User Reviews for Jolessa

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome 1.7
Summary of Jolessa reviews 5.3 121 reviews

Reviews for Jolessa

Cleo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 6, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I've been on the bc pill since 13 years old for severe periods. I'm now 43. My previous obgyn put me on Jolessa two months after I gave birth last year. My previous prescription of Kelnor worked wonderfully, and I told her that. Still, she insisted on giving me this garbage. I've had the worst experience with this pill. It hasn't helped at all. I've had my most recent period for a month and a half now with terrible pain and an incredible amount of huge blood clots. A month after starting Jolessa, I started having random horrible cramps without bleeding. I would occasionally have spotting with or without pain. I ditched that obgyn and am about to start a different prescription thanks to my pcp who I trust completely.”

Happy Mom August 27, 2020

For Birth Control: “39 YO w/two kids 6 and under. Not planning to have anymore kids. Heavy periods w/clotting & anemia. Dr recommended BC to lighten periods. I also wanted to stop having monthly periods. 1st week on Jolessa I had headaches. 3 weeks in headaches stopped. My skin is clearer. No mood swings. I feel happy but was not prone to depression before. I did feel bloated the first 2 weeks but that has gotten better by week 3, drinking lots of water, exercise & watching calories. No spotting at all. Not having a period for 3 months is improving my quality of life! I had lost nearly 20lbs before the BC. I’m not gaining-working out vigorously and counting calories BUT I do feel like I’m hungrier, craving sweets when I normally don’t and weight loss is slower than before. Overall I’m loving this birth control Jolessa. As far as fitness, it will just motivate me to work harder at working out and monitoring what I eat. I recommend giving it a try. Don’t let negative reviews deter you. I let that stop me for years and suffered.”

YeetHaw April 7, 2020

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: “Background: 26 y/o female with PCOS since the age of 12. Been on and off 21/7 day birth controls many years. They worked fine, but with how bad my PCOS has gotten, I wanted to avoid having a period every. dang. month. so I finally found a doctor that *allowed* me to use a 84/7 pack. It is hard to get different medications at this exact point as my husband is in the military and they only dole out 1 month at a time and not a day before. I am almost done with week 7 of my first pack and I am getting bleeding on and off since week 6. I am trying to manage this problem by taking Exedrin's NSAIDs ingredient to manage the bleeding and pain. My main complaint is that the whole world is in the middle of a toilet paper crisis as it's COVID-19 time.. So if I started my period by stopping the pills and just toughed it out, I would be out of tp well before I stopped bleeding (and I JUST bought 12 rolls..) OR I have to stick it out for who knows how long (these comments have me fretting).”

Anonymous April 7, 2020

For Birth Control: “I started Jolessa in April 2019 and I’ve had an overall good experience with it. The last 3 weeks I had to wear a liner (most times no spotting would actually make it on there the first 2 weeks, I would notice the spotting when wiping while using the bathroom). When my cycle would actually come, it wasn’t super heavy; only needing to change my pad maybe twice a day (if that). Cramps during my cycle were very manageable with ibuprofen and I had a lot of bloating during the second month. The only thing I didn’t like about Jolessa is I think it contributed to my weight gain, about 15 lbs, during this year. I’m considering stopping the pill to try to get my weight back under control though. Other than that, I haven’t had any bad side effects and my experience has been good with it!”

bncj4477 · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 3, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I am shocked at how many bad reviews this BC has!! I was on this pill for around 5 years, and recently got off due to getting migraines with aura, and now am switching to an IUD because it has no estrogen. However my time on this pill was great. everyone’s body is different but when I got put on this I had little to no spotting- it was so nice only getting a period 4x a year as someone who suffers from heavy bleeding/ cramps. For people who are worried / experiencing spotting, give your body a chance to get used to it! You aren't bleeding for 3 months straight so it’s normal to get a little bit of spotting as you are approaching the placebo week. The only cons I would give this BC is the fact that I did get migraines on it, it definitely made me a little more emotional (but any BC will) and I did notice a little thinning of my hair. However I never got pregnant, boobs grew a size, didn’t gain any weight, and it improved my period significantly. Don’t believe hype on this site!”

B December 14, 2019

For Birth Control: “So far I am 4 days from finishing up my 2nd month of Jolessa and I am miserable. I have been on my period since the day I started my 2nd month and it just keeps getting heavier. I feel like its never going to stop. I am moody mentally unstable super depressed, my cramps are starting to get worse and worse with every day, so far not happy at all and all the dr can tell me is to stick with it.”

Red · Taken for 10 years or more December 4, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “My daughter has PCOS among other problems, she started this drug when she was 12 and now at 23 is having breakthrough bleeding. I can only assume that her body has changed that this drug no longer is helping keep her periods at bay.”

