User Reviews for Indomethacin

Also known as: Indocin, Indocin IV, Indocin SR, Tivorbex

Learn more about Indomethacin.

Indomethacin Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Gout, Acute.

Reviews for Indomethacin to treat Gout, Acute

"Two days ago, I got really painful gout attack into my left toe and upper part of my foot and my heal on the right foot was hurting. My left foot hurt so bad, it was driving me insane. I tried black cherries, celery, drank tons of organic apple cider vinegar with mother last time but nothing helped so I did go see a doctor and they prescribed indomethacin 50mg three times per day and methylprednisolone tablets (start with 6 first day, 5 next day down to 1). I decided to do what somebody else here suggested and it worked like a miracle. I took 2 Indomethacin tablets in the morning and 2 methylprednisolone and something amazing happened. The pain was almost gone and swelling subsided. Around 3pm I took the same dose and I was able to walk."

Smolen64 August 30, 2016

"This drug is a LIFECHANGER! I see that others have had some bad experiences, but for me...it takes me from excruciating...nearly unbearable pain, to near-total relief within hours. Yes, there's something very edgy about it...and if not taken carefully, with food...it can scramble your head for a while. But for extreme gout attacks in my toes...and some kind of terribly nasty shoulder inflammation and searing pain...it has been, by far, the most effective medicine I have EVER taken. And, I have some experience with painkillers. I take Heavy duty narcotics for ruptured discs in my back that barely take the edge off that pain...and do nothing for gout attacks. Indocin has taken me from not being able to walk...to running, in an afternoon"

TexasPat August 25, 2016

"This medicine is a double edged sword. On my first attack I used it for a week, 50mg 3xdaily, with no results. After missing work, and getting absolutely fed up with the pain, I did something that I normally would never do, I changed the way I took this medicine. I started taking 2 50MG pills in the morning, then 2, 5-6 hours later, then, if needed, 2 at midnight. The first dose really helped, the second almost got rid of the attack entirely. I had to take 2 in the middle of the night on the first day, but by the next day my pain was almost gone and I could walk. Now, I did get rapid heart beat the first time I did this, so do at your own risk, but from what I have read 100mg is the max single dose, sometimes used for Rheumatoid Arthritis."

Jax77 August 20, 2016

"I an 61 years old, and never had an attack of gout until this past week. After 2 days, the pain was so bad I went to Dr and prescribed indomethacin. I take 3 50mg a day with food and pain has somewhat subsided. I still limp and can not put on my shoes. At least I can sleep. No bad side effects. I think I waited too long before taking this medication. I hope I never need it again but happy I now know about it."

T'BIRDS August 15, 2016

"May 2016, white male 51 yrs old, first gout attack. I was lifting heavy about 2 weeks ago and I over did red meat, chicken, salmon, two protein shakes per day at 30 grams each, aspirin almost daily and a 5 hour energy drink, junk food in there for good measure. Drink instant coffee excessively daily Did not like to drink water so likely became hydrated as well. I feel I brought this on with my eating habits but blood test came back 6.5 uric acid which was within normal range. I in total pain and missed 2 weeks of work. Doctor put me on Indomethacin after weeks of Advil, water, cherries, cherry juice, no red meat or alcohol, etc with no relief. Felt relief first hour. Did get a little dizzy but pain is almost gone after 1st pill."

Too Much Protein (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2016

"I'm 40 yr old healthy female that mysteriously had my first gout attack this week. I thought my toes were broken. I got into the doc right away and he rx'd indomethacin. Well I'm 4 days after the attack and getting around pretty good and started managing it with just aleve by the 3Rd day but I quit the indomethacin because the side effects were terrible. Bad headaches, really tired, dizzy. I thought it was the vicodin given to me for the pain but my side effects worsened even after I quit vicodin. Everyone is different and I would have taken anything on day 1 to try and help the pain but I quit taking this drug as soon as my foot cleared up. The drug is unbearable. Hopefully no new attacks for me and this is a freak thing."

Goutgirl2 May 22, 2016

"I am going on week 6 of an attack. The colchicine, cherry juice, Diet, eating 25-30 cherries a day, drank so much water I am developing gills and swimming with the fishes and steroids and nothing has worked. The pain has been gone for 4 weeks now but not the inflammation. I am back on the steroids again but in place of colchicine I am on Indomethacin. I hate to use the word depressing and gout in the same sentence but it does get of get me down I can't wear my boots and do what I want to do. I hope this works........"

