User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

3.7

Summary of Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo reviews 6.3 314 reviews

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

Bookreader32 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I only took this for a month and the first week didn’t notice any major changes so was hopeful. As the estrogen amount increased in the pill, I became more and more emotional, sweaty, and started having facial flushing. Also my ankles would swell- which was expected because this happens any time I’m on the pill. Besides emotional extremes, it gave me a painless period which I haven’t had in months (thanks to copper IUD). Doctor is trying me on Lo Loestrin next. Hoping it works!"

Sam · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 3, 2019

For Birth Control "Not sure why this particular birth control has received so many bad reviews on this website. I’ve been taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for close to 4 years now and it’s been VERY reliable. It helped regulate my menstrual cycle, I haven’t gained weight, no issues with acne. I haven’t experienced any negative side effect. This review is from a Canadian."

HB · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 9, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I’ve taken this birth control for about 3 years. Up until recently it’s been great, I had practically zero side effects besides some mood changes which only lasted the first couple of months. It decreased my PMS symptoms and I never experienced spotting, weight gain, acne, etc. However for the past 3 months I have been spotting every single day nonstop despite taking my pill religiously at the same time every morning and never missing a pill for three whole years. Nothing has changed in my life or daily routine that would explain the spotting. I was hoping that this would blow over since this birth control has (overall) worked so well with my body, but unfortunately I’ve decided to switch birth controls as the spotting has become unbearable and is a hinderance in my everyday life and sex life."

Toni · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 8, 2019

For Birth Control "Overall- one of the worst experiences of my life. First 5 months were fine; I never had PMS but do have cystic acne and this helped. But at month 6 I was switched to generic without realizing, and soon got migraines with auras right around ovulation, which I thought were strokes (extreme confusion, no memory, unable to speak, etc.) I also had EXTREME anxiety right before my period. To the point where no amount of xanax would help. High blood pressure and pulse. It was absolutely awful. Now I have 5cm ovarian cysts. Turns out migraines with aura on BC mean you're prone to stroke. I'm 24. I'd take painful cystic acne and risk of pregnancy over all these symptoms any day. Be careful ladies!!!"

Trixie · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 6, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I took this for 1.5 months due to heavy periods. I'm 37. First 2 or 3 weeks I was ok, by the 4th week my head was spinning! I took a pic of myself and couldn't even recognize myself it was that creepy. Almost like a demon possessed me. My vagina dried up so bad and felt swollen. Painful sex, stomach bloated up so bad (didn't gain lbs. But felt such painful bloating) it made me sad, especially after losing 50lbs on my weight loss journey. Cramping so bad. Vision change. I was so sad and ANGRY! Decided to stop it a week early or I'd die, so now off of it 2 months now and I get my period every 21 days instead of my normal 35. Yeah. Great! This stuff is a monster, my vagina is still not normal and I go in mood spurts that ARE NOT NORMAL! trying to fix my abnormal bleeding, what a joke, I'm now paying a deadly price. I give it a "shouldn't even exist" rating. Ruined and still is ruining my life. Don't do it! Find something else, do your homework before trying a pill. I wish I did."

Shi · Taken for 10 years or more July 4, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I’ve been taking this pill for almost ten years. I’ve discontinued it three times for a few months, but would reinitiate treatment because it really helped with my acne and menstrual cramps. In the past few months my acne got back and I’d be spotting the weeks before and after my period so I discontinued it. This was the best thing! Almost immediately I noticed an improvement in my mood and pain tolerance. I would get mood swings, feel super vulnerable, overreacted to small things and would care what other people thought. I felt my emotions were all over the place and I couldn’t control them. This caused anxiety and depressed mood almost everyday. I spent so much energy trying to manage my emotions! Once I stopped using the pill I got MUCH MUCH BETTER I also noticed I got thinner! In conclusion, it made wonders with my acne and cramps and I would give it a 10/10 just for that, but it’s not worth it if my quality of life deteriorates due to mood changes."

Candy1906 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 19, 2019

For Birth Control "Ok. I just backed to Tri Cyclen Lo after using Tri Cyclen because Try Cyclen caused me horrible break out. Tri Cyclen Lo works better on acne more than Tri Cyclen. Purchased for CAD $7.5 "

B · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2019

For Birth Control "I have acne prone skin and this birth control caused me to have dark spots on my cheeks and cystic acne!!!! Do not recommend if you have acne prone skin!!"

Leelee08 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 26, 2019

For Birth Control "I have been on this Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo pill for a little over two years now and just stopped taking it...HUGE mistake on my part. I should have stopped taking this a VERY long time ago. I have been super depressive and cry over absolutely nothing ALL OF THE TIME! The mood swings are unlike anything I have every experience and I am usually happy go lucky. It has made me feel like I am not in control of my own emotions and absolutely crazy. I do NOT recommend this birth control."

