User Reviews for Jolessa to treat Birth Control

Jolessa has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 100 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 42% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 37% reported a negative effect.

Jolessa Rating Summary

5.5/10 average rating

Compare all 278 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Jolessa

Happy Mom August 27, 2020

“39 YO w/two kids 6 and under. Not planning to have anymore kids. Heavy periods w/clotting & anemia. Dr recommended BC to lighten periods. I also wanted to stop having monthly periods. 1st week on Jolessa I had headaches. 3 weeks in headaches stopped. My skin is clearer. No mood swings. I feel happy but was not prone to depression before. I did feel bloated the first 2 weeks but that has gotten better by week 3, drinking lots of water, exercise & watching calories. No spotting at all. Not having a period for 3 months is improving my quality of life! I had lost nearly 20lbs before the BC. I’m not gaining-working out vigorously and counting calories BUT I do feel like I’m hungrier, craving sweets when I normally don’t and weight loss is slower than before. Overall I’m loving this birth control Jolessa. As far as fitness, it will just motivate me to work harder at working out and monitoring what I eat. I recommend giving it a try. Don’t let negative reviews deter you. I let that stop me for years and suffered.”

Anonymous April 7, 2020

“I started Jolessa in April 2019 and I’ve had an overall good experience with it. The last 3 weeks I had to wear a liner (most times no spotting would actually make it on there the first 2 weeks, I would notice the spotting when wiping while using the bathroom). When my cycle would actually come, it wasn’t super heavy; only needing to change my pad maybe twice a day (if that). Cramps during my cycle were very manageable with ibuprofen and I had a lot of bloating during the second month. The only thing I didn’t like about Jolessa is I think it contributed to my weight gain, about 15 lbs, during this year. I’m considering stopping the pill to try to get my weight back under control though. Other than that, I haven’t had any bad side effects and my experience has been good with it!”

Abstinent Newly Wed November 5, 2013

“I am on my first pack, one and a half weeks before my placebo week. I had dark brown spotting for three weeks, starting the second month. It has progressed into a period. I'm going to do one more pack to see if anything changes, but this is a horrible side effect. I chose Jolessa because I'm a newly wed and I didn't want as many periods. In addition to the spotting, my sex desire doesn't exist. This is very challenging, as my breasts have grown significantly and my husband like breasts. On a positive note, I didn't get pregnant while I was able to have sex. That's wonderful. Now, I can't get pregnant because I'm not having sex. Thanks Jolessa.”

Phishface09 June 10, 2016

“*Last update*...I gave these pills six months and that's all I could take. The last straw was when I started my period randomly while in Key West on vacation. I switched back to my Ortho Lo, but not before I went from 132 to now 153 in a matter of months. I'm frustrated, bloated and desperate. I hired a personal trainer, have been running, drinking a ton of water, eating only around 1200-1400 calories a day, and I'm not even exaggerating, I GAIN a pound and a half a week. Stay away. Remember when Caty gave Regina the swedish weight gain bars and said they were for losing weight, and then Regina ended up wearing sweatsuits everyday, but Caty said to "give them a chance?" IT'S THE SAME THING. These are mean pills.”

Jolessa · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 25, 2014

“I have been on Jolessa for 9 years. I have my period 2 days after starting the sugar pill, an its always been the same and right on time. I don't have acne except an occasional zit or two, my weight for the nine years has been the same beside small weight gain. I started Jolessa when I was 15-16 and I'm 24 now. I've never had a problem. And I haven't gotten pregnant. I don't take it at the exact same time. I just take it when I wake up or remember. Thus far I love it! I'm also very active in sports so its nice only having a period every 3 months. I will say that after a year or so of taking Jolessa I did lose the sex drive. That lasted about 1-2 years, but it came back two fold.”

DramaMama · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 24, 2012

“I have been on Jolessa for 7 years. I DON'T take the placebo pills, and have not had a period the 7 years except for once, when the Doctors office and Mail order pharmacy my former insurance made me use, got their wires crossed. If I don't take the pill exactly the same time every day...my body lets me know that it needs it's dose! No acne, and I have not had any weight gain. Slight spotting here and there, maybe once or twice a year. I don't plan on having any more children (I have a 10 1/2 year old), but am only 28, so the Dr.'s won't let me get a tubal ligation. I thought of the IUD, but quite frankly, I like NEVER having a period. No ill effects after 7 years without it. Healthy as ever.”

B December 14, 2019

“So far I am 4 days from finishing up my 2nd month of Jolessa and I am miserable. I have been on my period since the day I started my 2nd month and it just keeps getting heavier. I feel like its never going to stop. I am moody mentally unstable super depressed, my cramps are starting to get worse and worse with every day, so far not happy at all and all the dr can tell me is to stick with it.”

