User Reviews for Mirena

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

5.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 103 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"Mother of two, in my late 30s, & suffer from heavy periods & severe anemia. Doctor inserted Mirena IUD to control bleeding. Had it for 9 months and have heavy periods each month lasting 7 days long w/ heavy clotting for the entire 9 months. I've also had BV's and a UTI. I feel like I'm always on antibiotics. I also experienced slight weight gain. Doctor said it's time for it to come out but when she tried to pull it, she couldn't find the strings! Had an ultrasound which said it's still in place but strings are probably curled up & twisted so high up. Now they say they will have to remove it surgically. I can't believe I agreed to put my body through this! I DON'T recommend Mirena IUD, its not worth the risks and side effects."

C Celina January 12, 2018

"I had the Mirena coil 1 and half years ago. Twice a month period and irregular spots in between. So I am free of pads only about a week in a month. Also have back pain and acne problems. But I used to have a painful cramps when I had period before the coil is put. For me , Mirena coil is 50-50 ."

Chitthamee January 2, 2018

"I was going well but have now been bleeding two and a half weeks. I feel like I have permanent PMS! I also have Fibromyalgia so extended bleeding/spotting just causes constant pain. I am nearly fifty and would just like a hysterectomy to be honest!!"

Michw December 28, 2017

"I have fibroids I bleed very heavy with my period for three days. My doc suggested the mirena. He's been trying to get me to get it for several years. Finally Dec 4,2017 I decided to get it has been going on three weeks of bleeding. I got this to avoid a period. Now I rather suffer through three days than to bleed everyday."

Want it out (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2017

"Gave me depression and had to have it removed because it was affecting my life so badly. Time off work, mood swings, pain, spotting... Worst decision of my life."

GeorgieAnna December 17, 2017

"I'm 45 and had been experiencing heavy bleeding (no other issues) for a few years, resulting in anemia. After undergoing treatment for that, the high dose of iron that I need to keep my anemia under control was causing severe acid reflux. So, my GP recommended an ablation. When I went to my gyne, she suggested Mirena first as a less invasive option, that should result in no period. Well, I had it inserted Oct 25, 2017, and have been bleeding since a week after insertion. Pretty much a 2 month long period. I have symptoms like I'm pregnant, acne, bloating, headaches, fatigue and strong cramps like I'm a teenager again. I go into the gyne next week to check on the placement, but I am going to request it removed."

kel123456789 December 15, 2017

"I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 12 years old and endometriosis at 24 years old, the mirena was inserted in Jan 2017 to alleviate debilitating symptoms. I was in excruciating pain for 10 months, nausea, vomiting, mood changes and continuous bleeding from month 4 onward. Around month 1, I noticed the weight gain starting so I adapted a healthier diet and exercise regime. I follow a strict 1000-1200 calories/day diet (veg, fruit, chicken/fish, no bread/pastas/potatoes/junk food) and gym 5/wk, 2 h/day with 1h cardio/day. In spite of my efforts, I have gained 13 kgs. My aunt also has it and experienced the same side effects at 50 y/o. I strongly advise against the mirena and will be removing it in Jan 2018."

LTPS (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 13, 2017

"I'm 37 and I will say it works as birth control because you are always bleeding; Therefore, I don't want to have sex. I have had this thing in for over a month. It has been non stop bleeding and constant discomfort. When my uterus contracts I get a light stabbing pain. It is madening. My doctor keeps telling me it will get better give it time..."

Diyami December 10, 2017

"I've only been on the IUD for little over 3 weeks now. I've started my period on the 30th of November, it is now the 9th of December. I normally have heavy flows which is why I chose to go on the IUD because I have friends who say it stopped their periods or they'd just spot, it's just making my period last longer then usual. 10 days is a long time and it doesn't seem to be stopping. If it continues within this week, I will get it removed."

