User Reviews for Benicar to treat High Blood Pressure

Benicar Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Benicar

Two Doses · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2020

“I was put on Benicar as an additional BP medication due to a Vitamin B Deficiency of 2 years. Took 2, yes 2 doses, of 5mg one in A.M. & one at P.M. Suffered from every side effect listed very quickly. Don’t know why they even tried it on me as I have damaged kidneys & a heart condition. It pushed my BP even higher & bad chest pain. Benicar should be outlawed. Was put on Lisinopril 20mg today. I’m one who normally gets the worse of side effects of most medications. This was the worst. Glad I acted quickly.”

LYNN · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2020

“I was given Benicar 20 mg in Jan 2020 for BP. I was on it 10 days then was rushed to hospital with severe chest pains and difficulty breathing. I was kept for "observation" while stress tests were done. All good thank goodness, but the chest pains remained. Then I read the "more serious side effects" ... chest pains was #2 !!! Don't give me a pill that is going to cause more problems and less quality of life!!!”

Lois · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 25, 2020

“Was switched from Losartan to Benicar due to recall of Losartan. First week was ok, some nausea which was helped with taking with food. Have been on it about 6 months and have had multiple issues but had not thought related until recently. Awful head fullness in morning, migraines, steady headache most of the day, lower leg pain, not able to sleep, and then filling like my ears are blocked and was treated for middle ear infection several times due to constant ear pain and vertigo, dizziness. Very blurry vision, floaters Finally started looking at all my medications and found that when I moved Benicar to later in day, the nausea, dizziness and fatigue occurred within an hour of taking. It did great at lowering my bp, but side effects are awful! After discussion with doctor and safe Losartan again available I am switching back. This drug is just not for me. Hoping things settled down once it is out of my system.”

NikiG · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 2, 2020

“This medicine caused me to have pain in my ankles. 3 doctors didn’t believe that it was the medicine and ordered autoimmune tests which was negative. I finally insisted they change my medicine to Lisinopril. After being on the medicine for a full month after suffering for a year and a half, my ankle pain is gone! So annoyed after wasted money spent on tests and trip to rheumatologist.”

Youngin · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 5, 2019

“Hi! I was diagnosed with high blood pressure (HBP) at the young age of 14, I weighed about 100lbs at the time. I've been taking benicar for about 4 years, previously lisinopril 40 mg. I started 20mg of benicar and blood pressure was not controlled. So I was put on 40mg, I would take it everyday and I would get so tired. So I told a new doctor and she said decrease back to 20mg, so I did and switch my time taking it to bedtime. It puts me to sleep, however after 4 straight nights of it I wake up so drained have no energy and feel a little confused. I too have breathing problems but assumed my asthma was getting worse. I've been asking for a new medicine, with no luck. I'll be honest I hope for the weight gain, I could use some of that but it hasn't happened. Hopefully I can get off of this soon!”

starcake · Taken for 10 years or more August 4, 2019

“I was diagnosed with hypertension at 24 years old. I started benicar HCT then. 12 years later, I am still taking this med and wouldn't take anything else for my BP. It is very well controlled and I feel absolutely relaxed after taking it. They tried to force the generic version which doesn't work. I get regular labs done and I feel just fine!”

Lmh April 22, 2019

“Benicar should have been recalled in 2013 when the first signs of problems occurred. I see they settled the law suit but what about the ones with the stomach issues or maybe cancer..???”

Angel · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 24, 2019

“Benicar was not a good medication for me. I experienced awful side effects. Stiffing of the body, very painful joint pain most at night, leg pain, daily stomach pains (thought I had cancer), chest pains, diarrhea, bloating, difficulty in walking, could barely walk a block without getting out of breathe and needed an inhaler, I had swelling of tongue, face, feet, weight gain and some depression due to dealing with all these issues. One day after seeing my reflection in a large window at work, I was shocked to see how hunched I was and full off pain. I was never like this and how did this happen? I started to believe I must be ageing. I realized the only change in life was this medication and insisted it switched. Once removed the critical side effects stopped except with ongoing digestive issues.”

