User Reviews for Metoprolol Tartrate to treat High Blood Pressure

Metoprolol Tartrate has an average rating of 4.4 out of 10 from a total of 18 ratings for the treatment of High Blood Pressure. 33% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 50% reported a negative effect.

Metoprolol Tartrate Rating Summary

4.4/10 average rating

Compare all 284 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Metoprolol Tartrate

Betty December 10, 2019

“Have taken Atenolol 25 mg for about 30 years. Had episode of AFib. Had a Cardioversion. It worked, but elected to have Cardiac Ablation. Went back to Atenolol 25 mg twice a day and heart rate went into the 40's. Felt awful, light headed. Dr. took me off Atenolol and put me on Metropol ER 25 mg twice a day. Initially, no problems, then bad effects. Can't sleep. would go to bed at 11 pm and wake up at 3 am. Heart was knocking, heart rate in 80's. Experienced internal heat. Felt like my body was on fire. If I did sleep, had nightmares. Body feels wired. Dr. changed me to Metropol plain. Not extended release but upped dosage to 50 mg twice a day. By evening, on 2nd pill and side effects hit me. Up at 1:30 am, terrible internal heat, low sugar. Drank coke to raise sugar. Have decided I can't take this pill anymore. Took a Benadryl at 2 am, by 2:30, the heat is letting up. Pulse is 50 - 44. BP is 170/76.”

Sunny · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2021

“My blood pressure an heart rate went up several times during the winter storm in houston, so went to the emergency room an got put on this awful medicine I started off on long acting felt horrible got put on fast acting an still feel bad I have just about every symptom they have on there page weakness, fatigue, dizziness, itchy skin off balance, panic attacks, can't sleep, blood pressure drops low pulse drops to low joint pain, muscle aches, hair coming out headaches, scalp hurts to even gently pull my hair, etc I go to the doctor soon I have to get off this stuff I feel horrible no energy and I have a 6 month old to look after.”

Rick · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 5, 2019

“Been taking Metoprolol 50mg bid and Diltiazem 120mg bid and Eliquis 5mg bid for HBP and A- Fib keeps. BP under control but pulse seems too low anywhere from 40 to 60 on days of normal sinus rhythms. Makes me feel light headed and concerns me lately. I cut 50mg in half of Metoprolol that seems to do the trick where BP goes to 100 over 80 and pulse stays around 55 or 60 I hate that feeling when pulse is in the 40 s. If I don't take these meds my A-Fib starts up and plus can get up to 180 scary feeling. So yes it helps a lot, but I need to ask DR about decreasing dose of Metoprolol maybe.”

captnjp61 January 14, 2015

“This medication does keep my hypertension under control and also seems to effect my heart rate by lowering it by an average of 15--20 bpm. I take other medications that tend to raise my heart rate, so this medication is useful for me, in that regard. I have found that this medication is very sensitive to dosing propery. I have found that if I miss only a couple of doses, my blood pressure and heart rate start to increase.”

Glo · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2018

“I decided to try this medicine again for high blood pressure. It would make my blood bp okay but drop my pulse in 40s. Once again tried 1 pill 25mg started feeling like rubbish and my blood pressure still 150/100, and my pulse 48”

garden 10 · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 2, 2016

“I can only take 1/4 of a 25 mg tablet a day, and I still get extremely tired. Any more and it makes my blood pressure go up. 1/4 tablet keeps my blood pressure pretty normal on systolic, but heart rate and diastolic are too low.I have trouble breathing.”

Dove · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 22, 2019

“I was given metropolol in the hospital in December 2018 after valve surgery. 25 mg morning and night. I was already on Micardis for high blood pressure. I guess that is standard with valve surgery. Well here it is March and I have tremendous joint pain all over. My toes are blue and I am cold all the time. Have a call into my cardio as I want to get off of this med and hope this pain goes away.”

Constant · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2019

“I am on this for tachicardia and the metoprolol seems to do fine in lowering pulse rate as mine would be @ 125-130 at resting. Blood pressure was a little elevated. Seems to get to low now. I take 25 mg in morning and evening. I'm a 55 years young female now diagnosed with PVC and sinus tachycardia. No blockages. Also COPD.”

Nikki · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 1, 2021

“BP is spiking especially when I’m asleep 160/110 It’s been in this range off and on number of years. Just out of the blue it spikes. Actually called for medical assistance to verify my BP readings was correct. Extremely high. Today, same. Called Cardiologist need to make some changes quick b4 I stroke out. Terrible experiences with this so called med. The lack of efficacy is stressing me out.”

Rambo · Taken for 10 years or more December 2, 2020

“I have been taking Metoprolol Tartrate 50mg BID for 10 years. Experiences are: Heart does not always rest long enough between beats, lack of sleep, memory loss, headaches, white pimple in mouth (just started a month ago), running nose, tiredness, low energy, constipation, shortness of breathe while resting, hypertension and aching feet. I will be 77 a few days from now. Found an OTC that can replace this drug, but must go off very slowly. All in all, this drug is now too strong for me as I will be talking with my heart doctor very soon.”

ChefD · Taken for 10 years or more May 30, 2018

“I have been on this for about 10 years. First 50mg 2x daily and now for the past 2 years 25mg 2x daily, this is due to weight loss. It controls my high BP. Sometimes I have a fast heart beat, but that seems to be my only side effect.”

JohnB. June 18, 2017

“Had first bypass op in 1982, second a triple in 1992. I have been taking 50 mg tablet per day (for 25 years now age 84. I take half the tablet in morning and half at night ( my own method ) have found this best for me. Have a little Fibrillation from time to time, in the form of hard heavy beat lasting about half hour. My blood pressure is good tending a little to the low side, pulse normally around 55-60. Have not had side affects that I am aware of ?”

Mars12 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 14, 2019

“I've been on metroprolol for 3 months at a dose of 100 mg in the morning and 100 mg at night. I've had by-pass surgery and a valve replaced. This keeps my heart rate low but my blood pressure is up with metoprolol, as high as 170/80. I take in along with furosemide (40mg).”

Dchao55 April 3, 2016

“In 2013 summertime, I have "Repair of Ascending Aortic Aneurysm" operation. The 50 mg Metoprolol is one of the main medication that help me in heart rate and hypertension. The Norvasc and Hydrochorlthadize are other medication that cannot without it . But the Diovan makes my heart uncomfortable. It took me a year to figured out.//”

Tommy February 22, 2021

“I have been on 50mg of metoprolol tartrate 2x a day for 10 years and it controls my afib pretty good. The last month I've had 2 episodes each lasted 3 days, which I've never had an episode last this long, bumped up dosage to 75 mg which doctors have told me it's ok to do if I'm in afib. In the past this has gotten my heart back in rhythm, but doesn't seem to have the same effect these last two episodes. Not sure what's putting me in afib, going to see doctor this week.”

Sunny · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 19, 2021

“I am taking this for high bp. I take 25 mg , split into morning and night. I am so sick with non stop coughing , runny nose , feels like my face is full and my lips are swollen, burning and red. I took a covid test even though I'm vaccinated and it was negative. That's how sick I feel. I felt the same on losartan and doctor took me off that one. I don't know what to do next. Terrible drug for me. It's controlled my bp but the side effects are awful for me.”

OJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 18, 2019

“I had to stop taking metoprolol as it gave me an irregular heartbeat. Rapid pulse and did not lower my blood pressure. I had to stop taking it.”

Patty Mae · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2017

“White spots In my mouth. It only works for ten hours and then my ears start ringing telling me that my blood pressure is up again.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more January 24, 2018

“I have skin breakouts from this medication but I don't get migraines anymore or fast heartbeat.”