User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 144 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"I got the Merina inserted for Heath issues as I have heavy clot ( bleeding )  I had the Merina inserted under sedation for $490 and on day 24 it had dislodged ( I did not have months prior and post insert ).i called the clinic and told them that it dislodged and that I was feeling unwell with a fever,nausea and cramping they told me that they needed to see me within 24 to 48hrs but the were booked out and advised me to see my GP for antibiotics and painkiller while waiting to see them .6 days after it dislodged they saw me,gave me an ultrasound and said 'sorry this has happen ,and couldn't understand why it has'.The doctor that Had performed the insert was very nice and compassionate and sent me to see the receptionist regarding the re-insert and pricing if any.  I saw the receptionist  I asked them if they can do another one and was told yes but I'll have to pay $490. I said that it was no fault of mine and that they need to do it for free or under Medicare . Heartlessly they showed me my signature that I had signed the disclaimer that this can happen and that they won't replace it free of charge or under Medicare . No compassion, very cold when presenting me with the documents that I signed.  I was so upset and devastated that I burst out crying and left the clinic cos I can't afford to pay for another one . Never again will I deal with them ."

DevastatedNik- July 17, 2016

"I was put on mirena 9 months ago to help with my heavy periods and thickened womb lining. I found the insertion proceedure very distressing and painful. Psychologically, I was a bit messed up for a few days because it felt like I had something alien inside me and was terrified that it would move position and damage me. My periods are a lot lighter, but they drag in for longer. I never know when I'm going to get one, but the current cycle is about 20 days. Because about 10 days of that is bleeding, I don't get much of a break. I'm unhappy with mirena but I worry about the alternative. I do t want ablation or hysterectomy, so is it besfor me just to put up and shut up?"

Louisejy July 6, 2016

"Had Mirena inserted due to heavy bleeding and cramping. Did wonders right away. My periods were very light while on it. However I began having back and leg pain almost immediately, and after 3 1/2 months had a major attack of sciatica, to the point that o could hardly walk. This occurred 4 weeks ago and I'm still having pain and numbness in my back, leg and foot. Had iud removed as I've read that this can be a side effect."

Vivat kin July 5, 2016

"I have had Mirena for 3 months now and I have been bleeding EVERY DAY since. They said 3 months of Irregular bleeding and spotting, they never said anything about having a perminant light period. I'm so over it...."

Fed up and over it June 9, 2016

"I have had my iud for 4 years now and have recently been experiencing sever heavy bleeding for the last 3-4 months. Other than that it has worked"

Ali.m142 June 8, 2016

"I have had the mirena for 18 months now. I am getting it removed on Friday. The 2 major reasons is weight gain (10 lbs) that is a lot for me as I am a personal trainer and it has killed my sex drive! I have always had a higher than average libido and for the past year it is gone. Not worth it to me. I would rather have my painful periods back!!!"

AmeliaRowlans June 8, 2016

"I've had mirena for a month now, other than the off and on bleeding I've experienced no crazy hormonal changes or weight gain. I was worried to start a birth control with heavy hormones because everything I've tried when I was younger really packed on the pounds. After giving birth to my little one I decided mirena was the right choice for me. I'm super happy so far with my choice although I can't wait for the constant bleeding to stop but I know it will with time. I also felt nothing with the insertion process but I think it's because I recently had a baby."

Kikivv May 29, 2016

"After years of having my periods every 2 1/2 weeks i decided to try the Mirena as a last option. I've had it in for 6 months. Its so great not to be bleeding all the time but I'm not sure if its the Mirena but i have gained weight and i continue to gain it and its freaking me out. I've been exercising and eating really well but I've slowly crept from a size AUS 14 up and up. I actually probably eat less than before the Mirena. Going to the dr to suss it out. Its not just the weight gain though. My hair has thinned dramatically. Next step hysterectomy."

Jadles123456789 May 24, 2016

"I got Mirena inserted about 3 monthes ago and I am so happy that I did. I had been on 4 different types of birth control pills and each of them affected me differently. I gained weight, had terrible mood swings, didn't have a sex drive, and was always fatigued. Now that I have gotten Mirena everything has changed... I lost almost 10 pounds now back to where I was before I ever started the pills! I weigh around 122 and when I was on the pills I weighed 132 and I was miserable. Mirena has made me have light bleeding here and there but my doctor said that it is just my body adjusting. I am very satisfied with it and I hope that it treats me well for the next 5 years!"

CarolineG May 24, 2016

"I am 25 (2016) and got it inserted in December 2014. Insertion: a painful procedure for a tiny insertion. Followed by intense discomfort and pelvic pain, constant bleeding and pelvic and vaginal pain. Symptoms: first month or so nonstop bleeding, mood imbalance. 3 months. Continued frequent bleeding weight gain of 5 pounds. 6 months gained 15 pounds 1.5 years gained 20 pounds ( vegan, fit although no weight loss or maintenance) Experienced depressive symptoms such as lack of excitement, happiness, and lack of interest in previously preferred activities, fatigue and lethargy. I WAS GIVEN AS A METHOD TO TREAT NOT ONLY MENNORAGIA BUT OVARIAN CYST PAIN. REMOVE AS THIS IS COUNTERINTUITIVE AS ONE OF THE RISK"

Crohnscyster (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 22, 2016

"Im 41 years old with irregular bleeding. I have had mirena in for 9 months, and so far so good."

mature women (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 19, 2016

"i had this in under duress whilst having camera n biopsy..within 24hours i had headaches felt hot and flushed...over 4 days i felt really bloated and down...haf it took out after 6 days and instantly felt better"

michelleg45 (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2016

"Due to a blod clot history in my family I can't take hormones.....thus the Mirena IUD was recommend to help deal with my heavy non stop bleeding. I had it put in 2 months ago. The bleeding is not gushing anymore but I am still bleeding every single day, non stop. Such a drag. I still have cramps. I am moody and sore and feel like crap. I hate it! I want to take it out tomorrow but then what if the hemorrhaging comes back? Stuck between a rock and a hard place. It all sucks."

