User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel

Also known as: NuvaRing

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/etonogestrel.

Birth Control 845 reviews 300 medications

6.7
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 5 reviews 109 medications

3.6
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/etonogestrel reviews 850 reviews 5.1

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/etonogestrel

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Took this for three months but had to stop. Reasons I didn't like it: My partner could feel it EVERY time we had sex. Stinging during and after sex. My boobs were always sore and heavy. Headaches. Bloated constantly. Itching. Depression. Anxiety. When the anxiety got so bad that I couldn't sleep at night I took it out and felt much better within 2 days. Wish it would have worked for me because I don't like taking a pill everyday."

nothanks331 October 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "The Nuvaring personally helped me because I was on the depo shot for about 7 months and I gained so much weight and constantly wanted to eat. Once I got off of the shot I decided I’d try the ring because someone I knew has been on it for years. Once I got on it, I started seeing progress after working out and dieting . It does decrease your sex drive but I don’t really care"

Anonymous1234567654 October 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "The Nuva ring is awesome For me. I can control my periods. I haven’t gain a massive amount of weight. I’ve been on it for 4 months now. Only Con: it’s a bit uncomfortable during the beginning of intercourse. But the pain leaves after a few minutes(really minor discomfort)"

Ds1022 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Okay so I used NV when I was a late teen with no complications whatsoever. I'm 32 year old now and just recently started back on it again after my c-section. This has been the worst birth control experience of my life. I've used it for 3 weeks and ended up with horrible headaches, extreme cramping in my stomach for a week now non stop, feeling delusional and very irritable with no sex drive what so ever when before taking this I've always had a very high sex drive. I've been breastfeeding and flow isn't all that good anymore, but worst of all, I have found myself so hard on myself and so depressed and its been beyond my control. Felt like I needed to seek help. After reading about side effects I have figured out where the problem was coming from. No more NV 4 me."

Cococat24 (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I enjoy this birth control. I was apprehensive to using it because of the reviews, but it's kind of luck when it comes to taking any form of birth control. I went with nuvaring because my my mom used it and said she had no side effects. A bit of background info: we both suffer from severe depression. I've been using it for two months. There are only a few effects I've experienced: breast growth, a few weeks light period, increase in sex drive, maybe motion sickness. The long period comes from me trying to cheat the system and insert it early to end my period on the 4th week, which is safe. I think all it did was slow it down. With the motion sickness, I don't know if it's the BC, but I experience car sickness when I drive now."

alexho October 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Do not use this form of birth control! I have had it for 2 months and I’ve taken it out after a week each time due to increased blood pressure, anxiety, depression, and insomnia. I’ve been on the pill and had depo no issues in the past. Worst form of birth control I’ve experienced. Save yourself the trouble and DO NOT USE THIS!"

KatieR90 October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "This has been a horrific 3 months for me. Let me start by saying I have gained about 15 lbs in 3 months and my breasts have grown 2 cup sizes. They are tender, to the point where hugging my boyfriend hurts. I am extremely athletic and just couldn't understand why suddenly I couldn't work-out. I have no energy, I've been drinking triple the amount of caffeine that I usually do. My biggest change was a COMPLETE loss in my sex drive. I've barely touched my boyfriend in 3 months. I am moody, emotional, feel drained all the time and literally hate myself. I read all these reviews, ran to the bathroom and took it out! I do not recommend this to anyone!"

RMona (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "After my second baby, I was having problems with pain during sex (9 months to a year post partum). My doctor prescribed the nuvaring to treat that issue as well as provide some birth control. The first two weeks I had this in were a dream! No side effects, nothing negative. After that I was so nauseous I was constantly taking zofran and reglan and could barely function. After 6 weeks I had lost 10 pounds and decided to take it out. I wish it wouldn't have been so bad or I would have stuck it out."

IJCE307 September 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I had severe headache and mood swings elevated high blood pressure..so much pain. In my ovaries. I'm over 43. Doctor recommended birth control because I deal with hormone changes every month my body breaks down. Specially before my menstrual cycle. I was diagnosed with PMDD and severe blood clots every month. My daughter deals with it and now, I'm afraid for my granddaughter. I'm close to have cancer for 3rd time. Whatever you decide what kind of birth control you will use. Do if blood work first before you start using birth control...make sure you're healthy before you'd use the birth control it might cause defect in your body. In the future."

