User Reviews for Enbrel

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Enbrel.

Enbrel Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 359 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Enbrel to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"I live in Western Australia and disturbed by some comments on here. The cost of Embrel is cost of an ordinary prescription $36 for me the government pays the remainder of the cost to the chemist. I also go to the the medical centre every Saturday morning a Dr looks over my prescription and then he advises the nurse to administer the injection also no cost to myself and this is part of nurses duties. I am unsure of the country where people who have made comments referring to cost and that nobody is there to administer the injection for them. I am very lucky to live in Australia as we have the best health system worldwide and everybody is given the opportunity to receive proper medical help whether you are rich or poor there is no discrimination."

Kloppi September 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I developed RA after Breast cancer treatment. After 2 years in terrible pain I started enbrel and the pain was took way like by hand. Stayed with this medication for about 4-5 yrs until the side effect came out. Today I have Multiple Myeloma --an incurable blood cancer with tons of effects and short life. I really don't know if taking Enbrel for RA is worth. Must have an alternative."

DarkBrown September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in January of 2016. Was on methotrexate until March of 2017 with decent improvements. Went on enbrel in March of 2017. Unbelievable results. Feel great. Thanks Amgen!!!"

Phast Phil (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"ENBREL is a life changer. I tried oral therapy (methotrexate, plaquenil, prednisone, etc), and had severe side effects. With ENBREL, the stabbing sensations of a hot knife twisting in my joints stopped. I inject myself weekly in the abdomen with the SureClick pen. 2 out of 104X the injection site bruised. 2 out of 104x using ENBREL, 2 SureClicks failed to inject. AMGEN replaced for free. Surgeries helped me regain hand and arm strength. My 2-yr follow-up X-ray for my total knee replacement was spot on, despite the permanent RA damage to the femur. Double rhizotomy in cervical spine every 6 mos helps. Will replace damaged forefinger and thumb joints this year. Mountain biking again! Thank God for ENBREL!"

loudwaters (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Enbrel for about 5-6 years roughly, I use to take methotrexate and Enbrel, then I stick to Enbrel and it has stabled my arthritis. I am doing it now every 3 weeks and I find my joints hurt after taking it. The best place to do it in my opinion is the upper leg. Sometimes the area I did my injection would itch but it would dissapear after a couple days. Overall I haven't had much complaints using this medicine, I used the sure click which makes things easier then the automatic one."

Curly Sue101 April 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was terrified to take this drug, or any drug that they were going to put me on for the arthritis. I took methotrexate, prednisone and plaquenil which just about did nothing. Went to another Rheumatologist who suggested I try enbrel. Put all the fear aside if you're afraid to inject it because it does not hurt at all and you don't even see the needle (I hate needles). I've only been on it for 3 weeks but my pain has just about gone away and this is coming from someone who could barely get out of bed last April. Haven't had any side effects so we will see how it plays out from here."

Ben D April 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with RA 20 years ago. Never had any serious issues that I could not easily live with until one year ago February. Had a severe flare in shoulders, hands, wrists and other areas. I was put in methotrexate, sulfasalazine and prednisone and plaquinel. Also had several steroid injections. I also needed to take Aleve on a regular basis. I started Enbrel 5 weeks ago. Remarkable results. Haven't taken an Aleve since. I have stopped methotrexate which was giving me a chronic cough. I feel much better."

Phast90 April 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had one injection of Enbrel in the Dr. office two weeks ago it did such a great job on my knees there was no pain, no swelling I felt normal for a change, I could not believe this drug could do so well. I will finally be starting my weekly injections tomorrow. Boy am I ready! The side effects scare me a little now that I have read these reviews."

friendgal10 March 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Enbrel has done a fantastic job of relieving the inflammation and pain associated with my severe RA. I began Enbrel three weeks after surgery unrelated to RA. Almost overnight the inflammation in my hands and the painful joints disappeared after the first injection. Have not experienced any bad side-effects to date, other than some minor sinus issues. I eat raw local honey each day, two tablespoons morning and evening to help keep me healthy. Am on Methotrexate 10 mg injection once a week, as well as Enbrel 50 mg injection once a week. Tried going off Methotrexate, but was back on it after ten days as apparently Enbrel alone is not quite enough to treat my RA."

RA-Don (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My hands have been deteriorating rapidly, they'd closed into a fist and could barely open them, was in pain every day that only huge doses of prednisone (not prescribed) helped. A few days after my first injection the pain was gone and my hands opened up again. I'm hoping this continues to be the case."

Eostara (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Used for about two years. Injection site skin discoloration. Lost effectiveness and caused secondary reaction."

gdvv January 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've gone from 6 sulfasalazine, 1× 15mg tablet form of methotrexate, 4 naproxen and 1 omeprazole a day to only my 1× Enbrel injection and 1× methotrexate injection a week and am 100% better. I'm still exhausted and occasionally have puffy hands but pain and inflammation are gone."

