User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 152 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"I got it because I had painful cramping and heavy bleeding but my first Mirena slipped down and now I have a new one and I still have bleeding and horrible cramping. I am 23 years old"

LindsayD (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had a baby 13 years ago, since then I have tried pills and the nuvaring. and I just got the IUD inserted a little over 2 weeks ago, it was very painful , cramped after and started spotting a few hours later. a few days later I started bleeding heavy so I figured I started my period since it was time anyways, been on period since and cramping on and off, some dizziness and on and off headaches . I knew I would have irregular bleeding just did not understand no breaks in between. I have an appointment in 3 months so I might get it removed . Good Luck everyone ."

Stephylane February 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My body reacted to implanon I have a face full of pus pimples. Took it out and Dr. Adviced to use mirena as it has lowest dosage of hormonal influences. 6 months later Inserted the mirena, I cramped for 1 day.. and started spotting from 28/7/2016 until yesterday decided to take it off. I have been spotting for more than 6 months.. sex drive decrease to 0. Dry vagina. Due to spotting for 6+months needed iron supplement."

Suffermum (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've had Mirena for almost 4 years. I've had no luck with oral birth control. Low estrogen and progesterone only pills kill my sex drive. Higher estrogen pills make my breasts too sore. Unfortunately, I have stage 4 endometriosis and heavy, extremely painful periods due to cysts. I decided to try Mirena after surgery to prevent any further cysts. I've stuck it out for 4 years, but Mirena is in the category of hormones that have killed my sex drive. I haven't had sex in 4 years for lack of interest. I've realized that, although I never want to go through the pain of endometriosis and ovarian cysts again, giving up any chance at a relationship and being a sexual person is probably not worth it. But its so much easier to use than bc pills."

6431 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 31, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've had the Mirena since March of 2015. It was a painful insertion. Since then, I've had migraines on a regular basis, acne, and decreased sex drive. I don't know if I should call them periods, but for weeks at a time since the insertion, there's the old super dark brown blood discharge. My OB-GYN put me on some medication for the bleeding, but it hasn't worked. I plan on getting it removed within the next couple of weeks."

Browneyes37 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 30, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I inserted the Mirena 5 month ago. Since I inserted the Mirena I am in a cycle of continuous bleeding. I bleed every single day. I will remove this nightmare on my next visit to the OBG."

holy789 ytt January 29, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I definitely can't say my experience with Mirena has been anything but crappy. The initial insertion of the IUD wasn't as bad as I imagined, didn't take more then 20 minutes. I was crampy for about a day and was already bleeding as I was on my period so I wouldn't have known the difference from spotting and my period. But its been over 4 months now n I'm still spotting. Mainly that brown end of the period kind of junk, can't really tell whats my actual period anymore. I do lighty bleed for a few days then it'll just go back to that brown spotting. Doctor said 3 months for spotting but the actual Mirena site said up to 6 months so well see here in a month or so. I don't know how much longer I'll keep it after 6 months..a year seems unlikely."

Blondie1205252 January 26, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I got the Mirena inserted due to extreme cramping when I got my period. Only after having my son did I start to experience that. The day I had it inserted was followed with horrible cramping, that night (over 12 hours later) I found myself throwing up every hour for six hours. That day I was having hot/cold flashes, cramps, and a fever. Not okay when having a 15 month old at home. I saw the doctor and he recommended that I keep it since all that subsided. It's almost been a month and I'm still bleeding everyday. Not the greatest when you're anemic"

Ava v January 16, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Don't do it. I got mirena in March of 2016 and bled for a few weeks. I got a period every month until August. No period August, September, October. Starting early November, I began bleeding. It's now January and I'm STILL BLEEDING. It will not stop. I am having it removed in a day. I cannot wait to get this thing out of me."

LarissaLW January 15, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have had the mirena inserted now for a little over 2 years. It was suggested to me by my doctor for excessive bleeding and needing iron injections every 3 months. I was 40 when my periods became excessively heavy to the point of being unable to leave the house due to having to change every 30 minutes! I also started to regularly get migraines where I would be bed ridden for 3 days with a bucket in a dark room, not the best situation when you have 2 children under 2! The mirena has not only lightened my periods beyond belief but I have not had a migraine for 2 years!! I have my life back and it can only be the mirena. I was 49 when I had it inserted, wish I'd done it sooner!"

