User Reviews for Microgestin 1 / 20 to treat Birth Control

Microgestin 1 / 20 has an average rating of 6.3 out of 10 from a total of 71 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 46% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 32% reported a negative effect.

Microgestin 1/20 Rating Summary

6.3/10 average rating

Compare all 278 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Microgestin 1 / 20

Jazmyn · Taken for less than 1 month October 10, 2019

“This is my first birth control experience and I would have to say that this medication makes me want to never try birth control ever again. I have endometriosis and I was put on this pill just to alleviate that pain and improve my cycle. The day I began taking it I fell into a deep depression where I just could only feel numb. (I am always a happy person with no history of depression.) I was crying all day or just feeling like there was nothing to live for. This also made me go in to fits of rage where I would lash out on people for no reason. My anxiety peaked and I could only be anxious at night so I wasn't sleeping either. This continued for about a week and I couldn't take it anymore, so I just stopped taking it as a whole. Overall, a horrible experience and I would not recommend this to first time users.”

Mae R · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2017

“Severe acne, low sex drive, vaginal dryness, extreme nausea and vomiting at the start of each pack, turned me into a raging psycho most of the time (literally felt like a different person on this pill, it was amazing getting off this and feeling like a cloud of anger and anxiety had been lifted off my shoulders). But the real kicker was when I started experiencing random shooting pain on my right front thigh, followed by right leg numbness. Fast forward a few more weeks and both legs started going numb and I got shooting pain that would travel up to my chest and arms. Doctors couldn't determine what was going on exactly (my BP was normal) but advised me to get off the pill, which I gladly did. Craziest BC experience of my life by far”

Tenieisa · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2019

“I would not recommend microgestin 1/20. I was prescribed this because I have very heavy periods and am very anemic. I have been bleeding for 13 days. I feel like having my uterus removed!! Once I am done with this pack I am never taking it again!!!”

Jackie0294 January 10, 2016

“I wanted to write something as I'm in the process of researching new birth control (I have underlying high blood pressure and smoke, so the pill may not be the best long term birth control option for me) and I found that there's not a lot of good info out there comparing methods. Most reviews seem to be people complaining, because who's going to take the time to write something when they're happy? Well, I want to. I've been on microgestin for over a yr and it's been great. My acne is much improved on it, I've actually lost weight in this time, I haven't had any spotting. My libido is still high and I haven't had issues with arousal. I miss my period sometimes but I think that's from using this continuously so often to skip it. No pregnancy!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2012

“I've been on this pill for 4 months now. It was my first ever so I was really nervous! While taking it everything was normal no side effects which was a plus! Before the pill my period was for 5-6 days and on the pill it was only 2-3 days which was great! In my 3rd and 4th month I was spotting A LOT! On top of that I was getting my period which was a pain! No weight gain and acne, my sex drive increased.”

Nicolette B · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 28, 2014

“I was on this birth control for almost 10 years...it was very effective at preventing pregnancy, even though I missed it a few times and there weren't any crazy noticeable side effects like weight gain, nausea, headaches, etc. I think because I was on it for so long, I didn't realize the side effects until I went off of it...once I stopped, I felt like a completely different and better person...my sex drive went through the roof and I realized how much it had suppressed my sex drive this whole time. I also found a huge sense of peace and was able to let go of things much easier I felt like a cloud of depression was lifted. When I tried to go back on it, it made me really irritable and I had to stop. ”

Peri · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 24, 2019

“This pill has been great for my forever long, heavy, peri menopausal periods. I’ve been taking them for over a year (started them at age 46) and other than making my breasts tender I have no complaints. My very light period shows up every couple of months and lasts about three days. Doctor said this was normal for low dose pills. I’m hoping to be able to take these until I hit menopause. I sleep better and am much more pleasant to be around.”

Lily B May 6, 2015

“(First month went particularly well, I didn't recognize any symptoms. I felt 100% myself. I was so afraid it was going to trigger my anxiety (I have GAD) but it hasn't! I love microgestin so far. My first "off week" when I got my period was very different. I usually have a heavy to normal flow that last 5 days, but I had a very light flow that lasted the whole week. It stopped once I started the pill on Sunday. I am now three days into my second month, and I haven't noticed anything new. I feel great!”

