User Reviews for Hylan g-f 20

Also known as: Synvisc, Synvisc-One

Learn more about Hylan g-f 20.

Hylan g-f 20 Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 231 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Hylan g-f 20 to treat Osteoarthritis

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I had the Synvisc-One shot in early May, hoping to be able to dance at my Granddaughter's wedding. I had been walking 2 miles a day, five times a week before I had the shot. Within 72 hours, I was in horrific pain. I sent my husband out to get a walker. 3 weeks later, I wore a knee brace to the wedding, with a tens unit beneath it to mask the pain. When I called the doctor, he prescribed pain medication. I didn't get it filled. I will not get hooked on pain meds. I have a friend I taught with get hooked on pain meds, and it wasn't pretty. Anyway, it is now the end of August, and I still have pain in my knees just sitting in a chair or lying in bed. Wished I had read these reviews BEFORE having the shot!!!!!!!"

Granjan7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2016

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "Had the series of injections years ago. Didn't help at all. Ended up with knee replacement. Now other knee is going and WITH insurance, injection of SynviscOne costs over $130 (co-pay) + $30 co-pay for visit. I'm not having it done unless I get a guarantee that it will work. RIP-OFF for the cost and a RIP-OFF that insurance doesn't provide better coverage."

Jakoe (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "After having a few cortisone shots and not much luck or longevity with them, my Dr asked me try the Synvisk 1and I was reluctant at first but when you have 100% bone on bone in one knee and 75% bone on bone in the other I was willing to try anything. I had to wait also to be approved by Wellness Blue Cross Blue Shield. It was finally approved and i had the shots in late July. I'm 49 yrs old and a bigger heavier man and I made my 15 yr old son come in to watch. It hurt like heck. My son was shocked to see me wincing in pain the entire time. It takes a little while to get it all in your knee as well. Then to my other knee I gripped the table and said my god nobody said they were this painful. Swelled up so bad for a week. Never helped me."

big johnson August 25, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I have had the injections of synvice 3 times so far the first time I got the injection it worked pretty good after about 3 weeks it made me pain free for about two to three months the second and third time I had the injections I did not feel a thing even after 3 weeks I'm going back to cortisone next time."

Mikey d 130 August 21, 2016

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "Initially had Synvisc-One injected into my knee, with only slight benefit (scale of 1-10, improvement to a 4 at best). Several months later had knees treated with the 3 injection Synvisc and it was a Godsend, on a 10 point scale the improvement has been as high as a 9! 3 months have passed and some minor pain has returned, but still maintaining a 7 on a 10 point scale."

Miracle Relief August 19, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Omg!!.. im 25 yrs old and 2 months post knee surgery. I continued to have pain due to arthritis in my knee my Dr gave me the synvisc-1 shot and im now 3 days post my shot(8-9-16) i feel sooo much better and can walk sooo much better. I was nervous after reading reviews but i have one of the best Drs in the nation here in LA so i trusted him.. Everyone's body is different and will receive medications differently so i try not to go off of reviews. I cant wait until a few more weeks from now to see how much better i am."

Dray24 August 12, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "After years of knee problems and taking cortisone I was recommended by a knee specialist to try Synvisc One injections. After approximately $635 and an extremely painful injection (much more painful than cortisone) I had absolutely no relief whatsoever just a waste of time and money. Now I am back on cortisone injections until they can come up with another alternative :("

Stick 1 August 11, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I had a SynVisc1 shot 10 days ago. Was so looking forward to it as the cortisone shot I had gotten before it lasted a short 2 months. I had tried earlier to have the shot but Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield would not approve it til I tried other options. So then the cortisone was done. Then they approved it. It was a pain thru Wellmark. And a bigger pain when the SynVisc1 was done. Excruciating pain! Thought I was gonna pass out! Barely made it to my car. I am in much pain. Can't bend my knee. Shooting pain from tip of toe to butt. I am waiting impatiently. Some people say they got theirs done with an ultrasound guidance. I did not. I question if he hit the spot. He is one of the top orthopeds in Cedar Rapids. Said may take 30 DAYS!"

wife of a farmer. (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2016

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "I had the triple shot 5 years ago to my left knee. My knee swelled up horribly and I could not do any of my workouts or dancing for 6 weeks. I was miserable and did not ever want to have it again. The upside is that after 6 weeks of pain it worked for 5 years. I just had the shot done to both knees and have not had any swelling and it has been 48 hours. My right knee is catching with any quick movements. Hope to have success after a few weeks. It did hurt really bad during the injection but I don't think that I received any local anesthetic this time. I think that may also contribute to the swelling when extra volume is added to the area. I also did not do any activities for 48 hours which is difficult for me."