Aye · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2019

For Birth Control "This Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo birth control really helped. I had horrible acne and oily skin. It made me gain a little weight but that is okay considering I'm very thin. I struggle with extreme depression, anger, and anxiety, and this pill only made it worse. However, I was used to it already and was able to control it. It controlled my skin and prevented pregnancy however so I love it. I just went to the pharmacy and got this new pill Tri Lo Sprintec and after reading NOT A SINGLE GOOD review, I can say I'm scared for my life to take this lmao. Apparently it causes horrible acne mood swings cramps. And I already get all of those things. I'll take this for a month then update."

domoleblanc · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 14, 2019

For Birth Control "I was beyond being in a dark place on this Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo pill, my face broke out like crazy. I’ve had nice skin forever, and taking this pill I thought would be nice because I’ve heard reviews of it being good for your skin. It didn’t really help with my cramps either, they still hurt (my pain is as bad as having to book off a week off of work, fainting, throwing up ect). I failed 4 classes because I was so depressed everyday. This pill might work for you, but I wanted to leave my review because to warn other girls that may experience this super dark, depressing, dark hole that this pill put me in so you can have an understanding where it’s coming from."

Michelle · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2019

For Ovarian Cysts "The first week I was on the Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo pill I dropped ten lbs. I was eating better, but still! I didn't expect to lose that much. I rated it an 8 because I'm crying more and notice myself to be more irritable. I'm going to give it a few months before I decide to stop or not because I'm hoping to lose more weight!"

Meghan May 7, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I’ve only been on this birth control for 3 months, I’m constantly nauseated, my boobs are so sore, my moods swings are crazy, acne is AWFUL (I’ve always had super clear skin) my period stopped April 26th, I had been bleeding for 10 days straight, today is May 7th and it’s back again... something is just not right with this pill!!!!! I do not recommend to anyone"

akira · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 2, 2019

For Birth Control "I have been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen lo for the past one year and it cleared my acne, regularized my cycle and was great overall without much side effects. Just found out from my pharmacy that Janssen has discontinued this, I am scared to go to generics by seeing all their reviews. Which generic has been good after switching from Ortho Tri-Cyclen lo?"

Mynxie April 28, 2019

For Birth Control "I had been off of birth control for about 6 months, but the acne and PMDD symptoms were unbearable and I had met a guy. So, I go in and talk to my doctor and she prescribed me this. It was different than I was used to. I've never taken a triphasic pill before nor a 28 day cycle one. After the first two days I became severely depressed. I started crying over nothing. After a week my acne was cleared up but I had awful breakthrough bleeding. After two weeks, still bleeding, cramping (taking ibuprofen 5 times a day), no energy, acne is back and cystic in some spots, and an emotional wreck. Third week, I was in a dark, dark place mentally, worsened acne, and all of the above issues still remained. On the inactive week, I had bleeding so bad I contemplated adult diapers and had to call out of work due to the escalation in pain from the cramps. Had testing done; Not pregnant, no STDS, no pelvic inflammatory disease, no cysts, etc. I took this pill religiously at 6pm every day and was not on any other meds."

L · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 18, 2019

For Birth Control "This BC is great! I had previously taken Alesse, and only took it for two months, as I got crazy anxiety from it. A few years later I decided to try Tricira Lo (generic of Ortho-Tricyclen Lo). I had pretty bad acne before starting it, and this pill cleared it up almost completely! I love it, and for this reason I'm planning to stay on it for a looooooooong time. The only side effects were that my boobs grew a little bit and I gained about 5-10 pounds the first three months, but after 5-6 months, those both stabilized. I've been on it for about 2 years now and my acne hasn't returned. If you want a low dose BC and have moderate/severe acne, this pill is worth a try!"

Crissy March 27, 2019

For Birth Control "I used Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, the brand, for 2 years. It’s all I’ve ever used. I am 29 years old now and I am SO devasted that Jansen has discontinued this because it was too expensive to manufacture, which means they weren’t making as much money as they wanted. But for me it is the best birth control pill out there! No weight gain, no breakthrough bleeding or mood swings, no pregnancy and I’ve never used any backup birth control or condoms- just the pill. I don’t even know where to go now or what to use instead. Please bring back this birth control pill!! It’s been so amazing. I was even willing to pay the $150 per month to get it out of pocket because I don’t want to risk crazy side effects of any other birth controls."

lcg842 · Taken for 10 years or more March 13, 2019

For Ovarian Cysts "Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo has been THE BEST and ONLY birth control that has never interacted with any of my other medications. It's also the ONLY birth control my body was able to tolerate WITHOUT negative side effects. I was on the medication for 10+ years, and now they discontinued it. I am beyond devastated that I have to switch, since I am EXTREMELY SENSITIVE to medications and dosage changes. So far, I have tried another generic (Tri-Lo-Marzia), and had a terrible experience. I switched to something else, but still trying to adjust to the new one. I wish they would bring this medication back!!! PLEASE!!!!! CALL JANSSEN (1-800-JANSSEN, M-F, 9 AM-8 PM) and file a complaint regarding the discontinuation of this product. The more people contact them, the higher the likelihood they might bring it back."