Nivee1 December 9, 2017

"Wow. Thank you for all your stories. I thought I was alone on this insanity. I'm 41 years old now, I was 39 years when I got the Mirena. Suggested to me by they gyno. I was referred to by the hospital as I went in with such agony and after a few months of bleeding, fed up. Always had ovarian cysts, normal, they tell me. I bleed all the time, like, my time of the month is when I don't bleed, which if I am a lucky gal, 2, 3 days in a row! Had to get a polyp removed from my uterus, because, again, that seems normal. Oh yeah, Mirena is so great, you might not even have a period. I'm thinking this is too much to be true. I could have no sex life before, you know bleeding all the time. So, I'm over a year with Mirena and still bleeding more than ever."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 28, 2017

"I got the mirena coil inserted against my better judgment. Had it for 2 years now for heavy frequent periods. Although it mostly became lighter I still get a period every 10 days which lasted 9 days. Nightmare! Every few months I get a very heavy bleed which lasts for 2 weeks with clotting. Have asked my doctor to take it out but I kept getting told that it would settle down. Last straw was when I started bleeding 3 weeks ago non stop. Some days so heavy I can't leave the house. I went to doctor and demanded it be taken out. She tried and couldn't get it out. She has referred me to a gynacologist which may take a while to get an appointment. Meanwhile I keep bleeding heavily. Would never recommend this product."

Angiey 100 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 27, 2017

"After speaking with my Doctor and doing my research, I decided to try this Mirena to control my long heavy periods. Big mistake after 6 months of constant bleeding and depression I've decided to have it removed. I would rather have 5 days of heavy periods than to go 2 to 3 weeks and experience mood swings.."

Diamond's November 24, 2017

"I had it inserted on halloween, I started my period ten days later and haven't stopped bleeding since, I got it so I wouldn't get pregnant but I'm not gonna get pregnant if I don't have sex with all this bleeding, I have been bleeding for 13 days."

jace walker (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2017

"Regular 5 day menstrual cycles since starting periods. No problems ever, until Mirena. Extreme bleeding started 3 days after IUD insertion. Removed in hospital after 1 month of non-stop flooding. Heavy bleeding/clots/floods for 10 months straight & anemia resulted. Mirena was the worst decision of my life!"

Keb2017 November 20, 2017

"I too, wish I had read this site before I went on to follow Doctors recommendation. I am 50 and had been experiencing heavy (blood clots type) irregular periods for about two years prior. Was told by doctors that with Mirena, bleeding will be reduced drastically or even stop due to my age. To me this was exactly what I needed cause the continuous bleeding was leaving me very tired and non energy. It was effecting my everyday life etc. and because of the irregularity and heaviness, had several embarrassing episodes. Anyway opted for mirena six months ago. Bleeding still very irregular and heavy. Doctors say it’s early days and to give it a chance but it’s not easy cause apart from the great inconvenience, I have had weight gain as well."

Malteser67 November 19, 2017

"I'm 42 years old, never had kids. I have a PCOS and my last period was very painful. My OB Gyn recommended Mirena and I had it placed yesterday after my OB Gyn did a cervix biopsy. This was a very painful procedure and they did not put anesthesia on me and did not warn me about the side effects of Mirena. The doctor said to take Motrin 600 mg every 6 hours so I don't damage my kidneys. I've been feeling the most uncomfortable cramps all day and all night long. I don't like this IUD, tomorrow I'm going to the ER to have this device taken out. I couldn't go to work today and I've been in my apartment in bed taking Motrin. Also, I'm bloated like I'm 3 months pregnant and I got a big pimple on my chin. Do not recommend."

ale2017 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

"I have not yet like the Mirena, had it since Feb 2017 and bleeding and spotting on a regular basis. I got it cause I don't want to get pregnant again but I can't get pregnant if I can't have sex smh. My husband and I won't have sex if I'm bleeding not even when I'm spotting, therefore the Mirena is annoying. We don't like to use condoms so I got this birth control that a friend recommended but its a NO GO, at least for myself. I'm still sitting patiently for my period to be regular or just stop. If not I'm going to have it removed. So far as my attitude and mood change I can't tell if its cause of the mirena or not cause during my last pregnancy I was going through postpartum depression. I NEED A NEW BIRTH CONTROL WITHOUT ALL THE EXTRA ISSUE"

Mo'Nee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 13, 2017

"I had the Mirena inserted in January 2017. I have bled almost every day since. If I had to number the days period free, I’d be lucky to reach double digits! I am irritated easily, always tired but lately I’ve been getting dizziness and black spells where I can feel everything in my body tingling, I can’t see, I have to sit on the floor then I feel hot every where and sweat profusely but I am still aware of people around me. These last up to 5 minutes before I come good again. I’ve been to my doctor several times requesting it be removed but she always says give it one more month! I have have depo and implanon previously and bled constantly and heavily - I should have known that Mirena would be bad for me!"

