User Reviews for Methyldopa to treat High Blood Pressure

Methyldopa Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Methyldopa

Phase · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 30, 2020

“I had preeclamsia during pregnancy my BP was 210 and wouldn't go down despite all drugs which made it lower between 190/110- 150/90. After some weeks I was around 130/90 and it of times goes up to 150/100. I battled with that range until I came across the drug methyldopa. And with just three days use I was already 110/80 but the downside is weakness when using it and dehydration. Yet I'm happy there's a drug that lowers my BP. I just hope I can use it during my next pregnancy to prevent preeclampsia”

bobbo · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2019

“This is the first drug that has actually worked to lower my blood pressure! I take 500mg methyldopa 4 times a day along with 100mg atenolol and 80mg lasix. BP went from 180/110 to 130/72 in a matter of days.”

BGVeniceFl · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 29, 2019

“I have been on this medication successfully for 5 years after a 13 year stint failing to control my blood pressure. The only problem is the manufacturer (Mylan) has the drug constantly on back order and is hard to find.”

Carla · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 28, 2018

“This pill works wonders, it lowers my blood pressure. For 2 years it was hard to get the right pill to do the job with the all kinds of side effects I was getting from each pill they would put me on. The only problem I have is that the pharmacy here can never keep it in stock.”

terry · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 8, 2018

“I have been on many different meds and my BP stubbornly refused to get below 170/95. After adding methyldopa and removing doxazosin and amlodipine, my BP is fairly stable at 115/62. I take 500mg every 6 hours. Inconvenient but worth it.”

Overseer · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 23, 2016

“I had been taking Clonidine for over three years when I was Wheaned off to Methyldopa. Since I'm allergic to 53 other RX's it actually was a shot in the dark. Since taking the Methyldopa, I have more energy than I've had in years. I've even started back taking yoga classes, something I never could have done before. I'm not sleepy anymore, I don't have the dy mouth anymore, my libedo has returned and it has given me my life back. I can't speak for anyone else, but the tingling of the feet is a small price to pay for having a vital life back again. I take two tablets per day along with Atenonol and I feel 20 again. I've never looked or felt better. It also makes your fingernails grow, and my face is glowing, I'm 63 years old.”

Solascriptua · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 24, 2015

“My doc switched me to it because we're trying to get pregnant, which is a positive thing about the drug. Negative: extreme thirst and facial tics. I was on 3 pills per day and couldn't tolerate the severity of these two side effects so my doc cut me back to 2 pills, which of course isn't as effective but my BP is lower than it would be if I wasn't taking it.”

shamika · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 30, 2013

“I been taking this medicine for a year. It has helped to bring my blood pressure down. ”

BarbMarch58 September 1, 2009

Aldomet (methyldopa): “I'm sure this medicine has its place in the internist's arsenal BUT UNDER NO CONDITION SHOULD THIS DRUG EVER be prescribed for the elderly. A Board Certified Internist prescribed this medicine (although there are over 100 other alternatives) for my 75-year old mother. Luckily, she is totally competent & in VERY good health. BUT the smallest dose of this medicine did exactly what the manufacturer WARNS ABOUT - dizziness, sleepiness, etc. She wound up falling and the ER doctors who treated her said that if (BY PURE LUCK) I hadn't been walking directly behind her and was strong enough to catch her she would have broken hr femur or hip. This was reported to our State Medical Board and the MD was fully investigated. Within 60 days the license was revoked.”