User Reviews for Famotidine/ibuprofen

Also known as: Duexis

Famotidine/ibuprofen has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 40 ratings on Drugs.com. 58% of those users who reviewed Famotidine/ibuprofen reported a positive effect, while 23% reported a negative effect.

Osteoarthritis
6.9
Rheumatoid Arthritis
NSAID-Induced Ulcer Prophylaxis
6.5
Summary of Famotidine/ibuprofen reviews 6.5 40 reviews

Reviews for Famotidine/ibuprofen

Goodtate · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 18, 2021

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen) for Osteoarthritis: “I have been taking Duexis off and on for 5 years...first for a sprained ankle and then knee surgery. It works wonders for me and I am lucky as I have no side effects, and my insurance covers it. It works so well that I nearly get goosebumps after taking it, as it wipes clear each and every pain I have. I am careful not to use it often, though.”

Jessie July 21, 2020

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen) for Osteoarthritis: “Duexis is a great medicine, but my insurance does not cover it. The cost is 2800.00 a month. Yes the decimal point is in the correct place. How can these drug companies live with themselves? I can’t afford that.”

Nia · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 17, 2019

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen): “I have been taking this combination medicine Duexis for a few weeks. I have tendonitis and had surgery on my wrist. This helps with the pain a lot. The downside is the price, it was very expensive but my doctor recommended it. I order from a specialty pharmacy and I only paid $10 Vs $600 at walgreens. I haven't had any stomach issues. I had a cold and this even helped with my sore throat and inflammation. So far so good.”

Elorea · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 16, 2019

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen) for Osteoarthritis: “Four ibuprofen and one Zantac does not compare to one of these pills. I was told by my insurance company they would not cover cost of Duexis so I use them only if I know I'll be on my feet all day to keep my knee pain in check. With 4 Ibuprofen and 1 Zantac I have to take the dose 3x a day. With Duexis I only need 1 for my day, so there is definitely something else going on with this drug. Something else in the formulation. I'd be ecstatic if the insurance would cover this drug. 800mg/day Duexis over 2400mg/day Ibuprofen would be great.”

Relived · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 29, 2019

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen) for Osteoarthritis: “Severe hip and back pain, spinal injections did no good. Dr gave me samples of duexis and it worked wonders! Insurance would not pay and substituted ibuprofen and pepcid. That resulted in severe indigestion. Finally was able to get insurance to pay for duexis! Whoever developed this medication is a genius! I am pain free with one pill per day. I am 83!”

ChrisN22 · Taken for less than 1 month March 5, 2014

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen) for Osteoarthritis: “Easy to take, no side effects, but did not relieve pain and discomfort as well as expected. Did not seem to be any more effective than Advil Liqui-Gels, which have been taken for the pain condition for several months.”

Marty · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 13, 2019

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen) for Osteoarthritis: “Duexis works for my arthritis and spinal degeneration/spurs. No issues with recurrence of stomach ulcers. However, the cost is so high until deductibles are met, makes it prohibitive. At retirement I will not have insurance at all, will not be able to afford.”

Mr.Sunnyside28 · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 3, 2018

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen) for Osteoarthritis: “DUEXIS prescription medication has been a miracle drug for me over the last couple of years. I was in the middle of a 5 car pile-up on a major highway accident a couple years ago, ....and was experiencing significant lower back pain for the first time in my life. My Primary care physician suggested Duexis , because x-rays showed visible arthritis in my back. This great drug combination is a patented formulation which is not the same as buying ibuprofen and famotidine over the counter.!!!! I wish the average person would learn what I just said, but sometimes it's hard for correct information. Duexis has been very good for removing my pains ...and I have very good regular visits with my Doctor, ...but I am seeing some side effects over the years. I usually take just one pill a day now , but after reading these reviews, I will also reduce it to 7 days on/7 days off. I will soon be 59. ”

careful nurse January 22, 2016

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen) for Osteoarthritis: “I have 5 lumbar 5 cervical bulging discs = left sciatic, left hip pain, bilateral wrist to above elbow pain. The pain is severe. Per MD orders, I took Duexis 7 days on/7 days off for two cycles. When I stop, within 3-4 days pain makes my life dysfunctional. Within 2 days of starting, the pain decreases significantly. The drug is extremely expensive so MD ordered 800 mg tablets ibuprofen and I bought over the counter 10 mg famotadine tabs. I have been taking that duo twice a day and the Duexis once a day. I am very reluctant to take this med long term because of my age (70 ), IBS, and possible liver/kidney problems. However, it is the ONLY regime right now that relieves the pain.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 3, 2017

