User Reviews for Guaifenesin

Also known as: Actifed CC Chesty Cough, Air Power, Allfen Jr, Altarussin, Altorant, Amibid LA, Anti-Tuss, Aquamist, Balminil Expectorant, Beechams Veno's Expectorant, Beechams Veno's for Kids Chesty Cough, Benadryl Chesty Forte, Benylin E, Bidex-400, Breonesin, Bronchoril, Buckley's Chest Congestion, Calmylin Expectorant, Diabetic Expectorant, Diabetic Tuss, Diabetic Tussin Mucus Relief, Dristan Chesty Cough, Dristan Chesty Cough Guaiphenesin, Drituss G, Duratuss G, Family Meltus Chesty Coughs, Fenesin, Fenesin IR, Fenex-LA, G Bid, Ganidin NR, Genatuss, GG 200 NR, GG-Cen, Glytuss, Gua-SR, Guaiatussin, Guaibid-LA, Guaifen NR, Guaifenesin LA, Guaifenex G, Guaifenex LA, Guiacough, Guiadrine G-1200, Guiatuss, Halotussin, Help I Have Chest Congestion, Hill's Balsam Chesty Cough, Humavent LA, Humibid, Humibid E, Humibid Pediatric, Humigen LA, Hytuss, Iodrol NR, Iofen, Iofen-NF, Iophen NR, Jackson's Extra Strength All Fours, Jackson's The Original All Fours, Junior Meltus Chesty Coughs with Catarrh, Junior Meltus Colour and Sugar Free Expectorant, Kenkay Chesty Cough Eexpectorant, Lemsip Cough Chesty, Liqufruta Garlic Cough Medicine, Liquibid, Liquidbid 1200, Liquidbid LA, Liquituss GG, Lloydspharmacy Expectorant Adult Cough, Lloydspharmacy Expectorant Junior Cough, Lotussin, Mastussin, Mucaplex, Mucinex, Mucinex Children's Chest Congestion, Mucinex for Kids, Mucinex Maximum Strength, Muco-Fen, Muco-Fen 1200, Muco-Fen 800, Muco-Fen LA, Mucobid-LA, Mucus Relief, Mytussin, Naldecon-EX Senior, Nirolex Chesty Cough, Nyal Chesty Cough, Organ-1 NR, Organidin NR, Phanasin, Pharmacist Expectorant, Pneumomist, Q-Bid LA, Q-Tussin, Refenesen Chest Congestion Relief, Respa-GF, Ri-Tussin, Robafen, Robichem, Robitussin Chest Congestion, Robitussin Mucus + Chest Congestion, Scot-Tussin Expectorant, Siltuss DAS, Siltussin, Siltussin DAS, Siltussin DAS-NA, Sinumist, Sorbutuss, Strepsils Chesty Cough, T-Tussin, TabTussin 400, Tixylix Chesty Cough, Touro EX, Tusscidin, Tussin, Tussin Expectorant, Tussin Mucus + Chest Congestion, Xpect …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Guaifenesin.

Guaifenesin Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Guaifenesin to treat Fibromyalgia

"Following 6 months of chronic pain and fatigue, I was finally diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in September 2017. I'm a 19 year old male. I was bed ridden and felt my life was over. I found the Guaifenesin Protocol after many hours of Google Research. It works exactly as it says. I was completely pain and fatigue free for 3 days after the 4th day of taking it. I spiralled back into it until about a week ago. I am completely pain and fatigue free. I'm getting my life back. Thank goodness for Dr. St. Armand's Protocol. It seriously works!"

Fibrobegone (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been a healthy active male with no previous health issues. In 2000 I experienced a very minor injury which all on its own progressed until all of my muscles, tendons, and deep tissues were wracked with pain...10/10. I could not sleep for more than a few hours and I could not stay awake for more than a few hours. My life was destroyed. After prolonged testing I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Amitryptaline only masked the pain, but I've had to increase the dosage over the years and the fogginess in my head was terrible. A month ago I tried Mucinex 2x/day and the pain and fatigue and fog have since evaporated! I can run long distance again!!! No pain; no fatigue. I feel like Rip VanWinkle...where did the last 16 years go?"

