User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
3.9

Summary of Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo reviews 6.3 297 reviews

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

For Ovarian Cysts "Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo has been THE BEST and ONLY birth control that has never interacted with any of my other medications. It's also the ONLY birth control my body was able to tolerate WITHOUT negative side effects. I was on the medication for 10+ years, and now they discontinued it. I am beyond devastated that I have to switch, since I am EXTREMELY SENSITIVE to medications and dosage changes. So far, I have tried another generic (Tri-Lo-Marzia), and had a terrible experience. I switched to something else, but still trying to adjust to the new one. I wish they would bring this medication back!!! PLEASE!!!!! CALL JANSSEN (1-800-JANSSEN, M-F, 9 AM-8 PM) and file a complaint regarding the discontinuation of this product. The more people contact them, the higher the likelihood they might bring it back."

lcg842 (taken for 10 years or more) March 13, 2019

For Birth Control "I was on Ortho Tri-Clyclen Lo for 16 years. Never had any major problems or side effects. Just mild mood issues like crying on sappy commercials. Lighten and shortened my period. I can't speak to its effects on acne because my skin as always been clear with the rare occasion of a small pimple. But now some evil insurance or pharm co has decided to stop manufacturing Ortho Tri-Clyclen Lo and I've been switched to Tri Lo Sprintec and I'M TERRIFIED! The reviews I read were horrible! I model and can't afford any crazy break outs!"

MCS February 7, 2019

For Birth Control "OTCL messed me up. Before starting it, I was breaking out a lot. I was suggested OTCL, not only as BC, but also good for acne. I took this pill for a month and had to stop. I see reviews saying the first few months are brutal, but once you’re past it, it’s fine. But honestly, I couldn’t even handle all the side effects anymore. My acne seemed to get worse? I started a full on period after week one - heaviest flow I have ever had in my life, 9 days long, horrible cramps (I normally don’t get cramps). The mood swings - they were terrible. I would randomly just burst into tears over literally nothing. I felt anxious all the time, and whenever I was alone I felt very depressed. This is totally out of character for me! So I tried to tough it out and it only got worse. I finally decided to stop taking it, and wow. The difference is insane. Since the day I stopped I haven’t had any of those symptoms. I truly do not recommended this birth control. It was insanely brutal on my body."

don’tdoit (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2019

For Birth Control "This was the best birth control option! I had debilitating periods before I started. On this pill, my cramps were a piece of cake, some cycles I didn't even get cramps! My breasts grew, skin looked great, no depression, anxiety, or mental health side affects. This is the only birth control that worked for me! Currently on tri-vylibra and I hate it. I think I should be on the Tri-Vylibra Lo but I'm on the bigger dose one (has 0.035 of ethinyl estradiol instead of the Lo that has 0.025mg ethinyl estradiol) and I'm breaking out, TERRIBLE mood swings / depression, boobs didn't grow, and AWFUL nausea my first week or so. I want to go back Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo !!!! I have no idea what I can use instead ;("

deacon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 1, 2019

For Birth Control "My insurance switched me out of Tri-Cyclen Lo (which i was on for almost 3 years) to Tri-Lo-Sprintec and I’ve been taking it for 2 months. HORRIBLE. I noticed a huge shift emotionally and mentally. I’m constantly sad, depressed, I have no energy to do anything. I’m always crying over the smallest things. I usually NEVER write reviews on anything but honestly, I would recommend anyone on this birth control to SWITCH or just stop."

Owl (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2019

For Birth Control "I was on this birth control for 2 years straight in my teens for acne and birth control. Cleared out the acne those two years was pretty great but a lingering side effect was nausea every morning. Got off this BC for 3 years due to financial reasons. Was prescribed this again in April 2018 and the diarrhea and nausea began almost immediately until I stopped using it in November 2018. From that last day no diarrhea and no nausea. Good for bc no scares, but the side effects were awful. Am now on kyleena and it has been great."

SwitchChangeAvoid (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 18, 2018

For Birth Control "Been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo 28 day for 1.5 years & it’s been great! Not a single pregnancy scare, decreased cramps, no nausea, barely any mood swings, overall excellent! HOWEVER, just recently got switched to the GENERIC version, Tricira lo, which was fine for the first 3 months, but as of a month ago, I’ve been recently having terrible brand new symptoms! Never missed a pill and take it at generally the same time every night like I always have! A month ago I started having terrible cramps and got my period a week early (during the active pills) which lasted for two weeks! I have had various panic attacks and find my anxiety to be 10x worse than it was before, not to mention I’ve been feeling nothing like myself lately! Extremely sensitive, crying all the time, very short tempered. A month later, I get my period today, once again during my ACTIVE pills, already accompanied by terrible cramps! Terrible! 7 stars because the real brand generic version is good! BUT THE GENERIC I S rubbish!"

shelboz (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 15, 2018

For Birth Control "This is the worst birth control I have tried by far. Although it cleared my facial acne, my periods became even more painful to a point where I was vomiting. Around the middle of the second pack I started to have mood swings, and now, nearing the end of the third pack, I find myself constantly feeling depressed and on the verge of tears at any time. I can’t sleep, I have headaches, and I don’t feel like myself. I would not recommend this to anyone and am hoping that once I stop taking it I will be able to return to the happy person I was before I started it."

Anon (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 23, 2018

For Birth Control "3-4 months ago, the packaging changed on my Ortho tricyclen lo. Instead of the dial pak, I was given a veridate dispenser pack. I was told by my pharmacist that it was only the package that changed so I continued to take the pill. A month into it, I experienced skin that was oilier than usual. I developed anxiety. I developed severe acne. I called my pharmacy to ask if the Janssen had changed formula.I had every single side effect with brand name ortho tricyclen lo (in the new packaging) that I had with generic. I was called back by pharmacist to be told that it was on back order and weren't sure when I could it again. I called Janssen Pharmacueticals myself to report my experience. I am currently a week into taking a new birth control. The anxiety is starting to subside, but the acne is not going away. I went from clear skin to acne within a month of receiving the Ortho tricyclen lo in the new packaging. Something was clearly different ."

Birthcontrol79 (taken for 10 years or more) October 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been taking this Birth control for 3 months after fighting with my insurance about not wanting the generic because they are different as we all know. I was approved OTCL so I was stoked. Even though OTCL reviews are scary, I'm prone to anxiety, depression and I had not ONE side effect from OTCL. Today I am very upset because according to pharmacists The manufacturer has discontinued Ortho Tri Cyclen LO?Why would the company do this? my insurance and I were paying for this and This is the ONLY birth control that has zero side effects for me I don't know what to do now. After doing extensive research on Tri Lo Sprintec, ALMOST ALL PEOPLE SWITCH BACK TO ORTHO TRI CYCLEN LO BECAUSE OF SIDE EFFECTS FROM TRI LO SPRINTEC OR ANOTHER OTCL GENERIC. I was told that generics have different binders in them (fillers such as sugar amount or other chemicals) that make body absorb medication differently PLEASE BRING BACK OTCL, I hope this is a False alarm and my BC will be back"

rpvmaryam October 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on Ortho Try-Cyclen Lo when I was a teenager and it worked fine. Fast forward a few years and two kids later, I am back on it. However, I've been experiencing mood swings, breast tenderness, and depression. I had no idea what it could be and it had me feeling worse by the week. To add to the problem, I developed hormonal acne, along my jawline. After seeing all these other reviews, I will be changing my birth control. I feel a little better knowing what could be causing these symptoms. I hope this helps someone out too!"

Jackie (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on this birth control starting at age 16 because my period wasn’t regular, which it helped for two years. Then I started having hot flashes, intense mood swings, gained weight, my period wasn’t regular anymore, and I was spotting. Never quite understood what happened so suddenly, but I had to switch and I’m glad I did."

Geez (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 14, 2018

For Birth Control "On month 3 of using the generic brand Tricira. After having baby #2 decided to go back on the pill due to horrible hormonal cystic acne. So far this hasn’t helped my skin at all. I also have constant abdominal pains and never ending migraines. I always notice I feel the worst once starting a new pack. Nausea, bloating etc. I have been taking BC pills for about 20+ years now and I have never experienced all of these issues! Switching asap."

Kmm1985 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2018

For Birth Control "I can’t rave about Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo enough. I’ve been on it for 14 years, never once a scare. I’ve got my hormone changes down so I know what to expect at every point in my pill pack (minimal things, like some nausea in the morning on the first 7 days, easily countered with some crackers before getting up if it gets really bad, which it doesn’t really anymore). I occasionally notice bloating, but this could be due to many other things. No weight gain, no decreased metabolism. I get my period at the same time every time (Tuesday night/Wednesday morning). Clear skin and no cramping. I’m 26 now and am sad that I can no longer afford to be on this medication due to the price increase, and change of insurance. Hopefully generic is the same....... I would love if this name brand medication would come down in price."

Mel (taken for 10 years or more) May 23, 2018

For Birth Control "I am super conflicted about this birth control. I have tried many pills and this is the one pill that I feel "myself" on. Has significantly decreased my acne, anxiety, mood swings, and depression. However, my periods are ~7 days long which kind of sucks. In addition, my appetite is out of control. The first week of the pack is usually okay, but going onto my third week I can gain ~6 pounds just from water weight and increased hunger wanting to eat everything in sight. I don't even remember what it's like to not feel hungry all the time. I will be switching next month in the hopes of gaining back control of my appetite!"

