User Reviews for Etanercept

Also known as: Enbrel, Eticovo, Erelzi

Etanercept has an average rating of 8.1 out of 10 from a total of 280 ratings on Drugs.com. 77% of those users who reviewed Etanercept reported a positive effect, while 11% reported a negative effect.

Still's Disease  Off-label 9.5
Behcet's Disease  Off-label 6.0
Summary of Etanercept reviews 8.1 280 reviews

Reviews for Etanercept

craveforenbrel · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 5, 2021

Enbrel (etanercept) for Ankylosing Spondylitis: “I was diagnosed at 23 (now am 35) with AS. Had some of the worst pain ever experienced in my early 20's. I was lucky enough to be prescribed with Enbrel when around 27 which was covered by my insurance, after my first injection...it gave my life back. No more popping half-a-dozen NSAIDs daily and still experiencing pain. However, I was sent to work overseas for one year, and after arriving home I find out that I had to reapply so that my insurance would cover the costs. I have been trying for the last two years, but my inflammation numbers are just not as bad as my first application. Ah...if only I planned ahead”

ProudNana · Taken for 10 years or more September 28, 2020

Enbrel (etanercept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I feel everyone should know this information if they are considering using Enbrel. I am an RN. My Mother was diagnosed about 20 years ago with Rheumatoid Arthritis. She was around 70-71 years young. She quilts and stays busy. She is now 91 and STILL quilting and gardening, staying busy! I think the combination of someone that stays busy along with the wonder drug, Enbrel, is why she is still able to quilt and do all that she does! Her Rheumatologist shows everyone her xRays because if you saw them you wouldn’t think she could do anything! She’s a beautiful woman inside and out and a great inspiration to others. Her story would be great for an advertisement!! Thank you!”

Michie September 22, 2020

Enbrel (etanercept) for Psoriatic Arthritis: “I started enbrel over 20 years ago for psoriatic arthritis. It worked in 3 weeks and and in 6 week my psoriasis was diminished. No one knew that would happen. Well now 20 years later the enbrel is not working. It was a miracle through this time. Before I couldn’t walk, get out of bed, turn a doorknob. I started Cosentyx 5 weeks ago and the arthritis is at full force and psoriasis is creeping back. What do I do? I was so lucky enbrel lasted so long. Thinking Humira is along the same line? Any thoughts?”

Mike · Taken for 10 years or more September 5, 2020

Enbrel (etanercept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was diagnosed with RA when I was 13 years old and thought I would be wheelchair bound or bedridden when I was in my twenties. When I started enbrel and I can honestly say It's a miracle drug, minor pain I can do anything now but run and I'm 40 years old now great medication needle still hurts but it's truly a blessing”

SGal · Taken for 10 years or more July 28, 2020

Enbrel (etanercept) for Psoriatic Arthritis: “A complete life changer! I've been taking Enbrel for almost 17+ years. I had just turned 30 and I was hobbling through the grocery store on swollen ankles. The pain was constant. My fingers were termed sausage digits. Now I'm 50 and doing pilates and an hour on the elliptical some days... taking my kids on 10 mile hikes up mountains. I had not heard that it was linked to colitis and Crohn's until these posts. I've had those show symptoms twice during my Enbrel years. But I am still an Enbrel fan all the way. Miraculous!”

Laila D · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 19, 2020

Enbrel (etanercept) for Plaque Psoriasis: “I had pustular psoriasis for 3+ years now. It was really really bad for 2 and half years I tried cyclosporine, infliximab and prednisone (the worst) as well as lots and lots of topical ointments that I used incorrectly and left many scarred thinned skin. It wasn't until I started using enbrel that my psoriasis started clearing up. I've been on it almost a year now and I finally don't have to deal with weird stares. It took about 5 months before it actually started working and I still struggle with my scalp and a few areas but way better than before. I hope I can keep taking this for a long period but wondering if I can start tapering down a bit to save costs etc. Will probably have to speak to my derm”

Reenie · Taken for 10 years or more March 27, 2020

Enbrel (etanercept) for Psoriatic Arthritis: “I have had wonderful relief from Enbrel. I would be nonfunctional without it. Its been about 20 years. I am 60 now with no long term adverse issues”

zap March 9, 2020

Enbrel (etanercept) for Plaque Psoriasis: “Nothing else has worked. I have tried them all. Enbrel many years ago did. So I am on it again with cellcept, and I have a long way to go. But feel positive with some clearing.”

