User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo.

Ovarian Cysts 14 reviews 55 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 5 reviews 169 medications

3.9
Summary of Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo reviews 263 reviews 5.4

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

For Birth Control "First month on this I had awful cramps, following I was very moody and I'm normally very positive. Constantly fatigued and stressed. Gained a lot of weight on my stomach and hips, which pissed me off a lot more since I'm working out regularly and eating how I normally do, pretty healthily. Breasts grew bigger. Constantly feel bloated and stomach Area feels sensitive, but at the same time always hungry. I've decided to stop taking it, and am going to search for another option. Simply not worth all the trouble."

Hdosjdnxkaiak July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "First time user of the pill in general. The doctor put me on the lo because I also wanted it to help with acne symptoms as well as general birth control. The first 2 weeks I did not notice any side effects, all was well. The 3rd week I started noticing bloating and weight gain. The weight gain did not stop and I started noticing my appetite sky rocket. I was hungry a lot and often. I started snacking and gaining weight around hips and butt. Not a good feeling. To be clear, I used this for only 2 months, but in those two months I gained a little over 5 pounds and felt bloated and foggy brain. The acne did start to improve after the first month which was nice and my skin was doing great, however, this was not enough incentive for me."

say no (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "It took me a bit to find a birth control that worked for me, but out of them all, tri-cyclen lo was the worst experience. I noticed weight gain in my stomach in the first 2 weeks to the point where my jeans wouldn't fit. I thought to myself that if this is the only problem, I will work with it. I was wrong -over the first 2months I became frustrated over the smallest things, lost motivation to be active, and became depressed that I wouldn't want to see anyone. I would cry myself to sleep not understanding why.. this pill took over my body (emotionally)-I became a different person and everyone in my life noticed it too. Getting off this pill was the best decision I made."

KP20 June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started using birth control about 5 years ago to regulate my periods-at the time I'd had my period for about 4 years already and it never became regular. I was on Lutera 28 which helped protection/regulation wise but gave me vaginal dryness during sex and HORRIBLE, PAINFUL acne. I switched to Ortho Tricyclen and I'm on my third month. The first week of the first pack really amped up my depression and anxiety but by the second week it subsided and haven't had any issues since. I've noticed I also get fatigued the first week every month. No weight gain, acne is starting to go away and hopefully no more dryness but I won't know about that until my boyfriend comes back from being abroad ;)"

asatterwhite (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ovarian Cysts "I didn't know what to classify my condition because its many things. Birth control, acne, horrible periods, anemia, ovarian cysts etc. BC has always made me very very sick to the point where I couldn't take it because of all the vomiting & dizziness. I've tried 5 diff ones & this is the best by far. The first month was rough, very nauseous, felt like I was pregnant again. Slowly improved. Then the second night of every pack for some reason, I'd get sick. But kept hanging in there. My face broke out like CRAZY even worse than usual. I have bad hormonal acne for years. Fast forward 1 yr & now my skin is awesome & periods went from being super heavy for 2 weeks to only like 4 days. Helped with my 24/7 cramps & cysts. Love it. Hang in there!"

Happy after adjusting to it (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm just about finished my first pack of the generic version of tri cyclen lo, I'm on "Tricira lo". At first I was nervous that it wouldn't be the exact same but I looked up the ingredients and they're the exact same and same levels as the name brand. The first week I had really bad hormonal acne along my jaw line and slightly up my face, but after that initial week my face has completely cleared up and looks better than it ever has!!! It's much less oily now so it makes my makeup last all day now!!!! It has not given me headaches and has not effected my moods whatsoever but I have noticed a slight decline in sex drive. Overall I think this is a great birth control if you're looking for low hormone!"

Malbbbb June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Also forgot to mention that my boobs got bigger! I can't tell if I have mood swings because I've always been so moody. No nausea. One time though I had some pain on my leg and I was worried of a DVT so I got it checked out, turns out it was just a pulled muscle--thankfully. So don't get scared of all the horror stories out there. Just be on the look out for dangerous side effects, obviously, but don't be afraid to try it out."

kim90129 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This is my first time using birth control pills, and it was for 2 reasons: preventing pregnancy and reducing forehead acne that always worsened around ovulation. I've been taking Tricira Lo (generic brand) for the past 7 1/2 weeks. Initially, I found myself more tearful, but that settled down after 4 weeks. I had one instance of a headache & nausea during the first 4 weeks; haven't experienced either since. There's been ~5lb weight gain and some increase in breast size (not by a full cup though). I haven't noticed a significant difference in my forehead acne. It's still an issue for me, especially during the 3rd & 4th (placebo) weeks of the pack. I think this may be because hormonal acne more often presents on the cheeks/chin."

Dkapeudbzndvqh June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been on birth control for three years and due to weight gain I changed from Depo to Ortho and it's the worse yet..my period is very heavy and the headaches and nausea are unbearable..I have come to the conclusion that I am just going to stop birth control completely."

Kieosha (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Had no issues on this! No noticeable weight gain or change in mood or anything. Got my period during the placebo week which was nice, because my period was super irregular before (got it anywhere from 28 to 54 days in between cycles). Only once did I start getting my period a day or two before the placebo week, so my OBGYN put me on an extra dose of estrogen pills the next month to balance it out. That seemed to fix it. My acne cleared up a bit too. Only switched off it to get an IUD, but if I was going to stay on an oral BC I would have had no reason to leave this one."

ch40228 May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ovarian Cysts "I'm about to hit my placebo week. So far I haven't really had a good experience. But I'm willing to be patient and see if the side effects subside. I've been bloated, tired, and my skin is at its worse. The only pros so far is I haven't gotten my period every two weeks which is why I started it. I have PCOS and this is made my hair stop falling out. I also take 50 mg of spironolactone. What's bothering me the most is that I'm an extremely active person and this makes me want to sleep all day and eat everything. I'm doing my best to make good choices. I haven't really had any significant weight gain just the feeling of being swollen in the abdomen area from retaining so much water. And my boobs got slightly bigger nothing crazy."

Lo729 April 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This has been my first time on birth control. I never really experienced many symptoms the worst would be the really bad headaches towards the end of my active pills and during the placebo pills. After 7-8 months are when things started to chance I spotted for 11 days; and that had never happened to me. I didn't miss a pill or anything but I still got my period as usual. The following month I did not miss any pills, did all I was suppose to but I missed my period completely. And not on the 9/10th month I have been spotting for the past 3 days (I think due to missing on pill but taking it first thing in the morning and the other at my usual time) but the cramps are horrible. This BC has given me more or a headache than anything"

0987 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been on this birth control for a month with minimal problems. I was on another one before but had to switch due to how emotional it made me. Trycyclen lo balanced my mood out pretty well. I had no spotting but when I got my period cramps were a little harsh. My boobs grew a little bit bigger and became sensitive. I was a little nauseous the first few days of the birth control but that settled itself. My acne cleared up pretty well! Overall a good trusty birth control."

Anonymous April 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on this birth control for almost 2 weeks now, and there have been no negative side effects: no moodiness, no pimples, no weight gain or loss etc. I've also already noticed my skin slightly less pimply (although this might have to do with certain times of the month/hormones, we'll see). If anything I've noticed my mood become more stable and happy. So far so good!"

Rachhhh March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "A pro of this BC is that it helped clear my acene and a fuller breast size. Some cons of this BC is breast tenderness. I'm aware that this is a side effect but when I was off it for the week while on my period my boobs were fine, I recently started my new pack the soreness came back. It changed the length of my cycle . Normally my period lasted 3-4 days , 4 being max but my first period on the BC lasted a full 7 days ... Something I was not fond of. I was also not fond of the two days I experienced spotting as well ( another side effect) hoping this fades after a while."

Phenomenonally Me . March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I posted throughout my 7 month experience. My breakouts never got better and I couldn't take it anymore. As soon as I quit, my face started healing and I'm back to maybe 2 pimples a month, verses 2 new pimples a day. I'm left with smooth red marks, that are slowly fading, and get covered with my makeup. On the other side, I knew when my cycles would start and the pill made me very mellow, which was great, but not worth not wanting to leave my house!"

