User Reviews for Enbrel

Learn more about Enbrel.

Enbrel Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 369 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Enbrel to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"Enbrel has done a fantastic job of relieving the inflammation and pain associated with my severe RA. I began Enbrel three weeks after surgery unrelated to RA. Almost overnight the inflammation in my hands and the painful joints disappeared after the first injection. Have not experienced any bad side-effects to date, other than some minor sinus issues. I eat raw local honey each day, two tablespoons morning and evening to help keep me healthy. Am on Methotrexate 10 mg injection once a week, as well as Enbrel 50 mg injection once a week. Tried going off Methotrexate, but was back on it after ten days as apparently Enbrel alone is not quite enough to treat my RA."

RA-Don (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My hands have been deteriorating rapidly, they'd closed into a fist and could barely open them, was in pain every day that only huge doses of prednisone (not prescribed) helped. A few days after my first injection the pain was gone and my hands opened up again. I'm hoping this continues to be the case."

Eostara (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Used for about two years. Injection site skin discoloration. Lost effectiveness and caused secondary reaction."

gdvv January 30, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've gone from 6 sulfasalazine, 1× 15mg tablet form of methotrexate, 4 naproxen and 1 omeprazole a day to only my 1× Enbrel injection and 1× methotrexate injection a week and am 100% better. I'm still exhausted and occasionally have puffy hands but pain and inflammation are gone."

Shellbel (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 28, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took Enbrel with methotrexate for four years and it worked great. Developed optic neuritis in right eye and discontinued it. Optic neuritis is inflamation of the optic nerve and is one of the neurological disorder side effects of the drug. Changed diet to eliminate red meat and poultry and sugar and take natural supplements."

Bob H. California (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 20, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took 1 injection. Found out I could not afford it because Medicare won't pay. Have never experienced a FLAIR of this nature. I am in so much pain it is unbearable. Hope it goes away soon. I cannot bear it!"

LisaDo1965 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took Enbrel for AS for about 3 years. I noticed a huge improvement in joint swelling after the first dose. Enbrel really helped my joints feel great. I was even able to attend aerobic classes! Unfortunately, on year three of treatment, I developed a life threatening infection in my spine. I also suffered heart valve damage. Both of these were declared to be due to the Enbrel. I knew the risks when I began taking this drug. It gave me almost three years of feeling great and leading a normal life. It also almost killed me...."

cowgirl78 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 29, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Enbrel for about 8 years and it has been the best experience for me. I had to go off of it for a short time due to surgery and my husband had to help me up out of bed and to even walk because I was in so much pain without it. It is a life changing experience that I don't know what I would do without it."

Elmaab October 5, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"ive been on enbrel for 2 months i have not had any changes. i have diabetes and have pins and needles sticking my feet legs hands. my pins and needles have gotten worst. my joints hurt a lot worst. im trying to keep hope that it will kick in soon. but im getting weary"

polotics September 20, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I do have the medication with me(Enbrel) but Im unable to pinch myself due to my damaged fingers because of arthtritis , I went with a nurse to teach me how to do it but was impossible for me to grab the pen I have no grip abilities, tomorrow I will see my R doc to see if a have another options on how to do it, I live by myself and there's no one around to help, and my question is what's the reason nurses woud'nt do it in the office?? Im willing to pay for this service since I can't do it . I need your comments please ?"

kasiloka September 13, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am starting my first shot of Enbrel next week. I am scared to death of the side effects. I have been on Prednisone and Leflunomide for about 6 months and it has helped, but I am not getting the full relief he had hoped for, so my doctor decided to try weekly Enbrel shots. Feeback? Good or bad experience on Enbrel?"

Anonymous September 7, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Well it's been an hour and a half since my first injection by my doctor in my arm and I feel like a giddy space cadet mentally compared to the insomniatic, sleepless, suicidally depressed wreck that I've been for decades. I started off with misdiagnosed JRA called "growing pains" by my inept pediatrician when i was a child and after it never cleared up I went to see a specialist at age 15 then diagnosed with JRA. It went into a remission in my late teens early twenties then crept back up badly about 6 years ago. I tried every anti-inflammatory in the book and methotrexate with no success only prednisone helped but made me a wee bit too violently insane at times. Basically it's working good so far. 10 stars for enbrel."

ToxicEstates (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I began taking Enbrel in 2008 for severe RA after a year of trying a series of other drugs. I lforgot I had RA. Last Nov. I stopped taking it because I had to be on chemo. Things were fine until April when I went into a full blown flare. Extreme morning stiffness lasted 6 hours or more. My thumbs were virtually useless. I hobbled like I was 95 years old with excruciating pain in my feet, knees, hips and neck. I took morphine which did little to suppress the pain. After consulting with my oncologist and rheumatologist I took my first injection of Enbrel in June - expecting it to take another month or longer to stop the flare. I felt much relief 2 days later. Now I'm almost back to normal."

Kishcakes August 20, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put on Enbrel in 2007. The change it has made in the quality of my life is amazing. I prefer the mix-it-yourself 25 mg vials because they don't have preservative like the pre-filled syringes, which causes the horrible burning sensation. These also have tiny thin needles, which make the shot almost pain free. I haven't had psoriasis since about 2008, and my rheumatoid arthritis slowed in progression considerably."

