User Reviews for Jolessa

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
1.5

Summary of Jolessa reviews 5.5 107 reviews

Reviews for Jolessa

For Birth Control "Reason for medication also includes irregular menstrual cycle, Bilateral breast pain (ongoing), menstrual migraines. Years ago; I was on the brandname Seasonelle and had minimal issues. When my insurance changed at 23, I tried Jolessa due to the brand name being $235 (circa 2012). I remember having terrible mood swings, weight gain, acne, so I stopped taking it. Fast forward to 2018, I asked my doctor to try BC again due to irregularity and breast pain. Since the name brand drug now costs $435, I was forced to try Jolessa again. I have bled for 26 days straight and have stopped taking the pill. There has been no “trade off” as far as my symptoms being reduced.. I have had cramping, breast pain, and headaches and the excessive bleeding. I do not recommend this generic medication."

Unhappy woman (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 9, 2018

For Birth Control "My experience with Jolessa hasn’t been bad. I started the pill about a year ago. Just like with most birth control pills, they all come with a few side effects. I noticed while on this pill during the last month of taking it I would have a lot of spotting but not an actual full blown period, I found it annoying because I’d constantly have to wear a pad/liner over the course of the month because of the spotting. Birth control pills definitely affect your mood change as well especially for me, I tend to feel more grumpy and short tempered. I also feel like you gain more weight while on birth control. My recommendation before starting this pill is to know that you’re basically shutting down hormones in your body which causes these side effects, so don’t think the entire experience with birth control will be terrific, all the while it does help prevent pregnancy and menstrual cramps which are the reasons why I’m on Jolessa. But give it a try and see how your body adjusts to it. :)"

Bec (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been taking Jolessa since 2016, and I’ve had some weird side effects from it. During the 3rd month, I would experience weird brown discharge and VERY slight bleeding for the whole month, which causes me to wear very thin liners for an entire month. I would also experience slight cramping, but nothing too terrible and it isn’t an everyday thing. Other than these two effects, I don’t have any other complains about Jolessa. (With the out-of-pocket expense, I found a coupon that does save me quite a bit on the pill itself, so I don’t actually spend that much every 3 months, but that’s how much it would normally cost.)"

FearfulFemale (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 23, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been taking Jolessa since October 2016. I have only had a few months this whole time that I did not spot or bleed heavily. I have bad cramps during my period and clotting while on this pill. I noticed that my sex drive is much less and I am more dry during sex. I was not like this before I started taking this. It does prevent pregnancy. I am not sure if it is worth taking anymore. I recently found out I have a corn intolerance and Micro-crystalline cellulose is in this pill. My skin is super dry and I did gain weight. Some of these symptoms could be peri-menopause since I am 45. I did read that it is supposed to help prevent those symptoms but it has not for me."

Angela (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 26, 2018

"Very dangerous drug. I was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer when on this drug at 43 years old. You are at a higher risk of breast cancer taking this drug. Although medical doctors would not confirm this I know my body and I know how this drug caused breast stinging and discomfort. Any drug that messes with your body's clock is DANGEROUS!!! The drug companies are messing with you by developing this drug. Your body was made to have one cycle per month.What are these drug companies thinking when they develop these drugs???? $$$$$$. They are not thinking about your safety. I learned this the hard way and paid the ultimate price. This drug should be taken off the market. This drug can cause a high risk of serious health consequences."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 21, 2018

For Birth Control "This medication is awful. I immediately started with breast tenderness/ soreness, then came joint pains and massive headaches. Then there were sharp pains in my lower abdomen that would last about ten seconds and I would have them throughout the day. I’m barely 19, healthy and have had regular periods for the past two years. I just wanted something to help cramps and it sounded like a dream when my gynecologist told me I’d only bleed 4 times a year ! I just finished my second month and I’ve been bleeding for 6 days now ! I’m not even supposed to be bleeding! I’m not even talking about spotting I’m talking about HEAVY bleeding. Before I started this medication my periods were light/regular and only lasted 5 days MAX. This is one of the worst decisions I’ve ever made, the side effects are not worth it. I’d rather get my period every month than deal with this. Don’t get on this medication."

cara (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Switched from tri sprintec because of side effects started jolessa. The first 7 weeks were great no side effects no issues. I'm now ten weeks in. I started spotting at the end of week 7 which was normal but it kept getting heavier. I've been bleeding heavily for 14 days now, longer than any of my periods before birth control. I've also had cramps so bad that it caused vomiting which has never happened before. I'm nearly doubled over in pain half the day and constantly nauseous. I saw one doctor they told me to stick with the pill so I did but my symptoms only continued to get worse so I got a second opinion from a doctor trained in this field. She recommended stopping the pill. So I did the bleeding is the same after being pill free for three days I've been really sick nausea, and headache. Starting jolessa was great and I thought it was helping but if I knew it would have been such a nightmare I never would have went on this pill"

