User Reviews for Guaifenesin

Also known as: Actifed CC Chesty Cough, Air Power, Allfen Jr, Altarussin, Altorant, Amibid LA, Anti-Tuss, Aquamist, Balminil Expectorant, Beechams Veno's Expectorant, Beechams Veno's for Kids Chesty Cough, Benadryl Chesty Forte, Benylin E, Bidex-400, Breonesin, ...show all 118 brand names

Learn more about Guaifenesin.

Guaifenesin Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 36 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Guaifenesin to treat Fibromyalgia

"The Guaifenesin protocol has helped me beyond all belief. Before I found Guaifenesin, I was mentally incapacitated and was ridden with pain. I experienced a neck injury by lifting my handicapped mother who has a debilitating disease. Seconds after the injury, all of my Fibromyalgia symptoms surfaced. After finding a support group, I started on Guaifenesin, the miracle drug, 6 months after my injury. Without this drug, I would not be able to live a "normal" life. I immediately started on the road to recovery. It was a slow process but gradually improved my symptoms. Now, 16 years later, I can honestly say that Guaifenesin has given me my life back."

bigfoot16m (taken for 10 years or more) August 24, 2016

"I had excessive join pain, gastrointestinal issues, and had severe depression. After a 2 year Guaifenesin program and avoiding 100% of all Salicylates for the past 13 years, I am 100% Free of ALL Fibromyalgia symptoms for over 13 years. At any time in the past 13 years, however, if I so much as consume a Mojito, chew mint gum, use mint toothpaste, or use ANY salicylate, my joint pains reappear within 20 minutes. Be sure to ALWAYS check EVERY Product that you consume or use on your scalp or skin. Use Laundry Detergents and dryer sheets with No Dyes and No Perfumes. Generic products with No Dyes and No Perfumes are perfect. Several "Hypoallergenic" eye make-up brands are NOT hypoallergenic any longer and have caused rashes."

St. George August 15, 2016

"I have been using guaifenesin as a treatment for the reversal of fibromyalgia symptoms for 4 years. As an RN, I was very skeptical since there aren't any positive studies done for this purpose. I had suffered with fibromyalgia symptoms for 12 years, was nearly bed bound, and was researching electric scooters. After relocating to Hawaii, I met an RN who leads a fibromyalgia support group focusing on utilization of guaifenesin. Having nothing to lose by trying this treatment, and trusting a fellow RN, I began the protocol. 4 years later I'm walking a mile daily, cleaning my own home, engaging in multiple craft activities (ceramics, sewing, painting, and gardening), swimming, and enjoying life again. This has given my life back."

lemonlocks (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 15, 2016

"I have been on guaifenesin for almost 20 years using the protocol that Dr. St. Amand founded. It has been a life saver for me as I was able to get my health and stamina back in shape by closely following his instructions and recommendations. I was able to maintain my executive working position and later was able to be a caregiver for two family members. I highly recommend this drug and protocol."

JeriLynK August 14, 2016

"I have been using guaifenesin to treat my fibromyalgia since 2001, strictly following the book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia" by Dr. R. Paul St. Amand. Initially it was all by prescription, then there was otc Mucinex which didn't seem to work as well. I have since been on the plain white Guaifenesin 600mg tablets sold under different brand names such as CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Target manufactured by Perrigo and they have been most effective. I now run a support group in Hawaii and have seen 100's get well by using guaifenesin. Please check into it: www.fibromyalgiahawaii.com Don't let an old flawed study of over 25year ago stop you from looking into it. You only have your life to gain back! We are proof!"

mspuna August 13, 2016

"I use 600mg of guaifenesin twice a day as part of the Guaifenesin Protocol as outlined in the book "What Your Doctor May NOT Tell You About Fibromyalgia." I also avoid topical and dental salicylates (also in the book) and I have begun the process of reversing my fibromyalgia symptoms by expelling the excess phosphates from my system which contribute to my fibro pain (please read the aforementioned book to get the complete description of the mechanism for this). Guaifenesin is the only thing that has ever worked on my insomnia (suffered for over 40 years of sleep issues) and now I can get good quality sleep! I have had no bad side effects and guaifenesin has no interaction with other drugs. But I don't need any drugs for pain or fibro!"

kspeaker67 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 12, 2016

"Gone ate daily headaches, skin has cleared up, stabbing pains in hips and lower back are gone, restless leg syndrome gone, pins and needles in feet gone, muscle pain in legs from a daily seven on the pain scale to a two. Foggy brain very much improved. Severe fatigue almost non-existent. I'm exercising for the first time in two years and very grateful."

