User Reviews for Microgestin Fe 1.5 / 30

Birth Control

Summary of Microgestin Fe 1.5/30 reviews 5.7 70 reviews

Reviews for Microgestin Fe 1.5/30

For Birth Control "Out of all the pills I tried, this one was one of the WORST ever!!!!! I was on this when I was younger. This pill always had me angry, I cried if anybody looked at me funny, and the last day of my period and first day off it was awful. At least I can say I trusted my dr and gave it a try. My sister and a couple of my friends tried this pill and they said the same things. I will say it helped lighten my periods, no weight gain and no babies. That was the only reason I gave it a 5 rating. It just wasn't the right combination of hormones as far as moods."

Linzee83 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I started this pill about a year ago after my previous pill had me spotting. At first, I really liked this pill. My periods were usually 6 days and heavy and this pill made them 2-3 days and light/nonexistent. I have never been an emotional female, and on this pill... I cry weekly... for no reason. Over the dumbest things. I workout Monday-Friday (running 3-5 miles, elliptical, strength training), count calories and macros and I cannot lose weight. I drink a gallon of water a day and I am so bloated all of the time. I never had this problem before. I also have noticed a decrease in libido, like a lot. I just got married and I was just assuming it was from all the stress, being tired from work, etc. but now that's all over with and I'm still not interested. I came to look if other people have experience similar issues and I'm glad it's not just me. In the process of switching pills or to an IUD."

jlmk (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 24, 2018

For Birth Control "I have NOT had a good experience with microgestin Fe 1.5/30. I am taking to regulate periods. After my new gynecologist suggested I stop the depo shot and start this, I began noticing many negative effects such as weight gain, acne increase, decreased libido, depressed thoughts and MAJOR headaches and migraines! I can’t stress enough how much I’m missing out on doing when these headaches hit. It has made my quality of life decrease an incredible amount. I would not recommend. I would rather be incredibly irregular and never know when to wear lining than take this horrid pill."

PillMeNow (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 6, 2018

For Birth Control "Pros: my period was always on time Cons: abnormal Pap smear (abnormal epithelial cells) I was very worried because I didn’t know what was causing the abnormality. The tests showed Negative HPV, in many cases abnormal epithelial cells appear when HPV is positive. Anyway I decided to stop the pills and months later I went for a pap smear again and everything is ok"

Lulu (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 11, 2018

For Birth Control "Sore breast, depression, anxiety, bleeding between periods."

Anonymous April 22, 2018

For Birth Control "I figured I'd share my experience since I've tried so many birth control pills including this one. This was terrible!! The side effects I had were extreme bloating and water retention. Anytime I'd eat, I felt like my stomach was so distended it would pop! In addition, it caused the worst constipation I've ever had for some reason. No mood changes or breakouts, but the feeling like a whale and serious constipation were not worth it! I moved to this pill from the lower dose Microgestin 1/20 because of spotting. No spotting with this pill but I would take bleeding any day over the other effects! I'm trying Aviane next. I know everyones body is different I definitely don't recommend this pill."

lala2525 April 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been on this pill for about 5 months now. I started taking it to control my acne and of course prevent pregnancy! I didn’t experience any major side effects (nausea, headaches, weight gain, etc) but my boyfriend and I have both noticed that I’ve been extremely moody since I started and I have been more emotional. For the acne, I see no difference at all. It hasn’t made it worse but it also hasn’t gotten better. It has helped my cramps and my period is so light now too! On the first week of the month, I’m usually ALWAYS hungry but now I've learned to control it and just eat how I normally do and drink more water to ease my hunger. I’ve read a lot of reviews that women’s sex drives have decreased on this pill, but I think mine has definitely increased! I’m switching to a new pill because I’ve been struggling with acne for years now and this wasn’t doing the job. I love this pill, just not as satisfied as I wish I could have been (acne wise)."

anon March 4, 2018

For Birth Control "While on this b/c pill, my "periods" were never during the week off allowing for withdrawal bleeding. I would spot usually opaque brown mess while I was taking the daily pill. Rarely ever would I see red period blood. I was changed to this higher dosage to prevent aforesaid "breakthrough bleeding" that I experienced more frequent with the loestrin 1/20 fe. I enjoyed a lower dose of estrogen compared to other pills I've used, such as ortho cyclen and tricyclen. This lower dose helped with my mood and outlook on life. I'm planning on talking to my Gyn about IUD possibilities since they have a much lower dose of hormones, exclude estrogen completely, and localize solely in the uterus, not the entire blood stream. In conclusion, one of the best daily b/c pills I've used. If that's what you're looking for, give this a try!"