Bob Ramsey May 16, 2016

"I tried tart cherries and cherry juice which helped some till I could see my doctor who prescribed 75 mg of Indomethacin ER, to take twice a day. That helped with the pain and not being able to sleep at night from the pain. My doctor gave me a refill on the script."

LoriB28 May 3, 2016

"The Generic drug is not working so well this time. I took INDOCIN 4 years ago and the gout went away in less than 4 days. I've learned that not wearing properly fitted shoes with arch and foot support can cause bunions leading to gout. Yes, Uric Acid is the root to gout but not wearing proper shoes can make gout worse and flair up. Drink tons of water as this reduced the swelling by 80% alone in 2 days W/O MEDS! I'm on the fence b/c I wake up and it's gone down a lot. 5 hours or so later, it's swelling up again despite eating little sugar, drinking lots or water, and not putting too much pressure on the foot. Maybe the GENERIC or this version is NOT AS EFFECTIVE AS THE MAIN BRAND - INDOCIN. Does any one care to share their thoughts?"

THIS MED IS ON THE FENCE? April 29, 2016

"I've had gout attacks for the last 10 years (I'm 63) , my father & grandfather had it - Attacks can last a few days to a couple of weeks & generally get worse over that period. Seem to be diet related - overdose of shrimp, scallops, tuna, oily fish, asparagus within a short period Indomethacin certainly gets rid of the gout quickly but the side effects are pretty awful & I stopped using it incls sleepiness & confusion bordering on zombiedom, depression, paranoid thoughts, affects vision, dry mouth etc. There must be better medication!"

Teddy 2 April 21, 2016

"I've had gout flare attacks since I was 27, I am 39 now. The latest one started a week ago and I took Tylenol and ibuprofen alternately, the pain seemed to subside but suddenly got really bad a couple of days ago. I went to the ER and they gave me some steroids and a prescription for indomethacin and hydrocodone. The good news is that I'm able to sleep but the bad news is that the swelling remains the same, so don't know how long it's going to take to get better. I cut my sugar intake because that's said to be number one. Fingers crossed. Is it the hydrocodone or the indomethacin helping me sleep, I don't know. I have one more hydrocodone left, will see after that :)"

Raj39 April 16, 2016

"I just had the worst gout attack I can remember. It started as ever in my toe and as my Diclofenac was long out of date I ordered more. After waiting the stipulated 48 hours my gout had flared on the opposite side of my foot as well. Walking, standing and sleeping were all distant memories. It was then I found out they don't give out Diclofenac any more and I tried Indometacin. I was on my feet the same night but I noticed the redness in my foot had changed from an even colour to more of a mottled rash. That was yesterday. Today my foot is puffy and inflated. Does that happen?"

HeehawBaws (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2016

"I am just near the end of a seven day attack and just found out about indomethacin ( must have been living under a rock) I have used prednisolone, colchine and others Most interested to try this , found the forum very useful"

Dave at home March 28, 2016

"Taking for to days no relief, VA said I can't get COLCHICINE. And my ankle is worse then when I started"

Anonymous March 10, 2016

"I have had gout on and off for over 10 years. I am 54 years old, whenever I feel an attack coming on, I try and take my indomethacin. The last few attacks it has been taking longer and longer to recover. I thought I had just built up a tolerance and it was not as effective. Last night it was the worst ever. My right foot and ankle was huge and HOT to the touch. It was so bad it woke me from sleeping. My wife woke up and suggested we go to the emergency. I decided to do an Internet search and see if other people who had gout had also built up a tolerance. I found this site, and I read that EXPIRED medicine was no good. Mine had expired 2 months ago. I had a new refilled prescription and took a new pill and within a few hours felt relief."

SamChieftan (taken for 10 years or more) March 4, 2016

"I've had gout for many, many years. I cut sugar completely out of my diet, and my gout has been mostly a thing of the past. The one thing I always forget is that my 1x per year gout attack that I didn't take the Indomethacin in time. Take it as SOON as you start to feel the pain. Most importantly, my medication seems to only last 6 months. Last night, I felt it coming on. I took my Indomethacin, and nothing. No relief. Took three more today, no relief. The prescription was from 01/29/2015. Today is 02/18/2016. So, in just over one year, my meds went bad. I just picked up a prescription 4 hours ago. Took one pill, and the gout is gone in 4 hrs . So, pay attention to the shelf life. I believe that it's short for this med."