Shellbel (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took Enbrel with methotrexate for four years and it worked great. Developed optic neuritis in right eye and discontinued it. Optic neuritis is inflamation of the optic nerve and is one of the neurological disorder side effects of the drug. Changed diet to eliminate red meat and poultry and sugar and take natural supplements."

Bob H. California (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took 1 injection. Found out I could not afford it because Medicare won't pay. Have never experienced a FLAIR of this nature. I am in so much pain it is unbearable. Hope it goes away soon. I cannot bear it!"

LisaDo1965 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Enbrel for AS for about 3 years. I noticed a huge improvement in joint swelling after the first dose. Enbrel really helped my joints feel great. I was even able to attend aerobic classes! Unfortunately, on year three of treatment, I developed a life threatening infection in my spine. I also suffered heart valve damage. Both of these were declared to be due to the Enbrel. I knew the risks when I began taking this drug. It gave me almost three years of feeling great and leading a normal life. It also almost killed me...."

cowgirl78 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Enbrel for about 8 years and it has been the best experience for me. I had to go off of it for a short time due to surgery and my husband had to help me up out of bed and to even walk because I was in so much pain without it. It is a life changing experience that I don't know what I would do without it."

Elmaab October 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"ive been on enbrel for 2 months i have not had any changes. i have diabetes and have pins and needles sticking my feet legs hands. my pins and needles have gotten worst. my joints hurt a lot worst. im trying to keep hope that it will kick in soon. but im getting weary"

polotics September 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I do have the medication with me(Enbrel) but Im unable to pinch myself due to my damaged fingers because of arthtritis , I went with a nurse to teach me how to do it but was impossible for me to grab the pen I have no grip abilities, tomorrow I will see my R doc to see if a have another options on how to do it, I live by myself and there's no one around to help, and my question is what's the reason nurses woud'nt do it in the office?? Im willing to pay for this service since I can't do it . I need your comments please ?"

kasiloka September 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am starting my first shot of Enbrel next week. I am scared to death of the side effects. I have been on Prednisone and Leflunomide for about 6 months and it has helped, but I am not getting the full relief he had hoped for, so my doctor decided to try weekly Enbrel shots. Feeback? Good or bad experience on Enbrel?"

Anonymous September 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well it's been an hour and a half since my first injection by my doctor in my arm and I feel like a giddy space cadet mentally compared to the insomniatic, sleepless, suicidally depressed wreck that I've been for decades. I started off with misdiagnosed JRA called "growing pains" by my inept pediatrician when i was a child and after it never cleared up I went to see a specialist at age 15 then diagnosed with JRA. It went into a remission in my late teens early twenties then crept back up badly about 6 years ago. I tried every anti-inflammatory in the book and methotrexate with no success only prednisone helped but made me a wee bit too violently insane at times. Basically it's working good so far. 10 stars for enbrel."

ToxicEstates (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began taking Enbrel in 2008 for severe RA after a year of trying a series of other drugs. I lforgot I had RA. Last Nov. I stopped taking it because I had to be on chemo. Things were fine until April when I went into a full blown flare. Extreme morning stiffness lasted 6 hours or more. My thumbs were virtually useless. I hobbled like I was 95 years old with excruciating pain in my feet, knees, hips and neck. I took morphine which did little to suppress the pain. After consulting with my oncologist and rheumatologist I took my first injection of Enbrel in June - expecting it to take another month or longer to stop the flare. I felt much relief 2 days later. Now I'm almost back to normal."

Kishcakes August 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on Enbrel in 2007. The change it has made in the quality of my life is amazing. I prefer the mix-it-yourself 25 mg vials because they don't have preservative like the pre-filled syringes, which causes the horrible burning sensation. These also have tiny thin needles, which make the shot almost pain free. I haven't had psoriasis since about 2008, and my rheumatoid arthritis slowed in progression considerably."

Marsha from California (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It is too expensive and the Amgen company will not help low income people. The private foundations are out of funding. It is not good."

scottfreed April 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had RA for two years now. Started MTX about 7 months ago. I started to get worse, not able to open bedroom door in the morning. Stiffness lasting most of the morning and joint pain all day. MTX increased to max dosage without improvement. I take MTX injections. Started Embrel a month ago, much improved with first injection. Now morning I do not have a lot of stiffness, still have joint pain but it is improving as well. My RA was rated as severe. I've had no real side affects from either drug. I have muscle pain in my legs which I understand can be a side affect of Embrel but it beats the joint pain. I had read that the Embrel injections were painful. I personally did not find that to be true."

52 year old female (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just wanted to share this in case there are any apprehensive people worried about having to get an injection. This is only my first week on Enbrel, but I feel like I have had some loosening of my joints and a reduction in pain. What I really wanted to share was that the injection is not nearly as scary as it sounds and does not cause a lot of pain. I was so scared to get a shot because of the comments online but my boyfriend finally injected my thigh with the sure click auto injector. IT'S NOT THAT BAD! I did it on my upper thigh and I barely felt any pain at all, I really built it up in my head! The side effects (nausea, diarrhea) are worse than the injection but not so severe. If you are new don't waste your time worrying and good luck!"

moonzzzzzzzzz April 11, 2016