User Reviews for Phenylephrine

Also known as: Sudafed PE Congestion, Neo-Synephrine, Biorphen, Nasop, Vazculep, Suphedrine PE, Nasal Decongestant PE, Despec-SF, Sudogest PE, Nasop12, Dimetapp Toddler's Drops Decongestant, Congest Aid II, AH-Chew D, Gilchew IR, Little Colds Decongestant Contac-D Ricobid-D Sudafed PE Children's Nasal Decongestant …show all brand names

Nasal Congestion 6.6
Summary of Phenylephrine reviews 6.6 14 reviews

Reviews for Phenylephrine

JP · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2019

For Nasal Congestion: “I had the little red pill of phenylephrine and they just did not work at all.”

Melbaver · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2019

For Nasal Congestion: “I have been a long time Sudafed original user the one that contained pseudoephridrine. I would rate it 11/10. Usually I have a script and am able to get it from my local pharmacy, despite it being a so-called magnet for bikie gangs making ICE. I tried the little red pills they brought out with moderate success. Then I tried Sudafed PE, just to be sure I'm not bagging the wrong thing, the little grey pills, and had the worst reaction of all time. As an ex-smoker I know I'm a candidate for COPD down the track, but these tablets brought on a wheeze that lasted for over 11 hours. It's on the pack as a warning, but pharmacists should issue their own warning....NOT suitable for anyone with dodgy lungs. Just wish they'd bring back original, taking them off the general market was just a cop out.”

Anonymous August 17, 2018

For Nasal Congestion: “Had the flu and pharmacist told me to take this for nasal congestion. It did not work at all.”

Ivanisgreat · Taken for less than 1 month May 23, 2018

For Nasal Congestion: “People say that this drug isn’t effective but it really is for me. I have tried so many drugs in the past for nasal relief and this drug works wonders for me. Whenever I have a really bad stuffy nose, I turn to phenylephrine because it works. ”

Me February 25, 2018

Sudafed PE Congestion (phenylephrine): “On a Saturday morning I was seen and told by an ER doctor to buy Sudafed for a severe sore throat and take every 4 hours. I did not have a cold or congestion or strep. I bought Sudafed PE. Sunday I continued to get worse and Monday morning I woke up with a swollen throat, face and lips and drove to urgent care where I was promptly treated for anaphylaxis.”

dhMILTY December 6, 2017

For Nasal Congestion: “Taking Phenelephrine before bed time allows me to breath all night thru nose while wearing sleep apnea mask which I could not do most nights. I take one 10mg pill before bedtime only, do not use at any other time. Has also stopped my post nasal drip problem.”

some lady September 7, 2017

For Nasal Congestion: “I have read so much about this medication not working. But I don't suffer from a runny nose or congestion exactly. I have allergies that make my sinuses swell shut, and its very painful. Other than good old benadryl, there is no other medication that is even slightly effective for me. I'm curious to find out if anyone has used it for a similar problem and had positive results. All I have seen is that it's a placebo. And I can say with confidence, that is not the case for me.”

as3 September 15, 2016

For Nasal Congestion: “Just doesn't work”

momtoo3 January 12, 2016

For Nasal Congestion: “This medication has been a life saver for me in getting my ears to drain. I suffer from year round allergies and have been diagnosed with eustachian tube disfunction. This is the only medication that works to keep my ears drained so I don't get an ear infection. I only take 10 mg. total daily broken into 2- 5 mg. doses. To those that this med does not work, I say they are very wrong. I have tried regular psuedofed and had to stop it due to excessive nervousness and insomnia. This med on the other hand works great. I have been taking it daily for 20 yrs and have to due to the my allergies/ ear disfunction. If I miss a few days doses, I get an ear infection every time.”

be2 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 27, 2015

For Nasal Congestion: “Doesn't work. Pseudoephedrine works the best for me”

Rosknheels August 18, 2015

Sudafed PE Congestion (phenylephrine) for Nasal Congestion: “Excellent to relieve pain and pressure when taking off and landing in an airplane.”

RavensFeather · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 25, 2013

For Nasal Congestion: “At 67, I have asthma due to formaldahyde exposure. I over-react to most allopathic meds and am accustomed to using tumeric for inflammation and Aloe vera for nearly everything else. I'm generally in excellent health, with all values from an annual blood draw in the "ideal" range. In an attempt to avoid allopathic inhalers, I tried several over the counter meds, settling on Phenylephrine as effective, inexpensive, and having no apparent side effects for me, the canary in the coal mine. Even though it is not even suggested for asthma, this permits me to live an active life of hiking in the redwood forests and dunes of coastal northern California.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2012

For Nasal Congestion: “I took it at the recommendation of a pharmacist specifically for chronic post-nasal drip. I've taken a lot of things and I can tell you that it worked within 40 minutes.. I don't think I can take it forever, but I'm hoping that before the 7 days is out, this will be cleared up permanently.”

grandma832 October 26, 2009

For Nasal Congestion: “After 125 standard allergy tests and told "no reaction" I was pronounced as having "chronic non-allergic vasomotor rhinitis". I truly believe that my biggest problem was from corticosteroid nasal sprays prescribed, but never overused. I've found phenylephrine has helped in a variable increased dose. When the wind blows primarily in the fall, whatever is out there causes my problem. If I take 2 10mg to start my day, I'm in good shape with the regular dose the rest of the day.”

sickandtireddd August 15, 2007

For Nasal Congestion: “I just searched peer-reviewed journals and found NO EVIDENCE SUPPORTING THE EFFECTIVENESS OF PHENYLEPHRINE. "Phenylephrine, at the FDA-approved dose of 10 mg for adults, is unlikely to provide relief of nasal congestion. It has poor oral bioavailability because of extensive first-pass metabolism in the gut and liver.3 Only 38% of the dose reaches the systemic circulation,3 compared with 90% of a pseudoephedrine dose.4 Moreover, in a randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study of 3 oral decongestants in 20 patients with chronic nasal stuffiness, phenylephrine was no more effective than placebo in reducing nasal airway resistance" From the Department of Pharmacy Practice, College of Pharmacy, University of Florida, and the Drug Information Center, Shands Hospital at the University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla”