User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
3.9

Summary of Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo reviews 6.4 288 reviews

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

For Birth Control "I've been taking this Birth control for 3 months after fighting with my insurance about not wanting the generic because they are different as we all know. I was approved OTCL so I was stoked. Even though OTCL reviews are scary, I'm prone to anxiety, depression and I had not ONE side effect from OTCL. Today I am very upset because according to pharmacists The manufacturer has discontinued Ortho Tri Cyclen LO?Why would the company do this? my insurance and I were paying for this and This is the ONLY birth control that has zero side effects for me I don't know what to do now. After doing extensive research on Tri Lo Sprintec, ALMOST ALL PEOPLE SWITCH BACK TO ORTHO TRI CYCLEN LO BECAUSE OF SIDE EFFECTS FROM TRI LO SPRINTEC OR ANOTHER OTCL GENERIC. I was told that generics have different binders in them (fillers such as sugar amount or other chemicals) that make body absorb medication differently PLEASE BRING BACK OTCL, I hope this is a False alarm and my BC will be back"

rpvmaryam October 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on Ortho Try-Cyclen Lo when I was a teenager and it worked fine. Fast forward a few years and two kids later, I am back on it. However, I've been experiencing mood swings, breast tenderness, and depression. I had no idea what it could be and it had me feeling worse by the week. To add to the problem, I developed hormonal acne, along my jawline. After seeing all these other reviews, I will be changing my birth control. I feel a little better knowing what could be causing these symptoms. I hope this helps someone out too!"

Jackie (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on this birth control starting at age 16 because my period wasn’t regular, which it helped for two years. Then I started having hot flashes, intense mood swings, gained weight, my period wasn’t regular anymore, and I was spotting. Never quite understood what happened so suddenly, but I had to switch and I’m glad I did."

Geez (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 14, 2018

For Birth Control "On month 3 of using the generic brand Tricira. After having baby #2 decided to go back on the pill due to horrible hormonal cystic acne. So far this hasn’t helped my skin at all. I also have constant abdominal pains and never ending migraines. I always notice I feel the worst once starting a new pack. Nausea, bloating etc. I have been taking BC pills for about 20+ years now and I have never experienced all of these issues! Switching asap."

Kmm1985 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2018

For Birth Control "I can’t rave about Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo enough. I’ve been on it for 14 years, never once a scare. I’ve got my hormone changes down so I know what to expect at every point in my pill pack (minimal things, like some nausea in the morning on the first 7 days, easily countered with some crackers before getting up if it gets really bad, which it doesn’t really anymore). I occasionally notice bloating, but this could be due to many other things. No weight gain, no decreased metabolism. I get my period at the same time every time (Tuesday night/Wednesday morning). Clear skin and no cramping. I’m 26 now and am sad that I can no longer afford to be on this medication due to the price increase, and change of insurance. Hopefully generic is the same....... I would love if this name brand medication would come down in price."

Mel (taken for 10 years or more) May 23, 2018

For Birth Control "I am super conflicted about this birth control. I have tried many pills and this is the one pill that I feel "myself" on. Has significantly decreased my acne, anxiety, mood swings, and depression. However, my periods are ~7 days long which kind of sucks. In addition, my appetite is out of control. The first week of the pack is usually okay, but going onto my third week I can gain ~6 pounds just from water weight and increased hunger wanting to eat everything in sight. I don't even remember what it's like to not feel hungry all the time. I will be switching next month in the hopes of gaining back control of my appetite!"

Mar (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 8, 2018

"Before taking this pill I was an extremely positive & happy person. I had killer cramps & I ended up in the ER so I needed them! I started taking the generic of Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo in June 2017 & the first 3 months were ok. I did notice lots of changes in mood & I got easily annoyed but it wasn't drastic; I cried many times over little things. My discharge was a bit thicker, yellowish & had a nasty odor; thought I had infections. One night in February I went to sleep & woke up a completely different person. I had never experienced horrible symptoms of depression in my life. My sex drive vanished, I became so dry & barely had discharge. The thoughts I had never went & I cried myself to sleep for 3 weeks. I finished my pack March 3rd and I've been off since. (was on 8 months) I still don't feel like my happy self but each day I’m getting better & I don't plan on taking again! Everyone reacts differently, but based on my experience I don't recommend!"

