User Reviews for Duragesic to treat Pain

Duragesic Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 1465 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Duragesic

bloxham · Taken for 10 years or more January 19, 2016

“I have been all the way up to 150-200 mg with 30 mg breakthru. I really had a life then but wasn't really "there". I couldn't find any doctor in my area to presribe fentenyl so all I got was 15mg oxycodone and that's it. I have a 30 degree curve in back, left hip damage, Crohn's disease and now colon cancer. I'm back on them but only at 50 mg every 72 hours. It's a joke. The DEA here is cruel to people that truly need it. Tolerance included, I don't absorb oral meds but do receive very few 15's for break thru. I am waiting for a pain pump once my colon is removed but can I make it? I'm angry, depressed and want to just sleep without screaming.”

Edlove · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 17, 2015

“powerful narcotic good pain relief”

Anonymous700 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 6, 2013

“Controls pain very well. Great for baseline around the clock coverage with short acting medication for break through pain. DO NOT ABUSE THIS MEDICATION! ”

SUZANNEY01 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 3, 2012

“I was "scared" at first to try Duragesic because I knew this was a very strong pain killer. But I was taking so many pills without much relief that something else had to be done. I still have some pain (back pain - 3 compression fxs., and a fractured kneecap). The patches have been a big help in managing all my bone pain. Glad I was "brave" enough to try them. My Dr. is great to prescribe them,”

Anonymous May 23, 2012

“I started on the patch approximately 6 yrs ago with a 0.50 patch for low back pain. Due to withdrawal symptoms on the third day, (sweating, chills, fatigue) I was increased to a 0.75 patch and then again to a 0.100 patch. I've been on it for two years and with the exception of the first 36-48 hrs. I have side-effect problems that are terrible. I have lost all my upper teeth due to gum loss and decay, this just after spending $2000 to get my teeth put into shape. I go from hot flashes and drenching sweats to chills every 10 to 15 minutes. I have severe backache, headache and urine retention. The patch did wonders for my pain, but long term, the side-effects aren't worth it for me.”

Anonymous January 26, 2012

“My husband has spinal stenosis. He had major back surgery so his Dr. prescribed this medication he was doing a lot better. He actually could move. Now his Dr. ups and quits and he has no more medication, no Dr. at his practice is able to write out this prescription for him and now he's back in bed. ”

belldom November 24, 2011

“My doctor recently put me on the Duragesic patches. For years I have tried many other medications with nothing positive to say about them, until now. I tried the patch and automatically thought it was great. I put the patch on, and it seemed like even though it says 72 hours it really only helped for 48. I made my doctor aware of these concerns and he instructed me to replace the patch every 48 hours and placed me on a breakthrough medication. Since then I have actually been comfortable for the first time since my accident. I think the patch is great!”

kcpain November 17, 2011

“I have a doctor who is not into breakthrough medicines that much but he is still reluctantly writing Norco 10/325 for my breakthrough pain and I found that this medicine does pretty good for about 40 hours. The 72 hours they claim is a real stretch. ”

MRSDJMCW October 30, 2011

“Scoliosis and multiple herniated discs in both my neck and lower back have required quite a few spinal surgeries but left me in chronic pain. Over the years it has increased to the point where nothing was helping my pain. My pain Doctor started me on Fentanyl 100 and slowly raised it to 150 over the course of a few years. Currently I am able to control my pain to about a "4" out of 10, by adding Oxycontin for breakthrough pain. Drowsiness and constipation are the most annoying side effects but its worth it to get my life back to semi-normal.”

Sasseyjeans July 23, 2011

“I was on 15 different medicines for pain and muscle spasms. I have been on the patch for 4 months and my pain has dropped so much it is unreal. I didn't know about this, until 4 months ago I had been in the bed for almost 15 years due to car crash. I find this medicine to wonderful.”

DavidBH December 17, 2010

“I have a severe back condition which has resulted in chronic lower back pain for more than 25 years. I was using oxycodone (Oxycontin) and other pain related drugs until I developed a very severe allergic reaction. I started on Duragesic 50mcg Patch which I have tolerated with only the very minor side effect of mild constipation about once every 2 - 3 months. I have moved to the Duragesic 100mcg patch for the past 4 %u2013 5 years, this medicine is a true wonder. I am able to adjust my dosage from between 50 to 100mcg as required, and the most important thing is that I can lead a normal life mostly pain free. The patch lasts between 48 to 72 hours dependent upon my activity, if I sweat the patch only lasts 48 hours.”

back to pills December 16, 2010

“I was put on Duragesic when the MS Contin wasn't enough to control my chronic pain, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia, even with breakthrough medicines. At first the patches worked well once I got up to a dose that worked. The only horrible drawback is that I live in the desert and once the daytime temperatures got over about 90 degrees F the patches began dumping more because of the heat. I finally had to quit using them, due to side effects brought on by the high temperatures. Also at times I would just fall asleep. I finally quit the patches all together when I fell asleep driving and almost had a bad, bad wreck. I feel the patches work great for people who don't have to deal with high outside temperatures.”

canjomo July 14, 2010

“My quality of living without constant pain has been great...now the down side....attempting to go off the medicine...withdrawal etc. I was up to 100 mcg...I am now down to 37 mcg....will attempt to continue to decrease dose....wish me luck!”

