User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 153 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"I am 35 years old mother of 2 with extremely heavy, long cycles. On the pill prior to children. Decided not to go back on the pill after because I felt mentally better without mood swings. 6 years after 2nd child I had enough of the heavy, long cycles which have given me anemia. I decided it was time to dive right in and give the Mirena a try. I have heard women who love it and those who hate it. It was worth the try to me. But try to stick it out for the first 3 months as your body needs time to adjust. I took Advil prior to procedure. I experienced absolutely NO pain. I was aware my OBGYN was in there, swab, measure and insert but that's it. I did spot afterwards for a couple of days but no complaints. I believe an OBGYN should perform the insertion"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got Mirena because I had abnormal cells found in my uterus. I had always been regular as clockwork and beginning March I started bleeding heavy enough to fill the overnight extra long/absorbent incontinence pads! Did that for month of March and April pending Dr. appt. Mirena supposed to get rid of "bad" abnormal cells with progestin hormone only. Between biopsy and insertion of IUD (no kids) most painful experience ever! Have had light pink and brown discharge since insertion but had sex for first time with my husband in 5 months due to all this and now I'm cramping, bleeding again at slower rate - filling a light pantyliner, but when going to restroom pee to red water and blood when wiping. Feel like I'm starting over."

Unsure about me (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went to my doc because of heavy bleeding and horrible cramps. Have PCOS and polyps. Had a hysteroscopy, D&C, removal of polyps and had the IUD placed. All as a way of stopping the excessive blood flow (anemic as a result). Bled for 20 days straight. Then had the same period as before, no changes. I'm now 4 months out and I'm having a period every 2 weeks. This one I'm on now is so bad that I'm headed to the ER. I have been passing huge clots for 2 days now (like golf ball size and larger) in addition to passing enough blood to fill two overnight extra long/heavy pads in about an hour to two hours. I've also developed horrible acne. I do not trust my doctor. She acted like this was the perfect solution to my issues. Not."

PeriodDisaster (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 7, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had my Mirena IUD for seven weeks. The insertion was so painful I almost passed out, and I went blind from the pain during the insertion. Then, after that, I bled for a whole MONTH after insertion. After six weeks, I went to the ER due to the pain I was still in. It wasn't normal pain at all, and although I had exterior symptoms of PID, all the tests they ran came back normal and the ultra sound said it was properly placed. It just kept getting worse and worse until I could barely stand the pain was so unbearable. Went to urgent care as it was closer to my house. They removed the IUD and right as it came out I instantly felt better. I don't recommend this IUD at all! Some notes: I've never had kids. I was put on this for PCOS."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 3, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got the Mirena inserted to treat heavy bleeding & to prevent pregnancy. Before this I was taking birth control pills (sprintec) and stopped because they were causing significant hair loss and depression. Since I have stopped using them my hair has been growing back in. I have also noticed that I don't feel depressed as often). Mirena has been effective at preventing pregnancy but the dark brown discharge I get every single day makes me feel so disgusting that I have no desire whatsoever to have sex (it only stopped when I went back on the pill WITH the IUD but returned after 3 months when I stopped the pills again). To people who have menorraghia: please reconsider getting the Mirena IUD."

ak123789 May 29, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had the mirena inserted on 5/1/17, before been suggested by my doctor I was on a lupron injection, which was throwing my body into menopause , being I'm only 38. My doctor highly suggested Mirena . It wasn't a bad experience having it placed. I spotted at insertion, no cramps. However the next day and every day since I've had the worst cramps, I started spotting a week after insertion and haven't stopped, I've also noticed I'm starting to get acne . I see my doctor in three weeks, I'm seriously considering getting it removed. I got it to keep from having the surgery of having the lining of my uterus abolished. Really considering the lupron injection again, no pain or bleeding with it. I don't want the surgery , due to I'm getting married"

Mek38NC May 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had mirena inserted in December 2016 due to very heavy periods. I have no children and do not intend to. I'm 45 years old and my periods have not been lighter and my cramps are still awful. For at least 2 full days on my period I can not sleep through the night. I have to change my clothes, tampons pad and sometimes the bed sheets. I was hoping this would work but I am losing all hope. I'm giving it one more month and then going to the doctor again"