Marsha from California (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 17, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It is too expensive and the Amgen company will not help low income people. The private foundations are out of funding. It is not good."

scottfreed April 17, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had RA for two years now. Started MTX about 7 months ago. I started to get worse, not able to open bedroom door in the morning. Stiffness lasting most of the morning and joint pain all day. MTX increased to max dosage without improvement. I take MTX injections. Started Embrel a month ago, much improved with first injection. Now morning I do not have a lot of stiffness, still have joint pain but it is improving as well. My RA was rated as severe. I've had no real side affects from either drug. I have muscle pain in my legs which I understand can be a side affect of Embrel but it beats the joint pain. I had read that the Embrel injections were painful. I personally did not find that to be true."

52 year old female (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just wanted to share this in case there are any apprehensive people worried about having to get an injection. This is only my first week on Enbrel, but I feel like I have had some loosening of my joints and a reduction in pain. What I really wanted to share was that the injection is not nearly as scary as it sounds and does not cause a lot of pain. I was so scared to get a shot because of the comments online but my boyfriend finally injected my thigh with the sure click auto injector. IT'S NOT THAT BAD! I did it on my upper thigh and I barely felt any pain at all, I really built it up in my head! The side effects (nausea, diarrhea) are worse than the injection but not so severe. If you are new don't waste your time worrying and good luck!"

moonzzzzzzzzz April 11, 2016

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have severe RA and was started on MTX about 6 months ago already maxed out and pain and inflammation was doing major damage. Two years ago I was running a mile several times a week and when the RA hit I could not even open my bedroom door. Recently was started on Embrel. After the first shot I noticed a 25% improvement with pain and stiffness. I did not find the shot painful as some describe, but I had already been self injecting the MTX. No other side affects thus far. Looking forward to my second injection this week and continued improvement."

Ridenslide (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, the very painful debilitating type less than one year ago I called a rheumatologist. She told me I had every indication of rheumatoid arthritis but I had to tell her one more thing I was HIV-positive. Now most of these medications immediately stated not to take it have an infection. Well what is a person to do I have HIV and that's an infection. She gave me time to hash it out and I thought OK I'm going to try it. Of course it's premeasured syringes refrigerated this is how mine was prepared for me. I injected around the navel Area of abdomen. No real pain and no sensitivity occurred. After being on it for six weeks I went for my laboratory results and my doctor called me early on a Saturday morning and stop medication that has caused neutropenia, look it up very serious had to stop it. Now she wants me on it every other week since my blood work has come back normal again But very conflicted as to whether I should or not. Is there anyone else out there with the same condition I have I would love to hear from you thank you hope this helps."

Mr T. (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So I started Enbrel two days ago and I feel exhausted , nauseous, and have a strange metallic taste in my mouth. Has anyone ever experienced this? I am told I should feel like a new person but I feel uncomfortable."

NewGirlIn Town (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was on enbrel for seven years, got relief after first injection. I developed breast cancer this year and feel that enbrel played a part in bringing it on. I wouldn't change a thing though, I would have been crippled by now, I had good years enjoying life while on enbrel. I can no longer take enbrel, and my RA has gotten so much worse. Also taking prednisone, sulfasalazine, and methotrexate."

Lizzie Girl (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 30, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The new color injectors suck. Harder to push the button and unpredictable on time of injection now tonight the damn thing after 35 seconds didn't retract. When I pulled it away it continues to spray my medicine across the room. Bring back the white sure click."

Shamus Horan (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Enbrel for about 2 1/2 years & have really had no relief. Prior I was on methotrexate & ended up having to see a liver transplant doctor because of an acute drug injury to my liver. I now have to see the transplant doctor every 3 months so I'd rather be on Enbrel than Methotrexate. But honestly I feel the Enbrel is just a waste of my time. I've also tried Cimzia, Celebrex, Vioxx, etc. Yet here I am at 42 unable to lift my grandchild & 2 shoulder surgeries & 2 toe replacements while on Enbrel."

CET December 10, 2015

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had RA for 8 years. I still had much difficulty doing daily activities while on Methotrexate only. I've been on Enbrel for 15 months and now wouldn't be able to function without it. The Sureclick Autoinjector is a convenient method of administration, but is always quite painful and but fortunately over quickly. I'm so thankful to be on Enbrel."

desert dweller (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 22, 2015

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was not diagnosed with RA for 6 years due to being overweight. So, after all the agonizing daily pain I went thru, I finally found a doctor that listened. Actually, I found a nurse practitioner that listened! So on went a 2 year stent of trying methotrexate/steroid combo of what came with no results. I was given Enbrel and a next option. It changed my life!!! By the next day I had 50% pain relief. I have been taking it for a couple of years now and I would say I'm about 80% pain free. I don't have joint swelling at all. But the main affected joints hurt when pushed past their limits. I was taken off enbrel for a short time due to insurance and put on Simponi. Within 1 week all the pain and joint swelling returned. I have no s/e also!"

Life saver!!! September 15, 2015