Over 43 September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "The worst thing I could have ever put in my body. Nuvaring made me so nauseated I was throwing up for 2 weeks straight. If you have a small cervix this is not for you the damn thing is like the size of my uterus. i literally had to have my boyfriend put it in for me because my fingers were too short. This also caused irritation to my inner labia upon insertion and if u have nails you will end up cutting yourself down there. I took it out after 3 weeks of absolute hell. It was unmanageable "

Curlygirly (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "The nuvaring has been OK for me with the exception of making me feel like I have an UTI on and off. It has dramatically increased vaginal discharged and causes some itchiness. I think this is what leads to the bladder irritation that feels like a UTI. I've also gotten some headaches and noticed some bloating around my abdomen. All in all I am probably going off of the ring. I'm scared of any birth control at this point. They all have side effects."

Rose nyc (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Great birth control that was easy convenient. All I did was just put it in for three weeks, forget about it, and then take it out after the three weeks is up. Sometimes I would have to take it out during sex, although other than that I did not experience any discomfort or it slipping out. This birth control did not make me gain any weight except for my boobs. I did experience vaginal dryness and extreme decrease in my sex drive, which really made sex unpleasurable at times. This birth control made me extremely tired all the time. I would just sleep for hours on and had little to no energy. I am currently off this bc due to that side effect. Caused me to have cystic acne after 5 months."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Hey! I am super on top of things and birth control pills were still not my thing. I suffered from dryness and irritation. Worst of all I lost my sex drive. I started the NuvaRing because its simple yet effective. I only have had it for a bit now and I have 0 dryness. I love it!"

kir! (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been on the Nuva Ring for exactly a year and I have stopped it for good. It is definitely very convenient, however I developed severe mood swings and anxiousness while on this form of birth control. I am a very positive/motivated person with absolutely no history of anxiety or depression. After being on this, I would catch myself crying for absolutely no reason, especially while drinking alcohol! I also lost about 10-15 pounds. I am about to start "Lolo" which is advertised as a lower dosage. Pros: Lost weight, regulated acne, low maintenance Cons: Increased anxiety and emotions"

Klo2 August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I was on nuvaring for 8 months. Starting in January, it was great, I was mostly acne free and wasn't having too many mood swings. At about June, my acne became cystic, extremely painful and I could barely move my face without pain. I gained 20 lbs and could not lose it with dieting and working out. I took it out two days ago because I'm positive that things will change."

Sandy1112 August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "My skin was clear & I didn't get pregnant or gain weight but I got severely depressed & anxious on the pill. Then when I went off of it my hair started falling out in chunks & hasn't stopped... that was 8 months ago... don't recommend"

Anonymous August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Used it for years when I was a teenager, never had problems. Went off it for a few years, felt like it was important to give the hormones a break/let my body reset, balance itself out. Went back on it (I'm 26 now). Only been back on it for a little over 6 months-- this 2nd time around hasn't been so awesome. Makes my periods lighter/shorter/less crampy which is convenient, but I'm tired of the dryness/itching/discharge. My vagina is some level of irritated/inflamed/bothered, pretty much 24/7. Sexdrive lower, and some anxiety/nervousness/depression (tho its hard to tell if its 100% because of the ring). Headaches/nausea, can't have sex without lube. Nice to be able to have unprotected sex, but only if you can enjoy it. Not ovulating is weird"

Laylahhh August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I only lasted 6 weeks on the nuvaring. I experienced several side effects. Vaginal discomfort, headaches, ache, depression, fatigue, mild nausea, complete loss of sex drive, and a weird sense of feeling unbalanced, but not quite dizzy. I also experienced an uncommon side effect where my cervix became so swollen I thought my uterus was prolapsing. After 3 weeks I started spotting. I switched it out at 4 weeks for a new ring and had breakthrough bleeding. I finally decided to just take it out because my swollen cervix was really freaking me out and I'm now on day 20 of a messed up period. I passed a large amount of tissue a couple days ago and had a ruptured cyst this morning. Neither of those have ever happened to me before."

