User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene

Also known as: Dyazide, Maxzide, Maxzide-25

Learn more about Hydrochlorothiazide/triamterene.

Edema 10 reviews 51 medications

6.8
High Blood Pressure 26 reviews 263 medications

6.2
Summary of Hydrochlorothiazide/triamterene reviews 36 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide/triamterene

For High Blood Pressure: "I was put on Triamterene HTCZ 37.5-25 mg. as a replacement for Lisinopril (coughing and throat closing up after 2 yrs. on med) I was put onTriamterene in January , blood pressure was good but felt nervouse at times, mood swings, constipated. March had blood work , my uric acid level was 10.1 High, my Bun was 10.1 High, had blood in my urine and fowel smelling urine. Was not feeling well. My blood work also stated " Moderately Reduced Kidney Function" This med is poison to the kidneys! March stopped Triamterene was put on Verapamil ER 120MG. Seems to be working o.k..i am very relaxed on this med which helps my pb as I am a nervouse anxiouse person which brings up my BP. New Lab reports are now good."

maxiybby1 May 26, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "On Day 15, of taking 1 tablet of Triamterene HCTZ 37.5 -25mg daily, here are my notes... Gradual reaction to Triamterene-HCTZ... Day 1: February 24 evening: Bad body cramps and aches that gradually started in the legs and then persisted through the entire body ended up laying down is staying in the bed the rest of the evening; very bad headaches; no fever temperature 99.0 Day 2: February 25 early evening: Felt better this day but very sore from the night before took medication then noticed an hour after taking medication and muscle aches aches came back this night it was even worse trembling with muscle aches most of the night severe headache and unable to pass bowels; cried in pain; very thirsty and dry mouth. Temperature 99.0; Day 3: February 26 did not take; started feeling better after about 12 to 14 hours into the next day body seems very weak and very itchy ; called doctors office to find out if it was OK to stop taking this medication because of reactions; did not receive a phone call back. Day 4: February 27: called the after hours number at cardiologist office around 7:30 pm Dr. Park returned call told me that the medicine probably wasn't the issue and that it sound like maybe I had some other issues going on so see my primary care physician; did not appreciate his tone and lack of concern, therefore took half of the medication and became ill very quickly this time. This time, it started with severe dizziness and lightheadedness, severe muscle cramps and aches, at times unable to walk or control my lambs; muscle cramps persisted ability to control arms and limbs came and went; new onset of stomach pain then finally vomiting while on toilet trying to pass bowels; drank grapefruit juice thinking it would counteract the med; muscle aches and cramps headache and stomach pain lasted through the night; pains lasted all night until I fell asleep; pains were subsiding; Day 5: February 28: no meds today body feels extremely sore yellowish skin and eyes leg cramps come and go and painful but not as bad as the night before; no appetite ate very little Day 6: February 29: no meds today feel a lot better although still feel very weak soreness in my right arm near the elbow lightheadedness twice during the day within three hours of each onset eating an apple seemed to help"

Anonymous March 1, 2016

For Edema: "I have been on this medication for a few months now, for the second time. Both times I have developed severe headaches, dizziness, confusion, and nauseous. It takes off some water weight but I'm still fairly swollen and this time my blood pressure has increased. Just learned that it can affect blood sugar levels. I don't think I will be taking this medication again."

ElisabethC (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 22, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Drink a lot of water I've been on triamterene/hctz for ten plus years and wasn't really explained in detail how serious it would be if I didn't keep hydrated , at one point they increased my milligrams and not my potassium amount and now my kidneys are affected , I'm very dehydrated , I have leg cramps that are painful and I feel like this is it for me."

failing slowly in aberdeen January 7, 2016

For Edema: "I was taking Maxzide for several years and had to stop, temporarily, for other health issues. Within days, my face was so puffy, had gained 8 pounds and then my ankes and feet became very swollen and achey. I sure hope the doctor will let me start taking it again and figure out a different resolution for the other issue!"

ltlbird December 21, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "So far so good, been taking it three days now.....been thirsty than usual, drinking lots of water, I've started exercising regularly daily. Some slight headaches, stomach cramp my second day on it. Some effect on sex moods, but not that bad. More energy for me, no drowsiness, some dizziness but not so much where its noticed. B/p good, feel laid back and calm."

Daryl28 December 14, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I was prescribed this back in March of this year for high BP. My doc told me to take 1/2 of the pill. I kept taking myself on and off it until finally my bp started doing waves from 107/86-135/96 making me sick. So then my doc said start taking the full pill. I guess it works ok keeping my bp at a reasonable level. I just haven't really given it a chance because, I'm afraid it will raise my blood sugar. I'm not a diabetic but, my mom and sister have it. I just don't want this drug triggering that in me, if I have the diabetic gene. Has anyone here had that side effect? It raising your blood sugar levels?"

Worrysome December 11, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been this medicine for 8 yrs and now I'm experiencing severe debilitating joint pain. It feels like gout. I am also wheezing now. I'm ready to get off of it and try something else."

The BP Pill (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 23, 2015

For Edema: "I am on Day 3 of this medicine. I dropped 6.2 lbs. of water. I got leg cramps the first night and realized I did not drink enough water and that I needed low sodium V8 to increase my potassium levels so I don't cramp. My blood pressure is back to normal and it is great to see my ankles and legs stop swelling. On Day 2 and 3 no problems. Drink plenty of water and drink V8 or eat a banana to up your potassium."

Kat7 June 4, 2015

For Edema: "This drug almost killed me. I lost nearly 15 lbs. in 3 days. No, I wasn't exercising and yes most people would celebrate, but I was severely dehydrated and had a head ache that WOULD NOT GO AWAY. If you are diabetic, tell your doctor to give you another prescription."