Took for 7 months (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started this pill with the intent of settling my hormonal acne and it worked WONDERS! My skin is very clear and my periods are right on time and light. However, I am switching to a different pill as a trial because of the emotional side effects this has given me. My mental PMS is much worse and I find myself very depressed often. I've also gained 5-10 pounds and it's harder for me to lose weight, but nothing significant. I've also noticed a slight decrease in sex drive if that's what you're into. However, there are ups and downs to all birth controls, if the next one I try isn't good then I am definitely going back to Ortho Tri-Cyclen lo because it's overall been reliable."

Ellie Winter February 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I am on the generic version of ortho tri-cyclen lo. I've only been on it for one month, but so far I love it. I'm coming off of 5+ years of depo shots, so I know my body hasn't fully gotten rid of the depo yet. For this reason, I still haven't gotten a period on ortho yet. But my mood hasn't changed, I haven't gained weight, and I don't have acne or nausea. I am slightly worried about getting pregnant because of prior reviews where this has happened on ortho, but my husband pulls out as well so I'm hoping we'll be fine. My boobs have gotten bigger, which I love! They are rounder and fuller. They are slightly more tender than usual but not to the point where it hurts. Anyway I haven't been on it long but I wanted to leave a positive review!"

Dev P (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I had tried so many birth controls when I was a teenager and they would make me bleed non stop, if I was on the pill I threw up like I was pregnant.. my body couldn't handle it. I am now 23 and I'm on ortho tri cyclen low and I absolutely love it. I haven't had a problem what so ever!!! My periods are right on time, VERY light bleeding (I use to have a heavy period), no cramping.. just a wonderful experience, I recommend this medication to anyone looking for birth control. I am about to get married and after I finish college we are going to try for a baby so I hope it does me just like it did for one of these ladies, she got pregnant right after she came off. I would recommend it to anyone.. if your having problems... try this birth control."

Hshsbsbdb February 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This pill sucks, I got pregnant while on it."

doris weinstein (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been on this BC for over a year and I have no complaints. No acne, weight gain, or pregnancies. My breasts grew a cup. Periods are lighter. I cramp worse but it's nothing I can't handle. I love it."

Anonymous January 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I took this pill for years...since I was probably 20. Never had any side effects or issues, was very happy with it. Kept a healthy weight (even lost some) and it helped my skin. But ultimately, it didn't do what it was supposed to. Took it like clockwork and got pregnant..."

Anonymous Again January 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This pill has been great! My husband and I married 9 yrs ago and i started taking it just before our wedding. When I've wanted to get pregnant I've stopped it.....pretty well immediately gotten pregnant and then when the baby is about 6 months old (I breastfeed and it's not recommended while breastfeeding) I get back on it. Had 3 kiddos so all in all I've been on this pill for at least 5 years. Only cons I've experienced are a bit of weight gain/harder to lose weight on it. I'm not talking a huge amount but 5-15 lbs. And it's really expensive for me to buy the brand name local so I just get my ob to give me a written prescription and I fax it to an online pharmacy and get it there. Aside from that it's great"

Boodleblue (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I AM SO IN LOVE WITH THIS BC!!! Give it time and it works. I had acne and now it's gone. Also terrible cramps and now I have no cramps whatsoever. I've been using it for about 4 months now. Very happy."

Kyee618 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I guess hormonal BC isnt for me. I switched to OTC Lo after being on Alesse 28 for 3 months. I was beginning to get acne on Alesse and it was impacting my mood. My GP recommended I try this BC because apparently it's good for acne. Well...this Bc made my acne worse. Literally ruined my chin with painful zits and now horrible scars. My depression has gotten worse and my anxiety is through the roof. I have an appetite that is endless and gained so much weight. Also my period happens before the placebo week which is odd. I absolutely hate this pill and wish I never started birth control at all. As far as Birth control it does its job but the side effects are not worth it."

Ajazghidh (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2017