User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 262 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo to treat Birth Control

"Worst birth control I've ever been on. Extreme burning and itching throughout vaginal area, acne and horribly tender breasts."

AllyVu November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It all makes sense after reading some of these reviews. I haven’t been the most active person, but I did gain close to 20 lbs which happened once before on the same medication. I’ve notice my mood being all over the place, rather inpatient and emotional at times. I also get headaches and now lower back pains. I think it’s time to break up with Ortho..."

!????! October 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I’ve been on this birth control for about 4 years and have had a great experience with it. My boobs got a bit larger on it from a B cup to a D, don’t think I gained too much weight, I am very active and have always stayed around the same weight, maybe 5-10 pounds more on it. I am pretty moody even before the pill, but I have noticed my PMS is worse on the pill, but it’s still manageable. Never had a pregnancy scare and me and my boyfriend have unprotected sex the last 3 years. Overall very effective and minimal side effects for me!"

Linds mo (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on OrthoTriCyclenLo for about 3 years. I had to switch off this pill because my insurance didn't cover it anymore and there was no way I'd be paying $109 per pack. I didn't have any bad side effects on this pill. I noticed I gained about 10lbs over the years on this pill, but I wouldn't 100% blame that on the pill, I'd say it's more to do with me not working out and stuffing my face. My boobs grew 3 cup sizes. I was a 36C before, then worked my way up to a 32DDD. My acne cleared up completely and if I ever did get pimples it was always around the same time in the same spot. My periods were 3-5 days and they were very light with little to no cramps. No condoms with bf and never had a pregnancy scare. I would recommend OrthoTriCyclenLo."

Lintendo6444 September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've taken this medication for 11 years and it's the only one that doesn't make me vomit or be bed ridden. The normal dose my body can't handle. It's made my acne go away better then any of the creams they have out there. Having the right dose is really important."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) September 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for acne and for pregnancy prevention. I started it on the first day of my period and experienced nausea for about the first week, gradually getting better as time went on. I am toward the end of my 2nd week of pills and so far, so good. I noticed my skin looks clearer already but my breasts have been ache-y and quite sore, and I have experienced some cramping/side/back pain as well with this. Had unprotected sex my 7th day of the pill (was advised that since I started the pill the first day of my period, it was effective at preventing pregnancy immediately, according to the FDA insert and multiple doctors), so we shall see what happens! No spotting or anything, which was a problem I had on the NuvaRing."

mollykatherine (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this medication for about 2 years now and I absolutely hate it. It worked very well the first couple months (originally went on it for acne) but then it started going down hill. I gained an unbearable amount of weight on my stomach and hips. My moodiness is disastrous to the point where I have can't have a normal conversation with people some days. I get extremely emotional, to the point where I cry over very small things. Not to mention, my appetite has spiked x100. I need to get off this asap. I don't recommend."

Magyar lany August 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is an awful birth control. I was switched to it because my last birth control was very low dose and mainly for my acne, not pregnancy prevention. I am a gym junkie and eat super healthy but still gained so much weight on my hips and stomach. I was so exhausted I would fall asleep driving, and take daily naps - I have never been like that and have always had lots of energy. My face exploded with acne which hasn't happened to me in years. Not to mention I spotted every week before my period. Sometimes two weeks before. Overall this has done me no good. Do not recommend at all."

Brookea (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking the generic form of this medication a month ago. Reading reviews as something that I always do, so I wanted to share my experience. My concerns of starting a birth control pill were no weight gain, no changes in my libido and hoping to clear up my acne. This birth-control pill I believe increased my libido which was amazing. My acne is better, but not completely gone. The reason why am stopping this birth-control is because I cannot control my eating. It's like I have the munchies all day long, we're talking worse than when I was actually pregnant. I work out every day I'm in good shape but over eating will ruin any work out. Another side effect I'm having is I'm incredibly tired. I yawn all day long."

Amy in Austin August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo is probably the best pill I've ever been on and I've tried 7 different pills in the last 4 years! I've been on it for about 3 months so far and I've noticed that I grew up cup size, my skin has cleared up, and thankfully no weight gain or pregnancies. The only downsides are that it's expensive, period cramps are a little more intense, and my sex drive has decreased a tiny bit. Other than that, this pill is great and I definitely recommend it."

Rosieeee August 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First month on this I had awful cramps, following I was very moody and I'm normally very positive. Constantly fatigued and stressed. Gained a lot of weight on my stomach and hips, which pissed me off a lot more since I'm working out regularly and eating how I normally do, pretty healthily. Breasts grew bigger. Constantly feel bloated and stomach Area feels sensitive, but at the same time always hungry. I've decided to stop taking it, and am going to search for another option. Simply not worth all the trouble."

Hdosjdnxkaiak July 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First time user of the pill in general. The doctor put me on the lo because I also wanted it to help with acne symptoms as well as general birth control. The first 2 weeks I did not notice any side effects, all was well. The 3rd week I started noticing bloating and weight gain. The weight gain did not stop and I started noticing my appetite sky rocket. I was hungry a lot and often. I started snacking and gaining weight around hips and butt. Not a good feeling. To be clear, I used this for only 2 months, but in those two months I gained a little over 5 pounds and felt bloated and foggy brain. The acne did start to improve after the first month which was nice and my skin was doing great, however, this was not enough incentive for me."

say no (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It took me a bit to find a birth control that worked for me, but out of them all, tri-cyclen lo was the worst experience. I noticed weight gain in my stomach in the first 2 weeks to the point where my jeans wouldn't fit. I thought to myself that if this is the only problem, I will work with it. I was wrong -over the first 2months I became frustrated over the smallest things, lost motivation to be active, and became depressed that I wouldn't want to see anyone. I would cry myself to sleep not understanding why.. this pill took over my body (emotionally)-I became a different person and everyone in my life noticed it too. Getting off this pill was the best decision I made."

