User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene to treat Edema

Also known as: Dyazide, Maxzide, Maxzide-25

Hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 14 ratings for the treatment of Edema. 57% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 29% reported a negative effect.

Hydrochlorothiazide/triamterene Rating Summary

6.5/10 average rating

Compare all 43 medications used in the treatment of Edema.

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene

Kat7 June 4, 2015

“I am on Day 3 of this medicine. I dropped 6.2 lbs. of water. I got leg cramps the first night and realized I did not drink enough water and that I needed low sodium V8 to increase my potassium levels so I don't cramp. My blood pressure is back to normal and it is great to see my ankles and legs stop swelling. On Day 2 and 3 no problems. Drink plenty of water and drink V8 or eat a banana to up your potassium.”

Facial/Body water retension · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2014

Maxzide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene): “I used to take just hydrochlorothiazide alone, and Maxzide is night and day difference... I take it for first time, and 2 hours later, I lost possibly 5 - 6 pounds of water... I can see my abs again. WOW! I suffer from fluid retension from uncontrolled Hashimoto's.”

Pamepie · Taken for 10 years or more July 24, 2014

Dyazide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene): “I break a 50 mg tablet in half and take the half every other day. It really works and I find I need to increase my liquid intake particularly on the days I take the 1/2 tablet otherwise I tend to have some muscular cramping. This is especially true in leg muscles.”

ElisabethC · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 22, 2016

“I have been on this medication for a few months now, for the second time. Both times I have developed severe headaches, dizziness, confusion, and nauseous. It takes off some water weight but I'm still fairly swollen and this time my blood pressure has increased. Just learned that it can affect blood sugar levels. I don't think I will be taking this medication again.”

Vertigo Girl · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 9, 2019

“I’ve been taking this hydrochlorothiazide with triamterene for years as a diuretic with no issues until last month. The manufacturer changed and at my pharmacy and I do not believe it works the same. My Meniere’s symptoms haven’t been this bad since I started taking the different brand. I hoping another pharmacy has the prior manufacturers medicine because it worked well.”

Valeriepl May 3, 2015

“This drug almost killed me. I lost nearly 15 lbs. in 3 days. No, I wasn't exercising and yes most people would celebrate, but I was severely dehydrated and had a head ache that WOULD NOT GO AWAY. If you are diabetic, tell your doctor to give you another prescription.”

njmonica December 3, 2009

“The swelling in my feet and ankles decreased over the course of five days but it interacted with my anti-depressant medication and rendered it useless. I couldn't even force myself to get out of bed. I lost all interest in activities that I had enjoyed. Had to stop taking it.”

Gina Bo-Bina · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2016

“I was prescribed this pill for edema. I took it sporadically, maybe once a week. Then increased to twice a week. I noticed I began having panic attack symptoms. They would come out of nowhere. Inability to breathe normally, gasping for air. I kept thinking they were random panic attacks of which I'd never had in the past. Last night I took a pill at 8 p.m. within an hour, i woke myself up from dozing off in my recliner. I couldn't breathe again. This time it was accompanied with almost a wheezing feeling in my chest. I couldn't walk without gasping for air. I took 2 Benadryl waited 20 min, took another & all the symptoms vanished. I feel like my A- blood type has made me super sensitive to meds. Ugh.”

waternam April 8, 2012

“I have high blood pressure and edema. The hydrochlorothiazide definitely made me lose water weight- about 6-7 pounds but it really seemed to cut sexual desire and often made me nauseous and gave me diarrhea. I had to stop taking it because of the nausea. The night after the first day I'd stopped taking it, my sexual desire returned but when I got up to urinate, I noticed the veins on my penis were abnormally enlarged. The veins went back to normal after that night. I think I had a reverse reaction when my body tried to adjust to the medicine being out of my system. Probably the water had no escape mechanism without the medication.”

ltlbird December 21, 2015

“I was taking Maxzide for several years and had to stop, temporarily, for other health issues. Within days, my face was so puffy, had gained 8 pounds and then my ankes and feet became very swollen and achey. I sure hope the doctor will let me start taking it again and figure out a different resolution for the other issue!”

Rayrey60 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 20, 2017

“I've been on this medications for 1 year with no problems for a month my legs have been swollen. I've been on Zoloft 25g. No reaction, called PCP told to go to Urgent Care , went to Urgent Care was told to see PCP. I have an appointment In 3 weeks to see a kidney dr. Due to to Acute Kidney Injury. I am in severe pain , my legs are swollen from the thighs down. Hoping for relief soon.”

clare n. · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 3, 2013

Maxzide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene): “Used this to treat water retention and worked great. Passed a lot of urine quickly.”

S'NIABLU August 7, 2008

“I've been taking maxzide-25 for over a year and it definitely keeps the fluid from hanging around the ankles. I initally had a mild nagging headache the first 3 days, after that no problems.”

elaine187 September 21, 2016

“Been on this for more than 10 years. It works wonders for my edema.”

Ladydymunds November 8, 2017

“I found this drug very effective for the water that was collecting on my leg when I was suffering from cellulits. I had no side effects.”

Learn more about Edema