User Reviews for Microgestin 1 / 20

Learn more about Microgestin 1/20.

Endometriosis 4 reviews 166 medications

Menstrual Disorders 4 reviews 71 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 2 reviews 168 medications

Summary of Microgestin 1/20 reviews 45 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Microgestin 1/20

For Birth Control "I don't really know how to feel about this pill. My doctor switched me over from tri privefem because I got very bad migraines. I still do suffer pretty bad headaches but less severe and less often. I also had no issue with my period (lasts around 3 days and is fairly light) it's also helped a lot with cramps. I did break out a little but I'm not sure if that was from the pill or stress from starting a new job. I also gained a little weight but again, that may be my lifestyle (not always eating right and exercising). One thing this pill did do it prevent me from getting pregnant because my sex drive has been so low I haven't been able to have sex!"

Fjaofickanc (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2016

For Birth Control "The only bad side effect I have is very lightlight nausea after taking the pill, other than that I have had a very pleasant experience with the pill and do not plan on switching"

Trina1234 August 10, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm taking it for a regular birth control and I'm just fine.. I haven't had any crazy mood swings, no weird cravings, and my acne is actually clearing up. It all depends on your body and how your body takes it, like I said I'm just fine!"

higs August 5, 2016

For Birth Control "Like other reviews said, you won't take the time to post a review if you're happy with it but I am. After switching from bc to bc this one finally worked on me. I went from having extremely heavy periods, pelvic pain, and not being able to stand up to a medium to light period the first month. Pain meds finally worked on me to remove the pain unlike before."

Em19 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Stopped my period after the first pack and then after a month after not taking anything. Never experienced that with other birth control pills. Not going to take them again. The doctor no nothing about the pills they prescribed. Disappointed."

osenka0603 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on this pill for about a month now. I've been bleeding since the first day I started it. I'm now up to my placebo pills which I'm just going to take. I'm hoping my body adjusts soon because the bleeding/spotting is quite aggravating. I've been moody, but I'm a generally moody person and would have to wait it out to say it's the pill doing it. My appetite has actually decreased, which is something I wasn't expecting at all. Other than the bleeding, no complaints on this pill this far."

Melissax July 25, 2016

For Birth Control "Been taking Microgestin for three months. (Had to get off Levora because of seriously chronic nausea)The first month on Microgestin I was just a couple hours late taking a pill and bled almost immediately. Second and third months haven't missed a pill and my periods have been almost nonexistent. Super scary on month two but really an appreciated bonus I hope continues."

JTRz July 19, 2016

For Birth Control "I was on Microgestin for 5 months. Although it solved my original problem of severe cramping (what I thought was ovarian cysts), Microgestin had many side effects for me. I experienced nausea right before periods, depression, anxiety, and extreme mood swings. I was sleeping a lot during the day which caused me to not sleep at night. I am switching to Trinessa and hope it fixes these problems."

jjj900 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2016

For Menstrual Disorders "I've been taking this pill for two months now and have been bleeding for the last 28 days, and this is with already skipping the sugar pills. Can't imagine if I actually had let my body have a period. The doctor said give it three months, I'm waiting. I have cramps every day, motrin is like a daily routine now day and night. Has anyone experienced this?"

Your buddy April 23, 2016

For Birth Control "I am in my 30s. I do not take any other medications. I do not smoke or drink. I have anxiety. This birth control ruined my life. My anxiety went through the roof. I couldn't leave the house. My husband was getting frustrated but we communicate well so while he was skeptical he saw the side effects. The enhanced anxiety was nuts! Our anniversary was ruined by me not being able to go into the hotel/casino, sitting in the truck, shaking and throwing up. The hot and cold flashes were unbearable. I couldn't cuddle with my husband and I would go outside to cool off (Thank god we live in the Rocky Mountains) in the snow. Debilitating migraines, nausea, vomiting, etc. I switched to OrthoTri Cyclen Lo :) and my husband is getting a vasectomy."

BamsMom (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 9, 2016

For Birth Control "I wanted to write this review because I read many negative reviews and do not want people to think birth control is a horrible thing. Everyone's body is different so the reactions to the pill will be different- it is not a one size fits all type of deal. Additionally, it is best to stay on birth control for at least 3 months before switching over. Some people only stay on it for a month or two before switching because they are not happy with the side effects but do not realize they disappear over time. I've only been on the pill for over a month but overall I am very satisfied with the results. I did experience back pain, breakouts, breast tenderness, and headaches but it went away. My period is shorter and cramps are way less painful."

SaintNick8822 January 18, 2016

For Birth Control "Awful Birth Control - If your doctor has prescribed this to you, please ask them to reconsider because it truly shouldn't even be on the market. Spotting, nausea, headaches, weight gain, are all a few side effects."

MehnazS123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2016

For Birth Control "I wanted to write something as I'm in the process of researching new birth control (I have underlying high blood pressure and smoke, so the pill may not be the best long term birth control option for me) and I found that there's not a lot of good info out there comparing methods. Most reviews seem to be people complaining, because who's going to take the time to write something when they're happy? Well, I want to. I've been on microgestin for over a yr and it's been great. My acne is much improved on it, I've actually lost weight in this time, I haven't had any spotting. My libido is still high and I haven't had issues with arousal. I miss my period sometimes but I think that's from using this continuously so often to skip it. No pregnancy!"

