User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 152 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"I have had the mirena for 9 months. I was super nervous About having it inserted but it wasn't bad at all. A little uncomfortable but not awful. I bled for about 3 months as expected before beginning to lighten and eventually didn't bleed at all. It was wonderful and I have loved my mirena ever since. However I started bleeding heavily again about a week ago and I'm a little concerned. Hesitant to go to my doctor about what seems like a period but I think I need to."

KyrannosaurusRex (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doc highly recommended the IUD. Said it was the next best thing to sliced bread. I had it inserted Aug 2016. After 8 months of constant bleeding/spotting, I went back to see my doc and she has put me on birth control (Lolo) for the next three months to stop the bleeding. After two weeks of adding the pill to the IUD, I started spotting again. I just want to cry! I really don't want to have the IUD taken out as I have lasted this long. I wish I had a crystal ball to see into the future. I don't know what to do. Help!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This Friday will be 5 weeks since I've gotten my Mirena. When I got it put in I had been off my period for 5 days. It was crampy getting it placed but was not as bad as I thought it would be. I was a little light headed after wards and had to sit for a minute before driving home. I spotted very lightly for about two days and then on the third day I started what seemed like a heavy period. I've been bleeding heavy since then with a few light spotting days. I'd go almost a whole day without bleeding thinking it was about to stop but then I would start again. The cramps would get so bad that T3s didn't even help much. These last 3 days I've started to notice small tissue clots in the blood and the smell is bad. I see my OB Friday."

Kaylynne88 April 18, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"At age 38, I had a Mirena inserted. It was uncomfortable and I had spotting for the next 2 weeks. My doctor informed me of this so the bleeding was expected. I have been having light periods every 2-3 months for 6 days. This month after a year of having the Mirena, I have the never ending period! It's been 3 1/2 weeks and counting and I've got the most horrible cramps. They started before my period and I need to take Advil daily to get through the day. I have no idea what is going on after all this time. Is this normal?! My doctor kept telling me I'd be so happy and satisfied by this and have less bleeding and likely no periods. I'm going to see her in a couple weeks but I'm really starting to wonder if this is the birth control for me."

Chrissy2017 April 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was on mirena almost two years and it was very bad. Bleeding non stop after insertion for a couple months , and now it's been out for almost 6 months and I've been bleeding a lot again. I spotted 3 times in between my periods this month and my doctor said around 6 months after my periods would be back to normal... well they are not at all! I'm going to see when my doctor can see me next week because this is out of control. Worst birth control. Should have tried the depo provera or just birth control pills again"

Ottawachick (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Got mirena December 2016 for heavy bleeding. I'm 47. Have bled almost every day since then. This is awful. At least I'm not heavily bleeding, it's light to medium. I'll give it until June then I'm done. I hate it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had the mirena put in 2 days after my cycle ended Feb 14 2017. It's been almost 3 months and I'm still bleeding. Had only a few days of no blood- spotting. I ready to give it up due to bleeding, however my unbearable cramps have been somewhat eliminated which was the reason for getting the mirena"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had the mirena in for 4 months. The first month I bled for about 2 weeks, but my doctor warned me about bleeding/spotting so I didn't think anything about it. Next month, bled for about 10 days,(normal cycle is 5 days) and the 3rd month, I bled for the entire month and 2 weeks into the next month. I went to the bathroom to urinate. I go to wipe myself and the mirena comes completely out. It was wrapped in huge blood clots, and I had an alarming amount of blood come out. I'm beyond frustrated. Bleeding for 6 weeks has not been fun at all, and now it comes out "

Kansascitygal (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had Mirena since March 2017. Dr said it would stop my period and I'd only need for about a year because I'm in peri-menapause. He also told me I would only bleed for a couple of days and then probably get my period lighter, for 3-6 months. No freakin way! I'm like a leaking water faucet of red. I wear a pad all night, nothing, I'll go to work, gush, go home and change. Had to wear an overnight pad and an ULTRA tampon every time before the Mirena.. Now, it's an overnight & HEAVY tampon. Ugh. No pain though, just lots of leakage. When will it end."

bloodlossissue (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have had in since Feb 27/17 been bleeding ever since, just when you think it's done more bleeding.... ready to take this thing out. Doctor checked said it's in place properly and confirmed with an ultrasound. Not getting pregnant which is awesome, also having less sex due to bleeding and cramping so suppose it's doing its job."

Bloodyhell (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had mirena inserted on 24/2/17 for abnormal uterine bleeding which started 24/1/17. Also prescribed 10mg provera 3 times a day. Well been bleeding ever since and sick of it. Bright red blood 2-3 pads a day. Pelvic pain, acne, feel fat, no energy, tired. See GYN on 4/4/17 and have to get blood tests beforehand. Have no iron so been on iron tablets since January. Think I want this out, don't know if I can handle another 5 months of bleeding."

RS6800 March 17, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went for a scan as my periods were heavy and not letting up. Whilst getting the scan the Dr said I recommend the Mirena implant to stop the bleeding and get me through the next 5 years. I am 47. So in it went, I didn't really know what it was. OMG insertion was very painful and cramps afterwards for 3 days were horrendous. More than I have ever experienced in my life. I had slight bleeding at the start then OMG heavy periods are back and I need to change every 2 hours. I have hd constant needing for 10 continuous days now and I cannot go on like this. I will be visiting my Dr on Monday. I wish I had read the reviews as I would not have got this fitted!"