Founding Gout Club Member (taken for 10 years or more) February 19, 2016

"I unfortunately been having Gout attacks every other week for the past 4 years, I'm on a daily dose of Allopurinol 25mg but when I can feel a Gout attack coming on I pop a Indomethacin 50mg and usually I take 2 pills every 2 hours than it's gone. 2 weeks later same routine. I thank my Doctor every month I see her for her script. "

Big Bad T January 30, 2016

"41yo male, mild gout for about ten years - I'm lucky! However, have had 4 acute attacks that make wearing shoes and walking very difficult and sleep almost impossible. This drug is incredible - in 10 hours today I've gone from 7/10 pain (where 10/10 was a dislocated and fractured shoulder that wasn't reset for four hours) to 1/10, and it will be mostly gone by the morning. I find that ibuprofen and colchicine barely dent the pain, and 20mg codeine might give me 4 hours of fractured sleep. The only reason that I let this bout last so long (four days) was that I was using the last of my previous script before I went to the doctor, but I found out it was 6 months over expiry, and had lost most of its effect."

Throbbing toe (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 14, 2016

"I'm 28 years of age, in great shape but unfortunately I inherited gout from my dad! He suffered with gout since the age of about 25...I woke up one day & felt the worse pain of my life! I had a throb & ache in my big toe. I'm a mom who birthed a child naturally and let me tell u.. Gout is 10"

Borabora101 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 15, 2015

"I'm a 47 year old male that is in very decent shape. i have had gout for about 20 years and most of the attacks usually last about a week. Recently, my gout attack has lasted about 4 weeks. I have been taking cochicine for years, but lately that has not relieved the inflammation or pain. Last week I went to my primary care physican and he gave me indomethacin. It has drastically reduced the swelling and pain. I still have a little pain after a week, but have a slight limp. I am not taking allopurinal. I'm hoping this helps. The attacks are extruciatingly painful where you don't want anything touching your foot. Hopping to go take a pee is a pain. i notice if i get in the shower it seems to help, but putting on shoes can be torture."

Hurtin' Toe (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

"It's works fast take it as directed it does not completely cure but gets you to the point where you can manage the pain I had a very severe gout attack could not walk two hous later I was limping two days later I'm walking and limping it should be over soon thank god for this little green pill"

big country6436 October 25, 2015

"First time ever having gout, 47-year-old male in decent shape, don't eat a lot of red meat and barely touch alcohol. Spent three weeks in increasingly excruciating pain. Made the mistake of having a glass of wine one night, which sent me into two 30-45 min pain cycles that my wife said looked like labor -- biting on towels, praying, asking her to tell me stories, anything to get my mind off the pain. Had been on Colchicine, which did nothing except give me stomach cramps and diarrhea. Couldn't take ibuprofen for fear of shredding my stomach even worse. Finally went to a different doc, who prescribed Indomethacin. Miracle drug. Started working within hours. Three days later, can wear shoes & walk almost without limping. Amazing!"

Gotter (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2015

"Have had several bouts of gout and the pain is terrible. I get it in the big and second toe with joint swelling, hot and red. Within 2 hrs of my first dose of indomethacin the pain was almost gone. One 50 mg tablet so far no side effects unlike other drugs I have been prescribed which are very hard on stomach and cause diarrhea. I will have to see what happens after a few more doses"

Richiee October 19, 2015

"What I do is when I feel an gout attack coming on I will take the indomethacin 2 pills and a third the next day. I use them only in an acute attack and a script last me years. The key is when you get an attack you drink lots of water. I mean so much water that you are getting up to go pee every 5 min what you are doing is flushing the toxin out your system, the acid has to go. What usually triggers an attack? Crayfish or beer pretty much guarantees I can be laid up when I eat that. I have gotten into an exercise routine 30 min a day treadmill I never miss and I always take my vitamins and gout maintenance Allopurinol. An attack can come on in a matter of minutes with very little warning. I will be up the next day if I get the med"

CDLTPX August 29, 2015

"My mates told me about the tablets ,,, and wow ,,, had a attack for 5 days in my knee I could not walk or get out off the chair , my mate gave me some , I know I should not take somebody's else's tablets , but when in pain you will do anything. The next day after taking indomethacin I could get out off the chair and walk. I still sore but after 3 days back to normal"

Barry99 August 12, 2015