Dean021 August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I was on NR for 3 yrs the first time (mid 20s) and I absolutely loved it. It was SO convenient to only think about my birth control 2x a month instead of daily. I did not experience any side effects or weight gain, and my periods were light and short (only 3 days by the end). Now, 10 years later (mid 30s) I am back on NR. It has been 6 months and unfortunately, I have noticed I get very emotional the week before my period. I will cry over the most insignificant things and I am moody and angry to the point that I can hardly control my temper, even in professional situations at work. I am generally a happy person and have never had these kinds of issues before. Reluctantly, I must quit NR :( Best wishes everyone."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Personally I LOVE nuvaring. I hated the pill could never remember to take it. With the ring leave it in 3 wks or 3wks n 2 days take it out for 4 days allow myself to spot to make sure I'm still good and put it back in. Dr told me I didn't even need to do that. I can leave it in for 4wks bc I didn't need my cycle regulated I just didn't want the menstrual cycle or pains lol. I can pick and choose if or when I want a cycle - I love that freedom. Hardly felt it at all. It has only come out during sex twice. Great concept. CONS 1st time putting it in disaster lol. Even now after 5yr being on it I have slight trouble here and there putting it in bc I'm dry. Sex drive decreased. Angry ALL THE TIME it seems like. Depression spells. Issues with my contacts"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on nuvaring for several years and I absolutely love it. I insert a ring every 3 weeks for 3 months then take it out for 1 week to allow a period. This is what my doctor suggested and I was all for having only 4 periods a year. The only side effect I have are mild leg cramps that Motrin can take care of. This is a very effective birth control. It does become a little hard sometimes to insert or take out the ring but you can always have your partner help you."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I started to notice a pattern that the day I would insert it, for the next 24 hrs following insertion, I was incredibly naeusous, but I dealt with it. The reason I ultimately got off of it was because after 7 months of severe anxiety, mood swings, and angry outburst with no explanation, I figured out that it could potentially be my Nuva Ring. I'm a 23 yr old, active student/teacher. I lost all motivation to get through the day or go to the gym. I constantly picked fights with loved ones, and I was so hard on myself and my personal appearance. I turned into someone I wasn't. Was going to therapy 2 times a week for 4 months, trying to figure out what triggered my anxiety. Got off of NR once I put 2 and 2 together. Finally back to my normal self."

TGri (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been using the Nuvaring for a few months now. In this time I lost my virginity and it was extremely painful and I had no sex drive. I figured the pain was just from the first time but the pain continued every time I had intercourse and I rarely even wanted to have sex; because it hurt and I had no sex drive. My boobs have grown a size and I have gained approximately 10 pounds. I thought there was something wrong with my body and the low sex drive was a symptom of depression. After reading the reviews I feel so relieved to know there's nothing wrong with me. I've decided to switch birth controls, however other than those side effects, the nuvaring has kept me from getting pregnant and regulated my period"

livy8383 July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "The NuvaRing at first was odd for me bc iIwas scared it was going to fall out, but if it is pushed inside it should stay in place and still work. I'm very active and I've had no problems with this. At first I did have some light bleeding and more recently I've have light brown discharge, but I've read that this is completely normal and that the nuvaring is still working. I have experienced some bloating and headaches easily but it's usually around a certain time of the month. my sex drive seems fine, it might have gone away for a few weeks but that could have also been due to stress. (FYI my doctor told me to keep it in for 4 weeks, bc I am using it for birth control and not to regulate my periods)"

DaniB123 July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been on nuvaring for about 6 years. PROS: I've never gotten pregnant. My boobs went up 2 cup sizes. its not uncomfortable at all. It regulated my period. Much easier than the pill, you put it in, then you can forget about it for 3 weeks. But the BEST THING for me was that it cleared my acne. CONS: I am moody, more depressed, will cry for any little thing. I have always been 110 pounds my whole life with tiny fluctuations now I'm heading towards 125 pounds! No sex drive at all. Broke up with my boyfriend of 5 years because we never had sex. It gives me constant BV and daily vaginal discharge which is the worst side effect to me. I have decided to stop it. I'm sick of having BV, and I don't want to gain any more weight."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 20, 2017