Caj2403 January 14, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've had the Mirena for 8 months & The pain I felt getting it put in was about 9 out of 10. It caused sharp pain after for about 3 days straight the docs ended up prescribing me meds. ( I've never had a kid before ) I've been bleeding everyday of my life since getting the Mirena... I was very disappointed &' I feel bloated most the time. I'm not to crazy about sex it actually made my sex drive decrease ALOT .... I am having mine removed due to the constant bleeding &' pain."

Lena.aa January 10, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I got Mirena put in about a year ago. I was very happy with the depo shot, but because of the dr appts and the risk of bone density loss, I was recommended to get the Mirena. Prior to Mirena, I hadn't had a period in about 8 years (which I loved). The first 8 months or so after insertion were great. However, at month 9, I started a bleeding and had awful cramping which nothing helped (ibuprofen, heat packs, etc.).It was so bad and I was so unused to a period at that point (I was told I may have spotting the first 6mo after getting it put in, but that my period would most likely not restart), that I made an appt with my gyno. Turns out, everything was fine. I just now have a very long, very painful period every month. I may go back to depo."

BiancaCR88 January 4, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am on my 3rd Mirena (replaced every 5 years). Every insertion has been excruciatingly painful; this last time, dare I say was WORSE! I was teary-eyed, breathing through it while also screaming intermittently as my dr inched it into place; and for whatever reason, I felt the pain on my right side. I fully expected spotting & cramps for a few days after. Here I am now, just under 4-weeks later, with cramping and spotting almost daily. The cramps are on my right side, which is where the pain was during insertion. I have never had a problem before now. I've used Mirena for over 10 years & have always loved it. I just turned 40, so I'm wondering if my body is responding differently due to hormonal fluctuations that come with age."

TurboJess (taken for 10 years or more) December 29, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had my first Mirena for 4 years after my second child. I didn't have period at all after I inserted The Mirena . I asked my doctor removed it because I want another baby . I got pregnant with my third child three month after Mirena removed. My period went back to normal. I changed to copper IUD after I gave birth for my third baby. But my period circle became every 20 days. I start to feel cramp and smell. My doctors suggested me switch to Mirena. I thought maybe no period is better than having cramping every days. so I switch back to Mirena. But unfortunately this time I have been slight bleeding for over 2 months .This drives me crazy.But my doctor wants to me keep it ."

Blhh December 15, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"So after 17 years of horrific monthly periods due to my endometriosis, I finally had enough. I have "Microscopic Endometriosis", surgery won't help. So after everything, my specialist recommended an IUD. I was very skeptical, because I have tried hormonal birth control in the past and it made me really moody, with insane mood swings that cost me the love of my life. But after consulting with multiple doctors, they explained that the hormones are directly in the uterus and don't affect your moods. At first, I bled for like 2-3 months. It was awful. The pain was awful. But I stuck it out, it was my last option. I'm so thankful I did. After 6 months, periods stopped, pain stopped and my life has been pain free for 5 years. Love MIRENA!!!"

Nessa1983 December 9, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Got it for dysmenorrhea. Spotted for a long time (2-3 months) and ended up taking it out at 8 months because it aggravated my cramps even more. The spotting did eventually stop but my periods only lightened slightly. I had not ever been pregnant and the consensus with the girls I know is that this one definitely works better if you have had a child, and Skyla is better for non-mothers. I put on some weight and my mood dipped a little, but my acne stayed neutral (I already had moderate hormonal breakouts). Got it out today and felt immediate relief, but wish it could have worked out."