Princess Poppy November 2, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I started taking Jolessa to alleviate peri menopausal symptoms, ie inability to sleep, weight gain, fatigue, unpredictable periods, thinning hair and new facial hair. The the first month on it, my facial hair lightened up and my face became smooth again. My mood lifted and I felt great, but that was the only beneficial thing about it. I started bleeding for months - heavily. Using tampons and pads at the same time did not protect me from accidents. The minute I stood up in the morning it would be flowing all over the place. I started getting bouts of sciatic nerve pain, severe pain in my knees. I'd be unable to go from sitting to standing position. I had headaches and more weight gain. I immediately stopped taking it and opted to try natural herbs and vitamins. hemp oil, kohosh, omegas and magnesium/zinc. Plus I just started taking the cherry juice concentrate. I wouldn't recommend it. Try to go natural, you'll see the benefits like I did.”

Hihi · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 20, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I bled for months after taking this pill! I’m stopping it right now !”

Savethesharks · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Ok so I was on my period for 30 something days and I went to the doctor and all the wanted to do was put me on birth control which I did not want for many reasons !! So basically they didn’t do anything ! 20 something days later I’m still on my period ! Day 54 I wake up and get out of bed and blood just starts running through my clothes all over the floor ! My husband rushed me to the E.R . I had 2 obygn exams there but there was too much blood to know , an ultrasound but nothing was found. All they could really tell me was I was sick with anemia from loss of so much blood and they put me on jolessa for 5 days. The first day I took 5 and lesser each day. So never found out what truly happen or why my cycle was 54 days and what happen that morning !! Very scary situation and even more scary that trained doctors couldn’t even figure it out. Overall the jolessa made me feel awful !! Didn’t have a cycle for 6 months.”

Gin · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 20, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I always had heavy unpredictable periods and hated it. After spending two months straight bleeding an extremely heavy, clotting flow I asked my doctor about alternatives and she recommended taking birth control pills without the weekly break. I started on a different medication but switched to this one because insurance covers it at no cost to me. I haven't had a period in over 10 years and I've never been happier.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 13, 2019

For Birth Control: “I started taking Jolessa in May 2018 and it worked very well for me until recently. I started Jolessa because I had really bad cramps while on my period and heavy bleeding, Jolessa seemed to fix that problem where I never really had any cramps and had a very light period. A couple weeks ago I noticed that I was spotting, which I had never had on this birth control before, but I thought it was normal. Then I started to have AWFUL cramps to the point where it would bring me to tears. After this went on for about three weeks I made an appointment with my OBGYN for an ultrasound, where she found that Jolessa caused me to have a blood clot in my uterus. Ever since I stopped taking Jolessa, my problems have stopped and I’m hopeful that my blood clot will dissolve by my next ultrasound appointment.”

Always Angry July 9, 2019

For Birth Control: “Been on Jolessa for 11 days and counting. Had nausea, headache and stomachache the first three days. That’s done, but now I’m still bleeding even though my period finished almost a week ago. Woke up this morning with brown blood running down my legs and saw big clots on the toilet paper when I wiped myself. That has never happened to me with any of the other contraceptives I’ve taken (Yaz, Tri Sprintec, progestin-only pills, Nexplanon). Doc says to keep at it for the full three months but I think I’m ready to call it quits with Jolessa.”

:-( December 19, 2018

For Birth Control: “Horrible experience with this birth control. Had INTENSE cramping start within the first week and it has only gotten worse. It’s a constant dull aching pain with waves of extreme stabbing pains all day every day. After 8 weeks I am calling it quits. Also, I started my period after 4 weeks... it was strange. However, did not experience any weight gain as many others have... overall, would not recommend at all. STAY AWAY!”

Unhappy woman · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 9, 2018

For Birth Control: “Reason for medication also includes irregular menstrual cycle, Bilateral breast pain (ongoing), menstrual migraines. Years ago; I was on the brandname Seasonelle and had minimal issues. When my insurance changed at 23, I tried Jolessa due to the brand name being $235 (circa 2012). I remember having terrible mood swings, weight gain, acne, so I stopped taking it. Fast forward to 2018, I asked my doctor to try BC again due to irregularity and breast pain. Since the name brand drug now costs $435, I was forced to try Jolessa again. I have bled for 26 days straight and have stopped taking the pill. There has been no “trade off” as far as my symptoms being reduced.. I have had cramping, breast pain, and headaches and the excessive bleeding. I do not recommend this generic medication.”

Bec · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 8, 2018

For Birth Control: “My experience with Jolessa hasn’t been bad. I started the pill about a year ago. Just like with most birth control pills, they all come with a few side effects. I noticed while on this pill during the last month of taking it I would have a lot of spotting but not an actual full blown period, I found it annoying because I’d constantly have to wear a pad/liner over the course of the month because of the spotting. Birth control pills definitely affect your mood change as well especially for me, I tend to feel more grumpy and short tempered. I also feel like you gain more weight while on birth control. My recommendation before starting this pill is to know that you’re basically shutting down hormones in your body which causes these side effects, so don’t think the entire experience with birth control will be terrific, all the while it does help prevent pregnancy and menstrual cramps which are the reasons why I’m on Jolessa. But give it a try and see how your body adjusts to it. :)”

FearfulFemale · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 23, 2018

For Birth Control: “I’ve been taking Jolessa since 2016, and I’ve had some weird side effects from it. During the 3rd month, I would experience weird brown discharge and VERY slight bleeding for the whole month, which causes me to wear very thin liners for an entire month. I would also experience slight cramping, but nothing too terrible and it isn’t an everyday thing. Other than these two effects, I don’t have any other complains about Jolessa. (With the out-of-pocket expense, I found a coupon that does save me quite a bit on the pill itself, so I don’t actually spend that much every 3 months, but that’s how much it would normally cost.)”