Marcie February 19, 2020

Enbrel (etanercept) for Plaque Psoriasis: “Odd muscle pain that moves from place to place. It’s very painful. Wondered if anyone else has had this.”

Hurting but hopeful · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2020

Enbrel (etanercept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I started embrel sure click 4 weeks ago. It has helped. I am also on methotrexate and .5 prednisone. I am hoping to get off of these but am doubtful. The prednisone took away all the swelling which was so painful, as you all know. THE RA came on so quickly in March 2019. By September I could barely walk or hold things. I'm in my early 60s and I felt like 90. Now I'm up and moving. No adverse side effects except exhaustion. Feel like I could sleep all day... although I am also going through intense am. and pm. 'hot flashes'. And the injection is a bit painful but it's over fast. Some site swelling. The drug is extremely expensive and my insurance wont cover it. $1325.00 per injection. My doctor has been working on trying to get me a reduced rate. I literally had to give up working yet I haven't caught a brake on any assistance programs. Good luck to you all on finding your path.”

Mec · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 17, 2020

Enbrel (etanercept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Enbrel has for the third time in as many years has taken over 4 weeks to replace defective pens!! They don’t care about health just money”

KC January 9, 2020

Enbrel (etanercept) for Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Enbrel is a miracle drug. I went from someone who limped when they walked, was in constant low grade pain even on MTX and plaquenil and celebrex, to someone who can run a 10k with no joint pain. RA doesn't even really play much of a role in my life anymore. I've been on Enbrel for several years now (close to 7 I think?) and I can't imagine what my life would be like without it. Also, no real side effects. Literally a wonder drug.”

Hillary · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 15, 2019

Enbrel (etanercept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “This medication Enbrel gave me uncomfortable side effects that I would rather not discuss, however, my doctor took me off the medication immediately and I feel much better on my new medication. I should have listened to my doctor to begin with.”

Lori December 6, 2019

Enbrel (etanercept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have also suffered from eczema and a bonus effect is my skin is flawless and smooth !”

Kcab · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 29, 2019

Enbrel (etanercept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was diagnosed with RA but refused all meds for 2 years because I researched all the potential side effects. I tried diets, yoga, supplements, even psychotherapy (because some drs claim RA has emotional roots). While strict diets did offer pain relief, joint damage persisted. I reluctantly started on Enbrel October 2018. I insisted my doc start me on the lowest dose ( a pediatric dose of 25 mg per week. Advocate for yourself! She would have put me on double the amount I actually needed). 25 mg worked. Within 1-2 weeks, my pain was gone. I've been on it for over a year with zero side effects. I know it's a scary drug so I understand people's fear. I had to work through debilitating panic attacks the first few months ( that's how scared I was of it--I did need some anxiety meds to get me through it), but I have my life back. It's been a miracle drug for me. Both RA and biologics stink, we each have to decide which is worse. I wish everyone the best.”

Babs · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2019

Enbrel (etanercept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “DX with RA December 2018. Now taking MTX, Plaquenil, sulfasalazine and last 3 months added Humira. Not OK yet. Will Start Enbrel in 1 week. Very anxious, reading all of your experiences and life changing diagnosis. Please wish me lots of luck. I have faith that I too will become more optimistic regarding my disease. Thank you all.”

