User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 257 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo to treat Birth Control

"I have been on birth control for three years and due to weight gain I changed from Depo to Ortho and it's the worse yet..my period is very heavy and the headaches and nausea are unbearable..I have come to the conclusion that I am just going to stop birth control completely."

Kieosha (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had no issues on this! No noticeable weight gain or change in mood or anything. Got my period during the placebo week which was nice, because my period was super irregular before (got it anywhere from 28 to 54 days in between cycles). Only once did I start getting my period a day or two before the placebo week, so my OBGYN put me on an extra dose of estrogen pills the next month to balance it out. That seemed to fix it. My acne cleared up a bit too. Only switched off it to get an IUD, but if I was going to stay on an oral BC I would have had no reason to leave this one."

ch40228 May 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This has been my first time on birth control. I never really experienced many symptoms the worst would be the really bad headaches towards the end of my active pills and during the placebo pills. After 7-8 months are when things started to chance I spotted for 11 days; and that had never happened to me. I didn't miss a pill or anything but I still got my period as usual. The following month I did not miss any pills, did all I was suppose to but I missed my period completely. And not on the 9/10th month I have been spotting for the past 3 days (I think due to missing on pill but taking it first thing in the morning and the other at my usual time) but the cramps are horrible. This BC has given me more or a headache than anything"

0987 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on this birth control for a month with minimal problems. I was on another one before but had to switch due to how emotional it made me. Trycyclen lo balanced my mood out pretty well. I had no spotting but when I got my period cramps were a little harsh. My boobs grew a little bit bigger and became sensitive. I was a little nauseous the first few days of the birth control but that settled itself. My acne cleared up pretty well! Overall a good trusty birth control."

Anonymous April 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on this birth control for almost 2 weeks now, and there have been no negative side effects: no moodiness, no pimples, no weight gain or loss etc. I've also already noticed my skin slightly less pimply (although this might have to do with certain times of the month/hormones, we'll see). If anything I've noticed my mood become more stable and happy. So far so good!"

Rachhhh March 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"A pro of this BC is that it helped clear my acene and a fuller breast size. Some cons of this BC is breast tenderness. I'm aware that this is a side effect but when I was off it for the week while on my period my boobs were fine, I recently started my new pack the soreness came back. It changed the length of my cycle . Normally my period lasted 3-4 days , 4 being max but my first period on the BC lasted a full 7 days ... Something I was not fond of. I was also not fond of the two days I experienced spotting as well ( another side effect) hoping this fades after a while."

Phenomenonally Me . March 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I posted throughout my 7 month experience. My breakouts never got better and I couldn't take it anymore. As soon as I quit, my face started healing and I'm back to maybe 2 pimples a month, verses 2 new pimples a day. I'm left with smooth red marks, that are slowly fading, and get covered with my makeup. On the other side, I knew when my cycles would start and the pill made me very mellow, which was great, but not worth not wanting to leave my house!"

Took for 7 months (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started this pill with the intent of settling my hormonal acne and it worked WONDERS! My skin is very clear and my periods are right on time and light. However, I am switching to a different pill as a trial because of the emotional side effects this has given me. My mental PMS is much worse and I find myself very depressed often. I've also gained 5-10 pounds and it's harder for me to lose weight, but nothing significant. I've also noticed a slight decrease in sex drive if that's what you're into. However, there are ups and downs to all birth controls, if the next one I try isn't good then I am definitely going back to Ortho Tri-Cyclen lo because it's overall been reliable."

Ellie Winter February 24, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am on the generic version of ortho tri-cyclen lo. I've only been on it for one month, but so far I love it. I'm coming off of 5+ years of depo shots, so I know my body hasn't fully gotten rid of the depo yet. For this reason, I still haven't gotten a period on ortho yet. But my mood hasn't changed, I haven't gained weight, and I don't have acne or nausea. I am slightly worried about getting pregnant because of prior reviews where this has happened on ortho, but my husband pulls out as well so I'm hoping we'll be fine. My boobs have gotten bigger, which I love! They are rounder and fuller. They are slightly more tender than usual but not to the point where it hurts. Anyway I haven't been on it long but I wanted to leave a positive review!"

Dev P (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had tried so many birth controls when I was a teenager and they would make me bleed non stop, if I was on the pill I threw up like I was pregnant.. my body couldn't handle it. I am now 23 and I'm on ortho tri cyclen low and I absolutely love it. I haven't had a problem what so ever!!! My periods are right on time, VERY light bleeding (I use to have a heavy period), no cramping.. just a wonderful experience, I recommend this medication to anyone looking for birth control. I am about to get married and after I finish college we are going to try for a baby so I hope it does me just like it did for one of these ladies, she got pregnant right after she came off. I would recommend it to anyone.. if your having problems... try this birth control."

Hshsbsbdb February 5, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This pill sucks, I got pregnant while on it."

doris weinstein (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on this BC for over a year and I have no complaints. No acne, weight gain, or pregnancies. My breasts grew a cup. Periods are lighter. I cramp worse but it's nothing I can't handle. I love it."

Anonymous January 21, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took this pill for years...since I was probably 20. Never had any side effects or issues, was very happy with it. Kept a healthy weight (even lost some) and it helped my skin. But ultimately, it didn't do what it was supposed to. Took it like clockwork and got pregnant..."