Angela · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 26, 2018

For Birth Control: “I have been taking Jolessa since October 2016. I have only had a few months this whole time that I did not spot or bleed heavily. I have bad cramps during my period and clotting while on this pill. I noticed that my sex drive is much less and I am more dry during sex. I was not like this before I started taking this. It does prevent pregnancy. I am not sure if it is worth taking anymore. I recently found out I have a corn intolerance and Micro-crystalline cellulose is in this pill. My skin is super dry and I did gain weight. Some of these symptoms could be peri-menopause since I am 45. I did read that it is supposed to help prevent those symptoms but it has not for me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 21, 2018

“Very dangerous drug. I was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer when on this drug at 43 years old. You are at a higher risk of breast cancer taking this drug. Although medical doctors would not confirm this I know my body and I know how this drug caused breast stinging and discomfort. Any drug that messes with your body's clock is DANGEROUS!!! The drug companies are messing with you by developing this drug. Your body was made to have one cycle per month.What are these drug companies thinking when they develop these drugs???? $$$$$$. They are not thinking about your safety. I learned this the hard way and paid the ultimate price. This drug should be taken off the market. This drug can cause a high risk of serious health consequences.”

cara · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 11, 2018

For Birth Control: “This medication is awful. I immediately started with breast tenderness/ soreness, then came joint pains and massive headaches. Then there were sharp pains in my lower abdomen that would last about ten seconds and I would have them throughout the day. I’m barely 19, healthy and have had regular periods for the past two years. I just wanted something to help cramps and it sounded like a dream when my gynecologist told me I’d only bleed 4 times a year ! I just finished my second month and I’ve been bleeding for 6 days now ! I’m not even supposed to be bleeding! I’m not even talking about spotting I’m talking about HEAVY bleeding. Before I started this medication my periods were light/regular and only lasted 5 days MAX. This is one of the worst decisions I’ve ever made, the side effects are not worth it. I’d rather get my period every month than deal with this. Don’t get on this medication.”

Alice · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 11, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Switched from tri sprintec because of side effects started jolessa. The first 7 weeks were great no side effects no issues. I'm now ten weeks in. I started spotting at the end of week 7 which was normal but it kept getting heavier. I've been bleeding heavily for 14 days now, longer than any of my periods before birth control. I've also had cramps so bad that it caused vomiting which has never happened before. I'm nearly doubled over in pain half the day and constantly nauseous. I saw one doctor they told me to stick with the pill so I did but my symptoms only continued to get worse so I got a second opinion from a doctor trained in this field. She recommended stopping the pill. So I did the bleeding is the same after being pill free for three days I've been really sick nausea, and headache. Starting jolessa was great and I thought it was helping but if I knew it would have been such a nightmare I never would have went on this pill”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 10, 2018

For Birth Control: “I love this birth control pill. I haven’t had any issues and it does it’s job, besides darkening discharge a couple of weeks before the period pills. I think this is a small price to pay to have a period every three months (I often don’t even get a period). I highly recommend this birth control if you’re considering a three month prescription!”

J · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 29, 2018

For Birth Control: “I wanted a BC that stopped my periods and this did it for me so I'm happy about that. The downside is weight gain. I gained about 10 pounds over the past year. I exercise daily (personal trainer) and I eat healthy. No matter what kind of diet 'cut' I do... nothing changes. Also, my hormonal acne is insane. My skin consultant offered a routine to help me minimize my break outs but even still they happen. So while I no longer have a cycle and cycle pain I have an extra 10 lbs and hormone acne. Guess you get to pick your poison.”

Tee Jay · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 16, 2018

For Birth Control: “The first month went smoothly. The second month is when the side effects started. I had a DARK brown (not the usually dark post period blood) but brown brown discharge and terrible headaches. After two weeks of this madness, I stopped taking them! I read on other sites that this has happen to numerous other females. It was gross— I’m never taking this again! I still have the headaches two days off the pill.”

Sariah February 24, 2018

For Birth Control: “I was on depo for 10 years and had to stop because of demineralized bones. I enjoyed not having periods for those many years. The dr said to try jolessa. I was on it for 5 years. I always had bleeding 2 weeks before it was due in the pack. And slowly my hair had thinned out on my scalp. It took me forever to figure out why my hair was coming out rampantly. Yes it was 5 years of hair loss. Not even the dermatologist was sure what was causing it cause all my blood work came back normal. Shortly after stopping jolessa recently. I noticed little baby hairs growing on my hairline. Which I am so thankful for. I believe I may just be sensitive to birth control hormones or the synthetic hormones they use. So I'm choosing to using the cervical cap with contraceptive gel.”