User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone to treat Endometriosis

Also known as: Junel Fe 1/20, Lo Loestrin Fe, Taytulla, Blisovi Fe 1/20, Blisovi 24 Fe, Junel Fe 24, Microgestin Fe 1/20, femhrt, Loestrin 21 1/20, Junel Fe 1.5/30, Loestrin Fe 1/20, Loestrin Fe 1.5/30, Nortrel 1/35, Loestrin 24 Fe, Microgestin 1.5/30, Alyacen 1/35, Larin Fe 1/20, Larin 24 Fe, Ortho-Novum 7/7/7, Aurovela Fe 1/20, Fyavolv, Briellyn, Dasetta, Dasetta 1/35, Mibelas 24 Fe, Hailey Fe 1/20, Minastrin 24 Fe, Cyclafem 1/35, Brevicon, Jinteli, Necon 7/7/7, Microgestin 1/20, Leena, Junel 1.5/30, Nortrel 0.5/35, Junel 1/20, Zenchent, Aurovela Fe 1.5/30, Tilia Fe, Lomedia 24 Fe, Larin Fe 1.5/30, Vyfemla, Larin 1/20, Blisovi Fe 1.5/30, Layolis Fe, Generess Fe, Gildess 24 Fe, Hailey 24 Fe, Wera, Wymzya Fe, Pirmella 7/7/7, Pirmella 1/35, Cyclafem 7/7/7, Gildess Fe 1.5/30, Norinyl 1+35, Gildess Fe 1/20, Loestrin 21 1.5/30, Necon 0.5/35, Estrostep Fe, Tarina Fe 1/20, Microgestin Fe 1.5/30, Nortrel 7/7/7, Aranelle, Zenchent Fe, Balziva, Femcon Fe, Nylia 7/7/7, Cyonanz, Nylia 1/35, Aurovela 24 Fe, Aurovela 1/20, Tarina 24 Fe, Leribane, Aurovela 1.5/30, Cyclafem 0.5/35 Kaitlib Fe Tri-Legest Gildagia Tri-Legest Fe Dasetta 7/7/7 Philith Hailey 1.5/30 Hailey Fe 1.5/30 Nexesta Fe Alyacen 7/7/7 Gildess 1.5/30 Melodetta 24 Fe Gildess 1/20 Charlotte 24 Fe Larin 1.5/30 Finzala Chabelina Fe …show all brand names

Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 76 medications used in the treatment of Endometriosis.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone

Asia · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2020

“I am taking this for endometriosis I had the hysterectomy with removal of uterous and cervix and tubes it's day 2 , I had a headache and light cramping was told to take this to stop the growth I have read other reviews and hope this works with no more symptoms I will came back and give full review after my 3 months.”

Dogmom123 · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 29, 2020

“Love it. I have severe endometriosis as well as a blood clotting disorder so finding birth control options isn’t quite as easy. I’ve tried numerous birth control options including the IUD and nothing’s worked as great as norethindrone. I haven’t had my period since starting it and it’s helped HEAVILY with the endometriosis. Initial side effects are intense as your emotions are like you're pregnant. One minute I’d be happy then crying for literally no reason. That only lasted for a couple weeks. I am starting to experience minor cramping again Once every couple months since the endo is growing back but it’s not nearly as bad as it would be without it.”

KES September 10, 2019

Tri-Legest (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): “I've been on Tri-Legest for many years, maybe 10 years. I had very inconsistent, long, very heavy flow periods when I was a teenager and went on the pill for that reason, though this was not that pill. I switched a few times because of mood effect, weight gain, etc. With TriLegest I had 8 good years with a consistent, light and not too painful period. I moved out of the country and where I live I cannot get it, so I was off Trilegest for about 2-3 months and on some generic horrible Colombian pill that made me feel absolutely crazy, so I went off the pill completely. Also, I started to have terrible cramping on one side and pain during sex. I was able to get a new prescription when I visited the states and started it after about 4 months total of being off it but the pain persisted and got worse and then a week ago I had an endometrial ablation...”

