User Reviews for Fexofenadine to treat Urticaria

Also known as: Allegra, Allegra Allergy, Allegra Hives, Mucinex Allergy, Aller-Ease, Allegra ODT

Fexofenadine has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 42 ratings for the treatment of Urticaria. 71% of those users who reviewed Fexofenadine reported a positive effect, while 24% reported a negative effect.

Fexofenadine Rating Summary

7.2/10 average rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Urticaria.

Reviews for Fexofenadine

Josh the scaffolder Uk · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 2, 2021

“Hi guys, had hives now for just about over a year, it is only caused by heat nothing else, never changed my diet I’m fit and healthy and train 5/6 times a week at the gym, obviously the hives outbreaks are horrendous as it covers my whole body except my face. I been taking fexofenadine 180mg for almost 6 months and no use at all if anything it makes it less itchy but the rash is worse , I’m going to start taking two in the morning from now and see what happens..”

Tannie April 10, 2021

“Effective for my dermatitis or ezcema and hives. It does take away the sneezy, watery nose and itchy eyes. I have been taking it for two weeks daily. Currently, my allergies are so terribly bad that I itch everywhere, even in my groin; it is embarassing. So I am stuck with this 180mg med. I used to have UV light therapy which helped greatly. Now I live away from my dermatologist. I don't know what is worse, the anxiety side effects or my constant itching and redness on my skin, which sometimes turns brown when scratched. Pinetarsol soaks in a bath-tub helps temporarily. Any heat and sweatiness brings the urticaria back. Some pred cream prescribed doesn't really solve the problem. I really wonder what is the cause and the immunologist, dermatologist and GP can't tell me. Just saying that its pollens, creams, food and a host of other stuff causing it plus stress. I wonder whether I can take the COVID vaccine with such a problem. It's been 10 years of suffering.”

GlueBear · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2020

“So I used to use Over the Counter antihistamines but recently they’ve become ineffective. The Doctors prescribed me with fexofenadine and it did not do anything at all. I’m struggling really hard because I’m bed ridden most of the day because all the sneezing is causing pains in my body from all the strain. I’ve gone back to trialing over the counter medication.”

Trac May 5, 2018

Allegra (fexofenadine): “Guys, it works great for a temporary relief of the hives for sure. Don’t ever settle for idiopathic if you get them often though. I have been going through this for years myself, constant break outs, suppressing symptoms, now I’m done doing that. I’m getting to the root of the problem, and the answer is going to integrative functional medicine. This issue seems to be more gut related and it’s gonna cost me a fortune, but they have the proper tests to run to find out what’s going on instead of pushing a million pills on you. Let me tell you, my issue and probably a lot of you have auto immune related things going on. Don’t ever let someone tell you that auto immune means your body is attacking itself, I can promise you it’s not. It’s your body trying to heal itself, that’s what our bodies are made to do in crisis. I will update once I get my tests done.”

bash-terminal · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 16, 2019

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I started getting daily urticaria in October 2018. At first, I just hoped it would go away, and I refused to take antihistamines, but after a month of itching and rashes, I started taking Allegra. The Allegra worked well; my rashes and itching were significantly reduced. However, Allegra is only effective for me at daily doses of 180 mg or higher. I tried the 60 mg doses; they helped but there was still itching and random rashes. With my doctor's approval, I eventually doubled the dose of Allegra to 360 mg daily. This dose is very effective for me. For me, side effects are non existent with Allegra. I have tried other antihistamines, but Allegra and Loratadine are the only ones that aren't noticeably sedating. Cetirizine is supposed to be non-sedating, but that isn't the case. If anyones has chronic urticaria, I recommend first trying the 180 mg dose of Allegra. If this isn't enough, talk to your doctor to see if it is okay to take the 180 mg dose twice daily.”

CL August 29, 2019

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I have chronic idiopathic urticaria, may have autoimmune component. It started 4 months ago after multiple days off bites by oak mites and maybe a spider or two. I'm on 3 x 180 mg Allegra and 300 mg zantac in the morning plus 3 x 10 mg Zyrtec and 300 mg zantac at night. Plus miscellaneous Benadryl here and there. Hives went away for few weeks and now they are back. Can't afford Xolair. Not sure what's next. This is craziness. Might have to research "Vitamin D deficiency in chronic idiopathic urticaria"”

Hive free August 19, 2016

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I have suffered from severe urticaria for years, claritin and zyrtec never did anything for me. I tried oatmeal creams and baths , benadryl and any kind of anti-itch cream I could find, nothing works like Allegra and Pepcid, as long as I take it daily I'm hive free. ALLEGRA is the answer to Hive sufferers.”

