User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel

Also known as: NuvaRing

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/etonogestrel.

Birth Control 741 reviews 292 medications

6.8
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 4 reviews 169 medications

4.2
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/etonogestrel reviews 745 reviews 5.5

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/etonogestrel

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "The first day I put the ring in, I had extremely bad cramps. I thought it was normal due to the fact that it was new. These cramps were followed by such severe abdominal pain I was not able to walk or drive for a period of time. Shortly after, I began having pain in my leg that would not go away. I have been on the ring a month now and my LEG PAIN is still there. I have serious feelings of depression, no appetite, nausea after eating, and NO ENERGY! I can barely make it 6 hours into the day before I need to lie down. After reading about the life threatening blood clots the leg pain may lead to, I decided to take it out. Although it works, it is not worth the pain."

case1234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2016

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Has anyone on here tried Nuvaring and had an extremely poor experience? I was looking for new BC and my doctor recommended Nuvaring. NEVER AGAIN. EVER. I have only had it in for two days and have felt very nauseous, extremely tired, dizzy, angry, depressed, and have had a terrible headache and cramping. I've been so dizzy and my stomach has hurt so bad I couldn't even get out of bed. As soon as I put it in I immediately felt different and in the most awful way. I just took it out and I'm throwing the rest away. Like I said, never again. I've heard some people have great experiences with it, but that certainly wasn't mine. I just want to feel normal again and hopefully will soon. Anyone else experience symptoms like this while using it?"

E$ December 1, 2016

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "So I switched from the pill which was great aside from having to remember to take it. The NR isn't terrible but I will be switching back cause out how broken out its caused my face to be (i never, aside from the day my period starts, get breakouts) I don't like how much it has increased my discharge or the feel of it rubbing during intercouse. I was hoping this would help with decreasing the emotional effects that I was having with the pill but only a month in and it's the same. Also it wraps around my cervix making it very aggravating to remove or check its position."

Wahwah (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2016

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Terrible mood swings, cramps all month long, constantly bloated, made my periods way worse, and there was an irritating discharge. Never again. I'd rather have to remember to use the pill every day. Plus, doctors have told my friends that haven't had kids yet they can't use it, and I can't find any information as to why."

Jessde November 25, 2016

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I started NuvaRing at 13 to regulate my heavy periods. I'm 23 now, still on it and love it. Here's the basics: -Never falls out, can't feel it at all (unless it's not put in right or if you have a wider/tilted uterus) -Husband is large and can't stand it, so I put it back in after intimacy. -If I forget/lose it, I just put a new one in for 3 more weeks (skip a period, whoop!) -I have never refridgerated mine, the teens don't need to see that in there lol -no cramps, bloating, acne, weight gain, etc. (I eat a lot so i'm not gonna blame my anti-baby meds for my own bad habits) -no mood swings, sex drive hasn't changed, periods are lighter/are over quicker than before. -no insurance? Forget it. These freaking things are $150 a pop."

CarolineLove15 November 22, 2016

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "So I read alot of bad reviews on it, knowing that people only write reviews if they have bad experiences. Well I decided to take a shot at it. I am a week since first putting it in. I am having a lot of discharge, and my vagina is really raw. My boyfriend can feel it during sex, and it burns his penis. I am not having any depression, but I am super irritable, and have mood swings. I wouldn't say don't try it, but it isn't for everyone."

Dhjdbsjdbsifbdj November 22, 2016

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "MAKE SURE YOU ARE AWARE OF THE SIDE EFFECTS OF THE NUVARING IF USING FOR THE 1ST TIME. My Dr didn't give me much info other than the brochure and I wasn't prepared for the roller coaster 5 days I had (yep that's all I lasted). Nauseous, sweaty, extremely tired, lethargic, unhappy, starving then not hungry at all, cramps, itchiness, headaches, dehydrated, fuzzy head, cough, teary EXTREMELY teary, anxious, nervous, irritable.. you name it I had it! After a very scary panic attack driving home from work I ripped it out and will not try it again. two days later I feel myself again after using the pill for 14 years I'm not new to hormonal BC and I would not recommend this to anyone I know. it was extremely scary becoming a crazy person!"

