User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo has an average rating of 6.2 out of 10 from a total of 329 ratings on Drugs.com. 47% of those users who reviewed Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo reported a positive effect, while 26% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control
Endometriosis
Summary of Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo reviews 6.2 329 reviews

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

Nikki · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 6, 2021

For Birth Control: “DO NOT recommend. I went from a happy, silly, chill, laid back girl to absolutely crazy. My mood swings are completely uncontrollable, I have the worst anxiety Ive ever had, I became depressed. This pill had me waking up in the middle of the night throwing up, constant panic attacks, and absolutely zero sex drive. I went to my OB and she suggested I stop. I stopped it last night, hoping to get back to my old self.”

jules March 16, 2021

For Birth Control: “I went on this pill when when I turned 17, and I stayed on it until I recently turned 18. My experience with this pill was honestly terrible. If you are a women who suffers from anxiety and panic attacks like me, please find another birth control. I’ve had insomnia pretty much my whole life but this pill kept me up all night with panic attacks. I also gained 30 lbs, had crazy PMS symptoms, and I honestly just felt like I wasn’t controlling myself. It threw me into a huge depressive episode. As soon as I got off the pill I completely changed, I was back to my old self and everyone noticed. I was just prescribed another pill Lo Loestrin Fe, and I’m nervous but hopefully this one works for me!”

C · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 13, 2021

“The beginning of starting I was okay just nauseas. But now I am having problems with vaginal dryness. I am 22 and it is horrible I completely stay away from sex as nothing helps the pain and I am thinking of switching pills as my doctors said I’m perfectly fine, just dry from the pill and switching is my only option. It has made me anxious, insecure, depressed and so overly emotional I think I am done with this pill. Everyone is different and I’ve had friends love it but for me unfortunately it was horrible.”

Sam · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 3, 2019

For Birth Control: “Not sure why this particular birth control has received so many bad reviews on this website. I’ve been taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for close to 4 years now and it’s been VERY reliable. It helped regulate my menstrual cycle, I haven’t gained weight, no issues with acne. I haven’t experienced any negative side effect. This review is from a Canadian.”

Crissy March 27, 2019

For Birth Control: “I used Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, the brand, for 2 years. It’s all I’ve ever used. I am 29 years old now and I am SO devasted that Jansen has discontinued this because it was too expensive to manufacture, which means they weren’t making as much money as they wanted. But for me it is the best birth control pill out there! No weight gain, no breakthrough bleeding or mood swings, no pregnancy and I’ve never used any backup birth control or condoms- just the pill. I don’t even know where to go now or what to use instead. Please bring back this birth control pill!! It’s been so amazing. I was even willing to pay the $150 per month to get it out of pocket because I don’t want to risk crazy side effects of any other birth controls.”

rpvmaryam October 9, 2018

For Birth Control: “I've been taking this Birth control for 3 months after fighting with my insurance about not wanting the generic because they are different as we all know. I was approved OTCL so I was stoked. Even though OTCL reviews are scary, I'm prone to anxiety, depression and I had not ONE side effect from OTCL. Today I am very upset because according to pharmacists The manufacturer has discontinued Ortho Tri Cyclen LO?Why would the company do this? my insurance and I were paying for this and This is the ONLY birth control that has zero side effects for me I don't know what to do now. After doing extensive research on Tri Lo Sprintec, ALMOST ALL PEOPLE SWITCH BACK TO ORTHO TRI CYCLEN LO BECAUSE OF SIDE EFFECTS FROM TRI LO SPRINTEC OR ANOTHER OTCL GENERIC. I was told that generics have different binders in them (fillers such as sugar amount or other chemicals) that make body absorb medication differently PLEASE BRING BACK OTCL, I hope this is a False alarm and my BC will be back”

Anonymous February 27, 2008

For Birth Control: “I took Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for a year, during which I was having intercourse very regularly. It was the only form of birth control I used, and although I did miss a few pills, my menstrual cycle was always on time, although I often lightly bled during the third week as well. It had the added benefit of clearing up all of my acne, when previously I would get zits on my chin, forehead, and back. The side effects were mild; a nauseous feeling when I first woke up, and constant vaginal dryness.”

lcg842 · Taken for 10 years or more March 13, 2019

For Ovarian Cysts: “Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo has been THE BEST and ONLY birth control that has never interacted with any of my other medications. It's also the ONLY birth control my body was able to tolerate WITHOUT negative side effects. I was on the medication for 10+ years, and now they discontinued it. I am beyond devastated that I have to switch, since I am EXTREMELY SENSITIVE to medications and dosage changes. So far, I have tried another generic (Tri-Lo-Marzia), and had a terrible experience. I switched to something else, but still trying to adjust to the new one. I wish they would bring this medication back!!! PLEASE!!!!! CALL JANSSEN (1-800-JANSSEN, M-F, 9 AM-8 PM) and file a complaint regarding the discontinuation of this product. The more people contact them, the higher the likelihood they might bring it back.”

