User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 105 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"I have had the mirena for about 1 and 1/2 years now. I bleed more days than not. I have weird pains I have never had until this was inserted. My hip hurts during ovulation and during my cycle. My bleeding is down to a light tampon amount which is a big change. I could go thru a super plus sometimes in 20 minutes. Overall it has helped make it lighter but it lasts a lot longer. Not sure if it is worth it or just find out the reason your periods are so out of control."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was so desperate to put an end to months of heavy and almost non-stop bleeding (I'm 54) that I had a Mirena inserted. It did stop the continuous heavy bleeding but now I have light continuous bleeding and have gained over 10 kg in weight, and am ALWAYS tired. I am having mine removed this afternoon and can't wait. If the heavy bleeding returns I'll deal with it some other way."

Wendy Mc August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 18. Got the mirena iud for prolonged heavy periods. I have been off and on of various forms of birth control for nearly 3-4 years trying to fix this problem. Birth control was working, but I wanted something more permanent because I was tired of taking the pill everyday. I've had the IUD since Feb 28 and for the first few months my periods were everyday and heavy. Now it's August 12 and I still get periods, but they are very light(pantyliner bearable). However I'm still concerned because I don't like the feeling of bleeding everyday, even if it is light. I'm not satisfied with mirena and at this point I'm not sure what to do about my period problems."

Heavybleeder123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I forgot to add to my last post that ever since I got the Mirena my skin has gotten very oily and I am now having acne problems. I feel bloated All the time and anxious most of the times. My energy level is poor I hardly want to get up from bed and cramp a lot. :("

Bleeding my life away (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got Mirena back in December 2016 and ever since that day I've been bleeding EVERY single day. We are now in August and bleeding is still occurring non stop. It has taken a toll on my daily life especially with my sex life with my husband. This is devastating because I was under the impression it'll stop my periods within 6 months the latest, it's been 9 months now and starting Birth control on top of the IUD to see if it works if not I will have to remove it and bleed a couple more weeks and mess up my system even more."

Bleeding my life away (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had Mirena in for 3 weeks it wasn't painful I have had a little cramping and it was a quick process but however I have been bleeding ever since I got it put in have tried different mediation but nothing seems to stop the bleeding"

Lisha2k9 (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Idk what everyone on here is complaining about I've had Mirena for about 7 months. Yes I've suffered the hair loss, but I'm not tired and I'm definitely not bleeding anymore. I had 2 regular periods since insertion and I spot a very light pink blood for about 1 day every month. I was bleeding nonstop for 2 months before this device was inserted. You can't start a medication and get upset after 4 weeks because it's not working. Things take time. It took 8 weeks for my cycle to regulate and 12 weeks to lose my periods all together. Chill out. It's not magic it's medication and it takes a while to work."

Sexually active uterus August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had the mirena for 6 weeks for heavy prolonged periods. Insertion wasn't painful, just uncomfortable. I had cramping for a couple of days after. I have had constant bleeding everyday since insertion although not anywhere near on the scale I was having pre mirena. However since insertion I have noticed I have very low mood, really bad anxiety, greasy skin, joint pain, very tearful, hair loss and hair growth on face is worse (I do have PCOS) I generally do not feel like myself. Would not recommend this to anyone, yet I have friends who love it."

Justme82 July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had IUD PUT IN IN April and continued on pill with this for two months. Started spotting during my last week of pills and then received the period from hell and it pretty much has NOT stopped! I went on this for heavy bleeding and long periods and was told it would more than likely eliminate my period.....however, just the opposite! We are in July amd I have had a period, light bleeding or spotting EVERY day? Wish I had have just endured the heavy periods for 9 or so days as this is ridiculous. Thought about having it removed but read that some people bleed for months after removal. STRONGLY RECOMMEND NOT USING Mirena IUD."

cyberjaxz (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 18 years old, I have no children, and I'm not sexually active. Ever since I was 11 I've had extensive issues with my period. After trying a number of different methods that didn't work to control the bleeding and pain, my doctor suggested mirena. I had it inserted under general anesthetic, the first few days I was crampy but the cramps were nothing compared to the accidental rip from the speculum (ouch!). I started bleeding immediately after insertion, and in 3 months it still hasn't stopped. It's gone down to a back and forth between light to medium bleeding and spotting. I can usually get by with a thick pantyliner. I've had some awful cramps while ovulating and on heavier days. Helpful with lessening blood loss, not cramps."

