User Reviews for Ortho Micronor

Ortho Micronor has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 117 ratings on Drugs.com. 50% of those users who reviewed Ortho Micronor reported a positive effect, while 35% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control
Amenorrhea
Summary of Ortho Micronor reviews 5.9 117 reviews

Reviews for Ortho Micronor

blue661 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 15, 2021

For Birth Control: “I've been on this for almost 4 years. My opinion is this, look: it gets the job done. I have a history of migraines with aura so this is pretty much the only birth control pill I can take in Canada. I lightly spotted for like the first 4 months I was on this, especially during sex, but once you get past that time, you don't spot any more and your periods become very light, a bit irregular and sometimes you don't get them at all, but again this is my only option and abortion is free here so I don't worry too much about that and trust that the birth control is doing its job. Didn't have any weight gain, acne or other side effects. Its just reallllllllly annoying to have to take within the same three hours every day as its very difficult for me to pick a time to be able to take it every day of the week indefinitely.”

SD · Taken for less than 1 month January 21, 2021

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I have been on this pill for 22 days for abnormal, frequent, heavy periods. I'm 44 years old. I felt much sleepier than usual (which I don't mind, as an anxious person!) and my breasts have been large and very painful the entire time. I started spotting on the 17th day and by day 18 I started a very heavy, extremely painful period that is still going strong on day 6. I never miss work and was in bed almost all day yesterday. This is a worse period than my usual but the PMS was less bad and it came an extra week later which was nice. Not sure if I can continue though!”

SAMPpract December 11, 2020

For Birth Control: “I was having heavy periods causing some minor issues with my iron levels & affecting my ability to work. In 3 months, I have had a total of 27 days without bleeding of some sort. These non-bleeding days have not happened all at once but a day here & there. I have had spotting that varies from very light to "is this a period?" amount. I've had extra periods. I've had an increase in the number of clots produced. I went from using 30 tampons and 10-20 pads per month to using around 96 tampons and 30-45 pads per month. My last period started almost a week early & lasted 12 days. 3 of those days produced so much clotting that I couldn't work because I needed to change my tampon every hour because the clots were oozing out. My gynecologist has decided I need an "emergency" exam due to the amount of bleeding & clotting that has happened & to see what our next step is since this pill has made my issues much worse.”

AC May 1, 2020

For Birth Control: “I have tried every type of birth control, from implants to IUDS to rings to 5 different types of combined BCPs, but Ortho Micronor is my favorite. I take generic micronor and it has the least amount of side effects of any hormonal birth control method I have ever used. It’s the only pill that doesn’t cause me mood swings. I have not had any notable extra acne, no facial hair, no weight gain. All other combined pills made me emotional, weepy, agitated and irritable. I have PMDD and Yaz actually made it worse. I will take Norethindrone for as long as I can. It’s been the best yet for me. I know every body is different, but I wish I tried this sooner, I would have saved myself a lot of painful and emotional trial and error.”

Neonsnow February 15, 2016

For Birth Control: “I had a blood clot during my first pregnancy and this is the only thing they could prescribe. I have been taking it for 7 days and I'm moody, crampy, my face broke out (I have clear skin),no sex drive, spacey, I'm extremely tired and I'm so overly hungry. I'm very athletic so it's frustrating. Birth control is ridiculous. I have never found a good one. Even the IUD moved twice! Where the hell is male birth control?”

EM09 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 6, 2013

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “This medication was amazing at the beginning, but now it has caused severe moodiness and abnormal uterine bleeding. (I've had 2 full periods in 3 weeks) and somedays I start spotting and get cramps even though I take my pills on time.”

Hearthstonehymnal · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 31, 2020

For Birth Control: “So, to start I very quickly gained 80 pounds in 3 months while on Ortho Micronor birth control pill. I’m a naturally tiny 120 pounds so this was drastic. Then I got burning headaches accompanied with severe suicidal tendencies. Lastly, I was hospitalized for speech loss from the headaches. I also started drooling and went to strict mumbling for responding to people. Oh and my periods were severe on these, I later discovered even with endo I had lighter periods. Please reconsider this cancerous drug.”

