User Reviews for Xulane to treat Birth Control

Xulane has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 398 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 43% of those users who reviewed Xulane reported a positive effect, while 30% reported a negative effect.

Xulane Rating Summary

5.9/10 average rating

Compare all 267 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Xulane

oliviaJ07 May 24, 2021

“So I've decided to give Xulane a chance after my friend suggested it. My insurance covered it and I was able to get 3 pack which equals 3 months. I actually was able to do everything on the app Nurx. Anyway back to Xulane. 2 weeks today. But my first week was interesting trying to get used to the patch and all. I was a little paranoid it would come off because I wasn't used to it. But after an intense work out and long shower it didn't move or lift I got excited. So far... no symptoms, no mood swings, no bloating, no spotting, no weight gain, no changes in sex drive, acne has cleared up. I've tried the patch and implant and this is by far the best! If your reading this and your unsure I totally recommend the Xulane patch! I keep mine on my lower abdomen and I put a clear nexcare tegaderm on top of my patch (last up to 7days no issue) to secure it and give me a peace of mind, it doesn't move, lift, wrinkle and I took a bath and it still didn't budge. So far so good!”

Kayle W May 13, 2021

“Best birth control ever!!! Works very well I haven’t had issues with it yet .No side effects only slight stomach ache my first week”

DarbyGirl · Taken for less than 1 month April 4, 2021

“I had a awful experience with this patch. I started to use it last month. In 3 days I felt something very wrong. At first I thought it was a stomach virus. My head was spinning. Then I got really nauseated and puked for like 5 hours. Had to sleep it off. So I thought it was a stomach virus, but I took the patch off just in case. I decided to wait until yesterday when I started my period again to give it one more try. I was fine all day yesterday, then today I began to get a slight headache then I got woozy again.. Tried to just pull through the nausea. Soon as I got to work, puked all over the parking lot when I got out of my car. I just can't do it. I took the patch off and threw it down cause that will be the last time I give it a try. My body is just rejecting it for some reason. I was getting like a bile build up. I have been burping all day both times I tried it. My head is still spinning. It is just not for me.”

Ghen · Taken for less than 1 month June 29, 2020

“I was on the patch for a month and a half. I don’t even know how to explain my experience. I was on the pill for 4 years so I’ve dealt with hormone changes, etc. but my body started rejecting itself as soon as I started the patch. When I would change the patch every 7 days, that night. I would sleep in the bathroom and throw up for hours. I had migraines everyday that would make me nauseas. And my body overall just did not feel right. I was so fatigued. The day I took the patch off it was 3am and I was sleeping on the floor next to a trash can because it was a “new patch” day. As soon as I took it off I felt so much better. My body never reacted this way with anything before. Now I’m afraid to use any contraceptive ever again. It messed me up bad. It’s been about 2 weeks since I’ve taken it off. I thought I knew my body but there’s something VERY WRONG about this patch.”

Rina · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 10, 2020

“I've currently been on the patch for 1 year now, after switching from the nexplanon implant, and I really like it. No spotting or bleeding in between periods, no weight gain, no mood swings, no problems with the patch falling off, no pregnancy scares, my periods are lighter & more predictable, etc. But I do notice I will get headaches & slight nausea when I change patches, but it is bearable. I definitely don't plan on changing birth control methods anytime soon, Xulane works pretty good for me.”

Drakes Baby June 9, 2020

“I was on the patch for 3 weeks and every day I was EXTREMELY nauseous, my breasts were extremely tender & swollen. I already struggle with migraines and I had a consistent migraine while on this patch. I also was extremely tired and fatigued daily and also had mood swings terribly. Depression and anxiety were also at an all time high while on this medication. I had no sex drive and sex was no longer pleasurable. I usually don't write reviews but honestly reviews have been helping me navigate the best Birth Control method. I have literally been off of the patch for less than 48 hours and already am feeling better from the side effects. Some might say it was all in my head but whenever I applied the patch that area of my body would tingle and itch, so I know the effects can quickly change. Would definitely say it helps with not getting pregnant but if you are at all sensitive to headaches or medication I recommend a close watch.”