Ldisanto May 19, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Age 23. I had my 1st Mirena at age 18 due to very heavy and painful periods. The first 3 years my period had stopped (can't remember after what month) with just a few days of spotting here and there. During the last 2 year of my Mirena insertion, my period returned. They were normal when compared to my periods before the insertion. So I had a new Mirena inserted 12/14/16. It's been 5 months and I have had very heavy periods every month with painful cramps. I have to empty my menstrual cup every 3 hours (when nomal periods can go 12hrs without emptying). I'm going to wait another month to see what happens but I might switch to the pill if this continues. Has anyone's period stopped after 6 months or a year?"

When will period end? May 12, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After third marina.....heavy bleeding.... normal??"

Bdavies May 7, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got my Mirena inserted in November 2016. Since then, I've been bleeding nearly every day, with heavier cycles of bleeding approximately every two weeks. I have no clue what's my actual period and what's not. My doctor said that if bleeding doesn't stop by 6 months it likely never will so I'm not sure where to go from here? Has anyone ever had an IUD in for 6+ months with constant bleeding and then it all of a sudden slowed or stopped? I really don't want to get it removed because it is nice not having to worry about other forms of birth control, I can't take the pill for other medical reasons so this was my next best option. Just extremely frustrated"

FrustratedPerson2017 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 43yo and had the Mirena inserted a month/half ago. I have to say I have gained weight excessively (12lbs) but I DO eat a lot and have not been to the gym as I usually do on a regular basis, so in time I will be able to factor in the cause/effect appropriately. Insertion was "uncomfortable" but bearable. I have read many of the reviews and have to say it is definitely dependent on the person. You will always hear the bad, but for anyone contemplating the Mirena I would do my research on the pros /cons and know you that there are chances of it not giving you the results you want (outside of the bc); i.e. weight gain, acne, etc. I have not had any bleeding or spotting and I get a bloated feeling every now but nothing painful."

DGee May 1, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had the mirena for 9 months. I was super nervous About having it inserted but it wasn't bad at all. A little uncomfortable but not awful. I bled for about 3 months as expected before beginning to lighten and eventually didn't bleed at all. It was wonderful and I have loved my mirena ever since. However I started bleeding heavily again about a week ago and I'm a little concerned. Hesitant to go to my doctor about what seems like a period but I think I need to."

KyrannosaurusRex (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doc highly recommended the IUD. Said it was the next best thing to sliced bread. I had it inserted Aug 2016. After 8 months of constant bleeding/spotting, I went back to see my doc and she has put me on birth control (Lolo) for the next three months to stop the bleeding. After two weeks of adding the pill to the IUD, I started spotting again. I just want to cry! I really don't want to have the IUD taken out as I have lasted this long. I wish I had a crystal ball to see into the future. I don't know what to do. Help!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This Friday will be 5 weeks since I've gotten my Mirena. When I got it put in I had been off my period for 5 days. It was crampy getting it placed but was not as bad as I thought it would be. I was a little light headed after wards and had to sit for a minute before driving home. I spotted very lightly for about two days and then on the third day I started what seemed like a heavy period. I've been bleeding heavy since then with a few light spotting days. I'd go almost a whole day without bleeding thinking it was about to stop but then I would start again. The cramps would get so bad that T3s didn't even help much. These last 3 days I've started to notice small tissue clots in the blood and the smell is bad. I see my OB Friday."

Kaylynne88 April 18, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"At age 38, I had a Mirena inserted. It was uncomfortable and I had spotting for the next 2 weeks. My doctor informed me of this so the bleeding was expected. I have been having light periods every 2-3 months for 6 days. This month after a year of having the Mirena, I have the never ending period! It's been 3 1/2 weeks and counting and I've got the most horrible cramps. They started before my period and I need to take Advil daily to get through the day. I have no idea what is going on after all this time. Is this normal?! My doctor kept telling me I'd be so happy and satisfied by this and have less bleeding and likely no periods. I'm going to see her in a couple weeks but I'm really starting to wonder if this is the birth control for me."