MCS February 7, 2019

For Birth Control "I was on Ortho Tri-Clyclen Lo for 16 years. Never had any major problems or side effects. Just mild mood issues like crying on sappy commercials. Lighten and shortened my period. I can't speak to its effects on acne because my skin as always been clear with the rare occasion of a small pimple. But now some evil insurance or pharm co has decided to stop manufacturing Ortho Tri-Clyclen Lo and I've been switched to Tri Lo Sprintec and I'M TERRIFIED! The reviews I read were horrible! I model and can't afford any crazy break outs!"

don’tdoit · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 6, 2019

For Birth Control "OTCL messed me up. Before starting it, I was breaking out a lot. I was suggested OTCL, not only as BC, but also good for acne. I took this pill for a month and had to stop. I see reviews saying the first few months are brutal, but once you’re past it, it’s fine. But honestly, I couldn’t even handle all the side effects anymore. My acne seemed to get worse? I started a full on period after week one - heaviest flow I have ever had in my life, 9 days long, horrible cramps (I normally don’t get cramps). The mood swings - they were terrible. I would randomly just burst into tears over literally nothing. I felt anxious all the time, and whenever I was alone I felt very depressed. This is totally out of character for me! So I tried to tough it out and it only got worse. I finally decided to stop taking it, and wow. The difference is insane. Since the day I stopped I haven’t had any of those symptoms. I truly do not recommended this birth control. It was insanely brutal on my body."

deacon · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 1, 2019

For Birth Control "This was the best birth control option! I had debilitating periods before I started. On this pill, my cramps were a piece of cake, some cycles I didn't even get cramps! My breasts grew, skin looked great, no depression, anxiety, or mental health side affects. This is the only birth control that worked for me! Currently on tri-vylibra and I hate it. I think I should be on the Tri-Vylibra Lo but I'm on the bigger dose one (has 0.035 of ethinyl estradiol instead of the Lo that has 0.025mg ethinyl estradiol) and I'm breaking out, TERRIBLE mood swings / depression, boobs didn't grow, and AWFUL nausea my first week or so. I want to go back Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo !!!! I have no idea what I can use instead ;("

Owl · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2019

For Birth Control "My insurance switched me out of Tri-Cyclen Lo (which i was on for almost 3 years) to Tri-Lo-Sprintec and I’ve been taking it for 2 months. HORRIBLE. I noticed a huge shift emotionally and mentally. I’m constantly sad, depressed, I have no energy to do anything. I’m always crying over the smallest things. I usually NEVER write reviews on anything but honestly, I would recommend anyone on this birth control to SWITCH or just stop."

SwitchChangeAvoid · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on this birth control for 2 years straight in my teens for acne and birth control. Cleared out the acne those two years was pretty great but a lingering side effect was nausea every morning. Got off this BC for 3 years due to financial reasons. Was prescribed this again in April 2018 and the diarrhea and nausea began almost immediately until I stopped using it in November 2018. From that last day no diarrhea and no nausea. Good for bc no scares, but the side effects were awful. Am now on kyleena and it has been great."

shelboz · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 15, 2018

For Birth Control "Been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo 28 day for 1.5 years & it’s been great! Not a single pregnancy scare, decreased cramps, no nausea, barely any mood swings, overall excellent! HOWEVER, just recently got switched to the GENERIC version, Tricira lo, which was fine for the first 3 months, but as of a month ago, I’ve been recently having terrible brand new symptoms! Never missed a pill and take it at generally the same time every night like I always have! A month ago I started having terrible cramps and got my period a week early (during the active pills) which lasted for two weeks! I have had various panic attacks and find my anxiety to be 10x worse than it was before, not to mention I’ve been feeling nothing like myself lately! Extremely sensitive, crying all the time, very short tempered. A month later, I get my period today, once again during my ACTIVE pills, already accompanied by terrible cramps! Terrible! 7 stars because the real brand generic version is good! BUT THE GENERIC I S rubbish!"

Anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 23, 2018

For Birth Control "This is the worst birth control I have tried by far. Although it cleared my facial acne, my periods became even more painful to a point where I was vomiting. Around the middle of the second pack I started to have mood swings, and now, nearing the end of the third pack, I find myself constantly feeling depressed and on the verge of tears at any time. I can’t sleep, I have headaches, and I don’t feel like myself. I would not recommend this to anyone and am hoping that once I stop taking it I will be able to return to the happy person I was before I started it."