User Reviews for Mirena

Mirena Rating Summary

5.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 98 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"I have yet to decide whether this form of birth control is worth it. I have been bleeding for 55 days now and it has yet to stop, I hope it stops soon. The bleeding hasn't stopped my sex life - sex sponges (buy them at sex shops) are life savers - but it has made it inconvenient I don't like having to use a sponge secretly every time I get frisky. I'm really just hoping the bleeding will stop soon. On the other hand, the comfort of knowing I'm not going to get pregnant is incredibly satisfying."

asdfghjkl (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2018

"My doctor decided to put me on mirena for my endometriosis. I told her that every birth control that I have ever used has interacted poorly with me psychologically. She assured me there would be no side effects "

Shesarevolution (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2018

"I had a Mirena inserted 10 years ago by a very competent doctor. Because I had never had kids, it was not the easiest to get in. She put in a cervical block (numbs the cervix) and had to spend 30 min getting it in. It did not hurt at all because of the cervical block and I had 5 years of easy peasy. A weird cramp every now and then but periods stopped after a few months and life was great but you all have to understand, I had not been on a birth control pill for years. I think some of the acne/depression/weight gain some experience with it is because the BC pill was keeping a lot of that at bay and suddenly you quit taking the pill and your hormones go crazy."

CindyC (taken for 10 years or more) May 28, 2018

"I had the Mirena inserted on recommendation of my gynae after years of different pills to address hormonal imbalance which turned into months of heavy bleeding and extreme emotional rollercoasters. I stopped bleeding the day they inserted it and have only bled slightly the days it was replaced. I was happy for the first 10 years of having it in but with the last replacement it was different; cramps and spotting periodically from the beginning and we are now at pain. I must mention that the last gynae was a different one to the previous ones so I don't know whether it is the insertion or my body causing the pain. I am having it removed on Monday."

Antie (taken for 10 years or more) May 17, 2018

"I visited this site just like you and promised I would come back after enough time on mirena. I got on it 2 yrs ago due to massive bleeding during periods when I would pass blood clots, one after another. First of all the insertion was a breeze. I did have spotting right after and for about 6 months. After about 3 months I wanted to get it out. I contemplated the heavy clots over this constant drip but my dr said it does stop so I kept at it. I sometimes feel twinges or pain there but nothing major. No cramps. No weight gain. No mental issues. It’s been two years now and I love it. I can wear tampons and panty liners. Took about a year to even out my periods to normal but I am so grateful to not have to hide out at home, change sheets, and bring extra clothes on heavy days. My periods are about 7 days but super light. So worth it."

Angie C (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 9, 2018

"I was on Mirena for 4.5 years. It worked great. Prior to it, I had really heavy periods, causing anemia. This was the alternative for a hysterectomy or ablation. I had no side effects, and only had three very light periods over the course of the 4.5 years. After the 4th year, I noticed I became easily agitated and moody. I began to cramp and have PMS, but without the period. My Dr said this was the tapering off the hormones. I had to have the Mirena surgically removed after it shifted and somewhat embedded.( I only ached 1 day after removal, and did not need pain medicine after the surgery) other than the hassle with the removal, I was satisfied with the Mirena. My Dr has now put me on BC pills until I have the hysterectomy."

Lu (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2018

"For many years I have had to take the pill to control my super super heavy periods. About 6 months ago I started bleeding every single day of every month even while taking the pill. All tests have come back normal so my dr recommended trying Mirena as last ditch effort to control the bleeding. Had it put in about 3 weeks ago. My bleeding has stopped and I've had zero side effects! So far I am super happy with Mirena"

SarahN (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2018

"It's been 3 months since I got mirena inserted and I've bled nonstop, with symptoms of cramping, contraction like pains, and its affected what once was a very healthy sex life with my husband. I will be getting it removed next week. I don't recommend this to anyone."