Shell279 November 10, 2017

"I’m 48, never had children but have uterine fibroids which were removed and very quickly returned. Because of the heavy bleeding new doctor recommended Mirena to hopefully reduce the heavy bleeding. Thought this was a great idea! No more ultra tampons and overnight pads as a back up. No such luck. Got Mirena inserted 6/14/17 and have been bleeding ever since. Thought this could not be real. Doctor sent me for ultrasound to be sure Mirena was still in my uterus...yep it’s there so I’ll have to put up with the bleeding. I‎t is UNREAL. I’ve bleed for 5 months with maybe 2 weeks of no bleeding. This is awful, bleeding every day...day after day. The number of pads and tampons are becoming expensive. I’m seriously at my wits end."

Ladyla69 November 10, 2017

"I originally got in the Mirena because I had a fibroid in my uterus and after my fibroid was removed I got the Mirena placed. I have unexpected cramps when I'm not even supposed to be cramping. My Cycles are a lot lighter but I still have one every month or I may have random light bleeding. And I now experience a foul odor."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2017

"I've had Mirena for 4 years now. I have managed to have one if not two periods every month. I spot for several days every time I have sex. My PMS has gotten worse. Thank goodness my fiance loves me because I flip out on him once a month. I accuse him of neglect, cheating, lying, etc. And I know better. I do not recommend this product."

Aclay242 November 7, 2017

"I’ve had this for roughly 2 1/2 months and I really like it, besides the what seems never ending period. I’ve been bleeding for well over 20 days straight, but it hasn’t really effected my mood (none that my boyfriend can tell) and my sex life is still pretty great! Yeah, it’s not ideal to have sex while on your period, but considering sometimes I get very few cramps (after never having them before) I’ve done what I’ve had to do to relieve the bit of pain! Honestly, I’m not upset with it at all and I think it’s a great thing to have. All I can say is, no babies for me!"

LittleOneCatto (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 2, 2017

"I have had mirena for about 8 months. The insertion hurt and I bled a lot after. At the three month mark, I stopped the regular bleeding, but would get gross discharge. Now at the 8th month mark, I’ve had my period for two months now. On and off, and I’ve seen my doc who says it’s in place. I feel like I was not properly told of the side effects and now I am praying I can get it out this week. It’s honestly the worst decision I’ve made, I’m very anemic and tired, depressed - it’s not working for me. I know people who like it and I guess if you can handle progestin only birth control then this will work for you. My body needs more estrogen, and this just isn’t going to work for me anymore."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 2, 2017

"I wish I had found this site last year because I would have never gotten this. Now I'm one and a half years in, before I used to have light 4 day periods but now they're light but 2 weeks long. I never have sex anymore because my periods are so irregular and I had no clue. So many others complained about fatigue. I am always tired. I can't use the pill because I smoke and I am terrified to get Mirena out. I had the worst insertion where the first one bent and they had to shove the second one in. I went into shock and couldn't feel my arms or legs for 20 mins. Removal is sure to be difficult with my luck. And who knows if and how long it will take to feel normal again? Every doctor I've talked to says I am the exception but is this said to us just so they can keep selling these?"

CanadaChick (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 14, 2017

"I had my Mirena for five years and never experienced any abnormal bleeding; in fact, I stopped having periods after the first six months. I DID however gain a lot of weight which has been impossible to lose no matter what I've tried. Now that it is out, I'm hoping to see the weight go away. If it does, I'll update the post (if I can)."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 9, 2017