Jennie · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2020

For Birth Control: “Hi. I’m reaching out because I’ve been experiencing a really weird side effect symptom when taking progesterone-only BC. Overall, side effects have been minimal... light cramping, nausea and headaches, but nothing I can’t handle. The issue is insomnia. I had the same problem when I tried a hormonal IUD. I don’t know why, and I can’t find any literature on the issue, but it seems an increase in progesterone blocks my ability to fall and stay asleep. I was taking different sleep meds to try to help, but after about a week and half, I had to go off of the Micronor. I just can’t function without adequate sleep. It’s very frustrating because otherwise, this pill would work. Has anyone else had this issue? Does it go away ?”

L · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2020

For Birth Control: “Two months in, very pleased with micronor birth control pill. I have been searching for a method of birth control that doesn't eliminate my sex drive or make me moody, and this one is gold so far. (Have tried ring and patch) My period has changed, however - it comes every 2.5 weeks, as opposed to every 4. So periods happen twice as often but are half as heavy. It's worth it to me, period is still regular and predictable, my mood feels as stable as it was when I was not taking anything, and my sex drive is the same too! My partner and I are very fertile (2 abortions) and so far no preggos.”

Myra in Foothill Ranch, CA February 9, 2012

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “After multiple surgeries, office procedures and test done on me the results are low progesterone. My doctor put me on this pill. For the last two months and now into my third pack of pills I no longer have heavy long periods. I do recall missing a dose and/or taking my pill late caused me to have a period and/or spotting and/or long heavy periods. Now, I make sure I take them every day at the same time clockwise %u2026 so far it works and I have not had a period or spotting in about 35 days. I am not pregnant; occasionally, I get a light headache or feel a little dizzy and realize that I need to eat something; after I eat, the light headache and little dizziness goes away. I've lost weight vs. gain weight from the pill. ”

Abanana January 27, 2020

For Birth Control: “Don't let reviews scare you, everyone's body will react differently to different types of BC, that's why there are SO many types. I have been using Micronor for 7 years. The first few months, I had the regular side effects your body has when adjusting to the hormone changes (Cramps, bleeding, bloating, tender breasts, etc). After 3-6 months, my body was mostly back to normal. You need to take the pill at the same time everyday. If you don't take your pill on time, breakthrough bleeding could happen. This pill is NOT for you if you cannot keep a consistent schedule when it comes to taking your BC. Irregular bleeding and inconsistent periods WILL most likely happen. Personally, it made my periods better since my cramps before would cause me extreme agony. Coming down to sex, I have used condoms, pull out, or full unprotected sex and no pregnancy. The pill is 91% effective, not 100%, so don't be upset if you get pregnant. Having sex always opens the chance of pregnancy.”

LoveUA January 31, 2013

For Birth Control: “This birth control did prevent me from getting pregnant which is the main concern. However, I have never bled so much in my life. I am someone that has always had perfect periods without birth control. I went from that to bleeding three weeks out of the month and it never would stop. It wasn't necessarily heavy bleeding, but it is very aggravating to bleed constantly. This medicine also made me have acne and I normally have very clear skin. It made me have mood swings that my husband noticed. He even asked me when his nice wife was coming back. I decided after giving this three months to go to a permanent birth control method. ”

i love this pill so much! October 5, 2013

For Birth Control: “I've been on it about a year, and love it. It took a few months for my body to settle into it. The combined oral birth control pill gave me problems of high blood pressure, etc. No pregnancy, only one month where my period was about a week and a half late and after that I had two periods a month for two months. Now I've settled back into it. I have actually lost weight and before I started dieting my breast size had increased by about a cup size. It was great! I still like it and then I'm happy to continue it.”