Dre · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2019

“I've been taking benicar 40 mg and amlodipine 5 mg for 2 weeks. BP is slowly dropping but I'm having erection problems...I'm thinking that it is the amlodipine because I've have that problem with it before. Remember guys any diuretic is likely to cause impotence in men so if it has hctz behind it...it's a diuretic. I'm going to just stop taking the amlodipine and see it that works”

Nikki · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2019

“Ended up in ER had taken generic form Olmesartan 20mgms every night at bed time for 3 weeks. I felt ok until one early evening I was out felt weak nauseated, and actually fainted while sitting down first time ever in my life , luckily med staff were near. I went to ER and BP recorded very low 60 over.? Blood work showed kidney function impaired , very frightening and traumatic for my family to see.”

Mike · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 30, 2018

“I've had uncontrolled high blood pressure for years. I was taking or had taken multitudes of meds for it. Diuretics, beta-blockers, calcium channel blockers, etc. Finally benicar was tried and wow...normal blood pressure for the 1st time in 20 years! I don't get the side effects like many here either. I'm still taking my diuretics and B-blocker as well, and switched to the generic version of olmesartan (insurance). For me, Benicar (olmesartan) is a miracle drug.”

Lola July 20, 2018

“Have taken Benicar for 10 years or so. Blood pressure around 123/70. When forced by insurance to take generic, now 156/89. In the past, I got name brand with $42.00 a month co-pay. In order to get name brand now my co-pay would be around $290.00 a month. Outrageous! Switching to something else.”

KimRN · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 11, 2018

“It help control my blood pressure but the side effects were terrible leg spasms and cramps.”

Becky · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2018

“I have just turned 66 years old 4/30/18. I've have been taking Benicar HCT for 6 months. Have been very sick with persistent uncontrollable diarrhea (have it right after eating anything), extreme shortness of breath (so bad that I had a lung scan done...was negative), dizziness (had to stand slowly and in place until stabilized), debilitating fatigue (couldn’t hold out to do anything, taking a bath was so tiring ) muscle/joint pain (hard to walk...walked with limp), nausea (had to take antinausea medication frequently), sleeping problems (couldn’t stay awake and sometimes problems falling asleep and staying asleep), weight gain (approximately 20 pounds in 6 months), and bloating (felt full all the time). But no more, I stopped taking it on my own without doctor approval after my research of the side effects. Been off for 2 days and remarkable difference.”

Vike · Taken for less than 1 month April 15, 2018

“Been on beta blockers, clonidine, lisinipril over the last year. The beta blockers an I don't get along. I actually had higher bp over time on them. Clonidine is super at reducing pressure, but are intolerable daily. Benicar for me is fantastic. No side effects and keeps pressure in check at 20mg once a day. I demanded the real thing as generic beta blockers caused me problems. I do not trust generic quality. So far, Benicar is the best drug I can imagine for blood pressure patients.”

Reese · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2018

“I have been on Benicar 20/12.5 for 10 years and my blood pressure has been normal 110/65. I had to switch to the generic be cause of insurance reasons and I experienced all kinds of side effects: dizziness, cough, and higher blood pressure. It is not the same.”

Jim · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2018

“Benicar kept my HBP down to normal for years. Aside from fatigue and subsequent weight gain I felt no ill effects as long as I took it at bedtime. However now that the generic form is being pushed by the pharmacies my HBP is back with a vengence. The systolic number went from years at 123 to 190 in 2 months. The worthless generic substitute is Olmesartan Medoxomil! This experience has totally changed my opinion about generic drugs and where they are made. I reported this to the FDA because I was on the verge of having a stroke because of this generic Benicar.”

Anonymous August 13, 2017

“I've been on Benicar HCT 20mg/12.5mg for 3 week now this medicine has some bad side effects I've experienced light headed, dizziness, cough feel like my chest feel tight sometime muscle aches tired all the time..does anybody else experience these side effects..when you tell your doctor what your experience they thinks it's not the medicine we know our bodies..”

