User Reviews for Benicar to treat High Blood Pressure (Page 3)

Benicar Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Benicar

Anonymous November 30, 2011

“I've taken my first dose of Benicar (olmesartan medosomil) 40 mg. I have felt some atrial fibrillation. My doctor wants me to try it for two weeks and a follow-up visit in thirty days to treat hypertension 160/110/105. Previously, I was taking diltiazem 240 mg, that was not lowering my blood pressure. Also, my hair started coming out in large amounts when combed, after only two weeks.”

LBailey10 July 30, 2011

“I started Benicar two weeks ago for extremely high blood pressure 220/105. After two weeks my blood prezssure is now down to 140/80. I do feel much better. More energy. The only complaint I have are the muscle/leg cramps, aches I get every night. Nothing helps. I am on 40mg of Benicar once a day. I will call my doctor and see if there is any solution for the muscle aches. Otherwise I am very happy with the results.”

ACE09 July 14, 2011

“Just started this medication, I am 26/M/in fairly good shape, work out 4 to 5 times a week so I don't really know why my blood pressure is high but anyway. Took my 2nd dose yesterday, jogged this morning at the gym and hit "the wall" HARD. Felt short of breath and chest pain. Maybe this will go away once I get used to the medication. PS. taking 20mg.”

azray June 20, 2011

“If you are having problems with Benicar, TRY TAKING YOUR DOSE AT NIGHT BEFORE YOU GO TO BED. It took me almost a year to finally figure it out. Plus, you will sleep much better. Give it some time. Most blood pressure medicines make you pee a lot. THIS IS A GOOD THING. Even if you hate getting up to pee a lot, your body is flushing out the sodium from your body. Make sure you drink enough water throughout the day so you have something to expel. Water is good for you anyway, helps you digest better and helps you lose weight. Ditch the caffeinated drinks, coffee, sodas (diet too). Hope this helps. ”

kitkat1955 May 11, 2011

“I've been taking Benicar for about 2 years now. Every other medicine tended to make my feet and ankles swell badly, but this medicine is great. My blood pressure is consistently about 110/70 (sometimes lower). No side effects. I take it in the mornings and do not have a problem with drowsiness, even though I'm really prone to this side effect with other medicines. I just wish my insurance covered it on their formulary. As it is I pay $45/month. This, in combination with the diabetic medicines and supplies, really takes a toll on my budget. But I guess the results are worth it. As a state worker in California, though, I may have to investigate less expensive options soon! ”

Anonymous February 26, 2011

“I was first put on lisinopril but it made me cough. Switched to Benicar and it has worked good. I take a half of 20mg in the mornings. No side effects to report. My blood pressure was just a little high and it lowered into normal range.”

bigmike17 February 4, 2011

“I had been taking Diovan for several years and it worked well, but the cost became prohibitive ($120 month) so my Doctor switched me to Benicar HTZ. Benicar HTZ worked almost too well and my blood pressure frequently was in the 109/50's. After about a month I began noticing a lack of sex drive and then soft erections. I have since switched back to Diovan.”

Tarheel girl January 31, 2011

“I have been very pleased with the effectiveness of Benicar 20mg. I started out taking Benicar 20/12.5mg and the 12.5 HCTZ caused dizziness and light-headedness after several days of use. So I requested the plain Benicar 20mg without the HCTZ diuretic and I have felt much better, no problems at all. My blood pressure has stayed at 120/78, and often it is even lower. I take it once daily and go about my normal routine.”

bsmith57 January 11, 2011

“Was put on Benicar 20mg twice a day after suffering a stroke, works great with other meds that I'm taking due to stents. Tried other blood pressure meds, but none of them works as well as the Benicar”

Anonymous December 12, 2010

“I'm taking Benicar 40mg for High Blood Pressure 163/100 on average I'm slightly overweight (47. Benicar has actually reduced my dizziness I had prior to taking blood pressure medicines. I tried water pills but blood pressure got worse. My doctor knows I'm the kind of patient that will stop taking medicines that bother me so she skipped the lisinopril and went straight for the Benicar and I'm glad she did although day 4 now and my blood pressure is 124/58 ...sort of low after being in the 100's a few days ago. Maybe I'll need the 20mg but love the focus and energy I have again and the looser bowels are an additional perk! Knees stopped hurting from arthritis too.”

Anonymous October 24, 2010

“Benicar has been very effective at lowering my blood pressure and I've experienced no side effects. I was worried that it may affect my sex drive but it hasn't.”

tinahdez September 22, 2010

“Suffered most of the side effects.”

tmar13 August 6, 2010

“I have been taking Benicar for about 6 months now and all I can say is WOW! My blood pressure is 124/80 and, needless to say, I'm very happy. So far, no side effects either.”

