User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide/triamterene

Edema 6.5
High Blood Pressure 5.9

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide/triamterene

Emerald_86 · Taken for less than 1 month February 29, 2020

Dyazide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene) for High Blood Pressure: “I am a 47-year-old female who was recently diagnosed with high BP. My NP started me out on Losartan and I experienced terrible side effects. My mom suggested I take what she's taken for 23 years--Dyazide. I got that from Dr and have been taking Dyazide for 3 weeks and it is great! It has lowered my BP from around 140/90 to 115/65. Also NO side effects. It is a small, light green, oblong pill.”

Leo January 18, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been taking this medicine triamterine hydrochlorothiazide 37.5 together with benicar 40 mg and amlodipine 10mg daily. My high blood pressure was bad some 5 years ago and now recently it has improved and normal range since 6 months. But my kidneys are abnormal so my specialist has stopped me with triamterine and replaced with metoprolol low dose. To see it it will improve my kidney . Will let you know if it improves. L.P”

BP Void November 13, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “My doctor prescribed the hydrochlorothiazide with triamterene medicine combo years ago. I ended up having bladder problems as a result.”

Dwol · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2019

“I lost all hearing in one ear and most of my vestibular in the same ear. Doctors prescribed dyazide for probable menieres disease. I have been on it for 2 months and I am on one bad of a roller coaster ride with it. If I take a full pill, it absolutely kills me- cramps, gout, fog head, irritable, no energy (even walking is difficult). I have been adjusting the meds as I can, but it is very difficult to dial in. At one point 1/2 pill every day was working- but still massive side effects. I am currently experimenting with 1/4 pill every day or every other day. It is very difficult, and there appears to be a rebound effect when adjusting down the medicine.”

JC · Taken for less than 1 month September 17, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Been on this for about 2 weeks and it's done a good job of lowering my BP by about 10 points which I'm very happy with. I have noticed a little bit of cramping and after reading the rest of the reviews I'm off to buy some Gatorade right now. Will update if things go south for me. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences!”

Vb · Taken for 10 years or more August 17, 2019

Maxzide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene) for High Blood Pressure: “This drug was is very effective when treating blood pressure, however there were episodes of bleeding after drinking beverages that contained caffiene or if I didn't drink enough water.”

Vertigo Girl · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 9, 2019

For Edema: “I’ve been taking this hydrochlorothiazide with triamterene for years as a diuretic with no issues until last month. The manufacturer changed and at my pharmacy and I do not believe it works the same. My Meniere’s symptoms haven’t been this bad since I started taking the different brand. I hoping another pharmacy has the prior manufacturers medicine because it worked well.”

Browniee78 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 13, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “So I have been on and off Hydrochlorothiazide for about 3 years I recently started taking them again on the 25th of October I was 249 pds now I'm 241 so I lost 9 pounds of lingering water weight in 20 days I find it very helpful.”

Joe · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2018

Dyazide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene) for High Blood Pressure: “Stopped after two days on med. Very bad shortness of breath, nausea and feeling lightheaded. I now have a cough. I am in my 2nd day of not taking the drug and hope I start feeling better. Very bad!!”

SUSAN June 5, 2018

Maxzide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene) for High Blood Pressure: “I've been on Maxide for a couple of years and love the progress I'm making. I could tell as soon as I started this I was on the right track. Thanks Doc”

Lovely · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been taking this medication for about a week for high blood pressure. My side effects are frequent urination for the first few days. Afterwards severe side, abdominal and back pain, cold sweats, constipation and weakness and nausea. I stopped medication and emailed my doctor.”

Yougotmeonthisone November 30, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: “I've been taking hydrochlorothiazide along with another blood pressure medication. I just recently started the hydrochlorothiazide back about 2 months ago this medication make me gasps for air at night. And also cause my neck near my jaw to hurt along with palpitations in my heart. Don't know what to do anymore.”

Delifisch · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been on atenolol for years for fast heart rate. But as I've gotten older, my blood pressure as increases. My doctor added triamterene along side of the atenolol. The first day, I didn't feel well, but assumed I would feel a little different with new meds. I made sure I drank lots of water. Days 2-4 days were horrible. Extremely weak, heart palpitations, chest pain, and overall bad feelings. Went back to only the atenolol. Today is 2 days after stopping and I feel better as far as the weakness, but my pressure is back up. Waiting for the doctor to give me something else to try.”

Ladydymunds November 8, 2017

For Edema: “I found this drug very effective for the water that was collecting on my leg when I was suffering from cellulits. I had no side effects.”

Rayrey60 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 20, 2017

For Edema: “I've been on this medications for 1 year with no problems for a month my legs have been swollen. I've been on Zoloft 25g. No reaction, called PCP told to go to Urgent Care , went to Urgent Care was told to see PCP. I have an appointment In 3 weeks to see a kidney dr. Due to to Acute Kidney Injury. I am in severe pain , my legs are swollen from the thighs down. Hoping for relief soon.”

Sapphire Muse · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been in it for 3 days and I am noticing the bloating that some have mentioned. However, since my bp was 200/154 when I was taken to the hospital and it's now 143/112 I'll take the bloating if I must to still be here with my kids. (I'm only 35yrs old, but under major stress, which is what my Dr. believes caused such dangerous bp levels.)”