Skye · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 16, 2019

“Junel 1.5/30 taken continuously lets me live a pain-free life without any periods with no side effects. I've been on Junel roughly 5 years total. There was a 3 year gap of trying other hormonal birth control, but came back and settled on Junel. I started on Junel 1/20 at age 14 to treat severe cramping, and it worked very well. Went from excruciating pain to a mosquito bite pain. Bleeding was very light and brown, which my doctor said was normal. Started taking it continuously (no placebo weeks). Had some mild breakthrough bleeding/cramping, but it disappeared when the dosage was upped to 1.5/30. Tried other hormonal birth controls because I had trouble remembering to take a pill everyday, but the ring/shot had bad side effects for me, and other pills didn't treat the pain as well as Junel did. AFAIK (As far as I know) I have no side effects. No weight gain or depression. I've tried taking breaks from the pill to see if anything would change, but all I noticed was that the pain came back.”

MadHater June 5, 2019

“I was on Loesterin for 7 days and I had to stop taking it. Loesterin made me so dizzy, and it got worse each day. I couldn't function. I do not know if it is a side effect that will go away. Loesterin gave me a much smaller appetite and no weight gain. I lost 2 lbs in 3 days because I did not feel hungry, at all. My breasts did not swell or get tender. I did have a mild - moderate headache almost the entire. I got no acne from it, my sex drive was beyond non existent the entire week, and my vagina was a little irritated. My mood was not disrupted and my emotions stayed in check while on it. I am not on birth control for pregnancy prevention, I have endometriosis and have to take a combination birth control pill with no breaks in order to keep severe pelvic pain and extremely bad menstrual cramps away.”

Junkette August 7, 2018

“I've been taking this medication for 1 and a half weeks. My MD told me not to expect any results until after a full month but I've noticed dramatic improvement immediately. My endometriosis had come back after having a laparoscopy 7 years ago which isn't unusual. I was planning on going straight for another surgery but my MD convinced me to try this birth control first. So far I am extremely happy. I was at the point where I was in so much pain I could barely eat or work. I am going to be taking this medication continuously and if all goes well I will probably get the Lupron shot. Based on all of the reviews I was very afraid to try this medication so I just wanted to post that it's working for me and its working fast. Either way, give it a try if rx'd...I'm wondering if some of the problems people are having with the meds are actually just symptoms caused by the endo.”

Gapeach July 18, 2018

“I've been on the microgestin Fe 1.5/30 21 day pack for over 2 yrs now. I love it-- no periods-- ever, helped with my endometriosis pains, less headaches, little to no acne, the only negative I have is my sex drive being practically gone. But with all the rest being uber positive I could care less about the sex part.”

Gracie July 16, 2018

“Treated for heavy painful periods with cramping in between. Never wanted to use birth control, I don’t like the idea of putting hormones in my body. Starting 2nd week of 2nd month of Larin Fe 1/20. It seems like most of those experiencing bad side effects are switching over from a different pill maybe that’s a contributing factor. Being my first experience with birth control so far I am loving it. No pain between periods, lighter less painful periods. Only side effects I have had are mini mood swings. 3 times so far where I’ll get upset over stupid things but the bad moods do not last very long. No weight gain, I lost 2lbs. I’ve read some women complain about hair loss but mine has gotten thicker and grown 2-3 inches. No acne yet either. So far I am very happy with my experience. I was very wary due to the reviews but this was all my insurance would cover so I took a risk and I’m glad I did because so far so good. I’ll be back after the initial 3 months to review again.”

knt31979 · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2018

“Loestrin 24 FE has been awful. I started because of endometriosis and ovarian cysts. This is the worst pill ever. I haven’t been on birth control pills for many years. My OBGYN started me on this. Since I started, I have not stopped bleeding. This is day 24 bleeding, not spotting, bleeding. My iron isn’t affected because I take Iron tablets daily. This pill is the worst. The bleeding and the cramping and other side effects (back pain, bloating, mood swings). This pill is horrible. I’m going to my OBGYN this week to get switched. I’m done with this pill. I’ve read a lot of reviews of this pill and I’m glad I’m not the only one going through this. Horrible. Imagine bleeding for 23 days. I’m close to loosing my freaking my mind. It’s been an effective birth control method BECAUSE I haven’t stopped bleeding therefore we can’t have sex.”