Mommy2go · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 6, 2017

For Birth Control: “I love Micronor. I have been on it for 2 years, and I'm about to get off it cause I want kids. For the first 3 months, I had some side effects ( tender breast, bloating, cramping, breakthrough bleeding) But after those 3 months, it was PER-FECT! No symptoms, no mood swings ( unless PMS), and sometimes, I would just not have my period, which was fun on summertime. I had tried Alesse, Yaz, Nuvaring, all of them giving me the worst headaches and weightgain. On Micronor, no weight gain, I was dieting so I managed to go from 130 to 115 pounds in two years on that pill. :)”

Ldeca July 9, 2013

For Birth Control: “I have been taking this birth control for about 7 months now. Overall it is a very. It took me about a month to get used to it and I had 4 or 5 months after that, that were excellent. Some people would get spotting when they were even a half hour late taking this, I had no problem whatsoever when I'd take it late. In the last couple of months, however, I have been having a period every 2 weeks. Sometimes the second one would be more spotting than bleeding, but still very annoying. Also, I have gone up 2 cups sizes since taking this medication. No real noticeable weight gain otherwise, just much larger breasts! ”

CanadianS · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2014

For Birth Control: “I started taking this, because my doctor said that this pill uses a hormone similar to progesterone (what the human body produces). The other pills I've tried (Tri-Cyclen, Yasmin) use estrogen, which is more likely to cause blood clots, heart attack, high blood pressure and stroke. I had minor spotting, and then no period at all. I have had a few headaches, but I am not sure if they're related. I've also had WAY less of an appetite, which was usually the opposite when I took birth control in pill form. I'd love to have a more natural form of birth control, but at this point, I'm happy with Micronor as a solution.”

VenusThai May 6, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I'm 41 and have had heavy periods for 3 years. I was bleeding for 10 straight days before seeing my OB. I did test and vaginal ultrasounds and and my OB says everything looks fine. She put me on Micronor bcs of my HBP and bcs of my age. I was having break through bleeding for 3 weeks after starting on Micronor. After the 3 weeks, I guess I had my period bcs it was heavier. I still had a little spotting afterwards and thankfully it tampered off after a few days. Now no blood, it stopped and I'm period free. I'm now on my first week of my second pack. I don't really have any side effects, just a little hungrier but no weight gain yet. My complexion is fine, no mood swings, my sex life is fine, no depression either.”

Teet · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 16, 2016

For Birth Control: “I was prescribed micronor because I get migraines and I can't take combination birth control. I have had ZERO side effects aside from my period stopping, which is ideal (for me). I've been taking it for about a year now while with my long-term partner and we have a lot of unprotected sex and I haven't gotten pregnant.”

amarie92 May 11, 2015

For Birth Control: “I was on a combo pill for years before Micronor and it was the worst. I had terrible mood swings, weight gain, increase in appetite and low sex-drive, and the headaches were TERRIBLE. Once I started getting aura-migraines, my doctor made me switch. I thought Micronor would be just as bad, or worse. Thankfully, however, everything has been good! I've only noticed around a 8lb weight gain and it pretty much all went to my chest, I went from barely a B to a full C. Can't complain about that, lol. My only real complaint is that my face, which has always been clear even throughout my teenage years, now breaks out every so often. No mood swings, decreased appetite, upped sex drive, bigger boobs, regular periods, and no babies. Go Micronor!”

Sarah the University Student · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 17, 2016

For Birth Control: “I started using micronor because I heard it lacked estrogen and I heard it was a healthier method of birth control. I'm surprised by all the poor reviews because I had absolutely no problem with this pill. I'm 5"4 and 120 pounds, and I never work out. I had no weight gain, no depression/moodiness, no lowered Lobito, etc. So don't get scared off by the reviews, everybody's different. I combined this medication with a condom, because I've heard its common to get pregnant on this pill. For that reason I'm ending my use this month (after 8-9 months) and switching to the combined pill Alesse, because I wanna try condomless sex with my partner. Give it a try :) you can always stop using it if you have issues.”

BriiRoma1 June 30, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I have been on plenty of birth control methods.. From the ring, patch, IUD and pills. Nothing seemed to work , then (as a health care professional) I decided to research and try Norethindrone (ortho Micronor) .. This was the best decision, sharobel and Micronor are my favorites! No weight gain (like I've had on others), no anxiety issues/depression..sex drive is the same. I will NOT go back to anything else! I'm so grateful ”

mellys September 23, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I have been on this for about 6 months now after being on desagestoral and constant bleeding. Seem to be on 26-28 day cycle and bleeding lasts between 4 and 6 days but 2 weeks after I get another period. My mood is often low on this pill and I often feel weepy. The cycle is doing my head in now and I'm terrified there's something wrong with me. Want to just stop but scared I'll always be this messed up. Anyone else experienced this? I'm 38.”