Grateful In Wisconsin (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2016

"It has reversed my Fibro symptoms to a level that allows me to have some of my life back."

THEQueenBeeyatch1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 12, 2016

"The ONLY thing that works for my type of FM which is caused by the buildup of calcium/phosphate"

Hope00 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2016

"I tried Mucinex about 6 years ago, but decided it didn't work after only a week of use. About 8 months ago I started taking Mucinex because I developed a chronic cough (M.D. feels it is due to allergies/sinus drip), and after 3 weeks, I suddenly noticed every cell in my body no longer hurt. Yes, I still have neck and low back pain, but that is unrelated to fibromyalgia. The fibromyalgia pain has decreased by about 75-80% (deep tissue is still sensitive if tested). I take 12mg Mucinex DM before bed. Both my physician and pharmacist approve. None of the prescribed meds worked and none were without side effect. Sometimes I take a generic, but mostly I stick to Mucinex. I am so grateful to have relief after so many years of suffering."

Jane Grapes (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2016

"I have had fibromyalgia for most of my life. Even as a child I suffer from severe leg pain. Each time I was given guaifenesen to help ease asthma congestion I always felt better. Today I take magnesium, guaifenesen, and vitamin D1000 x 3 and I finally have my life back. I tried Lyrica which locked up my jaws. Cymbalta and many other antidepressant's to no avail. For those of you that it doesn't help perhaps you need a second opinion on your diagnosis. I have to many friends on these meds that have reclaimed their life for this treatment to NOT be on to something. Perhaps more research is needed, but why would they do that when the medical and big pharma is getting rich shoving Lyrica, Cymbalta down our throat and getting rich."

CeciliaJayne (taken for 10 years or more) May 14, 2016

"I started taking guaifenesin about three weeks ago at 600 mg every morning . I had improved in most of my pain but still was getting that evening pain and so I just increased to take another 600mg in evening. I slept so deep and woke up feeling like a new person. I will continue on this because nothing else has ever helped my fibromyalgia better. I can get my life back together now."

Happyfibrogone (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

"My teen daughters were diagnosed with Fibromyalgia before I was. I did tons of research to help them and stumbled on Dr. St. Amand's Guaifenesin Protocol as well realizing that I had a lot of the symptoms as well. We went to Marina del Rey to see the doctor himself and were diagnosed. That was over a year ago. Guaifenesin has helped us all immensely. My daughter was dancing competitively and then couldn't do anything. Now she is dancing again, getting better all the time. My youngest has had her IBS symptoms disappear! You really have to follow the protocol as written, by removing salicylate products and taking long acting guaifenesin. I suggest getting the book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia." Read it to understand."

fibro mom (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2016

"I've been taking Guaifenesin for 18 months, along with following all of the guidelines written by Dr. R. Paul St. Amand in his book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia". Before I started the Guaifenesin Protocol, I was in so much pain, and had so much fatigue that I was in bed much of the time. Slowly and steadily, I am getting my life back. My pain is much better. The fatigue still comes and goes, but gets better each month. Some of my other Fibro symptoms are completely gone. It is VERY IMPORTANT to follow the protocol as written by Dr. St. Amand, especially avoiding plant products (salicylates) on your skin. Just taking a Guaifenesin pill will not make you better. Do your research--you can do this!"

NancyB,FibroFighter (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2016

"Mucinex (guaifenesin): "With moderate to severe fibromyalgia for 25 years, lost my career & lived in fear of having a life to avoid a flare-up mostly sleeping bedridden 75% of time. I also have polyneuropathy, trigeminal neuralgia, occipital neuralgia, severe cervical DDD, myelopathy, etc.. have tried every antidepressant, SSRI, pain medicine, anti-inflammatory..you all know, with major side effects. Feb 2016 I got a cold on top of allergies used Mucinex daily 800 mg then up to 1600 mg & could not believe the relief even at 800! I have prayed for someone to invent a NEW MEDICINE for fibromyalgia that would work..turned out this OLD MEDICINE has returned a lot of my life to me, helps the pain, brain fog, fatigue& depression too!"