S.M. · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 17, 2015

“My biggest fear with bc pills was the weight gain - I can assure you now that this does not happen & is somewhat of a myth. I'm married, been on this pill for about two plus years & haven't had any scares or issues. I get a little nausea when starting a new pack so I always take at night (my only real hang up). Never emotional, super light and predictable periods. Very happy.”

candylandy · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 10, 2019

“I dont like this Microgestin 1/20 birth control at all. Since taking this med, my acne has gotten so bad. It doesn't make my face oily, but I am getting so much acne around my jawline and down my neck which is new for me. My skin just feels so gross! My boobs are also constantly swollen. I lack energy. I've been depressed. I haven't been myself! So happy that I finally realized it was this birth control, because I will never take this stuff again! Awful!!!”

Izzy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 13, 2019

“I got on this pill Microgestin 1/20 so I wouldn’t have periods, as I was basically bedridden during that time of the month. I missed one pill in June and took one pill 6 hours late a month later in July. It is mid August and I have been spotting with cramps for a little over two months. I have absolutely no sex drive. It’s completely disappeared and that’s hard for me as I am in a long term relationship with my boyfriend. I love him so much and want to be intimate with him, but I just have zero libido for it. I also feel like I’m crazy. My emotions have been all out of whack. I’m either sad, angry, or numb. My last birth control lowered my sex drive and made my emotions funky sometimes but it was NOTHING compared to this. Would not recommend to my worst enemy. I give it a 2 out of 10 because I’m not pregnant which is the ONLY upside.”

Anonymous22 January 26, 2014

“I was on a different birth control beforehand and I had every side effect possible, so my doctor switched me to Microgestin and I'm so glad she did! I haven't had a single side effect since being on the pill! I used to get terrible cramps and even after taking the pill for a month the cramps were completely gone. The only thing that happened was that my breasts got bigger, which I'm not complaining about!”

kim1990 November 28, 2014

“I was 23 when I started this birth control. It was my first time using it and I was terribly afraid of getting pregnant while on this. Surprisingly after almost a year of using it and turning 24, I haven't gotten pregnant, my skin looks the best it's ever looked and my periods are finally regular. there is some heavy spotting that comes unpredictably and heavy cramping at times but it works and if you have insurance it should be free. i take it at the same time every day. i used a condom the first month so my body could get used to it.”

Ms. Hbrad · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 18, 2017

“I've been on this pill for about 3 months and haven't had any issues.I am wondering about my sex drive though but I am not sure yet if its the pill or work stress because I have a lot of that. My periods are shorter and lighter and as long as I eat when I take it I don't experience any stomach issues. Everyone's body is different and just because someone had a bad experience doesn't mean you will. I don't have issues with anxiety or depression. Those who experience that already may have an increase of those symptoms. Pills don't make you gain weight food does. If your appetite has increased on it practice some discipline and eat less. I exercise regularly and have not gained weight.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2014

“I switched to Microgestin after I could no longer afford Lo Loestrin Fe. I didn't get my period or have any bad side effects while on Lo Loestrin Fe so I was worried that I would when I switched. Thankfully no side effects or period.”

AgentG November 14, 2019

“I started on Microgestin 1/20 2 months ago to treat menstrual migraines that were sending me to the hospital. I have always suffered with cramps during my period to the point where I would break out in a sweat and faint from the pain. I was bed ridden for days on end and also experienced heavy periods that required a new pad every 2 hours. I had not been on any other birth control pills in years and I notice a difference the first month taking them. I did not experience any sort of negative side effects aside from increased appetite which I don't mind. My cramps are virtually gone, my pain level is basically non existant aside from a bit of dull ache for an hour or 2 at the beginning of my cycle. Breast tenderness is gone and my periods are so light I would call it spotting that lasts 4 days or so. I haven't been taking this medication very long but it's done wonders for me. I recommend them highly for anyone experiencing what I have mentioned above.”

