User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 145 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"I have issues with heavy bleeding as result Mirena IUD was inserted 18 months ago. My bleeding issue has completed been gone. I get a very light period every month and am very happy with that. Since my bleeding was so heavy, my other option would be hysterectomy. My frustration is the weight gain, I've gained 15pounds since this was placed. I'm only 5-2 and workout every single day and watch my carbs and take a very low calorie diet. In spite of this, I still continue to gain weight. I have constant bloating and terrible water retention. All my weight is in my stomach and thighs. I have an appointment this week to get it removed, however I'm scared of having the heavy bleeding again."

I'm 46 year old woman September 25, 2016

"Wow. This was a Life saver. I've had the mirena for 2 years now. After years of getting worse with heavy embarrassing bleeding that literally held me captive to the bathroom and laundry all over. Anemia. Clots. Pain. My quality of life was awful. After mirena, periods stopped. Altogether. I have had some spotting now for The last 16 days but it's so light I don't even need a Pad. Just shows up when I wipe. A bit of cramping and some breast tenderness But the anemia is gone and I don't even buy pads any longer."

Christy Blaze (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2016

"I had the Mirena inserted 9 months ago, it is now September and boy do I REGRET it! I got it to treat menorrhagia and polyps because I was getting my period every other week and I would have to double up on super tampons and pads. So my doctor recommended the Mirena, well I got it inserted and for the first few months I was bleeding very heavily for 17 days straight and finally when I thought my body got adjust it just didn't, it goes from bleeding past 31 days! To at least 9 days, it's honestly terrible. I've had horrible back pain and crampin it's the worst thing I've ever experienced, But the worst part is that I'm bleed so much I have become so very anemic . The polyps are gone so I'm going to try to stick it out a little longer."

As768 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 11, 2016

"At the end of the first month my period was very heavy. My bleeding was still very heavy after day six of my period. I am now very worried and if my period continues l will remove the device when l go for my six weeks check up. This is an unexpected experience and l am not happy with the Mirena device at this stage. As l type this message l am still bleeding. What an awful experience."

An41 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2016

"I am 25 and got my Minera a little over a month ago. I have a very high pain tolerance, but I won't lie to insertion hurt a lot, but I also haven't had children. I spotted bad for two weeks, and then that stopped, now I just get random cramps sometimes, but nothing compared to the disabling cramps I got while on the pill. My random back pain has also almost completely gone away. I feel like I have come out of a brain fog and can think better. I am no longer crying at everything and feel much more myself--even my husband has mentioned I seem more myself. I also have much more of a libido now--my husband loves it. We aren't ready for kids yet, so not having to remember to take a pill every days has really helped me not stress over sex."

JumpyPanda (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2016

"I had the mirena iud put in on June 23. I had spotting afterwards for a few days then my regular period at the time it was supposed to be. But then had my 6week check up. She said the strings were curled up around my cervix. So she got these long tweezers things cause she said she had to check the strings. She unfurled them and said "ohhh yes there they are" then said okay I'm done everything looks good. BUT since August 4th I've been non stop spotting and everyday for about 3hours it's more then spotting but not period amount, and lots of pain full cramping. I don't know what to think anymore. Before the 6week check up I loved it but I don't know what happened when she uncurled the strings."

Jesy85 (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2016

"I'm 49 & have had heavy bleeding, big clots, terrible cramping ALL my life. With the heavy blood loss i had very low heamaglobin & anemia. Twice I had to have a course of iron vaccines in my butt leaving stains for years. Had Mirena put in by gyno when I was 45. She said to give it so least a year to settle & it will be worth it. She was right. First 10 months my periods were all over the place compared to before regular 28day cycle all my life but the flow got less & less. Cramping reduced couple months after insertion of Mirena. Definitely by 1 year my periods had stopped "

AussieNT August 17, 2016

"I started the mirena in Jan 2016. Now August. Still spotting or bleeding 20 days a month although the bleeding is light, still annoying that I bleed so long. Libido absent. Debating taking it out and getting the ablation."

Mj7851 August 16, 2016

"I had experienced heavy bleeding for years resulting in anemia and just difficulties doing my normal routine.(It's tough to go to work when you are changing a heavy duty overnight pad every hour.) Finally on May 20, 2015 at the suggestion of my GP and gynecologist I had a Mirena placed. The next few months I saw the benefit of decreased bleeding, but I gained 15 lbs, my blood pressure went up 20 points systolic, 10 diastolic, and the worst was my severe bouts with anxiety and panic. Had it removed January 4, 2016. Everything has been getting gradually better. Doc said the bleeding would return, I've had one light period in March, none since. I'm 52."