ashhhhau (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2016

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I started using the NuvaRing right after my wedding about two months ago. I was looking for a better alternative than the pill. But since then, my moods have drastically changed. I feel like I'm always angry and I can't even stand my husband sometimes. My husband and friends tell me they've notice a huge change in my mood. I have very little tolerance and will go 0 to 100 real quick!! I'll cry over anything and I just can't stand myself sometimes. I have not gained any weight and it has not affected intercourse but it may cost me my relationship. Definitely switching back to the pill. My friends are also on the Ring and have no complaints...so it may depend."

anonymous0104 November 17, 2016

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "After 2 months of having it, felt lightheaded. Then the next cycle had depression and panic attacks that I have never had before. I took it out 2 months ago. I still haven't had a normal period. I get hot flashes and migraines every day. I've never had migraines before. I also have horrible breast pain. I should have stayed on the pill."

Whut (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2016

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I loved the freedom this method gave me, as it somehow makes you feel in control to be able to take the ring out if you don't like it or if it irritates you (after a year of paragard, this was a nice change). However, this method gave me terrible and recurring yeast infections. I was only able to use this for about 3-4 months before I felt too irritated (and financially strapped) to keep using it. Also, keeping them in the fridge was a little awkward."

SkippingtheAngryAuntFlo (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2016

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I love my Nuva ring. I was on it a couple of years ago but had to stop because my insurance wasn't covering it 100%. I got a mirena IUD instead. After a year of being miserable with the IUD, I had it removed and went back to Nuva ring which my insurance is now covering again. I haven't had any side effects that are different from regular birth control pills. I actually have less problems because I would immediately start my period if I was even a couple of hours late taking my pill. It is very convenient and I don't have problems with it falling out. My partner says he can occasionally feel it during sex but that it isn't uncomfortable. There are risks with the NR just like with any form of birth control or with pregnancy."

ChristyG November 6, 2016

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I love that I only have to think about my birth control twice a month. It's easy to use. That being said, after about six months of use, I realized that I was noticeably more anxious, depressed, and emotional. Where I've had problems with anxiety before, I more frequently have panic attacks, a rapid heartbeat, and a tight chest. I find it hard to fall asleep at night, and hard to get out of bed in the morning. Maybe the worst part is that I have a very low libido. There will be times when I do have a desire to have sex with my SO, but my body doesn't respond or tenses up quickly. Otherwise, I don't think about intercourse nearly as much as I used to."

Anonamoose November 4, 2016

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "My wife recently spent a week in the hospital including 3 days in neurological ICU because of a blood clot in her brain. She had 17 mini strokes and almost died. Oh, and she's only 25. She doesn't smoke, didn't hit her head, and no family history of blood clots. The neurosurgeon said it was because of the nuvaring. So please, don't even try it. I don't want anyone to have to go through that"

JamminEMG November 2, 2016

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I had a 2 month sample to try from my midwife because I was tired of taking a daily pill. The first month, I was extremely irritable, angered quickly for no reason. I felt bloated all the time and I started breaking out. After the first month, my skin cleared up, and I went "back to normal." Overall, it is a great concept, but I can never keep the NuvaRing in place. It constantly moves around and will sometimes stay by the cervix, and other times will fall down and feel like it's going to fall right out, which I can't stand. I constantly have to go back and push it into place, which is very irritating. My husband said he couldn't feel the ring during sex, but I could feel it moving against my vaginal wall. I am going back to the pill."

nuvaring_attempt November 1, 2016

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I previously did a review on Nuva Ring about a year ago and I have to say my opinion hasn't changed much. It's very easy to use, my skin is clear, my periods are much more tolerable, I have gained about 15-20 pounds within the last year, but I was only 105 lbs, so I look healthier and my breasts are a lot larger. A couple things I've noticed is that my breasts are extremely tender and my sex drive is unfortunately VERY low. Still a very good, effortless birth control."

Geneesga (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 1, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I used NuvaRing in response to not having a period for three months, having horrible constant cramps, PMS like moods that never stopped. Before NuvaRing I was not on birth control. Two or three days after inserting NuvaRing I developed hideous acne on my previously perfect skin and felt extremely dizzy and a little nauseous. I immediately removed it without consulting my gyno. My periods returned with me now using super plus tampons instead of super. I got tired of looking at all the blood. Cramps improved mildly. My mood was still off. I went to a clinic months later and they informed me that NuvaRing produced blood clots. I was instructed to take aspirin to thin my blood and couldn't so took Tylenol instead."

Fsgjugc October 28, 2016

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "This is my second week with my first nuvaring. So far I don't like it, my face has broken out. I have the worst stomach pain and migraines!!!!! Yesterday I thought I was dying, my whole body was shaking because it hurt so bad! Overall the NR makes me feel like I'm dying from the inside "

Anonymous October 28, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I'm currently on the Mirena and have been for the last 7 years. My doctor prescribed the Nuvaring it for ovarian cyst suppression. My sex drive went from very high to non-existent. I took it out this morning."

Afrhodisia (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2016

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "So I'm still currently on NR. And I'm not sure how I feel about it, I'm finding that I'm alot more dry, harder to get turned on and really not wanting to have sex in general. I also feel like I'm having crazy mood swings angry ones. Since starting this form of birth control my relationship has ended because I'm to angry (he says which I kind of agree with) I feel depressed constantly I can't stop crying ever. And I'm normally a very happy go luck kinda gal. Not sure what to do at this point if I should take it out or see how it goes..."

PinkMontana (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 21, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "After I had a reaction to Marvelon, my gyn gave me this saying that I would have a continuous supply of hormones never dropping. No mood swings or panic attacks like on Marvelon but instead I got really bad vaginal pain. I had swollen up to the point that I couldn't put tampons in during that period. Needless to say if your allergic to latex and other plastics this might not be the method for you."

Endogal (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2016

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on the ring for several months. I really like it: it's easy to insert, it's simple to take out and it's very comfortable. My skin in very clear-it could be from the ring. Very happy with it. I've had sex a few times with it inside. My partner is well endowed and didn't feel it at all. I don't plan on taking it out during sex. The only complaints I have is that it made me a little irritable at the beginning and the hormones have increased my appetite. Right now I am in the process of leaving it in continuously so that's I don't get anemia. I have awful PMDD and also have a tendency to become anemic. Can't wait to never get it again. I've tried a bunch of birth control pills: horrible side effects. Love the ring!"

Mercy Rada (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2016

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "The first month was great aside from acne and stomach cramps. The second month was horrible. On top of the acne and stomach cramps, I was very sensitive during intercourse, I was unable to sleep and had horrible dreams every night. I also became manic-depressive, more so on the depressed side. I did gain a little extra weight but not too much."

chamabahama (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2016

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I thouroughly enjoyed NR it was my first real birth control. I was on it for about 9 months. Around 5 months I started to feel like I had an STD when I got checked it was nothing. Around the same time I was experiencing sooooo much excess discharge and that's when i decided to switch, but for the most part i loved it."

cakeykk October 10, 2016

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on it for 5 months now...during the 3rd month, I started bleeding (at first I thought it was spotting, but it lasts for like 2 weeks). No acne, no itchiness, some slight mood swings but I've gained weight and my sex drive is gooone.I was on beyaz before but switched because my new insurance company didn't cover beyaz. It's nice not having to remember to take a pill, but I'm calling my Doctor to recommend something else."

Greeneyedgirl07 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2016

NuvaRing (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on this medication for about 2 months and I've already gained 15 pounds. I'm not complaining about bigger boobs and a bigger butt, but when your starting weight is only 102 gaining that much weight makes me feel huge! I initially went on it to help with bleeding between periods and it did a great job of stopping that, but I'm scared to keep taking it because I'm gaining soooo much weight!"

NuvaNope October 7, 2016