CraigL November 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"One dose of mucinex w quanafenisin, pain 75% gone next morning, most days I can nearly get out of bed. This works for fibromyalgia, I've had for 17 yrs. I don't know why it helps! But nothing else has!!"

lisapet777 October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have osteoarthritis of the spine and have severe muscle aches and pains all day long and worse at night. I find that when I take 10ml of robutussin chest cough mixtureIi am pain free for the day. Another 10ml guarantees a good night sleep. Though not confirmed I suspect I have fibromyalgia...in addition to the osteoarthritis."

Asabus (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used the guaifenesin protocol for about a year, and completely reversed all fibro symptoms. My fibro symptoms occurred very rapidly, and I noticed that the change seemed to occur about the time I began applying those wonderfully scented lotions/potions to my skin nightly from places like Bath and Beauty, etc. I started researching and began the protocol after reading the book. I was completely better within a year, I would guess. I have stopped using Guaifenesin for 3-4 years now and have no recurring problems. I think I swamped my system so fast with salicilate products, and all those ingredients on the "do not use" list, that it was easy for me to quickly remove them from the lumps I had mapped by a specialist."

Sandra L. M (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My right foot has been extremely painful for the last 10 years. I realized there were days when I limped quite a bit. Friends started telling me, even on days when I thought I was walking normally, "I didn't know you were limping". I blame my foot pain on playing racquetball for 20 years. Finally had to quit. Recently I had a cold which is now just clearing up. I began taking 400 mg of Guaifenesin yesterday. I took one during the day and one at bedtime. This morning I stopped at the grocery. When I got out of the car I immediately noticed that the pain in my foot was gone. I remember saying to myself, as I walked into the grocery store, "what is this with my foot? It feels like it did over 10 years ago." I was able to run on it. Amazing!"

djdave (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had intense hip pains and muscle tightness for months and started to use Mucinex because of my cold. After taking it, I kept telling my wife that my hip is feeling better and better. I researched for ingredient in Mucinex and found guaifenesin. There were so many FM comments in the blog that I thought I was reading a wrong section. Been taking 600 mg of guaifenesin three times a day and my pains have subsided about 95% in just 2 days! I don't like taking any kind of drugs and will experiment with a lower dosage and what works for me. I actually stopped taking my dosage one day and the hip pain started to present itself again. Back on guaifenesin and pain subsided dramatically!"

Racquetballdoctor November 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"With 4 days of therapy of 2400 mg a day I can totally feel the difference, my muscles are not sore and swollen, I feel like a different person ! This is amazing! I am very happy because I think that I can make it through the day without narcotics ! Iif this continues to work , I will able to stop going to the pain clinic and do more activities that I have only dreamed about ."

Ronda Sparks October 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Saved my life because I didn't want to live like that. On my 20th year , 1996. It's life long treatment , not a cure , but symptom free in five years."

BigBadBobTwo September 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The Guaifenesin protocol has helped me beyond all belief. Before I found Guaifenesin, I was mentally incapacitated and was ridden with pain. I experienced a neck injury by lifting my handicapped mother who has a debilitating disease. Seconds after the injury, all of my Fibromyalgia symptoms surfaced. After finding a support group, I started on Guaifenesin, the miracle drug, 6 months after my injury. Without this drug, I would not be able to live a "normal" life. I immediately started on the road to recovery. It was a slow process but gradually improved my symptoms. Now, 16 years later, I can honestly say that Guaifenesin has given me my life back."

