User Reviews for Enbrel

Learn more about Enbrel.

Enbrel Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 364 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Enbrel to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"I began taking Enbrel in 2008 for severe RA after a year of trying a series of other drugs. I lforgot I had RA. Last Nov. I stopped taking it because I had to be on chemo. Things were fine until April when I went into a full blown flare. Extreme morning stiffness lasted 6 hours or more. My thumbs were virtually useless. I hobbled like I was 95 years old with excruciating pain in my feet, knees, hips and neck. I took morphine which did little to suppress the pain. After consulting with my oncologist and rheumatologist I took my first injection of Enbrel in June - expecting it to take another month or longer to stop the flare. I felt much relief 2 days later. Now I'm almost back to normal."

Kishcakes August 20, 2016

"I was put on Enbrel in 2007. The change it has made in the quality of my life is amazing. I prefer the mix-it-yourself 25 mg vials because they don't have preservative like the pre-filled syringes, which causes the horrible burning sensation. These also have tiny thin needles, which make the shot almost pain free. I haven't had psoriasis since about 2008, and my rheumatoid arthritis slowed in progression considerably."

Marsha from California (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 17, 2016

"It is too expensive and the Amgen company will not help low income people. The private foundations are out of funding. It is not good."

scottfreed April 17, 2016

"I've had RA for two years now. Started MTX about 7 months ago. I started to get worse, not able to open bedroom door in the morning. Stiffness lasting most of the morning and joint pain all day. MTX increased to max dosage without improvement. I take MTX injections. Started Embrel a month ago, much improved with first injection. Now morning I do not have a lot of stiffness, still have joint pain but it is improving as well. My RA was rated as severe. I've had no real side affects from either drug. I have muscle pain in my legs which I understand can be a side affect of Embrel but it beats the joint pain. I had read that the Embrel injections were painful. I personally did not find that to be true."

52 year old female (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016

"I just wanted to share this in case there are any apprehensive people worried about having to get an injection. This is only my first week on Enbrel, but I feel like I have had some loosening of my joints and a reduction in pain. What I really wanted to share was that the injection is not nearly as scary as it sounds and does not cause a lot of pain. I was so scared to get a shot because of the comments online but my boyfriend finally injected my thigh with the sure click auto injector. IT'S NOT THAT BAD! I did it on my upper thigh and I barely felt any pain at all, I really built it up in my head! The side effects (nausea, diarrhea) are worse than the injection but not so severe. If you are new don't waste your time worrying and good luck!"

moonzzzzzzzzz April 11, 2016

"I have severe RA and was started on MTX about 6 months ago already maxed out and pain and inflammation was doing major damage. Two years ago I was running a mile several times a week and when the RA hit I could not even open my bedroom door. Recently was started on Embrel. After the first shot I noticed a 25% improvement with pain and stiffness. I did not find the shot painful as some describe, but I had already been self injecting the MTX. No other side affects thus far. Looking forward to my second injection this week and continued improvement."

Ridenslide (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2016

"After being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, the very painful debilitating type less than one year ago I called a rheumatologist. She told me I had every indication of rheumatoid arthritis but I had to tell her one more thing I was HIV-positive. Now most of these medications immediately stated not to take it have an infection. Well what is a person to do I have HIV and that's an infection. She gave me time to hash it out and I thought OK I'm going to try it. Of course it's premeasured syringes refrigerated this is how mine was prepared for me. I injected around the navel Area of abdomen. No real pain and no sensitivity occurred. After being on it for six weeks I went for my laboratory results and my doctor called me early on a Saturday morning and stop medication that has caused neutropenia, look it up very serious had to stop it. Now she wants me on it every other week since my blood work has come back normal again But very conflicted as to whether I should or not. Is there anyone else out there with the same condition I have I would love to hear from you thank you hope this helps."

Mr T. (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2016

"So I started Enbrel two days ago and I feel exhausted , nauseous, and have a strange metallic taste in my mouth. Has anyone ever experienced this? I am told I should feel like a new person but I feel uncomfortable."

NewGirlIn Town (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2016

"Was on enbrel for seven years, got relief after first injection. I developed breast cancer this year and feel that enbrel played a part in bringing it on. I wouldn't change a thing though, I would have been crippled by now, I had good years enjoying life while on enbrel. I can no longer take enbrel, and my RA has gotten so much worse. Also taking prednisone, sulfasalazine, and methotrexate."

Lizzie Girl (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 30, 2016

"The new color injectors suck. Harder to push the button and unpredictable on time of injection now tonight the damn thing after 35 seconds didn't retract. When I pulled it away it continues to spray my medicine across the room. Bring back the white sure click."

Shamus Horan (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2016

"I have been on Enbrel for about 2 1/2 years & have really had no relief. Prior I was on methotrexate & ended up having to see a liver transplant doctor because of an acute drug injury to my liver. I now have to see the transplant doctor every 3 months so I'd rather be on Enbrel than Methotrexate. But honestly I feel the Enbrel is just a waste of my time. I've also tried Cimzia, Celebrex, Vioxx, etc. Yet here I am at 42 unable to lift my grandchild & 2 shoulder surgeries & 2 toe replacements while on Enbrel."

CET December 10, 2015

"I've had RA for 8 years. I still had much difficulty doing daily activities while on Methotrexate only. I've been on Enbrel for 15 months and now wouldn't be able to function without it. The Sureclick Autoinjector is a convenient method of administration, but is always quite painful and but fortunately over quickly. I'm so thankful to be on Enbrel."

desert dweller (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 22, 2015

"I was not diagnosed with RA for 6 years due to being overweight. So, after all the agonizing daily pain I went thru, I finally found a doctor that listened. Actually, I found a nurse practitioner that listened! So on went a 2 year stent of trying methotrexate/steroid combo of what came with no results. I was given Enbrel and a next option. It changed my life!!! By the next day I had 50% pain relief. I have been taking it for a couple of years now and I would say I'm about 80% pain free. I don't have joint swelling at all. But the main affected joints hurt when pushed past their limits. I was taken off enbrel for a short time due to insurance and put on Simponi. Within 1 week all the pain and joint swelling returned. I have no s/e also!"