CrampyButBleedingLess (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been bleeding non stop before Mirena and after. I am so frustrated . I keep worrying and looking things up thinking I might have a tumor or some other deadly illness! My Dr.keeps saying to wait. I am beginning to think these doctors get a kick back on these devices ! I have started clotting now with it. My body has betrayed me. If this works for any one for bleeding I have yet to read one review saying so. Use caution when making the choice. It's like the drug company knows we are desperate for a cure to the excessive bleeding and will try any thing to get it to stop....some one is making a killing on these lame devices !!!!"

Lorrieb4nafter June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 35 years old mother of 2 with extremely heavy, long cycles. On the pill prior to children. Decided not to go back on the pill after because I felt mentally better without mood swings. 6 years after 2nd child I had enough of the heavy, long cycles which have given me anemia. I decided it was time to dive right in and give the Mirena a try. I have heard women who love it and those who hate it. It was worth the try to me. But try to stick it out for the first 3 months as your body needs time to adjust. I took Advil prior to procedure. I experienced absolutely NO pain. I was aware my OBGYN was in there, swab, measure and insert but that's it. I did spot afterwards for a couple of days but no complaints. I believe an OBGYN should perform the insertion"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got Mirena because I had abnormal cells found in my uterus. I had always been regular as clockwork and beginning March I started bleeding heavy enough to fill the overnight extra long/absorbent incontinence pads! Did that for month of March and April pending Dr. appt. Mirena supposed to get rid of "bad" abnormal cells with progestin hormone only. Between biopsy and insertion of IUD (no kids) most painful experience ever! Have had light pink and brown discharge since insertion but had sex for first time with my husband in 5 months due to all this and now I'm cramping, bleeding again at slower rate - filling a light pantyliner, but when going to restroom pee to red water and blood when wiping. Feel like I'm starting over."

Unsure about me (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went to my doc because of heavy bleeding and horrible cramps. Have PCOS and polyps. Had a hysteroscopy, D&C, removal of polyps and had the IUD placed. All as a way of stopping the excessive blood flow (anemic as a result). Bled for 20 days straight. Then had the same period as before, no changes. I'm now 4 months out and I'm having a period every 2 weeks. This one I'm on now is so bad that I'm headed to the ER. I have been passing huge clots for 2 days now (like golf ball size and larger) in addition to passing enough blood to fill two overnight extra long/heavy pads in about an hour to two hours. I've also developed horrible acne. I do not trust my doctor. She acted like this was the perfect solution to my issues. Not."

PeriodDisaster (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had my Mirena IUD for seven weeks. The insertion was so painful I almost passed out, and I went blind from the pain during the insertion. Then, after that, I bled for a whole MONTH after insertion. After six weeks, I went to the ER due to the pain I was still in. It wasn't normal pain at all, and although I had exterior symptoms of PID, all the tests they ran came back normal and the ultra sound said it was properly placed. It just kept getting worse and worse until I could barely stand the pain was so unbearable. Went to urgent care as it was closer to my house. They removed the IUD and right as it came out I instantly felt better. I don't recommend this IUD at all! Some notes: I've never had kids. I was put on this for PCOS."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got the Mirena inserted to treat heavy bleeding & to prevent pregnancy. Before this I was taking birth control pills (sprintec) and stopped because they were causing significant hair loss and depression. Since I have stopped using them my hair has been growing back in. I have also noticed that I don't feel depressed as often). Mirena has been effective at preventing pregnancy but the dark brown discharge I get every single day makes me feel so disgusting that I have no desire whatsoever to have sex (it only stopped when I went back on the pill WITH the IUD but returned after 3 months when I stopped the pills again). To people who have menorraghia: please reconsider getting the Mirena IUD."