Anonymous April 3, 2010

“I just had the worse 3 days of pain in many months because Rite Aid gave me the Generic patch. It isn't the same. The brand name has a delivery system with a reservoir of medicine on top of the patch. For me the brand name worked great.”

Anonymous January 10, 2010

“I have partial seizures and take medication for that. The first 24 hours were frightening. I almost went to the emergency room. After 3 days of tremors and high anxiety the pain was back. A week later I began having seizures day and night everyday. My hormones went crazy with hard swollen breasts and facial breakouts. My entire chin was covered in blisters and painful acne. After a month, I couldn't function with the seizures and my veins were bulging and bright blue on my chest, neck and face. It has been so scary and the withdrawals are just as bad. I've taken Soma and Lortab for chronic fibromyalgia for 8 years. I am disabled by the pain and very disappointed by all the medications I have tried.”

Anonymous October 24, 2009

“I could not live without my patches but I took the bus to Kansas to see family and my suitcase managed to disappear. I had the worst withdrawal I have ever been through. I ended up in the hospital, and had to fly home.”

kwilly July 30, 2009

“I was put on Vicidin first for my chronic back pain, didn't work then the doctor said to try injections they worked for about a month. Then I got pain so bad I couldn't get out of bed 1/2 the time and my family doctor said he didn't want to give me anything stronger because of seizure medicines I was on. I tried everything for pain, then someone suggested pain management finally a doctor listened. He put me on the Fentanyl patch. I feel like I'm 20 again. I can work, do things I couldn't do before with me kids and grandkids. This patch is a God send. I did experience heavy sweating and vomiting and dozing off till my body became adjusted. Now I still get the nodding off effect occasionally, and itching where the patch is.”

Anonymous July 27, 2009

“Duragesic was a great blessing for me. I'd been on Percodan x 4/day for about 2.5 years when I developed an ulcer from the pills. Doctor started with 50 mcg/hr, but that didn't do it, the 100 mcg/hr is working good still for me. I suffer chronic low back pain worsened after failed surgery. I've been on these for about 3 years now and am starting to have more breakthrough pain and still get Percodan for these times. Suspect tolerance is developing, but without the patches my quality of life was almost zero, barring the fact you are alive. These have given me back much of the things I enjoyed doing before, but requires moderation on my part more now. Only down side I see is the cost and addiction factors. Well worth it to me though.”

Anonymous July 15, 2009

“I used this for several years with good results. Only problem was I metabolized the medicine too quickly and the third day was more painful. My decidedly low-tech solution was to remove only 2/3 of the backing plastic the first couple days, then remove the last bit for the third day. I take extended release morphine now and it works just as well. It's a toss-up between wearing the giant patch and dosage issues verses remembering to take a pill every 8 hours. ”

billiejomallory June 2, 2009

“If this medicine works it's great, however a good amount of the time the patch was as full when it was time to change it as it was when I put it on. Then the side effects they list don't even come close to everything you go through. However ER Staff have stated that most patients taking this drug usually go back on it as the withdrawals are hard to handle.”

oppapeter May 20, 2009

“Having a positive feeling for the fentanyl transdermal system I would recommend it to anybody, but after using the 100mcg/hour ones for 5 years I have noticed that the patches don't last for 72 hours. I believe that I am one of those people who require change every 48 hours which will be conveyed to my Doctor in a few days.”

apere April 29, 2009

“I have been on Duragesic 75mg for about 5 months now and it has helped more than all the other pain killers I have been on. I have had three major back surgery's plus DDD and osteoporosis. The only thing is make sure you have water proof tape around because they sometimes become loose and fall off and you don't want that.”

akell April 6, 2009

“Good efficacy.”

Kat4fsu April 3, 2009

“This patch has been the most effective in treating my spinal pain, however due to a change in work and traveling extensively the restrictions about getting a refill is hard. ”

ian aussie March 28, 2009

“Great as a pain reliever but major, major problems when I contracted Legionnaires disease and had to be put on strong antibiotics, Biaxin and E-mycin. These made my whole system go into meltdown until I removed the patch and went back on MS-Contin. Be very careful of drug interactions.”