User Reviews for Microgestin 1 / 20

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Microgestin 1/20.

Birth Control
6.8

Summary of Microgestin 1/20 reviews 6.8 49 reviews

Reviews for Microgestin 1/20

For Birth Control "Been on the pill for about 9 months. Only the first month had side effects. Since then, my mental health has finally stabilized. I have had severely unstable moods since I was 9. I also had premenstural dysphoric disorder and extreme cramping. Since taking the pill, my whole life has improved and I'm able to accomplish things such as going to a regular school full time. Now my period only lasts 3 days, and my sex drive is still there :)."

Littgstar (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "My new doctor put me on this birth control to try to ease my ovarian pain and severe cramping. After only a week of taking it my skin became extremely oily, when I normally have dry skin, and my skin began to break out. It made me bleed non-stop and didn't help with any of my PMS symptoms, if anything it made them worse. I've tried several other birth controls and this might be the worst one."

madi121 October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Just thought I'd add another review for this pill. I'm on week 6 of microgestin and it seems to be working fine. I haven't had any extreme side effects so far. I was pretty moody a couple weeks ago, experienced some light bleeding for a couple of days, and my face has broken out- but not too badly. Overall it seems to be working just fine and the side effects are manageable. My period is usually very regular and I haven't gotten it yet since starting the pill- but then again, my periods are always very light and only last about 3 days anyway."

ladybug290 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Severe acne, low sex drive, vaginal dryness, extreme nausea and vomiting at the start of each pack, turned me into a raging psycho most of the time (literally felt like a different person on this pill, it was amazing getting off this and feeling like a cloud of anger and anxiety had been lifted off my shoulders). But the real kicker was when I started experiencing random shooting pain on my right front thigh, followed by right leg numbness. Fast forward a few more weeks and both legs started going numb and I got shooting pain that would travel up to my chest and arms. Doctors couldn't determine what was going on exactly (my BP was normal) but advised me to get off the pill, which I gladly did. Craziest BC experience of my life by far"

Mae R (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been taking microgestin for about a year and a half now, and it just recently occurred to me that the pill is the reason for my mental decline. When I first started the pill things were fine I didn't have any abnormal side effects except for the slight, almost unnoticeable weight gain. Looking back, I've noticed a gradual yet severe change in my mood and happiness. It wasn't until a year and a half later I realized the pill was the reason for this. I sobbed to my mom one night and she explained that the pill did that to her too. After speaking with my gyno the next day, she assured me the progestin in Microgestin was the reason for my depression. I switched to Aviane and feel much much better."

jenniferjjjj (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This birth control is awful. I've been on microgestin for almost two months now and I have nothing good to say about it. My anxiety is through the roof (I'm not generally an anxious person), I'm super moody (I'm normally a happy person), I'm extremely bloated 24/7 (I look 6 months pregnant), my hair keeps falling out, I'm nauseous, I just got over my period a week ago and now I have breakthrough bleeding (heavy bleeding), I already have horrid period cramps from PCOS but these microgestin cramps are almost unbearable. Seriously, just don't try this bc..."

AshleyMK June 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been taking this birth control since March of 2017 and it's worked great for me so far. No pregnancies, no side affects. I absolutely love it. I still get my period during the placebo week but my cramps are way more manageable, and my period is super light and only last 2-3 days, when before it was 4-5 days and horrible horrible cramps. I've always had clear skin but I do notice that the first two weeks of a new pack, my skin is glowing! Towards the last week of the active pills I get my regular period about to start pimples. Sometimes I notice a slight increased irritability but I can't completely attribute that to just this birth control. I've had horrible mood swings on a past medication and haven't gotten even an ounce of that."

Tiff tiff ali (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on this pill for a year to treat PCOS. My periods were very irregular and I experienced spotting and a low sex drive for first three months after starting. Then I was having normal 3-4 day periods every other month. I also had trouble with nausea and an upset stomach but it subsided after a week or so. I continued to workout and eat somewhat healthy and I was still able to lose weight. My only complaint was that after starting the pill, my skin got very sensitive to the chlorine in the pool."

HeroicMoose (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on this pill for about 3 months and haven't had any issues.I am wondering about my sex drive though but I am not sure yet if its the pill or work stress because I have a lot of that. My periods are shorter and lighter and as long as I eat when I take it I don't experience any stomach issues. Everyone's body is different and just because someone had a bad experience doesn't mean you will. I don't have issues with anxiety or depression. Those who experience that already may have an increase of those symptoms. Pills don't make you gain weight food does. If your appetite has increased on it practice some discipline and eat less. I exercise regularly and have not gained weight."

Ms. Hbrad (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on this birth control for almost two months now, and it's been perfect! I started taking Mononessa in October, and it caused me to bleed for about sixty days straight - no good. I also noticed that my emotions were way out of whack, I was basically a trainwreck. When I switched over to Microgestin, not only did I stop bleeding within a week, but I feel more mentally balanced, too. I haven't experienced any side effects. I'm very happy with it, and plan to continue using it."

Gsimons January 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "My experience has been horrible. I have taken Loestrin brand for years and I have never had breakthrough bleeding with other BCs until now. I am halfway through my 3rd pack and I came back on a week after my cycle stopped. I am extremely heavy and it's worst than my normal period. I am going back to the doctor this week."