Norma10001 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 15, 2015

“I have had a very positive experience with microgestin. I started using it about 6 months ago, and it was my first time on birth control. It helped to clear up my acne and made my periods much lighter and shorter (from 7 days to only 2 or 3). I did not experience any weight gain or nausea. The only negative side effects I had were that I was a bit more emotional than usually in the first two weeks of use, and that for a few months, I would have a bit of light spotting leading up to my period. Overall, it has been a really great birth control and had very few side effects.”

Mange · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 25, 2019

“I have lost 11lbs in 2 months, my period has gotten back on track and my skin has cleared. I don't know if this is a common side effect, but within 5-10 minutes of take my dose of 1 pill I immediately have to urinate. My appetite has decreased while taking this medicine, which has contributed to my recent weight loss. I have cystic acne around my under breast area and on my face cheeks, this medicine has cleared all of this acne. My period is back to once a month for 5-7 days, before I would skip 2-3 months at a time and would only spot for a day or two.”

anonymous May 6, 2013

“I've been on Microgestin for about a year now. My OBGYN said it would be best if I took it continously, so that's exactly how I've been taking it. I take it consecutively for 3 months and then I take a break for week. Ladies, I haven't had a period in over year and although it sounds scary believe me it is totally fine. Zero nasty side effects like headaches, cramping, long periods, moodiness, etc. The only thing is lowered libido but hey, after all there is no perfect pill that won't have any side effects! Good luck with this medication.”

higs August 5, 2016

“I'm taking it for a regular birth control and I'm just fine.. I haven't had any crazy mood swings, no weird cravings, and my acne is actually clearing up. It all depends on your body and how your body takes it, like I said I'm just fine!”

Tiff tiff ali · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 1, 2017

“I've been taking this birth control since March of 2017 and it's worked great for me so far. No pregnancies, no side affects. I absolutely love it. I still get my period during the placebo week but my cramps are way more manageable, and my period is super light and only last 2-3 days, when before it was 4-5 days and horrible horrible cramps. I've always had clear skin but I do notice that the first two weeks of a new pack, my skin is glowing! Towards the last week of the active pills I get my regular period about to start pimples. Sometimes I notice a slight increased irritability but I can't completely attribute that to just this birth control. I've had horrible mood swings on a past medication and haven't gotten even an ounce of that.”

AshleyMK June 1, 2017

“This birth control is awful. I've been on microgestin for almost two months now and I have nothing good to say about it. My anxiety is through the roof (I'm not generally an anxious person), I'm super moody (I'm normally a happy person), I'm extremely bloated 24/7 (I look 6 months pregnant), my hair keeps falling out, I'm nauseous, I just got over my period a week ago and now I have breakthrough bleeding (heavy bleeding), I already have horrid period cramps from PCOS but these microgestin cramps are almost unbearable. Seriously, just don't try this bc...”

SaintNick8822 January 18, 2016

“I wanted to write this review because I read many negative reviews and do not want people to think birth control is a horrible thing. Everyone's body is different so the reactions to the pill will be different- it is not a one size fits all type of deal. Additionally, it is best to stay on birth control for at least 3 months before switching over. Some people only stay on it for a month or two before switching because they are not happy with the side effects but do not realize they disappear over time. I've only been on the pill for over a month but overall I am very satisfied with the results. I did experience back pain, breakouts, breast tenderness, and headaches but it went away. My period is shorter and cramps are way less painful.”

G · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 28, 2018

“I was on this for over a year in that time I gained weight became so stiff in my legs and arms. I was sore all the time had abdominal pain all the time. My Doctor said it was due to a cyst or my pain was something else. I was having chest pains and left arm pain for weeks. I went to a new doctor. He stopped the meds immediately and sent me for an EKG. I don't drink, I don't smoke and am 37 years old and this medicine is poison. I have been off of it for two weeks I feel great I've lost 12 pounds in just water retention I don't feel tight...no more arm pain or chest pain! I feel so good”

Missaraianna · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 2, 2020

“Have endometriosis and took microgestin 1/20 continuously for no periods. Haven’t gotten my period since but experienced extreme moodiness and slight depression the first 4 months. Spotted everyday for 5 months as well, with slight cramping... I took it like a champ cause most birth control will cause this. It’s been 6 months now and all the side effects went away and I’m perfectly normal and happy now with no periods.”

More about Microgestin 1 / 20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone)

Other brands