Anon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 24, 2018

For Birth Control "I’m 22 and have been taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen for 2 and a half months and it’s been horrible. I know your supposed to wait at least 3 months, but I can’t. I tried to ride this out but I just can’t anymore. I got on it because I have acne and acne medication did not work. I constantly have foggy brain, can’t think, depression, irrational thoughts, horrible headaches, and severe anxiety. My anxiety is so bad now that I start shaking, sweating, nauseous, and feeling faint in some social situations. And my acne is worse. I decided today that I’m done being miserable. I just want to feel like myself again."

llc (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2018

For Birth Control "Okay, so I started taking Ortho Try-Cyclen Lo when I was 15, and I can honestly say that it wasn’t one of the best decisions I’ve ever made in my life. Although it does not clear my acne up entirely, it does reduce it significantly and it makes is less painful and red. The bad thing is that, if you aren’t unable to take it for a month, your acne will reappear pretty bad. It happened to me last month (and a few times before) and it’s really hard to clear up your skin for a while. It might take a while until you see good results, so try to be patient."

Vyl (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Been taking ortho for 1.5 months and the first pack made me have a 3 week period with every pms symptom in existence. My weight has not moved in any way but I still have been getting slightly nauseated in the morning, my breasts hurt and I am feel like I can't get enough water to drink. It makes my mouth dry! I have one more pack of these and after that I am going to decide if I can take these or not"

Fzzy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on Diane-35 for about 4.5 years for poly cystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and acne. Worked AMAZING, clear skin, regular periods, lightened all my dark hair from PCOS. What I didn’t know was that once your acne goes away your supposed to get off of it because it shouldn’t be used as birth control alone. So my doctor prescribed me tri cyclen lo (the generic) and it’s been about 3 months and I hate it. I have so much acne on my back, worse then before. I broke out like crazy on my jawline and chest, and on top of that I have this weird rash on my chest. Friend of mine also said she got a rash on her chest as well from this brand. It only took about 2 weeks for all this to happen and I figured my body was just trying to get used to it but I’m going to be switching to something else, my skin has never been this bad in years. Not other side effects. Just made my skin worse."

Anonymous February 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been on 3 different types of birth control and this one is the best. My acne went away, barely noticeable PMS symptoms and it made my boobs grow a size or 2. I went on it to help my migraines and its definitely helping!! I would recommend this one."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 14, 2018

"I went back on this pill because I felt like I was aggressively emotional and my life revolved around my menstruation cycle. Its my 3rd month back on it, I have break through bleeding almost every day. I've gained 10lbs already. My appetite is insane/never satisfied. Its made me look very puffy on my hips/tum/thighs. I exercise regularly and eat fairly well. I became strict with my diet tracking every single calorie to see if that would help and it hasn't. At night I often find myself agonizing over how insanely hungry I am and I know its this pill! I'm giving it a couple more months but I have a feeling I'll go back off of it. Last time I was on it I was carrying around 30 lbs of extra weight and as soon as I stopped the pill, the lbs literally started to vanishing. My husband laughed at how fast the weight went and now he sees the same struggle I was having as before. This pill makes me feel like a hungry pig and I'm almost at the point where I'd rather be crazy than over weight."

LSPP February 3, 2018

For Birth Control "I switched from alesse to ortho tri-cyclen lo and so far loving this pill! I noticed a significant boost in my mood, generally happier throughout the day as well as my cup size increased. My acne cleared up almost completely and no weight gain. The only bad thing I noticed was slight nausea the first few days after switching brands but it was manageable and went away after a week. I would definitely recommend this pill!"

Jamie7842 January 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been on Ortho Tri cyclen lo for 9 months now and I am switching to another. The first 3 months were a huge wave of mood swings and acne. I gained 10 pounds in just 4 months and on top of that I have never been so prone to yeast infections !!!! I do not recommend this birth control."

hated it (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 3, 2018

For Ovarian Cysts "Horrible! I started using it as a recommendating by my doctor to treat PCOS. My breasts have been swollen since day 2, it's now day 14. I've had cramps, back pain, irritability, random crying fits, emotional out bursts, and now I'm spotting and I'm in so much pain. I also have diarrhea. This medication has been just horrible for me. I've used other birth controls. None have done this to me."