KP20 June 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started using birth control about 5 years ago to regulate my periods-at the time I'd had my period for about 4 years already and it never became regular. I was on Lutera 28 which helped protection/regulation wise but gave me vaginal dryness during sex and HORRIBLE, PAINFUL acne. I switched to Ortho Tricyclen and I'm on my third month. The first week of the first pack really amped up my depression and anxiety but by the second week it subsided and haven't had any issues since. I've noticed I also get fatigued the first week every month. No weight gain, acne is starting to go away and hopefully no more dryness but I won't know about that until my boyfriend comes back from being abroad ;)"

asatterwhite (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm just about finished my first pack of the generic version of tri cyclen lo, I'm on "Tricira lo". At first I was nervous that it wouldn't be the exact same but I looked up the ingredients and they're the exact same and same levels as the name brand. The first week I had really bad hormonal acne along my jaw line and slightly up my face, but after that initial week my face has completely cleared up and looks better than it ever has!!! It's much less oily now so it makes my makeup last all day now!!!! It has not given me headaches and has not effected my moods whatsoever but I have noticed a slight decline in sex drive. Overall I think this is a great birth control if you're looking for low hormone!"

Malbbbb June 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Also forgot to mention that my boobs got bigger! I can't tell if I have mood swings because I've always been so moody. No nausea. One time though I had some pain on my leg and I was worried of a DVT so I got it checked out, turns out it was just a pulled muscle--thankfully. So don't get scared of all the horror stories out there. Just be on the look out for dangerous side effects, obviously, but don't be afraid to try it out."

kim90129 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is my first time using birth control pills, and it was for 2 reasons: preventing pregnancy and reducing forehead acne that always worsened around ovulation. I've been taking Tricira Lo (generic brand) for the past 7 1/2 weeks. Initially, I found myself more tearful, but that settled down after 4 weeks. I had one instance of a headache & nausea during the first 4 weeks; haven't experienced either since. There's been ~5lb weight gain and some increase in breast size (not by a full cup though). I haven't noticed a significant difference in my forehead acne. It's still an issue for me, especially during the 3rd & 4th (placebo) weeks of the pack. I think this may be because hormonal acne more often presents on the cheeks/chin."

Dkapeudbzndvqh June 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on birth control for three years and due to weight gain I changed from Depo to Ortho and it's the worse yet..my period is very heavy and the headaches and nausea are unbearable..I have come to the conclusion that I am just going to stop birth control completely."

Kieosha (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had no issues on this! No noticeable weight gain or change in mood or anything. Got my period during the placebo week which was nice, because my period was super irregular before (got it anywhere from 28 to 54 days in between cycles). Only once did I start getting my period a day or two before the placebo week, so my OBGYN put me on an extra dose of estrogen pills the next month to balance it out. That seemed to fix it. My acne cleared up a bit too. Only switched off it to get an IUD, but if I was going to stay on an oral BC I would have had no reason to leave this one."

ch40228 May 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This has been my first time on birth control. I never really experienced many symptoms the worst would be the really bad headaches towards the end of my active pills and during the placebo pills. After 7-8 months are when things started to chance I spotted for 11 days; and that had never happened to me. I didn't miss a pill or anything but I still got my period as usual. The following month I did not miss any pills, did all I was suppose to but I missed my period completely. And not on the 9/10th month I have been spotting for the past 3 days (I think due to missing on pill but taking it first thing in the morning and the other at my usual time) but the cramps are horrible. This BC has given me more or a headache than anything"

0987 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this birth control for a month with minimal problems. I was on another one before but had to switch due to how emotional it made me. Trycyclen lo balanced my mood out pretty well. I had no spotting but when I got my period cramps were a little harsh. My boobs grew a little bit bigger and became sensitive. I was a little nauseous the first few days of the birth control but that settled itself. My acne cleared up pretty well! Overall a good trusty birth control."

Anonymous April 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this birth control for almost 2 weeks now, and there have been no negative side effects: no moodiness, no pimples, no weight gain or loss etc. I've also already noticed my skin slightly less pimply (although this might have to do with certain times of the month/hormones, we'll see). If anything I've noticed my mood become more stable and happy. So far so good!"

Rachhhh March 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"A pro of this BC is that it helped clear my acene and a fuller breast size. Some cons of this BC is breast tenderness. I'm aware that this is a side effect but when I was off it for the week while on my period my boobs were fine, I recently started my new pack the soreness came back. It changed the length of my cycle . Normally my period lasted 3-4 days , 4 being max but my first period on the BC lasted a full 7 days ... Something I was not fond of. I was also not fond of the two days I experienced spotting as well ( another side effect) hoping this fades after a while."

Phenomenonally Me . March 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I posted throughout my 7 month experience. My breakouts never got better and I couldn't take it anymore. As soon as I quit, my face started healing and I'm back to maybe 2 pimples a month, verses 2 new pimples a day. I'm left with smooth red marks, that are slowly fading, and get covered with my makeup. On the other side, I knew when my cycles would start and the pill made me very mellow, which was great, but not worth not wanting to leave my house!"

Took for 7 months (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this pill with the intent of settling my hormonal acne and it worked WONDERS! My skin is very clear and my periods are right on time and light. However, I am switching to a different pill as a trial because of the emotional side effects this has given me. My mental PMS is much worse and I find myself very depressed often. I've also gained 5-10 pounds and it's harder for me to lose weight, but nothing significant. I've also noticed a slight decrease in sex drive if that's what you're into. However, there are ups and downs to all birth controls, if the next one I try isn't good then I am definitely going back to Ortho Tri-Cyclen lo because it's overall been reliable."

Ellie Winter February 24, 2017