User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel to treat Birth Control

Also known as: NuvaRing, EluRyng

Ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel has an average rating of 5.7 out of 10 from a total of 1242 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 40% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Ethinyl estradiol/etonogestrel Rating Summary

5.7/10 average rating

Compare all 278 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel

Anonymous November 29, 2009

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “I originally came on to this site to look for facts on Implanon, because I am thinking of switching from Nuvaring to Implanon. Out of the many comments, only a few were good. There were many many negative comments and it made me wonder if the majority of people who choose to comment, do so because they are experiencing negative side-effects, and those women who aren't experiencing side-effects don't leave any comments at all. So I'm going to go ahead and add a GOOD comment about Nuvaring. Nuvaring has worked out GREAT for me. No side-effects that I have noticed. No weight gain, no mood swings, no acne. The only thing is that I can feel it during sex, which is an easy fix to just take it out before and put it back in afterward.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 5, 2020

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “The Nuvaring has been the best form of birth control I have tried. I’ve been on many many different BC pills over the course of several years and the worst by far for me was MonoNessa. I had horrible side effects due to the Mononessa & nearly passed out everyday on it until I finally switched to the NuvaRing. Everyone thinks it’s scary because it’s in your vagina but it is so simple and you don’t even know it’s there. It’s especially nice when you want to skip your period and can leave it in. But just remember to change it every month! I have had no side effects it’s been about 1 year and it’s so much easier than taking a pill the same time everyday. It has never slipped out and I 100% recommend at least trying it if you’re like me and have had a bad experience with the pill!!!! I don’t get morning sickness, my acne is gone, my mood swings aren’t bad, no depression/anxiety anymore since switching, no weight gain.... i can’t recommend this enough”

sarah January 25, 2020

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “I read A LOT of terrible reviews & was extremely hesitant to put my Nuvaring in; decided to try anyway & am super glad I did. The 1st 2 days I felt a little muted emotion-wise but after that totally normal. No weird feelings or anxiety or depression (which was my main fear/no go) no irritation, no loss of sex drive. Actually I feel like my hormones finally balanced out. My son was born 3 & 1/2 years ago and I still didn’t feel quite normal. I’m so happy that I ignored the bad reviews and tried it for myself. People usually post about their negative experiences, rarely their positive ones; so I have made it a point to post mine. I for real feel better and happier than I have since before my son was born; like the ring balanced my wild uncontrolled hormones and put them in check. Keep in mind my ring has only been in for 1 week so I will post later about the long term. FYI I cannot feel it during sex unless I’m on top (my mans very well endowed) and then very rarely. He says he can never feel it.”

Caligirl99 May 29, 2009

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “I have been using the NuvaRing for a bit over 2 weeks now. I love it. I was a bit cautious about having sex with it, and worried that my boyfriend would feel it inside my vagina. He can't feel it and I have never experienced a "slipping out" or was afraid that I was going to lose it during sex. I know everyone's body is different. For me, I'm small 100lbs 5 feet, the other two oral birth control pill I've tried Ortho-tricylen and Aviane both made me horribly moody and I had non-stop breakthrough bleeding on Aviane. Overall, I say NuvaRing is the best birth control yet. My sex drive is boosted, I can forget I'm even using birth control for three weeks, and I am not moody at all. I feel like a teenager again.”

spicygirl · Taken for less than 1 month August 11, 2019

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “I just recently switched from the pill (Sronyx) to the NuvaRing. Not going to lie, I got on this website the day I got prescribed the NuvaRing and I scared myself half to death...all of the reviews were so scary and I was terrified. Needless to say, I still tried it. I've been on the NuvaRing for about a month already and I absolutely love it. I've pretty much forgotten about it, my boyfriend can't feel it during sex, and neither can I. People complain about a low sex drive on the ring but if anything, mine has gone up. Everything is more enjoyable now than ever because I don't have to remember to take a pill. When I got on the pill I gained 15 lbs and was literally psychotic and depressed but with the NuvaRing I feel normal again!! Do NOT let these reviews scare you, People are more likely to leave a review if they have a bad experience and if all is good they forget about it, move on and never return to the website to leave a positive review.!! Dont be scared, try it out!!”

Rain · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 7, 2020

EluRyng (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “Reading some of the negative reviews...I have to say I had the opposite experience. I felt horrible with the nuvaring, I had really bad headaches, mood swings, spotting, no sex drive and felt very tired. I was switched to this by the pharmacy and I thought I was finally getting used to the Nuvaring until I realized it was a different ring. Now, I’m not going to say they were no side effects with the eluryng but they were very mild, just some light spotting but not as bad as with the nuvaring. I think people with negative experiences are more likely to write reviews so I wanted to share my experience.”

Anonymous December 3, 2009

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “For those of you experiencing negative side effects... I was on NuvaRing for 4 years. During that time I became depressed, and cramps and back pain were unbearable. I have discontinued use of NR and feel better. All side effects are gone! When I discussed this with my Dr., she stated that some women naturally produce a normal level of hormones. When these women are on birth control, it can cause all of these side effects due to having an elevated level of hormones. The opposite effect happens to women that don't naturally produce a normal level of hormones, leading them to actually feel better and not have all of these side effects. Which is why some women do well and feel great on birth control and others don't.”