Kat z November 22, 2017

For Birth Control "Worst birth control I've ever been on. Extreme burning and itching throughout vaginal area, acne and horribly tender breasts."

AllyVu November 10, 2017

For Endometriosis "This is the third and most likely last hormonal BCP I tried in order to reduce the debilitating pain I go through almost every month, on the first or second day of my period. If I don't wake up before my period cramps start to take some pain medication, there's a 90% chance I'll be throwing up whatever medication I take and then 3-4 times again after until I eventually fall asleep exhausted from all the vomit, diarrhea, dry heaving... I switched to this pill because the first BCP I tried made me have week long breakthrough bleeding and second one left me depressed. This pill though left me severely depressed with no energy and made me bleed for 20 days straight... Sure the cramps were gone but I rather go through my cramps than this any day"

Negaar November 10, 2017

For Birth Control "It all makes sense after reading some of these reviews. I haven’t been the most active person, but I did gain close to 20 lbs which happened once before on the same medication. I’ve notice my mood being all over the place, rather inpatient and emotional at times. I also get headaches and now lower back pains. I think it’s time to break up with Ortho..."

!????! October 21, 2017

For Birth Control "I’ve been on this birth control for about 4 years and have had a great experience with it. My boobs got a bit larger on it from a B cup to a D, don’t think I gained too much weight, I am very active and have always stayed around the same weight, maybe 5-10 pounds more on it. I am pretty moody even before the pill, but I have noticed my PMS is worse on the pill, but it’s still manageable. Never had a pregnancy scare and me and my boyfriend have unprotected sex the last 3 years. Overall very effective and minimal side effects for me!"

Linds mo (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 9, 2017

For Birth Control "I was on OrthoTriCyclenLo for about 3 years. I had to switch off this pill because my insurance didn't cover it anymore and there was no way I'd be paying $109 per pack. I didn't have any bad side effects on this pill. I noticed I gained about 10lbs over the years on this pill, but I wouldn't 100% blame that on the pill, I'd say it's more to do with me not working out and stuffing my face. My boobs grew 3 cup sizes. I was a 36C before, then worked my way up to a 32DDD. My acne cleared up completely and if I ever did get pimples it was always around the same time in the same spot. My periods were 3-5 days and they were very light with little to no cramps. No condoms with bf and never had a pregnancy scare. I would recommend OrthoTriCyclenLo."

Lintendo6444 September 20, 2017

For Birth Control "I've taken this medication for 11 years and it's the only one that doesn't make me vomit or be bed ridden. The normal dose my body can't handle. It's made my acne go away better then any of the creams they have out there. Having the right dose is really important."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) September 1, 2017

For Birth Control "I am on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for acne and for pregnancy prevention. I started it on the first day of my period and experienced nausea for about the first week, gradually getting better as time went on. I am toward the end of my 2nd week of pills and so far, so good. I noticed my skin looks clearer already but my breasts have been ache-y and quite sore, and I have experienced some cramping/side/back pain as well with this. Had unprotected sex my 7th day of the pill (was advised that since I started the pill the first day of my period, it was effective at preventing pregnancy immediately, according to the FDA insert and multiple doctors), so we shall see what happens! No spotting or anything, which was a problem I had on the NuvaRing."

mollykatherine (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2017

For Birth Control "I have been on this medication for about 2 years now and I absolutely hate it. It worked very well the first couple months (originally went on it for acne) but then it started going down hill. I gained an unbearable amount of weight on my stomach and hips. My moodiness is disastrous to the point where I have can't have a normal conversation with people some days. I get extremely emotional, to the point where I cry over very small things. Not to mention, my appetite has spiked x100. I need to get off this asap. I don't recommend."

Magyar lany August 16, 2017

For Birth Control "This is an awful birth control. I was switched to it because my last birth control was very low dose and mainly for my acne, not pregnancy prevention. I am a gym junkie and eat super healthy but still gained so much weight on my hips and stomach. I was so exhausted I would fall asleep driving, and take daily naps - I have never been like that and have always had lots of energy. My face exploded with acne which hasn't happened to me in years. Not to mention I spotted every week before my period. Sometimes two weeks before. Overall this has done me no good. Do not recommend at all."

Brookea (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2017