AGB310 June 5, 2014

For Birth Control: “Long story short, I had been on Necon for 8 years with no problems (clear skin, regular period, no mood swings). Recently there was some big shortage on Necon so my pharmacy replaced it with Nortrel which gave me really bad chin acne. I went to my Dr and she recommended Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo and said it was good for clearing skin. The first 2 pill packs my face went NUTS. I had acne all over the place. I was so upset and wanted to go off it immediately. But, I read reviews online and people said to give it a chance. I'm glad I did. My skin is now better than its ever been after 4 months. I rarely ever get cramps and do not have PMS at all. All I can say is give your body time to get adjusted if you are starting off on this pill and not liking it.”

Yo-yo · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 29, 2019

For Birth Control: “This birth control did a great job of preventing pregnancy which is why I gave it a 2. I did not like the way it made me feel which is why my rating is so low. I was constantly feeling low, crying for no reason a lot, and just never really happy. I ended up being on other prescribed medicine to help with that because I thought something was happening. One day I managed to line up the timeline of my sadness of when I started the birth control, and then came across this review page. I took myself off of the birth control and the behavioural medication, and I'm totally fine now. I laugh, joke, and feel okay about things. Everyone reacts to these things differently, but I know those reviews helped me, and hoping mine can maybe help someone else.”

MCS February 7, 2019

For Birth Control: “I was on Ortho Tri-Clyclen Lo for 16 years. Never had any major problems or side effects. Just mild mood issues like crying on sappy commercials. Lighten and shortened my period. I can't speak to its effects on acne because my skin as always been clear with the rare occasion of a small pimple. But now some evil insurance or pharm co has decided to stop manufacturing Ortho Tri-Clyclen Lo and I've been switched to Tri Lo Sprintec and I'M TERRIFIED! The reviews I read were horrible! I model and can't afford any crazy break outs!”

Priscilla · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 25, 2020

For Birth Control: “I have been on birth control for two years. I started Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo before switching over to the generic brand. When I started taking the birth control I was nauseous. I had loss of appetite and began to lose weight. I lost over all 40lbs in two years. I still don’t have a big appetite I do eat but my portions are smaller. My periods are normal and light. I like this birth control. It works well for me.”

Anonymous September 3, 2009

For Birth Control: “I have been using Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for 6 years now and I have always absolutely loved it! I never experienced weight gain, acne, mood swings and my period is every fourth Wednesday. I have no complaints. It is the perfect birth control for me.”

Anonymous May 9, 2009

For Birth Control: “I have been taking birth control pills for many years and Orth Tri-Cyclen Lo has been very tolerable with no side-effects besides one: PREGNANCY. I thought it was better than all the others I've tried since it didn't give me headaches or nausea, but I'd take headaches and nausea any day over this. I took this pill exactly as directed, at the same time every morning, never missing a single pill. I avoided foods and medication that could possible interfere with the pill's effectiveness. After a year of being on Ortho Tri-Cylcen Lo and having periods you could set your watch to, I noticed I was a day late. Unfortunately, I have become part of that very small percentage of women that becomes pregnant while taking hormonal contraception.”

Laureo June 8, 2013

For Ovarian Cysts: “I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome in 2011 and my doctor put me on Ocella. After about two years on it, I became so irritated and unhappy with everything I switched (Ocella is horrible). I called my doctor and explained that Ocella was making my hormones go crazy, so she switched me to Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo. I've been taking it for probably 6 months now and everything is great! My periods are really light, they've went from three days to two days, which worries me a little bit but my Doctor said this can happen after being on the pill for so long. I haven't gained any weight, my slight acne has cleared, & my breasts have jumped about one cup size! I also barely notice myself getting irritated anymore. So far, so good! This pill has been great for me.”

LovelyLady13 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2013

For Birth Control: “I must admit that some of the things that people experience from this pill is scary. ONE THING TO KNOW IS JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE THIS EXPERIENCE DOESNT MEAN YOU WILL. ALWAYS TRY IT YOURSELF. DIFFERENT BODIES HAVE DIFFERENT REACTIONS. I have been on this birth control for about 4 months now and I love it. I dont have mood swings at all I am very calm at all times. I did not used to be. I dont have vaginal dryness, yeast infections, UTI's, or anything else that people are saying besides breast tenderness. It only seems to be tender at night. I have not gained any weight. I think my breast are getting bigger which is a plus to me. I don't have acne like I used to. My periods are very light now.”

Anonymous April 17, 2008

For Endometriosis: “I have been taking this OC for 4 years. I have mild endometriosis with occasional pain and/or discomfort. This pill is amazing. It helps decrease the level of pain. I have had fewer mood swings. I have less bleeding during menstruation. I highly recommend this oral contraceptive to any woman who has had trouble with other OCs.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 20, 2014

For Birth Control: “I'd never been on birth control up until a few months ago, and I was given Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo as a starter, because I did not want it to have much hormones. I went through two whole packs and decided to switch because of extremely low sex drive, extreme mood swings and increased appetite (I would eat a full meal and two hours later my stomach would be growling again). My relationship began to suffer due to these side effects so I stopped taking it and am back to normal. However, this pill DID have pros: I didn't get pregnant, it regulated my period and caused no breakouts or acne. But be wary of weight gain, decreased libido and mood swings.”