Nik · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2018

“I am on day 9 of Taytulla and am already experiencing side effects. It is to be expected though. I haven't been on BC in years and was having some extreme hormonal issues. Anxious, depressed, painful periods. I am taking it for my Endometriosis specifically. I started getting migraines about day 5 and it has progressively gotten worse. I vomited last night and cannot handle any type of heavy food. I have the chills, seeing spots and am extremely sensitive to light. My stool has been soft as well. But my skin looks great and I do not feel anxious or depressed as of now. I've been treating my migraines and dizziness with a cold cloth on my eyes and relax in a quiet dark room at night instead of indulging in technology. I will report back if I see progress or not, but I am going to give it a solid three months. I will be taking Taytulla straight through, no sugar pills to prevent a period. Give your experience time because everyone is completely different and your body needs to adjust.”

Squishsquish · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2018

“I started taking Microgestin Fe 1/20 last year to help control endometriosis with great results! Less daily pain, more regular periods that aren’t as heavy, and no mood swings/nausea. The huge downside for myself personally is the weight gain. I’ve gone from my normal 140 to about 161lb in less than 6 months even through exercising and dieting. If it weren’t controlling my pain and the lesions from endometriosis I wouldn’t be taking this BC.”

Mamaturtle · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2018

“Lo estrin FEwas prescribed to me to treat my endometriosis. I have only ever used the nuva ring long term but it caused cyclic headaches after a few years. I'm on my second week of this pill and my face is one giant rash with several blemishes and I had amazing skin before. I have a constant headache and every night when I lay down for bed I get extremely nauseous and my stomach aches and I have cramps in my low back and I'm not even on my period.. I'd rather deal with the horrible periods and endometriosis than this junk.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2017

“I've been taking Taytulla for six days now and for the last 3 I've had HORRIBLE menstrual cramps - worse than when I actually have a period. I called my doc today and asked for something else.”

bspez · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2017

“I was put on this medication for my endometriosis that I was diagnosed with and I took it for 36 days.. on the last day I took it I had a full blown panic attack that has now lasted for 8 days. I can not sleep, I can hardly eat, and whats worse is that I can not feel anything I am completely numb. Can anyone tell me how long it took them to start feeling back to normal?”

Artemisiac · Taken for less than 1 month January 28, 2017

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): “First, I want to say how terribly saddened I am to see the comments from so many women about endometriosis and taking birth control pills to "cure" it. It goes to show how severely inadequate and ignorant our health care system is when it comes to women and this debilitating disease. Birth control does not fix endo. It does not cure it. The ONLY treatment that has a chance of curing endo is expert excision surgery by a skilled surgeon. Laparoscopy is just a diagnostic tool. Not a treatment. Birth control can help some of the symptoms for some women. But it does nothing to actually fix it. Please ladies, ask questions, research your disease. Most doctors still don't know the basics of endo, which is frightening!”

Yoga doc December 11, 2016

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): “I have stage 4 endometriosis. I have been taking lo loestrin 26 for one month. I am miserable. Bleeding almost every day, weight gain, swelling over my entire body, terrible nausea and diarrhea, and unmanageable exhasution. I am a physician and trying to avoid a second excision surgery and the terrible periods with adenomyosis, but these side effects make me feel worse than before. I can barely function except for work. I skipped the placebo pills and to no avail, I am still bleeding. Time to call the surgeon's office. So disappointed with this drug,”

Alex9999997 December 9, 2016

“Worst birth control I have ever taken. I've been on samples of Lo lo estrin FE for a year and a half, and it was great but so expensive. Got prescribed this and I hate it. I originally went on birth control for terrible cramps, vomiting, and really heavy periods. This birth control brought those all back, and worse.”

