AM following a day of liquid diet. By 9:00 AM I had one normal bowel movement and one loose movement. I drank more water, felt bloated and nauseous, but by 10:45 I had no more bowel movements. I used a Fleet enema and stopped drinking because I was not allowed to drink any more 3 hours before my 1:00 PM colonoscopy. My colonoscopy was aborted midway due to inadequate prep. It is now 4 days later, and I still have diarrhea. I do not recommend this for a bowel prep.”

lucyl February 13, 2021

“Took the Dulcolax at 1:30 pm. Had 1 explosion about 2:30. Mixed the Miralax with lime Gatorade and drank 32 oz. at 3:30 pm. Started to the bathroom about 10 minutes later. Lasted about 45 minutes back and forth to bathroom. Took the 2nd dose at 6:30 pm. Same thing. Stools by this time were water and almost clear. Had to wake up twice during the night but was done by morning. Only thing was I was so thirsty but couldn't drink before procedure at 8:15 am. My tips...eat a low fiber diet 2 days before. Don't gorge yourself the day before (only makes you more hungry). I drank chicken broth, jello, gatorade, and apple juice. I didn't feel hungry at all. Completely clean for procedure. Got home, ate scrambled eggs and toast and took a nap. Stools back to normal within 2 days. Whole experience wasn't bad at all.”

JJ January 7, 2019

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “Have had many colonoscopies due to colon cancer in family. I had used Miralax before with no problem. This time after 4 doses I started vomiting and did not stop until the MiraLax Gatorade mixture was mostly out of my system.”

Nellie · Taken for less than 1 month August 2, 2018

ClearLax (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I used it instead of Miralax because of the nice price, but soon regretted it. Clearlax made me extremely sick. I was very nauseated with vomiting, and no pooping at all (probably because I threw up everything). I poured it all out and bought more Miralax.”

rapercha March 21, 2013

“Worked perfectly after drinking 4 Liters (10oz every 15 minutes) 2 liters the night before and 2 liters the day of, finishing 3 hours before the procedure. No side effects at all. I suggest "chasing" with white cranberry juice. This prevented any after taste and possible nausea. Taste is the only reason I gave it a nine but it really wasn%u2019t bad when chilled. Note that if you let the liquid get really cold you won%u2019t be able to drink it fast.”

Naye-Naye · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2021

“It didn't work too well for me. It took 4 hrs before the dump, and when I did it was in small quantities throughout the day and no more. The bloating was so uncomfortable, but nothing major.. Got a script for Gavilyte and that worked wonders.”

AR · Taken for less than 1 month September 20, 2018

“I had a severe allergic reaction to this drug which required that I stop taking it and get treatment. I had to reschedule my colonoscopy and take something else. The first time I had this reaction, it was to GoLytely, which is the same as CoLyte. The second time it was to MiraLAX, and that was even worse, and I ended up in the ER. Some people are allergic to polyethylene glycol.”

Anonymous January 21, 2009

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “Used the product to empty the colon prior to a Colonoscopy. Seemed to work well, no discomfort.”

Carol · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2020

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “This was my third Colonoscopy but first time with MiraLax. I ended up in the Emergency Room and spent 15 hours vomiting and had Severe Upper Abdominals Pain.”

Clwpinesause June 13, 2017

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “This helps but after you take it and poop, etc. You may loose control of your bowels if you laugh or anything like that it will make you poop without wanting to.”

Tj · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2019

MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350): “I took the MiraLax and it never even began to clean the bowel. It was a wasted Consultant visit and day of prep on clear liquids.”