Sherbee4 February 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on this in the past for a year and had no problems with it. I stopped taking it for a year, then recently got back on the 1/20 to help with acne. In the 6 months that I took 1/20, I had my period every two weeks, with extreme mood swings around the time of my period. I’ve struggled with anxiety and depression since adolescence and this does NOT help. No real weight gain. My acne didn’t change much and I am using Epiduo as prescribed by my derm. Due to having two periods a month, I went back to my gyno and she prescribed me the 1.5/30. I’ve been on it for 2.5 weeks, I have already had a period and I have the worst breakout I’ve had since I was 15 (I’m 24). Shockingly, I haven’t had much issue with the mood swings, but I’ve been insatiably hungry. After reading others’ experiences with this pill, I’m throwing the rest of my pack away! The acne is not worth it."

Bea1993 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 9, 2018

For Birth Control "This birth control is horrible. I have been on multiple pills since I was 14 for abnormal and painful bleeding. I've been on sprintec, Kariva, and a few generics for both of those, as well as Azurette. I switched from Azurette to this pill because I thought it was increasing my feelings of depression and anxiety. This pill is making me so miserable; I cry every single day, my hair falls out when I run my fingers through it, my skin is really oily and I'm getting acne which I've never had in my life. This is horrible. Maybe it's just the amount of estrogen in these pills and my body just is not having it, I don't know, but I hate this pill and I refuse to keep taking it."

brookie6596563 November 27, 2017

For Birth Control "It was horrible. The headaches were never ending and It made me so hungry! Ive been off if it for 2 months now. Just got an the Liletta IUD put in last month and its seriously like night and day. I'm so happy I got off the pill. I'm not crazy hungry anymore and my headaches are gone!"

Anonymous November 2, 2017

For Birth Control "I am getting married in a few months and at my last GYN appt I discussed not wanting to be on my period during my honeymoon and if I had any options to avoid that total buzz kill. So, I began taking Microgestin 1.5/30. In the first 10 days of taking it I broke out in severe acne that included cysts, I became so moody that it can only accurately be described as a bipolar roller coaster, and I started spotting. After 10 days I quit taking this medication. I have taken several types of birth control pills in the past and have never has side effects like I did while on this pill. The only reason I didn't rate it lower than a 2 is because it could have done its job and prevented pregnancy but I didn't take it long enough to find out."

Heather from New Orleans October 12, 2017

For Birth Control "I have had a great experience with Microgestin. After a year of taking the 1/30 Mirogestin, I started regularly breakthrough bleeding. My gyno increased it to the 1.5 and it works really well! My libido is about 50% less than what it was before but I'm okay with that. Highly recommend."

Love it! October 5, 2017

For Birth Control "I started using microgestin because Aygestin and Ethinyl Estradiol just wasn't working. For the first couple of months everything was good. Around month 5, I slowly started to have mood swings. Sometimes I cried for the smallest things. Then I started to get depressed. Not too long ago I noticed certain pants started to feel a little tight when I put them on. I completely have NO SEX DRIVE. My boyfriend doesn't understand what I'm going through. I just about done with this medication."

I Don't Know What To Do (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 18, 2017

For Birth Control "I'm 29 & I was originally on Gildess & I loved it! Suddenly my pharmacy gave me this new pill. Bleh. They told me it was exactly the same but something wasn't right. For some reason Microgestin gave me insane headaches. At first I was like, ok. 1 or 2 headaches every other week is fine. But then it went to 3x a week, then 4x a week! Suddenly I had a throbbing headache that was literally with me for 2 weeks! I thought maybe at first it was my ventriculoperitoneal (vp) brain shunt malfunctioning but I got it checked & it was fine! Then I did some research & found that this bc can cause crazy amounts of headaches. I am so so done with this bc. It's now been a 1.5 weeks since I've been off it & guess what, no headache! Getting an IUD On my next cycle."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 14, 2017

For Birth Control "I was on Microgestin Fe 1/20 for three months prior to this, I switched because I was getting my period every two weeks. So I switched and I'm so glad I did. Period is completely regulated out again like it was before I started birth control. No weight gain (actually weight loss), no mood swings, no change in libido. Worst parts of this were feeling nauseous for the first three days I was on it (nausea went away after), one pimple, and cramps the first day of my period. Overall, the pros outweigh the cons by miles, so I would recommend this to anyone!"

B11 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2017

For Birth Control "Was on this pill for three months. Just recently decided to switch. Start new BC today. Anyways Microgestin Fe made me breakout bad. My forehead and chin that's why I decided to switch. I never really breakout and it bothered me so much. But other than that the pill made my period very light and few to no cramps. It did its job, prevented pregnancy. & Did cause some mood swings. Caught myself crying in time to time. And I feel like the pill made me gain little weight."