Valeriepl May 3, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been on Diazide for 38 yrs. My drugs store told me they couldn't get the meds. anymore, so I got a prescription for Maxide!!!, I took one dose and I got very sick and weak. I did not take another one. I got online found another Drug Store, ask them if they carried Diazide in the Phrma. He said YES. I got my doctor to write me another script. I drove 35 miles and got my Diazide. (Mail order now)"

DoeRiddley April 25, 2015

Dyazide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene) for High Blood Pressure: "I was on Maxide years ago when first diagnosed with hypertension, it did not work for me. I was finally put on Dyazide which had worked for 20 years. I moved to NC where Maxide is used, while I understand they are supposed to be the same, my BP is 160/90 right now. Maxide does not work for me, and I don't understand why."

rainbow53 April 3, 2015

Maxzide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene) for Edema: "I used to take just hydrochlorothiazide alone, and Maxzide is night and day difference... I take it for first time, and 2 hours later, I lost possibly 5 - 6 pounds of water... I can see my abs again. WOW! I suffer from fluid retension from uncontrolled Hashimoto's."

Facial/Body water retension (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2014

Dyazide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene) for Edema: "I break a 50 mg tablet in half and take the half every other day. It really works and I find I need to increase my liquid intake particularly on the days I take the 1/2 tablet otherwise I tend to have some muscular cramping. This is especially true in leg muscles."

Pamepie (taken for 10 years or more) July 24, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on this medication for two weeks and my blood pressure has definitely dropped from 150-180/96 to 118/68. My main side effect is severe nausea right after taking it in the morning. I've tried to take it with food, milk, and lots of water, but my stomach will hurt for an hour or more no matter what. Unfortunately, I just have to stick it out since I'm only 24, 5'5 and 115 lbs, exercise regularly, and eat really healthy. Also, if you're taking this medication make sure your doctor is checking your potassium and electrolyte levels. Should be done within the first month of starting the medication."

HowDoIHaveHTN (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2013

For High Blood Pressure: "Been taking hydrochlorothiazide/triamteren for 10 days. My blood pressure is 106/66 now. I take my BP twice a day. It sometimes runs as high as 160/90. I only take BP med Benicar when BP is high. Also take atenolol 25mg -1/2 tablet twice a day for fast heart beat. I feel good but am wondering if the low BP is ok. Female 71 years old 140 pounds 5'3."

knerak1918 October 3, 2013

Maxzide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene) for High Blood Pressure: "I started using Maxzide 15 years ago and it reduced my blood pressure which was between 135 and 160 to less than 130. I am now 71 and another medicine has been added. But 15 years on side effects and all was well."

Ken B July 12, 2013

For High Blood Pressure: "It works, but I am constantly urinating and constipated. I lost five lbs within two days after starting this medication, but I feel that I am losing too much water. I am thirsty, but I avoid drinking water because of the constant urination. My mother has been on it for decades and was diagnosed with gout last year. Her specialist told her the hydrochlorothiazide/triamterene caused the gout. She is no longer on the medication, but still having gout flare-ups. I haven't taken it for about a week, and I decided to reduce my salt and reduced the amount of food I am eating since I am overweight. It has been working, but I am monitoring my blood pressure by taking readings every morning and evening. I'll see what the doctor says."

SoupBowl June 15, 2013

Maxzide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene) for Edema: "Used this to treat water retention and worked great. Passed a lot of urine quickly."

clare n. (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 3, 2013

For Edema: "I have high blood pressure and edema. The hydrochlorothiazide definitely made me lose water weight- about 6-7 pounds but it really seemed to cut sexual desire and often made me nauseous and gave me diarrhea. I had to stop taking it because of the nausea. The night after the first day I'd stopped taking it, my sexual desire returned but when I got up to urinate, I noticed the veins on my penis were abnormally enlarged. The veins went back to normal after that night. I think I had a reverse reaction when my body tried to adjust to the medicine being out of my system. Probably the water had no escape mechanism without the medication."

waternam April 8, 2012

For High Blood Pressure: "This medicine was added because Atenolol alone was not controlling the borderline high blood pressure. I didn't have much side effects at first, but now I can't walk a block with getting very painful leg cramps. My doctor told me to quit taking it until he can run blood tests. I have been drinking lots of water, which was supposed to help with the cramping, but has not relieved it."

Anonymous September 30, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been using this medication successfully for several years. Lowered blood pressure and no side effects. This last month my prescription company switched manufacturer and I had a severe reaction to the drug. Please be careful if the pharmacy switches brands. The manufacturers are not all the same."

gsf March 27, 2011

Dyazide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene) for High Blood Pressure: "I had a very bad reaction to Dyazide for high blood pressure. After 3 days, I was overwhelmed by disorientation, heart palpitations, muscle cramps in my feet and legs, dizziness, and nausea. Although I was drinking a great deal of water, I was found to be severely dehydrated with electrolyte imbalance."

Anonymous November 15, 2010

Maxzide (hydrochlorothiazide / triamterene) for High Blood Pressure: "I had tried numerous blood pressure medications. Almost all affected my sexual performance negatively, and I also experienced headaches in the morning ALL EXCEPT THIS MEDICATION! This was without a doubt the best I had used to date. Please comment if you have tried, I would like to hear from others who have. "

duhbraz April 10, 2010

For Edema: "The swelling in my feet and ankles decreased over the course of five days but it interacted with my anti-depressant medication and rendered it useless. I couldn't even force myself to get out of bed. I lost all interest in activities that I had enjoyed. Had to stop taking it."

njmonica December 3, 2009