Chrissy2017 April 18, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was on mirena almost two years and it was very bad. Bleeding non stop after insertion for a couple months , and now it's been out for almost 6 months and I've been bleeding a lot again. I spotted 3 times in between my periods this month and my doctor said around 6 months after my periods would be back to normal... well they are not at all! I'm going to see when my doctor can see me next week because this is out of control. Worst birth control. Should have tried the depo provera or just birth control pills again"

Ottawachick (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Got mirena December 2016 for heavy bleeding. I'm 47. Have bled almost every day since then. This is awful. At least I'm not heavily bleeding, it's light to medium. I'll give it until June then I'm done. I hate it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had the mirena put in 2 days after my cycle ended Feb 14 2017. It's been almost 3 months and I'm still bleeding. Had only a few days of no blood- spotting. I ready to give it up due to bleeding, however my unbearable cramps have been somewhat eliminated which was the reason for getting the mirena"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had the mirena in for 4 months. The first month I bled for about 2 weeks, but my doctor warned me about bleeding/spotting so I didn't think anything about it. Next month, bled for about 10 days,(normal cycle is 5 days) and the 3rd month, I bled for the entire month and 2 weeks into the next month. I went to the bathroom to urinate. I go to wipe myself and the mirena comes completely out. It was wrapped in huge blood clots, and I had an alarming amount of blood come out. I'm beyond frustrated. Bleeding for 6 weeks has not been fun at all, and now it comes out "

Kansascitygal (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had Mirena since March 2017. Dr said it would stop my period and I'd only need for about a year because I'm in peri-menapause. He also told me I would only bleed for a couple of days and then probably get my period lighter, for 3-6 months. No freakin way! I'm like a leaking water faucet of red. I wear a pad all night, nothing, I'll go to work, gush, go home and change. Had to wear an overnight pad and an ULTRA tampon every time before the Mirena.. Now, it's an overnight & HEAVY tampon. Ugh. No pain though, just lots of leakage. When will it end."

bloodlossissue (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have had in since Feb 27/17 been bleeding ever since, just when you think it's done more bleeding.... ready to take this thing out. Doctor checked said it's in place properly and confirmed with an ultrasound. Not getting pregnant which is awesome, also having less sex due to bleeding and cramping so suppose it's doing its job."

Bloodyhell (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had mirena inserted on 24/2/17 for abnormal uterine bleeding which started 24/1/17. Also prescribed 10mg provera 3 times a day. Well been bleeding ever since and sick of it. Bright red blood 2-3 pads a day. Pelvic pain, acne, feel fat, no energy, tired. See GYN on 4/4/17 and have to get blood tests beforehand. Have no iron so been on iron tablets since January. Think I want this out, don't know if I can handle another 5 months of bleeding."

RS6800 March 17, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went for a scan as my periods were heavy and not letting up. Whilst getting the scan the Dr said I recommend the Mirena implant to stop the bleeding and get me through the next 5 years. I am 47. So in it went, I didn't really know what it was. OMG insertion was very painful and cramps afterwards for 3 days were horrendous. More than I have ever experienced in my life. I had slight bleeding at the start then OMG heavy periods are back and I need to change every 2 hours. I have hd constant needing for 10 continuous days now and I cannot go on like this. I will be visiting my Dr on Monday. I wish I had read the reviews as I would not have got this fitted!"

Anonymous March 17, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've just turned 40. I have 3 children all by caesarean (19,16 and 9 yrs). I've had very heavy bleeding for a few years so after having blood tests and a biopsy of my uterus they found nothing wrong with me , so suggested the coil. I've had it in now for 15 months which at first was annoying as I bleed heavy for 92 continuous days! But since that its brilliant no side effects not even one. I haven't bleed again since . No headaches, pain, nothing. So when it's ready to come out I'll have another put in."

Emma - Lou March 14, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had no difference in bleeding since inserted 8 months ago. Time to get it removed,over it!"

No difference (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 13, 2017