Jackie0294 January 10, 2016

For Endometriosis "The first 2 months I took this pill I wanted OFF and a new OB. I had horrible side effects from nausea to paranoid anxiety. I've now been on it for 6 months and love it. I have no side effects, no periods (continuous use) and I have endometriosis and NO cramping! It's a literal miracle. I have had a 10lb weight gain, but I have also recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and have stopped working out where as before I attended Zumba weekly to bi-weekly. I don't know what to attribute it to for sure but I would say maintaining your weigh would not be difficult even if it was the pill. If you're googling because you were just put on it and are freaking out, I suggest pushing through. This has worked miracles for me!"

Anonymous January 2, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been taking microgestin fe for 3 months now. The first two there were no really bad side effects except some acne and heavy flow with nasty cramps that I was assured would go away by month three....ABSOLUTELY NOT. Month three has been the worst.....I break out all the time when I never used to get pimples, I feel nauseous and pukey all day every day, no food sounds or tastes good, I have back pain and lower abdominal pain, I'm bloated and swollen, and I've gained almost 8 pounds!!! This is absolutely miserable"

Meg2495 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2015

For Birth Control "This medicine is awful. I originally started taking it for stomach cramps and regulating my period and I wish I never started taking it in the first place. I was on the second week of my third pack and felt AWFUL. Not only was I nauseous 24/7 I got headaches, cramps in my upper and lower back, side pains, chest pains. As well as a intolerance to gluten. At first I thought my stomach problem was from eating fast food but as I think about it I was nauseous the first month of taking this pill and it steadily got worse. I'm on my 2nd week off the pill and I'm going through serious side effects of my body trying to regulate itself. I've lost 6 pounds & my appetite. DO NOT take this pill."

Cydneyrockfor November 15, 2015

For Birth Control "I recently started this pill almost a month ago to prevent pregnancy. I am almost finished with the first pack and anxious to see what my period will be like. As for side effects, I have been very emotional and irritable at times. I used to be on a different medicine for acne but once I started this pill i stopped taking the other medicine and now I have whiteheads everywhere, which is opposite from what i usually get. I also have been very constipated and have had alot of gas although I havent gained any weight. Overall I dont know if I would recommend this pill due to all of the side effects that I have already experienced."

Rebecca95 November 10, 2015

For Birth Control "Took it for a year and although I loved it in the begining (lost weight, no acne), after about 6 months I realized I was feeling sad, tired, with no energy or no sex drive at all. Also experienced hair loss and nausea. Going off now and will try something else."

JuAP (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 24, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had a very positive experience with microgestin. I started using it about 6 months ago, and it was my first time on birth control. It helped to clear up my acne and made my periods much lighter and shorter (from 7 days to only 2 or 3). I did not experience any weight gain or nausea. The only negative side effects I had were that I was a bit more emotional than usually in the first two weeks of use, and that for a few months, I would have a bit of light spotting leading up to my period. Overall, it has been a really great birth control and had very few side effects."

Norma10001 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2015

For Birth Control "(First month went particularly well, I didn't recognize any symptoms. I felt 100% myself. I was so afraid it was going to trigger my anxiety (I have GAD) but it hasn't! I love microgestin so far. My first "off week" when I got my period was very different. I usually have a heavy to normal flow that last 5 days, but I had a very light flow that lasted the whole week. It stopped once I started the pill on Sunday. I am now three days into my second month, and I haven't noticed anything new. I feel great!"

Lily B May 6, 2015

For Birth Control "My biggest fear with bc pills was the weight gain - I can assure you now that this does not happen & is somewhat of a myth. I'm married, been on this pill for about two plus years & haven't had any scares or issues. I get a little nausea when starting a new pack so I always take at night (my only real hang up). Never emotional, super light and predictable periods. Very happy."

S.M. (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 17, 2015

For Endometriosis "I have been on this for almost two years and I am so glad that I am on it! I gained zero weight (I actually lost weight), I am not moody, my skin is smooth and clear, the periods are SO much better! I only get a little bit of a flow and the cramps are minimal. I actually barely get a period anymore, but my GYN said it was normal."

AnastasiaAlexis (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2015

For Birth Control "I was 23 when I started this birth control. It was my first time using it and I was terribly afraid of getting pregnant while on this. Surprisingly after almost a year of using it and turning 24, I haven't gotten pregnant, my skin looks the best it's ever looked and my periods are finally regular. there is some heavy spotting that comes unpredictably and heavy cramping at times but it works and if you have insurance it should be free. i take it at the same time every day. i used a condom the first month so my body could get used to it."

kim1990 November 28, 2014

For Menstrual Disorders "I have been on this birth control for over a year, and I have not had any complaints so far! This was my first birth control that I had ever taken and it is a life saver! I had the worst periods with aweful cramps and a heavy flow, but now I barely get periods and the pain that comes when I do have a period is very tolerable and minimal. I did not gain any weight since I started the birth control, and in fact, it helped me lose weight. I do not get any acne while on this pill, nor do I get any severe mood swings."

AnnaAlexis November 7, 2014

For Menstrual Disorders "I take birth control for my severe PMS symptoms, and this is easily the best I've tried. After a few days of very mild nausea in the beginning, Microgestin 1/20 has given me no noticeable side effects besides going up a full cup size. If anything, I've lost weight (including the three pounds I gained on my previous birth control), have had no breakouts or spotting, and cramps so mild that for the first time in a long time, I didn't need to take any pain medication. Plus, the low dose means no significant increase in breast cancer risk. I'd recommend this BC to anyone."

randombee (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2014