User Reviews for Enbrel

Enbrel Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 344 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Enbrel to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"I used the Enbrel injection 3 times before I decided to NOT do the 4th injection. After the third injection I had a giant, purple raised, rash everywhere I had injected. 8 days after my third injection I suffered a massive subdural hematoma (brain bleed). On top of that the 8 days after the 3rd injection I had more body pain than I have ever experienced in my life. I would never advise anyone to use this medication!"

BeckyG17 (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2018

"I have been using Embrel for 20 years. I started it in a trial in 1998. I could barely walk at the time and was in constant pain. Except for occasional knee problems I live a normal life with little pain"

Ell (taken for 10 years or more) May 8, 2018

"Just diagnosed with RA at 65 years old. The Enbrel is super expensive! Only on my third injection but nothing positive yet. The actual injection HURTS LIKE HECK but only for about 20 seconds which seem like minutes, then its over with but it really does hurt."

Sandie (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2018

"I was given Enbrel in January and after 3 injections noticed a rash. The rash after a month put me in the hospital. The rash turned into sores on my legs and after 1 month of stopping injections the rash is worsening. I would use this medication with caution. Take notes of side effects daily. For me the rash is an allergic reaction but it still has me in bed and not working. It feels like knives stabbing in my legs. unable to walk. numbness and swelling in my ankles. Something still isn't right. and its been over a month since last injection."

tina1414 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2018

"I've been on Embrel for 3 weeks and its been a game changer to my life. I was on Methotrexate for 4 weeks and realized the pain did not subside. I'm hoping that this will last since I have experienced a few aches but nothing compared to the pain I had before. One MAJOR downside - the injection is very expensive, especially insurance companies in Asia do not cover this particular medicine."

Rui w February 5, 2018

"I was diagnosed with polymyalgia in 2016 at the age of 38. This disease has taking a toll on me especially at night when I sleep. Well one day I could not move my arms legs had pain in my wrist. Then by the next couple days my shoulders and hips started to hurt. I could not comb my hair, open doors. My rhemotolgist dr placed me on 20mg prednisone after a few days I was able to function again. Prednisone doesn't last all day. My dr prescribed embrel last wk. From the second day I was able to move comfortably in bed. I knew it was working. I felt it over night. I'm so grateful. My CED rate was always high at least in the hundreds. Can't wait to see next month's labs. Because I'm feeling better I'm sure the number has gone down. What do you have to lose but the pain. I tried methatrexate and many other pills nothing worked but the steroids. Still feeling the embrel working next shot is tomorrow. So it hasn't worn off. Haven't felt side effects either. That's a plus."

ChrisTina1414 January 29, 2018

"I have been taking Enbrel for a little over 2 yrs Tried MTX, Humira and some other biologic before insurance would pay for Enbrel, which my RA doc says is the "gold" standard treatment. I feel that it helped the first 2 years but after the last few months I've been having more intense side effects - achy legs, lethargy, headaches, injection site reactions and my joints are actually more swollen - especially in the a.m.? I went off it last year for 3 mths just to see what would happen and I felt better (side effect wise) and my RA seemed stable but my labs were abnormal after the 3 mths so my Dr. encouraged me to go back on the Enbrel. Been back on for 3 weeks and feeling very discouraged. Helps with the RA but now living with the side effects."

babysonographer (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2018

"I was one of the first people in England to use this drug over 15 years ago. When I started all the clinicians were very nervous, as was I. My RA was so bad I had little to lose. I am now in the gym at least 3 times a week and hiking regularly. For me it has been literally a life saver and a life changer. Good look to anyone who tries it."

Paddy 16 December 22, 2017

"I live in Western Australia and disturbed by some comments on here. The cost of Embrel is cost of an ordinary prescription $36 for me the government pays the remainder of the cost to the chemist. I also go to the the medical centre every Saturday morning a Dr looks over my prescription and then he advises the nurse to administer the injection also no cost to myself and this is part of nurses duties. I am unsure of the country where people who have made comments referring to cost and that nobody is there to administer the injection for them. I am very lucky to live in Australia as we have the best health system worldwide and everybody is given the opportunity to receive proper medical help whether you are rich or poor there is no discrimination."

Kloppi September 16, 2017

"I developed RA after Breast cancer treatment. After 2 years in terrible pain I started enbrel and the pain was took way like by hand. Stayed with this medication for about 4-5 yrs until the side effect came out. Today I have Multiple Myeloma --an incurable blood cancer with tons of effects and short life. I really don't know if taking Enbrel for RA is worth. Must have an alternative."

DarkBrown September 2, 2017

"I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in January of 2016. Was on methotrexate until March of 2017 with decent improvements. Went on enbrel in March of 2017. Unbelievable results. Feel great. Thanks Amgen!!!"