Krystal (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2018

"I read the horror stories but this was my last hope so I went for it. I wish I had done this 30 years ago, it has changed my life. PMT/PMS has calmed down, there is spotting but that clears up and I barely notice when having a period. I thought I could feel it for the first week or so but any discomfort was short lived. Over the last 30 years I have passed out and vomited at work, at train stations, public toilets, swimming pools, friends houses etc.... Missed weddings, birthdays, holidays and other special/fun occasions. This has changed everything. I haven't had any children and was advised the fitting would be more painful. It wasn't pleasant, I felt sick, hot and very ill but for only 40/50 SECONDS - this is bearable. At least give it a try there is nothing to lose, it can always be removed. I hope this helps someone x"

Happy Now! (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 13, 2018

"I got the Mirena in December of 2016. I loved not having a heavy period for a year. Then one day about a month ago. I felt a whoooshh....I didn't know what it was. I went to the bathroom and a large blood clot came out of me. It freaked me out, so I made an appointment to get a ultrasound to made sure the IUD was still in place. It was. Now as I'm writing this I've had an EXTREMELY HEAVY and painful period the last 7 days. I'm passing huge blood clots and I'm soaking through the largest tampon and a large thick pad at night. I haven't been able to find any research on this up until now. I'm going to my doctor this Thursday and ill give and update."

Rachel March 4, 2018

"I'm 46 and had to stop the pill due to developing a blood clot in my leg. My period came back with a vengeance while off the pill, causing me to be very anemic. My uterine lining was three times as thick as it should be on my ultrasound. Estrogen dominance according to my doctor. My ob-gyn offered me an ablation or the Mirena. I chose the mirena. I had it placed during an extremely heavy bleeding day. The mirena stopped the bleeding immediately. I spotted for a day or two afterward and haven't had any bleeding since. Only side effect is some breast tenderness. So far I am very happy!!"

Lhasa-mom (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2018

"I've had the mirena since May 2017 and I'm having my cycle 14 days down and 16 free days of no bleeding. The flow is 2 to 3 days normal and the rest are light spotting. My Dr gave me a progesterone pill to take everyday and it helps I only had a 4 day light cycle but we tried it for a month and now in back to 14 days bleeding so I have to call her back to see what to do next. Over all it works, I've never gotten pregnant yet. But it scrapes my partner so thats another problem we are working on. I wish I was as lucky as my friend she hasn't had a period since week 3 and shes going on 10 yrs with it now. Does anyone else know anything else to do to regulate or help my cycle to be shorter or gone????"

LaR (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2018

"I have had the mirena for years but had abnormal bleeding for along time as well as right side pelvic pain and bloating. Had a laprascopy nothing found so they changed my coil and said it will help stop it - but hasn't , so now I'm thinking it's the coil. I want it out"

C (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 24, 2018

"I am UK based and I had this fitted in December 2017 for heavy bleeding -this is stage one of my three options - stage 2 is an ablation of my uterus and stage 3 is a hysterectomy I am a 46yr old mother of 4 and have been sterilized after my fourth child / my bleeding had got steadily worse over last few years I hate it - I haven’t stopped bleeding since it went in literally I have had maybe one to two weeks overall bleed free in the last three months I hate everyone, I’m angry every day for no reason, my husband gets the brunt of it how he hasn’t left me I don’t know! - Docs also put me on a contraceptive pill as she said it would lesson my bleeding while Mirena got used to my body - this hasn’t even touched the sides I would rather have my old heavy period back for one week a month than this constant bleed with no break I have asked for it to be removed & go on list for an ablation operation and pray to god this does the trick I cannot go on like this it’s awful"

Anonymous February 24, 2018

"I just got my second mirena fitted yesterday...first was under general anaesthetic so I've read the scaremongering and hysterics on the net....fainting really??? Anyway removal and fitting was less time than my smear and I promise it was no worse. I had a biopsy done at the same time it was a small pinch. My mirena hormones ran out in mine about 3 years in, plus I had some hair loss, no weight gain but I don't sit stuffing my face. This one is under 24 hours old but so far minimal bleeding. I'd been spotting for 30 days prior due to my old one being hormoneless ..."

Lors (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 22, 2018

"I got my IUD out. 3 days later I started heavy bleeding. 5 days after that I bled so bad my pad would fill up in 10 min. I passed a huge blood clot. I mean the size my husbands hand."