Xo M (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2017

For Birth Control "I decided to take birth control just in case I decided to become active in the future. I wanted to start taking the pill before the school year to see how it would impact me and to get adjusted. At first, my acne flared up more than usual. Once I got my period, I experienced horrid and uncomfortable cramps one of the first days, that I had to call out of work for being sick (I was crawling, crying and threw up once). The period lasted about 2 weeks. I've had slightly bipolar moods before but once taking this pill, the moods were extremely hot and cold. For two hours I would be angry and then I would experience happiness for a bit, just to go into another anger/sadness. Depression was worse with bad thoughts. I'm stopping the pill now."

This pill is sad July 29, 2017

For Birth Control "Got on Microgestin 1.5/30 after getting married (had sex with husband before we were married, but wanted to start birth control to eliminate condoms or pulling out for him). PERIOD: I had a short but consistent & heavy period beforehand, and now it's VERY light or non existent in the off week. Didn't get pregnant so overall effective. MOOD/LIBIDO: the hard part is being able to determine if my mood, weight gain, what feels like depression (never have experienced depression before), and decreased libido (LEAST cool) have been primarily due to the pill, of my life change/transition. Looked here today due to my first acne spike (2 huge pimples a day on face &chin) since starting to see if this has caused acne for others."

MTWT June 29, 2017

For Birth Control "I hate this pill. Been taking it for 1 year and went to the doctor to switch yesterday In the past year I've gained almost 30 pounds which I CANNOT seem to drop regardless of how hard I try to eat well and work out. I've always been health conscience so I'm baffled at this weight gain. When addressing it with my Male doctor yesterday he basically laughed in my face saying it's absolutely not the pill... I'm also experiencing daily anxiety where I shake and sweat for no reason. I haven't had a good night sleep in months. My mood is usually negative and I want to cry all the time. I was switched to another pill. But I'm considering Miena because the doctor said it's directly inserted in your uterus so the rest of your body is not receiving."

Erica teacher June 27, 2017

For Birth Control "I have been on this pill for almost 5 months already. I am a 19 year old and I went on it because my periods were irregular (and I wanted to become active) but now after 5 months it isn't worth it. I wasn't depressed before the pill but now I am, and I have anxiety attacks at least once every week and lil' fits of crying and terrible, horrible thoughts happen every now and then. Granted, for the first 3 months I was taking it wrong. I had the 21 day supply, and after I finished the pack, I wouldn't wait the 7 days before you start the next one, and I would immediately start the next one. My acne has also never been this bad, I have constant breakouts in one area no matter how great I treat my skin."

Meg H June 20, 2017

For Menstrual Disorders "I was given a prescription to this type of birth control after another was not strong enough. This type of birth control was awful for my body though. Even though my period synced up with no breakthrough bleeding, I was losing lots of hair and growing dark hair in places that I never have before- chest, chin, etc. There were no other stressors that could have caused this as I was out of school for summer. I wanted to stay on it for 3 months, but I saw that My hair was becoming very thin. I got off of this quickly after a little over 3 months"

Floridagirl10 May 9, 2017

For Birth Control "I started on this pill 5 years ago (at age 20) due to extremely painful cramps that prohibited me from attending class. 5 years later and I still love it! I went off it once for a few months at one point to see if the pill had caused weight gain; it hadn't. I do not get acne outbreaks, I've only had a handful of times where I had to take two due to forgetting the day before, and have overall had a positive experience from this pill. Libido has decreased a bit but that's the cost you pay to not get pregnant.. My cramps are significantly less, perhaps every other month I do feel some pain but it's manageable by over the counter meds, which before was not possible. I'll likely stay on this until starting a family/make the IUD switch"

Bruins0804 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 4, 2017

For Menstrual Disorders "I was prescribed this to help alleviate my PMDD (severe depression associated with my hormones fluctuating around my menstrual cycle) and extreme menstrual cramps. I am at the end of week three of my first pack and the whole experience has been horrific. CLOSELY MONITOR YOURSELF when taking this if you have a history of depression and anxiety. I've been crying several times a day and have slept a full night in two weeks. I've felt more suicidal than I have in years and came close to checking myself into the hospital because my lows have been so severe. After talking to my SO today, it was confirmed that my mood has been greatly altered since beginning this medication. I have cramps everyday and am bleeding sooner and longer than normal."

keeptryingkitten (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2017

For Birth Control "I started taking 1.5/30 about 18 months ago. I actually have lost weight on the pill, but can be a result of other lifestyle variables. I enjoy the light period and my cramps are little to none. I have not gotten pregnant. My libido has significantly decreased which is a bummer. My blood pressure has slightly increased. I also have gingivitis which I never had before. I don't get headaches or mood swings. I would describe my mood as neutral most days. I sometimes feel light headed when I stand up from sitting and once almost passed out from one alcoholic drink. I know my review sounds mixed, but it's doing it's job: controlling birth."

Nbiel89 March 20, 2017