Phast Phil (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 21, 2017

"ENBREL is a life changer. I tried oral therapy (methotrexate, plaquenil, prednisone, etc), and had severe side effects. With ENBREL, the stabbing sensations of a hot knife twisting in my joints stopped. I inject myself weekly in the abdomen with the SureClick pen. 2 out of 104X the injection site bruised. 2 out of 104x using ENBREL, 2 SureClicks failed to inject. AMGEN replaced for free. Surgeries helped me regain hand and arm strength. My 2-yr follow-up X-ray for my total knee replacement was spot on, despite the permanent RA damage to the femur. Double rhizotomy in cervical spine every 6 mos helps. Will replace damaged forefinger and thumb joints this year. Mountain biking again! Thank God for ENBREL!"

loudwaters (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 15, 2017

"I have been on Enbrel for about 5-6 years roughly, I use to take methotrexate and Enbrel, then I stick to Enbrel and it has stabled my arthritis. I am doing it now every 3 weeks and I find my joints hurt after taking it. The best place to do it in my opinion is the upper leg. Sometimes the area I did my injection would itch but it would dissapear after a couple days. Overall I haven't had much complaints using this medicine, I used the sure click which makes things easier then the automatic one."

Curly Sue101 April 25, 2017

"Was terrified to take this drug, or any drug that they were going to put me on for the arthritis. I took methotrexate, prednisone and plaquenil which just about did nothing. Went to another Rheumatologist who suggested I try enbrel. Put all the fear aside if you're afraid to inject it because it does not hurt at all and you don't even see the needle (I hate needles). I've only been on it for 3 weeks but my pain has just about gone away and this is coming from someone who could barely get out of bed last April. Haven't had any side effects so we will see how it plays out from here."

Ben D April 10, 2017

"I was diagnosed with RA 20 years ago. Never had any serious issues that I could not easily live with until one year ago February. Had a severe flare in shoulders, hands, wrists and other areas. I was put in methotrexate, sulfasalazine and prednisone and plaquinel. Also had several steroid injections. I also needed to take Aleve on a regular basis. I started Enbrel 5 weeks ago. Remarkable results. Haven't taken an Aleve since. I have stopped methotrexate which was giving me a chronic cough. I feel much better."

Phast90 April 7, 2017

"I had one injection of Enbrel in the Dr. office two weeks ago it did such a great job on my knees there was no pain, no swelling I felt normal for a change, I could not believe this drug could do so well. I will finally be starting my weekly injections tomorrow. Boy am I ready! The side effects scare me a little now that I have read these reviews."

friendgal10 March 27, 2017

"Enbrel has done a fantastic job of relieving the inflammation and pain associated with my severe RA. I began Enbrel three weeks after surgery unrelated to RA. Almost overnight the inflammation in my hands and the painful joints disappeared after the first injection. Have not experienced any bad side-effects to date, other than some minor sinus issues. I eat raw local honey each day, two tablespoons morning and evening to help keep me healthy. Am on Methotrexate 10 mg injection once a week, as well as Enbrel 50 mg injection once a week. Tried going off Methotrexate, but was back on it after ten days as apparently Enbrel alone is not quite enough to treat my RA."

RA-Don (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2017

"My hands have been deteriorating rapidly, they'd closed into a fist and could barely open them, was in pain every day that only huge doses of prednisone (not prescribed) helped. A few days after my first injection the pain was gone and my hands opened up again. I'm hoping this continues to be the case."

Eostara (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2017

"Used for about two years. Injection site skin discoloration. Lost effectiveness and caused secondary reaction."

gdvv January 30, 2017

"I've gone from 6 sulfasalazine, 1× 15mg tablet form of methotrexate, 4 naproxen and 1 omeprazole a day to only my 1× Enbrel injection and 1× methotrexate injection a week and am 100% better. I'm still exhausted and occasionally have puffy hands but pain and inflammation are gone."

Shellbel (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 28, 2016

"Took Enbrel with methotrexate for four years and it worked great. Developed optic neuritis in right eye and discontinued it. Optic neuritis is inflamation of the optic nerve and is one of the neurological disorder side effects of the drug. Changed diet to eliminate red meat and poultry and sugar and take natural supplements."

Bob H. California (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 20, 2016

"Took 1 injection. Found out I could not afford it because Medicare won't pay. Have never experienced a FLAIR of this nature. I am in so much pain it is unbearable. Hope it goes away soon. I cannot bear it!"

LisaDo1965 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2016

"I took Enbrel for AS for about 3 years. I noticed a huge improvement in joint swelling after the first dose. Enbrel really helped my joints feel great. I was even able to attend aerobic classes! Unfortunately, on year three of treatment, I developed a life threatening infection in my spine. I also suffered heart valve damage. Both of these were declared to be due to the Enbrel. I knew the risks when I began taking this drug. It gave me almost three years of feeling great and leading a normal life. It also almost killed me...."

cowgirl78 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 29, 2016

"I have been on Enbrel for about 8 years and it has been the best experience for me. I had to go off of it for a short time due to surgery and my husband had to help me up out of bed and to even walk because I was in so much pain without it. It is a life changing experience that I don't know what I would do without it."

Elmaab October 5, 2016

"ive been on enbrel for 2 months i have not had any changes. i have diabetes and have pins and needles sticking my feet legs hands. my pins and needles have gotten worst. my joints hurt a lot worst. im trying to keep hope that it will kick in soon. but im getting weary"

polotics September 20, 2016