Ashlynneeat December 2, 2016

Microgestin 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): “I started my first pack October 1st, two mn ago. Since then I've been on my period on & off the last six of the eight weeks. Spoting on the days I were suppose to get my period but living with full blown endo all eight weeks. This by far is the worse birth control I've ever taken. Side effect out this world. First it was the cramping, then the headaches, then chronic fatigue even after food. What made it strange is the horrible mood swings making a monster. (Literaly) My emotions were gone, all I felt was anger & numbness. I had no idea it was the birth control until my OB informed me yesterday that generic brands are made in other countries, made with god-knows-what. So today was put on a name brand birth control. We shall see!”

endowarrior52 November 25, 2016

“I've been on this pill for 2 months and so far so good. I was diagnosed via laparoscopy with endo almost 3 months ago and had one of the worst cases my doctor has ever seen in her 30+ years of practice. I did not want to go on Lupron so my doctor suggested this. I have had almost no pain so it's been great! My only complaints is that I do get random spotting for 2-3 days every month (hopefully that'll stop as I continue the medicine) and my acne is HORRIBLE. I'm breaking out all over my lower face, my neck, chest, back, even on my forearms and earlobes. I would obviously rather treat my endo then my acne but I hope it clears up soon! For endo, however, this pill is great.”

Greta123 November 11, 2016

“I have tried over 15 different birth controls, each with different terrible side effects. Eventually I had surgery for a uterine tumor and endometriosis, and the surgeon suggested LoLo. No acne, very little bleeding (unless i forget to take a pill), no unsual body changes or emotional outbursts or anything, and no more tumors, endometriosis, or ovarian cysts. I've been on it for 4 years now without pain. I think it lowers my sex drive and makes me a little sleepier/less active than usual, but its worth it to live pain free. My doctor has had to continue to fight to get my insurance to cover it, but they usually cover at least part of it.”

AP120906 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 1, 2016

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): “My doctor started me on Microgestin over a year ago to control my endometriosis symptoms. So far, it has helped completely with the irregular bleeding I was experiencing. I still have pain, so it hasn't 100% helped with that aspect. One side effect that almost made me stop altogether was the breast tenderness. I do notice that I get a small amount of acne at times. I have suffered with migraines for 17 years and I honestly feel that this medicine brings them on or makes them worse. I have recorded 21 migraines in less than a year so am currently considering switching to another method of birth control.”

Endogal October 19, 2016

“I had a horrible experience on this pill, within 30is minutes of taking in I started laughing for no apparent reason, then I started getting really angry and yelled at my mom then started crying. That kept going back and forth for 3 hours till my head started hurting and I felt really sick which is when the suicidal thoughts kicked in. (I have no mental illness- I've been tested but I have issues with estrogen) I got my first migraine in years on this pill and didn't take another dose. The mental stuff all went down but the headache lasted a week and I couldn't stop sleeping. I was told to wait a month by my gyn but the symptoms were too severe with the first dose so I didn't take anymore.”

Tash16 October 18, 2016

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): “I've been put on loestrin 20 now for so far 3weeks I've two days left of the first pack! My experience already has mostly been positive I've had less cramping after my last period as I started it on the first day of cycle, I'm able too go too the bathroom more frequently as I would have got backed up at certain times in the month with m.c and ovulation.y breasts have filled out lol I'm only a size 8 and have a small bust and my skin has cleared on my face. I do suffer with endo and my doctor put me on this as a last resort basically. I've spotted throughout the month but I did anyways so don't know if I can blame it on this. She did advise me that diff positions-during intecourse can help & not flare the endo up which bothered me.”

Kat7 October 13, 2016

“I have been on this birth control for 2 months now as was prescribed to me. My Dr. Put me on it after my surgery for Endometriosis... The birth control was to regulate my period so my painful & continual periods would cease... Well it ceased the constant cramps and I dont take the sugar pills and skip having my period altogether. I have no libedo, which is not normal. I never gain weight, I've gained 11lbs. I just read a ton of the other reviews and am surprised no one is having this one symptom I have... I am cometely numb to feelings... others - family, friends & my husband say I've acting way different and cold towards them... Its like I have no feeling of love, anger, or sadness! So I am getting off of it and I do not reccomend it”

Morgan_16 August 25, 2016

“This medication seemed to be working fine for me in the first couple of weeks. As time went on I noticed I started to get the red, deep and very painful breakouts on my forehead again I hadn't had these in years. My skin has not been this bad in a very long time and in just about a month it made it much worse. Would not reccomend! If you've battled with acne in your past you better expect it to come back while on this pill or get acne you have never had before. Will not be continuing.”

Learn more about Endometriosis

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)