Jasper October 31, 2019

Enbrel (etanercept) for Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: “Was diagnosed with Polyarticular Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis at the age of 16. In 8 months it spread to most of my joints. Doc confirmed diagnoses with MRI of SI joints showing years worth of damage and immediately prescribed Enbrel. For about 3 months it worked perfectly and I was able to exercise again until it started to wear off before the next injection and eventually stopped working altogether. The injections themselves had also become quite painful when it lost effectiveness but with no redness or rash of any kind at injection site, just a painful sting and a short ache. Blood test revealed I had developed antibodies to the Enbrel, making it useless as a treatment. The Enbrel was worth it during the time it did work, some moderate side effects but nothing intolerable like head or stomach ache. Bummer that my body had to reject the medication like that. Getting switched to a combo of Humira and low dosage Methotrexate soon.”

DJ Spoon · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

Enbrel (etanercept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “After four years of out of control RA I did some research on here and asked my Rheumatologist to put me on Enbrel. I'd been on several other biologics and all the other usual suspects but had little relief and horrendous side effects. The only two things that worked for me were steroid injections and over the counter ibuprofen. I'm happy to say the Enbrel worked almost immediately like within the second day which has given me a great deal of hope for the future. The side effects so far after two injections are pretty bad acid reflux after the first injection but not the second and a couple of days of heavy fatigue after both jabs. The overall side effect I'm noticing is a general feeling of gloom and finding everything a bit of an effort. Just wondering if anyone else is feeling this. I intend to stick with Enbrel as its dramatically halted my all over pain and its given me 90 % of my mobility back so far.”

Peytongitl · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 26, 2019

Enbrel (etanercept) for Ankylosing Spondylitis: “I have been on Enbrel for about 4 years for Ankylosing Spondylitis. At first it worked well with no adverse reactions. About 1 1/2 years ago I began developing stomach issues. Eight months ago those issues were diagnosed as Crohn’s disease. I have researched whether or not Enbrel can cause Crohn’s or colitis and some studies indicate it can. Wish I would have known that going in. My doctor wants me to switch to Cimzia but I honestly feel that long term all of these medications are poison.”

chefsallad · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2019

Enbrel (etanercept) for Ankylosing Spondylitis: “Tried enbrel when humira stopped working. 1st dose I had a bad cold that lasted about a month. 2nd dose, I was hospitalized for 3 days with sepsis. Didn't work for me and just made me super sick.”

Husband of patient · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 2, 2019

Enbrel (etanercept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “My wife has been on Enbrel for about 9 years now. It has been a true game changer. She has tried to go off a few times but RA would return and she would have to resume. Unfortunately, she does seem to catch colds rather easily while on Enbrel.”

MW · Taken for 10 years or more July 30, 2019

Enbrel (etanercept) for Psoriatic Arthritis: “Have been on Enbrel for 10+ years with great results. Pain is way down and psoriasis 95% clear. Only now getting a bit of a flareup. We will see. Only side effect I have noticed is a bit of inflammation at the injection site early on.”

Mishel · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 27, 2019

Enbrel (etanercept) for Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: “I can honestly say that this medication has improved my life better than anything else.I've been taken it for about 2 years.I take the shot once a week and even if sometimes it can be a little painful, I can bear than for 10 seconds or less. I can do every sport I like. Also, I am on methotrexate which is not such a pleasant medicine. At some point I took 20 mg per week that made me vomit. After that I've taken 10 mg per week and it s a little better, but I still get nausea. Enbrel was a game changer for me, but I have to see how's methotrexate really working because I saw such horrible reviews that I got a little scared of what might happen to my body.”

jv · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 28, 2019

Enbrel (etanercept) for Psoriatic Arthritis: “Been using Enbrel for 5+ years. when I started I was in terrible pain and could not even close my hands more than 20%. I had joint pain all over. From the second shot the improvement was amazing and the relief has continued to date. I would say Enbrel is a miracle drug for me.”

Guinea pig · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 27, 2019

Enbrel (etanercept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I started it with the Enbrel sure click 50mg. I've taken Enbrel for 2 months. My finger pain seems to be going away. My doctor recently changed it to the mini sure click. I find the injection to be painful. I didn't have this issue with the regular sure click. I do like the lights and the sounds that lets you know it's complete. I will continue talking it.”