ak123789 May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had the mirena inserted on 5/1/17, before been suggested by my doctor I was on a lupron injection, which was throwing my body into menopause , being I'm only 38. My doctor highly suggested Mirena . It wasn't a bad experience having it placed. I spotted at insertion, no cramps. However the next day and every day since I've had the worst cramps, I started spotting a week after insertion and haven't stopped, I've also noticed I'm starting to get acne . I see my doctor in three weeks, I'm seriously considering getting it removed. I got it to keep from having the surgery of having the lining of my uterus abolished. Really considering the lupron injection again, no pain or bleeding with it. I don't want the surgery , due to I'm getting married"

Mek38NC May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had mirena inserted in December 2016 due to very heavy periods. I have no children and do not intend to. I'm 45 years old and my periods have not been lighter and my cramps are still awful. For at least 2 full days on my period I can not sleep through the night. I have to change my clothes, tampons pad and sometimes the bed sheets. I was hoping this would work but I am losing all hope. I'm giving it one more month and then going to the doctor again"

Ldisanto May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Age 23. I had my 1st Mirena at age 18 due to very heavy and painful periods. The first 3 years my period had stopped (can't remember after what month) with just a few days of spotting here and there. During the last 2 year of my Mirena insertion, my period returned. They were normal when compared to my periods before the insertion. So I had a new Mirena inserted 12/14/16. It's been 5 months and I have had very heavy periods every month with painful cramps. I have to empty my menstrual cup every 3 hours (when nomal periods can go 12hrs without emptying). I'm going to wait another month to see what happens but I might switch to the pill if this continues. Has anyone's period stopped after 6 months or a year?"

When will period end? May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After third marina.....heavy bleeding.... normal??"

Bdavies May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got my Mirena inserted in November 2016. Since then, I've been bleeding nearly every day, with heavier cycles of bleeding approximately every two weeks. I have no clue what's my actual period and what's not. My doctor said that if bleeding doesn't stop by 6 months it likely never will so I'm not sure where to go from here? Has anyone ever had an IUD in for 6+ months with constant bleeding and then it all of a sudden slowed or stopped? I really don't want to get it removed because it is nice not having to worry about other forms of birth control, I can't take the pill for other medical reasons so this was my next best option. Just extremely frustrated"

FrustratedPerson2017 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 43yo and had the Mirena inserted a month/half ago. I have to say I have gained weight excessively (12lbs) but I DO eat a lot and have not been to the gym as I usually do on a regular basis, so in time I will be able to factor in the cause/effect appropriately. Insertion was "uncomfortable" but bearable. I have read many of the reviews and have to say it is definitely dependent on the person. You will always hear the bad, but for anyone contemplating the Mirena I would do my research on the pros /cons and know you that there are chances of it not giving you the results you want (outside of the bc); i.e. weight gain, acne, etc. I have not had any bleeding or spotting and I get a bloated feeling every now but nothing painful."

DGee May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had the mirena for 9 months. I was super nervous About having it inserted but it wasn't bad at all. A little uncomfortable but not awful. I bled for about 3 months as expected before beginning to lighten and eventually didn't bleed at all. It was wonderful and I have loved my mirena ever since. However I started bleeding heavily again about a week ago and I'm a little concerned. Hesitant to go to my doctor about what seems like a period but I think I need to."

KyrannosaurusRex (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doc highly recommended the IUD. Said it was the next best thing to sliced bread. I had it inserted Aug 2016. After 8 months of constant bleeding/spotting, I went back to see my doc and she has put me on birth control (Lolo) for the next three months to stop the bleeding. After two weeks of adding the pill to the IUD, I started spotting again. I just want to cry! I really don't want to have the IUD taken out as I have lasted this long. I wish I had a crystal ball to see into the future. I don't know what to do. Help!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This Friday will be 5 weeks since I've gotten my Mirena. When I got it put in I had been off my period for 5 days. It was crampy getting it placed but was not as bad as I thought it would be. I was a little light headed after wards and had to sit for a minute before driving home. I spotted very lightly for about two days and then on the third day I started what seemed like a heavy period. I've been bleeding heavy since then with a few light spotting days. I'd go almost a whole day without bleeding thinking it was about to stop but then I would start again. The cramps would get so bad that T3s didn't even help much. These last 3 days I've started to notice small tissue clots in the blood and the smell is bad. I see my OB Friday."

Kaylynne88 April 18, 2017