Alice (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2018

For Birth Control "I love this birth control pill. I haven’t had any issues and it does it’s job, besides darkening discharge a couple of weeks before the period pills. I think this is a small price to pay to have a period every three months (I often don’t even get a period). I highly recommend this birth control if you’re considering a three month prescription!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I wanted a BC that stopped my periods and this did it for me so I'm happy about that. The downside is weight gain. I gained about 10 pounds over the past year. I exercise daily (personal trainer) and I eat healthy. No matter what kind of diet 'cut' I do... nothing changes. Also, my hormonal acne is insane. My skin consultant offered a routine to help me minimize my break outs but even still they happen. So while I no longer have a cycle and cycle pain I have an extra 10 lbs and hormone acne. Guess you get to pick your poison."

J (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 29, 2018

For Birth Control "The first month went smoothly. The second month is when the side effects started. I had a DARK brown (not the usually dark post period blood) but brown brown discharge and terrible headaches. After two weeks of this madness, I stopped taking them! I read on other sites that this has happen to numerous other females. It was gross— I’m never taking this again! I still have the headaches two days off the pill."

Tee Jay (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on depo for 10 years and had to stop because of demineralized bones. I enjoyed not having periods for those many years. The dr said to try jolessa. I was on it for 5 years. I always had bleeding 2 weeks before it was due in the pack. And slowly my hair had thinned out on my scalp. It took me forever to figure out why my hair was coming out rampantly. Yes it was 5 years of hair loss. Not even the dermatologist was sure what was causing it cause all my blood work came back normal. Shortly after stopping jolessa recently. I noticed little baby hairs growing on my hairline. Which I am so thankful for. I believe I may just be sensitive to birth control hormones or the synthetic hormones they use. So I'm choosing to using the cervical cap with contraceptive gel."

Sariah February 24, 2018

For Birth Control "I was put on Depo after having my first son. Never been on birth control before. Gained about 15 pounds after having him and couldn't shake it. Switched me to Jolessa and gained another 40 pounds. Before I had my son, I was 120lbs. Now on Jolessa, two years later, 190. Exercise, diet, cut out soda and alcohol, dairy and sugar. Nothing. Nothing will make the weight drop. Going to stop taking this soon. I would rather have a period every month and use condoms than feel like this."

Ilovedave1 January 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I would not recommend this at all. I’m a healthy 18 year old. I took Jolessa to stop painful periods and I was only on this for a month before I stopped. I stopped taking it because it gave me a pulmonary embolism and Deep vein thrombosis (DVT). I would highly avoid this birth control."

Catharine23 January 13, 2018

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome "I was on Jolessa for 5 months. I had to stop because of the constant bleeding. I've literally been bleeding for four months. I'm depressed, sometimes have thoughts that I'm dying, feeling hopeless, have gained 13lbs that I can't seem to shake, and am exhausted. If I clean house, walk somewhere, take out the trash, the bleeding increases. My doctor put me on Beyaz a week ago, and the bleeding hasn't stopped. I'm starting to wonder if it ever will. I think Jolessa broke my uterus."

K in OK December 28, 2017

For Birth Control "I have been on Jolessa for 2 years now and I love it. Periods only 4 times a year, no bleeding in between and no side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 5, 2017

For Birth Control "I've been on the pill for almost 3 months and so far I'm not pleased!! my gyne suggested this bc method because I bleed heavy and have severe abdomen pains. I'm always hungry, never stopped bleeding, and my bedroom life has been on hold for 2 in a half months."

L.P. September 1, 2017

For Endometriosis "I've been on this 8 months and I'm still adjusting. I started last November, and in December I spotted the entire month. My doctor told me to take half the placebos to flush out my system. I missed Christmas eve and Christmas it was so heavy and painful. The worst 2 days I've ever had on my period. Round two wasn't so bad, with the exception of one day. I'm halfway through my 3rd package. I've been breaking out like crazy and getting random cramps and bladder infections as I normally would before my period, but I still have another 45 days until placebo week. I might check with my doctor again soon because my body doesn't seem to want to cooperate with this drug. I'm only on this to treat endometriosis. I'm not sexually active."

Lady Liz June 12, 2017

For Birth Control "This medicine is horrible! I only took it three months and decided to stop. I got pregnant immediately. Not even six weeks into it I was dying of blood clots. My lung damage. I was in so much pain from the clots that I was on morphine and the back pain was super severe! If I could go back, I would've never in my life have taken this medicine and it needs to be removed from the market!"