Amaeb August 15, 2016

"I have always controlled my periods and the heaviness of them with the pill. When the pill no longer worked to Control my heavy bleeding and huge clots, the mirena was suggested to try , otherwise I would need a hysterectomy. I have to say the mirena is the best thing I have ever done. I wish I done it years earlier. Once inserted , I had a light period every second week, for about 6 weeks. Then nothing, no period at all. I do get slight spotting maybe every 3 months . Honestly this is the best thing for my health. I feel so much better , no more pain, heavy bleeding, clots or anemia and I have much more energy."

Maree Victoria (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 13, 2016

"I had the Mirena IUD inserted January 2016 due to heavy periods. With the IUD my periods were lighter but lasted 2 weeks. My moods changed severely and I had cramping everyday during my 2 week periods. I have developed acne cyst on my face, sex had become painful and I began to bleed after sex. I had become miserable. Four days ago I had my IUD removed. The string had coiled and my doctor had great difficulty getting it out. Since its removal, I started with very light spotting. I am in day four and I have heavy bleeding and I am passing HUGE clots. I am experiencing gushing which causes me to fill up pads within and hour. I'm dizzy, have no energy, bloated and a constant headache. NEVER AGAIN!!!"

UGH!!! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 12, 2016

"I was put on blood thinners due to a PE and had heavy periods that were leading to anemia. I needed something non-hormonal to stop the blood. Mirena was reco'd as it contains the hormone in your uterus rather than bloodstream. The first month, my period lasted a while, but was overall lighter. 2nd month, I had a super light period. 3rd month...unexpected heavy bleeding, but I wasn't clotting, so I didn't think anything of it. 4th day in...clots between golf ball and baseball size. Doc couldn't find strings. I had to get a depo provera shot because it was assumed it came out in a clot. Ultrasound today revealed it is still in there, but strings are not visible. I will probably have it taken out because as others have mentioned, the sciatica."

Jess12345678 August 9, 2016

"I had mirena placed 13 months ago and I am soooo happy. Before mirena I had absolutely horrific periods and bled more than I could handle. The cramps were unbearable. Because I am not able to remember to take a pill everyday my doctor recommended this. The placement, not going to lie, hurt a lot. Taking motrin beforehand did not help at all, but I got through it and only had some slight cramping afterwards for a few hours. For the first month and a half I bled, which as first was worrying but eventually it stopped and since I have not had any bleeding at all with the exception of they tiniest amount maybe twice since. I no longer have to use anything, not even liners. I still get light cramping but it is absolutely nothing compared."

issomething July 27, 2016

"I had the marina inserted 4 months ago due to heavy blood flow and frequent bleeding. I have been bleeding EVERY day since. It really defeated the purpose of having it inserted being that I am having even more blood flow. It's really hard to have a sexual relationship with my husband, while bleeding every day..... I'm honestly ready to have this removed!!"

Tricia_P July 26, 2016

"I'm 42 & decided to get mirena to control heavy, clot bleeding. Its been a month now and my first period cycle. My period is very light & the right side pain is gone and no cramps. My periods are a few days longer though. I feel physically better& I was hoping my periods will disappear all together. Is that possible?"

1973Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2016

"I got the Merina inserted for Heath issues as I have heavy clot ( bleeding )  I had the Merina inserted under sedation for $490 and on day 24 it had dislodged ( I did not have months prior and post insert ).i called the clinic and told them that it dislodged and that I was feeling unwell with a fever,nausea and cramping they told me that they needed to see me within 24 to 48hrs but the were booked out and advised me to see my GP for antibiotics and painkiller while waiting to see them .6 days after it dislodged they saw me,gave me an ultrasound and said 'sorry this has happen ,and couldn't understand why it has'.The doctor that Had performed the insert was very nice and compassionate and sent me to see the receptionist regarding the re-insert and pricing if any.  I saw the receptionist  I asked them if they can do another one and was told yes but I'll have to pay $490. I said that it was no fault of mine and that they need to do it for free or under Medicare . Heartlessly they showed me my signature that I had signed the disclaimer that this can happen and that they won't replace it free of charge or under Medicare . No compassion, very cold when presenting me with the documents that I signed.  I was so upset and devastated that I burst out crying and left the clinic cos I can't afford to pay for another one . Never again will I deal with them ."