Anonymous March 17, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've just turned 40. I have 3 children all by caesarean (19,16 and 9 yrs). I've had very heavy bleeding for a few years so after having blood tests and a biopsy of my uterus they found nothing wrong with me , so suggested the coil. I've had it in now for 15 months which at first was annoying as I bleed heavy for 92 continuous days! But since that its brilliant no side effects not even one. I haven't bleed again since . No headaches, pain, nothing. So when it's ready to come out I'll have another put in."

Emma - Lou March 14, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had no difference in bleeding since inserted 8 months ago. Time to get it removed,over it!"

No difference (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 13, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Reason for getting Mirena: I am 40 yrs old, have endometriosis & terrible periods (the kind that kept me home 1-2 days a month in bed with cramps and bleeding), & no plans to have kids. On paper, I am the perfect candidate for the IUD. Insertion was THE WORST PAIN OF MY LIFE. Fortunately, it lasted only a few minutes. My legs got pretty tired during the procedure and started shaking some. My Dr encouraged me to relax more, so I literally let my legs fall open in the stirrups (imagine knees falling to the sides, towards the floor). THAT HELPED HUGELY. Once I let my legs fall open and to the sides, my inner thighs released, and my pelvic floor relaxed. If you've never given birth it will probably hurt!!!"

Bloodyhell March 12, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have inserted mirena 5 month ago and have twice a month bleeding,i dont know what should I do? It seems that its not going to adjust with my body :,("

Parisa.s March 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"In a matter of 3 years gained 44 lbs and had numerous softball size ovarian cysts. I ran and ate healthy, no change in diet (trained for marathon) and continued to gain weight. Breast pain and acne."

llauder4 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 8, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had the Mirena for 2.5 years and just had it removed as I couldn't take the non-stop bleeding and migraine headaches anymore. The bleeding has already stopped and the pelvic tightness has already eased. I've had virtually no sex drive for a long time but didn't make the association until I started doing more research. I am 47 and got it for heavy periods and cramping but wish I had done something else. It just wasn't worth the misery of the past two years."

LB1704 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 4, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got it because I had painful cramping and heavy bleeding but my first Mirena slipped down and now I have a new one and I still have bleeding and horrible cramping. I am 23 years old"

LindsayD (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a baby 13 years ago, since then I have tried pills and the nuvaring. and I just got the IUD inserted a little over 2 weeks ago, it was very painful , cramped after and started spotting a few hours later. a few days later I started bleeding heavy so I figured I started my period since it was time anyways, been on period since and cramping on and off, some dizziness and on and off headaches . I knew I would have irregular bleeding just did not understand no breaks in between. I have an appointment in 3 months so I might get it removed . Good Luck everyone ."

Stephylane February 22, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My body reacted to implanon I have a face full of pus pimples. Took it out and Dr. Adviced to use mirena as it has lowest dosage of hormonal influences. 6 months later Inserted the mirena, I cramped for 1 day.. and started spotting from 28/7/2016 until yesterday decided to take it off. I have been spotting for more than 6 months.. sex drive decrease to 0. Dry vagina. Due to spotting for 6+months needed iron supplement."

Suffermum (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 14, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had Mirena for almost 4 years. I've had no luck with oral birth control. Low estrogen and progesterone only pills kill my sex drive. Higher estrogen pills make my breasts too sore. Unfortunately, I have stage 4 endometriosis and heavy, extremely painful periods due to cysts. I decided to try Mirena after surgery to prevent any further cysts. I've stuck it out for 4 years, but Mirena is in the category of hormones that have killed my sex drive. I haven't had sex in 4 years for lack of interest. I've realized that, although I never want to go through the pain of endometriosis and ovarian cysts again, giving up any chance at a relationship and being a sexual person is probably not worth it. But its so much easier to use than bc pills."

6431 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 31, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had the Mirena since March of 2015. It was a painful insertion. Since then, I've had migraines on a regular basis, acne, and decreased sex drive. I don't know if I should call them periods, but for weeks at a time since the insertion, there's the old super dark brown blood discharge. My OB-GYN put me on some medication for the bleeding, but it hasn't worked. I plan on getting it removed within the next couple of weeks."

Browneyes37 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 30, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I inserted the Mirena 5 month ago. Since I inserted the Mirena I am in a cycle of continuous bleeding. I bleed every single day. I will remove this nightmare on my next visit to the OBG."

holy789 ytt January 29, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I definitely can't say my experience with Mirena has been anything but crappy. The initial insertion of the IUD wasn't as bad as I imagined, didn't take more then 20 minutes. I was crampy for about a day and was already bleeding as I was on my period so I wouldn't have known the difference from spotting and my period. But its been over 4 months now n I'm still spotting. Mainly that brown end of the period kind of junk, can't really tell whats my actual period anymore. I do lighty bleed for a few days then it'll just go back to that brown spotting. Doctor said 3 months for spotting but the actual Mirena site said up to 6 months so well see here in a month or so. I don't know how much longer I'll keep it after 6 months..a year seems unlikely."

Blondie1205252 January 26, 2017