User Reviews for Hylan g-f 20

Also known as: Synvisc, Synvisc-One

Learn more about Hylan g-f 20.

Hylan g-f 20 Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 231 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Hylan g-f 20 to treat Osteoarthritis

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "I had the triple shot 5 years ago to my left knee. My knee swelled up horribly and I could not do any of my workouts or dancing for 6 weeks. I was miserable and did not ever want to have it again. The upside is that after 6 weeks of pain it worked for 5 years. I just had the shot done to both knees and have not had any swelling and it has been 48 hours. My right knee is catching with any quick movements. Hope to have success after a few weeks. It did hurt really bad during the injection but I don't think that I received any local anesthetic this time. I think that may also contribute to the swelling when extra volume is added to the area. I also did not do any activities for 48 hours which is difficult for me."

Dogwoman July 10, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Had it done 26 hours ago and immediatly felt better, much more movement, almoest painfree. My only problem is that i'm so used to walk sparing my knee that I do not walk ""normally"" yet. There is alway the scariness of sudden hurt but I'm feeling more confident by the hours and was told it take around 6 week to be fully effective. My doctor is amazing and did not feel the needle or maybe like a moskito bite. I have not had any side effect besides comfort yet. but agin it's been 26 hours."

raymond060 June 30, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I got the Synvisc One shot on my left knee 6/7/2016. I was nervous after reading some of these stories. I felt a little pressure and felt fine. I elevated and iced it for two days. Day 3 I was doing the "Happy Dance." My knee feels great!"

Dymond June 22, 2016

"At 52yrs old, Had my knee reconstructed and medial meniscus removed on 5/29/15. Was having terrible pain in my patella. Got the shot on 3/14/16. After about 2 weeks my knee is pain free. Back to playing basketball, softball, weightlifting and running."

terminator63 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2016

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "I have this in my kneews. The only problem I have with it is its hard for me to walk for like 2 1/2 days"

Boo boo14 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I got this shot on march 17 2016,it was a preventative measure because my knee is bone on bone and I would get a cortizone shot every 6 months.24 hrs after the shot, my knee swelled up and the pain was incredible and I could'nt walk. 3 weeks later after having my knee drained and injected with medicine I had emergency surgery to flush out the synvisc. I've been out of work now for 6 weeks and with going to therapy am starting to walk a little better, I hope to return to work in 2 weeks.I had arthroscopic surgery 10 years ago on my other knee and the day after surgery I was much better than I am 6 weeks later after a preventive shot. be careful I think they are hiding all the bad reactions to synvisc"

republic (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2016

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "Had the three shots back in the 90's and still walking on my leg with no more surgeries."

Gerisue (taken for 10 years or more) April 27, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Had shot....shot was nothing...but 48 hrs. later I can barely stand the pain...elevating, ice, ibuprofen....but boy oh boy it hurts BAD. Gave birth to 3 children...one being breech....and swear this pain is worse.....I am hoping to be better soon....with this experience think I will not repeat this adventure. Do not think a knee replacement could be any worse than what I am going through right now!"

Grmaginner (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2016

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "I have had knee pain and swelling since age 12, it has gradually gotten worse over the years. Especially since I was diagnosed with Lupus, SLE & DLE. In the past year I have had excruciating pain. I went to the ortho and was diagnosed with Avascular Necrosis. I have since had surgery to remove some dead bone. The psin got better, then worse again so I got the shot of SYNVISC. It has really, really helped. I am just scared something will change amd I will be back on the sidelines of my own life. So much to deal with...."

Staceson March 17, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I received the shot about a year ago and my knees have been worse since! I'm 48 and can barely walk! I do not recommend it at all!"

Anonymous March 14, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Was treated on 3/5/2016. The injection of Synvisc-One was painless and I felt immediate relief in my knee. Now, just hours later, I notice a greater range of motion for my leg and almost no pain in the knee joint."

Col Jacobslen (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Took this shot one week ago ,the pain is worse I wish I wouldn't have done it.cant sleep knee is swollen.IM UP ALL NIGHT!"

Onto March 4, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Never again...... At first the injections worked great, but after round 4, I can't walk, I can't work. Next time I join the titanium club and replace the knees. Never again."