Mayhem January 31, 2020

“I’m 5’2” and weigh 100lbs When I first got on the patch I had all the starting symptoms; nausea, I was tired a lot, headaches - generally feeling like rubbish. However these symptoms gradually went away in about two cycles. I haven’t really had problems using the patch. Yes, when you take the patch off and put it back on the following your patch free week, you’re gonna feel a little off til the hormones regulate again. Similar instances can occur when you go straight to the next patch without a break up on the patch ( which is totally safe, I used to do it all the time ) but go away shortly after. I have only had ONE instance of breakthrough bleeding on this patch. Honestly I feel it was due to a lot of stress in my personal life, as I have NEVER experienced it before in the whole year I’d been on it. The patch is great if you use it correctly. The side effects are generally short term and it’s very effective ( my partner and I never use condoms and I haven’t gotten pregnant on this BC )”

Breeawnah September 13, 2019

“I’ve been on Xulane specifically for over 6 years, and I must say, it’s the best birth control I’ve taken. I’ve taken many different types of birth control pills before- combination, progestin only, about 8-12 different brand names for the pill, as well as the Depo-Provera shots. I was bleeding the whole 3 months I was on the shot, and the pills were OK but I didn’t like having to take something daily, and I felt like they were taking away my sex drive. On Xulane I’ve had either an increase or no difference in libido, I remember in the beginning my sex drive spiked! Now it’s steady and feels like it’s unaffected by the patch, as well as my weight and anxiety. I’ve been reading horror stories of the patch and the implant for some time now; what affects me in a positive way could be your worst nightmare and vice versa. So keep that in mind while reading reviews- each woman’s experience can vary so much- don’t create a confirmation bias!”

Anyone Else? · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 24, 2020

“I went on Xulane patches when I was 17, I am now almost 21 and have been on them regularly since. I did not particularly notice any side effects right away, but any that may have been could just as easily be explained by the stress of leaving for college. However, my problem lies in this last month. Life got hectic, and I forgot to apply a new patch after my period for about 3 weeks (I’ve always been regular with them prior). I noticed in this time that I felt better and more “myself” than I had in years, and that despite being on no other medication, my depression symptoms seemed to nearly all go away. Now, the common symptoms listed on here report low to no chance of depression or mood changes, but in retrospect it only popped up for me when I went on Xulane, and went away just as quickly when I accidentally went off of it. Have any other long term users experienced this or something similar?”

Chy · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2020

“I love this patch! I’ve been on the pill for about 8 years. After the first 7 years I got off it and had my daughter. Doctor put me on the pill after birth and had the worse side affects! (Extreme acne, mood swings, weight gain) .With the patch , I have the best skin, no weight gain or mood swings. The only bad thing is nausea. But I would rather have nausea from birth control rather than pregnancy!”

Notafan · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2020

“I hated this thing. I had used different pills before I had my son, and after I tried the shot. The shot made me start gaining weight so I wanted to try something different. I wore the patch TWO weeks and then I had to stop using it. The first few days were fine and then I started getting nauseous, by the second week I kept throwing up. I was very moody and cry for no reason. I legit thought I was pregnant between the mood swings and nausea. Two days after taking it off I ended up in the ER because I started having blurry vision and my heart was racing. When I got to the ER my heart rate was 148 but my vision started coming back. The only thing the doctors could figure was I had an ocular migraine cause by the hormones in the patch. The next day I started my period and I keep getting headaches. I’ve never had migraines or headaches before so I’m hoping this will get out of my system fast and I’ll be back to normal.”