Life saver!!! September 15, 2015

"Had RA for 4 yrs after birth of my baby. I spent 2 years on various meds which did nothing for the pain Then put on Humira which worked wonders for nearly 2 years then started getting flare ups again so they put me on Enbrel 1st injection fine 2nd got small injection site reaction 3Rd injection got massive reaction at injection site & laryngitis Dr diagnosed cellulitis but after reading that laryngitis can be a symptom of allergic reaction I'm leaning towards an allergic reaction and am currently waiting a reply from my rheumatology team!"

The mad hatter (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2015

"I've been on enbrel for about 2 years now. I can't go out in the sun because of the rash i get all over my chest and back ( side effect of enbrel) I never had any eye problems until I started using enbrel, now I need new glasses about every 6 months ( side effect of enbrel) . Do the benefits outweigh the side effects? In my case no! I'm done with enbrel."

RA patient 12345 July 17, 2015

"I realize my review may be very premature, but I wanted to offer some insight from someone who just started taking Enbrel. My first shot was 3 days ago and I already feel like a new woman. In fact, there was a remarkable difference the next morning - less than 12 hours after my first shot! I have had RA for over 15 years; diagnosed at age 16. I have been on methotrexate, leflunomide, and even vioxx back when that was still on the market. Nothing provided the relief I needed, but I was terrified to go on a biologic drug because of all the possible side effects. I finally bit the bullet and started Enbrel because the pain was unbearable and caused terrible depression and even thoughts of suicide. At least for now, Enbrel is a God-send!"

Nicole MO June 20, 2015

"My husband has RA. His doctor sent him to the Indiana Heart Clinic to ensure he had no heart issues before they put him on it. In November 2012 Dr Daly released Tony saying he had NO heart issues so he started Emprel. In January 2013 Tony had a sizable aneurism on his aorta so he underwent heart surgery. In April due to infections he had a 14 Hour surgery to redo all he had done in January. He died on Mothers Day may 12, 2013 of infection. I'm saying that he had a good heart yet two month s after taking Emprel he doesn't. What are the odds? I would not recommend it. Just in case."

MLAdolay14 May 31, 2015

"I was on steroid medication for almost a year, having tapering doses in between. My teeth enamel got disrupted due to side effects of steroid and my haemoglobin count decreased to 8gm%/dL.. After I ceased steroids, I became completely bed-ridden as all my joints were invloved excluding spine, not even able to move for a side change. My rheumatologist suggested Enbrel, and a single dose of Enbrel changed my entire life.. Infact I got a new birth! Now my four doses are done and I am as good as I was before this rheumatoid disorder. Very happy to have Enbrel. I would thank the inventor of Enbrel. Thank You !"

Shilpa M April 7, 2015

"I've been on enbrel with other meds then finally with metrotexato since I was about 19 years old. The other meds I took were strong (harsh). So before I start, the absolute first credit in recovery goes to God. Now about the med, Enbrel, It really has helped me out in living a normal life (just add exercise)... Big difference from not being able to get up to being able to run again. Yet lately each time an injection has been made on my upper left arm, it feels odd. I feel as if the fluid is running into my veins going towards my rib cage. One time it felt as if it was going directly to my heart. Later it would feel warm in those areas, but giving it a few minutes later it would feel cool, oddly fresh. I would like to know if others have had similar symptoms."

Age: 25 March 29, 2015

"Just had my first injection yesterday. I felt better right away. I was really surprise at the fast response!"

Anonymous February 11, 2015

"Enbrel has worked well for me for about 4 years and it has been covered partly by my husband's former employer and Pfizer. It seems, however, that when I turn 65, it will barely be covered on Medicare and supplemental insurance due to Congress approving a renewal of the patent on Enbrel. Also, due to Medicare being a government program, it won't be covered. "

out of luck when I'm old November 15, 2014

"Have had rheumatoid arthritis for 5 years. Taking methotrexate for the whole time. It quit working as well. Just went on Enbrel 12 weeks ago, now have right arm swelling, pitting edema, trying to figure out what it is. I am 47 and shouldn't have any extremity swelling. Have never had any swelling of arms or legs. It is not DVT had ultrasound to rule that out. Common sense would say Enbrel triggered something. Hope it resolves and isn't anything serious."

shadbro (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 14, 2014

"I am so lucky I live in Denmark where it is free to get all kinds of medicines. Enbrel has been working quite well actually for the past 2.5 year, but recently my doctor recommend me to get out of it, and I started by pushing it with 3 days, and the 3 days made my knees swell up. Now I am back with the 7 days interval, but it wont really help as much as before. So, I guess it was too soon to get out of using it."

Asi (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2014

"I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in Feb. 2012 and started Enbrel the following September. I insisted on a biologic, as the methotrexate wasn't doing any good. I'm on 25mg twice weekly. I still have pain, my knees and left hip are the problem areas for me. I'm able to work, but still have to rest (ha ha! ) when I'm off. I would recommend Enbrel, the side effects have been minimal, compared to some of the other treatments."

still kicking (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 23, 2014

"On it 9 weeks. Helps the rheumatoid arthritis, but I'm going bald very fast. Eliminated other DMARDs to confirm it is in fact the Enbrel. I can not lose all my hair, so I'm quitting it. It began falling out in clumps within the first week of shot #1. Too bad. Got the Enbrel card and it covered the cost."

no nick name (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 3, 2014