DevastatedNik- July 17, 2016

"I was put on mirena 9 months ago to help with my heavy periods and thickened womb lining. I found the insertion proceedure very distressing and painful. Psychologically, I was a bit messed up for a few days because it felt like I had something alien inside me and was terrified that it would move position and damage me. My periods are a lot lighter, but they drag in for longer. I never know when I'm going to get one, but the current cycle is about 20 days. Because about 10 days of that is bleeding, I don't get much of a break. I'm unhappy with mirena but I worry about the alternative. I do t want ablation or hysterectomy, so is it besfor me just to put up and shut up?"

Louisejy July 6, 2016

"Had Mirena inserted due to heavy bleeding and cramping. Did wonders right away. My periods were very light while on it. However I began having back and leg pain almost immediately, and after 3 1/2 months had a major attack of sciatica, to the point that o could hardly walk. This occurred 4 weeks ago and I'm still having pain and numbness in my back, leg and foot. Had iud removed as I've read that this can be a side effect."

Vivat kin July 5, 2016

"I have had Mirena for 3 months now and I have been bleeding EVERY DAY since. They said 3 months of Irregular bleeding and spotting, they never said anything about having a perminant light period. I'm so over it...."

Fed up and over it June 9, 2016

"I have had my iud for 4 years now and have recently been experiencing sever heavy bleeding for the last 3-4 months. Other than that it has worked"

Ali.m142 June 8, 2016

"I have had the mirena for 18 months now. I am getting it removed on Friday. The 2 major reasons is weight gain (10 lbs) that is a lot for me as I am a personal trainer and it has killed my sex drive! I have always had a higher than average libido and for the past year it is gone. Not worth it to me. I would rather have my painful periods back!!!"

AmeliaRowlans June 8, 2016

"I've had mirena for a month now, other than the off and on bleeding I've experienced no crazy hormonal changes or weight gain. I was worried to start a birth control with heavy hormones because everything I've tried when I was younger really packed on the pounds. After giving birth to my little one I decided mirena was the right choice for me. I'm super happy so far with my choice although I can't wait for the constant bleeding to stop but I know it will with time. I also felt nothing with the insertion process but I think it's because I recently had a baby."

Kikivv May 29, 2016

"After years of having my periods every 2 1/2 weeks i decided to try the Mirena as a last option. I've had it in for 6 months. Its so great not to be bleeding all the time but I'm not sure if its the Mirena but i have gained weight and i continue to gain it and its freaking me out. I've been exercising and eating really well but I've slowly crept from a size AUS 14 up and up. I actually probably eat less than before the Mirena. Going to the dr to suss it out. Its not just the weight gain though. My hair has thinned dramatically. Next step hysterectomy."

Jadles123456789 May 24, 2016

"I got Mirena inserted about 3 monthes ago and I am so happy that I did. I had been on 4 different types of birth control pills and each of them affected me differently. I gained weight, had terrible mood swings, didn't have a sex drive, and was always fatigued. Now that I have gotten Mirena everything has changed... I lost almost 10 pounds now back to where I was before I ever started the pills! I weigh around 122 and when I was on the pills I weighed 132 and I was miserable. Mirena has made me have light bleeding here and there but my doctor said that it is just my body adjusting. I am very satisfied with it and I hope that it treats me well for the next 5 years!"

CarolineG May 24, 2016

"I am 25 (2016) and got it inserted in December 2014. Insertion: a painful procedure for a tiny insertion. Followed by intense discomfort and pelvic pain, constant bleeding and pelvic and vaginal pain. Symptoms: first month or so nonstop bleeding, mood imbalance. 3 months. Continued frequent bleeding weight gain of 5 pounds. 6 months gained 15 pounds 1.5 years gained 20 pounds ( vegan, fit although no weight loss or maintenance) Experienced depressive symptoms such as lack of excitement, happiness, and lack of interest in previously preferred activities, fatigue and lethargy. I WAS GIVEN AS A METHOD TO TREAT NOT ONLY MENNORAGIA BUT OVARIAN CYST PAIN. REMOVE AS THIS IS COUNTERINTUITIVE AS ONE OF THE RISK"

Crohnscyster (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 22, 2016