Armygirl10 · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 9, 2013

For Birth Control: “I began taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo when I was 13, I am now 22. I was not sexually active at the time, but my periods were extremely irregular. This specific oral contraceptive helped to regulate my period and it has been perfect for the past 9 years. When reading these reviews, ladies must keep in mind that everyone is different. Genetics plays a huge role in whether you get/ have bad acne, cramping, low sex drive, etc. It may not be because of the pill, necessarily. In my 9 year experience with this particular product, I have never had a scare when I took the pill as directed. You will have a few of those symptoms, its just life. ”

lilly1978 August 25, 2010

For Birth Control: “I have PCOS and I had gone without a period for 10 months. My doctor put me on Loestrin. I was extremely moody and emotional, crying over everything and very depressed, plus I was spotting and bleeding almost constantly. Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo is the second pill my doctor prescribed, and I am beyond happy with it. I don't even notice that I'm taking it. There are no mood changes, I have lost a little bit of weight and it has even helped with my Rosacea. My periods are coming around the same time every month, which is wonderful because I am finally able to know when to expect it, something that I have never been able to do. The only complaint I have is bad cramps, but they only happen in the first couple of days.”

SierraUSAF · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 29, 2013

For Birth Control: “I'm 5'6 and 114 lbs. Very good pill to take if you're tiny and new to hormones. I recommend starting it the night of your new cycle to help your body get used to the hormones. Take it at night with a snack to fend off the nausea. STAY HYDRATED. You're going to confuse thirst with hunger on this pill. Drinking more water will combat bloating, weight gain, and fatigue. It takes longer to recover after workouts. My mood has improved drastically, as well as sex drive and wetness. My acne got worse, but I'll give it a few more months to straighten out. Love it so far.”

EightYearsAndCounting October 29, 2019

For Birth Control: “Canadian here. I started taking Tri-Cyclen Lo in senior year of high school, 8 years ago which was 2011. I have been consistently on it since then and I think it's a good birth control, but I've never tried any other ones. - Normal period, monthly - Minimal affect on regular mood / anxiety - Little bit of sickness starting new pack (sometimes) - No affect on depression or happiness - Minimal or no effect on sex drive - No affect on migraines, may actually help - No increase in weight caused by BC - No increase or decrease in acne All in all, this birth control has been good to me. I think it affects everyone differently. I'll stay on this BC until I decide to have kids.”

akira · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 2, 2019

For Birth Control: “I have been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen lo for the past one year and it cleared my acne, regularized my cycle and was great overall without much side effects. Just found out from my pharmacy that Janssen has discontinued this, I am scared to go to generics by seeing all their reviews. Which generic has been good after switching from Ortho Tri-Cyclen lo?”

cjenk15 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 4, 2020

For Birth Control: “I have been on this birth control for about 3 years. It was my first birth control I had tried. I have had absolutely no problems. I had horrible acne before I got on this birth control and after starting it, it cleared my acne tremendously. My periods are very regular. I know pretty much what day I will get it and it usually lasted 4-5 days. I have no cramps and it’s not heavy bleeding. I also haven’t gained any weight from it. I recommend this to anyone!”

Lyli22 · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 24, 2020

For Birth Control: “I took this medication for almost 10 years and it did prevent me from getting pregnant which is why I gave it a 2. However I did not realize it gave me digestive problems, brain fog, mood swings and depression for all this time. I came to this realization when I went off the pill and felt my mind getting ‘ clearer ‘ like I was finally thinking and acting normally. I would not recommend.”

L · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 18, 2019

For Birth Control: “This BC is great! I had previously taken Alesse, and only took it for two months, as I got crazy anxiety from it. A few years later I decided to try Tricira Lo (generic of Ortho-Tricyclen Lo). I had pretty bad acne before starting it, and this pill cleared it up almost completely! I love it, and for this reason I'm planning to stay on it for a looooooooong time. The only side effects were that my boobs grew a little bit and I gained about 5-10 pounds the first three months, but after 5-6 months, those both stabilized. I've been on it for about 2 years now and my acne hasn't returned. If you want a low dose BC and have moderate/severe acne, this pill is worth a try!”

Al September 17, 2019

For Birth Control: “I have never felt more insecure and anxious. I’m usually a very confident, happy go lucky person but ever since I’ve started this taking Ortho Tri- Cyclen Lo I am paranoid and insecure. I am finishing the pack and then switching.”

a;lsdkfj September 4, 2009

For Birth Control: “I used Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for about a year and a half. It worked pretty well in that I did not get pregnant and did not experience any harsh side effects. (On previous Birth Controls, I experienced sore and enlarged breasts, extremely decreased sex drive, and difficulty even responding to sexual anything). However, I did have more vaginal fluid than I was comfortable with and the fluid also had a different/weird odor. It helped my skin dramatically for the first couple of months, but after that it only helped some. My period was lighter and shorter on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, so that was a plus! No weight gain, no moodiness. On the whole, I'd say it was a successful birth control experience.”