Anonymous August 2, 2010

“Switched over to Benicar from lisinopril (which caused horrendous body jolting chronic cough) Cough has disappeared, blood pressure averages 116/74 to 124/80 maximum. Feel great, mild sleepiness by end of day - a plus - could not sleep well before, also constipation has disappeared. Cramping in legs below knees at night...somewhat like side effects of statin. Will check with doctor..this is my 2nd week of Benicar..took lisinopril for a month. Hope this continues to work. If I miss a dose I become keenly aware. Seems to take effect within an hour. I feel much better and blood pressure readily stabilizes. ”

Anonymous June 21, 2010

“As of today, it's two weeks since I started taking Benicar 40/12.5mg. Wow, what an experience. I don't take any other medicines for ANYTHING. I do take vitamins and supplements. My blood pressure now is so great that it helps me deal with the side effects better. I have lightheadedness, spontaneous increase in heart beats, light muscle aches all of these I didn't have before taking Benicar. It took at least a week and a half for my system to adjust. I'll continue on with it and hopefully after significant weight loss I will come off altogether. Until then, I'll take the 123/75 blood pressure any day!”

Anonymous June 10, 2010

“Very quickly effective in lowering blood pressure. Seems to have few side effects.”

Scott Z April 15, 2010

“I tried some others before getting this one and though they were effective, experienced a variety of side-effects. This one worked well from the start without any side effects! Love it!”

nckll April 12, 2010

“I have been on Benicar 20mg for about 2 years for high blood pressure and headaches caused by stenosis and a bad disk in my neck. I know within a couple of hours if I have missed my dose. My blood pressure elevates, headaches with loss of balance, dizziness, sensitivity to light and my neck muscles knot up. For the past several months I have experienced leg and feet swelling on a regular basis. If it wasn't for Benicar, I would have had neck surgery several years ago.”

Anonymous December 11, 2009

“Once accustomed to Benicar 20 mg., I love it. After trying Lisinopril for just one day, I kissed the bottle of Benicar! But best of all, my arthritis pain in my knees has gone away - an amazing bonus.”

jstbngme October 8, 2009

“I've been taking Benicar HCT 40/25 for a couple of years my blood pressure has gone down. Then I started having trouble with some side effects rapid heartbeat and some thyroid issues.”

Anonymous October 3, 2009

“Have been using Benicar 20mg for a couple of years now (age 47). Slight dizziness first week after hard exercise in sun (bike riding up steep hill, singles tennis in 85 degree sun). Doctor suggested taking at night before bedtime. Now no problems. Was 140 /95 . Now 122/70 still exercising (tennis, biking) 3-4 days per week without dizziness. Feels like no side effects. Love it.”

Anonymous August 27, 2009

“I just started taking this medicine, and it makes me dizzy.”

Anonymous July 5, 2009

“My doctor put me on Benicar HCT about 7 years ago. I was the type of person who hated to take medication so I didn't take it consistently. I think that is why I finally realized every time I would take a pill I would wake up during the night with severe leg cramps. I told my doctor about it and he changed my prescription to plain Benicar. After that I take it regularly and have no side effects or problems at all and it keeps my blood pressure level at 110/70.”

Anonymous June 22, 2009

“I've been taking Benicar 20mg/12.5 HCT for about 7 years and it works great. It keeps my blood pressure down to 120-125/75-80. I do experience dizziness and light-headiness frequently but I sit at a desk most of the day at work so it's no big deal. I also cannot stay out in the sun long at all. I don't know if this is a side effect of Benicar but also 2 years ago I started getting vision "Floaters" and had to change to another prescription twice. I'm only 43 and my vision is no longer 20/20 and can only get 20/40 with corrective lenses. Eye doctor doesn't see anything wrong and says 20/40 is okay. I'll get a 2nd opinion just in case. Also I started getting flushing or "red face and neck" about 3 years ago. It comes and goes. Benicar is the only medicine I use.”

soccermom71 May 28, 2009

“I have been using Benicar for about a year now and it is great. It is one of those medicines that I can't TELL I'm taking. No real side effects, I was taking it at night before I went to bed but I was waking up to go to the bathroom a lot. Now I take it mid morning and I still have to go to the bathroom a lot but at least it isn't waking me up. On the days I forget I realize it because I'm not going to the bathroom 1/2 as much as when I do. For whatever that's worth. Great medication though and glad I started after being very resistant about going to the doctor.”