User Reviews for Remicade

Learn more about Remicade.

Remicade Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 206 medications used in the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis.

Reviews for Remicade to treat Ulcerative Colitis

"Remicade has been a miracle for me. Last year this time I was totally desperate and thinking of get rid of my colon due to severe UC. Now, I am totally healthy and no sign of UC!!! If u r suffering from UC, give it a try without any doubt. Thanks to science and researchers. Of course, it takes couple of months to feel the full effect of it, but as soon as I got the first infusion I felt its positive effect. Its combination with Azathioprine works much better."

FeriSweden July 12, 2016

"My younger brother was on remicade for 10 years , and yes it helped him with the uc but he just passed away from cancer and liver failure at 27 years old most likely from the years of remicade. So I am leaving the warning to be careful and think that this is just some miracle drug. Everything has consequences"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) May 13, 2016

"When my daughter was 13, she had a sudden and severe onset of UC. She was hospitalized for 2 weeks (had constant pain, couldn't eat, and was going to the bathroom 15-20x/ day). She was given IV steroids/medications with no improvement of symptoms. The day after receiving remicade, her pain was gone and she wanted to eat. She went into complete remission and has had no symptoms for the last 4 years. She does remicade infusions every 10 weeks. It has been her wonder drug! But my other dtr was diagnosed with crohns a year later at 11. Her onset was slower and she was put on various medications first. Remicade worked for her for several months but then became less effective even with increasing dose and frequency so she was switched to humi"

Eaimom (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 10, 2016

"Initially helped me for around 1 1/2 years, then began to lose its potency, and last two treatments had bad reaction night of treatment. More important platelet count went from normal to around 45,000. No longer taking Remicade and my platelet count is normal now."

tuco (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 4, 2016

"I've been getting Remicade infusions for about 15 years. It is the ONLY drug that helped me. I'd been in remission for the past 5 years. Last infusion, my insurance wouldn't pay the hospital. After back and forth communications from doctor, hospital and insurance companies..Medicare...Blue Cross/Blue shield,..Tricare....doctor decreased my max dosage to 1/2 dose. Now I'm having a flare. It's a wonderful drug but the cost is exorbitant...especially for old people like me. Sure was good while the Remicade ride was working. Good luck all"

bgiz February 25, 2016

"I was diagnosed with UC in March 2015 out of nowhere.. Rapidly got bad and needed to be hospitalized for a week to get the flare under control.. Was given heavy doses of steroids (awful) and they did nothing to help.. I was released from the hospital after a week and symptoms were still bad.. About 2 weeks later after not being able to eat and losing 20lbs I was barely able to walk and was readmitted, this time I went to Columbia in NYC.. I wasn't able to eat for the full first week in the hospital and symptoms were steadily horrible.. My doctor decided to give me a loading dose of remicade and the results were almost immediate! I have been on remicade every 8 weeks since and don't have a single symptom of UC It's been a life saver!"

Jmaya (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 21, 2016

"I was diagnosed with UC in my late 20s and never had to take anything heavy like Remicade. In my late 40s now and for the past 3 months, I've been upgraded to severe UC. Was put on Remicade and just finished my 2nd round. So far, I have not seen major results. Very discouraged! I want to change my diet and I'm trying but I also have 3 kids and its hard to change everything completely and have them eat what I eat. Does anyone know if this medication works? How long should I give it?"

mdubb February 20, 2016

"I was diagnosed with pan UC 2 years ago. My doctor gave me different medication that didn't work for me and made me worse. I lost 20 pounds in two weeks and didn't eat or drink anything because I would go to the bathroom ten times a day. My doctor finally recommended remicade, symptoms went down and a year later I've started flaring up again. They increased dosage and I get it every month now. But while I'm writing this my flare ups started again and it's been two weeks of bleeding and my doctor is on vacation. I don't know to do next, I don't want to have surgery."

Derek87 December 28, 2015

"I was diagnosed with uc in my twenties. For many years I maintained with various medications and only a couple of relatively minor flare ups. Suddenly at age 56 I had a severe flare up that did not respond to prednisone. Removing colon was brought up. After much suffering and weight loss for about 3 months I was put on Remicade by my wonderful GI. Within a couple of weeks my condition began to improve. I am now almost 7 years with infusions every 8 weeks. I am very grateful for this medication, although I do wonder if my immune system is weakened. It really doesn't compare to almost dying or having major surgery. I know it doesn't work for everyone but for me it was a miracle."

WNYer (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 27, 2015

"Have had uc and chrons for about a year now and started off with a serious flare that had me bed ridden. I was finally talked into trying remicade and a couple days after the initial dose I felt great with no pains. A week after the dose I developed c diff and was right back to square one. So I got the c diff taken care of and did a second dose and the c diff came right back. So I got that taken care of again and did 3rd dose and guess what c diff again. I told my GI I wasn't going to waste my time or money on it anymore. I went to the Mayo in Minn for a second opinion on my condition and after days of testing they said that I had already developed antibodies to the remicade. I'm not sure the remicade caused the c diff but now to humira."

Woodjunkie (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2015

"I was given Remicade while in the hospital. They premedicated me with Tylenol and Benadryl. After the Benadryl wore off, I broke out with severe hives from head to toe. I took Benadryl and then Zyrtec for ten days and neither helped the hives much. Thankfully, they finally went away. Horrible experience. I looked like I had a plague."