Kk · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 17, 2020

“I’ve been on many different forms of birth control (6) for the past seven years and I have to say the patch is my favorite. It has cleared up my skin tremendously and it has made my boobs more full. I read other reviews about it falling off, but thats never really happened to me unless I’m in the river with a current. I think it depends on where you put the patch. I put mine on my lower back closer to my butt. The only issue I’ve had with the patch is TERRIBLE hot flashes. I get them really bad and I start sweating. This got so bad that I quit the patch and didn’t take birth control again for 8 months. Quitting birth control made my skin super bad with hormonal acne. I recently just got back on it and the hot flashes are back. I love this birth control so much it has done wonders for me. But the hot flashes are so bad I’m not sure how much longer I’ll be able to deal with it.”

Eh January 30, 2020

“So I’ve been using Xulane patch for about 3 or 4 months now. It’s been pretty effective. I do have type 1 diabetes it never messed with my numbers. Since recently I have had more mood swings than normal. Also big vaginal change as in like I smell different in this past month. I went to the doctor and they told me that everything was fine. I discharge more too. I’m hoping that this is just a phase in the medicine and hopefully will go away. Only pro.... I get super wet during sex. Very amazing.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 25, 2020

“I've been on Xulane for almost a year now. When I first started it I was scared of symptoms and weight gain because this is the first birth control I've ever tried but I have had a pretty good experience. Pretty bad headaches the first few months, but I rarely get headaches now. It doesn't make my period shorter or anything, but it has helped a little bit with cramps. Before BC I used to get so sick I would throw up, but I haven't had that issue since starting. I haven't had any bleeding or spotting in between. I was thinking about switching to Cryselle which is a pill but the reviews were so horrible so I think I am gonna stay with the patch for awhile. I have enjoyed being on this and I haven't gained any weight. Also have not gotten pregnant.”

anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 26, 2020

“I am on my third month. I’ve gained about 7 pounds roughly. I lose my appetite one day and the next I'm hungry no matter how much I eat. I have no idea if this has to do with my birth control but my breast have gotten painful knots on both of them. The doctor told me it was an infection but on my off week, the first one went away now I’m on week 2 of month 3 and I have two more on the opposite breast. Has happened to anyone else?”

Meghan5654 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 14, 2020

“I have been on Xulane for almost 2 months. The first month was great and I had no problems. As soon as I put my 4th patch on to skip my period, I started spotting. My Dr said that is normal. But after putting on my 5th patch, it was almost like I had morning sickness. I had nausea, headache, feeling as if I was going to puke all the time, and certain smells would get me also. And during all of this, I was still bleeding, not super heavy but more than spotting. I also have had PMS since I've been bleeding. On my 7th patch, I started bleeding quite heavy and started having such bad cramps that I couldn’t move. I am still bleeding currently. I think this would be a great option for some people. I really wish it worked for me.”

christine · Taken for less than 1 month October 4, 2020

“I don't like Xulane. How do other girls’ patches not fall off after they shower?!?! I can’t just only shower once a week. and I have to replace it after every time I shower? I don’t know how anyone likes this product. I gave it a 2 because it’s a great idea that we only need to change it once a week instead of taking a pill everyday, maybe work on making it more waterproof and it’ll be the new go to for girls.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 30, 2019

“I love this birth control! When I first got on birth control I was on the depo shot for three months. Before I started I was 140lbs and I’m 5’7. After the three months of depo I was 153lbs. The shot made me gain that much in 3 months. I got off of it and tried the Xulane patch and feel in love with. I’ve been on it for a half a year and haven’t gained a pound, and my aches on my back and face has totally disappeared. And my periods are regular and light which is amazing. I keep the patch on my butt, the only thing that bugs me is that sometimes it makes a red square on my butt for a couple of days, but other than that it’s great. Also my partner and I got tested for any STDs and we both came back negative so we don’t use condoms and I haven’t gotten pregnant which is also great. I definitely recommend the patch.”

DP · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 14, 2021

“Everyone, please be wary of the good comments being written here, they may be coming from Xulane. This patch is horrible and should not be on the market, terrible life threatening, life changing effects. Will never take birth control ever!”

