User Reviews for Hylan g-f 20

Also known as: Synvisc, Synvisc-One

Learn more about Hylan g-f 20.

Hylan g-f 20 Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 228 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Hylan g-f 20 to treat Osteoarthritis

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "I dose injection yesterday. Severe pain last night and today. Nausea and chills"

Happyretired June 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I have had one problem since I was 10. Patella dislocations. I am 43 and had a partial knee replacement already. They knew that had not had any surgeries and recieved the SYNVISC shot. The worst pain ever. Someone had to hold my leg. I could barely stand and limped in horrible pain. My leg has a big bruise and knot where the shot was administered and the pain had been the same. Praying the pain subsides but I don't have months to wait for relief.I don't think I'll be getting another. The pain had me crying on the bus ride home and I have a high pain tolerance."

Busy Bronx Gamma (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "The cost was $2000 for a single injection and there was no improvement in my level of pain. I would like to know if this charge is normal for this product. Just because Medicare paid for it doesn't mean there shouldn't be value received."

Minnieddo (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I too, had a similar experience. My first injection given to lateral knee site with mild stiffness and pain. My second injection given to inner part of knee with severe stiffness and pain, this was Wednesday. I called the doctor to report my symptoms and he prescribed Toradol on Friday same week. I've been limping struggling to get around with minimal relief and the swelling and stiffness is still there. I also had a low grade fever. It's now Sunday and I will be calling my doctor on Monday. I wondered if it was because of the different location, but I don't know. I watched a video on the internet by a doctor explaining and performing the injection procedure. He said the injection needs to be given in a very precise area of knee laterally preferred."

Bern d May 15, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "1st injection= mild swelling then relief. Injection 2 = intense swelling and pain. Synovitis. Had to get a steroid shot. Injection 3= they felt maybe the 2nd injection was in the wrong place and wanted to try again I did. Worse swelling and pain. It is not a suck it up buttercup thing. I am an ironman and have had surgeries. This is abnormal and swelling to the degree of not being able to bend my knee to 90 degrees. Nor straighten. It is painful and tight. Bad reaction not good and not normal. Now I will be at the Doc Monday 72 hrs post injection b/c I am so swollen I can hardly function. He will draw fluid off and give me a steroid injection. This is awful anyway - too common."

Trifitgal (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 7, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "The first two nights, I could sleep on my side without pain, but the third night I could not and the third and fourth mornings I woke up with sharp pain in both knees making it difficult to walk. This is actually worse than before I had the injections. Am I expecting too much? When can I expect the pain to go away or at least not be present with every step I take?"

Jonnithan (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I need bi-lateral knee replacement but due to being only 50 we are trying to put it off if we can. Had both knees injected April 24/17. No numbing used and the injections were quite unpleasant. I'm on day 4 and feel minimal difference in the right knee and still have dreadful pain in the left. Unless something changes in the next couple of days I most likely will not do this again. Have opted to get the surgery."

L.Dub April 27, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Its been 3 weeks since my first Synvisc One injection in both knees, left knee unbearable pain since day of injection. Pain in places I didn't have before. Pain behind my knee and down my leg, can't sleep, walk or barely drive without pain. I am a professional dog walker and this was supposed to help not hurt. Will never get again! (I'm 42, severe bone on bone arthritis in both knees, have had 4 years of cortisone injections every few months, and take anti inflammatory prescription daily, have tried physical therapy 3 times) I guess I will just wait for knee replacements, and put my life on hold until then."

AmyJo Dog Walker (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "The pain went away for about 2 weeks and then the pain came back strong. I think the Synvisc one doesn't do what they say it does. There needs to be another form of injection without having to go to the doctor 5 weeks in a row that will last a true six months this Synvisc one shot was not worth the money that they charge the health insurance and myself"

Cooper992 April 3, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Cost me $700.00 and it did absolutely nothing. Waste of money. My Mom and cousin had the same results."

GZach April 2, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I was told I had osteoarthritis and surgery is not an option on my knee due to my age. I had the cortisone shot in August. It did nothing. Therefore, I had the Synvics-one in March. Oh my god, there ought to be law that ALL doctors should be frank with their patients, who are in severe pain and seek relief. Low and behold, I had the shot which was somewhat painful, but bearable. The first night I was in agony...could not sleep for the pain. It has been a week, and severe stiffness has set in. A friend recommend Blue emu for the pain, and Tylenol. The Blue Emu helps, but the pain (which is as worst as last week) is beginning to subside during the day. At night...just horrible, I awake ever two to three hours with pain! Never!!!"

ADINMEOELN2 March 8, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I received the Synvisc-One injection in early February in both knees. The injection was extremely painful for one knee. It's a month later, I'm still in pain especially at bedtime. Lots of pain/stiffness in my calves and behind my knees. Not sure if I would receive another injection. Can surgery be worse?"