K January 1, 2021

EluRyng (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “I have been on Nuvaring for 12 years. Nuvaring has completely helped my Endo and I have had no problems for years. Since I have been on Elyryng (How can we even trust this if they cant spell RING right?) I have had nonstop breakthrough bleeding, cramps, headaches, leg pain and numbness, and of course symptoms like tender boobs, bloating, even horrible stomach issues. I also noticed the coloration on the ring itself is not like Nuvaring. Nuvaring goes in clear and stays clear mostly for about 2 weeks, 3 weeks then starts to turn an off yellow color when the hormones fade and it's time for your period. This Eluryng will only stay clear for about a week and loose its hormones QUICKER which is WHY I think we are having all this breakthrough bleeding or off time periods! This is not okay!”

Anonymous March 3, 2011

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “I have been on Nuva Ring for over 4 years and it was the best decision I ever made after being on the pill for a few years. It works fantastic and even if it slips out during sex, you can have it out for up to three hours and still be protected. I never got pregnant using this method and have been having unprotected sex with my boyfriend the entire time I've been on it. I had no negative side effects and my periods definitely lightened. There are so many mixed reviews that I wanted to say how wonderful this method was for me but reviews can't tell you anything about how your body will react to hormones. All you need to do is try it for yourself and if it doesn't work, try something else.”

Jmic · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 15, 2020

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “I have been on Nuvaring since November of 2017. I loved to be able to control if I had a period or not. I didn’t have any issues what’s so ever until Jan 2020. I went to pick up my prescription and was given the newly released Generic version of this. It has been absolutely horrible. It is now mid Feb and I have been sporadically heavy bleeding (pantiliners can’t even handle it) ever since I put this new ring in on 1/28/2020. The generic version of this is horrible and besides the constant bleeding I am now emitting a horrible and embarrassing vaginal odor. I called the pharmacy and per insurance if there’s a generic I have to use it. So I’m probably just going to stop using it and I hope to find another method of BC that works great like the Nuvaring (actual brand) did.”

Frustrated · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 27, 2020

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “I used Nuvaring for 2 years without much problems, but the month I discontinued it I developed vulvodynia. This is an extremely painful condition that does not have good treatment options. I have become disabled and unable to have children. There are published studies on the effects of hormonal birth control and risk of vulvodynia. Please be careful and do your research first. I unknowingly took this medication 13 years ago and my body will never be the same.”

That One Girl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 4, 2021

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “At first NuvaRing was amazing. I’ve been on every kind of birth control imaginable (all with bad side effects) and this was by far the best... until it wasn’t. I had a major depressive episode and felt absolute despair for months without realizing it was caused by this medication. I was in the process of finding a counsellor because I felt miserable and was making everyone around me miserable. I was so angry all the time and had no interest in doing anything, ever. I had chalked it up to stressors in my life until we decided to try for a baby. After about a week without it all of a sudden it was like the sun was shining and the birds were singing again.”

Womensrightsmatter · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 22, 2020

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “I used to be on multiple different pills, all of which gave me the WORST anxiety and mood swings I have ever seen. I literally used to be scared of aliens in my closet?! So crazy. However, my doctor switched me to nuvaring and oh my goodness it has been a blessing. I do not have any side effects at all! It works so well with my body, especially since it’s a consistent low hormone dose I don’t get the hormonal mood swings and ups and downs like I did with a daily pill. I love this birth control and am so glad I switched 6 months ago. Each method works different for each person, you have to find the one for you. Just be patient, it will happen like it did for me. I love you, nuvaring!”

Periods suck · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2019

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “Personally I have had extremely heavy and bad cramps on my period. I’ve been on birth control since I was 14. I started with the pill but forgot to take it all the time, then I went to the IUD but had extreme weight gain and headaches. My anxiety also worsened with the IUD. I switched to the NuvaRring around 5 months ago and it has been the best decision I’ve made for my reproductive health. My periods are a light spotting my cramps are tolerable and I haven’t gained any weight. Plus my boyfriend can’t feel it during sex. Don’t be afraid of the negative reviews everyone’s body is different and you just need to find what works for you!”

HR October 10, 2020

EluRyng (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “Greetings, for the ones having problems with Eluring, you can call your insurance, they add a note explaining you can’t tolerate the generic. I used this medicine as a substitute of Nuvaring, per my insurance. Physical: extreme ocular migraines for days, chronic fatigue, cystic acne, gained 30 pounds in 6 months. Vaginal smell and discharge even using the ring. Emotional: Executive dysfunction, Extreme anxiety, Overwhelmed feeling all the time. This interacted severely with my ADHD medicine (Vyvanse), I told my psychiatrist how I was feeling and he raised my dosage, it didn’t work. Now back in Nuvaring balancing the Eluring effects, I’m feeling the effects I felt taking Vyvanse for the first time, Eluring interrupted my psychiatric treatment. The extra drug interactions list doesn’t have information about this, this is a very dangerous effect that can get a person to a really bad place. This medicine needs to be recalled, is dangerous.”