Anonymous December 13, 2009

“I've been on Jolessa for 6 months. I decided to try this because I get bad headaches during my period (even though they'd only last 3 days, 4 days at most) and I wanted to avoid it altogether. The first two months, it was great. Then my period arrived a month early and the bleeding lasted for 25 days, mostly light. I had already picked up my next 90 day pack so I figured I'd try to get through that and if I still had the bleeding, I'd talk to my doctor about another birth control. No need to do that because Jolessa is now working perfectly for me. It's been wonderful not having a period for a few months. I'd recommend this birth control to anyone.”

cara · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 11, 2018

“This medication is awful. I immediately started with breast tenderness/ soreness, then came joint pains and massive headaches. Then there were sharp pains in my lower abdomen that would last about ten seconds and I would have them throughout the day. I’m barely 19, healthy and have had regular periods for the past two years. I just wanted something to help cramps and it sounded like a dream when my gynecologist told me I’d only bleed 4 times a year ! I just finished my second month and I’ve been bleeding for 6 days now ! I’m not even supposed to be bleeding! I’m not even talking about spotting I’m talking about HEAVY bleeding. Before I started this medication my periods were light/regular and only lasted 5 days MAX. This is one of the worst decisions I’ve ever made, the side effects are not worth it. I’d rather get my period every month than deal with this. Don’t get on this medication.”

Blondie2859 November 9, 2016

“When I started Jolessa, I had been on the Depo Provera shot for almost two years. While on Depo, I gained 30 lbs and I experienced every side effect. When I switched to Jolessa, I didn't experience spotting and my weight plateaued. I am very pleased with Jolessa and I love that my periods are only every three months, also that they are only heavy for three days. I know I keep water weight given that I am on birth control, but that's the only negative thing I have to say about Jolessa!”

Morgan October 2, 2020

“Was on Jolessa birth control for a year and recently stopped taking it because of side effects. I had very frequent migraines that lasted 2-3 days. I lost my appetite and 10 pounds, as someone who is already very skinny it was concerning. As far as acne, it cleared up a lot until the last three months I was on it, I started getting monster pimples that were painful. I got the chills and fevers almost everyday. My boobs got a full cup size bigger so thats something to look forward to! I also experienced pain during sex and itching in nether regions while on this. I've tried 4 birth controls and none of them have worked out so you may experience less or more side effects.”

Anonymous September 15, 2011

“This pill didn't work for me. I was it for 3 months. I spotted for several weeks (probably 6 weeks), gained weight (went from size 0 to a 4 -6) and felt depressed and suicidal. I switched back to a pill I had been on several years ago (Levora/Portia). It's been 2.5 weeks since I switched pills and I already feel back to normal. I'm back to size 0, mental health is normal, and no more spotting. Jolessa didn't work with my body's chemistry but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. The birth control pill is trial and error, in my opinion. Find what works for you.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 13, 2019

“I started taking Jolessa in May 2018 and it worked very well for me until recently. I started Jolessa because I had really bad cramps while on my period and heavy bleeding, Jolessa seemed to fix that problem where I never really had any cramps and had a very light period. A couple weeks ago I noticed that I was spotting, which I had never had on this birth control before, but I thought it was normal. Then I started to have AWFUL cramps to the point where it would bring me to tears. After this went on for about three weeks I made an appointment with my OBGYN for an ultrasound, where she found that Jolessa caused me to have a blood clot in my uterus. Ever since I stopped taking Jolessa, my problems have stopped and I’m hopeful that my blood clot will dissolve by my next ultrasound appointment.”

Bec · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 8, 2018

“My experience with Jolessa hasn’t been bad. I started the pill about a year ago. Just like with most birth control pills, they all come with a few side effects. I noticed while on this pill during the last month of taking it I would have a lot of spotting but not an actual full blown period, I found it annoying because I’d constantly have to wear a pad/liner over the course of the month because of the spotting. Birth control pills definitely affect your mood change as well especially for me, I tend to feel more grumpy and short tempered. I also feel like you gain more weight while on birth control. My recommendation before starting this pill is to know that you’re basically shutting down hormones in your body which causes these side effects, so don’t think the entire experience with birth control will be terrific, all the while it does help prevent pregnancy and menstrual cramps which are the reasons why I’m on Jolessa. But give it a try and see how your body adjusts to it. :)”

Anonymous June 14, 2010

“I have used Jolessa for several years and I love it. I used Seasonique for about two years before that and did not notice a big difference (except reduced co-pay) when I changed. I have never had spotting. I LOVE not having a monthly visit and it is very light when I do have it. Down side would be reduced libido. I have just learned to live with it. I also think this causes me to have some acne that seems to have started about the time I began taking it. However, I would rather buy pimple cream than tampons. Weight has not really been an issue. I wish it would make my boobs grow! No such luck. I would recommend to anyone.”

thattt girlllll October 5, 2014

“I've been on Jolessa since I was 17 and I'm now 23 & I absolutely love it! I had break through bleeding the first month, but after that only four periods a year and they only last 2 days 3 at the most. I recently changed doctors & got Camrese and I hate it! I've been spotting the whole first month. At the end of the month I had a full five day period. I'm switching back to Jolessa. I thought that Jolessa and Camrese was the same but they are not.”