Dee112 January 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been on Microgestin for 4 months now and I hate it. I have not found a birth control yet that doesn't screw up my period which I use to be able to count on every 30th or so of the month. This is my 3rd birth control. Mood swings, depression, sadness, lower sex drive, increase appetite and oh yeah a whole lot of bleeding. My period is completely out of wack. I tried to skip ONE period. Well it worked. But then out of no where I bled for 19 days straight (not light bleeding either). I don't know what to do! My body hates birth control. My mom said that it was like that for her as well. Not sure what to try next."

C.C. Snoops December 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Endometriosis "I started my first pack October 1st, two mn ago. Since then I've been on my period on & off the last six of the eight weeks. Spoting on the days I were suppose to get my period but living with full blown endo all eight weeks. This by far is the worse birth control I've ever taken. Side effect out this world. First it was the cramping, then the headaches, then chronic fatigue even after food. What made it strange is the horrible mood swings making a monster. (Literaly) My emotions were gone, all I felt was anger & numbness. I had no idea it was the birth control until my OB informed me yesterday that generic brands are made in other countries, made with god-knows-what. So today was put on a name brand birth control. We shall see!"

Ashlynneeat December 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This is my first time in 12 years being on the pill. I originally stopped taking birth control because I would get such bad headaches. -I'm currently finishing up my first month. I can honestly say the only complaint I have is the break through bleeding and random cramps which started 2 1/2 weeks in. While I've read it is normal due to hormones changing& your body getting used to it, it is VERY inconvenient! It's been consistent & heavy enough that I have to wear tampons. I've read this can happen for the next few months-great, so not looking forward to non stop bleeding! -I did notice slightly fuller breasts.... Well at least my left one haha! -I've noticed I have more energy. -Slightly irritable at times"

SBD123789 November 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was prescribed Mirogestin after experiencing prolonged abnormal bleeding. I've not been on birth control for over a decade and I have to say I hate this drug! Three weeks in and I am miserable. I don't want to continue taking it at all, I can't do this for 3 months. Here is my experience: I started taking the pill while on my cycle, as directed by my Ob-Gyn and on the last day of my cycle as the flow was lessening it suddenly got heavier and I spent five days dealing with extremely heavy flow (every 60-90mins) Then it stopped for 2 days and then started again. Sore lower back and abdomen constantly. Increased appetite. Fatigue. Emotional. Advil is a constant, without it I'd be a wreck!"

Kazz1234 November 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "i lost all vision in my left eye for 2 days. side effects are serious"

js20 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I tried Microgestin 1/20 for a month. I had originally had Mirena (which I loved and had no issues whatsoever, but had it removed because my husband kept complaining incessantly about being poked by the strings). I noticed after a week of taking it I felt incredibly sad. I couldn't enjoy much of anything. This was a drastic change to how I was feeling just a week ago. As the pack wore on, it only got worse. My entire family noticed a drastic difference in my mood. I'm definitely going to attribute it to this birth control because once I stopped taking it I was fine and back to my normal self. Not sure why doctors don't warn you about these side effects. Thanks, Big Pharma!"

VTours (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I don't really know how to feel about this pill. My doctor switched me over from tri privefem because I got very bad migraines. I still do suffer pretty bad headaches but less severe and less often. I also had no issue with my period (lasts around 3 days and is fairly light) it's also helped a lot with cramps. I did break out a little but I'm not sure if that was from the pill or stress from starting a new job. I also gained a little weight but again, that may be my lifestyle (not always eating right and exercising). One thing this pill did do it prevent me from getting pregnant because my sex drive has been so low I haven't been able to have sex!"

Fjaofickanc (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "The only bad side effect I have is very lightlight nausea after taking the pill, other than that I have had a very pleasant experience with the pill and do not plan on switching"

Trina1234 August 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm taking it for a regular birth control and I'm just fine.. I haven't had any crazy mood swings, no weird cravings, and my acne is actually clearing up. It all depends on your body and how your body takes it, like I said I'm just fine!"

higs August 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Like other reviews said, you won't take the time to post a review if you're happy with it but I am. After switching from bc to bc this one finally worked on me. I went from having extremely heavy periods, pelvic pain, and not being able to stand up to a medium to light period the first month. Pain meds finally worked on me to remove the pain unlike before."

Em19 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Stopped my period after the first pack and then after a month after not taking anything. Never experienced that with other birth control pills. Not going to take them again. The doctor no nothing about the pills they prescribed. Disappointed."

osenka0603 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on this pill for about a month now. I've been bleeding since the first day I started it. I'm now up to my placebo pills which I'm just going to take. I'm hoping my body adjusts soon because the bleeding/spotting is quite aggravating. I've been moody, but I'm a generally moody person and would have to wait it out to say it's the pill doing it. My appetite has actually decreased, which is something I wasn't expecting at all. Other than the bleeding, no complaints on this pill this far."

Melissax July 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Been taking Microgestin for three months. (Had to get off Levora because of seriously chronic nausea)The first month on Microgestin I was just a couple hours late taking a pill and bled almost immediately. Second and third months haven't missed a pill and my periods have been almost nonexistent. Super scary on month two but really an appreciated bonus I hope continues."

JTRz July 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was on Microgestin for 5 months. Although it solved my original problem of severe cramping (what I thought was ovarian cysts), Microgestin had many side effects for me. I experienced nausea right before periods, depression, anxiety, and extreme mood swings. I was sleeping a lot during the day which caused me to not sleep at night. I am switching to Trinessa and hope it fixes these problems."

jjj900 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2016