Mar (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 8, 2018

"Before taking this pill I was an extremely positive & happy person. I had killer cramps & I ended up in the ER so I needed them! I started taking the generic of Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo in June 2017 & the first 3 months were ok. I did notice lots of changes in mood & I got easily annoyed but it wasn't drastic; I cried many times over little things. My discharge was a bit thicker, yellowish & had a nasty odor; thought I had infections. One night in February I went to sleep & woke up a completely different person. I had never experienced horrible symptoms of depression in my life. My sex drive vanished, I became so dry & barely had discharge. The thoughts I had never went & I cried myself to sleep for 3 weeks. I finished my pack March 3rd and I've been off since. (was on 8 months) I still don't feel like my happy self but each day I’m getting better & I don't plan on taking again! Everyone reacts differently, but based on my experience I don't recommend!"

Anon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 24, 2018

For Birth Control "I’m 22 and have been taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen for 2 and a half months and it’s been horrible. I know your supposed to wait at least 3 months, but I can’t. I tried to ride this out but I just can’t anymore. I got on it because I have acne and acne medication did not work. I constantly have foggy brain, can’t think, depression, irrational thoughts, horrible headaches, and severe anxiety. My anxiety is so bad now that I start shaking, sweating, nauseous, and feeling faint in some social situations. And my acne is worse. I decided today that I’m done being miserable. I just want to feel like myself again."

llc (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2018

For Birth Control "Okay, so I started taking Ortho Try-Cyclen Lo when I was 15, and I can honestly say that it wasn’t one of the best decisions I’ve ever made in my life. Although it does not clear my acne up entirely, it does reduce it significantly and it makes is less painful and red. The bad thing is that, if you aren’t unable to take it for a month, your acne will reappear pretty bad. It happened to me last month (and a few times before) and it’s really hard to clear up your skin for a while. It might take a while until you see good results, so try to be patient."

Vyl (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Been taking ortho for 1.5 months and the first pack made me have a 3 week period with every pms symptom in existence. My weight has not moved in any way but I still have been getting slightly nauseated in the morning, my breasts hurt and I am feel like I can't get enough water to drink. It makes my mouth dry! I have one more pack of these and after that I am going to decide if I can take these or not"

Fzzy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on Diane-35 for about 4.5 years for poly cystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and acne. Worked AMAZING, clear skin, regular periods, lightened all my dark hair from PCOS. What I didn’t know was that once your acne goes away your supposed to get off of it because it shouldn’t be used as birth control alone. So my doctor prescribed me tri cyclen lo (the generic) and it’s been about 3 months and I hate it. I have so much acne on my back, worse then before. I broke out like crazy on my jawline and chest, and on top of that I have this weird rash on my chest. Friend of mine also said she got a rash on her chest as well from this brand. It only took about 2 weeks for all this to happen and I figured my body was just trying to get used to it but I’m going to be switching to something else, my skin has never been this bad in years. Not other side effects. Just made my skin worse."

Anonymous February 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been on 3 different types of birth control and this one is the best. My acne went away, barely noticeable PMS symptoms and it made my boobs grow a size or 2. I went on it to help my migraines and its definitely helping!! I would recommend this one."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 14, 2018

"I went back on this pill because I felt like I was aggressively emotional and my life revolved around my menstruation cycle. Its my 3rd month back on it, I have break through bleeding almost every day. I've gained 10lbs already. My appetite is insane/never satisfied. Its made me look very puffy on my hips/tum/thighs. I exercise regularly and eat fairly well. I became strict with my diet tracking every single calorie to see if that would help and it hasn't. At night I often find myself agonizing over how insanely hungry I am and I know its this pill! I'm giving it a couple more months but I have a feeling I'll go back off of it. Last time I was on it I was carrying around 30 lbs of extra weight and as soon as I stopped the pill, the lbs literally started to vanishing. My husband laughed at how fast the weight went and now he sees the same struggle I was having as before. This pill makes me feel like a hungry pig and I'm almost at the point where I'd rather be crazy than over weight."

LSPP February 3, 2018

For Birth Control "I switched from alesse to ortho tri-cyclen lo and so far loving this pill! I noticed a significant boost in my mood, generally happier throughout the day as well as my cup size increased. My acne cleared up almost completely and no weight gain. The only bad thing I noticed was slight nausea the first few days after switching brands but it was manageable and went away after a week. I would definitely recommend this pill!"

Jamie7842 January 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been on Ortho Tri cyclen lo for 9 months now and I am switching to another. The first 3 months were a huge wave of mood swings and acne. I gained 10 pounds in just 4 months and on top of that I have never been so prone to yeast infections !!!! I do not recommend this birth control."

hated it (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 3, 2018

For Ovarian Cysts "Horrible! I started using it as a recommendating by my doctor to treat PCOS. My breasts have been swollen since day 2, it's now day 14. I've had cramps, back pain, irritability, random crying fits, emotional out bursts, and now I'm spotting and I'm in so much pain. I also have diarrhea. This medication has been just horrible for me. I've used other birth controls. None have done this to me."

Kat z November 22, 2017