Mirena Sucks May 15, 2016

"I got my the mirena because I didn't want to have a hysterectomy, I have had it now bout 2yrs I will say that it stop the bleeding for me but it did cause me to gain like 20 pounds and is very painful for me during Intercourse which I don't like about having this just glad not to be bleeding 20 days out of the month (very heavy). So I will say that it did what I expected just the weight gain ."

Prisc.B May 14, 2016

"I'm in the final year of my 5. Having spent the vast majority of the last 3 years with no bleeding I'm now having a period or something. Has been 4 days now, should I be concerned? Advice please"

Windswept but not barren May 7, 2016

"2.3 years ago I inserted Mirena to reduce the amount of bleeding. But I am bleeding even now. "NEVER STOP""

Always sunshine May 7, 2016

"Mirena IUD was the best decision I ever made. It gave me my life back. I almost lost my job due to extremely debilitating periods. I bled on and off for the first 3 months and still had some cramps. By 6 months my period had almost disappeared. I've had the IUD for 4 years now and I'll be lining up for another one in 12 months time."

CittCatt May 5, 2016

"Honestly, I am still one of the undecided... I have/had dysmenorrhia that lasted a full 7 days each month. My tubes were tied 20 plus years ago. Perhaps it is genetics that I am in the place I am today because my mother went through many of the same symptoms and eventually had a hysterectomy. After discovering a large submucosal fibroid that was removed, I started to experience sharp pain ( which escalated from simple cramps ) when my cycle hit. The Mirena is my last viable option before surgery. It was place a week and a half ago. Within 4 days of its placement and seeing my doctor again because of pelvic pain from the jabs and sticks I felt, I'd lost 2 pounds. More weight is coming off 3 days later but still have pain."

LB1969 (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2016

"I was leary of getting the Mirena based on poor reciews of continued bleeding, but since the doctor told me "only 5% of women have those issues" I went ahead and had it inserted on Monday of last week. I was cycle day 5 and at the tail end of my period-read my lining should be very thin!!! Mon and Tuesday were great! A little cramping and very mild spotting. Wednesday however the flood gates opened. By Friday if I stood up I could see and feel the blood coming out. This is 100% unacceptable to me. I have emailed my gyn and told her I either want a script for estrogen which supposedly helps stop the bleeding or I want it out NOW. I am not going to wait and see if it regulates in 3 months. This is bs, 5%, right"

SusanL1974 April 25, 2016

"I found the mirena great. It wasn't very painful to have put in. It took 6/8 months to settle. For the first month's I had bleeding on and off all month. After 8 months I hadn't any periods. I replaced it with a new coil after 5 years. The only side effects I noticed were ance between 8months and 12 months."

Pinkboh (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 24, 2016

"Hi, I am on this site looking for information for my niece who is has had an IUD for a couple of years. After reading so many women comment that they tried the IUD because of heavy bleeding, I wanted to share my experience. I had very heavy bleeding and painful periods my whole life. In my forties I discovered a supplement called Cool Cayenne. It is a cayenne pepper capsule sold at health food stores. It helped my periods become lighter and cramping ceased. When I felt my period coming on I started to take one or two capsules and this helped greatly. If you are on an IUD strictly for a heavy period ( and do not need one for birth control), then you should research cayenne and heavy periods/cramps. The brand I took is Solaray."

Lynn Carter April 15, 2016

"Had my Mirena removed after only 3 months. Yes, it did significantly reduce monthly bleeding and cramping, but the negative side effects far outweighed the little positive effects. I am fortunate to live a very good life and have never experienced depression; however during the 3 months I had Mirena I felt very sad and depressed for no reason. I also had zero sex drive all the time - not just certain times of the month. Gained 10 pounds in 3 months while exercising vigorously on a regular basis and eating very healthy foods 1500 calories a day. I know my body very well and I know how to lose weight, but nothing worked this time. Also experienced tingling in my hands and feet. Looking forward to getting my life back after Mirena!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016

"Hi ladies. Just wanted to share this with you and maybe ask several questions. I have Mirena for one month. My period before Mirena was 02.03.2016. After insertion I was bleeding around 4 days. After that I had spotting and then my period on 28.03.2016 ( 7 days- my regular one,before Mirena was 5 days). So, after my period I continued spotting and today I got my period again (13.04.) I didn't know thats possible.Every side effect affected me and I do not know how long I am going to "survive" with this thing in me. I have PMS, my boobs are painful not to mention cramps and ovarian pain...headaches.I am blown up and yes I do have a gooooood appetite these days. All of that obviously affecting my mood. What do you reckon- in or out? Thanks."

Maria J.A. April 13, 2016

"Minor bleeding for a few weeks after insitu. After that - none at all. Don't even know where I am in my cycle- no pain or bleeding. Only cost $30 for 5 years! Feel sorry for those who don't have one!"

Miranda Ham April 13, 2016

"My periods have been incredibly irregular. I bleed every time I am sexually active."

Gz0930 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2016