Bolen96 February 19, 2018

"I was hoping when I got the Mirena put in that it would make my period lighter. Unfortunately, I bled non stop for weeks so I decided to get it removed. Sex was also extremely uncomfortable. I was disappointed this product didn't work out for me because of how effective it is preventing pregnancy."

Mandy M Ezell (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2018

"I have almost constant bleeding since insertion in October for treatment of adenomyosis and mennorhagia. I finally stopped last week after a 17 day period and then 4 days later I started again with sudden super heavy bleeding; ie no spotting to start, straight to frank bleeding with big clots. I have been unable to tolerate other bc methods, either bleed more or get depressed. I was hopeful this would work for me. I'm 38 and have 3 kids so if just like a hyst at this point."

Prairie girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2018

"I've had mirena for over 3 years. It stopped my period completely I loved it all was well until the last month I have the worst ovary pain and severe abdominal cramps so bad I just want to pass out and I have a high pain tolerance. I have an appointment to have removed in 2 weeks also a big side effect that's been ongoing is loss of libido like completely its almost caused my marriage to finish. All because I didn't want my period not for birth control because my tubes were tied 6 yrs ago"

Jessemsee31 January 26, 2018

"I am 48 yrs had the Mirena placed post ablation December 2017 due to premenopausal symptoms, irregular periods etc. I have had discharge every day since that is a brownish tan color and also included a 15 day period (yup, 15 days) I have experienced daily back pain, breast pain and bloating. I am a marathoner, very fit, excellent shape. Never in my life have I experienced bloating. But indeed the Mirena holds true to review. Brutal. Today at exactly week 6 I had it removed. Painless, didn’t feel a thing. I was so disappointed, I wanted it to work as it had for so many others. But synthetic hormones are hard to handle for some I guess. I will post in a couple of weeks with how I am coping post removal."

Yewie (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 24, 2018

"I’ve been using this birth control for 11 yrs. Like all birth control it has pros & cons. During placement it hurt (tolerable) then cramps & spotting for a day or 2. For the 1st 6 mths I’ve always had a lot of spotting. My periods came every 3 mths with my 1st one. My 2nd started the same as the 1st, but I had a lot more discharge & wore a liner almost daily. I researched & discovered that the hormones cause more mucus production. Unfortunately it causes the discharge (sometimes with blood). It is very annoying. It seems that the older I get the more frequently I’m getting my period & the duration and flow is increasing. They still are not nearly as heavy as they used to be."

11years of experience (taken for 10 years or more) January 20, 2018

"Wish I had found this site before I had Mirena inserted. 9 weeks in and still bleeding heavily everyday! Pain, bleeding & PMT! This worse than symptoms it was supposed to suppress! Feeling very depressed. Now they can't find strings to remove it! Got to wait 2 weeks for scan to find it and 5 weeks for a gynaecologist appointment!"

Loo8ie January 18, 2018

"Mother of two, in my late 30s, & suffer from heavy periods & severe anemia. Doctor inserted Mirena IUD to control bleeding. Had it for 9 months and have heavy periods each month lasting 7 days long w/ heavy clotting for the entire 9 months. I've also had BV's and a UTI. I feel like I'm always on antibiotics. I also experienced slight weight gain. Doctor said it's time for it to come out but when she tried to pull it, she couldn't find the strings! Had an ultrasound which said it's still in place but strings are probably curled up & twisted so high up. Now they say they will have to remove it surgically. I can't believe I agreed to put my body through this! I DON'T recommend Mirena IUD, its not worth the risks and side effects."

C Celina January 12, 2018

"I had the Mirena coil 1 and half years ago. Twice a month period and irregular spots in between. So I am free of pads only about a week in a month. Also have back pain and acne problems. But I used to have a painful cramps when I had period before the coil is put. For me , Mirena coil is 50-50 ."

Chitthamee January 2, 2018

"I was going well but have now been bleeding two and a half weeks. I feel like I have permanent PMS! I also have Fibromyalgia so extended bleeding/spotting just causes constant pain. I am nearly fifty and would just like a hysterectomy to be honest!!"

Michw December 28, 2017