Anonymous October 23, 2011

For Birth Control: “I am a healthy, active, college student, and I have experienced no negative side effects from this pill. I was scared to start it because so many other users gave it bad reviews, but I've been on it for 3 months and I've had no bad side effects at all. I'm also not pregnant so the pill seems to be working correctly. Micronor hasn't changed my moods or made me gain weight. The only noticeable change has been my breast size. Within the first month of taking Micronor, my bra size increased from a C to a D. I use condoms with Micronor to be extra safe, since it is not quite as effective at preventing pregnancy as other birth control pills.”

Be Cautious · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 28, 2017

For Birth Control: “You should be very attentive to your body and well-being when taking this medication. It can cause significant weight gain, it can cause overall body aches and pains (headaches, sciatica pain, ankle and knee pain, muscle pain, tingling sensations from your nerves), tiredness, dizziness and moodiness. If you start getting these symptoms, I would recommend that you stop this medication immediately. From my experience, I can tell you that your symptoms will only get worse the longer you take it. Ortho Micronor made me feel like my was spiraling out of control with health issues. I was unable to sleep at night due to the pain shooting down my leg, my ankles felt like they were going to break when walking, and I gained a good bit of weight. I was absolutely miserable and at my breaking point when I decided to stop this pill. Note that is was my choice, not my doctors choice, to stop this medication. They never worried about this medication causing issues and no questions were ever asked on what could be the cause of my problems. On the plus side, I did notice a significant difference within two days after being off of this pill. I had no more leg pain or ankle pain. I'm not gaining weight any longer. Overall, my health is improving and I'm working on losing the weight I put on from being on the pill. I would recommend you pay very close attention to your symptoms and not let them get out of hand as I did. You are the only one that knows your body. I truly feel this medication would have continued to cause issues (if not killed me) had I stayed on it.”

Cobaltbabe83 · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2019

For Birth Control: “I was on a combo pill for many years for possible endometriosis, bad periods and pregnancy protection. Only one called lutera worked like a charm for me. My obgyn said with me being 35 and a smoker, I needed to go on a minipill. She first tried me on norlyda. I had a period every 2 weeks that lasted 9-10 days and the issue never let up, despite I never was late to take pills and never missed any. I called my obgyn. I told her about my issue and I was willing to try another brand because the inactive ingredients are usually what cause problems, which she didn't realize until I explained that to her. She thought the hormones were just too low. So she tried me on Ortho Micronor and so far no breakthrough bleeding. I just got my period the other day, no pain or heavy bleeding so far. I will post another review in a few more months as to how this pill is working for me. My only complaint is I seem to get diarrhea every time I eat a full meal.”

amlux · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 15, 2013

For Birth Control: “I've been on Micronor for about three months now and I really have no complaints/haven't noticed any negative side effects. The only changes I've noticed, though I'm not sure if they have to do with this medication or are just from stress, but my breast size has decreased and I have almost no appetite. No complaints though! It has prevented pregnancy so far, which is why I'm taking it! Also, no periods or spotting to speak of.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 9, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I have been on this pill for 2 months now (2 packets) I have had 2 periods everyone month, very angry moody no patience and my boobs constantly hurt really bad. I will not be taking this anymore I am 3rd day into the pill where I’m supposed to be bleeding and nothing, but the first or second active pill I will start bleeding heavily so I am stopping I am backwards and I can’t deal with a period every 10-12 days. I know it varies per person, it is just not for me. Best of luck to everyone else and thanks for sharing your experiences”

Emmy3 December 5, 2014

For Birth Control: “I have been taking Micronor for almost a month now. I used to take Yaz for 2 years but had to stop due to migraines. I've honestly had 0 problems with Micronor, much to my surprise after reading so many negative reviews. I do not have spotting, weight gain, etc. It doesn't help my acne, but I don't think it's making it worse. I think people may be having issues with spotting and heavy bleeding because they are not taking the pill at the exact same time every day. I take it at exactly 6 and have had no problems!”