SDCalifGirl (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2016

"My Fibro pain started 35 years ago and all the doctors shrugged their shoulders. In 2000, I was finally diagnosed and given pain and sleep medication to control the symptoms. At this point I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. When I finally climbed out of the hole, I wasn't content with just "controlling" the symptoms with medication. Yes, it put me to sleep the 1st week and made things worse but the guaifenesin worked very gradually, and over time I began to improve. This is NOT an instant fix. or cure. It takes months and even years. Over the past 16 years I have stopped taking Guaifenesin 3 times and each time I have been slammed with pain within a few weeks. The lesson is just keep taking it."

Brenda501 (taken for 10 years or more) February 16, 2016

"I have been using Guaifenesen for 10 years now. Like my Doctor said, I had initial relief, then cycled between feeling worse and better, and now my CFS / Fibro is much milder than it was. I avoid Salicylates, but accidental exposure isn't a disaster, since I am not a strong blocker. For me, it works best just before or just after mild exercise, like a 1 mile walk to work, or mowing the lawn. I take 1/4 of a COSTCO 400 mg. Tablet whenever I feel Fibro pain, or before anticipated exercise, or after unexpected exercise."

Jefflem (taken for 10 years or more) January 7, 2016

"I have been taking this medicine for 2-3 months now and although amazing results for my condition I have had constant kidney infections. I normally have no probs there so although it's amazing I have to stop taking it. Please be aware anyone that takes it!"

Ju-drop January 3, 2016

"I started a store brand guaifenisin three months ago 600mg extended release 2x a day for the fibromyalgia. Within two weeks, the extreme muscle cramps in my legs, feet and torso had decreased by 95%. Now that I have been taking this for three months, my IBS symptoms have decreased. I follow the salicylate protocol meaning no aspirin or related products and have changed my toothpaste and facial products to eliminate those that might negate the guaifenisin. Have also eliminated any herbal supplements to give this a try."

elmack (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2015

"I've been in the Guaifenesin protocol for over 2 years. It's given me my life back. It's not a quick fix or a cure but it reverses the symptoms."

Carmen Slater December 2, 2015

"I am a retired nurse. I have done all of the 'research' regarding the Guaifenesin for Fibromyalgia treatment. I was diagnosed a year ago with this painful, awful disease and am unable to tolerate any of the prescribed medication available. After a friend literally stumbled upon her Mucenex treatment - having an upper respiratory infection and her Fibro pain subsided! I started on the Guaifenesin only at 600 mg a day. Not only did my pain ease up immediately - my mucous level is lower and I am confident that this will help my C.O.P.D. because I am breathing better. (Oxygen dependent at night) This OTC treatment has relieved my pain by 80%. I am sleeping better and moving easier. This works and has changed my life and attitude."

Robbiesfine777 October 19, 2015

"I agree it probably doesn't work for the reasons set forth by St.Amand, but it did work for me (complying with the salicylate ban) in the timescales he finds, as follows: 3 days of nothing Then 2.5 days of feeling great Then 7 months of feeling worse than ever Then roughly 2 years of feeling much much better, but eventually it tailed off to nothing. Still the only effective FMS/CFS medicine I've tried except for LDN."

Wolfita (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 18, 2015

"There's enough evidence incl to indicate that Guaifenesin does not work at all as Dr. St. Amand proposes. I take it anyways for my fibromyalgia related phlegm. It might have a minor or major relaxant effect in higher doses, which explains the benefits that patients report (including some that suggest it worked instantly) but that's as far as it goes. I took it for many years in a desperate attempt to make it work as suggested and rid myself of every single salicylate with obsession. There was no experiencing of cycling or getting better. I lost a lot of money buying Mucinex long lasting and combining with short-acting, and upped the dose to 3600mg/daily at some point to no avail. I'm giving it a 1 because it is not a fibromyalgia treatment."

Didnotwork October 4, 2015

"Went on the guaifenesin protocol years ago stopped all salicylates and mint containing products this works changed my life"

Ev5 September 19, 2015

"I am a 57 year old male with fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed 22 years ago. I suffered with it for several years prior, Drs Were reluctant To diagnose, because it is a difficult diagnosis and rarely affects males. The symptoms were nearly debilitating. Treatment recommended at the time was elavil and lots of rest. Had some relief from Chiropractic, acupuncture, also from b12 and magnesium chloride injections. All relief was quite temporary.After suffering for several years, another Dr started me on the Guai Protocol. He did his research and knew the best results come from true slow release Guaifenesin only available from a compounding RX. I take 3000 mg per day with few side effects. With Mucinex, relif ia far less constant & long lasting."

copingwell July 19, 2015