Tiger18 · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2014

“I have been on Jolessa for about a month due to having excessive cramps and bleeding so I was excited to try not having a period for three months, but so far everything is fine no bad side effects except a little acne. So far a good birth control.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 7, 2015

“I have been on Jolessa for 4 years and am quite pleased with it. I chose to go on birth control because I used to get really bad cramps and have heavy bleeding. The reason it doesn't a get 10 star review from me is because the first month of adjusting to it was awful for me. I had horrible cramps and pretty much nonstop bleeding. But 4 years removed from the situation, I would say it was worth it. I did not experience weight gain and it's so nice to have control over my body. Now my periods are predictable and the cramps aren't as bad.”

FearfulFemale · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 23, 2018

“I’ve been taking Jolessa since 2016, and I’ve had some weird side effects from it. During the 3rd month, I would experience weird brown discharge and VERY slight bleeding for the whole month, which causes me to wear very thin liners for an entire month. I would also experience slight cramping, but nothing too terrible and it isn’t an everyday thing. Other than these two effects, I don’t have any other complains about Jolessa. (With the out-of-pocket expense, I found a coupon that does save me quite a bit on the pill itself, so I don’t actually spend that much every 3 months, but that’s how much it would normally cost.)”

Anonymous September 27, 2009

“I just started my second pack of Jolessa. I started using this birth control because I was having migraines every period, so hopefully I will only have period induced migraines every three months. I too experienced a lot of spotting during my end of 2nd-beginning of 3rd month, almost 3 weeks. And my period did have some pretty good cramps but only lasted three days. Overall, I am glad I no longer have the monthly periods or migraines.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 10, 2018

“I love this birth control pill. I haven’t had any issues and it does it’s job, besides darkening discharge a couple of weeks before the period pills. I think this is a small price to pay to have a period every three months (I often don’t even get a period). I highly recommend this birth control if you’re considering a three month prescription!”

Happy User · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 18, 2015

“I got on Jolessa because I get horrible migraines when I get my period, so having it just 4 times a year is much better than 12/13 (I got it every 22 days). I gained a little weight but other than that, I love it. I've never had any issues with other side effects and I've been on it for a year and a half.”

Roxsha · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 19, 2017

“6 Years I've been on this pill. It's a great pill if you hate having a period every month. But being 22 is a lot different than being 16, and my body just isn't liking the pill anymore. Main Con's - Heavy bleeding, ZERO sex drive. Con's of taking the pill in the 1st to 3 years - Painful sex due to vaginal dryness, slight nausea if took in the morning Con's at the end & why I'm stopping (4-6 years) - Hair loss (just more hairs come out when I would brush it) More pee breaks, breakthrough bleeding, cramps & spotting when climaxing, & spotting during vigorous workouts. Pro's - Never got pregnant, stable mood, no breakouts, hair thinner on arms&legs I never had spotting in between packs( until Now) or gained any weight, & I'm pretty sedentary.”

:-( December 19, 2018

“Horrible experience with this birth control. Had INTENSE cramping start within the first week and it has only gotten worse. It’s a constant dull aching pain with waves of extreme stabbing pains all day every day. After 8 weeks I am calling it quits. Also, I started my period after 4 weeks... it was strange. However, did not experience any weight gain as many others have... overall, would not recommend at all. STAY AWAY!”

BrantBrant · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 1, 2016

“I began taking this because I had very heavy periods and I was tired of having a period every month. After the first pack I was a little concerned because I had breakthrough the entire 3rd month. This happened every pack. I decided to stick with it. Nov. 30, 2015 I had a severe abdominal attack. I went to 2 ER's that did nothing for me. They told me I had gas and to go home and take miralax. It did not work. I followed up with a gastrointerologist on Monday. He immediately admitted me to the hospital. Long story short....I had major liver surgery on Dec. 4, 2015 to remove a hepatic adenoma that had ruptured. These were completely hormonal caused by the birth control. PLEASE STOP TAKING THIS. MY LIFE WAS BARELY SAVED.”