Red August 10, 2019

Allegra (fexofenadine): “My sister in law whom is a M.D, recommended me Allegra daily for my urticaria. I was hesitant at first for the fact that I didn't want to begin my day taking pills. I guess I was waiting for my hives to clear on their own which till this day I still struggle. Allegra, is my savior I take 1 every morning to relieve my itchiness and welts, they help me very much.”

Akash V b January 10, 2018

Allegra (fexofenadine): “It's a great medicine for the hives I get Daily, other medicine were good but non drowsy allegra is the best solution. Now my worry is how can I get rid of the hives permanently coz if I don't take a pill a day then the hives start appearing back immediately. Any solutions?. My life is now dependent on this medicine. Can anyone please tell me the side effects of this medicine coz am taking it on daily basis.”

Bamakama December 11, 2013

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I was taking Zyrtec, Benadryl, Benadryl gel and Pepcid for hives. Nothing got them under control until I tried Allegra. I am amazed my doctor did not suggest I try it. I had a week of steroids which worked but the hives came back once I finished them and the doctor would not give me more (not that I want more) I was miserable--now it's tolerable. Still have no idea what caused the hives. I am 53 and have never had a hives outbreak like this.”

fanofallegra February 27, 2012

Allegra (fexofenadine): “My husband got a very acute urtricaria on his whole body for 2 weeks. Nothing helped really to get rid of the burning patches. Benadryl caused more drowsiness then any help and additionally my husbands face was sweeling all over when taking Benadryl. Finally we got Allegra 180 mg pills. And just after the first Allegra pill all red patches on his skin and all swollen areas were gone for good as long as he keeps taking it twice a day 180 mg each tablet. This medicine is really great.”

Rakhi dewan · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 11, 2017

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I am 47 years old and I have been suffering from urticaria since 2014. After lots of treatment now I am taking allegra 180mg twice a day...but only when I take allegra my itching reduces (does not completely vanish) but when I didn't take it again erupts. Is there no permanent treatment to it? How long one can take medicine..”

Ladyy July 27, 2011

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I have urticaria for more then 6 years. Finally I got this pill Allegra 180mg, finally works. I took about a week and my hives are really gone, and now I'm finally happy and I don't feel any side effects at all. ”

MariaNL29 August 19, 2014

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I have been suffering from hives on my face (very embarrassing) from food allergies for the last few years. Since I gave birth to my first child it became worse. Finally an allergist suggested I take 60mg of Allegra everyday and for the last week I have been almost 100% hives free. My face is so clear and white again! I feel amazing and confident again thanks to Allegra.”

Works incredible w/o side efct · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2015

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I went to a local clinic to treat Urticaria and was given 60mg of prednisone on my cheek. It had no effect on my body and the symptoms even got worse. Then my doctor recommended to take Benadryl (H1 blocker) and Zantac (H2 blocker) altogether. I took both pills and it made me extremely drowsy (Benadryl) and Zantac actually alleviated my symptoms just a little bit. I woke up next morning and found out that Urticaria has come back. Then someone recommended me to take the Allegra (Fexofenadine 180mg) and it really works without any side-effects of drowsiness. I think Fexofenadine is god given allergy medicine. I tried Benadryl, Zyrtec and Claritin before. Their effectiveness on Urticaria is far less than Allegra.”

Alexandriagal November 10, 2015

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I have chronic idiopathic urticaria and like a lot of other people on this thread I tried Benadryl,creams, oatmeal baths, changing soaps... didn't help. I tried Allegra for the first time last night and had almost instant relief. I still have some hives but the itching is far less intense and the hive are less red. I am glad I came across some of these reviews!!”

JohnHivefree April 1, 2015

Allegra (fexofenadine): “Had chronic urticaria 3 years ago, tried everything from Benadryl, Zyrtec, Claritin and nothing worked. Took a Allegra 24 hour and 70% of my hives have disappeared leaving me less itchy. Wish I would've found out about this site earlier to do my research. This is my first day on the medication, hopefully it will go away after this week.”

wranrox March 24, 2013

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I finally found a medication that controls my hives. Ever since I was a kid I have ben battling hives that come and go every couple of years. Its the type where my face swells and hives all over. I've been through prednisone treatments and several other medicines that make me drowsy. Nothing works like Allegra. Definitely worth the price.”