Kissie March 24, 2017

“I took Benicar for 12 years or more and went through the leg cramps etc. but it worked well on my BP. I would get kidney infections occasionally but didn't know why. One day a few years ago I came down with painful gout. My new doctor took me off Benicar right away. She said it contributed to my gout flare ups because it affected my kidneys. I was so angry because I didn't know and hadn't read up on it. Have your kidneys check regularly while taking this med. Now through diet and another BP med I do well with the Gout, however I wish I hadn't taken Benicar so long and had it affect my kidneys. Be careful!”

Chuckiep · Taken for less than 1 month August 30, 2016

“I took 20 MG Benicar as an alternative to Lisinopril which caused a cough. With Benicar, the cough went away after a few weeks but a new side effect took its place: I would wake up in the middle of the night with a sore chest and upper back pain. Its a shame because during the day, Benicar had no apparent side effect and kept BP at 128/79.”

blue_s_k · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 31, 2016

“Had active life style was able to do 40-50 min tread mill workout (Run/Walk) and was able to participate in outdoor soccer. Lost gf, grandmother died , horrible boss in new job in 3 month = 189/125 diagnosed accidentally First 20mg (85% effective) , then 40 mg worked Blood pressure: Normal , weight gain 30 pound added Other impacts Cramps while playing soccer. Enhanced sensation of muscle fatigue (post hitting ball) or muscle in body. Next day feel effects. Stopped running / bike- ride rowing ok Flaky Rash on elbows dime size /now double (Use moisturizer / Nivea aftershave on it works). Weight gain depression 3 hours after taking Meds, lazy Potassium sports drink helped muscle recovery feel good (Doctor say don't take potassium”

Mike 1348 July 24, 2016

“I give this medicine a 5 because it does lower your blood pressure but unfortunately the side effects are pretty bad. I was diagnosed with hypertension at 25 and before benicar I never had a dizzy spell in my life. Now dizzy spells are just part of life as well as fatigue and breathing issues. It's not all the time but a few times a week I just feel unwell. I think this is a good medicine for an older person who just needs to get the numbers down but it's terrible for a young active person.”

God's Child · Taken for less than 1 month July 4, 2016

“I was taking a different pill at first but my doctor decided it wasn't working to lower my pressure enough, so they said we are going to try you on this one. I took one the next day since I had already taken my old pill. The first day the pill did lower my blood pressure with no problems. The second day I took it my pressure was still at a good number. I did not later when I tried to sleep I couldn't. Each time I would fall asleep it was hard for me to breath and a few times that I woke up my heart was beating differently and I had some pain in my chest. I won't be taking this medication anymore. I will lower it the natural way by watching what I eat, walking and with God's help I will be just fine.”

Bad poison June 24, 2016

“This is the worst medication I have ever taken! It was poison to me! Severe lower back pain so bad had to walk with 2 canes! Thought it was sciatica , had extreme bladder pain, headaches , burning itching feet, severe , constipation , stomach pain so bad I ended up in emergency room! And ended up with upper respitory infection, My primary care took me off this garbage , all symptoms seem to be going away! Just a warning before you take this poison ask questions and read up on it!!!!!”

zapp · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 6, 2016

“Beware!! This med worked well to lower bp, but I have been on 40mg for 3 years now this slowly caused problems I didn't catch on to immediately such as severe pain in feet top and bottom like planter fasciitis extremely painful to walk on. Stiffness in legs like bad arthritis pains woke up so stiff. Possibly caused depression weight gain and lack of sex drive. Fatigue. No energy also was diagnosed with under active thyroid. Also diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Stopped taking Metformin for 2 weeks now only noticed slight improvement in foot pain. Been off of Benicar for 5 days seeing improvement each day pain in feet going away also stiffness going away I'm 50 y.o female felt like 90 years old body in so much pain.”