Anonymous Again January 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This pill has been great! My husband and I married 9 yrs ago and i started taking it just before our wedding. When I've wanted to get pregnant I've stopped it.....pretty well immediately gotten pregnant and then when the baby is about 6 months old (I breastfeed and it's not recommended while breastfeeding) I get back on it. Had 3 kiddos so all in all I've been on this pill for at least 5 years. Only cons I've experienced are a bit of weight gain/harder to lose weight on it. I'm not talking a huge amount but 5-15 lbs. And it's really expensive for me to buy the brand name local so I just get my ob to give me a written prescription and I fax it to an online pharmacy and get it there. Aside from that it's great"

Boodleblue (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I AM SO IN LOVE WITH THIS BC!!! Give it time and it works. I had acne and now it's gone. Also terrible cramps and now I have no cramps whatsoever. I've been using it for about 4 months now. Very happy."

Kyee618 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I guess hormonal BC isnt for me. I switched to OTC Lo after being on Alesse 28 for 3 months. I was beginning to get acne on Alesse and it was impacting my mood. My GP recommended I try this BC because apparently it's good for acne. Well...this Bc made my acne worse. Literally ruined my chin with painful zits and now horrible scars. My depression has gotten worse and my anxiety is through the roof. I have an appetite that is endless and gained so much weight. Also my period happens before the placebo week which is odd. I absolutely hate this pill and wish I never started birth control at all. As far as Birth control it does its job but the side effects are not worth it."

Ajazghidh (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I love this pill. Before starting ortho I was on Junel Fe and had two periods per month. One on and off the active pill. With ortho I've had none of that nonsense, no weight gain, no additional moodiness, no loss of sex drive, and relatively good control over my acne. I only see flare ups on the inactive pills. My only complaint would be that it didn't make my period lighter or decrease my symptoms. Overall, love it."

ElenaL January 14, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My Personal Experience. * Effectiveness: It was completely fine. I felt safe using it even with unprotected sex. I never felt the need to use extra protection. * Side effects and how it made me feel emotionally and physically: I did not experience sickness or irritability. However, I did experience weight gain, increase of appetite, and hormonal acne. After a while the acne settled down once my body got use to the hormonal changes. * Insurance coverage: My insurance is United Healthcare. So after the first month that I was on, I had to switch to a generic version, Tri-Sprintec, because they wouldn't cover it. * Pill size: Small. If you don't like taking really small pills, I would suggest taking it with yogurt or pudding"

Dovexx January 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After a month and a half on this, I have experienced a heavy period lasting about 5-6 days. My breasts are not sore but have grown about 4 inches/fuller. No mood changes or negative effects . So far I like this . I'm in my early thirties."

Melowin (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Feb. to Sept. I was on the mini pill just progesterone and during that time I got acne that never went away and I gained 25 pounds with bad mood swings. Prior to that I was on Yasmine for a year which caused my hair to thin out but my doctor was concerned it was giving me really bad headaches. I started Ortho Tri Cyclean Lo 32 days ago and everyday I've had a period which today it seems to be going away. I know it takes up to 90 days for my body to adjust so I'm willing to work through it. The acne has gone away completely, no headaches, no severe mood swings and my hair has stopped falling out. I don't have the food cravings so hopefully I can start to lose the weight. I have noticed my breasts have grown which is fine by me."

KJune December 7, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Natalia W here again, as I said I would review this pill if my period did not stop... I am on day 15 now of my period. It got lighter at day 9-14, where I never wore a tampon however bled when I peed or worked out... Today I woke up, day 15, cramps, heavier bleeding, and wearing a tampon AGAIN. Made an appointment with my Dr to see if this is normal.... I did just start this BC so I hope my body is just regulating... Still no weight gain, no crazy mood swings, no acne.... Just non stop period. Will update with new info if necessary... Still not a bad pill because no weight gain, acne , and my sex drive is still pretty much the same, maybe a tiny bit lowered, but probably because I am constantly on my period."

NataliaWagain November 5, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"GREAT! I have been on this pill since I was 17. I am now almost 22 and no complaints. I originally got on it to regulate my period which it did, and shortened and lightened it too! Less acne. No weight gain. No pregnancies. With my insurance, it is free too!"

Karawill (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 5, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was so scared to go on this pill or any pill for that matter! Read terrible reviews. Did so much research and they all seemed like a bad choice. Decided this seemed like the best bet. Been on it 17 days and I love it. No weight gain, no acne, no hormonal mood swings. My only complaint is I am on day 8 of my period, (when I wasnt on the pill my period was 8 days long too) I thought this would make it shorter. I am hoping today is the last day, if it continues for longer, I will update my review. But so far,so good! I actually lost some weight taking this pill! Happy girl here."

NataliaW October 28, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Out of both birth controls I've tried, (the other being Sprintec) this is my favorite. Although my period still hasn't regulated on it (either 2 weeks late or 2 weeks early) but I guess it's a lot better than bleeding every other week. Being a huge hypochondriac, that's of course the only downfall with this pill. Other than that, I have the same sex drive, I still don't PMS, my acne has gotten better and this is far more accessible than any other birth control here. Side note: although it may have cleared my acne, I believe it may have triggered the psoriasis that appeared on my face. If you have skin problems, be cautious"

HylianDragon October 25, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I first tried this in highschool and had no problems or side effects. It actually really helped me! I no longer suffered from debilitating morning cramps or heavy periods. In college I switched to Mirena IUD. Six months into having the Mirena my face broke out with pimples like I could never have imagined. I tried topical treatments, diet changes, and acne clinic facials. Nothing helped my acne, until I decided to remove the IUD. I'm now back on a brand of Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo. I'm happy with my birth control again. It's doing its job and not giving me any problems - no weight gain or weight loss. I'm working on recovering my skin from acne scars, and I'm so thankful for no more active break-outs!"

Courtesies (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 11, 2016