Dogwoman July 10, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Had it done 26 hours ago and immediatly felt better, much more movement, almoest painfree. My only problem is that i'm so used to walk sparing my knee that I do not walk ""normally"" yet. There is alway the scariness of sudden hurt but I'm feeling more confident by the hours and was told it take around 6 week to be fully effective. My doctor is amazing and did not feel the needle or maybe like a moskito bite. I have not had any side effect besides comfort yet. but agin it's been 26 hours."

raymond060 June 30, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I got the Synvisc One shot on my left knee 6/7/2016. I was nervous after reading some of these stories. I felt a little pressure and felt fine. I elevated and iced it for two days. Day 3 I was doing the "Happy Dance." My knee feels great!"

Dymond June 22, 2016

"At 52yrs old, Had my knee reconstructed and medial meniscus removed on 5/29/15. Was having terrible pain in my patella. Got the shot on 3/14/16. After about 2 weeks my knee is pain free. Back to playing basketball, softball, weightlifting and running."

terminator63 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2016

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "I have this in my kneews. The only problem I have with it is its hard for me to walk for like 2 1/2 days"

Boo boo14 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I got this shot on march 17 2016,it was a preventative measure because my knee is bone on bone and I would get a cortizone shot every 6 months.24 hrs after the shot, my knee swelled up and the pain was incredible and I could'nt walk. 3 weeks later after having my knee drained and injected with medicine I had emergency surgery to flush out the synvisc. I've been out of work now for 6 weeks and with going to therapy am starting to walk a little better, I hope to return to work in 2 weeks.I had arthroscopic surgery 10 years ago on my other knee and the day after surgery I was much better than I am 6 weeks later after a preventive shot. be careful I think they are hiding all the bad reactions to synvisc"

republic (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2016

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "Had the three shots back in the 90's and still walking on my leg with no more surgeries."

Gerisue (taken for 10 years or more) April 27, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Had shot....shot was nothing...but 48 hrs. later I can barely stand the pain...elevating, ice, ibuprofen....but boy oh boy it hurts BAD. Gave birth to 3 children...one being breech....and swear this pain is worse.....I am hoping to be better soon....with this experience think I will not repeat this adventure. Do not think a knee replacement could be any worse than what I am going through right now!"

Grmaginner (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2016

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "I have had knee pain and swelling since age 12, it has gradually gotten worse over the years. Especially since I was diagnosed with Lupus, SLE & DLE. In the past year I have had excruciating pain. I went to the ortho and was diagnosed with Avascular Necrosis. I have since had surgery to remove some dead bone. The psin got better, then worse again so I got the shot of SYNVISC. It has really, really helped. I am just scared something will change amd I will be back on the sidelines of my own life. So much to deal with...."

Staceson March 17, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "I received the shot about a year ago and my knees have been worse since! I'm 48 and can barely walk! I do not recommend it at all!"

Anonymous March 14, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Was treated on 3/5/2016. The injection of Synvisc-One was painless and I felt immediate relief in my knee. Now, just hours later, I notice a greater range of motion for my leg and almost no pain in the knee joint."

Col Jacobslen (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Took this shot one week ago ,the pain is worse I wish I wouldn't have done it.cant sleep knee is swollen.IM UP ALL NIGHT!"

Onto March 4, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Never again...... At first the injections worked great, but after round 4, I can't walk, I can't work. Next time I join the titanium club and replace the knees. Never again."

HerRedJetta (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 2, 2016

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "Had my first shot in my left knee almost 3 years ago! Was amazing and still no issues to this day. My second shot was in the right knee which lasted a little over a year and just had the third in that same knee. Almost PAIN free in both. Far better than surgery!!! Highly recommend before opting for surgery!!"

Schnickelgruber January 28, 2016

Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): "Before injections, had continuous pain in right knee; even during the night with little relief from aleve or motrin. Had some relief with physical therapy. After third injection, night pain was totally gone injections were two years ago. Now, only take Aspirin (arthritis back & body) when I am doing strenuous exercise or gardening. Can walk 6-8 miles a day with only slight discomfort. I have not needed more injections."

64 year old male January 22, 2016

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "This was without a doubt one of the most painful experiences I have encountered in my 65 years. I had it last January. The shot itself was not bad, but immediately after the shot, the pain around the knee was excruciating. I pretty much lived with pain twice as bad as before I had the shot for the next eight or ten weeks. Staying off of it, icing it and pain killers were the only help. Eventually the pain slowed down, but I would recommend that people look carefully and study the possible side effects before doing it. I had a partial knee replacement in July (six months ago) and the results are spectacular... I am walking, doing water aerobics and extremely active without any pain."

Quazinna December 25, 2015

Synvisc-One (hylan g-f 20): "Well I have had a Synvisc injection in each knee once a week for the past 3 weeks. Unfortunately, the swelling and stiffness has been almost unbearable. I have a very high tolerance to pain but it has kept me up at night for the past week. I am now icing my knees for 20 minutes every 2 hours and staying off of my feet as much as possible. I have read that these side affects can last up to 3 weeks (I hope not). It is very difficult to get up off of the toilet and have had to use a cane the last 2 days. It has now been a month since my first injection and I noticed the symptoms worsened with each one! They have cost me $700 from Canada. Insurance would not pay for medication."

WW retiree November 21, 2015