I work for yeah January 28, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: “This medicine nearly killed me, and I'm a healthy 33 year old woman who was on it for 4 days. I was prescribed 50mg of hydochlorothiazide to take instead of 50 mg atenolol which had been giving me side effects. By day 4, I was incredibly weak, mentally foggy/confused, and had severe body aches. Also started experiencing chest pains, so I went to the ER, and my EKG showed an abnormal arrhythmia. Turns out my potassium had dropped to below 2.5, which can be life threatening. I was given 2 IV bags of potassium, 2 more bags of fluids, and kept overnight. I was fine in the morning (normal EKG and electrolytes) but was told one more day on that med could have been fatal. Be careful on this drug.”

Gina Bo-Bina · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2016

For Edema: “I was prescribed this pill for edema. I took it sporadically, maybe once a week. Then increased to twice a week. I noticed I began having panic attack symptoms. They would come out of nowhere. Inability to breathe normally, gasping for air. I kept thinking they were random panic attacks of which I'd never had in the past. Last night I took a pill at 8 p.m. within an hour, i woke myself up from dozing off in my recliner. I couldn't breathe again. This time it was accompanied with almost a wheezing feeling in my chest. I couldn't walk without gasping for air. I took 2 Benadryl waited 20 min, took another & all the symptoms vanished. I feel like my A- blood type has made me super sensitive to meds. Ugh.”

elaine187 September 21, 2016

For Edema: “Been on this for more than 10 years. It works wonders for my edema.”

maxiybby1 May 26, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: “I was put on Triamterene HTCZ 37.5-25 mg. as a replacement for Lisinopril (coughing and throat closing up after 2 yrs. on med) I was put onTriamterene in January , blood pressure was good but felt nervouse at times, mood swings, constipated. March had blood work , my uric acid level was 10.1 High, my Bun was 10.1 High, had blood in my urine and fowel smelling urine. Was not feeling well. My blood work also stated " Moderately Reduced Kidney Function" This med is poison to the kidneys! March stopped Triamterene was put on Verapamil ER 120MG. Seems to be working o.k..i am very relaxed on this med which helps my pb as I am a nervouse anxiouse person which brings up my BP. New Lab reports are now good.”

Anonymous March 1, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: “On Day 15, of taking 1 tablet of Triamterene HCTZ 37.5 -25mg daily, here are my notes... Gradual reaction to Triamterene-HCTZ... Day 1: February 24 evening: Bad body cramps and aches that gradually started in the legs and then persisted through the entire body ended up laying down is staying in the bed the rest of the evening; very bad headaches; no fever temperature 99.0 Day 2: February 25 early evening: Felt better this day but very sore from the night before took medication then noticed an hour after taking medication and muscle aches aches came back this night it was even worse trembling with muscle aches most of the night severe headache and unable to pass bowels; cried in pain; very thirsty and dry mouth. Temperature 99.0; Day 3: February 26 did not take; started feeling better after about 12 to 14 hours into the next day body seems very weak and very itchy ; called doctors office to find out if it was OK to stop taking this medication because of reactions; did not receive a phone call back. Day 4: February 27: called the after hours number at cardiologist office around 7:30 pm Dr. Park returned call told me that the medicine probably wasn't the issue and that it sound like maybe I had some other issues going on so see my primary care physician; did not appreciate his tone and lack of concern, therefore took half of the medication and became ill very quickly this time. This time, it started with severe dizziness and lightheadedness, severe muscle cramps and aches, at times unable to walk or control my lambs; muscle cramps persisted ability to control arms and limbs came and went; new onset of stomach pain then finally vomiting while on toilet trying to pass bowels; drank grapefruit juice thinking it would counteract the med; muscle aches and cramps headache and stomach pain lasted through the night; pains lasted all night until I fell asleep; pains were subsiding; Day 5: February 28: no meds today body feels extremely sore yellowish skin and eyes leg cramps come and go and painful but not as bad as the night before; no appetite ate very little Day 6: February 29: no meds today feel a lot better although still feel very weak soreness in my right arm near the elbow lightheadedness twice during the day within three hours of each onset eating an apple seemed to help”

ElisabethC · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 22, 2016

For Edema: “I have been on this medication for a few months now, for the second time. Both times I have developed severe headaches, dizziness, confusion, and nauseous. It takes off some water weight but I'm still fairly swollen and this time my blood pressure has increased. Just learned that it can affect blood sugar levels. I don't think I will be taking this medication again.”

failing slowly in aberdeen January 7, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: “Drink a lot of water I've been on triamterene/hctz for ten plus years and wasn't really explained in detail how serious it would be if I didn't keep hydrated , at one point they increased my milligrams and not my potassium amount and now my kidneys are affected , I'm very dehydrated , I have leg cramps that are painful and I feel like this is it for me.”

ltlbird December 21, 2015

For Edema: “I was taking Maxzide for several years and had to stop, temporarily, for other health issues. Within days, my face was so puffy, had gained 8 pounds and then my ankes and feet became very swollen and achey. I sure hope the doctor will let me start taking it again and figure out a different resolution for the other issue!”

Daryl28 December 14, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: “So far so good, been taking it three days now.....been thirsty than usual, drinking lots of water, I've started exercising regularly daily. Some slight headaches, stomach cramp my second day on it. Some effect on sex moods, but not that bad. More energy for me, no drowsiness, some dizziness but not so much where its noticed. B/p good, feel laid back and calm.”