NotAhappyUc'er September 17, 2015

"I could not get the colitis under control for 18 months, finally my doctor prescribed Remicade. Well after the first treatment bleeding stopped and I feel like a normal person again. Only small side effect for me is I feel a bit dizzy just after the treatment"

Aussieboy (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2015

"I was diagnosed 3 years ago with severe Ulcerative Colitis. Asacol and predisone worked at first, but after each outbreak the medicines seemed less effective. My last attack left me under 100lbs, severely anemic, and in enough pain that I needed to be kept in a continuous Dilaudid-induced daze. So many people have told me how terrible Remicade is and that I just need to, "find the right diet". If diet works for you, great! Remicade was the only thing that worked for me. The cons: It's expensive, but luckily my insurance covers it. It's inconvenient to go to the hospital every 6 weeks. I havn't noticed any side effects except hair loss at first, but now my hair is growing back. I've been told that the hair loss could also have been from all the weight loss."

DaniMac March 10, 2015

"Life-changing. I once thought I was doomed to a life of pain and suffering. Now that I've been on Remicade for 3 years, I feel like a normal human being again. My disease has become a small part of my life and I don't even think about it much anymore. I do seem to be slowly losing response. I had to increase the frequency of infusions and now I sometimes have minor symptoms around the time I am due for my next dose. I was nervous when I started this medicine because of the trips to the hospital for infusions and because my doctor at the time made it sound like a huge deal to be on this. I wish I had started it sooner!"

Tomh219 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2014

"I have been getting Remicade infusions for 4 1/2 years. I went into remission within a week of my first infusion. My only side effects I have are headaches and some chest pain off and on. But considering how my life was before Remicade I can handle it for now."

linkman12 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 17, 2013

"I had a second relapse of Ulcerative Colitis in 2005. I spent 2 weeks in hospital, been given a fist full of medicines and sent home. Nothing worked. I contemplated having surgery to free me of the disease and wear an ostomy. To my eternal gratitude, my Gastro MD suggested Remicade. After my last colonoscopy in 2013, he said if I had not seen you as sick as you were... your colon looks perfectly healthy. I will accept the side effects (I have experienced none as of yet) to have my life back. Remicade has assistance programs to help those who need it. I am not a spokesman, I do not sell this. But I use and will as long as I can. I wish this medicine was around for my Dad as he suffered with Crohns and Colitis for years."

UC sine 1986 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 12, 2013

"I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis about 12 years ago and have been on Remicade for about 2 of those years. I am still taking Asacol and getting the Remicade infusions every 8 weeks, but I feel about 90-95% better since being on Remicade. I have not noticed any real side effects from taking Remicade, but I have heard from other patients that they have had them. I still think that if I had any side effects (with the exception) of major ones, I would stay on it as long as I can. The only thing I honestly can complain about is the cost. I would say if anyone is being told that it is an option for their ulcerative colitis or any of the other issues that are in the same family (IBS, Crohn's, etc) it is a huge help."

MechelleMyBelle29 May 8, 2013

"I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in Nov. They thought they that had it under control, so after being in the hospital for three weeks, I went home for two and almost died! I went back and stayed for over a month. The docs were trying everything with no answers, then they told me about Remicade and said it was for Crohn's disease, but we could try it out and see because it was my last hope. I really was happy to see that it was working and in the first of Jan I went home! I have had a kidney stone because of it, and it has acted up which made docs think it was either my appendix or diverticulitis. I still take it every 8wk through I.V, but the only other problem that I'm experiencing is hair loss now and I don't know if its the Remicade."

momoftwo2316 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2013

"I was diagnosed wit Ulcerative Colitis 3 years ago after being on several different meds for it. My doc and I decided to try Remicade.. it works fine I think but the side effect for me was diarrhea. Plus the cost I just couldn't afford it any longer. I am back on Asacol."

tkgocats March 12, 2013

"Remicade literally gave me my life back 9 yrs ago. I was so ill ; in & out of hospitals, steroids, taking 20+ pills a day & I was still extremely sick. I finally went to Philly (where on my first visit, they were planning my surgery to remove my colon..during that conversation I stopped listening.) My dr. suggested I give Remicade a try - before surgery. At that point, I would have done anything. Honestly I did not believe anything would work since I had this disease for years and could barely function. The Remicade worked like magic - it is liquid gold - I have never had any side effects or adverse reactions - I have been in remission ever since!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 15, 2013

"The medicine works great. I've been on it for almost 2 years. The only thing is I'm getting a lot of the side effects. The one thing that is very bad is the itching on my arms that have lasted a long time. No medicine has helped so if anyone has any ideas on how to stop the itching please give me ideas. The only good thing about this medicine is that it's helping my ulcerative colitis."

d37 September 30, 2011

"I used Remicade for a little over a year and it helped tremendously. While I was on it I never felt better. The only reason I had to stop taking it was because I lost my insurance after I was laid off. My doctors office found a program to help pay for the treatments and I will be going back on the Remicade soon. Can't wait."

Anonymous May 27, 2011

"Have had Ulcerative Colitis for 4 years. 3 years ago started Remicade at 5ml per Kilo, with only mild help. Only other choice was surgery. Switched Doctor who immediately doubled dose to 10ml (which I think is the normal dose) so I probably was under-medicated for 2 years. However higher dose has not helped much more. Have had almost no side effects. One allergic reaction early on to the infusion. Only minor problem is the skin on my hands and arms seems very thin and very easily bleeds from the slightest scratch. So for me it has not worked as hoped. "

J.L. August 31, 2010

"I've been on Remicaid for 4 years for UC. I am in complete remission...its unfortunate that it's an IV infusion, but I will gladly deal with this versus the effects of Ulcerative Colitis."

Anonymous April 29, 2008

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate