User Reviews for Indomethacin

Also known as: Indocin, Indocin IV, Indocin SR, Tivorbex

Learn more about Indomethacin.

Indomethacin Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Gout, Acute.

Reviews for Indomethacin to treat Gout, Acute

"Have had several gout flare ups in the past but didn't know it. The pain was excruciating, as others have said couldn't even put a sheet over my right foot big toe. Hopping to the bathroom like a Kangaroo during the night. At times the pain was so bad I had to crawl to the bathroom. And at 3AM., it ain't funny. I determined that eating chicken livers/lots of protein and beer did me in. Went to my Doctor and he told me it was probably gout. He prescribed indomethacin 50 mg., three times a day with food in your stomach. Said he'd be on the Golf course and to let him know if I was still crawling to the bathroom. Well... it worked! The pain was significantly reduced in a matter hrs."

bigrin (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Having suffered gout a couple of times a year, indomethacin was my drug of choice, combined with omeprazole to protect the stomach. Although it did often make me drowsy and slightly upset my stomach, the pain relief was quick and inflammation would ease quickly. BUT... always continue to take the prescribed dose until the flare up has completely cleared. This time I didn't and it came back with a vengenance, to the point indo had no effect. Now on colchicine instead which, after 24 hours, has had no effect and does not relief pain so I am in agony (GP never thought of that!). Praying this new drug begins to work soon - two nights without sleep.. keep taking the indomethacin until everything has gone... Am starting anapurirnol ASAP"

Fred2017 July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a gout attack, first time about 4 months ago. Just had another yesterday. My right foot big toe, and the ball of my foot. The pain was so severe I couldn't barely walk. Excruciating horrible pain. After taking the first pill I had relief hours later, the pain subsided so drastically and fast I couldn't believe it. The pain in my foot was identical in both gout attacks. Good thing I didn't throw the medicine away. I just took my third dose and am almost back to normal. This medicine worked great for me. With similar, FAST results both time."

G. B. (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"first attack was 6 months ago. horrible pain, naturally on the weekend. On the 3rd day got 75 mg pills - felt 99% better next day !!! Twice since then gout started up but I started taking it again and it was CURED in under 12 hours!!!!"

I am 60, male uverweight. June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had it off and on since 22yrs old. I'm 57 now and its harder to get rid of now. Indocin does help me and I take it minimally. It actually lifts my mood as well as reducing the inflammation but can cause a buzzed type feeling. I can tell all gout suffers to steer clear of High Fructose Corn Syrup as much as possible! Avoid any soda pop as well."

Fredwithgout (taken for 10 years or more) May 3, 2017

"4 days and no change"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have had regular flareups over last 10 years or so, starting in left, big toe, then whole of left ankle and now left knee. At each flareup, Indomethcin has mostly worked effectively containing the pain, even capsules that are 5 years old. The only side-effect is drowsiness just after taking it, but the upside of that is that I'm certain of relief, because on the rare chance that there was no relief, there was also no drowsiness."

Ausves (taken for 10 years or more) February 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Wicked Apple was my poison( a fine ale!), after that in about 12 hours I began to hurt, and in 18 hours there was no relief in the pain. I took my Colcrys (0.6) as prescribed, starting at 11pm, 12, and again at 2 am (about 15 hours after I had my one and only Wicked Apple) 20 hours later, it is all I can do to walk into the Dr's office still in terrible pain. The Dr gave me an injection of METHYLPRENISOLONE ACETATE (40mg) and prescribed Indomethacin. By 22 hours I was feeling better, by 24 I was walking again, 26 hours I could stand in the shower. It could have been the combination of the three drugs I have in my system, but 36 hours later, there is no pain and I only had one pill! I still have swelling, but no pain! Thank You!!"

Chucklgit January 24, 2017

"No relief at all."

Janice S (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Third day and it doesn't even touch the pain at night. Never had gout ever before, broke tibia and ankle, had surgery with 3 plates and 18 screws in my leg Nov 18. Got my splint put on three weeks ago and the soft cotton padding couldn't touch my touch or it burned terribly. Ortho didn't catch it and three weeks later fed up with poppin meds and getting worse, I saw my regular dr. He instantly said, gout. Took blood test, proscribed me this stuff at 50mg three times a day. After the first two the first day, the following day it slowed nicely and I was able to go out for a few hours. I am in a wheel chair at this point with the legs still messed up. Got home and the pain was insane! That was yesterday. Today is tough, what do I do"

Jslaughter1974 December 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Indomethacin: Worked well, but sat on the toilet a lot. Colchicine: Worked well, and also sat on the toilet a lot. Colcrys: Worked the best with zero side effects."

jackb9 (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My gout experience spans 3 decades. Colchicine was most effective in my early years of attacks but eventually lost effectiveness for me. Allopurinal did not help. Concerned with implications of side effects of pharmaceuticals, I modified diet and utilized supportive supplements that proved effective except when I strayed from diet and imbibed in alcohol intake. This week, after sick weeks of diet, crutch support and bed-rest with on and off improvement and then again relapse, I sought allopathic consultation. Prescribed 50mg Indomethacin twice daily and experienced dramatic reduction in symptoms of pain and swelling by second dose and near complete remission after 3rd dose. Experiencing an alarming increase in BP, I discontinued."

HipFu (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Didn't touch the gout pain "

NurseNets October 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Two days ago, I got really painful gout attack into my left toe and upper part of my foot and my heal on the right foot was hurting. My left foot hurt so bad, it was driving me insane. I tried black cherries, celery, drank tons of organic apple cider vinegar with mother last time but nothing helped so I did go see a doctor and they prescribed indomethacin 50mg three times per day and methylprednisolone tablets (start with 6 first day, 5 next day down to 1). I decided to do what somebody else here suggested and it worked like a miracle. I took 2 Indomethacin tablets in the morning and 2 methylprednisolone and something amazing happened. The pain was almost gone and swelling subsided. Around 3pm I took the same dose and I was able to walk."

Smolen64 August 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug is a LIFECHANGER! I see that others have had some bad experiences, but for me...it takes me from excruciating...nearly unbearable pain, to near-total relief within hours. Yes, there's something very edgy about it...and if not taken carefully, with food...it can scramble your head for a while. But for extreme gout attacks in my toes...and some kind of terribly nasty shoulder inflammation and searing pain...it has been, by far, the most effective medicine I have EVER taken. And, I have some experience with painkillers. I take Heavy duty narcotics for ruptured discs in my back that barely take the edge off that pain...and do nothing for gout attacks. Indocin has taken me from not being able to walk...to running, in an afternoon"

TexasPat August 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine is a double edged sword. On my first attack I used it for a week, 50mg 3xdaily, with no results. After missing work, and getting absolutely fed up with the pain, I did something that I normally would never do, I changed the way I took this medicine. I started taking 2 50MG pills in the morning, then 2, 5-6 hours later, then, if needed, 2 at midnight. The first dose really helped, the second almost got rid of the attack entirely. I had to take 2 in the middle of the night on the first day, but by the next day my pain was almost gone and I could walk. Now, I did get rapid heart beat the first time I did this, so do at your own risk, but from what I have read 100mg is the max single dose, sometimes used for Rheumatoid Arthritis."

Jax77 August 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I an 61 years old, and never had an attack of gout until this past week. After 2 days, the pain was so bad I went to Dr and prescribed indomethacin. I take 3 50mg a day with food and pain has somewhat subsided. I still limp and can not put on my shoes. At least I can sleep. No bad side effects. I think I waited too long before taking this medication. I hope I never need it again but happy I now know about it."

T'BIRDS August 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"May 2016, white male 51 yrs old, first gout attack. I was lifting heavy about 2 weeks ago and I over did red meat, chicken, salmon, two protein shakes per day at 30 grams each, aspirin almost daily and a 5 hour energy drink, junk food in there for good measure. Drink instant coffee excessively daily Did not like to drink water so likely became hydrated as well. I feel I brought this on with my eating habits but blood test came back 6.5 uric acid which was within normal range. I in total pain and missed 2 weeks of work. Doctor put me on Indomethacin after weeks of Advil, water, cherries, cherry juice, no red meat or alcohol, etc with no relief. Felt relief first hour. Did get a little dizzy but pain is almost gone after 1st pill."

Too Much Protein (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 40 yr old healthy female that mysteriously had my first gout attack this week. I thought my toes were broken. I got into the doc right away and he rx'd indomethacin. Well I'm 4 days after the attack and getting around pretty good and started managing it with just aleve by the 3Rd day but I quit the indomethacin because the side effects were terrible. Bad headaches, really tired, dizzy. I thought it was the vicodin given to me for the pain but my side effects worsened even after I quit vicodin. Everyone is different and I would have taken anything on day 1 to try and help the pain but I quit taking this drug as soon as my foot cleared up. The drug is unbearable. Hopefully no new attacks for me and this is a freak thing."

Goutgirl2 May 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am going on week 6 of an attack. The colchicine, cherry juice, Diet, eating 25-30 cherries a day, drank so much water I am developing gills and swimming with the fishes and steroids and nothing has worked. The pain has been gone for 4 weeks now but not the inflammation. I am back on the steroids again but in place of colchicine I am on Indomethacin. I hate to use the word depressing and gout in the same sentence but it does get of get me down I can't wear my boots and do what I want to do. I hope this works........"

Bob Ramsey May 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I tried tart cherries and cherry juice which helped some till I could see my doctor who prescribed 75 mg of Indomethacin ER, to take twice a day. That helped with the pain and not being able to sleep at night from the pain. My doctor gave me a refill on the script."

LoriB28 May 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The Generic drug is not working so well this time. I took INDOCIN 4 years ago and the gout went away in less than 4 days. I've learned that not wearing properly fitted shoes with arch and foot support can cause bunions leading to gout. Yes, Uric Acid is the root to gout but not wearing proper shoes can make gout worse and flair up. Drink tons of water as this reduced the swelling by 80% alone in 2 days W/O MEDS! I'm on the fence b/c I wake up and it's gone down a lot. 5 hours or so later, it's swelling up again despite eating little sugar, drinking lots or water, and not putting too much pressure on the foot. Maybe the GENERIC or this version is NOT AS EFFECTIVE AS THE MAIN BRAND - INDOCIN. Does any one care to share their thoughts?"

THIS MED IS ON THE FENCE? April 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had gout attacks for the last 10 years (I'm 63) , my father & grandfather had it - Attacks can last a few days to a couple of weeks & generally get worse over that period. Seem to be diet related - overdose of shrimp, scallops, tuna, oily fish, asparagus within a short period Indomethacin certainly gets rid of the gout quickly but the side effects are pretty awful & I stopped using it incls sleepiness & confusion bordering on zombiedom, depression, paranoid thoughts, affects vision, dry mouth etc. There must be better medication!"

Teddy 2 April 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had gout flare attacks since I was 27, I am 39 now. The latest one started a week ago and I took Tylenol and ibuprofen alternately, the pain seemed to subside but suddenly got really bad a couple of days ago. I went to the ER and they gave me some steroids and a prescription for indomethacin and hydrocodone. The good news is that I'm able to sleep but the bad news is that the swelling remains the same, so don't know how long it's going to take to get better. I cut my sugar intake because that's said to be number one. Fingers crossed. Is it the hydrocodone or the indomethacin helping me sleep, I don't know. I have one more hydrocodone left, will see after that :)"

Raj39 April 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just had the worst gout attack I can remember. It started as ever in my toe and as my Diclofenac was long out of date I ordered more. After waiting the stipulated 48 hours my gout had flared on the opposite side of my foot as well. Walking, standing and sleeping were all distant memories. It was then I found out they don't give out Diclofenac any more and I tried Indometacin. I was on my feet the same night but I noticed the redness in my foot had changed from an even colour to more of a mottled rash. That was yesterday. Today my foot is puffy and inflated. Does that happen?"

HeehawBaws (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2016