A Cramper (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 7, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I agree with several others on here. I have had this inside of me for less than 2 weeks and I got it to help relieve my heavy cramping and periods. This only makes it worse!!! it's a nightmare. i have taken days off work because i am so cramped. my period has lasted 10 days now and no sign of stopping. The Dr's office put me on Vicodin to help relieve the pain but even with that within 2 hours i am hurting again. What a slap in the face. I cannot wait to get this out of me. I will take my regular period any day of the week! I feel so bad for the others who are going through this. :("

Morgan111 December 5, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have had the mirena for almost 5 months and I can't say it's for me. The insertion was not bad but bleeding for 83 days after was pure hell!! The cramps, both abdominal and back have been horrible even on the few days I don't bleed. After the 83 days of bleeding I stopped for about 4 days and it started again, it has been like a hit and miss as far as when to wear a pad and when I don't need to. To be safe I usually wear a panty liner everyday just in case. I keep hoping it will get better but it doesn't seem like it will. I have talked to my dr and she informed me it could take up to a year for my body to get"used" to the mirena and that I should just be patient and try it for a year."

Stephanieb39 December 5, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had the Mirena fitted 3/10/16 while waiting to have hysterescopy had it for 2 months with non stop bleeding everyday. Last few weeks I was depressed, angry, bloated, weight gain, itchy skin ended up asking a go to take it out. He said he didn't think my symptoms were from Mirena and that they are more than likely menopause. I'm 49 and had none of these symptoms until I had Mirena. I'm day 3 post Mirena not much has changed yet but so glad I had it out. Hoping to have hysterectomy soon."

MandieC (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Just got Mirena put in today. Procedure took less than 5 mins. It was not painful as others say. I would definitely recommend taking ibuprofen before for the mild cramping. I could go back to work today but rather enjoy my day off. I will go back tomorrow. Maybe it is true if u had kids before it doesn't hurt as much. I had two children vaginally. Hope this helps someone. Also, u will have little spotting from procedure. Wear panty liner. Keep u posted!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had the Mirena inserted 10/30/16. The doctor had trouble getting it in & it was an incredibly painful experience because I have never given birth and my uterus is retroverted (tilted back.) A couple days after I had it inserted, I started my period. I am currently on day #17, and I've had cramps for every day of it. Some days it seems to slow down and I think it's about to stop, but then it becomes heavy again. I bought a heating pad a couple days ago and it really helps to relieve some of the pain. However, it has also made my flow much heavier. (Maybe this will speed up the process?) I'm willing to wait until I've had it for six months. Hopefully the end will justify the means and I'll have five years of worry-free birth control."

EElizabethABC (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Terrible experience my periods have got so heavy I have not been able to go to work as the super plus tampon and sanitary towel need changing every hour. Twice this week had to change the bedding as double sanitary protection does not stop it going through pyjamas, sheets, mattress protector. Have been bleeding every day for 5 months."

Karenmcd10Radcliff November 10, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Inserted July '16 to control extremely heavy periods. Insertion-tolerable with a day of cramping. Within a week, I started having constant leakage-requiring a liner every day. Cycle 1-3 were lighter-but LONGER. (10+days compared to 5-6 days) I also started cramping, which I hadn't done since puberty. The leakage NEVER stopped. I scheduled a removal because constant leaking and wearing a liner every single day wasn't something I could deal with anymore...feeling unclean made being intimate with my husband very difficult. AND in 3 months I've gained 10 pounds. Sadly a family emergency required me to put off removal by a week. This 4th cycle is a nightmare. HEAVY bleeding with golf/ baseball clots. I wish I'd never had Mirena inserted."

Dnnomore November 9, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had the mirena inserted for the second time via keyhole surgery. First time I had inserted at my local GP - But had it removed after almost 8 months after issues. I've just had it removed because after 6 months it went downhill, I was irritable & emotional, having acne breakouts in my hair, on my face, chest & back, gained weight that I could not lose, migraines, constantly tired, having thrush like symptoms, heavy bleeding for 7 days at a time 1-2 times a month. So I finally got answers - I'm one of few with high sensitivity to it & reacted to it along with having a reaction to the cords (the thrush like symptoms). Just wish I had of been told that 1st time round! Instead I got told having it inserted differently would be more effective!"

Bears876543 November 8, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Had Mirena inserted July 2016 have been spotting and bleeding ever since (Nov 2016). Back pain,nausea, cramps, clots, headaches, low moods went to Drs who told me to perservere to 6 months and see how it goes as they cost a lot of money and I can't just have them in and out. Came out feeling more confused as I don't want the symptoms and has put a complete stop to sex life. was meant to help with heavy periods not take my life away."

BeeR1 November 7, 2016