HerRedJetta (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 2, 2016

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "Had my first shot in my left knee almost 3 years ago! Was amazing and still no issues to this day. My second shot was in the right knee which lasted a little over a year and just had the third in that same knee. Almost PAIN free in both. Far better than surgery!!! Highly recommend before opting for surgery!!"

Schnickelgruber January 28, 2016

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "Before injections, had continuous pain in right knee; even during the night with little relief from aleve or motrin. Had some relief with physical therapy. After third injection, night pain was totally gone injections were two years ago. Now, only take Aspirin (arthritis back & body) when I am doing strenuous exercise or gardening. Can walk 6-8 miles a day with only slight discomfort. I have not needed more injections."

64 year old male January 22, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "This was without a doubt one of the most painful experiences I have encountered in my 65 years. I had it last January. The shot itself was not bad, but immediately after the shot, the pain around the knee was excruciating. I pretty much lived with pain twice as bad as before I had the shot for the next eight or ten weeks. Staying off of it, icing it and pain killers were the only help. Eventually the pain slowed down, but I would recommend that people look carefully and study the possible side effects before doing it. I had a partial knee replacement in July (six months ago) and the results are spectacular... I am walking, doing water aerobics and extremely active without any pain."

Quazinna December 25, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Well I have had a Synvisc injection in each knee once a week for the past 3 weeks. Unfortunately, the swelling and stiffness has been almost unbearable. I have a very high tolerance to pain but it has kept me up at night for the past week. I am now icing my knees for 20 minutes every 2 hours and staying off of my feet as much as possible. I have read that these side affects can last up to 3 weeks (I hope not). It is very difficult to get up off of the toilet and have had to use a cane the last 2 days. It has now been a month since my first injection and I noticed the symptoms worsened with each one! They have cost me $700 from Canada. Insurance would not pay for medication."

WW retiree November 21, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Going on 8 weeks after a synvisc one injection and the constant pain is now 10 times WORSE than before. my quality of life is horrible due to pain caused by shot. I have osteoarthritis in knee, nothing like the kind of pain I am in now. READ ALL THE REVIEWS BEFORE YOU GET THIS DONE"

chrissy7889 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2015

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "First two injections worked very well ,third injection seemed to stiffen my knee more .I did not get the desired results."

sunbell (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I stopped running marathons, something I really enjoyed. My arthritis has put a stop to any running. Now, I walk 5-6 miles every other day with a pair of weights around my ankles. My arthritis kept me up at night until I started my Synvisc-One injections. I get one in each knee every 6 months; they really make a difference."

Marathon Man Stan (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 6, 2015

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "I received one shot and was told I couldn't have another for 6 months. It's been 3 weeks with no relief from the pain. I am still limping significantly. Hoping it is just a matter of waiting longer for it to take effect."

Anonymous October 4, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I had the original Synvisc 3 in my left knee with no measurable improvement and ultimately had a complete knee replacement. My right knee is a complete success story. I have had four Synvisc One injections and I am scheduled for another next month. The pain relief was incredible, yes the shot itself is uncomfortable but not excruciating. I have had anywhere from five to six months of relief each time. I would recommend this procedure to anyone."

Lam821 September 29, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I had the Synvisc one injection in my left knee 4 weeks ago. The injection was painful and I had worse knee pain than before for 3 1/2 weeks. I have had little to no pain for 4 days now. I am hopeful to receive 5-6 months of pain free living. If so I will most likely have a repeat injection as my next option is knee replacement."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I had a synvisc one injection in both knees about a week ago. Initially, I was told to expect pain and swelling for the first 48 hrs. So, I took it easy and stayed off me feet. As the week went on, the pain and swelling progressed. Exactly 7 days later, I ended up in the ER with excruciating pain , swelling and stiffness. The doctors removed 110cc's of fluid from my left knee alone. I was later released and told to follow up with my physician .To date, I am still in continuos pain and have difficulty walking. I wish I had never done this."

Eblaq (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2015

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "Extreme pain and inflammation on the sight where injection was done. It happened in my first and now my second set of injections. The swelling last for about a week. I will not be getting my 3 rd set of synvisc injections. Too painful."

Anonymous September 11, 2015