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen) for Osteoarthritis: “This medication has changed my life. I was in so much pain day and night that I had trouble sleeping. I didn't go places because my pain was so bad. Now I can sleep at night and most important to me is that I can play with my grandchildren again”

Dakota · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2018

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I got this med for my RA after naproxen was not longer doing the trick after 5 years. I’m conflicted on how to rate the medicine because there are pros and cons. For one, the price is ridiculous. It’s $5 to get the 2 meds, versus hundred for this “special one”. Also, the studies saying that Duexis is better at reducing ulcers than both meds separate aren’t statistically significant. Secondly, I did find this medicine to help my joint pain, but I was constantly attempting to take the lowest dose, as said on the warning labels. However, my doctor told me to take it 3 times a day, so I reluctantly downed 2400mg of ibuprofen a day. 2 months in, I’ve developed ulcers. It does seem counterintuitive to have patients with a lowered immune system take medications with such high rates of ulcers. I’ve never had a stomach ulcer, so I didn’t realize I was susceptible. But for others who have “strong stomachs”, this may help you.”

Got food November 24, 2019

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen) for Osteoarthritis: “I have a degenerative bone disease in the back of my neck I've been taking duexis some 3 times a day for about a month. It helps but it makes me itch an I have to use the bathroom more, and it makes my eyes itch an swell some need to talk to my Dr about this thank God my copay is only 10.00 dollars”

Gulch · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 12, 2017

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen) for Osteoarthritis: “As a lunch lady, I use my hands extensively & they ache! Also have severe arthritis in my AC joints. I tried many cheap, generic meds for OA, with no relief. Doc gave me a sample pack of Duexis & I've been taking it ever since. Only thing that works for me. With the co-pay coupon that is offered, it's a no brainer!”

Michael J · Taken for less than 1 month December 16, 2018

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen): “I've have had a lower back issue, imaged on an MRI showing a bulging lumbar disc which I have had for a couple of years. Been treating it with injections that haven't been of much help. The initial pain was not severe but I took treatment. A few weeks ago, something happened and my lower back became sore to the point that I was ready to step in front of a moving train. I took an injection, made the pain worse. Saw a new doctor, planned weeks in advance. I was nearly immobile during the visit. We discussed treatment and the new doc provided a Duexis sample pack as well as Lyrica. I took the Duexis that night and woke to at least a 50% pain reduction. Added the Lyrica and several days later my pain is about 90% relieved. I've been Rx'd an opioid but haven't taken it as I feel so much better. I'm not a believer in this type of relief on this type of med with the incredible pain I had, but I can only say that the Duexis is responsible.”

Fitness Buff · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2015

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen): “I was prescribed Duexis for bursitis and IT Band syndrome. After taking five tablets over two days, according to the directions and always with food, the effects were unbearable. I first noticed rapid weight gain then severe stomach pain, and ultimately diarrhea which was black and sticky. Wicked stuff. Stopped immediately, will resume with low doses of ibuprofen and naproxen. The only good thing I can say about it is that it did control my pain and provided a deep, restful sleep.”

Ricky T · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2019

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen) for Osteoarthritis: “I have arthritis on my left hip. I've been using this drug for a very short period of time and I must say it is working for me! But after reading all the reviews about long term use, I am now reluctant! I will consult with my DR. As for the price, yes very expensive but, I've been using capsule they are very reasonable with the price ! look it up !”

Yankguy70 March 30, 2015

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen) for Osteoarthritis: “After taking one pill twice per day for three weeks I suddenly experienced in the middle of the night an excessive amount of blood being discharges with diarrhea. This continued every two to three hours until mid-morning when I was admitted to a hospital. I was dx with diverticulosis and admitted over night. Was treated with antibiotics. The bleeding stopped by midafternoon. The following day I was discharged and then went to see my family Dr. He did not believe that I had diverticulosis as I had NO pain associated with the episodes. After reviewing my meds he told me I should contact the prescribing Dr(knee specialist) regarding the episode and continuing the meds for pain. I was told by the surgeons nurses to stop the meds.”

msjunior88 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 5, 2018

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen) for Osteoarthritis: “First - the cost is insane and ExpressScripts will not cover it although there is no FDA approved generic of this drug. Also, at first it seems to work like a magic little wonder pill and I felt great. When I got the second refill it seems like something has changed. It no longer works like it did. I truly feel the greedy people who make this insanely expensive ibuprophen have changed their formula to make you buy/use even more. I am considering not getting more and just asking my doc for something else.”