Deedee · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2020

“I was prescribed fexofenadine 180mg daily for severe itching due to eczema but I also suffer from hay fever too. Initially worked great for the itching (I was talking it every other day at this point), however when hay fever season started I upped this to one tablet per day and began to experience horrible symptoms. I had heart palpitations, anxiety and had panic attacks for weeks before I realised that it might be caused by these tablets. I also have a heart condition (mitral regurgitation) and thought this was getting worse as the palpitations were horrible so was very concerned. After stopping the medication I felt better within a few days although the anxiety did linger for a week or so. Very scary experience!!!”

p2themadd May 11, 2013

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I have had chronic hives for the past 8 months and originally took Zyrtec which worked OK for a while but then stopped working. I switched to Allegra which I have been taking for about 3-4 months now and it has been working.”

Andrea B April 22, 2016

“I have severe chronic ulticaria angieodema. My gp prescribed me 180mg a day which helped but not resolve the problem. He then had me try piriton which made me sick and dizzy. He referred me to an immunologist who has now prescribed me 720mg a day fexofenedine. Its been a week i feel like a new person.. only downside is convincing my go that my immunologist knows what he is doing updosing x 4!! Ppl get yourself referred to an immunologist and get yourselves sorted out ☺ note i am in the uk and my immunologist was done via private health cover and my drugs are via the nhs.”

Sonny July 20, 2018

Allegra (fexofenadine): “Been battling Uticaria for 5 years and taking Certizine, Hydroxyzine and Zantac. Constant itching. Don't know why. Never completely goes away unless I take prednisone which I normally don't use, but I will take for about a week to get some relief from the constant itching. I try, not very successfully, to not to scratch the itchy hives which I hate with a passion. Because of the favorable remarks about Allegra I'm going to use this medication. I've also been treated with Light therapy which has worked quite well in temporarily clearing up my skin.”

robin k April 20, 2015

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I suffered from chronic itch all my life tried almost every other antihistimine to the point I had to start with prednisone every 3 months for a week to get rid of the itch over my whole body eyes running nose I would have such severe itch that I just could not function normaly got 4 hours or less sleep a day. I now use this medicine for 2 days now, after one hour I took the medicine I felt my eyes not itching and my skin feels much better to the point its liveable. Now I hope this will keep working even after some time because all previous medication would only work a few days a week tops so if this will continue to work I can finaly start my life. I'm 22 years old and I finaly have new hope now thank you fexofenadine!”

Sm · Taken for less than 1 month April 12, 2019

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I have eczema which cause awful flare ups on my hands and caused my skin to get dark . All the topical steroids I applied did not help heal the skin neither did it change the color. However with one allegra a day my skin instantly looked and felt better. Also, it always cures any respiratory allergies as well. I truly recommend this medicine.”

Gabe773 August 7, 2015

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I recently had an allergic outbreak of hives ... My doctor prescribed prednisone 6-day pack and steroid cream. I tried benadryl first thinking it would help control the itching. It did not. I was so miserable from the itching the hives caused I was willing to try anything. I came across this page about Allegra. I was prescribed Allegra in the past and it worked really well for my seasonal allergies. I decided to give Allegra a try ... I'm glad i did!!! It Stopped on the itching and cleared up 80% of my hives in 1 hour... Thank God this is Over the Counter. Doctors always tell you to use Benadryl ... it will only make you sleepy and its not very effective at controlling the itch of hives. Unless you take a very large dose.”

Mary · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2020

“Went to pharmacist this morning after suffering continuous sneezing , itchy eyes and nose running like a tap. He gave me fexofenadine 180 and said it would work. I have now taken the correct dose of tablets since this morning and absolutely no improvement . I'm desperate. Tried other anthistamines before this and they don't work either.”

Muneeb-India · Taken for less than 1 month July 1, 2017

Allegra (fexofenadine): “From past 1 yr I'm having chronic urticaria. If my diet is clean no hives occurs, it's due to food that I eat. After months of steroids and h1 & H2 antihistamines I have recovered almost 70% now from past 3 days I didn't took any medicine, as I ate some oily food n chicken outside my hives have increased so now I'm taking Allegra 120 mg (half)tablet after reading all the above comments. Next review will be soon”

Hussein · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 20, 2019

“Been suffering from chronic idiopathic spontanous uritacaria for 3 months now. Drs prescribed this after I had taken week prednisolone and ranitidine (zantac). I started on 120mg which didn't work then drs increased my dosage to 180mg twice a day that did not work. I've just not bothered taking it unless necessary now and I think benadryl gives me slight comfort. Fexofenadrine is absolutely useless for me. This was the same medication I was given last summer due to hayfever and it did not work at all. Terrible”

Learn more about Urticaria