JDM II March 7, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "I have had all three of these type of shots over approx 12-13 years now, first the synvic, had moderate relief for 9 months, Doctor no longer accepted my insurance. New Dr and used Hyalgan, great results, even getting 2 years at a time even playing softball. Now moved to Florida and trying the supartz once already, not real good results but trying it again, into my second shot, lets see"

Ptp346 March 6, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "This injection is only effective if you have mild arthritis. If you have almost no cartilage left it is useless. I wish I had known this before I tried this injection. I have moderate-severe arthritis and got a week or 2 of relief."

Tried it March 2, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Complete relief for 6 months now. I have taken the shot 4 times every 6 months.no side effects"

Maj735 February 9, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Not really sure. Had a cortisone shot first which did nothing. I then tried the synvisc one. I really didn't have much pain from the injection. I still have pain but it's not as bad as it was. It's been about a week and a half since I've gotten it. From what I've read it may take Month to get full relief. Will report back later."

Anonymous January 29, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Went from having pain so bad with Miniscus tear 2 days after Injection. Completely pain free for over 18 Months time to get it done again Product is Excellent"

Theanswer47601 January 25, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Having lost a quarter shape size of cartilage in my right knee, so bone on bone in that one and in the left knee advanced osteo which hurts more than the right, I know about pain. Synvisc is the best! I take 3 shots over 3 weeks ( 2ml per injection) and it lasts anywhere from 3-5 months. The lasting relief is that I don't get pain from walking or sudden nerve pains in the duration. everyone is different but I just get the shots done, no numbing..that's just silly cuz it's only a needle for God's sake. Yes, I sometimes get swelling after shots but reading some claims about "ruining my life" and "pain" is really foreign to me. I really like Synvisc, it greatly improves my quality of life. My advise is to "suck it up buttercup" get the shots."

Jason O (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 12, 2017

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "The first time I had a synvisc shot it worked really well with no side effects. The second time I had a shot in both knees and was in a pain, had cramping in my calves and was pretty miserable for about 2 weeks. Now I have popping in my knees as if the fluid got underneath the knee cap or around that area so every time I walk my knees pop and it drives me crazy. I never had this before I got my last shots, so now not only do I have osteoarthritis due to loss of cartilage I now have another complication with every step. I don't believe I will have another shot, and I wish there was some sort of compensation for this."

Cricketb53 January 5, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "A very pleasant experience, some strange sensations but they were expected. Got the injection December 21, 2016 @ my Ortho's office. Very happy. Used a recumbent bike today at the gym the first time in 6 months without my unloader brace."

McDonell (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I have had 2 injections over the past year. I am reading many reviews where there is pain when the injection is given! The doctor numbs the knee, but the injection is very painful. This pain lasts several hours and I do have swelling. Once the initial pain and swelling is over, I feel the Synvisc is working. I was having pain up and down the right leg radiating from the knee. That pain is gone and I am able to take my daily walks. I am 62 and led a very active and athletic life. Though I can't run the half-marathons anymore, my daily life is pretty normal with minimal knee pain."

RRN482 December 27, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I'd gotten the synvisc 1 shot injection annually the past 2 years. I went in on 10/16 to get a preventative shot and since my insurance deductibles had been met for the year, I wanted to get it before end of year. My knee began swelling up as soon as I got home, with lots of pain. I went in a day later and have him drain it, then a couple days later and had him drain it again. I never got any infection however, the Dr stated that around 5% of the patients will have a bad reaction.. It's now Dec'16 and I still have pain (no swelling, just burning/pain on inside of the knee). Some days worse than others.. some days I can walk without much pain, other days, hurts like hell to walk on it. Also hurts while sleeping.. some night worse than others. NO MORE"

rcz58z (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Not sure why all of these negative experiences. 59 years old with osteoarthritis in both knees, bone on bone inside left. Arthroscopic surgery two years ago to clean left helped with swelling and some pain. Taking shots every six months in both knees for two years. Definitely works......... received my black belt in martial arts earlier this year and never would've accomplished that without the shots."

JRPJR** (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 15, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Originally I had SynviscOne injection 4/2016, & although it took about 6+ wks for my knees to feel full benefit, I was pain free about 4-5 months. It was great!! (Not everyone experiences the same benefit for the same amount of time, I was told.) I started getting knee pain pretty badly again late Aug & by mid-Sept. I couldn't take the pain so I got steroid injections in both knees. My insur only allows 2 SynviscOne injections/yr. By the end of Oct. the steroid injections had worn off so I got another SynviscOne injection each knee. It's now 6+ weeks later (Dec. 10) & haven't had much relief to speak of. I'm hopeful in next 10 days or so I'll feel more relief, but honestly it's the best med I've had for my knees."

tucsongirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Acute pain and swelling 6 hrs after the injection , unable to walk, difficult to sleep. Can't bend my knee and in absolute agony. Day 5 and my entire life is on hold as it very difficult to move, wish I would never have had the shot- dangerous!!"

Anonymous December 4, 2016