bigfoot16m (taken for 10 years or more) August 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had excessive join pain, gastrointestinal issues, and had severe depression. After a 2 year Guaifenesin program and avoiding 100% of all Salicylates for the past 13 years, I am 100% Free of ALL Fibromyalgia symptoms for over 13 years. At any time in the past 13 years, however, if I so much as consume a Mojito, chew mint gum, use mint toothpaste, or use ANY salicylate, my joint pains reappear within 20 minutes. Be sure to ALWAYS check EVERY Product that you consume or use on your scalp or skin. Use Laundry Detergents and dryer sheets with No Dyes and No Perfumes. Generic products with No Dyes and No Perfumes are perfect. Several "Hypoallergenic" eye make-up brands are NOT hypoallergenic any longer and have caused rashes."

St. George August 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been using guaifenesin as a treatment for the reversal of fibromyalgia symptoms for 4 years. As an RN, I was very skeptical since there aren't any positive studies done for this purpose. I had suffered with fibromyalgia symptoms for 12 years, was nearly bed bound, and was researching electric scooters. After relocating to Hawaii, I met an RN who leads a fibromyalgia support group focusing on utilization of guaifenesin. Having nothing to lose by trying this treatment, and trusting a fellow RN, I began the protocol. 4 years later I'm walking a mile daily, cleaning my own home, engaging in multiple craft activities (ceramics, sewing, painting, and gardening), swimming, and enjoying life again. This has given my life back."

lemonlocks (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on guaifenesin for almost 20 years using the protocol that Dr. St. Amand founded. It has been a life saver for me as I was able to get my health and stamina back in shape by closely following his instructions and recommendations. I was able to maintain my executive working position and later was able to be a caregiver for two family members. I highly recommend this drug and protocol."

JeriLynK August 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been using guaifenesin to treat my fibromyalgia since 2001, strictly following the book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia" by Dr. R. Paul St. Amand. Initially it was all by prescription, then there was otc Mucinex which didn't seem to work as well. I have since been on the plain white Guaifenesin 600mg tablets sold under different brand names such as CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Target manufactured by Perrigo and they have been most effective. I now run a support group in Hawaii and have seen 100's get well by using guaifenesin. Please check into it: www.fibromyalgiahawaii.com Don't let an old flawed study of over 25year ago stop you from looking into it. You only have your life to gain back! We are proof!"

mspuna August 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I use 600mg of guaifenesin twice a day as part of the Guaifenesin Protocol as outlined in the book "What Your Doctor May NOT Tell You About Fibromyalgia." I also avoid topical and dental salicylates (also in the book) and I have begun the process of reversing my fibromyalgia symptoms by expelling the excess phosphates from my system which contribute to my fibro pain (please read the aforementioned book to get the complete description of the mechanism for this). Guaifenesin is the only thing that has ever worked on my insomnia (suffered for over 40 years of sleep issues) and now I can get good quality sleep! I have had no bad side effects and guaifenesin has no interaction with other drugs. But I don't need any drugs for pain or fibro!"

kspeaker67 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Gone ate daily headaches, skin has cleared up, stabbing pains in hips and lower back are gone, restless leg syndrome gone, pins and needles in feet gone, muscle pain in legs from a daily seven on the pain scale to a two. Foggy brain very much improved. Severe fatigue almost non-existent. I'm exercising for the first time in two years and very grateful."

Grateful In Wisconsin (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It has reversed my Fibro symptoms to a level that allows me to have some of my life back."

THEQueenBeeyatch1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The ONLY thing that works for my type of FM which is caused by the buildup of calcium/phosphate"

Hope00 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I tried Mucinex about 6 years ago, but decided it didn't work after only a week of use. About 8 months ago I started taking Mucinex because I developed a chronic cough (M.D. feels it is due to allergies/sinus drip), and after 3 weeks, I suddenly noticed every cell in my body no longer hurt. Yes, I still have neck and low back pain, but that is unrelated to fibromyalgia. The fibromyalgia pain has decreased by about 75-80% (deep tissue is still sensitive if tested). I take 12mg Mucinex DM before bed. Both my physician and pharmacist approve. None of the prescribed meds worked and none were without side effect. Sometimes I take a generic, but mostly I stick to Mucinex. I am so grateful to have relief after so many years of suffering."