HertoMissa May 8, 2017

For Birth Control "First cycle on these and I've been having breakthrough bleeding for 2 months now. In one week I will go on spacers, not sure if i want to continue, its so frustrating. I did have headaches when I just started cycle, but those went away after 3 days. Breast tenderness lasted the entire time."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2017

For Birth Control "So I'm this person that hates birth control as in hate them to the core but since we have one child and wanted to wait to have another and the Latex on the condom was getting me sick all the time I decided to look into bc my doc suggested jolesa because I have painful cramps. The pill was great no spotting no periods at all I mean I nothin and it never killed my sex drive like the depo, I had some bad side effects nuasea, lil headache but the worst of all was the weight gain 20lbs in 3 months I mean I workout 5 times a week eat healthy like I'm told but the scale keeps going up I can't do this anymore I'm going to try another one been told jazamin helps with weight loss so I may give that I shot but I can't stand the way I look."

Just only one March 20, 2017

For Birth Control "I am 19 years old an have been on Jolessa for a little over seven months now. I have had no problems with this contraceptive, except for the obvious when being on an antibiotic I had spotting. I have always had headaches and migraines growing up which is also a side effect to this contraceptive, they go away easily if I just drink plenty of water when I take the pill. I get most of the side effects which are exactly like my usual period symptoms and they only happen the week before or week during my period. Which is exactly how it was before I was on Jolessa. I was put on this because of over heating, severe cramps, heavy bleeding and shaking from my periods. I have none of these side effects except heavy bleeding, other than that all good"

trisha1997 March 13, 2017

For Birth Control "6 Years I've been on this pill. It's a great pill if you hate having a period every month. But being 22 is a lot different than being 16, and my body just isn't liking the pill anymore. Main Con's - Heavy bleeding, ZERO sex drive. Con's of taking the pill in the 1st to 3 years - Painful sex due to vaginal dryness, slight nausea if took in the morning Con's at the end & why I'm stopping (4-6 years) - Hair loss (just more hairs come out when I would brush it) More pee breaks, breakthrough bleeding, cramps & spotting when climaxing, & spotting during vigorous workouts. Pro's - Never got pregnant, stable mood, no breakouts, hair thinner on arms&legs I never had spotting in between packs( until Now) or gained any weight, & I'm pretty sedentary."

Roxsha (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 19, 2017

For Birth Control "I've been on this birth control for over 7 months now and I don't have much good to say. While it has been 100% effective for me as a contraceptive, the side effects have not been easy to handle. During the first 3 month pack, I gained 7 pounds, had breast tenderness, nausea, headaches everyday, acne, spotting and a never resting appetite. That was 3 months straight. Now at 7 months, I have lost all the weight I gained, I only have occasional headaches, no nausea, and no spotting. But the acne is still here and absolutely horrible! I've never had acne before I started using this birth control and now it's all over my face and not going away with anything! I'll hopefully be switching at my next yearly exam."

Ak17 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 28, 2017

For Birth Control "I'm going on month 3 on Jolessa and the bleeding hasn't stopped since the month prior. As a BC, its great cause I'm not pregnant but the bleeding sucks. I haven't gained any weight which is great but I've become super irritable. I had this same reaction to the depo shot. I'm waiting on a doctors apt to change my BC."

LaraDoc January 10, 2017

For Birth Control "This medication caused massive and sub-massive pulmonary embolisms; as well as a major saddle embolus. Thus causing my right ventricle to become enlarged, resting pulse to become over 150 and lowered my oxygen levels. If I had not had a CT scan because I repetitively complained about how it was getting harder and harder to breathe- I would be dead! My cardiologist doesn't know how I am still alive. I am a healthy female in my 20's who took low does estrogen B.C. pills for years until I switched to this drug. Months later and I am on blood thinners and unable to continue my schooling or physically demanding job. It seemed to be working fine. Over time I started developing what I thought was back strain, or from overworking my abs. Turns out the pain was actually caused by the lack of oxygen to my lung tissue which is now dead (infarction). I was in physical therapy for weeks until the shortness of breathe kicked in. I'm a runner. There was no way I got out of shape that fast. I pushed. They considered asthma. After my heart "was nearly beating out of your chest and I could hear it without my stethoscope" said my NP- I got a CT which revealed the clots and was immediately admitted for EKOS surgery (direct catheter thrombolysis). I had to lay on my back for over 24 hours. They had to put wires into my lungs and legs. Blood work following the procedure shows that my ONLY risk factor was this birth control- it nearly killed me in my early 20's."

sdt94 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 16, 2016