Stephenie July 10, 2021

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “The worst experience I ever had with birth control. Nova Ring is not for everyone trust me, I experienced very awful. Side effects it’s definitely something I would never like to experience ever again is very scary - it can change a persons personality. Doctors needs to be honest when prescribing this birth-control. I just pray these hormones leave my body soon because I need to feel like myself again”

Anonymous May 5, 2009

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “This is my second month on Nuvaring and so far I have absolutely no complaints. I love the ease of just inserting it once a month and just removing it 3 weeks later. I have had no mood swings, weight gain nor depression. As a matter of fact I think I have even lost weight because it seems to have subsided my constant cravings. I would definitely recommend Nuvaring to anyone.”

Anonymous August 28, 2008

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “I LOVE NUVARING! I have NO side effects and my doctor said it was safe to use it continuously each month, how convenient is that! I get to pick and choose when I have my cycle and I insert it and forget about it for the month, it's the most idiot proof product ever.”

Donottake December 30, 2020

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “I am 31 years old and this was my first time using BC other than condoms. I do not recommend. I am naturally a very relaxed and happy person and this ring made me extremely depressed and contemplating suicide. I was so angry after only about 3 weeks of use and it scared both myself and my partner. The Nuvaring shook my relationship and caused my partner and I to fight so much because of my uncontrollable anger. The night I removed the ring (3 weeks in), I remember feeling suicidal. That’s terrifying! I hope no one ever feels this way— especailly due to birth control. Stay safe out there and please do your research! This ring is way more harmful than I ever expected it to be. Now (1 week out) I can finally say I feel happy and so relaxed again. Never again will I use the Nuvaring.”

Nuvaring only for me · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 7, 2020

EluRyng (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “Thank you for validating something is different with the generic for Nuvaring. I was on the brand Nuvaring for over 10 years up until February 2020. I was surprised when I received my mail order delivery that the packing looked different-generic ring. I never had any issues with the Nuvaring until I started the generic. I had intermittent spotting for the first month, felt bloated, and didn’t start my cycle on time. I tried again the second month, same thing. The third month I decided I would experiment and go off of the generic. The spotting stopped, it took 6+ weeks for my cycle to resume. This is the second month off, no spotting so far. I’m am going back to my Obgyn to ask for a new prescription for the brand Nuvaring. I know it works for me. I would rather have a copay than mess with my hormones again.”

Katie · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 6, 2020

EluRyng (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “I was on this for 3 months (I ususally have nuvaring and they didn’t tell me they changed it) but I've had the worst 3 months of my life. I’ve gained weight, gotten stretch marks everywhere even tho my weight gain wasn’t significant, I’ve had horrible headaches, missed my period all 3 months. I’ve been so anxious and moody, tired all the time. The other night I started having horrible heart palpations and I ended up having a panic attack and throwing up. I felt like my heart was going to explode. I thought I was insane, so I googled the birth control because there was no other cause and I read all these and I took my ring out a week early. I’m already starting to feel more normal. This shouldn’t be legal. I went and bought the nuva ring out of pocket the other day for $177. I’m lucky I can afford it, it’s ridiculous that Insurance will put women through this to save a couple bucks”

Grace · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 6, 2020

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “I had a HORRIBLE experience with nuvaring. I’ll admit it was nice not having to worry about taking a pill every day, but I experienced awful side effects. It caused me to become extremely depressed and anxious and lowered my libido. My doctor told me I wouldn’t be able to feel it during intercourse, but I could and it was so uncomfortable - sometimes even painful. If needed you can take it out for up to 3 hours but it’s inconvenient to have to do that. I also had severe period cramps while using this. I personally do not recommend nuvaring.”

Aub · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 18, 2020

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “I mean, I didn’t get pregnant so that’s cool and all but I gained thirty pounds, was suddenly covered in stretch marks, couldn’t bear the idea of sex anymore and when I did try to have sex it was immensely painful. Mood swings like crazy; crying one second laughing the next. Really bad fatigue and paranoia. Migraines 2-3x a week, body pains, horrible cramps, and it put me on my period for over 6 months! I mean, but I didn’t get pregnant.”

Anonymous December 21, 2009

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “Just so everyone on here knows, it is not just Nuvaring that kills your sex drive, all hormonal contraceptives do it. As far as the people gaining weight, my doctor said he's never heard of it with the Nuvaring and if you do gain weight its just water weight. Nuvaring is a great birth control, I have tried Yaz and Yazmin and had severe mood issues. If you have that with the Nuvaring you just have to try something else because it does not work for you. Not all birth control work for everyone!”

Kerry101010 August 25, 2014

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel): “I'm always tired and moody! I always feel sad and get angry and rageful very easily. I'm emotional and I no longer feel the desire to do the things I used to enjoy, waking up is a task every morning, my job has become more difficult and I feel like I've lost all my motivation, I can't wait too be off the Nuvaring I'm hoping I can go on an IUD or something better. I haven't gained any weight and I've been on it for two years but the side effects just aren't worth it. My husband and I seem to argue more and more. My breasts hurt all the time I feel nauseous and sick constantly and the smells of certain food make me sick. I might as well be pregnant.”