User Reviews for Eslicarbazepine to treat Epilepsy

Also known as: Aptiom

Eslicarbazepine has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 6 ratings for the treatment of Epilepsy. 50% of those users who reviewed Eslicarbazepine reported a positive effect, while 0% reported a negative effect.

Eslicarbazepine Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Epilepsy.

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2020

Aptiom (eslicarbazepine): “I have been on Dilantin for nearly 15 years. Currently been seizure free for 10. My neurologist put me on Aptiom as he planned to take me off medication all together. It was fine until I had to double the dosage. The headaches are extreme. There is some random numbness in my extremities. I also have random tremors. The side effects have been scarier than the seizures. Came off of it for weeks and still have the side effects. I think this med is great in small dosage, but that’s it.”

Winnie the Pooh · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 29, 2019

Aptiom (eslicarbazepine): “This has been the most effective medicine of all the seizure medications I have tried, which has been a lot. I agree that the medicine is extremely expensive, which is a major downside to using it. Still, if it helps, then it helps.”

Joe July 3, 2019

Aptiom (eslicarbazepine): “Side effects experienced: Rash. Waking up in the middle of the night. Low NaCl. Very expensive. Tegretol less side effects same drug Less expensive!”

Dara · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 10, 2019

Aptiom (eslicarbazepine): “The seizure control is great. One big problem with this drug is that it can cause hypothyroidism. My son was hypothyroid before going on this medication and now it has dropped his levels drastically even when he is on thyroid medication. If this doesn't improve with more thyroid medication he will have to stop the Aptiom. I hope this doesn't happen because its the only one he can take.”

Dara · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 14, 2019

Aptiom (eslicarbazepine): “Well my son's Aptiom dose was upped to 400 mg and now the side effects have started - a real dry cough and a bit of trouble breathing. I hope in the next couple days this improves otherwise he will have to come off of it. He is supposed to increase it to 600 mg in a couple of days which I will be leary to do in case the breathing gets worse. As in my other review I mentioned my son has 22q11 ( deletion of a small piece of chromosome 22) which unfortunately makes him very sensitive to medications. I really hope this one works although the cost is super expensive.”

Alex November 14, 2018

Aptiom (eslicarbazepine): “Seizure control ok so far. Mild skin rash from 1200mg once a day. Will ask doctor about either reducing dosage or taking 600mg twice a day.”

Learn more about Epilepsy