User Reviews for Milk of Magnesia

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Milk of Magnesia.

Indigestion
9.7

Constipation
8.3

Acne

1 review 504 medications
Summary of Milk of Magnesia reviews 8.3 17 reviews

Reviews for Milk of Magnesia

For Constipation "I am 23 years old and have suffered from stomach issues and constipation most of my life. In the past several years, I have struggled with IBS-C and have really bad constipation during my flares. I have tried just about everything to relieve my constipation specifically prunes, miralax, Metamucil, extra fruits/veggies, and lots of water. Nothing seemed to help and I was getting frustrated! Finally I was at the store buying some Gas-X, when I came across Milk of Magnesia and called my mom to see what she thought. I ended up buying it and took the 2 tablespoon dose at night with an 8oz glass of water and went to bed. I did feel the gas and my stomach rumbled all night but no action until I got up and ate. It definitely cleared me out!!"

Templhope22 November 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "First time user; took the full dose (4tbs) because I'd been constipated for a week and felt very uncomfortable. I did not drink a full cup of water with it, thank goodness. You'll see why later. First BM came about an hour later (not much) and second one about 3 hrs later (bit more). I was disappointed because I thought that was it but felt there was more. Around hour 5 I had a slight urge to go... so I sat down and whoa!!!! Everything just fell out. Seriously, no effort and absolutely no pain. There was a LOT of water, despite the fact that I didn't take the med with recommended full cup of water. I feel light as a feather now. MOM is very good stuff, I'll definitely use again and highly recommend!"

Featherweight October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "I'm 8 weeks pregnant and have been having trouble with constipation. I also have problems with nausea and vomiting so I know my intake of food and water hasn't been the best. Today I felt the urge to have a bowel movement and was really excited to do so, as that hasn't been happening for a couple weeks and I had to take an enema about 3 days ago. I tried to make a BM and nothing but a pellet came out and I was left with stool in my rectum which caused a good deal of pain and discomfort. I literally could not sit down. I managed to make it down the street to CVS for MoM (cvs brand). I took about 45 ml + water at first and then about 20 min later I took the additional 15 ml + water. 6.5 very painful hours later baseballs come out. Relief!"

Pregnant and poopless (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "This stuff is a freaking miracle worker. I have chronic constipation and can go weeks with no BMs thanks to my doctor prescribed diet. Now if I were to tell you nothing else worked, I'd be lying. Everything worked. However, this is the only product I've used that didn't leave me writhing in pain. Magnesium citrate, all stimulant laxatives, and even natural remedies gave me such awful cramps they'd double me over and sometimes for days. Even saline laxatives made me queasy and ill feeling for several hours post BM. I thought I was out of options until I came across this at the Dollar Tree. No cramps, no discomfort, doesn't keep me up at night, and a BM like clockwork 5-6 hours after consuming. It completely empties me out!!!"

MarissaR8897 (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "I was not feeling well and had stomach pain. I went ahead and took pepto bismol and it made me feel worse. Within minutes my pain came stronger I felt bloated and discomfort. After a few hours in pain I went to the market and purchased MOM.....within one hour of taking it with a glass of water it worked.....the results were AMAZING!!! everything was gone and I felt very clean!"

Karinita0708 April 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "Is milk of magnesia lactose-free?"

Dr. W. February 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "Y'all.... Was having some discomfort from constipation and bloating. My stomach just generally felt horrible. Wanted quick relief so I took 4 tbs of MoM. Yes, you read that right, FOUR TABLESPOONS! I have been off and on the toilet for the last hour and realise now I took too much! Will definitely use again in a much lower dosage."

LoCa15 (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "I just recently found out i'm pregnant ( 4 weeks ) and had to stop taking my stimulates laxatives which i had taken daily for the past 3 years ! without them i couldn't GO ! I'ts been few days since i stopped taking them and of course no BM for me.. Called my doc and she recommended MOM. I took 2 tbs at 6:20 PM and nothing happened . The next morning at 07;30 i took 4 tbs of MOM and one hour later i finally had relief . Since then i went one more time. Pain Free ! No diarrhea. I love it . Specially knowing its safe for my baby ! "

Natali***** October 29, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "for a couple days I wasn't eating very well and I noticed I wasn't using the restroom regularly. I went and got fruit and stuff with high fiber and I was still stopped up except for occasional little stools. After not being able to go fully for a couple days I started getting very bad abdominal cramps and I started vomiting. I went to CVS and bought milk of magnesia took three tablespoons of it and 30 minutes later I got diarrhea. I feel better my stomach doesn't hurt anymore and I'm not vomiting. I would recommend this to anyone with constipation problems but be prepared for multiple toilet trips"

BonnieBonnie May 12, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "I have motility issues (i.e., idiopathic constipation) and Milk of Magnesia works, but causes severe bloating, for me. For anyone with this issue, Dulcolax is enterically-coated, so no bloating. But, the urge to 'go' comes on very, very suddenly."

Z108556 February 1, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "After giving birth, lay up in a hospital bed and taking all kinds of medicines. Milk of Magnesia is the best way to get the well needed relief. For me, it doesn't cause any of that rumbling you get with laxatives. Thanks."

Shonney (taken for 10 years or more) August 23, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "If you take the recommended dose it will work gently and effectively in about 6 hours. I use it whenever needed, pleasant taste and no cramps. I have found this to be the best laxative. A word of caution, don't take much more than directed; the first time I ever used this I wasn't wearing my glasses and didn't notice the markings on the side of the dosage cup. I mistakenly thought it said 4 cups rather than 4 tablespoons on the label. That meant I took 4 times more than recommended. That wasn't all- I also didn't notice it was the concentrated stuff-twice as strong. therefore it amounted to 8 times the regular dose. It started working 2 hours later and I spent most of the day and the next day in the bathroom."

happy customer August 7, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Indigestion "Milk of Magnesia caplets and liquid work very well for indigestion in a small dose. Watch out for use on consecutive days because dosage is cumulative. When I took antacid doses on consecutive days, it worked as a mild laxative on the third day. Caplets are easier to handle than liquid, although caplets have a slightly chalky taste. Caplet flavors partially overcome chalky taste. Liquid has a uniquely strange flavor that the manufacturer tries to overcome with flavors."

city_guy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 18, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Indigestion "As an antacid, I allow one caplet 311mg. caplet to slowly dissolve in my mouth before bedtime. Although the use instructions say to chew up to 4 caplets for use as an antacid, by allowing a single caplet to slowly dissolve, less MoM is needed and it seems to work better. Its also better for me than liquid because the dose is more accurately controlled and when the caplet is allowed to slowly dissolve."

RRinCalif March 9, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Indigestion "Looking for a product to cut off GERD at early stage, I purchased Phillips Milk of Magnesia 12 oz. bottle that came with a measuring cap. The laxative dose is 2 to 4 Tbsp so I wanted somewhat less than 2 Tbsp for GERD. I assumed that the measuring cap was for medicinal Tbsps as distinguished from kitchenware Tbsps. Only after taking a bit less than 2 capfuls, upon rinsing the cap, did I notice that the cap is faintly marked for 4 Tbsps. I got more than the max recommended laxative dose! The good news is that it takes care of GERD. The other news is that it takes care of everything else starting a few hours later and continuing over an extended period of time. I was pleased with the GERD result but need to find a lower dose."

Anon70 (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "Very good. I solved my problem. I take it once every 3 days without any issues."

Rami2U November 29, 2009

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "Applied topically, like a mask, Milk of Magnesia treated my acne after years of heavy stuff not working."

Anonymous May 13, 2009