Jane Grapes (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had fibromyalgia for most of my life. Even as a child I suffer from severe leg pain. Each time I was given guaifenesen to help ease asthma congestion I always felt better. Today I take magnesium, guaifenesen, and vitamin D1000 x 3 and I finally have my life back. I tried Lyrica which locked up my jaws. Cymbalta and many other antidepressant's to no avail. For those of you that it doesn't help perhaps you need a second opinion on your diagnosis. I have to many friends on these meds that have reclaimed their life for this treatment to NOT be on to something. Perhaps more research is needed, but why would they do that when the medical and big pharma is getting rich shoving Lyrica, Cymbalta down our throat and getting rich."

CeciliaJayne (taken for 10 years or more) May 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking guaifenesin about three weeks ago at 600 mg every morning . I had improved in most of my pain but still was getting that evening pain and so I just increased to take another 600mg in evening. I slept so deep and woke up feeling like a new person. I will continue on this because nothing else has ever helped my fibromyalgia better. I can get my life back together now."

Happyfibrogone (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My teen daughters were diagnosed with Fibromyalgia before I was. I did tons of research to help them and stumbled on Dr. St. Amand's Guaifenesin Protocol as well realizing that I had a lot of the symptoms as well. We went to Marina del Rey to see the doctor himself and were diagnosed. That was over a year ago. Guaifenesin has helped us all immensely. My daughter was dancing competitively and then couldn't do anything. Now she is dancing again, getting better all the time. My youngest has had her IBS symptoms disappear! You really have to follow the protocol as written, by removing salicylate products and taking long acting guaifenesin. I suggest getting the book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia." Read it to understand."

fibro mom (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking Guaifenesin for 18 months, along with following all of the guidelines written by Dr. R. Paul St. Amand in his book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia". Before I started the Guaifenesin Protocol, I was in so much pain, and had so much fatigue that I was in bed much of the time. Slowly and steadily, I am getting my life back. My pain is much better. The fatigue still comes and goes, but gets better each month. Some of my other Fibro symptoms are completely gone. It is VERY IMPORTANT to follow the protocol as written by Dr. St. Amand, especially avoiding plant products (salicylates) on your skin. Just taking a Guaifenesin pill will not make you better. Do your research--you can do this!"

NancyB,FibroFighter (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Mucinex (guaifenesin): "With moderate to severe fibromyalgia for 25 years, lost my career & lived in fear of having a life to avoid a flare-up mostly sleeping bedridden 75% of time. I also have polyneuropathy, trigeminal neuralgia, occipital neuralgia, severe cervical DDD, myelopathy, etc.. have tried every antidepressant, SSRI, pain medicine, anti-inflammatory..you all know, with major side effects. Feb 2016 I got a cold on top of allergies used Mucinex daily 800 mg then up to 1600 mg & could not believe the relief even at 800! I have prayed for someone to invent a NEW MEDICINE for fibromyalgia that would work..turned out this OLD MEDICINE has returned a lot of my life to me, helps the pain, brain fog, fatigue& depression too!"

SDCalifGirl (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My Fibro pain started 35 years ago and all the doctors shrugged their shoulders. In 2000, I was finally diagnosed and given pain and sleep medication to control the symptoms. At this point I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. When I finally climbed out of the hole, I wasn't content with just "controlling" the symptoms with medication. Yes, it put me to sleep the 1st week and made things worse but the guaifenesin worked very gradually, and over time I began to improve. This is NOT an instant fix. or cure. It takes months and even years. Over the past 16 years I have stopped taking Guaifenesin 3 times and each time I have been slammed with pain within a few weeks. The lesson is just keep taking it."

Brenda501 (taken for 10 years or more) February 16, 2016