Polly · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 7, 2020

“I switched to Xulane after having Mirena. The switch was seamless and I’ve had no bad side effects. My libido is back after the IUD got rid it and it’s really easy to remember to replace the patch once a week.”

Emily · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2018

“This is one of the most dangerous forms of birth control on the market for people with depression, anxiety or bipolar disorder. The anxiety it causes is unlike anything I’ve ever felt. I took it out of desperation after trying pill after pill. It was a horrible mistake. I was only on it for about 10 days. I ended up spending the next 48 hours alternating between crying and pacing my house, convinced I had become another person, terrified I had lost my mind. This medication should be taken off the market. Please do not risk using this if you have any sort of mental condition or have ever had any sort of anxiety-related issues.”

MoonChic · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 1, 2020

“I have only tried the pill and this patch as contraceptive. The pill was difficult to remember and being off by just a minute would cause spotting. Frustrating. I am very petite 5 ft tall I rarely can get to 108 pounds so most things are strong to me. This Xulane patch isn't bad. I don't know if I have mood swings. I am moody in general with anxiety disorder. Nothing has changed in that area. No pregnancy which is great. Easy to remember to change the patch. I've been on this patch over a year and for some reason lately I am spotting when I have my patch on. I get long (7 days or more) heavy periods. Its very annoying and every time I try to get answers they say it shouldn't happen that way. I can't even skip my period if I want to. Why can't this birth control stop my period?I enjoyed xulane until this whole struggle with my period on it.”

Lalalalalala213131 October 21, 2016

“I have been on Xulane for about 7 months now and I absolutely love it! At first, yes, it is horrible while the body is adjusting to it. There are constant headaches and what look like signs of early pregnancy, but after a while it works perfect! It's worth the beginning experience. I have noticed that my breasts grew rounder and fuller, no acne, no vaginal dryness, predictable periods, light periods, low cramping and best of all, no unplanned children!”

Greeneyez · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2021

“So I've always sucked at taking the pill, I would always forget. I had Mirena and really didn't like it, had nuva ring and same thing. And Nexaplanon was the worst of them all. I won't go into details but they all failed me in one way or another. Xulane has been the only birth control where I really have zero complaints. It is very easy to manage. When I was taking the pill I ended up pregnant at 18 because I wasn't diligent about taking at the same time or forgetting to take it. Xulane has made my cystic acne clear up almost completely . I've been on it for almost 6 months now and I won't be changing it. I recommend this to anyone thats struggled with other forms of birth control. I wish I would have tried this sooner”

Shasha · Taken for less than 1 month January 1, 2020

“Was on the patch for 6 days when EXTREME nausea set in. I had to call into work sick and vomited all day. By day 9 I was still having nausea and couldn’t take it anymore so I removed the patch. Would not recommend.”

Ape February 18, 2020

“I was on Xulane for 3 1/2 years. I had tubal ligation and my surgery was only supposed to be a half hour ended up being an hour and a half. My body was full of adhesions so my doctor could not find my ovaries! I have been dealing with intestinal spasms ever since. Going on 10 months and still on medication to treat them. Xulane caused me weight gain, mood swings and pain where patch was. NOT A GOOD CHOICE!”

Not feeling this November 4, 2020

“What can I say, but since being on Xulane patch which has been about 3 months has been the worse. I finally decided after trying this patch before for about a week that I didn’t give it a chance. I’ve been nausea constantly, nothing helps, and of course Dr says it may get better but they not the one going through it. So I’ve decided I’m over it and will not wearing anymore.”

Rachel · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 21, 2021

“I’m 18 and I started Xulane as my first form of birth control. I thought the patch would be easy but it is the worst :( I would put it on at night feeling totally fine and the next morning I would feel absolutely sick to my stomach. This happened my first time using and after my period I tried it again and it’s the same thing. I didn’t consider my chest pains a side effect until I saw that other women experience it too. I simply cannot function daily and do things like go to work or drive for long periods of time because the nausea is TOO MUCH. I don’t like xulane.”