Releived · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2016

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen): “I have had injections for a severe lower back injury and have tried many different pain meds. Nothing helped me until My Dr. prescribed Duexis. This medication has given me my life back! I do think it might make me retain a little fluid and I maybe gained a few pounds but nothing significant. Also causes some gas. Nothing severe though! My pain level went from a 9/10 to a 2/3 sometimes even a 1 on this medicine!”

Heather D. · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 7, 2017

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “This prescription is absolutely amazing for my MIGRAINES/FIBRO/MENSTRUAL CRAMPS! Despite taking the full gamut of migraine medicines prescribed by a neurologist, I had to resort to my husband's prescription when the pain was just too much to take. Really takes the edge off a major migraine in full effect -- usually gets rid of it completely. I see alot of reviews for taking this 3x a day with bad consequences. Taking ibuprofen 3x a day (no buffer) made my stomach bleed in the same way they describe. I never use more than one of these a day--never need more because they work so well! :) Unfortunately Duexis is no longer available and the regular price is outrageous without the $off rebate via Chicago pharmacy. My dr prescr the drugs separately and it doesn't work as well.”

Nhbc · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 30, 2018

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen) for Osteoarthritis: “I thought this medication was improving my condition but as time went by it it only got worse when I just saw the bill from Aetna and saw what they were charging for this medication I would not have even taken the first pill. Oh my feet became very sore swollen and made walking much worse so I would not really recommend this to anybody. The cost is outrageous! Even though my out of pocket was low - it pushed me into the coverage 3 level.”

KimNJ · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2016

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen) for Osteoarthritis: “I am 48 & have OA in both thumbs, neck, lower back, both hips, both feet, & both SI joints. I am prescribed Norco 10's 4x/day & Zanaflax at night. This is the 2nd time my pain management dr has given me samples of Duexis. It is simply Pepcid & Ibruprofin so im not sure as to why some people would say it's so bad, unless they are have a drug interaction with whatever else they are taking. As for me it didn't help anymore than just taking any other OTC pain reliever. On this 2nd time after starting my feet & ankles have been swollen. I'm gonna stop taking it for a while & see what happens. Might just be a vein issue. My ins would not cover (medicaid of course)”

Anniebobannie · Taken for less than 1 month November 7, 2017

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen) for Osteoarthritis: “This medicine worked wonderfully for my pain from Undifferentiated connective tissue disease . I am 49 years old. After taking it I had virtually no pain which gave me the energy to get things done. Unfortunately after taking it as prescribed 3 times a day for a few days, I had a bowel movement that was black diarrhea. So I’ve been afraid to take it anymore.”

kismetangel · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2017

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen) for NSAID-Induced Ulcer Prophylaxis: “This medication has been wonderful or me. I take it for menstrual cramps, fibromyalgia and CFS symptoms, and headaches. It also is my go-to for my newly diagnosed illness costochondritis (painful chest wall and rib pain), which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Starts working in about 30minutes. I have multiple medical issues and take many medications daily, taking Duexis eliminates the need for a separate PPI (proton pump inhibitor). I highly recommend this medication, especially in the prevention of ulcers if taking NSAIDS will be a part if your daily life !”

Cc · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 19, 2018

Duexis (famotidine / ibuprofen): “I was given this medication for treatment of bursitis in my shoulder. I'm 31 years old, healthy. Excellent medication, worked great to relieve my pain. Minimal side effects, none of which stopped me from doing daily activity--it did cost me extra toilet paper! My insurance did not cover this medication, it cost me 10 dollars a month thru the specialty pharmacy I had to get it at.”

Justonegal · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 3, 2017

For Osteoarthritis: “I was prescribed Duexis for intense menstrual cramps caused by a large cervical cyst. This medication made the months waiting for a diagnosis and surgery much more tolerable. It was pricy (the insurance company did not want to pay for it!) and a little hard to get.”

Drea · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 13, 2018

For Osteoarthritis: “Was taking this medication for tendinitis. After a couple of months of taking 800mg once a day my resting heart rate increased from 67 to 75. Haven't been able to check my blood pressure yet while increased BP can be a side effect. Also have been experiencing chest pain and I know heart attack and stroke and blood clotting can be a side effect. I will stop taking this medication and see if my resting heart rate decreases and pay attention to continuing chest pain. I’m gonna have to experiment with anti inflammatory foods and spices.”

Sherryc · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2018

For NSAID-Induced Ulcer Prophylaxis: “Bulging disc/sciatica/uterine fibroids I take this as needed for pain associated with all of the above. Taking it 2x/day right now for cramping. Scheduled for hysterectomy next week. This works well but doesn't last until next dose.”